PDA

View Full Version : Spur's biggest threat

infinitesimile
02-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Seriously, especially now with Yao out the biggest matchup problem for the champs has got to be the Lake Show. I mean Bynum, Odom, Gasol, then some guy named Kobe. I'll admit they look good on paper but i want to see them come playoff time work as a team!!

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 03:10 PM
They can run off lots of points. Sorry, but I've seen that show before.

SenorSpur
02-26-2008, 03:11 PM
The Fake Show was the biggest challenge even BEFORE Yao going down with injury.

infinitesimile
02-26-2008, 03:12 PM
I guess Kobe can run the point when Fisher sits but who's left? Farmar? Their depth just isn't that great.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 03:16 PM
I guess Kobe can run the point when Fisher sits but who's left? Farmar? Their depth just isn't that great.
I can't agree with that. They are very deep. I think they have the best and most complete bench in the league.

timvp
02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Misplaced apostrophes.

infinitesimile
02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Does anyone remember how well Udoka played against Kobe. I know Bruce can get under his skin but how did he do against Ime?

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Misplaced apostrophes.
Drives me crazy, too. :lol

remingtonbo2001
02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Misplaced apostrophes.

Where?!?

ancestron
02-26-2008, 03:21 PM
I am so tired of hearing about the Lakers. They get Pau Gasol and suddenly they're the saviors of basketball. Whatever.

Xylus
02-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Which Spur are we talking about here?

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Where?!?
Should read "Spurs' biggest threat" unless the OP is referring to an individual Spur.

infinitesimile
02-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Which Spur are we talking about here?

Ime Udoka. He's picking up the defensive scheme of things but do you remember how he did against the Lakers last?

infinitesimile
02-26-2008, 03:28 PM
I am so tired of hearing about the Lakers. They get Pau Gasol and suddenly they're the saviors of basketball. Whatever.

I don't think they're the 'saviors' but i think they made a good team a lot tougher.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Lakerbots activate!

Sausage
02-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Kobe's finger is one bad pass away from ending his season. If he goes down, so do the Lakers.

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Lakerbots activate!

Nice.

Demo Dick Marcinko
02-26-2008, 03:50 PM
The fakeshow concerns me, why wouldn't they? They are playing lights out right now. But with the playoffs being defensively oriented, smart money would be to take Tim & Thomas over Gasol & Bynum any of the week and twice on sunday.

Kobe can take over a game at any time, but the Spurs also have a fellow who can do that in Manu. Ginobili can and will impose his will at critical times.

We have more cumulative experience in the playoffs then the lakers. And our big 3 > lakers big 3.

BLACKMAMBA24
02-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Bet! I've seen Kobe play a quarter shooting left handed well with his right shoulder hanging down.I think you see Kobe,Ronny Lott it before he calls it the year.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Well only one team has the game's best finisher. The other team has ESPN's favorite player.

thiste
02-26-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't think they're the 'saviors' but i think they made a good team a lot tougher.

Correction, Gasol made a good team a better one. No way Pau makes any team 'tougher'.

Medvedenko
02-26-2008, 04:56 PM
The greatest threat to the Spurs is the spurs themselves. As goes for all reigning Champs.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 05:04 PM
The greatest threat to the Spurs is the spurs themselves. As goes for all reigning Champs.
I don't know if you are being serious, but I typically agree. Good teams with experience know how not to beat themselves.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 05:05 PM
the greatest threat to the spurs is still the mavericks.
Not without Harris and Diop. Sorry, you just became the Dallas Alsorans.

Budkin
02-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Lakers

Medvedenko
02-26-2008, 05:14 PM
I don't know if you are being serious, but I typically agree. Good teams with experience know how not to beat themselves.

Of course I'm being serious. Good teams no how to win and usually will, especially experienced teams like the Spurs. Prior to getting Damon and KT I was calling the spurs mortal and beatable. Now they got 2 guys that are hungry and needed for championship runs. It's the spurs to lose IMO.

Rummpd
02-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Seriously, especially now with Yao out the biggest matchup problem for the champs has got to be the Lake Show. I mean Bynum, Odom, Gasol, then some guy named Kobe. I'll admit they look good on paper but i want to see them come playoff time work as a team!!

Funny how a bad 2nd option + a rookie center who has some good games but also was inconsistent on defense + a soft PF who doesn't show up in the playoffs + a superstar who has been known for gunning suddenly have everyone quaking in fear.

This Lakers team is NOT Shaq and Kobe in their prime with a young Horry, Fox and other savy veterans. Nor is it a formidable quadruplet that the Spurs got "0.4" out of in the semifinals.

The Lakers have all kinds of defensive holes and have been playing a cupcake schedule since Gasol came on board and gave up well over a 100 points to the Suns with Shaq (only top team to do so).

Bynum also coming off a knee injury and his effectiveness will be questionable.

Until Yao went down the Rockets were still a greater threat in matchups to Spurs and now the Jazz for sure, and potentially the Mavs are.

