PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry still uncertain

Jeremy
02-26-2008, 01:01 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022608.BarryUpdate.en.2e434649.html

“As of 10 a.m. (Tuesday), there is no decision,” Barry said. “There have been so many changes over the past few days it’s very difficult. Just because I’ve cleared, I don’t have a timetable that today is the day I have to decide.”

WildcardManu
02-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Well that's a relief.

Dex
02-26-2008, 01:04 PM
http://www.udel.edu/global/agenda/2003/Gallery-Thumbnails/cia.jpg

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
If Pop wants him, Pop's reached out to him.

spursfan09
02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Ugh Ok this is to much. To be stressing over a guy who's not named Tony, Manu or Tim. I'm just gonna wait it out now.

YODA
02-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Guy being smart and gonna take the time to make the right decision. Imagine all these people calling him pleading to get him. Its alot of pressure for anyone. Speaking of which, we keep hearing how Steve Kerr and Nash have talked to him and how Houston and His brother have sort of went after him and even Boston, but what about San Antonio? All I know is that were in the hunt, but has any of the players talked to him and has Pop made the extra effort( come to see him at home) to get him. Im sure Barry recalls Pop going to see Staudamire at home. Poor Brent having everyone want him is making it nice, but the best fit is hard to come by. I, obviously gonna say the SPurs are the b est fit, but if i had to pick someone else....Heck, I cant, I dont think he is a great fit for any of these teams. STAY BRENT STAY

duncan228
02-26-2008, 01:10 PM
I read somewhere that Pop and some of the team had called him.

spursfan09
02-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Manu said he called him the other day. It was on the News.

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Barry draws it out to see if anyone will offer him more than the min. Also somewhat smart to act like it's a tough decision. Then again, maybe he's just joking around.

easjer
02-26-2008, 01:13 PM
And so Barry Watch '08 continues . . .

YODA
02-26-2008, 01:13 PM
I read somewhere that Pop and some of the team had called him.

POP just needs to go to his house. Simple as a handshake and a sorry for putting him in this position. :depressed

spursfan09
02-26-2008, 01:16 PM
POP just needs to go to his house. Simple as a handshake and a sorry for putting him in this position. :depressed

I'm sure pop has done that. And if not then maybe the Spurs don't want him back too badly. He's been injured for the most part. He won't be able to play for at least another month. Spurs know it will be hard for him to have playing time with Manu, Fin, Stoudermire, Parker and Vaughn.

boutons_
Too much love!

At the end of his career, I bet he follows the money.

"Per qualche dollaro in pił"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059578/

If he re-signs with Spurs for this/next year, I'd suggest a no-trade clause.

Bruno
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=766538&start=24

My first piece of info...

Barry called last night and said he was coming to Phoenix...then called back 5 minutes later and said his agent got another offer. Steve is on his way to SA to try to convince him. Stay tuned.

The guy who writes that seems quite reliable. He was the first to speak about a Shaq to Phoenix trade.

polandprzem
02-26-2008, 01:19 PM
I've heard that Pop invited Barry to a dinner, also he gave him 3 botles of wine and ofcourse Barry drank them all.
No worries he has already signed with spurs. ;)

BonnerDynasty
02-26-2008, 01:21 PM
WTF would he go to PHX.

timvp
02-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Barry is thisclose to becoming a San Antonio legend.

Make the right choice. F the Suns.

naico
02-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Manu said he called him the other day. It was on the News.

could you elaborate on that..

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Unless the Suns are offering more $, that makes no sense.

naico
02-26-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=766538&start=24

The guy who writes that seems quite reliable. He was the first to speak about a Shaq to Phoenix trade.

If thats true than he aint even considering the spurs..

Trainwreck2100
02-26-2008, 01:31 PM
you can scratch Houston off the list

spursfan09
02-26-2008, 01:33 PM
could you elaborate on that..

He called him like after the trade. He just said that he spoke with him and Barry didn't know what he wanted to do. You know the same stuff that's been being said around here. Nothing too out of the blue. I was just replying to those who have thought the Spurs aren't trying to reach him.

SpursWoman
02-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Oh, dayam. :drunk

K-State Spur
02-26-2008, 01:36 PM

why? now the rockets can offer him not just PT, but a starting gig at the '5'.

naico
02-26-2008, 01:37 PM
He called him like after the trade. He just said that he spoke with him and Barry didn't know what he wanted to do. You know the same stuff that's been being said around here. Nothing too out of the blue. I was just replying to those who have thought the Spurs aren't trying to reach him.

thanx man

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-26-2008, 01:37 PM
If thats true than he aint even considering the spurs..

Actually, as the Spurs could offer more than anyone else in the running for Barry, it could mean he is coming back to SA if that's even true.

whottt
02-26-2008, 01:39 PM
AggieHoopsfan speaketh the truth...

In fact if you consider the fact that the Spurs have more to offer than anyone else...what Barry is doing makes quite a bit of sense....he wants to get some of that MLE.

timvp and I were talking about this already though...if he wants Pop to love him, he'll just take the vet min deal....he should have learned his lesson that it isn't much fun being overpaid(in Pop's eyes) on the Spurs.

