PDA

View Full Version : Defense rounding into form?

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Season to date
9th in FG% allowed
3rd in points per game allowed
5th in points differential
8th in 3-point FG% allowed
4th in assists allowed
6th in assist differential
5th in total rebounds allowed
8th in total rebound differential
26th in blocks

Last 10 games
1st in FG% allowed
2nd in points per game allowed
4th in points differential
24th in 3-point FG% allowed
3rd in assists allowed
5th in assist differential
4th in total rebounds allowed
6th in total rebound differential
15th in blocks

urunobili
02-26-2008, 10:25 PM
thanx cat.. good numbers research

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-26-2008, 10:29 PM
I hope our shot blocking goes up with Kurt helping Duncan Oberto and Horry out in the middle.

Is he known for his Shot-blocking?

honestfool84
02-26-2008, 10:30 PM
I hope our shot blocking goes up with Kurt helping Duncan Oberto and Horry out in the middle.

Is he known for his Shot-blocking?

i think he's known more for his rebounding ability, then his shot-blocking ability.

-David

timvp
02-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Nice finds.

41.9% FG% allowed in the last ten games. While it's a little inflated (deflated?) due to the 28.6% the Bobcats shot and the 33.3% the Hawks shot, it's nice to see that number coming down. The addition of Thomas and the introduction of SPAM should only help matters.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-26-2008, 10:36 PM
i think he's known more for his rebounding ability, then his shot-blocking ability.

-David
oh ok,

well I guess Timmy is the only shot-blocking big still. I remember Nazr blocking some shots.

nfg3
02-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Interesting numbers. I like the trend except the 3pt%. What I'm looking for would be our rebounding #'s to get even better with the addition of Thomas. The less second chance point opportunities the other team gets the better. We've lost some games this year due to that. Back in '99 it was pretty much one and done for the other team. We hardly ever gave up those 2nd and 3rd shots at the basket. That puts a lot of pressure on the other team throughout the game to score knowing the ability to to get those 2nd chance points is limited.

Solid D
02-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Good stats work! In this case, doing a nice job "outside the box" is a good thing, Holt's Cat. :smokin

StoneCutter
02-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Holt's Cat,

Could you list the top 10 teams for point differential? I know everyone made trades to change their teams, but I believe this is one of the most indicative stats out there. I am curious how close everyone is. Thanks...

Holt's Cat
02-27-2008, 02:53 AM
Point Differential Rankings

Season-to-date
1 Boston
2 Detroit
3 LA Lakers
4 Utah
5 Spurs
6 Phoenix
7 New Orleans
8 Toronto
9 Dallas
10 Houston

Last 10 games
1 LA Lakers
2 Houston
3 Detroit
4 Spurs
5 Toronto
6 Utah
7 Philadelphia
8 Boston
9 Orlando
10 Dallas

source (http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable1.html#top)

DazedAndConfused
02-27-2008, 02:57 AM
I've never been one to care too much about stats, but I believe pt differential has historically been a very telling stat. Last year when the Mavs won 65+ games the Spurs had a better pt differential I think, and Hollinger's rating system actually predicted them to win the Finals.

StoneCutter
02-27-2008, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the quick response. The top 3 have a pretty big margin, but it will be interesting to see what happens during the rest of the season. As many have already said...this is shaping up to be one of the most interesting stretch runs we've seen.

polandprzem
02-27-2008, 04:02 AM
Hmm strange cause spurs can defend 3pt land pretty good.

All in all defense is more demanding than offense and it's good that the spurs are not playing intense D all year long. I got to say that Pop can come up with pretty nice season plans.

SAGambler
02-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Interesting numbers. I like the trend except the 3pt%. What I'm looking for would be our rebounding #'s to get even better with the addition of Thomas. The less second chance point opportunities the other team gets the better. We've lost some games this year due to that. Back in '99 it was pretty much one and done for the other team. We hardly ever gave up those 2nd and 3rd shots at the basket. That puts a lot of pressure on the other team throughout the game to score knowing the ability to to get those 2nd chance points is limited.

I wouldn't worry too much about 3pt%. Actually what you need to know is how many attempted and how many taken. If there is only a small number taken, then only a few need to fall to have a fairly large percentage. I think the Spurs take care of the 3 pointer pretty well.