PDA

View Full Version : Vote for David Robinson!

Kori Ellis
02-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Teresa Edwards, David Robinson, ‘92 Dream Team Selected By U.S. Olympic Committee As 2008 U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame Finalists

-- Online Voting to Select the 2008 U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame Class Is Underway --

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Feb. 27, 2008) -- The United States Olympic Committee today announced the finalists for the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame Class of 2008 and listed among the finalists are five-time Olympian Teresa Edwards, three-time Olympian David Robinson and the historic 1992 ‘Dream Team’ that captured gold at the Barcelona Olympics.

The USOC invites the public to vote online at http://www.usolympichalloffame.com/ to help determine who will comprise the next class of inductees. Six individual Olympians, one Olympic team and one Paralympian, along with a coach, a veteran and a special contributor, will be honored during the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. The awards-show style ceremony will take place at 7:00 p.m. (CT) on June 19 at the Joan W. and Irving B. Harris Theater in Chicago, Ill. Additionally, a nationally-televised special will enable sports fans across the United States to re-live the moments that catapulted the Class of 2008 inductees to U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame status. Additional information regarding the telecast of the induction ceremony will be released at a later date.

Envisioned as a lasting tribute to the pursuit of excellence and the Olympic ideals, the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame was established to celebrate the achievements of America’s premier athletes in the modern Olympic Games.

"USA Basketball is elated to see patriots like Teresa Edwards, David Robinson and the ‘92 Dream Team on the 2008 U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame ballot," said USA Basketball executive director Jim Tooley. "Edwards and Robinson are two of the most respected and talented athletes to don a USA Basketball uniform. They represented their country with pride and excellence and are true ambassadors for this country and the game. Undoubtedly one of the best basketball teams ever fielded was the 1992 Dream Team as evidenced by its worldwide popularity and the fact that 10 team members were named among the NBA’s 50 greatest players of all time."

Edwards, the most decorated Olympic basketball player on the planet, is the only U.S. female athlete to garner gold medals in four different Olympiads. She won gold in 1984, 1988, 1996 and 2000, while returning with the bronze medal in 1992. Edwards is also the USA’s only five-time Olympic basketball player and one of only three five-time Olympic basketball athletes in the world to ever play the game (Oscar Schmidt, Brazil, no medals; Andrew Gaze, Australia, no medals). Edwards, a four-time USA Basketball Female Athlete of the Year and one of the most respected players in international women’s basketball history, first put on a USA uniform at the age of 17 at the 1981 U.S. Olympic Festival and was a fixture on USA Basketball teams for nearly two decades. Of a possible 18 medals competing for USA Basketball, she won 14 gold, one silver and three bronze medals. Additionally, Edwards was voted by 1996 U.S. Olympic Team captains to take the Olympic Oath on behalf of all Olympic competitors at the 1996 Olympic Games Opening Ceremonies.

The USA’s only male three-time Olympic basketball player, Robinson competed in his first Olympiad in 1988, earning a bronze medal. He was then named to the 1992 and 1996 Olympic teams and aided those squads to gold. A 1987 U.S. Naval Academy graduate with a mathematics degree, Robinson, who took a leave of absence from the Navy to compete on the 1988 U.S. Olympic Team, honored a commitment to serve two years in the Navy before joining the NBA. Defined by his actions off the court even more than on the court, in recognition of his outstanding efforts in 2003 the NBA renamed its award for outstanding charitable efforts after Robinson. The monthly NBA Community Assist Award winners now receive the David Robinson Plaque.

The historic 1992 Dream Team was never challenged in its eight-game run to the gold medal as a new era of international basketball made its debut. Featuring eventual 1996 Olympic gold medalist Charles Barkley, Larry Bird, Clyde Drexler, 1984 Olympic gold medalist Patrick Ewing, Earvin ‘Magic’ Johnson, 1984 Olympic gold medalist Michael Jordan, Christian Laettner, eventual 1996 Olympic gold medalist Karl Malone, 1984 Olympic gold medalist Chris Mullin, eventual 1996 Olympic gold medalist Scottie Pippen , eventual three-time Olympian Robinson and eventual 1996 Olympic gold medalist John Stockton, the U.S. squad averaged an Olympic record 117.3 points a game. In fact, the USA won by an average of 43.8 points and the closest any opponent could come was 32 points (117-85 versus Croatia in the gold medal game).