Even if you get the money...that doesn't mean you are going to enjoy it...just ask Malik Rose.

spursfan09
02-26-2008, 01:48 PM
thanx man

You mean woman, or girl, but thats okay!

Dex
02-26-2008, 01:51 PM
If you ask me, this is all going according to plan.

picnroll
02-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Barry probably watched the Suns - Pistons game.

1Parker1
02-26-2008, 01:53 PM

Make the right choice. F the Suns.

Why exactly would Barry become a legend if he chooses to come back to SA?

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Barry probably watched the Suns - Pistons game.

No kidding.

Supreme_Being
02-26-2008, 01:55 PM

Make the right choice. FUCK the Suns.

Fixed.

sa_butta
02-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Whats a mango tree with no leaves?
Come back Brent.

ata
02-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Barry needs more time to make a decision as hungry man needs to make a shit

Xylus
02-26-2008, 02:17 PM
C'mon Barry, I've suffered enough these past few weeks. Please, ease my suffering! :dramaquee

hater
02-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I really don't think Pop wants him back that bad. Udoka is working out ok. Manu's 3pt shot has increased dramatically.

I think we might use him at some point in the playoffs. and I would want him back mostly to keep him away from Suns/Mavs

for his sake, Boston might be a great choice. he might get plenty minutes and have a great playoff run.

AFBlue
02-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Spurs won't offer him more than the vet min because of the lux tax right?

Bruno
02-26-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't think Barry is good enough to make a big difference wherever he goes.

I wish Spurs will get him because he will bring some depth when Spurs will play small and for "sentimental" reasons.
If Spurs don't get him, it won't be the end of the world. Udoka will play more, Stoudamire will help at shooting the ball and Spurs can still another wing.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I think HC is right; Barry's going to stretch this out as long as possible until someone offers him something stupid. If nobody does then he'll sign with San Antonio. I'd like to become a Spurs legend, but for a couple million extra bucks, I'd move to Phoenix or Boston.

And as much as some of us love Brent Barry, let's remember that he shot 30 percent and averaged three points a game in the playoffs last year. He's not likely to be the difference maker in a championship run, but it'd be nice to have him on the boat in July.

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
I think HC is right; Barry's going to stretch this out as long as possible until someone offers him something stupid. If nobody does then he'll sign with San Antonio. I'd like to become a Spurs legend, but for a couple million extra bucks, I'd move to Phoenix or Boston.

And as much as some of us love Brent Barry, let's remember that he shot 30 percent and averaged three points a game in the playoffs last year. He's not likely to be the difference maker in a championship run, but it'd be nice to have him on the boat in July.

The Spurs would be hard pressed to find a 4th or 5th swingman of his quality as a free agent right now.

stretch
02-26-2008, 02:42 PM

Lol, what would you all think if he came to Dallas?

Mark in Austin
02-26-2008, 02:44 PM

As far as dark horse teams go, I'd say LA is more likely than Dallas.

PM5K
02-26-2008, 02:45 PM
I really think this entire situation will be decided on the money he gets from those HEB commercials, when you add that to his NBA salary, it's hard to beat...

stretch
That didn't answer my question. What would you think about Barry if he went to your biggest rival, the Dallas Mavericks?

spurs_fan_in_exile
Yeah, if you're not coming back to SA better to be as far away from the torches and pitchforks as possible.

easjer
02-26-2008, 02:46 PM
I don't see it happening at all.

But I'd laugh if it did. Then I'd be mad. Then I'd laugh some more.

baseline bum
02-26-2008, 02:46 PM
In this case, no news is good news.

timvp
02-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Lol, what would you all think if he came to Dallas?Disown him.

easjer
02-26-2008, 02:47 PM
That didn't answer my question. What would you think about Barry if he went to your biggest rival, the Dallas Mavericks?

I answered - but then you asked about our biggest rival. I'd be pissed if he went to LA.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-26-2008, 02:49 PM
a lot of reports are surfacing saying that the Suns have a very good track of getting him, including Kerr saying it himself

and Nash has been pushing for this

if he goes to PHX I will lose all respect for him

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
I'd think he got paid a LOT of money. Dallas stopped worrying me from a basketball standpoint when they got rid of the guy who gives Tony Parker the most trouble in the NBA and one of the guys who gives Tim Duncan the most trouble in exchange for an old guy that Parker makes a point to play well against when they go head to head.

ploto
02-26-2008, 03:50 PM
It is APPARENT it means he is torn between different options.

Shred
02-26-2008, 04:02 PM
It must be down to Spurs or Suns. With today's news, I would think the Rockets are out of it....

BlackSwordsMan
02-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Meh.

BlackSwordsMan
02-26-2008, 04:10 PM
I'd be worried if it was Manu but Brent?

loveforthegame
02-26-2008, 04:30 PM
I see him going to Dallas. You have Dirk and Kidd recruiting you plus you have the same agent as Jamal Magloire who's headed to Dallas.

Budkin
02-26-2008, 04:35 PM
I see him going to Dallas. You have Dirk and Kidd recruiting you plus you have the same agent as Jamal Magloire who's headed to Dallas.

