PDA

View Full Version : Universal health care, the economy, etc.

CosmicCowboy
02-27-2008, 10:25 PM
OK...I'm still posting this stuff because it's important and I get a sense that a lot of you seem to be disconected from the reality of what is really going on in our world.

Heres a post I made earlier today on another thread:

All I can say is that you youngsters jumping on the "Universal health care" bandwagon better be careful what you ask for because you might get it. You are going to have enough trouble paying for the current federal committments to social security, medicare, etc. over the next 30 years without adding new ones. Just like social security, the governments decision of whether you make "enough" to afford to pay for health care will be simple...Their position will be that if you work you will pay.

"Affordable" health care is an oxymoron. People are living longer. New expensive drugs for every conceivable malady come out every day. Your knee aches? Get a knee replacement. Hip hurts?...replace that too. People that would have died of heart attacks at 60 twenty years ago get quadruple bypasses and valve replacements. It's all EXPENSIVE.

Do you REALLY want an additional 10% taken out of your paycheck for "universal health care" so the guy bumming change at the Valero so he can slam another 40 could have a liver transplant?

Now lets talk about the economy

I just got off the phone a few minutes ago with a friend that is in the agriculture business. We all bitch about the price of fuel at the pump when we fill up our cars but he just reminded me of the trickle down theory...inflation is coming and it gonna come hard...a basic commodity like wheat that was $4 a bushel last year just hit $11 a bushel today...and thats just the start...red deisel (agricultural) just hit $3.10 a gallon and fertilizer has tripled in a year. Do you really think this won't hit you at HEB in a few months?

Do you guys really want to try to solve more social problems when you are having a hard time just keeping up with your own?

This is not a republican or democrat issue. This is a reality issue. We live in a world economy and energy is a huge commodity and will go to the highest bidder. It will affect every facet of our economy and there will be traumatic and life altering decisions to be made iin the next few months/years. The "American Dream" may have to be redefined. *sigh*

Holt's Cat
02-27-2008, 10:33 PM
If the magical and wondrous federal government can provide medical care for all, why stop there? People have to eat, after all. Better yet, how about universal internets access? Don't even have a PC? No problem. You'll have to wait 12 months and it'll be a 386 but it's free.

E20
02-27-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't have medical insurance and cannot afford to go to the Doc and my Mom ain't sure paying me. I haven't been to to doctor in YEARS. I have no clue about the actual universal health care plan and full details of Hilary's or Barack's, so I can't really say how it is or how much I would be paying for it.

Holt's Cat
02-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Well, it's a free 386 other than the 25% of your gross pay deducted every paycheck.

E20
02-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Well, it's a free 386 other than the 25% of your gross pay deducted every paycheck.
Well the free part is good, the 25% sucks for working people, I'm not working, but being a fulltime student counts as working I guess, but once I get a job, then it will be a pain the ass. 25% is high a little too high.

I use hella commas.

Holt's Cat
02-27-2008, 10:40 PM
So other than visits to the doc what else would you like Uncle Sam to provide for you?

meals
beer
weed

?

CosmicCowboy
02-27-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't have medical insurance and cannot afford to go to the Doc and my Mom ain't sure paying me. I haven't been to to doctor in YEARS. I have no clue about the actual universal health care plan and full details so I can't really say how it is or how much I would be paying for it.

OK...I DO know about health insurance. I'm probably the last employer in America that still picks up the tab 100% for my employees and their familys. I will continue to do so as long as I can possibly afford to because I simply think it's the right thing to do. I DO believe that health care is important and that my company/employees are a team/family and we need to care about each other.

My "family" cost for health insurance just hit $13,000 a year per family (I am in the process of renewing) and that is WITH a $3000 deductible.

Do some simple math and accept the fact that if you work for an employer that doesn't do what I do that they will not only be deducting the health care cost for YOUR family from YOUR paycheck but you will need to pay for the other two families down the street that either choose not to work or choose to work "undercover" for cash and dodge the system.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2008, 10:55 PM
All I can say is that you youngsters jumping on the "Universal health care" bandwagon better be careful what you ask for because you might get it. You are going to have enough trouble paying for the current federal committments to social security, medicare, etc. over the next 30 years without adding new ones. Just like social security, the governments decision of whether you make "enough" to afford to pay for health care will be simple...Their position will be that if you work you will pay.

I'm a youngster, and I think it's a horrible ass idea.

Really, the only people jumping on the bandwagon are the idiots who can't even balance a checkbook and are sitting out there with $20,000 in credit card debt already.

If we get universal health care, this country and its citizens will be bankrupt within my lifetime. Fuck the Democrats.

(and yes, Bush has done a horrible job running the country as well, but that doesn't mean I should line up to take it up the ass from one of the fascists running for the Democratic nomination).

Holt's Cat
02-27-2008, 10:58 PM
If only the left was so overwhelmingly pro-choice when it came to matters of enterprise...

T Park
02-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Pretty much big ditto to all of the above.

TDMVPDPOY
02-27-2008, 11:20 PM
also dont forget when you the value of the american dollar

when you look at what you can get from imports with the value of the dollar, the prices in that foreign country could also be increasing, and are either gettin lesser or of equal value in return compared to buyin in-house.

Look at petrol/barrol for instance to prices at the petrol pump, a barol is like around US$103 dollar now and i dunno how much you guys pay at the petrol pump, due to your depreciating dollar, as your dollar value continue to slide, expect to pay more at the pump since most of you oil come from imports anyway.

The more you pay at the pump due to increase prices, is only pushing up inflation

CosmicCowboy
02-27-2008, 11:39 PM
also dont forget when you the value of the american dollar

when you look at what you can get from imports with the value of the dollar, the prices in that foreign country could also be increasing, and are either gettin lesser or of equal value in return compared to buyin in-house.

Look at petrol/barrol for instance to prices at the petrol pump, a barol is like around US$103 dollar now and i dunno how much you guys pay at the petrol pump, due to your depreciating dollar, as your dollar value continue to slide, expect to pay more at the pump since most of you oil come from imports anyway.

The more you pay at the pump due to increase prices, is only pushing up inflation

Our "formal" inflation rate has only been suppressed by cheap imports that make up the base of our "basket" of the official inflation indicators. Also, China has intentionally undervalued their currency to make their goods "cheap" on the world economy.

This is good for our government because so many of our pledged governmment "already been voted on" benefits are benchmarked on the "official" inflation rate.

If you have a variable rate mortgage and have good credit I strongly encourage you to try to move into a fixed rate mortgage before the bottom falls out. It's gonna get ugly.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Our "formal" inflation rate has only been suppressed by cheap imports that make up the base of our "basket" of the official inflation indicators. Also, China has intentionally undervalued their currency to make their goods "cheap" on the world economy.

This is good for our government because so many of our pledged governmment "already been voted on" benefits are benchmarked on the "official" inflation rate.

If you have a variable rate mortgage and have good credit I strongly encourage you to try to move into a fixed rate mortgage before the bottom falls out. It's gonna get ugly.

Speaking of that, where do you think interest rates on mortgages are going? They've been going up the last couple of weeks. I'm looking at buying a home and got a good rate locked in (6.25%), seems like the rates keep going up each week.

Should I wait it out for a lower rate or take this and run?

CosmicCowboy
02-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Speaking of that, where do you think interest rates on mortgages are going? They've been going up the last couple of weeks. I'm looking at buying a home and got a good rate locked in (6.25%), seems like the rates keep going up each week.

Take it and run. You just hit the lotto.

TDMVPDPOY
02-28-2008, 12:42 AM

If i were you? dont buy now

you see alot of ppl are struggling to pay their mortgages now,

alot of ppl a defaulting on their homes,

it looks like there be a bargain out there due to this, but in hind site NO.

ONLY winners here? are banks and realtors.

wait till the recession is over, interest rate decreases and a huge supply of houses on the market.

