PDA

View Full Version : David Edwards has died

Chris Duel
02-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Former Madison football player dies

Web Posted: 02/27/2008 01:47 PM CST San Antonio Express-News

David Edwards, a former Madison High School football player who suffered a paralyzing injury in a 2003 playoff game, died early Wednesday afternoon at Northeast Methodist Hospital, Edwards' grandfather Lorenzo Kelly said.

He was 20.

Edwards had stopped breathing Monday night. Faye Stanton, Edwards' mother, and a neighbor performed CPR on Edwards before paramedics arrived at their Northeast Side home that night. He slipped into a coma and was listed in critical condition at the hospital Tuesday.

Stanton said Edwards had been battling pneumonia since last fall.

Edwards was a junior defensive back at Madison when he snapped the fourth vertebra in his neck while making a tackle in a game against Austin Westlake on Nov. 15, 2003.

He would have turned 21 Saturday.

Chris Duel
02-27-2008, 03:41 PM
http://www.chrisduel.com/05DavidEdwards.gif

He was an amazing young man. I had him on my KTSA radio show in 2005.

His attitude was an inspiration.

This is such a sad, sad day.

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 03:48 PM
That is terribly sad news. When I heard last night that he had fallen into a coma, I immediately flashed back to the images of the hit that left him paralyzed. That tape is horrifying for anyone; but as someone who had to quit playing football because of neck injuries, that sort of footage is particularly harrowing. I had hoped that David would be able to carry on a fairly normal life, despite his injury, but I suppose it's extremely difficult to avoid a tragic ending in these circumstances. It's great to have a picture of him smiling to remind us all that he was a very good kid who was befallen by one extremely bad accident.

BacktoBasics
02-27-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm confused? The back injury is related to the death?

ashbeeigh
02-27-2008, 03:57 PM
:cry I was pulling for him since I heard about this last night. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm confused? The back injury is related to the death?

Not a back injury, a spinal cord injury that left him paralyzed.

I know nothing about the cause of death, but I suspect that like many quadriplegics, David Edwards became extremely vulnerable to illness (pneumonia seems to have been the culprit here) and his body was unable to fight it off.

samikeyp
02-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Very sad. I read this morning about him going into a coma. He was a brave young man. My heart goes out to his family.

Chris Duel
02-27-2008, 04:43 PM
We'll be paying tribute to David Edwards throughout our radio show this afternoon.

At 5:20pm, we'll be speaking with David's football coach at Madison, Jim Streety.

Also, Eddie Calales of Gridiron Heroes.

Former Detroit Lion Mike Utley at 5:40pm.

We're also reaching out to the entire San Antonio sports community for their thoughts today: Don Harris, David Chancellor, Chuck Miketinac, Joe Reinagel, Greg Simmons, Anthony Pittman, David Flores, Richard Oliver, Gary DeLaune (who called the game when David was injured), Paul Alexander and others.

If you'd like to share your thoughts about David on-air, call us at 656-ESPN between 5-7pm today.

tlongII
02-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Hopefully spinal cord injuries now and in the future will be treated with newest medical techniques as was done in the Kevin Edwards incident. I wonder if this kid would have had a different outcome if these techniques were available at the time of his injury?

degenerate_gambler
02-27-2008, 04:51 PM
that is a shame..

condolences to the family.

pickle girl
02-27-2008, 05:29 PM
It's a shame STSA doesn't think it's worth mentioning.

mouse
02-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Very sad day Chris. Is the family doing ok with money? Let me know if you and your friends want to do a benefit/fund raiser.

561-9941

GoGatos
02-27-2008, 07:19 PM
It's a shame STSA doesn't think it's worth mentioning.

You must not have been listening. We mentioned this in every single one of our sports updates. Also, some callers called in to give their condolences to his family. Taylor gave condolences ot the Edwards family as well, also telling the story about a kid Taylor knew in Everman who was paralyzed during a game a few years ago and talked about how it's such a horrible thing when a young man goes down like that.

So before you use this as a chance to take a shot, get your facts straight.

I do not want to hijack this thread and make it about the two shows because it's a terrible thing that happened and the discussion should stay centered around David and his family and what an outstanding human being he was. If you want to discuss how this story was handled on STSA, you can PM me.

Duncan
02-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Sad news Chris Duel what ever ST can do let us know!