:lmao No.

spursfan09
02-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Barry Leaves SA for a titile contender. that means Celts, Suns, or Lakers. Mavs I don't see that.

E20
02-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Brent is doing a pretty damn good job of being CIA.

picnroll
02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
It's taking Barry as long to make up his mind as to decide to shoot when he's got the yips.

spursrocksocks
02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
hey barry shit or get off the pot, I cant wait till he announces his return to the Spurs

Bruno
02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/18007

Still waiting

posted by PaulCoro on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 01:17 PM

It has been three hours since Brent Barry cleared waivers and was eligible to sign with any team but a decision has yet to come down. Suns General Manager Steve Kerr flew in to San Antonio today in the middle of a scouting trip to talk face to face wtih Barry but the 36-year-old guard is still pondering his decision.

It sounds like Phoenix is doing battle mostly with San Antonio, although Dallas and Boston are trying to throw more money at him to stay in the mix. Houston has been on record saying it would give him the most it can for two years so that sounds like a biennial exception because the Rockets don't have a mid-level exception available.

Barry probably is wrestling mostly with the idea of leaving his teammates more than his family. He has played with those guys since 2004 and won two championships with them. His family has settled in San Antonio, possibly permanently, but there is not too much time left in the school year and they could join him elsewhere at that point. But who knows what is being talked about for the long-term in San Antonio?

A Suns pessimist won't be charged up to know that Arn Tellem is Barry's agent. Here's all you need to know about Phoenix's history with Tellem: Antonio McDyess, Joe Johnson, Tim Thomas.

A Suns optimist would think Barry has to be attracted by how significant of a role he could play with the Suns. With his ability to shoot, run and pass, he could be a boost to an offense that has lost a lot of spacing with the departures of James Jones and Shawn Marion.

Should Barry pick another team, there might be another option in Philadelphia's Gordan Giricek. He was traded to the 76ers when Utah landed Kyle Korver in late December. The 30-year-old, 6-foot-6 shooter has played twice this month and could be bought out this week. He would have to be waived by Saturday to be playoff eligible for another team. Giricek would not serve the playmaker role Barry could and is not as strong of a shooter (36.7 3-point percentage for his career).

At this point, it does not appear the Suns would be interested in Sam Cassell if he is bought out.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 05:01 PM
It's taking Barry as long to make up his mind as to decide to shoot when he's got the yips.

fucker ingrate stupid jerk Finley sucks Finley sucks. /whottt

Seriously, I'd love to see him come back, but if someone offers him a deal that pays him for a few years, I don't see how he could turn it down.

td4mvp21
02-26-2008, 05:03 PM
fucker ingrate stupid jerk Finley sucks Finley sucks. /whottt

:lmao

dbestpro
02-26-2008, 05:06 PM

Dallas is a rival? I thought that it was a little suburb of New Braunfels.

nkdlunch
02-26-2008, 05:08 PM
:lol he even has entire Spurstalk fooled.

Good job Barry, see u in a month.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Houston has been on record saying it would give him the most it can for two years so that sounds like a biennial exception because the Rockets don't have a mid-level exception available.Do they even have that? I thought they used that on Chuck Hayes last season.

Herschel Walker
02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Is Barry's postponement and waiting a good thing for the Spurs? Either that or he's just letting it play out to see where the money and years in a deal are at.

ploto
02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said he flew into San Antonio today to meet with free agent guard Brent Barry and his wife, Erin, but Barry remains undecided.

Barry may still reveal his decision, which apparently is down to the Suns and Spurs, tonight but he left open the possibility that he may need until Wednesday to pick a team.

"I've spoken with Brent," Kerr said. "I met with him and his wife and we're awaiting his decision. He's very seriously considering it."

San Antonio and Phoenix are offering Barry, 36, a veteran's minimum contract for the rest of the season and next season. The Suns are seeking his help with playmaking and perimeter shooting.

Barry cleared waivers this morning after being traded from San Antonio to Seattle, who released him Friday. If Barry signs with San Antonio, his team since 2004 and his family's home, he can't join the team until 30 days after the trade. Barry also is recovering from a calf strain that would keep him out of action for at least another week.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0226barryupdate.html

nkdlunch
02-26-2008, 06:12 PM
good job at making Suns wait.... for nothing

ploto
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
good job at making Suns wait.... for nothing
Or using the Suns' offer to get the Spurs to pay for an additional year

T Park
02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
If he resigns with SA, Ploto will need to be put on Suicide watch.

DubMcDub
02-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Dallas is a rival? I thought that it was a little suburb of New Braunfels.

City smack...not the best thing to do as a fan from San Antonio. Especially against a real city like Dallas.

Just saying.

SouthernFried
02-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Who really wants to live in Phoenix? Who wants to be around Stoudamaire? He'll enjoy Nash, and mebbe like being around Shaq for notoriety's sake.

But, really...who wants to live in Phoenix?

San Antonio ain't what it used to be 30 yrs ago...but, christ...who wants to live in Phoenix?

T Park
02-26-2008, 07:27 PM
I don't mind living there for the month and a half that Im there.