E20
02-28-2008, 01:21 AM
OK...I DO know about health insurance. I'm probably the last employer in America that still picks up the tab 100% for my employees and their familys. I will continue to do so as long as I can possibly afford to because I simply think it's the right thing to do. I DO believe that health care is important and that my company/employees are a team/family and we need to care about each other.

My "family" cost for health insurance just hit $13,000 a year per family (I am in the process of renewing) and that is WITH a $3000 deductible.

Do some simple math and accept the fact that if you work for an employer that doesn't do what I do that they will not only be deducting the health care cost for YOUR family from YOUR paycheck but you will need to pay for the other two families down the street that either choose not to work or choose to work "undercover" for cash and dodge the system.
California taxes your income. I heard Texas does not, another reason for me to move down here/SA. Spurs and no income tax. If the universal health care proposal is passed it would be just cancelign the no income tax in Texas, so it would be just like CA, except I'm living next the ATT center.

Also, you seem like a nice guy, can you give me a job?

Nbadan
02-28-2008, 01:24 AM
:rolleyes

We've talked about this topic repeatedly in the political forum...where have you been Cosmic? Tell me, if you weren't covering the $1000+ per family per month in insurance costs would you increase your employees salary per month by a equal amount?

Nbadan
02-28-2008, 01:26 AM
The point is that some families pay an average of $600-$1000 per month for a basic PPO or HMO already...that's more than 25% gross for some families...

Nbadan
02-28-2008, 01:29 AM
...plus you still have to contribute to medicare and also pay local/city/state taxes to help pay for those knuckle-heads that feel that their 12-35k/year salaries are somehow a shield against ever getting into a serious accident or getting really sick....

Nbadan
02-28-2008, 01:34 AM
..and look out for that run-away bus heading straight for you...the millions of soon to be baby boomer retirees with little to no real savings, if bad health because of years of neglect, and relying mostly on Medicare/Medicade...

Nbadan
02-28-2008, 01:39 AM
Universal health coverage has to encompass a single payer system so that our health-care industry quits putting profits above preventive and emergency care...it's not a matter of breaking the system down, but keeping costs from continuing to spiral out of control and sinking millions of American families in the process

CosmicCowboy
02-28-2008, 01:55 AM
:rolleyes

We've talked about this topic repeatedly in the political forum...where have you been Cosmic? Tell me, if you weren't covering the $1000+ per family per month in insurance costs would you increase your employees salary per month by a equal amount?

Where have I been?

I've been doing and not posturing on the internet.

If you get the universal health care that you are apparently pimping for then I will re-crunch the numbers and try to do what is right for my employees but I am confident that by the time the same dollars are diluted by the "new" health care beauracracy that my employees will wish that that it hadn't ever happened.

Nbadan
02-28-2008, 02:01 AM
...blah, your just a go between in the big picture...it's your customers/clientèle that will pay for health-care just like always with their purchases...and guess what? the price of everything is going up, including gas, because Helicopter Bernake is running the printing press at full speed and deflating the value of the money in your pocket....but I digress..

CosmicCowboy
02-28-2008, 02:08 AM
LOL

Helicopter Bernake?

I assume thats a "political forum insider" joke.

you guys have fun playing in your sandbox.

Nbadan
02-28-2008, 02:11 AM
...maybe we'll find your head!

Sunshine
02-28-2008, 08:46 AM
:rolleyes boy....Spelling and Grammar buddy would have a FIELD DAY in this thread if he showed up.

Shelly
02-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Since my hubby makes his living getting paid by insurance companies, you can bet your sweet bippy he and I are against universal health care.

Also, if Obama raises the Medicaid cap, a lot of doctors aren't gonna accept it anymore. Medicaid pays crap as it is. My OBGYN doesn't accept it anymore.

Sunshine
02-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Since my hubby makes his living getting paid by insurance companies, you can bet your sweet bippy he and I are against universal health care.

Also, if Obama raises the Medicaid cap, a lot of doctors aren't gonna accept it anymore. Medicaid pays crap as it is. My OBGYN doesn't accept it anymore.

I was at the doctors office yesterday and a woman who (from what I overheard) is a foster mom was talking to the insurance coordinator about how raising the Medicaid cap would affect her and her husband.

peewee's lovechild
02-28-2008, 09:30 AM
I can see how all this makes sense since Canada, France, and Germany have bankrupted their governments in the same fashion.

Yeah, I don't know how countries like that compete in world economics. Their currency must be shit compared to America's currency.

Flea
02-28-2008, 09:35 AM
I don't want universal coverage I just want affordable premiums and I do think they can be affordable. We are self employed and insurance to cover my family of 6 is out of the roof.

peewee's lovechild
02-28-2008, 09:38 AM
I don't want universal coverage I just want affordable premiums and I do think they can be affordable. We are self employed and insurance to cover my family of 6 is out of the roof.

The government needs to come down on the price gouging that constantly occurs in the medical field.

spursfan09
02-28-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm in college full time and work part time. My job won't give me health insurance as a part timer. I have none. I'm not saying everyone should get free healthcare, just me. :lol But seriously a teenage women with a baby can be covered by something. She doesn't work just takes a care of a baby. And my money gets taken out for that, but yet I can't get coverage. And i work so hard. Not fair.

Flea
02-28-2008, 09:59 AM
The government needs to come down on the price gouging that constantly occurs in the medical field.

Last Fall my daughter broke her ankle and I had to take her to the ER. We don't have insurance and at the time I wasn't aware that she was covered through the STYSA soccer insurance. I paid the $350 ER visit which I thought was affordable. I got a bill from the ER doctor (around $200), the Xray dept(can't remember the cost) and then each visit to the orthopedic surgeon (thank god she didnt need surgery) was around $150. Every bill we recieved I felt was affordable for my family. Then I receievd another bill from the hospital for $1,200. I called them and asked them what it was for. She said to disregard it because I paid on time and that bill was for people who did not pay at the time of sevrice or people with insurance. This totally amazed me. If I had not had the $350 when I walked out of the ER, which many people don't, it would have quadrupled? Ok, let's punish you for not having money and charge you even more. What if I had needed a couple of months to pay the $350? As for the insurance I assume they charge that much to insurance companies in order to make sure they get some of it back.......???

Trainwreck2100
02-28-2008, 10:05 AM
My OBGYN doesn't accept it anymore.

Neither does mine

degenerate_gambler
02-28-2008, 10:09 AM
LOL

Helicopter Bernake?

I assume thats a "political forum insider" joke.

you guys have fun playing in your sandbox.

it's actually a sarcastic nickname of sorts for him after he testified on the Hill one time. It is a reference to one way the Fed can keep the economy moving...hovering overhead in a helicopter and dropping money directly into consumer's hands.

101A
02-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Well the free part is good, the 25% sucks for working people, I'm not working, but being a fulltime student counts as working I guess, but once I get a job, then it will be a pain the ass. 25% is high a little too high.

I use hella commas.25%?

People are clueless.

If Barrack gets his way and what he wants passed gets passed, which is:

1. Repeal the Bush Tax Cuts

2. Make the Social Security tax infinite (right now the deduction stops just under $100K of income)

THEN the top marginal rate, from just the Federal government, for a succesfull self-employed person, will be 56%!!! Then, if you live in a state with an income tax, you're looking at better than 60%!

RIGHT NOW, the lowest income tax bracket is 10% - add Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid @ 7.5%, and you are at 17.5% - THEN DON"T forget to add your employer's share of those two (another 7.5%) - and you are nearly at 25%. THAT'S THE LOWEST BRACKET!!!!!!

Barrack/Hillary and all the Dems want ALL OF THE BRACKETS RAISED, because they want to repeal the "Bush Tax Cuts". Those cuts REDUCED the rates to what I just listed.

THAT'S BEFORE they add Universal Coverage of Healthcare!!!!

The government sucks. Anybody who wants the government to fix something sucks more.