GoGatos I have over an hour of Mike Taylors show today talking about some girls breast you have a site I can host the file, I will post it for all to hear..

johnsmith
02-27-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm going to sound like a dick here, but I'm really not meaning it that way............For those of you bitching about one station covering this more then the other, while listening to Duel talk about the death of a kid I'd never heard of, I stopped and thought to myself, I'd like to hear about sports now.......so I switched to Sirius.

This is a very sad day for the kid's family and friends, and I'm sure for many, many more folks...........but you are broadcasting to an entire city that may or may not know who this kid was, and for those people (which would include me), we got bored after the first 5 minutes.

GoGatos
02-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Sad news Chris Duel what ever ST can do let us know!

GoGatos I have over an hour of Mike Taylors show today talking about some girls breast you have a site I can host the file, I will post it for all to hear..

Like I said, dude...PM me and I will gladly discuss. This thread is not the place for it.

Again, David Edwards was an amzing soul and those in this city who knew of him mourn with his family today. I applaud Chris Duel for devoting his show to Edwards' memory.

curtismedellin
02-27-2008, 09:55 PM
At 6:30pm i left work after a 13 hour day. I knew about David only through media coverage. Despite what some posters may say about this subject, your interveiws with Gary De Laun, Joe Reinagle and The Coach Paul Alexander made me care more than I had before. The insight and perspectives on the way this young man led his life even after his tradgedy inspired me even today, and believe me after todays work schedule that was a hard thing to do. My condolences to Davids family, he is in a better place now, his attitude towards life will be his monument forever.

Chris Duel
02-27-2008, 11:16 PM
...but you are broadcasting to an entire city that may or may not know who this kid was, and for those people (which would include me), we got bored after the first 5 minutes.

"johnsmith," With all due respect, while you may have never met David Edwards, for you to have been bored after five minutes speaks more about you than about David or our choice to devote our entire broadcast to his memory.

This was a remarkable young man and an amazing spirit.

If you're right, johnsmith, then Jason Minnix, Dawn Murphy, Don Harris, David Chancellor, Chuck Miketinac, Greg Simmons, Anthony Pittman, Joe Reinagel, Coach Paul Alexander, Coach Jim Streety, Gary DeLaune and former Detroit Lion Mike Utley were wrong.

But I think you're wrong, johnsmith.

I'll err on the side of what is right any day. I hope you enjoyed Sirius today. I doubt that Sirius had the heart and soul of David Edwards today.

I'll glady take the responsibility (along with Jason and Dawn) for today's broadcast. I am proud of it. We all knew David Edwards. And it was right to pay tribute to him on the afternoon of his death.

Chris

Chris Duel
02-27-2008, 11:23 PM
GoGatos,

Thanks for your kind words.

I agree with you that this thread should not be about any comparison between both sports stations/shows. Clearly, you get it.

Death trumps all competition.

The death of a hero should give us all pause.

Peace.

Chris

pickle girl
02-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Like I said, dude...PM me and I will gladly discuss. This thread is not the place for it.

Again, David Edwards was an amzing soul and those in this city who knew of him mourn with his family today. I applaud Chris Duel for devoting his show to Edwards' memory.

Word! GoGatos is a class act!
And I apologize for any comments made that took away from the original topic, I was venting on the ticket and I was wrong.

This young man is an inspiration to many, not only those in wheelchairs but many others who take for granted how good we have it.
As For johnsmith all you have to do is search his last 100 comments they are always negative and he should be ashamed to use this topic to spew his hate.

Why Kori keeps him around no one has figured it out yet.

I hope we can have a David Edwards day this time every year the man was an Angel!

mouse
02-28-2008, 12:30 AM
The name of this topic should be............David Edwards is walking tall!

Where he is at tonight he needs no chair! And I am sure they get AM radio up in the big GTG in the sky.

I am sad but very happy for the vato. And I think God spared him a life of having to depend on others. I had a friend in Milwaukee who was very bitter being a quadriplegic.

he always talked about how many ways he or someone else could end his suffering.
I would watch him one day a week and let me tell you that was enough. He needed help with food,body functions and that part was easy. Keeping him in good spirits was the real work. But with David Edwards it was like he was the one who lights up the room. Can you imagine a man knowing his life would be spent watching others Golf,run, and dance while he has to have someone change his clothes for him to have a better attitude then most young rich teens today who talk about ending their life or wasting it away on drugs and sexual relations.

