PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Thomas

thebigchill
02-26-2008, 10:39 AM
I was very pleased with Kurt Thomas' play last night. He came into the game and made an imediate impact. It takes a tough vet to do that. He just seems to know where to be and already seems to have a feel for the system. I know it's early, but I've got a feeling he's gonna be big for us down the stretch. Sometimes, with some guys you just know it's a great fit from top to bottom. For me, he's definately one of em. Plus he looks damn sexy in a Spurs uni. Yes I do already have a man crush on Kurt. :cheer
Any thoughts? BTW as you can see, this is my first post. I recently "left" another leading forum and decided on settling down here. Takes a while to get to know you guys, but so far I like what I see. Things seem a little more liberal over here. Thanks for having me :toast

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Hey Dusty.

SenorSpur
02-26-2008, 11:08 AM
I agree with you. Kurt is going to pay HUGE dividends to this team during this stretch drive and on into the playoffs. Good understanding of the game. Tough, physical defender and an awesome rebounder. Deosn't have much lateral quickness at this stage of this career, but can always drain that baseline jumper. He's a real pro.

I remember watching him over the years and have long thought he'd be a good fit here. I'm sure he'll prove me right.

Welcome to the forum!

Spuradicator
02-26-2008, 11:16 AM
I really liked what I saw from Kurt. Come playoff time he will be properly acclimated to the team and prove to be a real asset. We now have the toughest Bigs in the league.

duncan228
02-26-2008, 11:17 AM
I recently "left" another leading forum and decided on settling down here.

Things seem a little more liberal over here.

Welcome.

"A little more liberal" could be the understatement of the day.

You can say spurs report here. :)

Soul_Patch
02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Kurt Thomas definately impressed me last night...But then again, i was expecting him to.

Supreme_Being
02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Hello and welcome.

SAGambler
02-26-2008, 11:31 AM
I think this has been an excellent addition. Dude looks like he was born to be a Spur.

When u realize that in 20 some less minutes than Duncan, he had 1 less rebound and 1 less block, I think he is going to take some of the defensive burden off Tim.

Now if the guy can just manage to put up around 10 or so a game, I think we have a winner.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-26-2008, 11:36 AM
I was amazed at how well adjusted he looked on the defensive end last night. Obviously covering a guy 1 on 1 in the post is going to be most the same on any team, but he seemed to have a good grasp on the entire defensive system which has flummoxed so many new comers.

Obviously there are much tougher tests for him on this team to come, but he definitely showed that his reputation as a smart player and consumate professional is very well deserved.

hater
02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
bye bye Oberto.

travis2
02-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Said this elsewhere, but here's a good place too...

The first pick he set...absolutely rock-solid. It made me realize just how sloppy most of the screens the other Spurs set are. It was immediately noticeable.

remingtonbo2001
02-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Nice post and welcome.

The more the merrier!

Medvedenko
02-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Great pick up boys. I have always liked Kurt's game and have lobbied for him to go to the Lakers. He'll definitely help, although a little undersized he plays bigs very well.

Rummpd
02-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Great pick up boys. I have always liked Kurt's game and have lobbied for him to go to the Lakers. He'll definitely help, although a little undersized he plays bigs very well.

Meanwhile, for all his offensive talents, Gasol is soft as charmin on defense and Bynum, even if healthy, is out of position a lot. Lakers for all the media enthusiasm ought to temper their hopes for the post-season.

duncan228
02-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Lakers for all the media enthusiasm ought to temper their hopes for the post-season.

It's not just the media and their fans.
From what I read here in Southern California the Lakers themselves, and Phil, have heads full of steam. They have no doubt that they are Title contenders now and in the foreseeable future.

FromWayDowntown
02-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Said this elsewhere, but here's a good place too...

The first pick he set...absolutely rock-solid. It made me realize just how sloppy most of the screens the other Spurs set are. It was immediately noticeable.

I was struck by that as well.

He also made a tremendous outlet pass to Parker during the third quarter.

Little things can add up.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Meanwhile, for all his offensive talents, Gasol is soft as charmin on defense and Bynum, even if healthy, is out of position a lot. Lakers for all the media enthusiasm ought to temper their hopes for the post-season.
Gasol is an excellent finisher, as good as Kobe's had since Shaq, and should continue to flourish since other teams don't have the luxury of throwing multiple bodies at him like they could when he was in Memphis. Any team that can't defend the Lakers straight up is going to have problems. I'm pretty happy with the defensive matchups the Spurs can throw at them.

thebigchill
02-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Welcome.