The LAL have gotten a media storm out of picking up Gasol and he is a very good offensive player but did they really need scoring anyway? In the playoffs they may rue the day they let Brown go or did not pick up another good big defender as Duncan blows by Gasol, Thomas hits jumpers and Bynum is out of positon often. The SAS will pick and roll the Lakers to death and hit high and low shots all night long while Parker and Manu drive with impunity. Bowen and Ime Udoka cannot stop Kobe but they will make him work and give me the Spurs big four vs. anything else the Spurs throw at them.

Remember the confusion on the floor when the Spurs surged vs the Lakers in their last game sans Parker, and it is highly doubtful that Gasol (who never won a darn playoff game) or Bynum can change that.

Bring on the Lakers - as they do down in media driven misery in no more than 5.

If the Lakers are truly the SAS's biggest threat the playoffs will be a lot easier than expected this year!

My dream is too see KB crying again after a Spurs sweep!

batboy
02-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Lakerbots activate!

Ready to form Laketron!

...Activate Interlocks!

SpurOutofTownFan
02-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Misplaced apostrophes.

I'm tired of these kind of threads as well

SpurOutofTownFan
02-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Funny how a bad 2nd option + a rookie center who has some good games but also was inconsistent on defense + a soft PF who doesn't show up in the playoffs + a superstar who has been known for gunning suddenly have everyone quaking in fear.

This Lakers team is NOT Shaq and Kobe in their prime with a young Horry, Fox and other savy veterans. Nor is it a formidable quadruplet that the Spurs got "0.4" out of in the semifinals.

The Lakers have all kinds of defensive holes and have been playing a cupcake schedule since Gasol came on board and gave up well over a 100 points to the Suns with Shaq (only top team to do so).

Until Yao went down the Rockets were still a greater threat in matchups to Spurs and now the Jazz for sure, and potentially the Mavs are.

The LAL have gotten a media storm out of picking up Gasol and he is a very good offensive player but did they really need scoring anyway? In the playoffs they may rue the day they let Brown go or did not pick up another good big defender as Duncan blows by Gasol, Thomas hits jumpers and Bynum is out of positon often. The SAS will pick and roll the Lakers to death and hit high and low shots all night long while Parker and Manu drive with impunity. Bowen and Ime Udoka cannot stop Kobe but they will make him work and give me the Spurs big four vs. anything else the Spurs throw at them.

Remember the confusion on the floor when the Spurs surged vs the Lakers in their last game sans Parker, and it is highly doubtful that Gasol (who never won a darn playoff game) or Bynum can change that.

If the Lakers are truly the SAS biggest threat the playoffs will be a lot easier than expected this year!

Thank our Father in Heaven.. Someone finally said it right!

Medvedenko
02-26-2008, 05:21 PM

The LAL have gotten a media storm out of picking up Gasol and he is a very good offensive player but did they really need scoring anyway? In the playoffs they may rue the day they let Brown go or did not pick up another good big defender as Duncan blows by Gasol, Thomas hits jumpers and Bynum is out of positon often. The SAS will pick and roll the Lakers to death and hit high and low shots all night long while Parker and Manu drive with impunity. Bowen and Ime Udoka cannot stop Kobe but they will make him work and give me the Spurs big four vs. anything else the Spurs throw at them. Remember the confusion on the floor when the Spurs surged vs the Lakers in their last game sans Parker, and it is highly doubtful that Gasol (who never won a darn playoff game) or Bynum can change that.

Dude why do you continue to post....your takes are weaksauce and pretty annoying really. What about our schedule prior to our "cupcake" schedue. We were first in the West prior to Bynum going down as well. Please, stop posting it's ruining this thread. You bring up points and I love "Duncan blowing past Gasol".....yeah, that's one thing TD won't do. Bang down low and over power him...for sure. Thomas hitting jumpers and Bynum is out of position...really did you see the last time KT played against Bynum. Obviously not.

Spurs 3> Lakers 3
Lakers 4> Spurs 4

Odom is a factor, but then again it's no point arguing with you.

Rummpd
02-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Dude why do you continue to post....your takes are weaksauce and pretty annoying really. What about our schedule prior to our "cupcake" schedue. We were first in the West prior to Bynum going down as well. Please, stop posting it's ruining this thread. You bring up points and I love "Duncan blowing past Gasol".....yeah, that's one thing TD won't do. Bang down low and over power him...for sure. Thomas hitting jumpers and Bynum is out of position...really did you see the last time KT played agains Bynum. Obviously not.

Spurs 3> Lakers 3
Lakers 4> Spurs 4

Odom is a factor, but then again it's not point arguing with you.

Question "dude" have you ever been paid for your basketball opinions? I would bet you have not (I have).

LAL is a good young and fairly talented team but to even consider them in the league with the Spurs; until they start playing defense or at least win a friggin playoff series, please, give us a break!

There is only one reason that the LAL have even the same number of losses as the Spurs at this point - the big three of the Spurs (true stars and superstars) have had significant injuries.

