PDA

View Full Version : Diop sounds off on Mavs

SenorSpur
02-27-2008, 01:54 PM
If the Spurs have any interest this summer, in former Mavs center, Desagana Diop, (and I damn sure hope they will), they'll likely encounter some competition from the Nets, who are seemingly angling toward retaining his services. He also sounds off on his former team, too.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/51125/20080227/nets_hoping_to_keep_diop/

February 27, 2008 -- Devin Harris, who may make his Nets' debut tomorrow after his first full practice with the team today, was the key acquisition in the trade of Jason KiddJason Kidd . But the guy who originally was seen by many as little more than an expiring contract, DeSagana Diop, also could be a real keeper.

"I think he's going to help us," team president Rod Thorn said of Diop. "He's got a defensive presence, he's athletic, blocks shots, gets rebounds. I think he's a good player. He is someone we will look to re-sign. We like what we see."

Though New Jersey already feels like "home", Diop made one prediction for Dallas.

"They are going to miss me," the 7-foot Diop said. "They got a Hall of Fame star, a point guard. But defensively I really think they're going to miss me.

"You hope they [Nets] want you. At the same time, I know what I can do. I know as long as I stay healthy, I'm going to be around, if not here somewhere else," said Diop, born in Senegal and the No. 8 overall pick by Cleveland in 2001. "But I do look at New Jersey like a home. The coaching staff, everybody, Rod, they're saying they looking at the future so I've got to keep working and then see how it's going to be in the summer."

G-Nob
02-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Truer words never been spoken.

mavsfan1000
02-27-2008, 01:58 PM
I agree. Diop's defense was real key for us but at least we got Magloire.

sribb43
02-27-2008, 02:08 PM
yes the defensive player of the year Gana Diop was the key to all of our success....enjoy playing in that dump the "IZOD Center"

Herschel Walker
02-27-2008, 02:20 PM
I agree. Diop's defense was real key for us but at least we got Magloire.
Magloire was given every opportunity by the nets to beat out Jason Collins and he couldnt do it. That's not a good sign for those hoping he'll replace Diop's defense.

mavsfan1000
02-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Magloire was given every opportunity by the nets to beat out Jason Collins and he couldnt do it. That's not a good sign for those hoping he'll replace Diop's defense.
Both Jason Kidd and Allen said that Magloire still has it. He just didn't fit in because the Nets used the Princeton offense and Magloire is a low post player.

sribb43
02-27-2008, 02:45 PM

i find that hard to believe....ill go with more with Lawerence Franks incompetence. I hope no one is dumb enough to say Collins is better than Magloire. im not saying magloire is good or great but no one in this league is more of a spare than the Collins twins

monosylab1k
02-27-2008, 02:48 PM
I would miss him more if he had more than 1 good game a week and could have managed to get more than 15 minutes a game.

ploto
02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
They are going to miss me defensively-- is sounding off on the Mavs?

G-Nob
02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
i find that hard to believe....ill go with more with Lawerence Franks incompetence. I hope no one is dumb enough to say Collins is better than Magloire. im not saying magloire is good or great but no one in this league is more of a spare than the Collins twins

Magloire = Nigerian Nightmare

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Magloire = Nigerian NightmareHe's from Canada. His ancestors come from Trinidad.

MannyIsGod
02-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Weak.

G-Nob
02-27-2008, 02:59 PM
He's from Canada. His ancestors come from Trinidad.

The insinuation was that mavsfan1000 was praising jamal so much that apparently he equates to the next hakeem.

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
I wonder where Fazekas will end up. He hasn't quite adjusted to the NBA three point line and is still physically weak, but he can play basketball.

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 03:02 PM
The insinuation was that mavsfan1000 was praising jamal so much that apparently he equates to the next hakeem.Oh. I didn't know that was one of his nicknames. My lack of that knowledge is quite sad.

Bruno
02-27-2008, 03:10 PM
I wonder where Fazekas will end up. He hasn't quite adjusted to the NBA three point line and is still physically weak, but he can play basketball.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-cliprep27feb27,1,2673122.story?ctrack=3&cset=true

To help in the short term, the Clippers will probably sign 6-foot-11 forward Nick Fazekas to a 10-day contract.

mavsfan1000
02-27-2008, 03:12 PM
The insinuation was that mavsfan1000 was praising jamal so much that apparently he equates to the next hakeem.
Yeah saying he is less than Diop is considered praising. :rolleyes

Findog
02-27-2008, 03:40 PM
First there was Russell...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1316/576651641_bd704b31f1.jpg

Then came his only begotten Son....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1083/985193477_770ba73067.jpg

WTF do we do now?