101A
02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Last Fall my daughter broke her ankle and I had to take her to the ER. We don't have insurance and at the time I wasn't aware that she was covered through the STYSA soccer insurance. I paid the $350 ER visit which I thought was affordable. I got a bill from the ER doctor (around $200), the Xray dept(can't remember the cost) and then each visit to the orthopedic surgeon (thank god she didnt need surgery) was around $150. Every bill we recieved I felt was affordable for my family. Then I receievd another bill from the hospital for $1,200. I called them and asked them what it was for. She said to disregard it because I paid on time and that bill was for people who did not pay at the time of sevrice or people with insurance. This totally amazed me. If I had not had the $350 when I walked out of the ER, which many people don't, it would have quadrupled? Ok, let's punish you for not having money and charge you even more. What if I had needed a couple of months to pay the $350? As for the insurance I assume they charge that much to insurance companies in order to make sure they get some of it back.......???No, the insurance company would have paid the $350 - and shown the difference as a "negotiated discount". They do this to demonstrate their worth to policyholders/decision makers at companies.

Never walk out of a hospital, if you are not insured, without negotiating the charges with the business manager. If they aren't available, call them on the next business day. Insurance companies get 60% discounts off of retail (what you got by paying on the spot). That's all, ultimately, the hospital is looking for. If you don't work something out, however, it will end up in collection; and those cats want every $$$ they can get.

101A
02-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I can see how all this makes sense since Canada, France, and Germany have bankrupted their governments in the same fashion.

Yeah, I don't know how countries like that compete in world economics. Their currency must be shit compared to America's currency.Tomato, tomata.

It doesn't matter how they do it, our government, obviously, CANNOT do it. In the 1960's, the Fed spent less than 5% of its budget on healthcare and SS combined. Now? 55%. At the same time, defense was 45% of the Federal Budget. Now (even while IN a two front shooting war?) 19%.

AND we're running MASSIVE deficits at that. How much tax burden is enough for you? At what point does it sink in that the US Federal Government CANNOT DO ANYTHING EFFICIENTLY?? How much evidence is required. How many underperforming, impossible to kill, ever growing entitlement programs do the candymen have to conjure up before that dim light in some of your heads goes off and you realize, "oh, crap, that new one is not going to work EITHER??!!!"

Thunder Dan
02-28-2008, 10:27 AM
you forget that us 'youngsters' will not get social security. We are the generation that will take care of our own retirement and not depend on the government to give us money. We pay into it, we SHOULD get it but we won't.

Also, if people think this country's economy is bad, wait till 2017 when the social security runs out and all the 35-somethings now that haven't set enough money aside try to retire. Holy fuck is that going to be bad.

So I am all for privatizing social security because I give over 2k a year to help pay for old people to live because they didn't save when they were younger. Thank 2k a year in my IRA would be a ton of money. But it's just wasted for ignorance.

101A
02-28-2008, 10:35 AM
you forget that us 'youngsters' will not get social security. We are the generation that will take care of our own retirement and not depend on the government to give us money. We pay into it, we SHOULD get it but we won't.

Also, if people think this country's economy is bad, wait till 2017 when the social security runs out and all the 35-somethings now that haven't set enough money aside try to retire. Holy fuck is that going to be bad.

So I am all for privatizing social security because I give over 2k a year to help pay for old people to live because they didn't save when they were younger. Thank 2k a year in my IRA would be a ton of money. But it's just wasted for ignorance.I'm nearly 40, but I'm not expecting to see a dime of Social Security. Where do you get 35 something retiring in 9 year, btw. What math have YOU taken. I'm looking at 2040. 2017 is when the baby-boomer hit in mass, however, and you are correct, they are going to break us ALL.

Don't worry, I'm putting enough away for me and mine. My fear is that the govt. is going to come after the 401K accounts of us responsible people, however. They WON'T be able to tax incomes ENOUGH, so they will take from the stockpile the rest of us have accumulated - they, frankly, are going to have to. That's why you should do like I've done; put some overseas where the U.S. govt. can't touch it.

Thunder Dan
02-28-2008, 10:35 AM
also, Higher taxes are not a bad thing if they are not wasted. If our government uses tax hikes to pay off our giant deficit and that only, then they are with out a doubt a great thing. We are up in debt to our eyeballs and it's just like personal debt, sooner or later taking on too much will drown you.

Does anyone find it funny that we are each getting $600 (which was borrowed from China), but we can't afford to rebuild our own country when disaster strikes (New Orleans) we have to go to China and Saudi Arabia to help fund that. People just think that money doesn't matter.

Our national debt grows at $1,000,000 a minute. Our national debt grows at $1,000,000 a minute! think about that. And the people that shop at Wal Mart, drive foreign cars, and everything else are the ones fucking us. In order to even attempt to pay that back we need to increase our national GDP, and let me tell you something, shopping at Wal Mart or buying a car from a Japanese company is not helping.

So yeah higher taxes can actually be good.

Thunder Dan
02-28-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm nearly 40, but I'm not expecting to see a dime of Social Security. Where do you get 35 something retiring in 9 year, btw. What math have YOU taken. I'm looking at 2040. 2017 is when the baby-boomer hit in mass, however, and you are correct, they are going to break us ALL.

the people 35 right now, if they continue to not save for themselves and expect social security, they will be screwed because they are the generation directly behind the baby boomers that will wipe out social security for everyone.

peewee's lovechild
02-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Tomato, tomata.

It doesn't matter how they do it, our government, obviously, CANNOT do it. In the 1960's, the Fed spent less than 5% of its budget on healthcare and SS combined. Now? 55%. At the same time, defense was 45% of the Federal Budget. Now (even while IN a two front shooting war?) 19%.

AND we're running MASSIVE deficits at that. How much tax burden is enough for you? At what point does it sink in that the US Federal Government CANNOT DO ANYTHING EFFICIENTLY?? How much evidence is required. How many underperforming, impossible to kill, ever growing entitlement programs do the candymen have to conjure up before that dim light in some of your heads goes off and you realize, "oh, crap, that new one is not going to work EITHER??!!!"

Let's start a revolution.

I'll buy a rifle this weekend if people are up for it.

peewee's lovechild
02-28-2008, 10:42 AM
No, the insurance company would have paid the $350 - and shown the difference as a "negotiated discount". They do this to demonstrate their worth to policyholders/decision makers at companies.

Never walk out of a hospital, if you are not insured, without negotiating the charges with the business manager. If they aren't available, call them on the next business day. Insurance companies get 60% discounts off of retail (what you got by paying on the spot). That's all, ultimately, the hospital is looking for. If you don't work something out, however, it will end up in collection; and those cats want every $$$ they can get.

The fact that it can be negotiated shows how hospitals fuck over most people.

Thunder Dan
02-28-2008, 10:47 AM
the biggest issue for this election should be our national debt and the economy, not universal health care. The reason nobody seems concerned about the National Debt is because nothing will happen because of it under their watch so why talk about it. It's like going out and using your credit card everyday for 10 years and you stay in good terms by making the minimum payment, but sooner or later you can't make the minimum payment.

What is going to happen when China needs their money, when Saudi Arabia decides to collect? Whats going to happen when the American dollar is worth 1/15 of what it is now? Did you know China can cripple our economy within minutes if they wanted to? They own more of our money in reserves than we can even imagine as individuals.

This is the big issue. They say 'economy' because that is something you can see and feel, but nobody, nobody is going to want the debt collectors coming under their watch.

101A
02-28-2008, 10:49 AM
also, Higher taxes are not a bad thing if they are not wasted. If our government uses tax hikes to pay off our giant deficit and that only, then they are with out a doubt a great thing. We are up in debt to our eyeballs and it's just like personal debt, sooner or later taking on too much will drown you.

Does anyone find it funny that we are each getting $600 (which was borrowed from China), but we can't afford to rebuild our own country when disaster strikes (New Orleans) we have to go to China and Saudi Arabia to help fund that. People just think that money doesn't matter.

