PDA

View Full Version : Barry Rules Out Rockets

whottt
02-27-2008, 03:04 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=5892829&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Barry Rules Out Rockets

Last Edited: Wednesday, 27 Feb 2008, 11:33 AM CST
Created: Wednesday, 27 Feb 2008, 11:33 AM CST

Houston Rockets logo/AP Photo FOX 26 Sports

Related Items
Links
More Houston Sports News

HOUSTON -- Free agent guard Brent Barry told FOX 26 Sports he plans to make a decision on his future later Wednesday but that decision no longer includes the Houston Rockets.

"To put it in basketball terms, the Rockets put on a full court press. But, when it was announced Yao Ming had the injury that made things pretty tough," Barry said. "It didn't cinch the decision because the Rockets have a lot to offer. Yao's injury is a big blow to the team, the city, and the rest of the league for that matter."

Yao has a stress fracture in his left foot and will not play for the rest of the season.

Barry said he spoke several times with Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey and Head Coach Rick Adelman and that the Rockets did everything possible and a little bit more.

"They sent me a box of goodies that included video messages from several of their players and from (former Astros stars) Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio telling me great things about the city and the team," Barry said. "I jokingly said that if Bagwell and Biggio sent me an autographed bat that would cinch the deal."

A 13-year veteran, Barry played with the Spurs the last four years helping them to two NBA Championships. He was averaging 7.3 points and 1.8 assists a game prior to the trade. He has also played for the Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, Chicago Bulls, and the Seattle SuperSonics for five years from 2000-2005.

"Brent was very complimentary," said Daryl Morey, Rockets General Manager. "He didn't get into specifics but told us he was going in a different direction."

The Spurs and the Phoenix Suns appear to be the favorites to sign Barry.

whottt
02-27-2008, 03:06 PM
I can't believe Barry turned down the chance to play with Scola.

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 03:06 PM
If he intends to re-sign with the Spurs, he's certainly making it clear that he's considered multiple offers. There's going to be a very clear paper trail, with plenty of comments from Brent, to help disprove any claims of collusion.

whottt
02-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Well plus it's just common courtesy...

If he came out saying eff the Rockets they are chokers who have zero shot at a ring, it probably wouldn't do much for his image.

WalterBenitez
02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Did we send any goodies to Brent?

Come on POP, send two red wines you bought in ARG to great Brent!!!

naico
02-27-2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=5892829&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Barry Rules Out Rockets

Last Edited: Wednesday, 27 Feb 2008, 11:33 AM CST
Created: Wednesday, 27 Feb 2008, 11:33 AM CST

Houston Rockets logo/AP Photo FOX 26 Sports

Related Items
Links
More Houston Sports News

HOUSTON -- Free agent guard Brent Barry told FOX 26 Sports he plans to make a decision on his future later Wednesday but that decision no longer includes the Houston Rockets.

"To put it in basketball terms, the Rockets put on a full court press. But, when it was announced Yao Ming had the injury that made things pretty tough," Barry said. "It didn't cinch the decision because the Rockets have a lot to offer. Yao's injury is a big blow to the team, the city, and the rest of the league for that matter."

Yao has a stress fracture in his left foot and will not play for the rest of the season.

Barry said he spoke several times with Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey and Head Coach Rick Adelman and that the Rockets did everything possible and a little bit more.

"They sent me a box of goodies that included video messages from several of their players and from (former Astros stars) Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio telling me great things about the city and the team," Barry said. "I jokingly said that if Bagwell and Biggio sent me an autographed bat that would cinch the deal."

A 13-year veteran, Barry played with the Spurs the last four years helping them to two NBA Championships. He was averaging 7.3 points and 1.8 assists a game prior to the trade. He has also played for the Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, Chicago Bulls, and the Seattle SuperSonics for five years from 2000-2005.

"Brent was very complimentary," said Daryl Morey, Rockets General Manager. "He didn't get into specifics but told us he was going in a different direction."
The Spurs and the Phoenix Suns appear to be the favorites to sign Barry.
What does that mean?

samikeyp
:tu

SpursWoman

:lol

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 03:11 PM
What does that mean?