If not, LAL and all the rest would be 2-3 games behind the Spurs - who also know, unlike the LAL that having homecourt is not so essential with their experience and verve. By the way, you have played 4 less conference games so far as well, and how they count games against the Clippers in LA as not *road wins, is a farce.

Believe me the changes in the West were primarily done to combat one team (per Burns of SI, Bill Walton, and others) = the Spurs. Sure Gasol set off an "arms race" but his skinny and hairy mug will be going fishing early just like the rest of the over-hyped Lakers. Mark it down.

Oh by the way, next year the Spurs add a guy named Tiago Splitter the perfect foil for Gasol - better defender and adequate scorer.

Medvedenko
02-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Question "dude" have you ever been paid for your basketball opinions? I would be you have not (I have).

LAL is a good team but to even consider them in the league with the Spurs until they start playing defense or at least win a friggin playoff series, please, give us a break.

There is only one reason that the LAL have even the same number of losses as the Spurs at this point - the big three of the Spurs (true stars and superstars) has injuries. If not, LAL and all the rest would be 2-3 games behind the Spurs.

Believe me the changes in the West were done to combat one team per Burns of SI and others = the Spurs.

Wow...I guess the Laker injuries don't matter as well. You're a tool and I'm glad you're being exposed in this inane thread and your weak takes. Give me something that isn't parroted around the league. You're right about the Gasol trade, it was to combat the spurs....give me some insight that isn't already readily available on countless NBA forums. Keep it coming buddy...you're looking good. Maybe I can set up a paypal account with you and start giving you money for your wonderful b-ball knowledge.

The_Game
02-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Question "dude" have you ever been paid for your basketball opinions? I would bet you have not (I have).

LOL if you ever got paid to give your views from me i would seriously want my money back in a flash.

you mention injures yet don't realise Bynum has been out what 8 weeks? he was playing amazing before his injury. defensive holes? Lakers were in the top 6-8 in defensive stats before Bynum got hurt. Their defense is strong enough to win a title and their offense is clearly great..

spurs will not be favourites to beat L.A, they just have more options than the Spurs do. Unless the spurs scrub bench players have a great series the lakers should win. Even more so if they have homecourt

Cry Havoc
02-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Wow...I guess the Laker injuries don't matter as well. You're a tool and I'm glad you're being exposed in this inane thread and your weak takes. Give me something that isn't parroted around the league. You're right about the Gasol trade, it was to combat the spurs....give me some insight that isn't already readily available on countless NBA forums. Keep it coming buddy...you're looking good. Maybe I can set up a paypal account with you and start giving you money for your wonderful b-ball knowledge.

Who's going to slow down Tony Parker? You have no one on your team even capable of containing him for less than 25-30 a game. Who's going to shut down Duncan? A-completely-inexperienced-fresh-off-injury Bynum? Gasol? Anyone? Manu is also a nightmare for Kobe as well, with his ability to draw fouls.

Meanwhile, we have answers for every player you throw at us on defense with the exception of Lamar Odom, who's always been a matchup nightmare. Still, he isn't a dominant player, especially in the playoffs. Unless Kobe dominates three games all by himself (which could happen but is not likely against the Spurs D), I like our chances.

Rummpd
02-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Sure the Lakers have had some injuries and they are a very good team on the rise. They may get fortunate and win a series this year. Kobe is out of excuses now.

I am just grateful (despite writing a column once in defense of Kobe and his place in the game) that I do not root for any team with him on it. Hard to put his past entirely aside, his terrible ego, his public machinations, and the fact that much of the media still drools over him.

I for one love it when James abuses him and it will be wonderful when the LAL go down in flames this year.

However, I applaud any loyal fan of their teams and you have stuck through the LAL for years - I give you props for that.

Medvedenko
02-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Who's going to slow down Tony Parker? You have no one on your team even capable of containing him for less than 25-30 a game. Who's going to shut down Duncan? A-completely-inexperienced-fresh-off-injury Bynum? Gasol? Anyone? Manu is also a nightmare for Kobe as well, with his ability to draw fouls.

Meanwhile, we have answers for every player you throw at us on defense with the exception of Lamar Odom, who's always been a matchup nightmare. Still, he isn't a dominant player, especially in the playoffs. Unless Kobe dominates three games all by himself (which could happen but is not likely against the Spurs D), I like our chances.

Dude, I like your chances as well, trust me I do. I've been saying that and people still try to jump down my throat. I just think we'll give you guys a great test. There are mismatches all around. Who's going to stop TP, who knows, and we can't stop everyone. However, given our length and talent, we can definitely upset anyone.

Medvedenko
02-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Sure the Lakers have had some injuries and they are a very good team on the rise. They may get fortunate and win a series this year. Kobe is out of excuses now.

I am just grateful (despite writing a column once in defense of Kobe and his place in the game) that I do not root for any team with him on it. Hard to put his past entirely aside, his terrible ego, his public machinations, and the fact that much of the media still drools over him.

I for one love it when James abuses him and it will be wonderful when the LAL go down in flames this year.

However, I applaud any loyal fan of their teams and you have stuck through the LAL for years - I give you props for that.