Our national debt grows at $1,000,000 a minute. Our national debt grows at $1,000,000 a minute! think about that. And the people that shop at Wal Mart, drive foreign cars, and everything else are the ones fucking us. In order to even attempt to pay that back we need to increase our national GDP, and let me tell you something, shopping at Wal Mart or buying a car from a Japanese company is not helping.

So yeah higher taxes can actually be good.My "Japanese" car was built in California. There are many Toyotas being built by your friends and neighbors in SA. My "American" car? Mexico.

Wal Mart sells crap.

Taxes don't need to go up; The Federal government alone ALREADY spends over 20% of GDP. The government needs to spend less. It needs to DO less.

101A
02-28-2008, 10:52 AM
the biggest issue for this election should be our national debt and the economy, not universal health care. The reason nobody seems concerned about the National Debt is because nothing will happen because of it under their watch so why talk about it. It's like going out and using your credit card everyday for 10 years and you stay in good terms by making the minimum payment, but sooner or later you can't make the minimum payment.

What is going to happen when China needs their money, when Saudi Arabia decides to collect? Whats going to happen when the American dollar is worth 1/15 of what it is now? Did you know China can cripple our economy within minutes if they wanted to? They own more of our money in reserves than we can even imagine as individuals.

This is the big issue. They say 'economy' because that is something you can see and feel, but nobody, nobody is going to want the debt collectors coming under their watch.It's reasonably true.

Servicing the interest on the debt = 19% of the federal budget (nearly as much as defense spending!) And people say the Iraq war is the big problem. Never mind the man behind the curtain.

Peewee, fuck rifles, I'm getting an island.

Thunder Dan
02-28-2008, 11:00 AM
My "Japanese" car was built in California. There are many Toyotas being built by your friends and neighbors in SA. My "American" car? Mexico.

Wal Mart sells crap.

Taxes don't need to go up; The Federal government alone ALREADY spends over 20% of GDP. The government needs to spend less. It needs to DO less.

Japanese car companies pay their taxes in Japan. American companies pay theirs in the US. Sure Toyota can hire 1,500 employees to put together a car in California, and yes those employees pay US taxes, but GM employs thousands more US works AND pays their taxes as an American company. Foreign car companies put their cars together here also because they don't have to pay certain tarriffs when they do so.

So:
If I'm Toyota, I can build a car in Alabama, skip paying some tariffs (which screws the US), trick people into actually thinking Toyota is a American company (which they are dumb to think so), AND take all my profits back to Japan.....hell sounds like a good deal to me.

If I'm GM, I can build a car in Canada or Mexico (which I have to do because Toyota's should be higher prices, but they get around the tariffs), I sell a car in the states, and pay my taxes in the states.

If I want to sell a 20k car in Japan...guess what they will do, tariff the fuck out of it and now all of a sudden my 20k car is 35k and people won't buy it.

The Japanese have it the way it should be, but our government likes to give tax credits to companies that assemble things in the US

101A
02-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Japanese car companies pay their taxes in Japan. American companies pay theirs in the US. Sure Toyota can hire 1,500 employees to put together a car in California, and yes those employees pay US taxes, but GM employs thousands more US works AND pays their taxes as an American company. Foreign car companies put their cars together here also because they don't have to pay certain tarriffs when they do so.

So:
If I'm Toyota, I can build a car in Alabama, skip paying some tariffs (which screws the US), trick people into actually thinking Toyota is a American company (which they are dumb to think so), AND take all my profits back to Japan.....hell sounds like a good deal to me.

If I'm GM, I can build a car in Canada or Mexico (which I have to do because Toyota's should be higher prices, but they get around the tariffs), I sell a car in the states, and pay my taxes in the states.

If I want to sell a 20k car in Japan...guess what they will do, tariff the fuck out of it and now all of a sudden my 20k car is 35k and people won't buy it.

The Japanese have it the way it should be, but our government likes to give tax credits to companies that assemble things in the USSo because our government is dumb, I should limit my choices of automobile? EVERYBODY looks out for number 1; the system needs to be aware of, and take advantage of, that fact.

peewee's lovechild
02-28-2008, 11:16 AM
My "Japanese" car was built in California. There are many Toyotas being built by your friends and neighbors in SA. My "American" car? Mexico.

It's all fine and dandy to have cars built here, and sure it creates jobs, but the wealth doesn't stay here in the States. It's stays in Japan, and that's where the problem is.

Thunder Dan
02-28-2008, 11:22 AM
So because our government is dumb, I should limit my choices of automobile? EVERYBODY looks out for number 1; the system needs to be aware of, and take advantage of, that fact.

well Toyota lobbied back in the early 80's to push towards stricter EPA standards because they knew that would cripple the US auto industry- which fueled dozens of other industries. We have seen what that has done to our economy in the north. Now, when it come time to buy a car, people will go buy a car from someone that paid our own representatives to pass laws to ultimately fuck us.

You are right, people will look out for themselves, but that's not saying it is right. I don't think it's right that Nissan and Toyota lobbied in the early 80s spending over $100 million dollars that ended up in pockets of lawmakers to pass laws that favored foreign automakers and hurt US automakers. That is bullshit, and buying foreign products when you have a choice is siding with that.

But it's not just cars. It's everything. Cars is the easy one because it is so obvious and the US auto industry fuels the steel industry, the rubber industry, banking, everything..

xrayzebra
02-28-2008, 11:26 AM

One other thing to look at. Payoff, look at the monthly
payments at the 15, 20, 25 year payoff period. You may
be surprised at the small increase in payments you make.
You may even be able to negotiate a lower interest rate
with a shorter pay off period.

xrayzebra
02-28-2008, 11:30 AM

The friggin government is the one who cause the price
gouging with the constant interfering with prices.

Government gets involved, duck.

Shelly
02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Quote:

Originally Posted by peewee's lovechild

The doctor can bill 2000 for an office visit if he wants. But if the insurance company will only pay $50 for said visit, the doc will only get paid the $50. He can't bill the patient for difference. I'm pretty sure the difference gets paid when the deductible is involved.

I'm not sure with private insurances, but with Medicare, if my husband does surgery, he cannot bill for 90 days post-op regardless how many times he's seen the patient.

The whole insurance industry needs an overhaul, but Universal Healthcare isn't the answer.

TDMVPDPOY
02-28-2008, 11:56 AM
htf are you guys going to decrease NFD when ur dollar keeps on depreciating and china keeps on buyin your bonds :( dont you owe them like 1trillion? PWNED?

TDMVPDPOY
02-28-2008, 11:58 AM
The doctor can bill 2000 for an office visit if he wants. But if the insurance company will only pay $50 for said visit, the doc will only get paid the $50. He can't bill the patient for difference. I'm pretty sure the difference gets paid when the deductible is involved.

I'm not sure with private insurances, but with Medicare, if my husband does surgery, he cannot bill for 90 days post-op regardless how many times he's seen the patient.

The whole insurance industry needs an overhaul, but Universal Healthcare isn't the answer.

places that do bulk billing/medicare/aid, you get them receipts and goto the local office of medicare, they should reimbursed you the difference....the govt is tryin to decrease funding medicare, cause some ppl exploit the system

clambake
02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
htf are you guys going to decrease NFD when ur dollar keeps on depreciating and china keeps on buyin your bonds :( dont you owe them like 1trillion? PWNED?
being china's bitch is trendy.

Shelly
02-28-2008, 12:03 PM
places that do bulk billing/medicare/aid, you get them receipts and goto the local office of medicare, they should reimbursed you the difference....the govt is tryin to decrease funding medicare, cause some ppl exploit the system

What? Reimburse who?

DarkReign
02-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Let's start a revolution.

I'll buy a rifle this weekend if people are up for it.

Sarcastic or not, you realize that statement is a federal crime, and if found to have any "plans" to that point, you'd be executed.

The more you know.