The more that Brent thinks about it, the worst I feel.

I hope he comes back, but Im doubtfull he does.

timvp
02-26-2008, 07:28 PM
.................. pick the basket and shoot, Brent.

Thanks.

Borosai
02-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Barry'llbebackwiththeSpurs,nodoubt.He'sjusttoyingw iththeSuns.

lurker
02-26-2008, 07:44 PM
And the award for best actor in a drama goes to...

whottt
02-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Who really wants to live in Phoenix? Who wants to be around Stoudamaire? He'll enjoy Nash, and mebbe like being around Shaq for notoriety's sake.

San Antonio ain't what it used to be 30 yrs ago...but, christ...who wants to live in Phoenix?

It's Steve Nash...everyone always wants to play with an unselfish star PG, because they know they'll get the ball...even Shawn Marion liked it until he got screwy.

The biggest obstacle is Steve Kerr...he knows what Barry wants to hear...because they had similar roles on the Spurs.

timvp
02-26-2008, 08:19 PM
The biggest obstacle is Steve Kerr...he knows what Barry wants to hear...because they had similar roles on the Spurs.True.

Now Brent, we both know how Pop can be full of crap. As a perimeter player, unless we are a Hall of Fame talent or a lockdown defender, Pop just doesn't understand our games. He wants us to stand still and hit jumpers. That's not what me and you did best. We can create on the move. We can use our brains to find open seams in the defense. Sure we might not be able to lockdown LeBron but Pop should have realized that when he brought us on board.

With the Suns you can be who you really are as a player. D'Antoni may be a dumbass but he will let you be you. Nash will make sure you have the ball a lot and you will be free to do whatever you want. Pick and roll with Shaq or Amare? Fine. Freelance backdoor cut to the hoop? Great. You will be allowed to be the best Brent Barry you can be.

Duncan is a great player but we have both Amare and Shaq. Combined they should allow you as many open shots as Duncan did. Defensively as long as you stay aware, Shaq and Amare should be able to erase your mistakes.

Come help us win a championship in Phoenix. You could stay with the Spurs but there's not even a guarantee you will play more than Udoka. You have too much left to offer to allow yourself to become the 2008 version of Sean Marks. Come to Phoenix and you will be a vital part of our team. We want you. The Spurs showed you how much they wanted you when they traded you.

The choice is yours.

That might not be word for word but it's close.

:smokin

easjer
02-26-2008, 08:28 PM
You know, timvp, when you put it like that . . .

:pctoss

:flipoff

Whisky Dog
02-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Spot on. You can guarantee Kerr is selling up the fact that Barry can roam and play all the offensive ball he can handle. Not much structure and a lot of sweet dishes from Nash is what Barry is being fed. It's a tough choice for Barry, and I wouldn't blame him if he chose the Suns. I wouldn't like it, but the man has 2 titles and might just want to get to play some fun ball without all the discipline in his twilight. You know, not worry about getting benched because you blew a couple of defensive rotations. We'll know what Barry wants (freedom to just play or a serious title chance) by which decision he makes.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-26-2008, 09:10 PM
sLHcmOkIM0w

timvp
02-26-2008, 09:11 PM
You know, timvp, when you put it like that . . .

:pctoss

:flipoffLuckily Pop has a quality response.

Brent you know we want you here. The trade was just business. You had the contract needed to make the numbers work. We traded your contract, not you.

Look up there in the rafters. You see those championship banners? That's what you will remember when your playing days are over. That and the personal relationships you will forge throughout the way. We have a lockerroom full of guys who will go to bat for you ... just as you would go to bat for them.

And why the hell would you want to go to Phoenix? You will be playing for a lame duck coach, a desperate GM and a meddling owner. The Suns have a chance to be good but who knows if they will mesh. Why even take that chance? You know you can fit in here.

I may have been hard on the last three seasons but I've only been hard on you because I know you could take it. And look where it's gotten us. Two championships in the last three seasons. No matter what happens from now on in your life, you will be known as Brent Barry, NBA champion.

Now let's go win that third one.

duncan228
02-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Great stuff timvp. Really great.

Que Gee
02-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Those were good timvp.

whottt
02-26-2008, 09:22 PM
True.

That might not be word for word but it's close.

Seriously...

AJ > Kerr

At least AJ doesn't try to steal players...

ClingingMars
02-26-2008, 09:23 PM
sLHcmOkIM0w

Someone needs to show Barry that interview.

-Mars

Que Gee
02-26-2008, 09:27 PM
People shouldn't underestimate the Suns to much yet...They literally had 1 walk through practice with Shaq before they played arguably the 3 best teams in the NBA. Lakers, Celts, and Pistons....and still managed to beat one of them. They will make some adjustments.

T Park
02-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Hopefully Brent wants rings over points and stats.

ChuckD
02-26-2008, 09:31 PM
People shouldn't underestimate the Suns to much yet...They literally had 1 walk through practice with Shaq before they played arguably the 3 best teams in the NBA. Lakers, Celts, and Pistons....and still managed to beat one of them. They will make some adjustments.
If they don't get Barry, they're a second round "out". They've gotten rid of WAY too many 3 point shooters. They really only have Nash (who doesn't like to shoot), Bell, and Barbosa (who chokes in the playoffs). That's 3 smallish guards if they want to play them together.

picnroll
02-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Defensively as long as you stay aware, Shaq and Amare should be able to erase your mistakes.