Ok no worries...so we're cool?

td4mvp21
02-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Medvedenko has actually been saying how the Spurs are the team to beat, etc. He also said the Lakers could beat us, which is a fair statement I think.

duncan228
02-26-2008, 05:58 PM
The Pistons are the Spurs biggest threat.

oboymeetsogirl
02-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Before his injury Bynum was showing flashes of the type of dominating games bigs like Amare Stoudemire and a certain man-child in Orlando have had against the Spurs in the recent past. I agree, though, that his injury is bound to take a little off of his effectiveness come playoff time.

I've never, on the other hand, seen Gasol come up "big" against the Spurs. Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't live in San Antonio, so I haven't seen all the SA/Memphis games). Personally, I have no reason to think that will change much should the Lakers come up against the Spurs in the playoffs.

Far as I'm concerned, what the Lakers have over the Spurs is still Kobe, and the wily (albeit annoying) gamemanship of their coach. Same as it ever was.

Conclusion: in a seven game series, the intensity, cohesiveness and experience of the proven Spurs unit are still distinctively better than Kobe and his surrounding parts. Laker fans can crow all they like about the improvements they're recently seeing, but the playoffs are another matter. Triangle or no triangle, I just can't see a team thrown together in mid-season beating a well-oiled machine running on all cylinders like the Spurs (presuming, of course, they escape injury of key parts). And of course, with Barry back (fingers crossed), the scenario of LA taking four out of seven against SA would seem even more unlikely.

Rummpd
02-26-2008, 06:00 PM
LOL if you ever got paid to give your views from me i would seriously want my money back in a flash.

you mention injures yet don't realise Bynum has been out what 8 weeks? he was playing amazing before his injury. defensive holes? Lakers were in the top 6-8 in defensive stats before Bynum got hurt. Their defense is strong enough to win a title and their offense is clearly great..

spurs will not be favourites to beat L.A, they just have more options than the Spurs do. Unless the spurs scrub bench players have a great series the lakers should win. Even more so if they have homecourt

Mr. Game are you truly a Spurs fan? Spurs in the last 5 years always been greater than the sum of their parts (which are still considerable).

To think that suddenly the Lakers have risen above the big three or four (if you count Bowen - who can shut down anyone as well as anyone in the game and is big time clutch game shooter of the 3s) is really hard to fathom. Why? It is hard to believe they can match the Spurs' experience, grit and collective basketball IQ.

Sure Lakers could win the title (they are rightfully a "power" in the NBA), but they most likely they not be the team to knock off the Spurs.

I stand strongly by my opinion that the Jazz and Mavs remain bigger threats, and I don't totally r/o a Shaq revival.

I can also say honestly it is nice to have the Lakers relevant again, because Duncan and the Spurs winning titles when they are hyped will be even sweeter.

Believe me the Spurs have been listening and reading all the B.S. about other teams and will be ready come playoff time. We heard similar things about the Suns, Jazz and Nuggetts last year and then they rolled over all of them and King James.

Now with K. Thomas and D. Stoudamire a stronger Spurs team goes forward, watch out NBA.

Indazone
02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Rockets are now completely toast. Good Luck Spurs!!

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Rockets are now completely toast. Good Luck Spurs!!
Nah, they still got Scola.

Cry Havoc
02-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Dude, I like your chances as well, trust me I do. I've been saying that and people still try to jump down my throat. I just think we'll give you guys a great test. There are mismatches all around. Who's going to stop TP, who knows, and we can't stop everyone. However, given our length and talent, we can definitely upset anyone.

Agreed. If the Lakers keep this up and Bynum comes back at 90%+, we could see the four best teams in the WCF in a long time. Detroit, San Antonio, Boston, and Chicago.

:spin

Rummpd
02-26-2008, 06:11 PM

Now that is a smart post!

honestfool84
02-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Otro Pendejo!

translation = so cal sucks donkey dong.

-David

G-Nob
02-26-2008, 06:26 PM
translation = so cal sucks donkey dong.

-David

You are my new favorite poster on spurstalk.com. :lol

1Parker1
02-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Lakers, Jazz, Mavs, Suns in the Western Conference are the Spurs biggest threats, IMO.

Lakers; No one has more experience on how to coach against a Tim Duncan Spurs team better than PJ. Kobe on a mission is always a dangerous prospect. Gasol, Bynum, Odom, Fisher are as great a starting 5 as any. Not to mention their bench is ridiculously deep. Questions of course hinge on how everyone will play once Bynum comes back. I think the Lakers will be more formidable next season with a year under their belts playing together.

Jazz; Kyle Korver gives them some much needed 3 point shooting they missed last year. AK47 is playing like the old AK47. Of course, Okur is always questionable in the playoffs, and I don't think they have much interior defense which may hurt them. But they execute like crazy and Deron Williams + Okur are as good a 2 man match as any in the league.

Mavs; Regardless of what you may or may not think of the trade, one thing that still remains; Dirk is still the biggest mismatch for the Spurs.