SenorSpur
02-27-2008, 03:42 PM
He's from Canada. His ancestors come from Trinidad.

I believe he's actually from Senegal

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
I believe he's actually from Senegal
I think he was talking about Magloire.

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 03:45 PM
I believe he's actually from SenegalI was talking about Magloire. Now I feel like bringing a fifth center into the thread so it looks like I knew what I was doing all along.

xcoriate
02-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Chump was talking about Magloire.

Diop is right but no one is going to care for his D in NJ

SenorSpur
02-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Chump was talking about Magloire.

Diop is right but no one is going to care for his D in NJ

My bad.

Magloire's agent made overtures to the Raptors about him rejoining the team. Isn't it interesting that the Raptors passed on him?

Shank
02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Diop's been tearing it up in NJ since the trade. I think he had 3 boards and 5 fouls last night. Fucking. Hard. Core.

sribb43
02-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Diop's been tearing it up in NJ since the trade. I think he had 3 boards and 5 fouls last night. Fucking. Hard. Core.

yep and no points in 27+ minutes of action since the trade...this guy is a beast

td4mvp21
02-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't understand why Mavs fans are taking this so fucking lightly. Diop's pissed. He's going to drop 6 and 6 on you next time the teams meet. Watch your back!

sribb43
02-27-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't understand why Mavs fans are taking this so fucking lightly. Diop's pissed. He's going to drop 6 and 6 on you next time the teams meet. Watch your back!

:lol ...is that 6 fouls and 6 turnovers

Findog
02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
10 rebounds, 10 blocks, 10 charges drawn, 0 points. A Diop triple-double.

Shank
02-27-2008, 04:41 PM
March 8th

NETS AT MAVS

DIOP'S REVENGE. Watch your ass.

mavsfan1000
02-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Diop can be a really good player if he is put around players that can score. Dallas had that and that is why I think he will be a big loss to our defense.

Findog
02-27-2008, 04:46 PM
March 8th

NETS AT MAVS

DIOP'S REVENGE. Watch your ass.

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Diop

http://www.turnerclassicart.com/images/Khan150.jpg

Ocotillo
02-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Diop can be a really good player if he is put around players that can score. Dallas had that and that is why I think he will be a big loss to our defense.

You are correct sir. He is a good role player and is valuable in the right mix.

SpurOutofTownFan
02-27-2008, 05:16 PM
If the Spurs have any interest this summer, in former Mavs center, Desagana Diop, (and I damn sure hope they will), they'll likely encounter some competition from the Nets, who are seemingly angling toward retaining his services. He also sounds off on his former team, too.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/51125/20080227/nets_hoping_to_keep_diop/

February 27, 2008 -- Devin Harris, who may make his Nets' debut tomorrow after his first full practice with the team today, was the key acquisition in the trade of Jason KiddJason Kidd . But the guy who originally was seen by many as little more than an expiring contract, DeSagana Diop, also could be a real keeper.

"I think he's going to help us," team president Rod Thorn said of Diop. "He's got a defensive presence, he's athletic, blocks shots, gets rebounds. I think he's a good player. He is someone we will look to re-sign. We like what we see."

Though New Jersey already feels like "home", Diop made one prediction for Dallas.

"They are going to miss me," the 7-foot Diop said. "They got a Hall of Fame star, a point guard. But defensively I really think they're going to miss me.

"You hope they [Nets] want you. At the same time, I know what I can do. I know as long as I stay healthy, I'm going to be around, if not here somewhere else," said Diop, born in Senegal and the No. 8 overall pick by Cleveland in 2001. "But I do look at New Jersey like a home. The coaching staff, everybody, Rod, they're saying they looking at the future so I've got to keep working and then see how it's going to be in the summer."

I love SenorSpur's sense for Basketball. This would be definitely a good adquisition - he was solid when playing the spurs. And he's probably right on everything he says.

ChuckD
02-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Magloire = Nigerian Nightmare
Former KC Chiefs RB Christian Okoye was the Nigerian Nightmare, at least until Steve Atwater drove his ass back through a hole that his line opened up for him.

Never heard Hakeem called that.