I might be wrong -- my English can be pretty spotty sometimes -- but I think it means that Brent decided he wasn't going to sign with the Rockets and was choosing, instead, to sign with another NBA team located in some place other than Houston.

mavsfan1000
02-27-2008, 03:15 PM
It's all a setup. Barry is going to San Antonio.

naico
I might be wrong -- my English can be pretty spotty sometimes -- but I think it means that Brent decided he wasn't going to sign with the Rockets and was choosing, instead, to sign with another NBA team located in some place other than Houston.

thanx smartie..
Im askin' myself if it could mean he's goin' a different direction compared to the situation he was in when playing for San Antonio.

MoSpur
Well, it does look like its down to just two teams. I hope he's just creating drama to make it seem like it was not pre-arranged.

honestfool84
02-27-2008, 03:16 PM

i don't know if that was sarcasm or not..

but that sure came out funny.

-David

whottt
02-27-2008, 03:17 PM
thanx smartie..
Im askin' myself if it could mean he's goin' a different direction compared to the situation he was in when playing for San Antonio.

It means he's going in the opposite direction of the Rockets...

DazedAndConfused
02-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Dallas pay attention, this is how you do collusion the right way!

Barry, what a sweet setup for him. He gets to rest and chill for the next month, get goodie bags from all the other teams around the league and then go back and sign with the Spurs for a chance to win another ring.

WalterBenitez
:clap :clap :clap

ata
I don't think that Huston had any real chances even before Yao's injury. Barry can pick real contender, and Huston is not for real yet.

whottt
02-27-2008, 03:19 PM

Barry, what a sweet setup for him. He gets to rest and chill for the next month, get goodie bags from all the other teams around the league and then go back and sign with the Spurs for a chance to win another ring.

Um...don't sell yourself short, if Dallas wants to see collusion done the right way they need to observe what the Grizz and Lakers pulled off...

That is A-list collusion, it's actually HOF level collusion and will not be surpassed this season.

Let's make sure we give credit where credit is due...Spurs couldn't collude like the Lakers if they tried...

Cry Havoc
02-27-2008, 03:20 PM
thanx smartie..

Then why did you ask? Don't you think if we knew he was going, there would be a post about it by now?

tmtcsc
02-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Did we send any goodies to Brent?

Come on POP, send two red wines you bought in ARG to great Brent!!!

Yes, here's what we sent him:

http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store/Vendor204/160/TM0987-s-m.jpghttp://www.kickz101.com/v1/catalogue/stuff/dvds/pics/spursnbachampions2.jpg http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/hplead_051101_ring.jpghttp://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1030/nba_ap_spurs_ring_300.jpghttp://images.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_SM/0269-0606-0717-0803_SM.jpg http://blogs.tampabay.com/popmusic/images/funyuns_2.jpeg

honestfool84
02-27-2008, 03:23 PM

laker fans, pay attention, this is how you reinforce your image as a complete jackass!

-David

whottt
02-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Yes, here's what we sent him:

http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store/Vendor204/160/TM0987-s-m.jpghttp://www.kickz101.com/v1/catalogue/stuff/dvds/pics/spursnbachampions2.jpg

Hmmm...could Brent be upset that he never got his picture on the DVD?

J.T.
02-27-2008, 03:26 PM
lol we sent him Beno's two rings?

stretch
02-27-2008, 03:26 PM
:lol, funyuns

MoSpur
02-27-2008, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't mind some Funyuns right about now.

Findog
02-27-2008, 03:30 PM
i don't know if that was sarcasm or not..

but that sure came out funny.

-David

FromWayDowntown has a dry sense of humor

- Findog

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-27-2008, 03:31 PM
This has got to be so tough for a prankster like Barry. If I was in this position I'd be making so many outlandish requests.

"I won't say I'd sign with you for sure, Darryl, but if you get me a picture of Biggio and Bags in Rangers caps, Oilers jerseys, and tutus the Rockets odds would be looking a lot better."

td4mvp21
02-27-2008, 03:32 PM
FromWayDowntown has a dry sense of humor

- Findog

timvp
02-27-2008, 03:33 PM
:lol @ the thought of Barry signing with the Rockets. That'd be the worst fit imaginable for Barry.

If Barry is just stackhousing it, I could imagine this conversation:

Barry: Hey Pop, get this, the Rockets sent me a gift basket with some videos in it.

Pop: LOL, the Sprockets?

Barry: LOL

ancestron
02-27-2008, 03:37 PM
The Funyuns should seal the deal.

easjer
02-27-2008, 03:38 PM
This has got to be so tough for a prankster like Barry. If I was in this position I'd be making so many outlandish requests.

