PDA

View Full Version : NBA FINALS - Who will take it all?

vanvannen
02-27-2008, 08:44 AM
As much as it hurts to say this, I think the NBA Finals this year will go down between the Celtics and the Lakers.
runner ups: Detroit and San Antonio.

Thoughts?

xtremesteven33
02-27-2008, 08:48 AM
SPURS vs CELTICS

no question...

Lakers, too talented, too young, too soon=lack experience,toughness......spurs win in 5
Pistons, great season, best lineup, bad coach=so close, but celtics win in 7......

phyzik
02-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Spurs vs. Detroit....

no way Celtics beat a motivated Detroit team in a 7 game series.

Spurs make it because Lakers just dont have the experience... I think thats the only factor that separates them from the Spurs... They certainly have the talent though.

ancestron
02-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Spurs-Pistons II.

Capt Bringdown
02-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Celtics n Lakers I'm afraid.

honestfool84
02-27-2008, 09:46 AM
:sleep

i like your signature.
really.
the showtime lakers were a really, really good team.

too bad these aren't the showtime lakers, and we have the san antonio spurs instead.

:fro

-David

Capt Bringdown
02-27-2008, 09:49 AM
EVERY Phil Jackson coached team which hit 40 wins prior to its 61st game, went on to win the NBA title.

ata
02-27-2008, 09:52 AM
^^Every rule has an exception

Taijihu
02-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Spurs-Pistons II.
Agreed

rascal
02-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Lakers vs Celtics or Cleveland ( I like the B Wallace/D West trade for Cleve)

nkdlunch
02-27-2008, 09:57 AM
I see the overhype has reached spurstalk. How are the lakers going to win 4 playoff series in a row when they don't have any other defensive stopper besides Kobe???

can you please tell me which other Laker is a pretty good defender besides Kobe and Bynum? (fisher is just average defender now)

it will be Spurs vs. Cavs. another sweep for spurs

twincam
02-27-2008, 09:58 AM
cliche of a question. We will ONLY know when the actual events occur.

vanvannen
02-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Of course we'll know when it happens. Where's the fun in that?

I think the Lakers are just too damn talented right now. It's true they don't defend as well as the Spurs, but they are not the Suns either. And they surely look impressive on offense.

Medvedenko
02-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Spurs VS Celtics

Xylus
02-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Spurs vs. Pistons

I hope the Celtics make it instead, because I really dislike the Pistons, but it looks like another San Antonio-Detroit matchup in the Finals.

DazedAndConfused
02-27-2008, 12:42 PM
I see the overhype has reached spurstalk. How are the lakers going to win 4 playoff series in a row when they don't have any other defensive stopper besides Kobe???

can you please tell me which other Laker is a pretty good defender besides Kobe and Bynum? (fisher is just average defender now)

it will be Spurs vs. Cavs. another sweep for spurs

Sure, Trevor Ariza. This kid was born to play defense, he's 6'8" and has great footspeed and length. Plays the passing lanes well and really knows how to stay in front of his man. I remember one game we played against DEN earlier in the year, AI was going off for 40+ pts....he couldn't miss. We put Ariza on him in the 4th quarter and he held him to just 2 pts. He should be back before the playoffs.

The way I see it the Lakers will have the rebounding edge over most teams (our frontline is the tallest and longest). We were #1 in the league in rebounding w/ Bynum, that should continue when he gets back. We don't have to play SAS style defense to win a championship, SAS must play that kind of defense because they can't score a lot of points. It's all about pace.

nkdlunch
02-27-2008, 12:58 PM
We don't have to play SAS style defense to win a championship, SAS must play that kind of defense because they can't score a lot of points. It's all about pace.

history shows that the NBA champion needs to play excellent defense. the last 15 nba champions(spurs, heat, pistons, lakers, houston, bulls) all played excellent defense and had plenty of great defensive players. I just don't see that with these lakers.

their offense will take them only so far. like 2nd or 3rd round

thispego
02-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Any "Spurs fan" who doesnt think this Spurs team will make it to the finals this year is not a real Spurs fan. Get the Lakers' dong out of your mouths you fuckin retards. Where is your pride??

duncan228
02-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Nothing will top ratings better than a Lakers/Celtics match.