Suns; If they get Barry, that spreads their floor even more. Nash and Amare are still another 2 headed monster.

honestfool84
02-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Lakers, Jazz, Mavs, Suns in the Western Conference are the Spurs biggest threats, IMO.

aren't there only three other teams that can be a threat to us? (spurs + those four teams = five teams, and only three other teams can make the playoffs)

anyways.
the only team im semi-scared of are the jazz.

mavs screwed up with kidd/harris..
suns screwed up with shaq/marion..
lakers are all hype until they prove otherwise.

but the jazz are really scary, in my opinion.

-David

DubMcDub
02-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Not without Harris and Diop. Sorry, you just became the Dallas Alsorans.

Yes yes, Harris and Diop were certainly the key.

Did you see how Harris had 2 points, 0 assists, and 5 TO's in game 7? KEY I tell you!!!

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 07:05 PM
So Kidd is going to cut off Parker's penentration?

honestfool84
02-26-2008, 07:11 PM
So Kidd is going to cut off Parker's penentration?

yes, and dirk is gonna stop duncan.

(sarcasm)

-David

td4mvp21
02-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Yes yes, Harris and Diop were certainly the key.

Did you see how Harris had 2 points, 0 assists, and 5 TO's in game 7? KEY I tell you!!!

MOTHER FUCKER, I swear, everything revolves around that series between Spurs and Mavs fans :lol

Devin Harris is far more developed and better than he was in that series. And given what I saw last season and early this season, I did not like Harris on the Mavs. He was quick enough to stop Parker, and apparently too quick for anyone on the Spurs. Diop always made Duncan work, and he blocked some shots in the paint. The Mavs still have the ultimate Spurs mismatch-Dirk. But players like Terry, Kidd, Howard, and Stackhouse are completely guardable within the Spurs' defensive system.

endrity
02-26-2008, 07:18 PM
yes, and dirk is gonna stop duncan.

(sarcasm)

-David

Yes, while on the other hand KT uses his new found mobility to contain Dirk, and the guys who always bring it against the Spur (Jet, Stack, Josh) have no idea what to do with the much better shots that Kidd provides.

but we know Parker is gonna penetrate a couple of times, so that's the series I guess. As Findog says, "too bad we gave up Oscar and B.Russell".

honestfool84
02-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Yes, while on the other hand KT uses his new found mobility to contain Dirk, and the guys who always bring it against the Spur (Jet, Stack, Josh) have no idea what to do with the much better shots that Kidd provides.

but we know Parker is gonna penetrate a couple of times, so that's the series I guess. As Findog says, "too bad we gave up Oscar and B.Russell".

no, that's not thomas' job; that's bowen's job [to stop dirk].

-David

endrity
02-26-2008, 07:21 PM
MOTHER FUCKER, I swear, everything revolves around that series between Spurs and Mavs fans :lol.

It always will, until the next, legendary series.

The Mavs still have the ultimate Spurs mismatch-Dirk.

And that is where every real analysis should start. If Dirk forces you to go small again, Kidd or no Kidd the Mavs will have a field day at the rim once again.

endrity
02-26-2008, 07:23 PM

-David

He certainly did a wonderful job in 06, when Dirk has only begun to understand what a post game was.

And if Bowen is on Dirk, who's on Josh. Weren't Spurs fans kicking themselves for allowing this guy to slip through their hands in the draft, and becoming a huge problem for the unathletic spurs.

td4mvp21
02-26-2008, 07:23 PM
It always will, until the next, legendary series.

And that is where every real analysis should start. If Dirk forces you to go small again, Kidd or no Kidd the Mavs will have a field day at the rim once again.

I know and that is exactly why I don't think Pop should give in and go small unless the Mavs go small. In 2006, Pop just gave up and went small while Avery just laughed and stayed big and opened up the boards, leading to more offensive possessions, etc. It wasn't pretty. The only way the Spurs could beat the Mavs going small is if the Mavs go small too. The only way.

honestfool84
02-26-2008, 07:26 PM
He certainly did a wonderful job in 06, when Dirk has only begun to understand what a post game was.

yeah, and dirk sure blossomed into the mvp he showed he was during their championship run last year..

-David

honestfool84
02-26-2008, 07:26 PM
yeah, and dirk sure blossomed into the mvp he showed he was during their championship run last year..

-David

championship joke last year! *

my bad!

-David

endrity
02-26-2008, 07:32 PM
I know and that is exactly why I don't think Pop should give in and go small unless the Mavs go small. In 2006, Pop just gave up and went small while Avery just laughed and stayed big and opened up the boards, leading to more offensive possessions, etc. It wasn't pretty. The only way the Spurs could beat the Mavs going small is if the Mavs go small too. The only way.