101A
02-28-2008, 01:35 PM
The doctor can bill 2000 for an office visit if he wants. But if the insurance company will only pay $50 for said visit, the doc will only get paid the $50. He can't bill the patient for difference. I'm pretty sure the difference gets paid when the deductible is involved.It's not because of it being paid by the insurance; it's because your husband is a "preferred provider" of that carrier. They have a contractual arrangement with him for what he can charge. If a patient sees him that has an insurance plan your husband does not have a contract with; you can balance bill all you want (and you ought to get paid). Deductible doesn't matter; the patient gets the benefit of the negotiated discount, even if they have not yet met their deductible.

I'm not sure with private insurances, but with Medicare, if my husband does surgery, he cannot bill for 90 days post-op regardless how many times he's seen the patient.It depends on the procedure. Post-op charges are included with the original surgery charges. Open heart, for instance, will have a longer window than appendectomy.

The country needs to have a serious discussion about the way we access and pay for healthcare. Universal healthcare coverage is something a modern, civilized society ought to have, but the government paying for it isn't the answer.Fixed.

Shelly
02-28-2008, 01:45 PM
It's not because of it being paid by the insurance; it's because your husband is a "preferred provider" of that carrier. They have a contractual arrangement with him for what he can charge. If a patient sees him that has an insurance plan your husband does not have a contract with; you can balance bill all you want (and you ought to get paid). Deductible doesn't matter; the patient gets the benefit of the negotiated discount, even if they have not yet met their deductible.

It depends on the procedure. Post-op charges are included with the original surgery charges. Open heart, for instance, will have a longer window than appendectomy.

Fixed.

Yes, that is true. My point was that because he has an agreement with the insurance companies, he can't 'price gouge'. I think the only insurance he doesn't take is Aetna because they aren't accepting new providers. But then again, he has very few Aetna patients.

For him, Medicare is 90 days.

peewee's lovechild
02-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Sarcastic or not, you realize that statement is a federal crime, and if found to have any "plans" to that point, you'd be executed.

The more you know.

So, yea, I want to take up arms against our government.

This shit needs to end.

Das Texan
02-28-2008, 02:12 PM
If i were you? dont buy now

you see alot of ppl are struggling to pay their mortgages now,

alot of ppl a defaulting on their homes,

it looks like there be a bargain out there due to this, but in hind site NO.

ONLY winners here? are banks and realtors.

wait till the recession is over, interest rate decreases and a huge supply of houses on the market.

realtors aint winnning dick right now. Banks are taking huge losses on mortgages.

It may change, but thats not the case right now.

The real winners will be saavy investment oriented people that have the funding to pick up foreclosed houses and then be able to flip them, making nice profits along the way.

LakerMagic
02-28-2008, 02:12 PM

This shit needs to end.

You are the worst kind of American......actually you are not deserving of being called an American.

BacktoBasics
02-28-2008, 02:15 PM
As far as I'm concerned the system is too far shot for any small improvement to make any difference at all. Hell even 10 or 20 small improvements would do nothing significantly to help anyone. I was forced a long time ago to decide whether I was going to continue to try and be a good American citizen and work within the rules or am I going to stretch the outer limits of the law to give myself and my family an edge. I chose the edge simply because no matter what happens and no matter who's in office and no matter whats fair or just or right the do gooders get the shaft in the end. Poor people get help, rich people get help, skin color gets help, non americans get help from food to tuition to fucking everything. The people that suffer the most are the people that work the hardest in middle to slightly upper middle class. They get the least.

So here's what I did....

I specifically did not get married but file jointly claiming her and I's kids. Perfectly legal since I support all of them and reside under one roof. About a 3k return advantage. Along with not legally being married and unemployeed my wife can collect health insurance for my son I would otherwise not have and about 300 dollars in food stamps a month plus WIC or whatever you people call it. I cheat the system because the system fails in nearly every capacity know to man.

My Wife wanted to go back to work to help out financially. She specifically found work cleaning that paid cash only so she can continue to collect the benefits for being unemployeed. Along with avoiding taxes.

I have no advantages because I'm white and earn an income exceeding 50k a year. I work for a good employeer who pays well with zero benefits just like so many other people out there. I lose a good 25% of my income like everyone else. Everyone justifies more and more expense each day. I refuse to continue to work within the lines because the lines are a fucking new fail at every turn and simply make no sense whatsoever. You can either play with the loser or do what you need to do to survive in the short life we're given.

The American way is how can I do for me instead of how can I do for each other. I learned that a long time ago and its a painful realization but its true. I'm not going to short change my family by hiding behind god or doing whats right any longer I don't believe you can survive and enjoy the benefits of your hard work playing by the rules. I would however absolutely revisit my motives if the system were to be overhauled. I do what I feel is fair whether you people like it or not because if opportunity arises you'd fucking me sideways for the advantage.

phyzik
02-28-2008, 02:15 PM
name me one country where government healthcare is SUCCESSFUL. Not just there, but successful. You cant, it doesnt exists.

It doesnt work.

peewee's lovechild
02-28-2008, 02:20 PM
You are the worst kind of American......actually you are not deserving of being called an American.

Tell that to Thomas Jefferson who said that we should have a revolution every 20 years or so to keep the government from becoming too powerful.

He was a horrible American.

He didn't deserve to be called an American.

Holt's Cat
02-28-2008, 02:20 PM
I have no advantages because I'm white

You didn't receive the special white card at birth? :wtf

Das Texan
02-28-2008, 02:23 PM
well Toyota lobbied back in the early 80's to push towards stricter EPA standards because they knew that would cripple the US auto industry- which fueled dozens of other industries. We have seen what that has done to our economy in the north. Now, when it come time to buy a car, people will go buy a car from someone that paid our own representatives to pass laws to ultimately fuck us.

You are right, people will look out for themselves, but that's not saying it is right. I don't think it's right that Nissan and Toyota lobbied in the early 80s spending over $100 million dollars that ended up in pockets of lawmakers to pass laws that favored foreign automakers and hurt US automakers. That is bullshit, and buying foreign products when you have a choice is siding with that.

But it's not just cars. It's everything. Cars is the easy one because it is so obvious and the US auto industry fuels the steel industry, the rubber industry, banking, everything..

Detroit fucked themselves on that one by buying numerous patents for better fuel efficency and then dumping them in some warehouse somewhere.

Don't think Detroit didnt lobby the US Government for less strict standards when it came to MPG. They did and along with Big Oil they were very successful for years.

Its just because the people themselves are demanding better fuel economy that its coming back to fuck them, and the Government has no choice but to listen to the people or else they wont continue to get their own fat paychecks.

So dont go about trying to absolve Detroit of their sins. They played the same game and they are coming up losers now.

Das Texan
02-28-2008, 02:26 PM

its a writeoff. my understanding is that doctors and hospitals charge so high, knowing they wont get it all back to write it off a portion of it on their taxes.

or so i have heard.

101A
02-28-2008, 02:37 PM
its a writeoff. my understanding is that doctors and hospitals charge so high, knowing they wont get it all back to write it off a portion of it on their taxes.

or so i have heard.
No.

Thunder Dan
02-28-2008, 02:39 PM

This shit needs to end.

Our government is complete bullshit. I don't want to fight them physically but it is bullshit. They make more money from lobbyists than they do from their actual salary, that is the most concerning thing. It's all a bunch of rich people scratching eachothers' backs. The terms are only 2-4 years, so it's no sweat off their balls if something goes terrible 15 years down the road for something they did. The most concerning thing is foreign lobbyists and how is is completely legal for political figures to take money from BOTH foreign and domestic lobbyists. I need one person to tell me how that benefits anyone.....you can't there is no reason. It will never change because one congress man can pass anything on his own- and plus, if he came in thinking to change it, it would basically be taking huge paycuts for himself.

For anyone that is still with me: I used the example of foreign car makers in a earlier post, but let me tell you what happened and you tell me if you think it is the best for our country.