"I won't say I'd sign with you for sure, Darryl, but if you get me a picture of Biggio and Bags in Rangers caps, Oilers jerseys, and tutus the Rockets odds would be looking a lot better."

:lol @ the thought of Barry signing with the Rockets. That'd be the worst fit imaginable for Barry.If Barry is just stackhousing it, I could imagine this conversation:

Barry: Hey Pop, get this, the Rockets sent me a gift basket with some videos in it.

:lmao

Louie Vega
02-27-2008, 03:40 PM
lol

G-Nob
02-27-2008, 03:55 PM
How could he turn down all that playing time???

:rollin @ tmtcsc

stevenger
02-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Yao Ming is injured. Now no one wants to play for Housaton Rockets. T-Mac is loser. Nothing happens from Rockets.

nkdlunch
02-27-2008, 03:58 PM
this is getting ridiculous.

Xylus
02-27-2008, 04:00 PM
I heard Barry just turned down the Globetrotters

ThomasGranger
02-27-2008, 04:02 PM
But he is still entertaining an offer from the Generals.

Xylus
02-27-2008, 04:03 PM
But he is still entertaining an offer from the Generals.
Traitor.

Dex
http://z.about.com/d/sanantonio/1/7/Z/D/-/-/celebration13.jpg

G-Nob
Yao Ming is injured. Now no one wants to play for Housaton Rockets. T-Mac is loser. Nothing happens from Rockets.

Are you going to take over game thoughts from timvp?

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 04:07 PM
I suspect that we can rule out any possibility that Barry will end up with the Sonics, T'Wolves, Grizzlies, Clippers, or Kings at this point, too. Just to keep an official list of excluded teams completely accurate.

easjer
02-27-2008, 04:07 PM
FWD - you are killing me today. Fabulous.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-27-2008, 04:10 PM
http://z.about.com/d/sanantonio/1/7/Z/D/-/-/celebration13.jpg
"Big, shiny boobs. Sooooo hungry."

Borosai
02-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I had some Funyuns the other night - salty goodness, but where the hell are the onions?

WildcardManu
02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
^ :lol

tmtcsc
02-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Funyuns rock. I don't eat them all the time because it kind of ruins it for me (Kinda like Haribo Cola Gummis) but damn they seem to hit the spot.

Spurs Brazil
02-27-2008, 04:35 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba_experts/post/Where-we-at-Buyouts-and-free-agents;_ylt=Avzgj8_IjJDp5sfmx0W1jIm8vLYF?urn=nba,6 8893

Brent Barry, free agent
Sorry, Boston, Houston and Dallas ... Brent Barry has whittled his imaginary candidate list down to San Antonio and Phoenix. I say "imaginary" because I don’t believe for a second that Barry is/was considering joining any other team besides his Spurs. He just played it up to avoid another Stackhouse-to-the-Nets-only-to-return scenario. That was ugly. Also, Barry lives in San Antonio, he's familiar with the system and staff, and the Spurs are believed to be sweetening the pot with a third year. Barry will remain in the silver and black. I bet my house chores on it.

easjer
02-27-2008, 04:40 PM
The comments in that were awesome.

Oh, the dirty, dirty, cheating, awful, rule breaking, unfair Spurs! What with trading Brent Barry and forcing the Sonics to waive him and preventing all those other teams from picking him up off waivers and making the same offers of a vet min contract for a couple of years that four other teams made to the new free agent!

The league should look into this and put a stop to free agency immediately!

phxspurfan
02-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Seriously, what does SPAM stand for? I hate to make another thread about this, so I'm just asking here...

duncan228
02-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Seriously, what does SPAM stand for? I hate to make another thread about this, so I'm just asking here...

Spurs Peak After March.

duncan228
02-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Ed Helicopter Jones does the wonderful SPAM Pilgrimages.
There are lots of great threads, here's March '07:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61364

SpursWoman
02-27-2008, 05:35 PM
:lol @ the thought of Barry signing with the Rockets. That'd be the worst fit imaginable for Barry.

If Barry is just stackhousing it, I could imagine this conversation:

On Yahoo IM, no doubt. :lol

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 05:36 PM
The comments in that were awesome.I like the one that touted Barry's defense and rebounding.

Radiosparks
02-27-2008, 05:43 PM

Hahahahahaa....I love it!
:clap