TDMVPDPOY
02-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Imo his worth at least 3m-MLE money only for what his going to provide only on defense.....

anything more is overpaying

hey look at guys we once had, rasho 8m/yr, or nazr who were earning above MLE....they come to spurs there stats decline, all we need is a big body in the middle who can play defense and rebounds...

heck is there a 7ft poster on this forum who cant do that at 50k a year? ....

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Both Jason Kidd and Allen said that Magloire still has it. He just didn't fit in because the Nets used the Princeton offense and Magloire is a low post player.

:lmao Because the Mavs' offense sooooo runs through the low post...

Magloire couldn't get off the pine in an offense that actually set him up for backdoor cuts every now and then, yet somehow he's going to thrive in the chucker's paradise up in Dallas. This is going to be awesome to watch.

T Park
02-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Amazing how Diop has gone from "a great contributor" to "A stiff" in a matter of 2 years.

monosylab1k
02-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Amazing how Spurs fans are still so arrogant that they think they understand the Mavericks' situation better than Mavs fans do.

dirk4mvp
02-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Amazing how Diop has gone from "a great contributor" to "A stiff" in a matter of 2 years.

That's what happens when your productions goes to shit.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Amazing how Spurs fans are still so arrogant that they think they understand the Mavericks' situation better than Mavs fans do.

Amazing how Dallas fans mistake understanding the game and what makes it more complicated for the Spurs (as in, Harris guarding Parker and Diop guarding Tim) as arrogance.

dirk4mvp
02-27-2008, 11:34 PM

It's even mroe amazing how in the mind of Spur fans Diop has went from decent low post defender to a wide Bill Russell in even less time.

monosylab1k
02-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Amazing how Dallas fans mistake understanding the game and what makes it more complicated for the Spurs (as in, Harris guarding Parker and Diop guarding Tim) as arrogance.
Amazing how Spurs fans are so arrogant that they think it's all about them, even when it's about Dallas.

T Park
02-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Its more amazing how Dallas fan has forgotten the games against the Spurs and what it took to beat the Spurs.

dirk4mvp
02-27-2008, 11:40 PM
It's also pretty amazing how Spur fans don't realize Dirk won us that series not Diop blocking a few shots and Duncan missing a few point blank layups.

monosylab1k
02-27-2008, 11:41 PM
I understand that losing Harris & Diop hurts Dallas against San Antonio. I guess if the Spurs were on the schedule 82 times this year, the trade would be a total failure. But they're not.

I'll take my chances in a 7 game series against the Spurs with the team we've got. It's not like we had a guaranteed series win with Harris/Diop either.

T Park
02-27-2008, 11:41 PM
It's also pretty amazing how Spur fans don't realize Dirk won us that series not Diop blocking a few shots and Duncan missing a few point blank layups.

Yeah Diop didn't play good defense, nor did Devin Harris.

Thats fine, We like that you guys are in a haze over everything.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Amazing how Spurs fans are so arrogant that they think it's all about them, even when it's about Dallas.

Says the Dallas fan with his panties in a bunch on a site called Spurstalk.com.

dirk4mvp
02-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Yeah Diop didn't play good defense, nor did Devin Harris.

Thats fine, We like that you guys are in a haze over everything.

Nope. Just Duncan missing point blank layups he's supposed to miss. No surprises at all.

monosylab1k
02-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Says the Dallas fan with his panties in a bunch on a site called Spurstalk.com.
:lol still with this bullshit? that's so 2007.

"it's OUR website, so you accept what WE say! Nyahhh!"

Findog
02-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Its more amazing how Dallas fan has forgotten the games against the Spurs and what it took to beat the Spurs.

This is true. Devin and Diop were more important than Dirk, Josh and Terry.

T Park
02-27-2008, 11:44 PM
This is true. Devin and Diop were more important than Dirk, Josh and Terry.

Howard sure didn't do much in the 4th quarters of those games....

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2008, 11:46 PM
:lol still with this bullshit? that's so 2007.

"it's OUR website, so you accept what WE say! Nyahhh!"

No, I just think it's funny hearing a Dallas fan bitching about Spurs fans talking about a team the Spurs might face in the playoffs on a Spurs message board.

If you can't understand what I'm saying, you suck at the internet.