In the early 80's Japanese automakers like Nissan and Toyota (not European companies) spent hundreds of millions of dollars to convince the US government that the government needed to impose stricter EPA standards (yes you are reading this right, the people of Japan wanted the USA to change over night and the US agreed) Now, you might be thinking 'well better EPA standards are good', which is not completely false; HOWEVER the reasons why those automakers wanted us to change overnight is not because of our own wellbeing- they could give a shit about that. The reason they spent hundreds of millions was because they were already making cars that met those requirements, and they knew the US automakers couldn't convert quickly enough to keep their market share. On top of that, those foreign companies were given tax credits for meeting those standards, and the US automakers were charged more because they were unable to meet the guidelines right away.

So basically the motto of this story is, who gives a crap about our own well being. Japanese companies basically came in to America, paid enough to change our laws to help their own business, and now they are reaping the rewards. How can this happen? How is it fully legal for a Representative to take upwards of $1,000,000 from a foreign company? Those reps didn't care about the economy in 2008, they just did enough so things wouldn't crumble under their own watch, and took the money and ran.

There is our biggest problem. That is why our government is bullshit. It's the same for Hillary getting bought off of her Health Care idea a couple years ago.

Detroit fucked themselves on that one by buying numerous patents for better fuel efficency and then dumping them in some warehouse somewhere.

Don't think Detroit didnt lobby the US Government for less strict standards when it came to MPG. They did and along with Big Oil they were very successful for years.

Its just because the people themselves are demanding better fuel economy that its coming back to fuck them, and the Government has no choice but to listen to the people or else they wont continue to get their own fat paychecks.

So dont go about trying to absolve Detroit of their sins. They played the same game and they are coming up losers now.

I'm not saying Detroit is completely innocent because they have made some complete bonehead moves, however, it should be noted that Japanese automakers do not play by the same rules as US automakers, which is very unfair. If anything the tax advantage should be for US companies and not visevera. There is a book on this and it is very eye opening in the same way The Wall Mart Effect is.

But I do agree, Detroit never thought people would demand fuel economy

101A
02-28-2008, 02:39 PM
As far as I'm concerned the system is too far shot for any small improvement to make any difference at all. Hell even 10 or 20 small improvements would do nothing significantly to help anyone. I was forced a long time ago to decide whether I was going to continue to try and be a good American citizen and work within the rules or am I going to stretch the outer limits of the law to give myself and my family an edge. I chose the edge simply because no matter what happens and no matter who's in office and no matter whats fair or just or right the do gooders get the shaft in the end. Poor people get help, rich people get help, skin color gets help, non americans get help from food to tuition to fucking everything. The people that suffer the most are the people that work the hardest in middle to slightly upper middle class. They get the least.

So here's what I did....

I specifically did not get married but file jointly claiming her and I's kids. Perfectly legal since I support all of them and reside under one roof. About a 3k return advantage. Along with not legally being married and unemployeed my wife can collect health insurance for my son I would otherwise not have and about 300 dollars in food stamps a month plus WIC or whatever you people call it. I cheat the system because the system fails in nearly every capacity know to man.

My Wife wanted to go back to work to help out financially. She specifically found work cleaning that paid cash only so she can continue to collect the benefits for being unemployeed. Along with avoiding taxes.

I have no advantages because I'm white and earn an income exceeding 50k a year. I work for a good employeer who pays well with zero benefits just like so many other people out there. I lose a good 25% of my income like everyone else. Everyone justifies more and more expense each day. I refuse to continue to work within the lines because the lines are a fucking new fail at every turn and simply make no sense whatsoever. You can either play with the loser or do what you need to do to survive in the short life we're given.

The American way is how can I do for me instead of how can I do for each other. I learned that a long time ago and its a painful realization but its true. I'm not going to short change my family by hiding behind god or doing whats right any longer I don't believe you can survive and enjoy the benefits of your hard work playing by the rules. I would however absolutely revisit my motives if the system were to be overhauled. I do what I feel is fair whether you people like it or not because if opportunity arises you'd fucking me sideways for the advantage."You get what you pay for."

Is a truism.

Our government pays for these things (behaviors), so that is what we get. You want to add another government program? WHATEVER that program is designed to end - there will be MORE of that.

Shelly
02-28-2008, 02:46 PM

or so i have heard.

Oh, hell to the no!

Our financials report income we receive only, plus we get 1099s from the insurance companies.

BacktoBasics
02-28-2008, 02:50 PM
You want to add another government program? To answer your question no because it'll just be another fucked up way of doing something. Its like the kid that would rather spend 4 hours getting out of a 30 minute job.

I would however like some health insurance. I have a swollen testicle three maybe four times the size of normal. I went to a regular check up and by regular I mean 190 dollars only to be reference to two more doctors who visitation bills would have neared 300 and 350 a piece. I stopped it right there. I didn't feel sick I haven't lost any weight so until I feel the cancer I'll do nothing because doing something would easily avalanche into half a years pay.

I learned that when I had a hernia that I could no longer tolerate and it ran about 23k to have taken care of in its entirety. Fucking up nearly 3 years of my life to pay for it. Hence the lack of conscience when it comes to cheating the system.

Das Texan
02-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Oh, hell to the no!

Our financials report income we receive only, plus we get 1099s from the insurance companies.

*shurgs*

guess i should just go kill whoever informed me wrong.

:lol

Das Texan
02-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm not saying Detroit is completely innocent because they have made some complete bonehead moves, however, it should be noted that Japanese automakers do not play by the same rules as US automakers, which is very unfair. If anything the tax advantage should be for US companies and not visevera. There is a book on this and it is very eye opening in the same way The Wall Mart Effect is.

But I do agree, Detroit never thought people would demand fuel economy

But you were talking about the lobbyists foreign automakers have had in Washington. YOu were making it seem like Detroit was innocent and didnt have their own more numerous lobbyists, backed also by Big Oil doing the same thing which they got away with for years.

EPA standards arent even close to what they should be. The lobbyists Detroit had paid even more to get what they wanted and thats why they were successful for so long. The Japanese companies only really took command in this country in the 70s during the fuel crisis and even more so now, because again of fuel issues.

That and Japanese cars have been proven to be more reliable than their American counterparts.

Basically, Detroit played the wrong hand in the long run.

Detroit fucked up and if Detroit had paid attention to these things 20 years ago, they wouldnt be in the horrible situtation they are in now.

And we arent just talking about fuel economy.

CosmicCowboy
02-28-2008, 03:25 PM
To answer your question no because it'll just be another fucked up way of doing something. Its like the kid that would rather spend 4 hours getting out of a 30 minute job.

I would however like some health insurance. I have a swollen testicle three maybe four times the size of normal. I went to a regular check up and by regular I mean 190 dollars only to be reference to two more doctors who visitation bills would have neared 300 and 350 a piece. I stopped it right there. I didn't feel sick I haven't lost any weight so until I feel the cancer I'll do nothing because doing something would easily avalanche into half a years pay.

I learned that when I had a hernia that I could no longer tolerate and it ran about 23k to have taken care of in its entirety. Fucking up nearly 3 years of my life to pay for it. Hence the lack of conscience when it comes to cheating the system.

I can fix that little problem for you for a lot less than that. I have a VERY sharp pocket knife and it can't be much different than cuttin a hog. Slap a little purple wound spray on it and you will be done.

BacktoBasics
02-28-2008, 03:27 PM
I can fix that little problem for you for a lot less than that. I have a VERY sharp pocket knife and it can't be much different than cuttin a hog. Slap a little purple wound spray on it and you will be done.A red lolli seals the deal. I'm not getting into to shit with no red lolli.

Shelly
02-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I can fix that little problem for you for a lot less than that. I have a VERY sharp pocket knife and it can't be much different than cuttin a hog. Slap a little purple wound spray on it and you will be done.

I keep telling my husband he could give himself 'the snip', but he ain't buying it! :lol

CosmicCowboy
02-28-2008, 08:39 PM
I keep telling my husband he could give himself 'the snip', but he ain't buying it! :lol

Damn

Talk about a thread killer LOL 5 hours dead.