Pass me the pipe.

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Bigger role in an unproven program or a smaller role, the role he knows, in a proven one.

T Park
02-26-2008, 09:38 PM
If they get Barry the Suns take the Spurs to 7.

If the Spurs get Barry back, hang the banner.

WildcardManu
02-26-2008, 09:38 PM
sLHcmOkIM0w

ROFL "little old lady flipping the bird"

picnroll
02-26-2008, 09:39 PM
I guess the last two years of Shaq's play were a fluke. Legend's die hard.

Matchman
02-26-2008, 09:40 PM
the Rockets GM just said a few minutes ago that the Rockets is still trying to get Brent Barry

whottt
02-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Unless you missed the news...Yao is out for the season....the 500 grand more the Rockets can offer isn't enough to go down with that mess. If 500 grand made a difference to Barry VS a ring, he would have never been a Spur to begin with.

If anything Barry is stupid to sign a two year deal...it's possible he could get a one year deal worth more than the contract the Rockets are offering this offseason.

T Park
02-26-2008, 09:45 PM
the Rockets GM just said a few minutes ago that the Rockets is still trying to get Brent Barry

I'm still emailing Jessica Alba for a date too.

easjer
02-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Luckily Pop has a quality response.

:tu

:toast

whottt
02-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Brent....just come here and shoot 50% from 3 for the rest of the season like you did the first third of the season...you'll get paid more than the vet min this offseason...don't sell yourself short. Remember what happened to Rob in 05...

Amuseddaysleeper
02-26-2008, 09:59 PM
the suns are losing to the grizzlies right now in the fourth

Budkin
02-26-2008, 10:05 PM
It's not a tough choice... Brent knows where he's wanted... on the Spurs by his teammates.

remingtonbo2001
02-26-2008, 10:21 PM
sLHcmOkIM0w

I wonder if ever got that tattoo?

And on which ass cheek?

BillsCarnage
02-26-2008, 10:32 PM

Well, if you consider the whole phx metro area; a helluva lot more ppl than want to live in SA judging by the population stats.

CarefreeAZ
02-26-2008, 10:33 PM
the suns are losing to the grizzlies right now in the fourth

Here, all give you a more recent update. We ended up scoring 127 points, winning by 14, and that was with Amare and Shaq both on the bench most of the fourth quarter.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-26-2008, 10:38 PM
I hope he doesn't leave us (and the teams) out of the know too long...

Come on Brent, we believe in you!

CarefreeAZ
02-26-2008, 10:40 PM
If they don't get Barry, they're a second round "out". They've gotten rid of WAY too many 3 point shooters. They really only have Nash (who doesn't like to shoot), Bell, and Barbosa (who chokes in the playoffs). That's 3 smallish guards if they want to play them together.

Barry is one out of three different players the Suns are looking at. The other two players(from Utah or the LA Clippers) are similar buyout options. Barry is the best to fill the need of having a true three point shooter.

ChuckD
02-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Here, all give you a more recent update. We ended up scoring 127 points, winning by 14, and that was with Amare and Shaq both on the bench most of the fourth quarter.
:lol Reverting to b-ball that will win you NOTHING except regular season wins over the Grizz. Priceless. You have to sit the $20M Superman to win a game. :lmao

ThomasGranger
02-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Barry is one out of three different players the Suns are looking at. The other two players(from Utah or the LA Clippers) are similar buyout options. Barry is the best to fill the need of having a true three point shooter.

Giricek blows and the only way Sam I Am goes to the Suns is if they claim him off waivers, but if he really wants to be in Boston I don't see the point in doing that. Barry is by far the best bet for the Suns.

Lebowski Brickowski
02-26-2008, 11:01 PM

So you guys let memphis score 113 on you? :lmao

Jeremy
02-26-2008, 11:05 PM
So you guys let memphis score 113 on you? :lmao

Sure. Wasn't that nice of us?

CarefreeAZ
02-26-2008, 11:07 PM
:lol Reverting to b-ball that will win you NOTHING except regular season wins over the Grizz. Priceless. You have to sit the $20M Superman to win a game. :lmao

Hey the grizzlies went with a small line-up wanting to beat us at the run and gun game. So we just countered with the smaller line-up. Can't help it if we beat them either way.

CarefreeAZ
02-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Giricek blows and the only way Sam I Am goes to the Suns is if they claim him off waivers, but if he really wants to be in Boston I don't see the point in doing that. Barry is by far the best bet for the Suns.

Cassell is the last option. Reason for Cassell is actually having a back-up point guard to spell Nash. Thanks for restating the obvious though that Barry is the best option. I guess I didn't make that clear by stating that in the last sentence of the post.

honestfool84
02-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Sure. Wasn't that nice of us?

nah..
it just showed what sucky defense y'all have..