"A little more liberal" could be the understatement of the day.

You can say spurs report here. :)

Thank you. I'd rather not mention_____ here. Kinda makes me :vomit:

Everyone seems a lot chiller and more open here. Sometimes things get a bit heated when discussing sports and I for one appreciate an open forum where all are welcome and free to speak their minds regardless of power-tripping "mods" who still haven't quite given up their dreams of stardom. That's not a bash at all mods, just certain ones whom I would presume know who they are. Anywho, I hope I can contribute something to these forums and if I happen to say something that some might find offensive, I apologize and I encourage you to call me out on it. I am a passionate person, especially when it comes to our boys so I get heated at times. But I've got love for all. So thank you all for the welcome and here's to what should be an interesting and victorious stretch run in 08 :toast

LakerMagic
02-26-2008, 12:46 PM

I think you are a bit over confident. There is a reason EVERYONE has the Lakers ranked #1 AND the team to beat.

spursfan09
02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I think you are a bit over confident. There is a reason EVERYONE has the Lakers ranked #1 AND the team to beat.

It's called media hype.

hater
02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
There is a reason EVERYONE has the Lakers ranked #1 AND the team to beat.

media hype?

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Oh no, the dreaded mid-season non-binding NBA media rankings.

LakerMagic
02-26-2008, 12:52 PM
media hype?

uh, try best midseason trade.

Mr. Body
02-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Thank you. I'd rather not mention_____ here. Kinda makes me :vomit:

Everyone seems a lot chiller and more open here. Sometimes things get a bit heated when discussing sports and I for one appreciate an open forum where all are welcome and free to speak their minds regardless of power-tripping "mods" who still haven't quite given up their dreams of stardom. That's not a bash at all mods, just certain ones whom I would presume know who they are. Anywho, I hope I can contribute something to these forums and if I happen to say something that some might find offensive, I apologize and I encourage you to call me out on it. I am a passionate person, especially when it comes to our boys so I get heated at times. But I've got love for all. So thank you all for the welcome and here's to what should be an interesting and victorious stretch run in 08 :toast

Well, fuck you then. :hat

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Everyone thinks the icecaps are melting due to cars, too. The NBA's hard-on is for Lakers vs. Lakers, and ESPN/ABC's hard-on is for ratings now that their contract is signed. The only thing all those rankings do is give the Lakers no excuse for failing to get out of the west. As a Spurs fan, I'm all broken up at the lack of media attention commanded by my team.

bresilhac
02-26-2008, 01:19 PM
uh, try best midseason trade.

How about best mid-season collusion? The Lakers are all about hype and show. The national media has very nearly crowned them champions already and that doesn't bother me one bit. Last year at this time, if you'll recall, it was the Mavericks who were supposed to have a cakewalk to the championship. And look what happened to them.

As has been mentioned the Lakers are super popular with the media mostly because of Bryant and the TV ratings he commands. Not because the rest of the team is anything particularly special on the court. If I were a Laker fan I would temper my enthusiasm with a reality check at this point in the season. Knowing that San Antonio will be in the playoffs too. And they, not the Lakers are the proven champs. And the real team to beat.

boutons_
02-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Defense wins championship (ask the smash-mouth Giants).

Gasol sucks on defense and boards.

Kurt is solid at both.

Fucking amazing mid-season trade that boosts the Spurs exactly when and where they it.

And he can rebound and defend and block/alter shots (aka "fundamentals") immediately, without fully mastering the Spurs system. Instant payoff.

Perhaps shaking up the paint rotation so Robert and Fab get a good PT kick in the butt.

DDS4
02-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Interesting how Kurt and Oberto (to some extent) fit in quickly while other guys like Rasho, Elson, and Nazr took quite a bit of time.

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 01:28 PM
It took a while, but finally the Spurs have someone who knows how to play like a NBA big.

Medvedenko
02-26-2008, 02:32 PM
How about best mid-season collusion? The Lakers are all about hype and show. The national media has very nearly crowned them champions already and that doesn't bother me one bit. Last year at this time, if you'll recall, it was the Mavericks who were supposed to have a cakewalk to the championship. And look what happened to them.

As has been mentioned the Lakers are super popular with the media mostly because of Bryant and the TV ratings he commands. Not because the rest of the team is anything particularly special on the court. If I were a Laker fan I would temper my enthusiasm with a reality check at this point in the season. Knowing that San Antonio will be in the playoffs too. And they, not the Lakers are the proven champs. And the real team to beat.