The man was an Angel and now he soars above us all and we should think about him and his family at least once a day when we feel like giving up.

Thank you ESPN for giving Chris,Jason and Dawn the opportunity to use the airwaves to try and maybe give back at least 1% of 110% respect this young man gave to others. I hope you all gained something today I know I have.

God Bless David Edwards and his family.

dawn
02-28-2008, 12:41 AM
That was the best post I have ever seen from you Mouse. I am fighting back tears as I type. This kid moved me, more than any of you will ever know. I NEVER felt bad for him the times I saw him. He just seemed too happy and too full of life to feel down.

Today was the first time I wanted to cry. For selfish reasons. Because he is not here for all of us to enjoy. His heart will remain though and what he gave back to this community. I am happy he will not hurt anymore, and his SMILE will remain with me for the rest of my life. Thank you Lord for letting me meet David Edwards.

Chris Duel
02-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Mouse,

You and I have talked about the profound meaning of death before.

The sacrifices your father made to our country gave you a perspective many will never have.

We talk a lot of shit on these Internet message boards.

But I think that times like this give us an opportunity to reflect on life and heroism.

It ain't all comedy and it ain't all trash talk.

Sometimes it's REAL.

And it should be real.

God Bless David Edwards.

I will never be half the man he was.

I was honored to share his presence for a very short time.

He impacted so many lives in his short time on this planet.

We should all be so lucky.

Thank you, David.

Say hello to Mouse's Dad and my Dad too.

We'll all be seeing you sooner than we could possibly imagine.

KEDA
02-28-2008, 12:49 AM
RIP David Edwards

Our prayers to his family.

tweeter44lb
02-28-2008, 01:15 AM
My prayers go out to his family, I played against him that day, and it was the worst experience of my life seeing an athlete go down like that. He was a good player, with a good team that was there for him. The play he got hurt, he got hurt doing his job and making a great play. I wish his family and friends the best.

"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. " John 11:25

Cop

mouse
02-28-2008, 01:46 AM
That was the best post I have ever seen from you Mouse. I am fighting back tears as I type. This kid moved me, more than any of you will ever know. I NEVER felt bad for him the times I saw him. He just seemed too happy and too full of life to feel down.

Today was the first time I wanted to cry. For selfish reasons. Because he is not here for all of us to enjoy. His heart will remain though and what he gave back to this community. I am happy he will not hurt anymore, and his SMILE will remain with me for the rest of my life. Thank you Lord for letting me meet David Edwards.

Dawn it must be his spirit! How else can I feel as though I just been baptized just from hearing your radio show? This kid had a purpose in life and it came with a price.

It's almost scary to think how his life may change others in a way no faith healer or celebrity could. I don't think I have been this emotional since the poor girl who had the yellow tarp over her face while she clung to life.

Sorry if forgot her name I can't think right now.
I really think ESPN showed the people of San Antonio that from 5-7 they have a friend and will spend every minute of the show to make sure you feel as though you have a Family member on the other side of that radio.

You people today confirmed your show is about San Antonio, and the real people who live and die in this city.

I may never change the radio dial again and why should I?
thank you all at the station for your kindness today and I am sure anyone who tunned in for more than 10 minutes will agree.

Smackie Chan
02-28-2008, 01:49 AM
Mouse,

You and I have talked about the profound meaning of death before.

The sacrifices your father made to our country gave you a perspective many will never have.

We talk a lot of shit on these Internet message boards.

But I think that times like this give us an opportunity to reflect on life and heroism.

It ain't all comedy and it ain't all trash talk.

Sometimes it's REAL.

And it should be real.

God Bless David Edwards.

I will never be half the man he was.

I was honored to share his presence for a very short time.

He impacted so many lives in his short time on this planet.

We should all be so lucky.

Thank you, David.

Say hello to Mouse's Dad and my Dad too.

We'll all be seeing you sooner than we could possibly imagine.

^ well said Mr. Duel
thank you!

Nbadan
02-28-2008, 01:50 AM
I may never change the radio dial again and why should I?

Wasn't it yesterday you posted ESPN 1250 sucked?

:lol

marini martini
02-28-2008, 01:52 AM
My prayers go out to his family, I played against him that day, and it was the worst experience of my life seeing an athlete go down like that. He was a good player, with a good team that was there for him. The play he got hurt, he got hurt doing his job and making a great play. I wish his family and friends the best.