-David

T Park
02-26-2008, 11:15 PM
:lol@ Suns fan running smack after barely beating the Grizzlies :lmao

CarefreeAZ
02-26-2008, 11:25 PM
:lol@ Suns fan running smack after barely beating the Grizzlies :lmao

Not running any smack... Just thought I would keep ChuckD up to speed on NBA happenings since he seemed to be lagging on the current score of the game.

T Park
02-26-2008, 11:27 PM
You sat Shaq during a game vs the second worst team in the west.

I'd say he got that right...

remingtonbo2001
02-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Well, if you consider the whole phx metro area; a helluva lot more ppl than want to live in SA judging by the population stats.

Hmmm...that would be the equivilent of judging a game by the boxscore.

San Antonio is spread out. There are many who commute to San Antonio on a daily basis, but live in the outskirt area b/c of larger properties.

Judging by the populations of our states, it would seem to me that a helleva lot more people like living in the state of Texas than Arizona :rolleyes

San Antonio does have the 9th largest Metropolitan area. What is Phoenix?

T Park
02-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Phoenix area is a hell of alot bigger than SA.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Phoenix has a lot more people, but they are all Californians so it really doesn't matter.

T Park
02-26-2008, 11:58 PM
True. Very True.

Bringing the whole state down in my humble opinion.

Xylus
02-27-2008, 12:01 AM
I can deal with the Suns smack, but don't be talking 'bout my city!

*Snap*
*Snap*
*Snap*

whottt
02-27-2008, 12:02 AM
I wish Barry would HTFU and sign.

whottt
02-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Qee Gee....WTF is up?

bresilhac
02-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Phoenix area is a hell of alot bigger than SA.

That may be true. But Texas is split up into 4 major metro areas plus the people in the countryside. Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin are collectively way bigger than Phoenix. By many millions.

Xylus
02-27-2008, 12:13 AM
That may be true. But Texas is split up into 4 major metro areas plus the people in the countryside. Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin are collectively way bigger than Phoenix. By many millions.
LOL

"London is bigger than Washington DC, but the entire United States of America is more populous than London."

td4mvp21
02-27-2008, 12:15 AM
I like Phoenix, it's a nice city. I love the mountains there. The people were friendly too. Good thing I didn't tell them I was a Spurs fan.

jag
02-27-2008, 12:16 AM
it's so crazy that we're making such a huge fuss over Brent Barry...i would never of seen this happening. We're talking about a guy who sometimes doesnt even get in the game.

That being said...i would really like to see him back, i think a lot of this fuss is due to the fact that he's such a great guy (and maybe alittle cause he was hot before he got injured).

Amuseddaysleeper
02-27-2008, 12:17 AM
I wonder if the fuss ir more for him coming, or more for him not going to a rival.

If the decision for brent was either to retire or come back to the spurs, it probably wouldn't have been nearly as big of a deal.

Having said that, even when he's not shooting well, his ball movement for the team was great.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Hmmm...that would be the equivilent of judging a game by the boxscore.

San Antonio is spread out. There are many who commute to San Antonio on a daily basis, but live in the outskirt area b/c of larger properties.

Judging by the populations of our states, it would seem to me that a helleva lot more people like living in the state of Texas than Arizona :rolleyes

San Antonio does have the 9th largest Metropolitan area. What is Phoenix?

Phoenix (just the city) is 6th largest population wise. San Antonio is 7th largest.

Phoenix Metro (if you include Mesa, Scottsdale, etc) is 13th largest, but San Antonio Metro is 29th.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2008, 12:21 AM
I like Phoenix, it's a nice city. I love the mountains there. The people were friendly too. Good thing I didn't tell them I was a Spurs fan.

The people in Phoenix are very similar to the people in San Antonio. I have been to almost every city in the country and lived in Phoenix for a long time. And the people and the atmosphere are similar in a lot of ways in the two cities.

jag
02-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Phoenix has a lot more people, but they are all Californians so it really doesn't matter.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

A lot more people??

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Yes, a lot more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas

Louie Vega
02-27-2008, 12:32 AM
City smack...not the best thing to do as a fan from San Antonio. Especially against a real city like Dallas.
Maybe you should get out more. When I think of real cities I think of Chicago, New York etc.

bresilhac
02-27-2008, 12:39 AM
LOL

"London is bigger than Washington DC, but the entire United States of America is more populous than London."

Funny. I drove through Phoenix and Tucson down IH10 one time on my way to San Antonio and found the Phoenix area to be flat, super dusty and rather featureless. My point? There is none basically. Just like this portion of the thread. So Phoenix is a bigger town than SA, does anybody really care?

timvp
02-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Brent Barry has us resorting to city smack. Just pick a damn team.

Thanks.

remingtonbo2001
02-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Phoenix (just the city) is 6th largest population wise. San Antonio is 7th largest.

Phoenix Metro (if you include Mesa, Scottsdale, etc) is 13th largest, but San Antonio Metro is 29th.

I remember reading a list within the past year, but thank you for the clarification.

I have never been to Phoenix, save the fact that I have had a lay-over there.

I'm sure it's a great town, being 6th best.