Findog
02-27-2008, 11:46 PM

:lmao

dirk4mvp
02-27-2008, 11:47 PM

Howard still scored more in the 4th quarters than Diop did the entire series I'm sure.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Howard still scored more in the 4th quarters than Diop did the entire series I'm sure.

Mavs fan still doesn't get the significance of defense, I'm sure.

Brutalis
02-27-2008, 11:50 PM
I think Diop can learn from the Spurs staff and actually prove useful. I don't think he will be any better in terms of personal fame but really just success. 20mpg tops.

Really, he won't sign with us imho. Cuban, side deal, dunno. But won't.

monosylab1k
02-27-2008, 11:51 PM
No, I just think it's funny hearing a Dallas fan bitching about Spurs fans talking about a team the Spurs might face in the playoffs on a Spurs message board.
lol right.

"The Mavs traded Devin & Diop, they're fucked!"

"Um, I follow the Mavs, and after watching every game this season, I'd like to offer the insight that Diop was playing 15 minutes a game and doing very little to help the team this year. After watching every game I have come to this conclusion. Every minute of every game. Not just 30 second Sportscenter highlights, or looking at box scores. Actually watching the games, ya know. And Diop sucked balls. He was great in 06, he sucks balls now."

"Whatever Mav fan I saw him kick Duncan's ass in OT of Game 7 when Duncan was totally gassed and Diop came in completely fresh off the bench. Diop was your key to total victory. I'm a Spurs fan, I know these things."

"Well I'd just like to offer again that I've uh, seen all the Mavs games this year so I might have a bit more insight on the-"

"LISTEN TO MY SUPERIOR KNOWLEGE, MAV FAN, OR LEAVE SPURSTALK!"

dirk4mvp
02-27-2008, 11:51 PM

You're right. Howard's not the one who made Duncan miss layups. Josh should definitely work on that skill.

Findog
02-27-2008, 11:53 PM
The Spurs have Udoka now. At the time, they were screwed because they had nobody to guard Howard AND Dirk. Put Bowen on Dirk at the free-throw line extended, and Josh will make a backdoor cut for an easy layup with Timmy on him. Stick Bowen on Josh, and watch Dirk rape whichever lumbering big or undersized wing the Spurs threw out there. Josh's numbers weren't that great, 16 pts and 7 boards per game on 45% shooting, but he definitely caused the Spurs fits with his defense and being on the floor at the same time as Dirk.

T Park
02-27-2008, 11:54 PM
You're right. Howard's not the one who made Duncan miss layups. Josh should definitely work on that skill.

Your not even making sense anymore....

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2008, 11:54 PM

Let me dumb it down for you and mono.

As long as Dallas doesn't run into LA (Bynum), Phoenix (Shaq), or SA (TD), not having Diop won't hurt you.

If Dallas does run into one of those three, you're fucked.

itzsoweezee
02-28-2008, 12:00 AM
don't want him

Findog
02-28-2008, 12:01 AM

Josh is a good defender. And Diop is living off the overtime in Game 7 when he spent all of regulation on the bench while Tim was gassed.

Magloire getting Diop's 15 minutes per game is not going to be the difference between winning and losing a series. I doubt it even adds up to winning or losing a game. You don't stop Duncan, you mitigate him by running a bunch of bodies at him and using up your allotted 6 fouls per player. It's not like Diop and Dampier played Duncan straight up the entire time they were on the floor, they received weakside help and the occasional double. The Mavs did a good job of rotating around to make sure the Spurs didn't get as many open looks from the arc. I'd rather have Diop to defend Duncan than Magloire, but Magloire is just as good a rebounder, and we won't be playing 4 on 5 on offense with Magloire instead of Diop. We have to beat four teams, not just the Spurs. It's a risk and a tradeoff.

And as far as Devin being some kind of Parker stopper, Tony has averaged 19 and 4 assists against Dallas since the beginning of that series. Devin over that same period of time has averaged 12 points and 3 assists per game. Maybe you forgot Game 7, when Parker curbstomped Devin: 24 points, 5 assists, 1 turnover; Harris -- 2 points, 0 assists, 5 turnovers. Why don't you ask Baron Davis and Dwyane Wade if they think Harris is some sort of Bowenesque shutdown defender.

Jason Kidd won't defend Parker as well as Harris did, but he will damn sure make Parker work on defense much more than he ever did on Devin.

itzsoweezee
02-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Jason Kidd won't defend Parker as well as Harris did, but he will damn sure make Parker work on defense much more than he ever did on Devin.

yeah, because kidd is such an offensive force. i'm sure parker is shaking in his boots

Findog
02-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Let me dumb it down for you and mono.