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 02:53 PM
I voted for Robinson and Edwards, along with Mary T. Meagher, Jeff Blatnick, Joan Benoit Samuelson, and Amy Van Dyken.

polandprzem
02-27-2008, 03:03 PM
I voted for Robinson and Edwards, along with Mary T. Meagher, Jeff Blatnick, Joan Benoit Samuelson, and Amy Van Dyken.
You all voted for Robinson and Edwards?

:tu

whottt
02-27-2008, 03:10 PM
I voted for Drob and the Dream Team...

Drob definitely deserves to be in the Olympic HOF as he is the all time leader in games played, Olympics represented, medals won, and several other categories as well...blocks/boards etc.

He's played on more Team USA basketball(Including the FIBA tournament) teams than any other player.

MoSpur
02-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Voted

hsxvvd
02-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Voted today, will vote tomorrow if I'm allowed.

alamo50
02-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the article Kori!

timvp
02-27-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't usually care about these things but I voted for DRob and only DRob. Everyone else can wait for another year.

:smokin

stevenger
02-27-2008, 03:54 PM
I voted :)

samikeyp
02-27-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't usually care about these things but I voted for DRob and only DRob. Everyone else can wait for another year.

:smokin

:tu

Solid D
02-27-2008, 04:41 PM
I remember fondly when David was pulled by John Thompson in favor of Danny Manning and watching the Gold medal swirl down the drain.

timvp
02-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I remember fondly when David was pulled by John Thompson in favor of Danny Manning and watching the Gold medal swirl down the drain.Even worse, wasn't he pulled for JR Reid?

:dizzy

P.S.

The US would have won gold in '88 if John Thompson didn't turn in the worst coaching job I've ever witnessed.

BlackSwordsMan
02-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I voted Oscar dlh and drob

Solid D
02-27-2008, 04:49 PM
To vote, select up to six athletes and click "Submit Your Vote"

Greg Barton
Bruce Baumgartner
Joan Benoit Samuelson
Jeff Blatnick
Brian Boitano
Valerie Brisco-Hooks
Oscar De La Hoya
Teresa Edwards
Karch Kiraly
Mary Terstegge Meagher Plant
Sheila Young Ochowicz
Darrell Pace
J. Michael Plumb
David Robinson
John Smith
Amy Van Dyken
Peter Westbrook
Lones Wigger

MajorMike
02-27-2008, 05:15 PM
I voted for DRob and John Smith

milkyway21
02-27-2008, 08:29 PM
The USA’s only male three-time Olympic basketball player, Robinson competed in his first Olympiad in 1988, earning a bronze medal. He was then named to the 1992 and 1996 Olympic teams and aided those squads to gold. A 1987 U.S. Naval Academy graduate with a mathematics degree, Robinson, who took a leave of absence from the Navy to compete on the 1988 U.S. Olympic Team, honored a commitment to serve two years in the Navy before joining the NBA. Defined by his actions off the court even more than on the court, in recognition of his outstanding efforts in 2003 the NBA renamed its award for outstanding charitable efforts after Robinson. The monthly NBA Community Assist Award winners now receive the David Robinson Plaque.

they didn't mention the Admiral as the All-time scoring champion in the Olympics aside from being a 3-time Olympian, has anybody surpassed his score total so far? Or am I wrong about thinking that he once made a record of the highest total score in the Olympics for a long time?

DRob deserve this recognition. Let's vote:tu

thebigchill
02-27-2008, 08:38 PM
1 more for 5-0

milkyway21
02-27-2008, 08:55 PM
well, Drob is still is the Olympics record-holder of

most points -280 pts
most blocked shots - 34 blocks
most rbds- 124 rbds
:clap

let's vote.