My money, and my heart, is on the Spurs/Pistons.

I think it will be even better than '05, with every game being a nail biter.

Tradition
02-27-2008, 01:14 PM
I'd love a Lakers/Pistons rematch from 04. Kicking their asses and getting revenge from 04 would be fun. We owned them this year. They needed a lucky Prince 3 from an offensive rebound in a game we were without Bynum and it was before we landed Gasol. We beat them by double digits in the game we had Bynum. Phil also owns Flip and Sheed will have his meltdowns. Itd be great to watch.

my2sons
02-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Every time i hear san antonio can't score, they blowout or outscore teams like denver and phoenix at their game. I know it would be a tough series, but duncan got rings w/out five oh, how many does kobe have w/out snaq. please don't tell me gasol is the new snaq...it will be a great series, but i will go with a battle tested defending champion which added and will probably get back battle tested veterans over a young squad. Unless stern order a purple green series it will be sa vs....fill in the blank

stretch
02-27-2008, 01:23 PM
No one is beating the Cavs in the east. Book it.

SpurForLife
02-27-2008, 01:25 PM
I'd love a Lakers/Pistons rematch from 04. Kicking their asses and getting revenge from 04 would be fun. We owned them this year. They needed a lucky Prince 3 from an offensive rebound in a game we were without Bynum and it was before we landed Gasol. We beat them by double digits in the game we had Bynum. Phil also owns Flip and Sheed will have his meltdowns. Itd be great to watch.

The Pistons didn't have Billups or McDyess (sp??) in that game so it evens out both ways.

Tradition
02-27-2008, 01:33 PM
The Pistons didn't have Billups or McDyess (sp??) in that game so it evens out both ways.

But Flip is still their coach. If Adleman (who is a playoff choker but by far better than Saunders) couldnt handle the pressure against Phil, no way in hell that Flip will. We have the bigs to matchup with their front court and a better bench. Kobe will own Prince this time around. And of course the aging Rasheed Wallace will go 187 on the court. :)

thispego
02-27-2008, 01:34 PM
HAH, Owned

baseline bum
02-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Spurs - Pistons is my best guess.

DazedAndConfused
02-27-2008, 01:35 PM
SAS scored 5 points in a quarter against the Hawks a few days ago, I know they ended up winning but you're not going to play the Hawks in the playoffs. I'd say their offense is not where it needs to be to win a championship. You score 5pts in a quarter against any good WC team and you are walking away with an automatic loss.

And I never said defense didn't matter. I said you don't need to have the best defense in the league to win. The '00-03 Lakers certainly didn't have the league's best defense, in fact SAS was consistently a better defensive team in most categories.

DazedAndConfused
02-27-2008, 01:37 PM
No one is beating the Cavs in the east. Book it.

Despite his homo-erotic man love for Dirk Nowitzki, this guy makes a good point. The Cavs are the darkhouse again that I don't think anyone in the EC wants to face.

Galileo
02-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Spurs beat Celtics 4-3 in highest rated finals of all time. In 3rd OT, Tim Duncan, who already scored 47 points, does a turn-around 25 foot bank shot, with Garnett, Pierce & Allen all over him, to win game 123-120 at the buzzer!

Tim Duncan's Shot in 2004 Playoffs vs the LA Lakers
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5791771591746744071&q=tim+duncan+lakers&total=129&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Then David Stern collapses and dies of a heart attack.

urunobili
02-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Cavs vs Flakers or Cavs vs Spurs

honestfool84
02-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Spurs beat Celtics 4-3 in highest rated finals of all time. In 3rd OT, Tim Duncan, who already scored 47 points, does a turn-around 25 foot bank shot, with Garnett, Pierce & Allen all over him, to win game 123-120 at the buzzer!

Then David Stern collapses and dies of a heart attack.

haha - that's funny.

anyways.
i want it to be spurs and celtics.
i wasn't a huge fan of the pistons series; i would love a game that contradicts our style - where we shut them out and up. orlando or boston would be nice, yes.