As long as Dallas doesn't run into LA (Bynum), Phoenix (Shaq), or SA (TD), not having Diop won't hurt you.

If Dallas does run into one of those three, you're fucked.

We'll beat Phoenix. Their defense is terrible with Nash, Amare and Shaq on the floor together. I'd rather play the Spurs than the Lakers. The Kidd trade doesn't make us the favorites by any means, but it gives us a fighting chance, and we're better now than we were before the trade. If all we had to do was beat San Antonio, then I would've stood pat. But you don't get a ring for beating the Spurs.

As for Bill Russell's magnificent defense on Duncan in overtime of Game 7, he sat on the bench for the first 48 minutes while Duncan was gassed. We still have the center who helped wear Duncan down.

Magloire is not some kind of savior. He was a good pickup for the vet minimum. If you think we're going to lose a series solely because of him taking over Diop's 12-15 mpg, then I can't help you. I think ultimately we'll be done in by lack of perimeter defense.

Findog
02-28-2008, 12:05 AM
yeah, because kidd is such an offensive force. i'm sure parker is shaking in his boots

:lmao

Are you retarded? Kidd is a bad outside shooter, therefore he's a worthless offensive player. Good one, Spur fan.

SequSpur
02-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Diop is shitty and this bullshit is a waste of my got damn time and internet space.

T Park
02-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Kidd is a bad outside shooter, therefore he's a worthless offensive player

When playing the Spurs?

Uh yup.

Findog
02-28-2008, 12:12 AM
When playing the Spurs?

Uh yup.

His running mates aren't K-Mart, Vince and Jefferson anymore. You're adding Kidd to two guys that are Spurs killers, and he's going to make their life easier and get them better looks in halfcourt sets, when the playoffs slow down and the game becomes more physical. I'm sorry, but Kidd > Parker, and Magloire = Diop. We're better now. We'll see if that equates to better than the Spurs in May.

Findog
02-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Diop is shitty and this bullshit is a waste of my got damn time and internet space.

Thank you Sequ.

jag
02-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Saying that Dirk is the answer and not defense is comical. Tim might have missed layups but he's managed to accumulate a few rings...tell me something about "your answer"...

dirk4mvp
02-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Ring smack. Who woulda guessed? Good job though, we made it 3 pages before it started.

Findog
02-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Saying that Dirk is the answer and not defense is comical. Tim might have missed layups but he's managed to accumulate a few rings...tell me something about "your answer"...

It's too early to say if the Mavs are going to be significantly worse on defense with Kidd and Magloire as opposed to Harris and Diop. Kidd is certainly better at defending big, physical guards like Baron and Kobe, while Harris is better suited for running with the quick guys like Parker, Barbosa, Paul, etc. And I'm not saying Kidd is going to shut anybody down, but Harris wouldn't either. Ask Dwyane Wade about Devin shutting him down.

Diop is a better shotblocker, Magloire is just as good a rebounder and can score, while Diop is a complete nonentity on offense. Part of the reason we lost to Golden State was a complete inability to get points in the paint.

Saying Harris and Diop are our most important players against San Antonio or any team for that matter over Dirk, Josh and Terry is comical.

Findog
02-28-2008, 12:28 AM
FWIW:

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/story/2008/2/27/234914/751

While it is still very early to measure the impact of Jason Kidd on the Mavericks and Shaquille O'Neil on the Suns, it is certainly not too soon to see if there are any early trends to pick up on. Two of the most important to use in gauging progress are offensive and defensive efficiency. Let's take a look at how the teams have changed using these broad but important measures.

By the way, I'm not a statistician, so I couldn't find any splits for efficiency pre- and post-trade, so let's just look at a less accurate but still relevant comparison: The efficiency stats to date (including Shaq's and Kidd's games) versus a general average of their efficiency since the new players joined each team. Stats are courtesy knickerblogger.com.

Offense

Phoenix already had a dominant offense before Shaq arrived, so it is not at all a problem if their offense hasn't improved with him in the line-up. In fact, their offense is so dominant that the Suns would probably have welcomed a slight decrease in their offensive production for a big improvement in their defense. So what happened?