No one is saying the Spurs aren't the team to beat.....

However we are the best team in the West and have the best point diff while previously going 11-1 on the road without our best defensive players. But it's all hype I tells ya...all hype.

Also, I wans't sure that the "media" plays in the Laker games. Interesting thought. All of the media crap is just sour grapes from small market teams. Here's a thought, why don't you just rest on your championship laurels and strong team ethic than get caught up in the "media's" ramblings. A bunch of pussies on this forum.

baseline bum
02-26-2008, 02:50 PM
It's called media hype.

I've watched a lot of their games (since I live in LA), and Gasol is pretty impressive on that team. Dude is shooting like 64% since the trade.

baseline bum
02-26-2008, 02:50 PM
bye bye Oberto.

Nah, Fabricio has played well for this team. More like bye bye Bonner.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Point differential is not a bullshit stat at all, but didn't Kobe get ejected from a game while they were up by 31 points? Not sure the stat means as much when you have your best players running up the score in garbage time. Their second team is more than capable of scoring points in bunches.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure why people claiming to be Spurs fans think Thomas' arrival automatically means someone has to go. Last I checked it's a team sport. I agree with you that Oberto isn't going anywhere. Regardless, if Bonner is on his way out, it's due to his play and is unrelated to the KT trade.

baseline bum
02-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure why people claiming to be Spurs fans think Thomas' arrival automatically means someone has to go. Last I checked it's a team sport.

I meant his playing time.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 02:55 PM
I meant his playing time.
And that wasn't directed at you. I quoted you because I agree with you about Oberto. I agree with you again; any meaningful minutes Bonner might have gotten thrown evaporated with this trade.

JPB
02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm always surprised to see how some people overestimate the meaning of the regular season.

Two years ago, it was the Pistons, then Dallas and Phoenix last year and now the Lakers.

Playoffs are an all different story, it's not the same game anymore.

Experience as a team and defense prevails then.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm always surprised to see how some people overestimate the meaning of the regular season.

Two years ago, it was the Pistons, then Dallas and Phoenix last year and now the Lakers.

Playoffs are an all different story, it's not the same game anymore.

Experience as a team and defense prevails then.
In my years of watching NBA basketball, I don't remember a year where getting home court advantage was so important. Having the best record isn't an indication that a team is going to just automatically advance, but failing to acknowledge that playoff position is critical, particularly in this year's western conference, would be insanity.

Medvedenko
02-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Point differential is not a bullshit stat at all, but didn't Kobe get ejected from a game while they were up by 31 points? Not sure the stat means as much when you have your best players running up the score in garbage time. Their second team is more than capable of scoring points in bunches.

Actually he left mid way through the 3rd q when we hit our highest point diff of that game. Not really running up the score when it's still the 3rd period.

thebigchill
02-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Well, fuck you then. :hat

Now that's what I'm talkin bout! :devil

infinitesimile
02-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Every year the Spurs are always overlooked. Does it really f'n matter anymore? i was pissed about for a while but i got over it. I just do what the Spurs do and dust it off my shoulder. It's the same old, same old.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Actually he left mid way through the 3rd q when we hit our highest point diff of that game. Not really running up the score when it's still the 3rd period.
Garbage time is garbage time, no matter when it happens. If Kobe's in the game when they are up 31, then he was probably there when they were up 26. Even if you justify the practice as somehow not being unwise, you certainly can't expect to bring up point differential and be taken seriously.

nfg3
02-26-2008, 04:32 PM
I liked what I saw in him last night. 13 mins and 9 boards - now that's a stat that we needed. We've lost several games (I'm sure that some of you can tell me which ones) where our lack of defensive rebounds was the difference. A board here and there probably would have given us a couple more wins this year. He's smart and disciplined - traits that go a long way with Pop.

Oberto's a smart player, too. Very nice tandem to have. I'm down with this! :smokin

Chucho
02-26-2008, 05:02 PM

See: 04 Pacers, 04 Lakers, 05 Heat, 06 Pistons, 07 Mavericks.

Media hype is NEVER right. Never. Each of the following teams were called the team to beat going into the playoffs in the respective seasons by either that dipshit Steven A. Smith (who is like 0 for 50 in playoff predictions a month before) and ESPN and other media outlets. How many of those teams won a title? Exactly.