Looks like the Suns have something in common with their own city. How interesting.

timvp
02-27-2008, 12:42 AM
Barry: Options are Suns, Spurs
Phoenix GM Kerr makes pitch to vet

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 26, 2008 10:23 PM
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Suns General Manager Steve Kerr got to shake hands Tuesday with the NBA's most coveted free agent, Brent Barry, but there was no handshake agreement that Barry would join the Suns.

Between scouting games at Kansas State on Monday night and Vanderbilt on Tuesday night, Kerr dropped in on the San Antonio home of a wavering Barry to make a two-hour pitch to him and his wife, Erin, on the day that Barry's decision was expected.

Barry only whittled his candidate list to San Antonio and Phoenix, leaving them to wait for an answer Wednesday.

Each team is offering a veteran's minimum contract that includes the 2008-09 season, but the Spurs are believed to be sweetening the pot with a third year, on top of the emotional pull of teammates he has played with since 2004.

Barry also had been considering Boston, Houston and Dallas. He cleared waivers Tuesday morning.

"I've spoken with Brent," Kerr said. "I met with him and his wife, and we're awaiting his decision. He's very seriously considering it."

The Suns are seeking to add Barry, 36, to help with playmaking and perimeter shooting. Barry cleared waivers Tuesday morning after being traded last week from San Antonio to Seattle, which released him Friday. If Barry signs with San Antonio, he can't re-join the team until 30 days after the trade (March 21).

"There have been so many changes over the past few days, it's very difficult," Barry told the San Antonio Express-News on Tuesday morning. "Just because I've cleared (waivers), I don't have a timetable that today is the day I have to decide."

Barry, a 6-foot-7 swingman, is recovering from a calf strain that would keep him out of action at least a week.

Should Barry pick San Antonio, the Suns could turn their attention to Philadelphia guard Gordan Giricek. He was traded to the 76ers when Utah landed Kyle Korver in late December.

Giricek, a 30-year-old, 6-foot-6 shooter, has played twice this month and could be bought out by Saturday, which would make him playoff eligible if it happens by Saturday.

Giricek would not fill the playmaker role that Barry can and has shot 36.7 percent from 3-point range for his career, compared to Barry's 40.7 percent.Holy crap. Barry has the Spurs offering him a three-year deal?

What is he waiting for?

T Park
02-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Wow, the Spurs offered a third year?

Give him a couple mill and get it done.

honestfool84
02-27-2008, 12:45 AM
i didn't know san antonio was a "pretend" city..
not a real city..
-David

timvp
Seriously, I like Barry and I want him to come back but if he's having this much trouble picking between the Suns and the Spurs with the Spurs offering more money .......... it makes me wonder.

T Park
Have an injured Barry until hes 39 on a bad wheel?

Eh.....

CarefreeAZ
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

A lot more people??

Nice data source - you do realize that the actual census data is from 2000 and that it is only defining the actual city limits of San Antonio/Phoenix and none of its suburbs? Phoenix is spread out. Not quite 4 million people with suburbs like Scottsdale(275,000 people) Mesa(400,000 people) etc etc. Has grown way too much/too fast in the 14 years I have lived here.

Regarding Brent Barry - would love to have him in Phoenix but could not see him leaving the opportunity he has with San Antonio.

T Park
02-27-2008, 12:46 AM
Seriously, I like Barry and I want him to come back but if he's having this much trouble picking between the Suns and the Spurs with the Spurs offering more money .......... it makes me wonder.

Yeah, what else does the friggen dude want from em..

3 years, more money, WTF else?!?!

td4mvp21
02-27-2008, 12:46 AM

That's what I was going to say. Why the fuck is he even considering Phoenix if our deal is better?

remingtonbo2001
02-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Phoenix is spread out.

So is San Antonio

you do realize...

That the Spurs are better than the Suns.

Yes, Yes I do.

timvp
02-27-2008, 12:50 AM
That's what I was going to say. Why the fuck is he even considering Phoenix if our deal is better?I know the allure of a freestyle offense and not having to play defense has to be tempting but going to a direct rival for less money is just ...... weird, to say the least.

T Park
02-27-2008, 12:57 AM
I know the allure of a freestyle offense and not having to play defense has to be tempting but going to a direct rival for less money is just ...... weird, to say the least.

Obviously the Spurs should've offered him less than Phoenix offered, and they would have him committed already...

traitoravery
02-27-2008, 01:02 AM
Wow, in three years hell be 39....maybe its a player/coach option. Is there such a thing?

jag
02-27-2008, 01:02 AM
Yes, a lot more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas

Touche'

Xylus
02-27-2008, 01:11 AM
C'mon, Brent, do the right thing! Come to the Valley of the Sun! We need your services more than the Spurs do... obviously, they traded you after all. :toast

T Park
02-27-2008, 01:12 AM
C'mon, Brent, do the right thing! Come to the Valley of the Sun! We need your services more than the Spurs do... obviously, they traded you after all. :toast

Sorry, he likes coaches that know as much basketball as he does.

Xylus
02-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Sorry, he likes coaches that know as much basketball as he does.
What're you talking about? Nash knows plenty about basketball.

