PDA

View Full Version : With Bird in hand, upgraded Pacers eye Eastern title

KoriEllis
08-04-2003, 11:24 PM
For Pooh .... (note: they aren't eyeing an NBA title, just an Eastern one :lol )

With Bird in hand, upgraded Pacers eye Eastern title
Aug. 4, 2003
By Mike Kahn
SportsLine.com Executive Editor
www.sportsline.com/nba/story/6518978 (http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/6518978)

At the age of 62, Donnie Walsh had begun to wonder how many more weeks filled with 16-hour days he could handle.

Fortunately, Walsh hired a guy named Larry Bird to replace him as president of the Indiana Pacers to help shorten those days and nights, took on the new title of CEO and finally completed the three-team deal that had made time with his family and a good night's sleep rare commodities.

"It was as hot a time for me as I've ever had in 18 years of doing this," Walsh said. "I had never experienced what it was like to work 16 hours every day just to get a deal done. Talking to other teams, players, agents -- it was incredible.

"But you know what's just as incredible? Once we got the deal done, it's been dead quiet. Nothing. I haven't heard a peep from anybody, and that's a good thing."

Coming off a season with 48 victories and a third consecutive first-round knockout in the playoffs, some changes in the organization seemed inevitable despite a somewhat deceptively good final record. A strange succession of issues with players -- ranging from family deaths and accidents to injuries and suspensions -- transformed a magnificent 37-15 start of the season into an 11-19 conclusion.

So the first order of business was to hire Bird, who was surprisingly foiled in his attempt with Steve Belkin and M.L. Carr to purchase the Charlotte expansion team. The Hall of Fame forward has been out of the NBA since 2000 following three years as coach of the Pacers -- the third season leading to a six-game loss in the Finals to the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I offered him the position then, but for some reason, he wanted a break," Walsh said. "Obviously, he wanted back in the league, and I recommended him for another job. But he called me and said if he was going to run a basketball operation, he wanted it to be Indiana."

So it all came to pass on July 11, slightly more than three years after the native son of French Lick first left the franchise. In less than two weeks, Bird would learn first hand what madness the job can be; he moved Brad Miller to Sacramento to get the three-team deal rolling for Scot Pollard and Hedo Turkoglu, then traded Turkoglu and Ron Mercer to San Antonio for Danny Ferry, who will be released.

It provides the Pacers with not only a more natural inside player, with Pollard to play center next to Jermaine O'Neal, but a trade exception for $4 million, space under the luxury tax to re-sign Reggie Miller and an other free agent if necessary.

"I took a little sabbatical there for a while," Bird said. "Coaching the team that I had and doing the job that we did, I sort of wore down and didn't want any part of it. Now, I'm rejuvenated and ready to go to work."

Just in time to help Walsh get the trade completed, while learning the nuances of the trading world that he never had to deal with as a coach, or as a player during his 13 years with the Boston Celtics.

There was some question about Bird's relationship with his replacement as coach, Isiah Thomas. The two competed in a none-too-friendly fashion while Thomas carved out his own Hall of Fame career in Detroit. And there was plenty of talk about deposed Pistons coach Rick Carlisle -- a Bird assistant, former teammate and a top candidate to replace him -- bumping Thomas aside.

But Walsh insists that's premature, at least for now.

Jamaal Tinsley, the second-year starting point guard, had to deal with his mother's cancer and eventual death. Jermaine O'Neal's stepfather shot himself, Brad Miller had a debilitating foot injury, Reggie Miller never got over his preseason ankle injury, and, well, things never were right after the All-Star break.

And then there's Ron Artest, the brilliantly versatile forward who emerged as the team's best all-around player but fell into a horrid run of suspensions from the league over rough play and ludicrous temper tantrums. Add in the disappointing seasons for young forwards Al Harrington and Jonathon Bender and you know why the disenchantment is building.

"We went West, got our butts handed to us and then we just couldn't get back on track," Walsh said. "We seemed to be missing two starters every game for a while, and with a young team, if you lose your confidence and rhythm, it's not like a veteran team that can get back on track. We just couldn't get it back together again after that. With all the weird things that happened, I'm not about to lay that at Isiah's doorstep. That's not fair."

Dealing Miller wasn't easy. An Indiana native and Purdue grad, Walsh was into paying him somewhere in the $36 million bracket. He had offers of $44 million and $46 million over six years from the Denver Nuggets and Utah Jazz. But the Kings were willing to go the sign-and-trade route for seven years and $68 million.

"I had a number in mind for Brad, and let's just say that wasn't it," Walsh said. "There is a point where somebody is worth it for you and then not. Some teams need to make a splash to prove they're moving in the right direction (like Utah and Denver). He's a nice piece that could make the difference for Sacramento.