The Lakers have been slurped by J.A Adande and Smith and a bunch of other biased west-coast writters for the past three seasons despite doing dick in the post season. They have blind love for Kobe. He's a great player and the second best behind LBJ. But face it, he hasn't won shit since Shaq left town and he might not have that "it" that players like Duncan, Shaq and James have. He's never showed that, and now that he is "happy" he is a team player for the first time since Shaq left, and suddenly the Lakers are "the team to beat"?? Yeah right. The team to beat is the team who won the title last season, the team who is going to take first place as soon as the Lakers lose one game, the team that has 3 of the past five titles, The Spurs. Media hype is so over rated in the American culture today. So many people take what is published as gospel.And the media is seldom right when pertaining to sports. The Lakers are a great team, but in the cut throat West it's up for grabs and the law of averages (which is usually more correct than the media) suggests the Spurs have the best shot at taking it, and they are the team to beat.

Rydia
02-26-2008, 05:32 PM
I was very pleased with Kurt Thomas' play last night. He came into the game and made an imediate impact. It takes a tough vet to do that. He just seems to know where to be and already seems to have a feel for the system. I know it's early, but I've got a feeling he's gonna be big for us down the stretch. Sometimes, with some guys you just know it's a great fit from top to bottom. For me, he's definately one of em. Plus he looks damn sexy in a Spurs uni. Yes I do already have a man crush on Kurt. :cheer
Any thoughts? BTW as you can see, this is my first post. I recently "left" another leading forum and decided on settling down here. Takes a while to get to know you guys, but so far I like what I see. Things seem a little more liberal over here. Thanks for having me :toast
Dude! Man Crush?! I had a crush on him when he was on the stinking suns!!

Watch Out Girls--- When you see him in a suit with he glasses...wow!

Soooo Happy to have him!! :married:

CaptainLate
02-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Kurt is going to pay HUGE dividends to this team during this stretch drive and on into the playoffs....Tough, physical defender and an awesome rebounder. Deosn't have much lateral quickness at this stage of this career, but can always drain that baseline jumper.

Gadzooks!! After reading the recent Harvey/Monroe column, I'm surprised the guy is still playing 10 years after breaking both ankles a total of four times. :dizzy

CaptainLate
02-26-2008, 05:44 PM

I suspect Bonner was given a 3-yr deal because he'll be getting PT in the next two yrs after Horry retires this yr with ring #7. :king

CaptainLate
02-26-2008, 05:48 PM
In my years of watching NBA basketball, I don't remember a year where getting home court advantage was so important. Having the best record isn't an indication that a team is going to just automatically advance, but failing to acknowledge that playoff position is critical, particularly in this year's western conference, would be insanity.

Then call me :dizzy . Most of the pundits I've read agree that with the Spurs, the homecourt isn't a big deal. Nice to have, no doubt...but winners win. Barring injuries, they should have it for the first two rounds. :hungry:

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Then call me :dizzy . Most of the pundits I've read agree that with the Spurs, the homecourt isn't a big deal. Nice to have, no doubt...but winners win. Barring injuries, they should have it for the first two rounds. :hungry:
Most of the pundits repeat what they hear others say, :dizzy, or might go by history. This year is anything but typical. With as tightly compacted as the conference is, the likelihood of long playoff battles is raised. Anyone that doesn't want game seven on their floor is foolish.

Flux451
02-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Kurt is the second to last piece needed to win this years playoffs. You know who the other is.

He is going to push the team higher in offensive points and lower the opponents points. Which they are already #3.

thebigchill
02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Most of the pundits repeat what they hear others say, :dizzy, or might go by history. This year is anything but typical. With as tightly compacted as the conference is, the likelihood of long playoff battles is raised. Anyone that doesn't want game seven on their floor is foolish.
I agree that ideally it's to every team's advantage to have home court advantage throughout playoffs. I think the question is: at what cost? Do you want your guys diving into the 4th row every night in February/March?My opinion is a balance of the two. But that's easier to say when your team can coast at 75% all season and still maintain a decent seed, let alone get into the playoffs. I know I'm assuming a lot, but my team is the Spurs and they're freaking talented! Reality is we don't Need home court. It's just nicer to sleep in your own bed after celebrating.

oboymeetsogirl
02-26-2008, 06:56 PM
"Same ol' shit," it sure is. What's up with these sportswriters, jumping up and down about the Lakers? Haven't they been paying attention these past few years? It's not the teams with the biggest stars that end up at the top, it's the teams with the strongest D and team-first mentality that are standing in the end. If individual star power and MVP-like stats made the difference, then it would have been teams like the Suns, Mavs, Nuggets and Timberwolves who would be hoisting up the trophies, not the Spurs and Pistons.