The biggest reason why he went small was not Harris per se, but the fact that the mavs had four true scorers/offensive players and a big guy. They could hide Duncan trying to guard Griffin, while Horry/Oberto took turns at Damp, or the other way around. But once Harris came in, it wasn't his speed that changed the game. It was the fact that he could no longer hide one his big guys. With Kidd, Terry is the starting 2, and Josh and Dirk are still at the 3 and 4. To me it's the same scenario all over again. You can't put KT on Dirk, and you are not risking Duncan unless it's the end of the game. That's why I really don't think the matchups have changed that much. Parker might be better, but we get easier shots with Kidd to. And Kidd can post Parker up. I would be shocked if these games don't go to the wire again, as they always do with these teams.

endrity
02-26-2008, 07:34 PM

-David

Yeah, Hakeem really killed DRob in 94.

Trash talk is cool when it has some connection to what we are talking about.

It doesn't change the fact that Bowen was exposed by the end of the series. And a lot of Mavs fans and observers, know that it was AJ's fault, not Dirk's for how last season ended.

stretch
02-26-2008, 07:41 PM

-David
He won't, fatty.

td4mvp21
02-26-2008, 08:05 PM
The biggest reason why he went small was not Harris per se, but the fact that the mavs had four true scorers/offensive players and a big guy. They could hide Duncan trying to guard Griffin, while Horry/Oberto took turns at Damp, or the other way around.

The reason Pop went small was because he did not feel any of his big men could guard Dirk. It had nothing to do with Harris, sorry if my post made it seem like it.

To me it's the same scenario all over again. You can't put KT on Dirk, and you are not risking Duncan unless it's the end of the game. That's why I really don't think the matchups have changed that much. Parker might be better, but we get easier shots with Kidd to. And Kidd can post Parker up. I would be shocked if these games don't go to the wire again, as they always do with these teams.

I'll take Kidd posting Parker up and taking a turnaround rather than Harris slicing through our defense any day. To me, it all depends on what Pop does. If Pop chooses to go small despite the Mavs staying big, we are fucked just like we were in 2006. If Pop chooses to stay big and focus on shutting down Howard, Terry, Stackhouse, etc., that would be to our advantage.

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 08:22 PM
The biggest reason why he went small was not Harris per se, but the fact that the mavs had four true scorers/offensive players and a big guy. They could hide Duncan trying to guard Griffin, while Horry/Oberto took turns at Damp, or the other way around. But once Harris came in, it wasn't his speed that changed the game. It was the fact that he could no longer hide one his big guys. With Kidd, Terry is the starting 2, and Josh and Dirk are still at the 3 and 4. To me it's the same scenario all over again. You can't put KT on Dirk, and you are not risking Duncan unless it's the end of the game. That's why I really don't think the matchups have changed that much. Parker might be better, but we get easier shots with Kidd to. And Kidd can post Parker up. I would be shocked if these games don't go to the wire again, as they always do with these teams.

Sure, the Mavs presented a defensive problem for the Spurs. But the key was that the Mavs could get defensive stops on the Spurs in that series. Like it or not, Harris and Diop were part of the reason for that.

DubMcDub
02-26-2008, 08:25 PM
MOTHER FUCKER, I swear, everything revolves around that series between Spurs and Mavs fans :lol

Devin Harris is far more developed and better than he was in that series. And given what I saw last season and early this season, I did not like Harris on the Mavs. He was quick enough to stop Parker, and apparently too quick for anyone on the Spurs. Diop always made Duncan work, and he blocked some shots in the paint. The Mavs still have the ultimate Spurs mismatch-Dirk. But players like Terry, Kidd, Howard, and Stackhouse are completely guardable within the Spurs' defensive system.

Harris was good in the first game this year in Dallas, and all but useless in the 2nd game in SA.

The fact is that he had his moments, but he's 1/5th the player of Kidd. Tony had PLENTY of good games against Harris. Great games even. Go check the box score on Games 3 and 4 of that series.

I'm not saying that Kidd isn't a worse matchup against Parker, just that he's not the monumental drop off that some are making him out to be.

As for Diop, he was alright. Magloire is an upgrade. Frankly, other than the Game 7 OT, I thought Damp did a better job against Duncan than Diop ever did.

DazedAndConfused
02-26-2008, 09:07 PM

LAL is a good young and fairly talented team but to even consider them in the league with the Spurs; until they start playing defense or at least win a friggin playoff series, please, give us a break!

There is only one reason that the LAL have even the same number of losses as the Spurs at this point - the big three of the Spurs (true stars and superstars) have had significant injuries.

If not, LAL and all the rest would be 2-3 games behind the Spurs - who also know, unlike the LAL that having homecourt is not so essential with their experience and verve. By the way, you have played 4 less conference games so far as well, and how they count games against the Clippers in LA as not *road wins, is a farce.

Believe me the changes in the West were primarily done to combat one team (per Burns of SI, Bill Walton, and others) = the Spurs. Sure Gasol set off an "arms race" but his skinny and hairy mug will be going fishing early just like the rest of the over-hyped Lakers. Mark it down.

Oh by the way, next year the Spurs add a guy named Tiago Splitter the perfect foil for Gasol - better defender and adequate scorer.