"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. " John 11:25

Cop

Phenom posts every one! Makes me proud to live here :toast

Tweeter44lb., that took some courage to post, may the heavenly father be at your side.

Smackie Chan
02-28-2008, 01:57 AM

I must say Dawn you had your best show yet! You sounded like you have been doing radio for 20 years. You knew what questions to ask, when to ask them, and you seemed legit asking them. I hope today ends any doubts about your talent and the success of your show.

And I look froward having this young mans Family and friends on the show to hear what they have to say.

Thank you Dawn for sharing with us your private emotions many never admit they have. With a little David Edwards in our hearts we can always get through life's challenges with a smile.

Smackie Chan
02-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Wasn't it yesterday you posted ESPN 1250 sucked?

:lol

The network not the show re-read the topic. And get rid of the laughing smiley icon it serves no purpose in this topic brah!

Nbadan
02-28-2008, 02:03 AM
So Duel's show isn't on ESPN 1250?!?

Nbadan
02-28-2008, 02:09 AM
As far as the David Edwards death goes - it's a sad story, but I personally know at least 2 maybe 3 guys that died from steriod abuse, a habit they started while playing Texas H.S. football, those are sad stories too...and what about Gabe Rivera......SA high-school football legend, crippled in a tragic car accident the first year of his NFL career...I knew his dad, treated him as my own dad...that's a sad story too...there's lots of sad stories out there....

grindmouse
02-28-2008, 02:11 AM
NbaDan I have all the shows on my HD just ask me which one you want me to upload.
I am down to 12 gbs of a TB HD so make it fast.

Todays show should be sent to the CEO of ESPN it was Epic!

Stand tall David Edwards you deserve it!

Kori Ellis
02-28-2008, 02:31 AM
Condolences to the family and kudos to Chris Duel's show for devoting time to David's life and memory. Whether you knew of David's story before today or not, you would have been touched and enlightened by the show.

Mavs08
02-28-2008, 02:44 AM
Condolences to the family and kudos to Chris Duel's show for devoting time to David's life and memory. Whether you knew of David's story before today or not, you would have been touched and enlightened by the show.

You did miss the show............ I looked froward to your call Kori as well as ST!

There must of been at least 10 Local sports casters/reporters call in and it's only a 120 minute show!

Kori Ellis
02-28-2008, 02:47 AM
You did miss the show............ I looked froward to your call Kori as well as ST!

There must of been at least 10 Local sports casters/reporters call in and it's only a 120 minute show!

I listened to over half the show, then we had to go somewhere.

USA Employee
02-28-2008, 03:28 AM
Thursday call in so will mouse...................

Tenacious D
02-28-2008, 03:44 AM
What I don't get is where is Greg More? Was this kid not black enough to be on your "Black" only website?

Agloco
03-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm going to sound like a dick here, but I'm really not meaning it that way............For those of you bitching about one station covering this more then the other, while listening to Duel talk about the death of a kid I'd never heard of, I stopped and thought to myself, I'd like to hear about sports now.......so I switched to Sirius.

This is a very sad day for the kid's family and friends, and I'm sure for many, many more folks...........but you are broadcasting to an entire city that may or may not know who this kid was, and for those people (which would include me), we got bored after the first 5 minutes.

You're absolutely right.

This is one of those times where silence on your part would have been golden. What purpose does posting about your boredom serve on a thread of this nature anyway?

Your five minutes doesn't compare to the finality of this event. You need a reality check in a bad way man. How often do events like these occur?

My heartfelt condolences to Davids family. Far too young to be taken yet.

RashoFan
03-01-2008, 11:34 PM
The name of this topic should be............David Edwards is walking tall!

Where he is at tonight he needs no chair! And I am sure they get AM radio up in the big GTG in the sky.

I am reminded of a caricature of Christopher Reeves the day he died. A wheelchair left behind as "Superman" flew off into the sky.

My condolences to the family and friends of David Edwards.

marini martini
03-01-2008, 11:40 PM
I liked how the Madison BB team dedicated their game tonight to David. They were behind by 10, then came back up to take the win. Would have loved to have seen the game!

The sone
03-03-2008, 12:48 AM
i was clocking out...about ten thirty...the tv was on...i saw the story and remembered the first time i had seen the story...deep.

i went home that day and wished i could have met him.

good journey young man...