Hey, the Lakers are suddenly loaded. Big deal. It's what you do with the parts that count. If, by the end of the season, I see the Lakers playing with the same kind of chemistry that the Spurs and Pistons have been playing with these past four, five years (and which, by the way, we're obviously starting to see in the Jazz), then I'll change my tune.

Meanwhile, all this talk about Laker dominance does is remind me of all the talk about the Patriots before the last Super Bowl. To paraphrase Mike Tyson, everyone's a champion until they punched in the mouth. The NBA playoffs are not hospitable to teams with weak wills and me-me attitudes. Kobe has some guts, and so does Phil Jackson (although he ain't on the floor). But until guys like Lamar Odom and Pau Gasol show me that they can play with any semblance of intensity, teamwork and D-mentality, the Lakers can't be favorites. This is not theory, it's fact. All you need do is look at the makeup of the most recent NBA champs.

DubMcDub
02-26-2008, 07:01 PM
So, if the Mavs were to meet the Spurs in the playoffs, who guards Dirk now (assuming Bowen is on Howard-- I realize sometimes he's on Dirk)?

Elson was a scrub, and certainly no "Dirk stopper" as he was made out to be....but I'm chuckling at the prospect of KT trying to guard Dirk.

mavsfan1000
02-26-2008, 07:07 PM
So, if the Mavs were to meet the Spurs in the playoffs, who guards Dirk now (assuming Bowen is on Howard-- I realize sometimes he's on Dirk)?

Elson was a scrub, and certainly no "Dirk stopper" as he was made out to be....but I'm chuckling at the prospect of KT trying to guard Dirk.
Oberto and KT will probably take turns in guarding Dirk. Dirk will probably have a field day though having 2 bigs will make it tougher for everyone else on Dallas.

td4mvp21
02-26-2008, 07:13 PM

I honestly think Oberto will be given the task, which is fine with me, it's not like he's going to suck at it. I think Pop shouldn't focus so much on stopping Dirk, but rather on stopping Howard, Terry, and Stackhouse.

DespЏrado
02-26-2008, 07:17 PM

Udoka and Manu take Howard, Bowen takes Dirk. It's as simple as that.

Speaking of Kurt this guy really reminds me of a better version of Horace Grant. The guy cleans up the glass and makes the smart play at a level that is better than Horace. Kurt's ability to lock on defensively to player reminds me of what Horace did for the 2001 Lakers.

thebigchill
02-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Who's Tim guarding again?

barbacoataco
02-26-2008, 07:46 PM
I like the Thomas trade because the Spurs got what they wanted, while only giving up two players who weren't even playing. The Suns had to give up Marion to get Shaq, so what they lost in Marion's skills (good defense and shooting) will catch up to them, since they now have a hole in their defense. Hill and Nash can't guard anybody, that leaves the Suns with one perimeter player (bell) who can defend.
It is much better in a trade to get something you need, while not giving up anything, than to get what you need, but create another need in doing so. That is why the Spurs are smart, they chip away at their needs gradually, instead of selling the farm in desperation.

HighLowLobForBig-50
02-26-2008, 07:53 PM
I honestly think Oberto will be given the task, which is fine with me, it's not like he's going to suck at it. I think Pop shouldn't focus so much on stopping Dirk, but rather on stopping Howard, Terry, and Stackhouse.

i agree . the best "Dirk Stopper" is Dirk himself. He makes AK47 look mentally stable

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Who's stopping Duncan, Parker, & Ginobili?

T Park
02-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Bowen, Udoka, and Horry.

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2006/07/13/mcmahon.jpg

Hi-Oh!

T Park
02-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Ed McMahon is the dirk stopper

nice :smokin

DubMcDub
02-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Udoka and Manu take Howard, Bowen takes Dirk. It's as simple as that.

Speaking of Kurt this guy really reminds me of a better version of Horace Grant. The guy cleans up the glass and makes the smart play at a level that is better than Horace. Kurt's ability to lock on defensively to player reminds me of what Horace did for the 2001 Lakers.

Simple as that until Howard drops 30. Udoka's a nice player but he can't hang with him. And for all of Manu's offensive prowess, he would be even worse at trying to stay with Howard.

The best solution is probably what was mentioned above. Just leave Fab on Dirk and let Bowen guard Howard as much as possible.

barbacoataco
02-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Udoka has no problem defending Lebron, so I don't think Howard is a stretch.

thebigchill
02-26-2008, 09:02 PM
Simple as that until Howard drops 30. Udoka's a nice player but he can't hang with him. And for all of Manu's offensive prowess, he would be even worse at trying to stay with Howard.