OK...I'm sure we can work something out on hubby...you hold him down and I'll cut him LOL

TDMVPDPOY
02-28-2008, 08:46 PM
What? Reimburse who?

Ppl who are low income that dont have private health cover, and are force to see a doctor and get billed, they get a it back from medicare...thats how it works in australia

TDMVPDPOY
02-28-2008, 08:52 PM
realtors aint winnning dick right now. Banks are taking huge losses on mortgages.

The real winners will be saavy investment oriented people that have the funding to pick up foreclosed houses and then be able to flip them, making nice profits along the way.

In australia, the property market is still booming, alot of families are defaulting on there mortgages due to interest rates and inflation rising forcing the govt to put up rates to ease economic activity.

Alot of ppl are trying to reserve themselves the australian dream, buying at the wrong time imo even during a boom in property prices. Banks dont give a shit if you are defaulting by 3-4 months on your payments, they force you out while the housing prices is still high and sell your house

TDMVPDPOY
02-28-2008, 08:55 PM
name me one country where government healthcare is SUCCESSFUL. Not just there, but successful. You cant, it doesnt exists.

It doesnt work.

singapore?

alot of them asian countries dont have the necessities, or infrastructure/resources, but if you have money, you jump the waiting list for surgeries :D:D:D

Shelly
02-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Ppl who are low income that dont have private health cover, and are force to see a doctor and get billed, they get a it back from medicare...thats how it works in australia

This isn't Australia...

Medicare is a Health Insurance Program for people age 65 or older, some disabled people under age 65, and people of all ages with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure treated with dialysis or a transplant).

Medicaid is available only to certain low-income individuals and families who fit into an eligibility group that is recognized by federal and state law. Medicaid does not pay money to you; instead, it sends payments directly to your health care providers. Depending on your state's rules, you may also be asked to pay a small part of the cost (co-payment) for some medical services. ("Medicaid At-A-Glance 2005" may be downloaded from the bottom of the page.)

Medicaid is a state administered program and each state sets its own guidelines regarding eligibility and services. Read more about your state Medicaid program. (See Related Links inside CMS at the bottom of the page.)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Why do you think the cost of fertilizer is going through the roof? It's made from oil. So is are herbicides/pesticides and a million other things we rely on every day.

Do you know how much oil the world has left in the ground? About 40 years given known reserves according to the International Energy Agency. Know how much we use every DAY? 85,000,000 barrels and climbing.

Peak oil is a reality, the time of cheap oil is past, and the world isn't even starting to adjust to this.

Forget climate change (the biggest natural threat humanity has ever seen), depletion of oil is the most serious threat facing modern civilisation... but no-one wants to know.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-29-2008, 12:50 AM

It doesnt work.

Define successful.

I'd define successful as providing healthcare to millions who otherwise would not have it. Under that definition, Australia's public health system is successful, and so is Canada's, the UK's, etc.

Having said that, public health care in a nation of 320 million people is a different matter.

The question I'd be asking of your government is why they allow the pharmaceutical companies to gouge the shit out of them. Why can you buy the same drugs anywhere else in the world at a fraction of the price the US govt pays??? Institutional corruption.

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 12:55 AM
:rolleyes boy....Spelling and Grammar buddy would have a FIELD DAY in this thread if he showed up.

There is a lack of any real substance too, but that probably escaped you...

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 12:56 AM

Your hubby makes enough so that you can post on a board all day...and a lot of the things you post aren't cheap....

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 12:58 AM

Yeah, I don't know how countries like that compete in world economics. Their currency must be shit compared to America's currency.

Actually, these countries are doing fine....in fact, many countries with universal health care run yearly cash surpluses....and their currency? Let's just say I would switch my currency to Euros in a heart-beat....

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 01:02 AM
it's actually a sarcastic nickname of sorts for him after he testified on the Hill one time. It is a reference to one way the Fed can keep the economy moving...hovering overhead in a helicopter and dropping money directly into consumer's hands.

...kudos for you...

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 01:05 AM

Flip them to who, or rather, to whom? (feel better sunshine?)

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 01:07 AM
the people 35 right now, if they continue to not save for themselves and expect social security, they will be screwed because they are the generation directly behind the baby boomers that will wipe out social security for everyone.

Learn about the system...if those US promissory notes in our Social Security trust fund aren't honored were all screwed anyway.....

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 01:12 AM
I specifically did not get married but file jointly claiming her and I's kids. Perfectly legal since I support all of them and reside under one roof. About a 3k return advantage. Along with not legally being married and unemployed my wife can collect health insurance for my son I would otherwise not have and about 300 dollars in food stamps a month plus WIC or whatever you people call it. I cheat the system because the system fails in nearly every capacity know to man.

You have no honor and no room to complain about others who are 'gaming the system'...marry your wife....

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 01:14 AM
Tell that to Thomas Jefferson who said that we should have a revolution every 20 years or so to keep the government from becoming too powerful.

He was a horrible American.

He didn't deserve to be called an American.

Your forgetting that 911 changed all that....now, free speech is subversive speech...everyone has a file...and everyone must have their 'papers' in order...

...Thomas Jefferson would be sent to Gitmo....

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Alot of ppl are trying to reserve themselves the australian dream, buying at the wrong time imo even during a boom in property prices. Banks dont give a shit if you are defaulting by 3-4 months on your payments, they force you out while the housing prices is still high and sell your house

That's the name of the game...Realtors, brokers, mortgage companies, investment companies, all walk away with bundles of cash....and it's the home-owner who gets raked over the coals and the taxpayers who are left with trillion dollar buy-outs of mortgage lenders...

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Our government is complete bullshit. I don't want to fight them physically but it is bullshit. They make more money from lobbyists than they do from their actual salary, that is the most concerning thing. It's all a bunch of rich people scratching eachothers' backs. The terms are only 2-4 years, so it's no sweat off their balls if something goes terrible 15 years down the road for something they did. The most concerning thing is foreign lobbyists and how is is completely legal for political figures to take money from BOTH foreign and domestic lobbyists. I need one person to tell me how that benefits anyone.....you can't there is no reason. It will never change because one congress man can pass anything on his own- and plus, if he came in thinking to change it, it would basically be taking huge paycuts for himself.

When did taking money from foreign lobbyist become legal? However, I agree that politicians on the Hill serve the people who got them there - lobbyists....

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 01:27 AM
So basically the motto of this story is, who gives a crap about our own well being. Japanese companies basically came in to America, paid enough to change our laws to help their own business, and now they are reaping the rewards. How can this happen? How is it fully legal for a Representative to take upwards of $1,000,000 from a foreign company? Those reps didn't care about the economy in 2008, they just did enough so things wouldn't crumble under their own watch, and took the money and ran.

I'm not sure what your agenda against Japanese companies is, but because they had the smarts to build in non-union states like Texas doesn't mean that they are gaming the system....in the 70-80's the Japanese government spent billions of dollars for R and D to build the technology to manufacture those fine automobiles...all while the U.S. was protecting them for free...

sabar
02-29-2008, 01:27 AM
There are two problems with our government.

The government is too large
Thomas Jefferson said that the best kind of government is a small one and ours is too large. Niether of the two dominant political parties are for a smaller government, only various third parties (libertarian comes to mind). With a large government comes large amounts of market failure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_failure).

Bureaucracies have causes our government to become grossly inefficient. Hundreds of millions of dollars that are spent on a project are allocated to paperwork, employees, and so forth of that bureacracy. A good example is the Department of Education. Go look up the heirarcy of a bereaucracy some time. Thousands of positions and fancy names for various things. The American taxpayer can put $100 million into the Department of Education but the vast majority isn't on the kids, it's on paperwork.

Central planning or command and control (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_planning) is inefficient. There is a reason that nearly every nation on the planet has a mixed economy and none are purely socialist. Because it is inefficient.