:idiot :idiot :idiot :idiot :idiot :idiot :idiot

21_Blessings
02-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Lakers were top 7 in defensive effeciency when Bynum was starting. You guys are really underrating that kid's defense. Crazy long and quick to boot. Alters everything and has shown he can go right at Duncan. Bynum is expected to be back before the playoffs.

Ariza is also a great perimeter defender but his injury had a small setback so he may or may not be back before the playoffs.

But hey, keep downplaying the Laker threat and worrying about the Pistons. Going to laugh when the Mavs blindside you before the Lakers/Spurs even faceoff in the playoffs.

barbacoataco
02-26-2008, 09:33 PM
the truth is that this year is wide open. No one knows how Shaq will gel with the Suns. No one knows how much the Mavs will miss Harris and Diop in the playoffs. No one knows if the Lakers are for real, and if Bynum comes back 100% for the playoffs. No one knows who will be the to seed-homecourt advantage etc.

Just like that Yao got injured and the Rockets are out.

I like the Spurs chances going into the playoffs with the same team as last year plus Thomas, Udoka and Stoudamire.

Findog
02-26-2008, 10:37 PM

-David

Good thing for us that Bruce completely sucks at it, stopping Dirk that is. I'm sure Udoka and Thomas will be on Dirk more than Bowen.

- Findog.

Findog
02-26-2008, 10:40 PM

-David

Dirk was hurt doing the Warrior series. Tony Parker recently came back after being shut down for bone spurs, while Dirk played on his because his team was hopeless without him.

- Findog

duncan228
02-26-2008, 10:41 PM
- Findog

:lmao

Findog
02-26-2008, 10:42 PM
championship joke last year! *

my bad!

-David

Haha, You meant to type championship joke instead of championship run. I see what you did there, Lenny Bruce. That's some edgy stuff.

- Findog

Findog
02-26-2008, 10:42 PM
:lmao

It's like shooting fish in a barrel sometimes.

- Findog

duncan228
02-26-2008, 10:43 PM
It's like shooting fish in a barrel sometimes.

- Findog

:lmao :lmao

Stop. It's getting hard to beathe.

bresilhac
02-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Medvedenko has actually been saying how the Spurs are the team to beat, etc. He also said the Lakers could beat us, which is a fair statement I think.

Can the Lakers beat San Antonio in a series? Sure. The potential is there certainly. But the Spurs have tons of very valuable playoff experience. And it is that experience that would push the Spurs over the top imo. Especially in a protracted series where the pressure to win gets amplified with every game leading up to a possible seventh game. The real threat to a fifth Title this year as I've said are the Pistons. They are solid top to bottom and play the kind of intense defense the Spurs are known for. A Detroit-San Antonio Final would be a colossal matchup. One for the ages.

LakerMagic
02-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Can the Lakers beat San Antonio in a series? Sure.

Thank you.

Purple & Gold
02-27-2008, 12:48 AM

If the Lakers are truly the SAS's biggest threat the playoffs will be a lot easier than expected this year!

My dream is too see KB crying again after a Spurs sweep!

:blah :blah :blah :blah :blah Keep living in denial.

Findog
02-27-2008, 12:49 AM
All of this talk of playoff matchups is premature. Last year the Suns and the Mavs were both running off 17 game winning streaks and running roughshod over the League. Pretty much all of the pundits and observers concluded that they were destined to meet in the Conference Finals. Nobody was talking about San Antonio, and of course things turned out a lot differently from what was expected.

Findog
02-27-2008, 12:50 AM
:blah :blah :blah :blah :blah Keep living in denial.

Rummpd: Worst poster on here? Possibly. Spurs fans have every right to be confident in their team, but then there's cockbag homerism.

Purple & Gold
02-27-2008, 12:51 AM

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Purple & Gold
02-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Rummpd: Worst poster on here? Possibly. Spurs fans have every right to be confident in their team, but then there's cockbag homerism.

But he gets paid for his takes :lol :lol

Purple & Gold
02-27-2008, 12:58 AM
And our big 3 > lakers big 3.

Lakers have a big 4 plus a real nice bench.

DazedAndConfused
02-27-2008, 12:59 AM
All of this talk of playoff matchups is premature. Last year the Suns and the Mavs were both running off 17 game winning streaks and running roughshod over the League. Pretty much all of the pundits and observers concluded that they were destined to meet in the Conference Finals. Nobody was talking about San Antonio, and of course things turned out a lot differently from what was expected.

Had Amare and co. never been suspended the Suns could very well have won that series. It's not like they got blown out in the 1st round like the Mavs.

T Park
02-27-2008, 01:00 AM
Had Amare and co. never been suspended the Suns could very well have won that series. It's not like they got blown out in the 1st round like the Mavs.

Yeah cause Stoudamire and Co are so clutch in the playoffs.

DazedAndConfused
02-27-2008, 01:03 AM
Um Stoudamire was pretty good in that series. Is your memory that hazy?

LakerMagic
02-27-2008, 01:07 AM
Lakers have a big 4 plus a real nice bench.

Word

T Park
02-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Um Stoudamire was pretty good in that series. Is your memory that hazy?