Their offensive efficiency this year is 114.9, which ranks them No. 1 in the NBA by a wide margin. In the games since Shaq joined the team, the Suns efficiency looks like this: 122.8, 89.5, 90.5, 128.3, 104.0. So we have two very good games, a poor game, and two very poor games. This averages out to 107, which is a significant drop off in offensive performance.

Again, it is early, but the Suns offense certainly is looking like it took a hit with the departure of Shawn Marion and the arrival of Shaq.

The Mavericks offense for the year has been good, but not at all in Phoenix's class. In terms of efficiency, the Mavericks have a 112.5 efficiency, good for eighth in the league. But how have they been since Kidd arrived? Here are the numbers: 102.2, 106.5, 110.0, 102.0. The average over these games is 105.2.

So in what is probably a surprise to most people, the Mavs offense has gotten worse with Kidd in the line-up to a degree almost as much as the Suns offense has gotten worse with Shaq in the line-up. There are a lot of reasons for this, from the absolutely wretched performance of Josh Howard to the turnovers, but the bottom line may be tough to accept at this point, but it is true: Up to this point, the Mavericks with Kidd in the line-up are simply not as good on offense as they were when Harris was in the line-up. By the way, this certainly lends credence to Wes' point in an earlier post that Dirk's not getting easier shots, he's simply more focused.

Defense

Of course offense is only half the game. I am certain that coach Avery Johnson would gladly sacrifice some offense for a significant improvement in his team's defense, which has been mediocre at best this year. Has Kidd (and Shaq) sparked an improvement on the defensive side of the ball?

For Phoenix this is a critical question. Their athletic team has been able to overcome systemic defensive shortcomings in the past, but they just traded away their single best (and athletic) defender. Will Shaq's presence in the paint more than make up for this? Well, Suns fans, I'm afraid not.

Currently, the Suns defensive efficiency stands at 108.2, which is No. 15 in the NBA. The defense since Shaq has started playing has been absolutely dismal. Here are the numbers (lower is better): 128.7, 81.1, 122.1, 114.1, 121.2. Outside of the Celtics game, the Suns defense has been dramatically worse.

To put this in perspective, the average over those games is 113.4. The worst defense in the NBA belongs to the Knicks with a defensive efficiency of 113.1, and the Suns are worse than that.

It is a spectacularly different story in Dallas. In what I consider a surprise of monumental proportions, Kidd's impact on the team has been overwhelmingly on the defensive side. For the year, the Mavericks defensive efficiency stands at 107.0, around tenth in the league, and about as good as they've done for the season. How has the defense looked with Kidd on the team? Here are the numbers: 114.3, 90.2, 92.2, 94.0.

Outside of Kidd's debut against New Orleans, the Mavericks defense has been spectacular. Their efficiency with Kidd, even including New Orleans, is roughly 97.7. To put this in perspective, the best defense in the league currently belongs to Boston with an efficiency of 100.1. The defense with Kidd is a magnitude better than that.

The Bottom Line

So the real story with Kidd is that his presence has created a more fluid but significantly less efficient offense but has also led to a completely dominant defense. Somehow, I think Avery Johnson feels this is a welcome trade-off. For the Suns, they face the rather depressing situation where Shaq has significantly hurt their offense and absolutely cratered their defense.

jag
02-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Ring smack. Who woulda guessed? Good job though, we made it 3 pages before it started.

Rings speak louder than MVP trophies when it comes to clutch.

Findog
02-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Rings speak louder than MVP trophies when it comes to clutch.

Why do you think the Mavs made the trade? To win more regular season games? When the game slows down in the postseason and points are harder to come by, who you do you want running your halfcourt offense, Jason Kidd or Devin Harris? One of the best floor generals in the league or a guy who telegraphs his passes? Our guys won't have to go iso and work their asses off to get decent looks, Kidd will do that work for them. Our late-game offensive execution against Miami and Golden State was awful. There are no guarantees, and this trade doesn't make us the favorites, but it gives us a fighting chance we didn't have.

jag
02-28-2008, 12:35 AM
It's too early to say if the Mavs are going to be significantly worse on defense with Kidd and Magloire as opposed to Harris and Diop. Kidd is certainly better at defending big, physical guards like Baron and Kobe, while Harris is better suited for running with the quick guys like Parker, Barbosa, Paul, etc. And I'm not saying Kidd is going to shut anybody down, but Harris wouldn't either. Ask Dwyane Wade about Devin shutting him down.