"We think Scot gives us a little more inside and his contract (three years remaining of a $30.7 million deal), gives us a lot more flexibility. Just as much as Jermaine made Brad a better player, we think he can do the same thing for Scot."

Nonetheless, the clock is ticking loudly on all of them. They got Bird back for a strong sentimental boost for Indianapolis and strong support for Walsh, who has been running the basketball operations of the Pacers since 1986 -- the longest continuous run in the NBA today. But this year is all about challenging for the Eastern Conference title.

While rebuilding with Thomas as coach after Bird left, they've won 41, 42 and 48 games -- the latter can be construed as progress or misleading based on the late-season collapse. But Walsh contends the pressure isn't so much on Thomas as on the entire Pacers organization.

Youth is no longer an excuse.

"We stayed in the hunt until the playoffs (when they were surprisingly manhandled by Boston)," Walsh said. "This is the year we have to take the next step. We all know that. It's time for all of us to be judged on how much progress the kids have made on this team."

Pooh
08-04-2003, 11:28 PM
Only the first step...get that board ready...they're coming Kori!

Bandit2981
08-04-2003, 11:35 PM
as long as new jersey doesnt make it for the 3rd time, i'll be happy...let kidd get what he deserves :elephant

Pooh
08-04-2003, 11:50 PM
Reggie is close to re-signing back up...so things are looking good.

pacersrule03
08-05-2003, 12:34 AM
eastern conference :gun pacers

pacers own the east!

scott
08-05-2003, 12:36 AM
Losing Brad Miller for Scot Pollard is an upgrade?

Um... okay.

Pooh
08-05-2003, 12:37 AM
Welcome Pacersrules03....the first of many, many to come!

West :gun

WriterNum934
08-05-2003, 12:43 AM
Pacers are as good as the John Jay Mustangs.

ChumpDumper
08-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Losing Brad Miller for Scot Pollard is an upgrade?Exactly. This team is WORSE now. It might get better if Bird fires Bob Hill--er, Isiah Thomas and takes the reigns again.

Pooh
08-05-2003, 05:53 PM
I don't think we've slipped that much. Becareful...I'm not the only Pacers fan on here now...more are coming, the first of many appeared last night.

ducks
08-05-2003, 05:56 PM
do not worry we can handle it :smokin2

Pooh
08-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Are you sure?

ducks
08-05-2003, 06:02 PM
have the pacers even gotten a point guard yet??????????????

or are they going to go with that tinsley fellow?

:wacko

ChumpDumper
08-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Yes.

:next3

Pooh
08-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Yes we're ready.

DuffMcCartney
08-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Ready to exit out in the first round again? Thats good....maybe Jermaine can watch the rest of the playoffs at home and know what he missed out by not coming to the Spurs.

Pooh
08-05-2003, 06:57 PM
We're a different team this time Duff, we'll make it past the first round and perhaps further...just imagine. :)

DuffMcCartney
08-05-2003, 07:05 PM
We're a different team this time Duff,

How? You downgraded your center position and you havent acquired anybody....you're right, you are different, for the worse. Not better....you won't make it out of the first round, I just think you'll get swept in the first round.

ChumpDumper
08-05-2003, 07:07 PM
We're a different team this time Explain to me how Pollard and AJ are going to be difference makers this year. If you say anything about Carl English or James Jones I'll laugh in your face.

Pooh
08-05-2003, 07:07 PM
Can't say that we "downgraded" until the season starts. The same can be said about the Spurs as well...they didn't get what they wanted so they had to settle for scraps. We'll see in late October, right now it's speculation.

ChumpDumper
08-05-2003, 07:17 PM
Nice dodge.

DuffMcCartney
08-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Unfortunately, we have boomerang action....so he won't see it coming when his team goes belly down and ass up in the first round....

Pooh
08-05-2003, 07:20 PM
A brilliant one...and an accurate one at that.

ChumpDumper
08-05-2003, 07:57 PM
It was more like this kind of Dodge:
http://www.drmopar.com/76aspnrt.jpg
If you don't want to answer the question, just admit it.

Pooh
08-06-2003, 02:02 AM
Now that Reggie is about to re-sign with the Pacers, I will answer the question.

Pollard is no B.Miller but then again, B.Miller is no Pollard either. Where as Miller played more minutes, Pollard didn't. Now he will get a chance to be a regular starter so we'll see how he performs. Especially that he'll now be playing with a TRUE all-star in Jermaine O'Neal instead of Vlade Divac and Chris Webber.

Right now the jury is still out on Pollard, but it was like that four years ago when the Pacers brought over an unknown from Portland in a trade, and that was Jermaine O'Neal...look how far he's come since then.

Who knows how will they will perform. We'll find out in October when they tip it all off for real. Right now it's a wait and see thing.