PDA

View Full Version : Duhon, Bulls may be done forever

ducks
02-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Duhon, Bulls may be done forever
By K.C. Johnson
Tribune reporter

February 26, 2008, 9:51 PM CST

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Bulls are 2˝ games out of the Eastern Conference playoff picture, making the final 26 games as much about next season as this one.

Chris Duhon is an unrestricted free agent at season's end.

Connect the dots as to why the fourth-year guard hasn't played a second in back-to-back games since Larry Hughes suited up, Duhon's first two "Did Not Play—Coach's Decision" designations this season.

"I understand if Chris is upset," interim coach Jim Boylan said. "I'd be upset too."

Duhon has been marginalized before, dropping from a surefire first-round pick after his junior season at Duke to a second-round pick. The Bulls themselves pegged Duhon for Europe before he ended up starting 73 games in his 2004-05 rookie season.

The scrappy guard always seems to worm his way back into the rotation, using his basketball smarts and decision-making skills to earn playing time.

This time, with $23 million invested in Hughes and Kirk Hinrich, not to mention Thabo Sefolosha's emergence and the need for Ben Gordon's scoring, the relegation feels more permanent.

"You have to know playing time is out of your control," a calm Duhon said after practice Tuesday.

"There are times teams want to go in another direction or have guys who they expect to play a lot next year. If my time does come again this season, that's great. If not, I can't let that affect the player I am.

"Right now I just have to be a good teammate and, whenever this season is over, see what my options are."

Any trade can be disruptive, affecting the rotation and team chemistry. How the Bulls handle this one will be intriguing to monitor given the questionable way some players have handled other off-the-court issues this season.

Luol Deng, who played with Duhon at Duke, isn't worried about his teammate.

"He's tough mentally," Deng said. "He has been through a lot. It's tough on him right now sitting down. But Chris is a fighter. If his name is called again, he'll be ready."

Duhon could contribute again this season and, either way, will land somewhere next. His ability to organize a team, play defense and act as a coach on the floor gives him value even during stretches when he's not shooting well.

"I've always considered myself a team player," Duhon said. "Whatever it takes for our team to be successful, that's what I do. I've always been able to adapt. That's why I think I've always been on winning teams.

"I'm not paranoid that I'm not going to be somewhere next year. I feel it's going to be a good summer for me. Whatever the next chapter is, I'll look at it with excitement and be ready to move forward."

remingtonbo2001
02-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Wouldn't mind trying to take a flyer out on him.

I've always thought he's been wasting away up in Chicago.

T Park
02-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Duhon when he got lots of PT when KH went down, played very very well.

I'd give him a shot.

Stoudamire more than likely retires at the end of the year, so why the hell not?

tav1
02-27-2008, 09:32 PM
If we go after a younger point, I'm for either Duhon or Juan Carlos Navarro. I know Navarro is a combo guy, but he'd fit in behind Parker.

AFBlue
02-27-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm still holding out hope for Vassilis Spanou....okay I can't finish that statement.

gospursgojas
02-27-2008, 09:46 PM
If we go after a younger point, I'm for either Duhon or Juan Carlos Navarro. I know Navarro is a combo guy, but he'd fit in behind Parker.

And with his last name, (and first and middle for that matter) he can do no wrong :lol

TDMVPDPOY
02-27-2008, 11:06 PM
i give him a 9m/3yr deal with final year a player option

or....throw a MLE at him if we are really desperate at the pg position

then again we can always call up players from the toros, cheap bastard guy

remingtonbo2001
02-27-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm still holding out hope for Vassilis Spanou....okay I can't finish that statement.

:lol Cue Kill Bill Pana in 3..2..1...

MI21
02-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Doesn't he have a little drinking problem?

Mister Sinister
02-28-2008, 01:35 AM
YOU FOOL! You'll DESTROY US AAAAAALL!