Diop is a better shotblocker, Magloire is just as good a rebounder and can score, while Diop is a complete nonentity on offense. Part of the reason we lost to Golden State was a complete inability to get points in the paint.

Saying Harris and Diop are our most important players against San Antonio or any team for that matter over Dirk, Josh and Terry is comical.

We're not commenting from the perspective of Laker fan, GS fan, or suns fan...as a Spurs fan i realize who scored your points and who you're "big three" are. I also realize the athleticism of Harris that bothered parker on both ends of the floor, and the problems Diop gave Duncan with his D.

I guess you can decide to ignore that.

Findog
02-28-2008, 12:42 AM
We're not commenting from the perspective of Laker fan, GS fan, or suns fan...as a Spurs fan i realize who scored your points and who you're "big three" are.

Well, if we got a ring just for beating the Spurs, I'd rather we stood pat. But we weren't going to beat the Lakers, and the Warriors and Suns would've been extremely tough.

I also realize the athleticism of Harris that bothered parker on both ends of the floor, and the problems Diop gave Duncan with his D.

I guess you can decide to ignore that.

Parker against the Mavs since the beginning of the western semis two years ago: 19 points and 4 assists per game. Devin against the Spurs since the beginning of that series: 12 points and 3 assists per game.

Parker in Game 7 against Dallas: 24 points, 5 assists, 1 turnover;

Harris in Game 7 against San Antonio: -- 2 points, 0 assists, 5 turnovers.

Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry, Josh Howard, Erick Dampier, Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse are the reasons you lost, in that order. Diop came off the bench in overtime with fresh legs while Timmy was gassed. It was Erick Dampier who helped wear Timmy down. He's still here. I guess you can decide to ignore that.

Mitch Cumsteen
02-28-2008, 12:49 AM
In what I consider a surprise of monumental proportions, Kidd's impact on the team has been overwhelmingly on the defensive side. For the year, the Mavericks defensive efficiency stands at 107.0, around tenth in the league, and about as good as they've done for the season. How has the defense looked with Kidd on the team? Here are the numbers: 114.3, 90.2, 92.2, 94.0.
Thanks for the link Findog, but color me unimpressed with shutting down Memphis, Minnesota, and Chicago. Those are three of the most incompetent offensive teams in the league.

jag
02-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Well, if we got a ring just for beating the Spurs, I'd rather we stood pat. But we weren't going to beat the Lakers, and the Warriors and Suns would've been extremely tough.

Parker against the Mavs since the beginning of the western semis two years ago: 19 points and 4 assists per game. Devin against the Spurs since the beginning of that series: 12 points and 3 assists per game.

Parker in Game 7 against Dallas: 24 points, 5 assists, 1 turnover;

Harris in Game 7 against San Antonio: -- 2 points, 0 assists, 5 turnovers.

Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry, Josh Howard, Erick Dampier, Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse are the reasons you lost, in that order. Diop came off the bench in overtime with fresh legs while Timmy was gassed. It was Erick Dampier who helped wear Timmy down. He's still here. I guess you can decide to ignore that.

The defense of Devin Harris > Jason Kidd. Defense wins championships and you lost a lot of it with that trade. If you think no look passes are going to put you over the top you're in for a surprise.

Findog
02-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the link Findog, but color me unimpressed with shutting down Memphis, Minnesota, and Chicago. Those are three of the most incompetent offensive teams in the league.

Oh, I agree, it's way too early to make a definitive judgment about the Kidd trade until they play stiffer competition. We have 4 games in 5 nights: @ Spurs, vs. Kings, @ Lakers, @ Jazz. Hopefully I'm not a Gloomy Gus here on Tuesday. I'll take 2-2 in that stretch and be grateful.

Findog
02-28-2008, 01:07 AM
The defense of Devin Harris > Jason Kidd.

That really depends on whom they're guarding. Devin Harris hasn't shut down anybody in the playoffs.

If you think no look passes are going to put you over the top you're in for a surprise.

That's right, that's all Kidd does is make highlight reel plays. He does nothing else.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2008, 01:26 AM
Chicago Bulls, mono? What bet did you lose now?

Findog
02-28-2008, 01:35 AM
Chicago Bulls, mono? What bet did you lose now?

No bet, it's making fun of Lakeshow. He claims Lakeshow is a Rockets fan posing as a Laker fan in order to post title smack.