-David

vanvannen
02-27-2008, 02:27 PM
haha - that's funny.

anyways.
i want it to be spurs and celtics.
i wasn't a huge fan of the pistons series; i would love a game that contradicts our style - where we shut them out and up. orlando or boston would be nice, yes.

-David

Boston is one of the best defensive teams in the league. However, it would be an amazing match up, far harder than the Cavs of '08.

shelshor
02-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Spurs--4
Celtics-2

word
02-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Spurs -vs 'some team that will get over-hyped by ESPN'. Wait, that will be the Spurs -vs- 'every team they play in the playoffs'. So basically it's just the Spurs -vs- everyone else.

honestfool84
02-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Boston is one of the best defensive teams in the league. However, it would be an amazing match up, far harder than the Cavs of '08.

but they're playing mostly in the east.

i mean, i think if they played in the west, like the spurs are, they wouldn't be the best defensive team.

-David

my2sons
02-27-2008, 03:39 PM
thats a pretty normal response until you look at what boston has done to the west the first half of the season, what it does from here on out is the question

Princess Pimp
02-27-2008, 04:27 PM
The Spursies are not making the Finals stop the wet dreams already please!!

SpurForLife
02-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Neither are the Phoeny Suns with Fat ass Shaq

SpurOutofTownFan
02-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Can we please lock this thread forever.

ClingingMars
02-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Any "Spurs fan" who doesnt think this Spurs team will make it to the finals this year is not a real Spurs fan. Get the Lakers' dong out of your mouths you fuckin retards. Where is your pride??

Shaolin-Style
02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Spurs vs Celtics, epic struggle, TD proves to any doubters that he is the undisputed best PF in the game, and Manu gets the finals mvp.

gasolina
02-27-2008, 05:41 PM
As much as it hurts to say this, I think the NBA Finals this year will go down between the Celtics and the Lakers.
runner ups: Detroit and San Antonio.

Thoughts?

While I hope for your generous prediction to come about but a reality check tells us that it is still the Spurs that look set to win it all. Why? Even with Gasol, my Lakers might not be as all-conquering as you think. Well it was for sometime but with the addition of Kurt T. , you now have a body to put Pau in check. What really worries me are the #1 and #3 spots. Lamar is inconsistent and our pointguards are also plus/minus - there are days when Fisher's mind is somewhere else and Farmar is still a newbie who would be eaten readily by the likes of Manu and Parker.

Bottomline, San Antonio; regardless of over-all record, is built for the play-offs. I envy that your team has a system in place with deep emphasis on defense. The Lakers and Mavs and even the Hornets did some tweakings that improved their offense. The Spurs' counter,naturally, was to add another gear defensively. Though under the radar, the KT acquisition in my mind has as much impact as Gasol going to LA.

Which begs the question, if Brent re-signs with SA?....
..... the Spurs just might get the repeat.

Sense
02-27-2008, 05:57 PM
While I hope for your generous prediction to come about but a reality check tells us that it is still the Spurs that look set to win it all. Why? Even with Gasol, my Lakers might not be as all-conquering as you think. Well it was for sometime but with the addition of Kurt T. , you now have a body to put Pau in check. What really worries me are the #1 and #3 spots. Lamar is inconsistent and our pointguards are also plus/minus - there are days when Fisher's mind is somewhere else and Farmar is still a newbie who would be eaten readily by the likes of Manu and Parker.

Bottomline, San Antonio; regardless of over-all record, is built for the play-offs. I envy that your team has a system in place with deep emphasis on defense. The Lakers and Mavs and even the Hornets did some tweakings that improved their offense. The Spurs' counter,naturally, was to add another gear defensively. Though under the radar, the KT acquisition in my mind has as much impact as Gasol going to LA.

Which begs the question, if Brent re-signs with SA?....
..... the Spurs just might get the repeat.

Totally agree.... I think the Lakers are being just as hyped as the Suns when Nash came to town and seemed nearly unstoppable... all they need is the reality check from the experienced team... this is still the regular season and the Lakers are playing with alot of confidence... I think that's the reason alot of people are putting them way up there... when they aren't there just yet.