Trainwreck2100
02-27-2008, 01:15 AM
Nash knows as much about basketball as he does.

Nash won't put him on the court, if he performs for you guys the way he did the first year the spurs signed him, Dantoni will bench his ass

T Park
02-27-2008, 01:16 AM
What're you talking about? Nash knows plenty about basketball.

When did Nash retire and become headcoach?

Que Gee
02-27-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm surprised it went past today.

Xylus
02-27-2008, 01:18 AM
When did Nash retire and become headcoach?
Actually, it was a joke that Nash does more coaching than D'Antoni...but I guess I didn't set it up very well.

T Park
02-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Que Gee, is he comin back or not :-)

Que Gee
02-27-2008, 01:26 AM
It's a tough choice for Barry, and I wouldn't blame him if he chose the Suns. I wouldn't like it, but the man has 2 titles and might just want to get to play some fun ball without all the discipline in his twilight. You know, not worry about getting benched because you blew a couple of defensive rotations. We'll know what Barry wants (freedom to just play or a serious title chance) by which decision he makes.

I really have no clue....i think this is a pretty good take on it.

timvp
02-27-2008, 01:26 AM
I'm surprised it went past today.Tell him that he's bluffed long enough. He got his three-year deal.

A four-year deal would be stretching it :)

Que Gee
02-27-2008, 01:30 AM
I guess we'll know by Friday at the latest. Plus I think for each day that goes by after you clear waivers (today) you lose that days worth of pro rated salary. So I can't imagine they'd want to wait to long.

whottt
02-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Brent...you only think you want to just have fun...when you lose you won't feel that way.

And there will be pressure to win in Phoenix. You will have more pressure to win that you will in SA probably.

Come back to SA....you'll get a standing ovation.

Even timvp will give you an ovation :tu

whottt
02-27-2008, 01:38 AM
I really have no clue....i think this is a pretty good take on it.

It sounds good...but Phoenix has chemistry problems(and it's not like Shaq makes those better)...

I mean...did Phoenix look like they had fun at the end of the season last year?

whottt
02-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Besides Brent...don't you think you'll have more fun playing against the Suns? :smokin

timvp
02-27-2008, 01:49 AM
Has a player ever left the Spurs to take less money somewhere else? I can't remember this happening during the DRob/Duncan Era.

That closest I can think of is SJax ... but that was more his agent's decision.

Hoy
02-27-2008, 01:54 AM
God, I hope Barry signs with Suns. Three year deal for already defensive challenged geezer, this is like signing Bonner for 3 times what he contributes.

K-State Spur
02-27-2008, 02:01 AM
Actually, it was a joke that Nash does more coaching than D'Antoni...but I guess I didn't set it up very well.

i liked it. but even Nash's knowledge only really comes out once he crosses half court...

whottt
02-27-2008, 02:07 AM
Has a player ever left the Spurs to take less money somewhere else? I can't remember this happening during the DRob/Duncan Era.

Drob threatened it...

And I believe DA did it.

Put it this way...if he goes it'll mean more is going on than just wanting to play for the Suns.

I didn't think you could offer a 3 year vet min deal.

If I was Barry I would just take an offer for the rest of this season and test FA next season...he can probably get more than that on a one year deal.

timvp
02-27-2008, 02:14 AM
Drob threatened it...IIRC, DRob said he'd sign with the Knicks if the Spurs didn't offer more than the laughable $1M contract that was on the table.

And I believe DA did it.Nah, DA got more from Portland than the Spurs would offer.

Put it this way...if he goes it'll mean more is going on than just wanting to play for the Suns.
Yeah if he leaves he must hate Pop more than we all thought.

I didn't think you could offer a 3 year vet min deal. The Spurs are probably offering the money out of their MLE. It sounds like it's as much or more than what anyone else is offering.

If I was Barry I would just take an offer for the rest of this season and test FA next season...he can probably get more than that on a one year deal.Yeah as a shooter who doesn't rely on his legs, he probably has a couple good years left in him. Reggie Miller also had an all-arm shot and he was still shooting good when he retired.

Next summer on the open market I think Barry could get a decent one or two year deal where he makes at least $2-3M per season.

roycrikside
02-27-2008, 06:35 AM
Brent wants to play a couple more years so Jon can make a little more money doing TV. Everybody knows that Brent will have his pick of any and all broadcasting jobs the second he retires, he's the most personable and quotable guy in the league. He might get his brother fired...

picnroll
02-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Barry has a chance to be a core part of a dynasty team. Maybe not one of the big three or four but a core part, along with Horry, with three rings. Not one of he guys that just passed through like Jack or Speedy. A guy that can be remembered as creating the win in a few key games for each title. He's gong to give that up for a little fun?

ploto
02-27-2008, 08:06 AM
I guess we'll know by Friday at the latest. Plus I think for each day that goes by after you clear waivers (today) you lose that days worth of pro rated salary. So I can't imagine they'd want to wait too long.
This only pertains if he is not coming back to the Spurs.

G-Nob
02-27-2008, 08:16 AM

That closest I can think of is SJax ... but that was more his agent's decision.

What about Derrick Anderson? Didn't relationship end pretty nasty?