Not at all.

I remember him choking like a dog at home in game 1 though.

Is your memory hazy?

Do you remember his dumb play in game 3 and 6?

Of course not.

Wouldn't fit the troll agenda.

itzsoweezee
02-27-2008, 01:18 AM
the lakers have a big 4?!?!?!

lmao. wow, i knew you guys were delusional, but this is too much. big 4! haha

DazedAndConfused
02-27-2008, 01:19 AM
OK he had a couple bonehead plays, but he was still a beast in that series. You guys couldn't contain him at all. To say he wouldn't be a factor along with Diaw, their two best bigmen, is bullshit.

Findog
02-27-2008, 01:19 AM

Jeff, you know your beloved Spurs were never in danger of losing to the Suns.

T Park
02-27-2008, 01:21 AM
OK he had a couple bonehead plays, but he was still a beast in that series. You guys couldn't contain him at all. To say he wouldn't be a factor along with Diaw, their two best bigmen, is bullshit.

He would've.

But you can say that about a million things in a million other series.

To continue to hang onto that bullshit theory "Well if the Suns had Stoudamire in game 5"

Maybe the Spurs come out pissed off in game 5 and run the Suns out of the building by 10.

Maybe they don't take em lightly and play the best game of the series.

Ginobili and Horry combine for 28 and they win by 8 pulling away in the 4th.

So once again, move on, give up the bs arguements of so and so being out.

DazedAndConfused
02-27-2008, 01:23 AM
I'm not saying the Suns would have won if they had Amare. All I'm saying is they had a great chance to take the series as the momentum was shifting their way. They blew their chance and it's 100% their fault.

NRHector
02-27-2008, 01:28 AM
Pinche Pendejo!tu eres el pinche pendejo CULERO if you don't like the opinion then don't make any you dumbass. Gasol is not Shaq and Koby has not done anything since Shaq left oh I'm sorry yes he did something, whine and complain like a little bitch demanded to be traded so what makes you think this year is going to be any different. Only a Faker fan believes all the media hype because that's the only way they can keep their inflated ego by the help of the media

Purple & Gold
02-27-2008, 01:36 AM
the lakers have a big 4?!?!?!

lmao. wow, i knew you guys were delusional, but this is too much. big 4! haha

You don't consider Kobe,Gasol,Bynum,and Odom a Big 4??  :drunk :drunk

21_Blessings
02-27-2008, 01:46 AM
But he gets paid for his takes :lol :lol

Thats kinda sad considering he obviously doesn't watch much basketball if he thinks Gasol will be guarding Duncan and not Andrew Bynum.

Bynum has done well against Duncan even going back to the first month of his rookie (even though it was limited minutes back then) season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200711130SAS.html

Nice 2-13 there by Duncan. If you think Bynum's 7'6 wingspan had nothing to do with that than you're delusional. Scary thing, Bynum is only going to get better.

So you think that was all Kwame Brown do you? Well

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200701280LAL.html

Duncan shoots 10-23 against a 19 year old Bynum playing 40+ min. That is no fluke.
If you want to get extremely statistical, lets go to 82games.com a look at what opposing centers shoot against Andrew Bynum:

.423 efg% you say? Well thats elite defense. In a couple years, Bynum will be adding All-NBA defensive teams to his resume.

Purple & Gold
02-27-2008, 02:06 AM
Duncan will get his, but Bynum plays him very well. Players with long wingspan give Timmy problems (well as much as somebody can give him). And I agree, Bynum will only get better and better. Good for the Lakeshow, scary for the rest of the NBA.

But to think the Lakers will waste Bynum on defending Thomas or Oberto is laughable. :lol :lol

DazedAndConfused
02-27-2008, 02:11 AM
Thats kinda sad considering he obviously doesn't watch much basketball if he thinks Gasol will be guarding Duncan and not Andrew Bynum.

Bynum has done well against Duncan even going back to the first month of his rookie (even though it was limited minutes back then) season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200711130SAS.html

Nice 2-13 there by Duncan. If you think Bynum's 7'6 wingspan had nothing to do with that than you're delusional. Scary thing, Bynum is only going to get better.

So you think that was all Kwame Brown do you? Well

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200701280LAL.html

Duncan shoots 10-23 against a 19 year old Bynum playing 40+ min. That is no fluke.
If you want to get extremely statistical, lets go to 82games.com a look at what opposing centers shoot against Andrew Bynum:

.423 efg% you say? Well thats elite defense. In a couple years, Bynum will be adding All-NBA defensive teams to his resume.

blasphemy! you should know you can't use logic and reason to prove your point here on ST.

Holt's Cat
02-27-2008, 03:04 AM
...and Duncan went for 10 of 18 eleven days earlier. All hail the second coming.

bostonguy
02-27-2008, 10:11 AM

With Flip Saunders as the head coach? Not even close. If Larry Brown was coaching they would be.

Considering the fact the Mavs/Lakers have beaten the Spurs in a series unlike the Pistons, I find that suck up comment humorous. :spin :)