02-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Spurs will be boring again if they go back to nba final. :sleep.Rating will go down again....

Allanon
02-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Totally agree.... I think the Lakers are being just as hyped as the Suns when Nash came to town and seemed nearly unstoppable... all they need is the reality check from the experienced team... this is still the regular season and the Lakers are playing with alot of confidence... I think that's the reason alot of people are putting them way up there... when they aren't there just yet.

The difference between the Suns and the Lakers is D'Antoni vs Phil Jackson. I am quite sure that Phil would have won a few rings with Nash, Matrix, Amare.

Princess Pimp
02-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Spurs will be boring again if they go back to nba final. :sleep.Rating will go down again....

Stern will make sure that doesn't happen again..

He already guarateed high ratings meaning the Spurs are not in it!

Allanon
02-27-2008, 06:09 PM
What really worries me are the #1 and #3 spots. Lamar is inconsistent and our pointguards are also plus/minus - there are days when Fisher's mind is somewhere else and Farmar is still a newbie who would be eaten readily by the likes of Manu and Parker.
Parker is much better than Fish but Fish does have some experience and some toughness so he's not useless.
Parker>Fish but Farmar>>Mighty Mouse>JV

Lamar was inconsistent last year but not this year. He's averaged 13 points, 10 rebounds all year. Ever since the Gasol trade, he's averaging like 15 points 12 rebounds. That's all you can ask of Odom...I'll take it.

The Spurs' counter,naturally, was to add another gear defensively. Though under the radar, the KT acquisition in my mind has as much impact as Gasol going to LA.
Although a great move to grab KT, I don't think it comes even close to the Gasol steal.

Mr. Body
02-27-2008, 06:14 PM
If LAL was coached by someone other than Phil Jackson, I'd be less worried. Still, they need at least a postseason to gell. No one makes it there in one season; it hasn't happened in my lifetime.

Sense
02-27-2008, 06:14 PM
The difference between the Suns and the Lakers is D'Antoni vs Phil Jackson. I am quite sure that Phil would have won a few rings with Nash, Matrix, Amare.

Although obviously Phil has some experience... the Lakers don't.... outside of Kobe... Phil can only do so much...

Princess Pimp
02-27-2008, 06:16 PM
If LAL was coached by someone other than Phil Jackson, I'd be less worried. Still, they need at least a postseason to gell. No one makes it there in one season; it hasn't happened in my lifetime.

Don't hold your breath it might happen this season..

Princess Pimp
02-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Although obviously Phil has some experience... the Lakers don't.... outside of Kobe... Phil can only do so much...

0.4 anyone?

Allanon
02-27-2008, 06:21 PM

Championship experience Phil, Kobe, Fish. They are leaders on the team so the rings are in the right hands.

Playoff experience: The Lakers do quite well in this department if only counting playoff games. Practically the entire roster has years of Playoff experience so it won't be their first time.

Gelling I don't think is an issue as it's not a floor leader that you're integrating. Pau has obviously integrated with the Lakers. Bynum reintegrating might be an issue but he doesn't handle the ball much, he usually is just the finisher so he's mostly "stay close to the basket and catch the ball"

I think you both have a point and I agree that experience is the biggest knock on the Lakers.

The Franchise
02-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Now that Yao is hurt I guess I'll give it to the Spurs. :cry

Tradition
02-28-2008, 03:49 AM

2000 Enough said. Phil's first 3 years results in a 3 peat.

Tradition
02-28-2008, 03:51 AM
What I dont get is the Lakers "lack experience" but the Spurs had players that lacked that same exact thing in 2003. What helped is having a mix of vets like Kerr, Ferry, Steve Smith to help out Jax,Manu,Parker,Speedy etc etc. Lakers have the same thing in Kobe,Fisher,Walton,Phil etc etc.

Newton
02-28-2008, 03:54 AM
It is still Feb. Is it not?

MajicMan
02-28-2008, 04:05 AM
Celtics I'm afraid. They just picked up PJ Brown and will pick up Smeagal Sam Cassell.

z0sa
02-28-2008, 05:12 AM
spurs vs. pistons rematch.

spurs take it in 6