PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 HDDVD Add On

Medvedenko
02-27-2008, 02:12 PM
So, I went to best buy yesterday and the HDDVD add on is now reduced to 49.99...since I had a gift card I picked one up. I know it's a dead format, but there are tons of good movies on it and the picture quality is top notch. Don't get me wrong, I will be buying a bluray player sooner than later, but for $50 bucks plus King Kong, not a bad deal.

ATRAIN
02-27-2008, 02:13 PM
So, I went to best buy yesterday and the HDDVD add on is now reduced to 49.99...since I had a gift card I picked one up. I know it's a dead format, but there are tons of good movies on it and the picture quality is top notch. Don't get me wrong, I will be buying a bluray player sooner than later, but for $50 bucks plus King Kong, not a bad deal.

Yeah as seen in the blu-ray vs hd dvd thread amazon has the hd dvds on sale too. I thought about it as well, but I might wait a while.

Medvedenko
02-27-2008, 02:19 PM
The only draw back with exception to the dead format is the sound out of the add on...it doesn't support True HD or HD DTS. Still, my receiver has built in decoding for this. I bought 2 cheap 1$15 HDDVD yesterday, Dune and The Fountain. Both pretty sweet movies.

ATRAIN
02-27-2008, 02:21 PM
The only draw back with exception to the dead format is the sound out of the add on...it doesn't support True HD or HD DTS. Still, my receiver has built in decoding for this. I bought 2 cheap 1$15 HDDVD yesterday, Dune and The Fountain. Both pretty sweet movies.

Original Dune or Sci Fi Version?

Medvedenko
02-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Original Dune....I have a soft spot for this movie...but I did enjoy the Sci Fi Version.

ATRAIN
02-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Original Dune....I have a soft spot for this movie...but I did enjoy the Sci Fi Version.

Same here. Even the the sci fi version is better story wise, the old school is classic.

PM5K
02-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah it's a dead format but for fifty bucks, I don't know if I could say no, especially if it comes with King Kong like the Circuit City website says. You also have the movies for a lot cheaper than Blue Ray as well.

If you wanted an upconverter you might be better off with the stand alone player, only 99.00

Mister Sinister
02-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Ehhh...I can't honestly see myself upgrading to either Blu-Ray *or* HDDVD. I'm A) cheap enough, and B) Stubborn enough to just stick with regular dvd. :lol Hell, I still watch VHS tapes.

PM5K
02-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Ehhh...I can't honestly see myself upgrading to either Blu-Ray *or* HDDVD. I'm A) cheap enough, and B) Stubborn enough to just stick with regular dvd. :lol Hell, I still watch VHS tapes.

I don't know how anyone can see HD and watch anything else.

I've been acquiring my HD content in let's say, unusual ways, but I'm tempted to buy the HD-DVD add on, those movies will be damn near free soon, sure you can't get more but you also can't get BlueRay near this price.

PM5K
02-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I read a little more about it, as far as I can tell if you buy it by tomorrow you still get the free movies, plus King Kong so that's six movies and an HD-DVD player for less than fifty bucks plus tax..

Certainly not a bad deal, especially considering I already have the remote it comes with so I'd just sell it on Craigslist for ten bucks...

The movies are also only going to get cheaper and cheaper, I know Hollywood Video is clearing them out, I heard something about two for twenty...

Mister Sinister
02-27-2008, 05:18 PM
I don't know how anyone can see HD and watch anything else.

I've been acquiring my HD content in let's say, unusual ways, but I'm tempted to buy the HD-DVD add on, those movies will be damn near free soon, sure you can't get more but you also can't get BlueRay near this price.
I guess I'm just weird that way. As long as I can see and hear it clearly enough to appreciate and enjoy it, that's good enough for me.

Medvedenko
02-27-2008, 06:03 PM
It's a good deal for now and for the price you can't go wrong. I'll be very hard pressed into getting a Blu-ray player in the coming months. Once the price comes down to reasonability and it plays all of the HD sound I want...no point yet.

Holmes_Fans
02-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah it's a dead format but for fifty bucks, I don't know if I could say no, especially if it comes with King Kong like the Circuit City website says. You also have the movies for a lot cheaper than Blue Ray as well.

If you wanted an upconverter you might be better off with the stand alone player, only 99.00
Up converter is nowhere near the quality of true HD

PM5K
02-28-2008, 12:47 AM
Up converter is nowhere near the quality of true HD

I'm well aware of that, I think the 360 will upconvert on it's own as well if you're using the new HDMI version.

I picked up one of these at FYE today, they have a 30.00 rebate, and I *might* be able to get away with getting the rebate and the free movies.

I'm in the middle of King Kong which luckily I've never seen before and it's amazing.

The quality of the HD you see via cable/satellite is good but it's not nearly as good as HD-DVD...

Medvedenko
02-28-2008, 01:46 AM
I'm well aware of that, I think the 360 will upconvert on it's own as well if you're using the new HDMI version.

I picked up one of these at FYE today, they have a 30.00 rebate, and I *might* be able to get away with getting the rebate and the free movies.

I'm in the middle of King Kong which luckily I've never seen before and it's amazing.

The quality of the HD you see via cable/satellite is good but it's not nearly as good as HD-DVD...

yup totally agree...once the prices drop on HDDVD's I'm all over it.

PM5K
02-28-2008, 03:23 AM
yup totally agree...once the prices drop on HDDVD's I'm all over it.

Thanks a lot for the heads up, just finished watching King Kong, I love Naomi Watts, great movie, beautiful to watch.

The prices have already dropped, you might have to do some leg work but they have.

I heard Hollywood Video has buy one get one coupons in their in-store magazine, they can be used to buy one 14.99 HD-DVD and get one free, which I'll be checking out tomorrow.

ATRAIN
02-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah thats a pretty sweet deal and the price will drop.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
I posted the direct link in the other thread, but Amazon is offering half-off HD-DVDs.

PM5K
02-28-2008, 02:13 PM
I went today and got two movies, 300 and Shooter from Hollywood Video.

I'll probably go back and get a couple of others but today I wanted to get two movies I hadn't already seen, I'll probably go back and get The Departed and Training Day.

16.00 with tax for both movies, in like new condition, 300 is a DVD/HD-DVD.

My only complaint, I didn't get the little red boxes, I got regular sized DVD boxes.

Buy one get one, not a bad deal...

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I went today and got two movies, 300 and Shooter from Hollywood Video.

I'll probably go back and get a couple of others but today I wanted to get two movies I hadn't already seen, I'll probably go back and get The Departed and Training Day.

16.00 with tax for both movies, in like new condition, 300 is a DVD/HD-DVD.

My only complaint, I didn't get the little red boxes, I got regular sized DVD boxes.

Buy one get one, not a bad deal...

Not bad. I just bought the 360 drive from BB, might have to swing by HV, too.

Medvedenko
02-28-2008, 02:54 PM
No Hollywood Video up here in Calgary, Canada...but a few vid stores are still renting them out. I noticed that I see a few discounts but I haven't seen any at half price. I could order them via Amazon and I know Best Buy is starting mark them down.

PM5K
02-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Well the idea is the same in Calgary, since there won't be any more HD-DVD everyone is selling them cheap.

Burn531
02-28-2008, 07:57 PM
I picked this up at BB earlier this week also. It's a great deal considering the movie prices are gonna drop. HD is HD.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-28-2008, 09:32 PM
For some reason, I was only charged $40 at Best Buy when I went to pick up my order @ the North Star location. Maybe they're cutting them further?