The best solution is probably what was mentioned above. Just leave Fab on Dirk and let Bowen guard Howard as much as possible.

I could get by Fab. Seriously do you live in a dream world? Mav fans are almost as flaky as El Presidente Cuban :spin

td4mvp21
02-26-2008, 09:04 PM

I think Dirk is a major matchup problem because Pop makes it one. He is a matchup problem for us but not to the extent into which our defense should get altered. He completely changes the way we play to matchup with Dirk and he shouldn't do that. If he would just leave one big man (Oberto) on Dirk, and try to shut down Howard and Terry, the Spurs would be good IMO. He can't go small unless the Mavs go small.

thebigchill
02-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Dub: You should worry more about Mav's O than Spurs' D

T Park
02-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Udoka's a nice player but he can't hang with him.

:lmao

DespЏrado
02-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Udoka is probably the most underrated player in the nba right now. I would rather have him than just about anybody in his price/ skill set range IE- I don't think there is a better 7th man in the NBA right now that fulfills the spurs needs the way Udoka does. And I'm not kidding.

Kurt Thomas and Udoka make this team so much tougher it's not even funny.

I really think we are getting back to Popovich molded teams. The ones that went after players like Mario Elie and Jerome Kersey. Tough sons who can really play defense.

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Udoka is probably the most underrated player in the nba right now. I would rather have him than just about anybody in his price/ skill set range IE- I don't think there is a better 7th man in the NBA right now that fulfills the spurs needs the way Udoka does. And I'm not kidding.

I really think we are getting back to Popovich molded teams. The ones that went after players like Mario Elie and Jerome Kersey. Tough sons who can really play defense.

Plus Thomas brings a nice offensive skill set.

T Park
02-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah with Thomas it would make packing the paint to stop Parker pretty tough as Duncan and Thomas can draw out the bigs.

SenorSpur
02-26-2008, 10:11 PM

:toast

Here, here. Udoka is one, tough, hard-nosed player. I saw him for the first time last year in a game, coincidentally, versus the Spurs. He lit them up in the 2nd quarter, but it was his on-the-ball defense, rebounding and 2nd chance points that caught my attention. He's in the mold of a Raja Bell, and others that you've named. He's not only physically tough, but he is mentally tough too.

You add Kurt Thomas to the mix, and I agree, this makes the Spurs vaunted team defense, all that much better.

DespЏrado
02-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Plus Thomas brings a nice offensive skill set.

So true, oh how I freaking detested that midrange jumper when he was with the Suns. That crap pissed me off so much...because he always hit it.

I am very much looking forward to being on the receiving end of his points.

T Park
02-26-2008, 10:14 PM
So true, oh how I freaking detested that midrange jumper when he was with the Suns. That crap pissed me off so much...because he always hit it.

I am very much looking forward to being on the receiving end of his points.

Yeah Nash pick and rolling out to Thomas at the free throw line was a gauranteed 2 points every time.

NRHector
02-26-2008, 10:34 PM
fuck the lakers

BonnerDynasty
02-26-2008, 11:04 PM
I've never paid much attention to K Thomas.

Does he have a rep as being one of these old school physical old dog players? He's got the crazy eyes, the swagger. Him and Horry should be able to lay down the law imo.

You all KNOW Shaq is going to punish Manu and Tony when they try to penetrate.

DespЏrado
02-26-2008, 11:27 PM
I've never paid much attention to K Thomas.

Does he have a rep as being one of these old school physical old dog players? He's got the crazy eyes, the swagger. Him and Horry should be able to lay down the law imo.

You all KNOW Shaq is going to punish Manu and Tony when they try to penetrate.

Egh he's kind of a mix. Like I said he reminds me of Horace Grant, not really an enforcer per say but willing to set a hard pick and clean up the boards. He's able to score with a jumper pretty much any where on the floor, and he is known for his on the ball defense.

debo
02-26-2008, 11:33 PM
fuck the lakers

well put

K-State Spur
02-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Oberto and KT will probably take turns in guarding Dirk. Dirk will probably have a field day though having 2 bigs will make it tougher for everyone else on Dallas.

Let him. Dirk can have his. In 2006, it was allowing Howard, Harris, and Stackhouse to go off as well that killed the Spurs.

That, plus, the Spurs got no offensive production from anybody outside the Big 3 other than Finley.

stevenger
02-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Kurt Thomas is a veteren center. In play offs he can help Spurs. Also he is a good defender.