Government failure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_failure)
The other reason we are in the situation we are in. Lobbying and special interests have sold the welfare of the people for the good of the corporation. Things that the country used to stand for (free market competition) is pushed aside in favor of government subsidies and regulation. Log rolling and pork barrel spending are huge inefficient allocations of taxpayer money.

Why do people want universal healthcare? The government has proven to be inept at handling everything. The private sector handles education, power, water, and just about anything more effectively than government. If we allow the state to control health care, then why not food? Food is arguably much more important to life than healthcare. You can live without surgery (at least for some time), you cannot without food. How about free shelter? Free shelter would at least make people settle down and find jobs that they otherwise wouldn't At least it would boost the economy.

Anyone who has studied basic economics knows why the government is how it is. The United States is NOT central planned, yet people keep adding more departments, wanting more things. Why not just make it completely socialist and betray what we stand for more?

And for those saying that overthrowing the government is not American, perhaps you want to go over the Declaration of Independence again?

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Why do you think the cost of fertilizer is going through the roof? It's made from oil. So is are herbicides/pesticides and a million other things we rely on every day.

Do you know how much oil the world has left in the ground? About 40 years given known reserves according to the International Energy Agency. Know how much we use every DAY? 85,000,000 barrels and climbing.

Peak oil is a reality, the time of cheap oil is past, and the world isn't even starting to adjust to this.

Forget climate change (the biggest natural threat humanity has ever seen), depletion of oil is the most serious threat facing modern civilisation... but no-one wants to know.

There are trillions of barrels of shale oil still in the ground....enough for hundreds of years....the real problem is we are heating up the earth burning all these fossil fuels...an incubator would be a good example...and whenever climate change happens so abruptly...look out...I don't think we fully understand the consequences....but we will...

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Bureaucracies have causes our government to become grossly inefficient. Hundreds of millions of dollars that are spent on a project are allocated to paperwork, employees, and so forth of that bureaucracy. A good example is the Department of Education. Go look up the hierarchy of a bureaucracy some time. Thousands of positions and fancy names for various things. The American taxpayer can put $100 million into the Department of Education but the vast majority isn't on the kids, it's on paperwork.

I've spent a year (thus far) researching some of the problems in education...I now know more about TEKS, and TAKS, than any individual human should have a right to know...What do you know?

There is a bureaucratic nightmare at the Federal level, but guess what? All these people who just sit back and screaming about 'a lack of accountability' or 'why our kids aren't learning' are the biggest part of the problem.....they are the reason why this bureaucratic nightmare exists...

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Anyone who has studied basic economics knows why the government is how it is. The United States is NOT central planned, yet people keep adding more departments, wanting more things. Why not just make it completely socialist and betray what we stand for more?

Keep studying your economics...somewhere along the line you must have stopped or you would know that the U.S. consistently ranks among the least socialist countries in the world...

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 01:47 AM

It doesnt work.

What about the 32 other countries that consistently rank better in health care that the U.S......as Carlos would say....teetiteeeee....

Shelly
02-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Your hubby makes enough so that you can post on a board all day...and a lot of the things you post aren't cheap....

Um...I happen to work too, I just work from home.

But thank you for keeping track of my lifestyle.

MannyIsGod
02-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Um...I happen to work too, I just work from home.

But thank you for keeping track of my lifestyle.He's Bitter, He's NBA Dan.

Should hook him and Ploto up imo.

Flea
02-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Define successful.

The question I'd be asking of your government is why they allow the pharmaceutical companies to gouge the shit out of them. Why can you buy the same drugs anywhere else in the world at a fraction of the price the US govt pays??? Institutional corruption.

I don't understand that either Ruff. i am about to order advair and allegra from an online Canadian pharmacy. A 3 months supply of Allegra D costs $70 compared to a one month supply in the US costing almost the same amount. A one month supply of Advair cost $145 here in the US and $70 in Canada.

Shelly
02-29-2008, 09:00 AM
He's Bitter, He's NBA Dan.

Should hook him and Ploto up imo.

I simply MUST fire my housekeeper! She missed a spot while cleaning my tin foil hat. It's made out of Reynolds and not that HEB brand. Only the best for me and my gal pals that live in mansions here in the Dominion!

Flea--that sucks. Is that what you're paying with insurance? My insurance company originally denied paying for my son's Nexium, but I fought them and now they do...still $50 a pop though. It's crazy.

Flea
02-29-2008, 09:09 AM

Flea--that sucks. Is that what you're paying with insurance? My insurance company originally denied paying for my son's Nexium, but I fought them and now they do...still $50 a pop though. It's crazy.

We don't have insurance at the moment and if we did it probably would not cover prescriptions, unless we chose to go without groceries.

BacktoBasics
02-29-2008, 09:13 AM
You have no honor and no room to complain about others who are 'gaming the system'...marry your wife....Such typical bullshit I've grown to expect from you. You know whats honorable is the fact that I forgo the things that matter to me or my wife such as marriage because I want to give my family every single opportunity or advantage no matter if it affects me or not. What an unbelievably stupid and ignorant statement to make. Always so incapable of looking at whats really there in lieu of some idiotic idiology you think you should have about me. Honor??? No room to complain??? Absolutely I can complain...I have to scrap my wants and values to gain even the slightest advantage for my family, I'll complain as loudly as I want as long as I have to sacrifice my so called honor for the betterment of my family. Way to understand the whole picture asshole.

Shelly
02-29-2008, 09:17 AM
We don't have insurance at the moment and if we did it probably would not cover prescriptions, unless we chose to go without groceries.

That stinks...

Have you tried Humana? My husband is on my insurance, but we have Humana for his employee as they were the only that would cover one person. Her preimium isn't too pricey...however, I'm not sure if her kids are her policy or not. I can find out more info for you if you like.

peewee's lovechild
02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Your forgetting that 911 changed all that....now, free speech is subversive speech...everyone has a file...and everyone must have their 'papers' in order...

...Thomas Jefferson would be sent to Gitmo....

Then the America we once knew is dead and we should force out the pretenders in power now.

CosmicCowboy
02-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Such typical bullshit I've grown to expect from you. You know whats honorable is the fact that I forgo the things that matter to me or my wife such as marriage because I want to give my family every single opportunity or advantage no matter if it affects me or not. What an unbelievably stupid and ignorant statement to make. Always so incapable of looking at whats really there in lieu of some idiotic idiology you think you should have about me. Honor??? No room to complain??? Absolutely I can complain...I have to scrap my wants and values to gain even the slightest advantage for my family, I'll complain as loudly as I want as long as I have to sacrifice my so called honor for the betterment of my family. Way to understand the whole picture asshole.

let me get this straight.

You make 50K a year.

You won't marry your significant other so you can game the system and also collect welfare and get your lonestar card.

You come in here and whine that you have been "forced" by the system to "sacrifice your honor".

Would it surprise you if I said that I am having a hard time feeling sorry for you?

Flea
02-29-2008, 11:15 AM
That stinks...

Have you tried Humana? My husband is on my insurance, but we have Humana for his employee as they were the only that would cover one person. Her preimium isn't too pricey...however, I'm not sure if her kids are her policy or not. I can find out more info for you if you like.

That would be great Shelly! You have my e-mail right? With my husband being self-employed I could deduct everything possible and probably qualify the kids for medicaid but it just doesnt seem right. Like I said, I don't mind paying for insurance but everything I have looked at is over $500 and with a huge deductible. I don't mind a big deductible but I don't want to pay over $6k a year on insurance AND pay for everything else as well.

Shelly
02-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Flea--I will find out for you. I know he had a hard time finding someone to insure just one person and Humana was one of the few that did. I still have your email.

CosmicCowboy
02-29-2008, 11:35 AM
flea, I just renewed my small group insurance with Humana POS (they call it "point of service" and we affectionately call it"piece of shit") and got pricing at several levels of deductible. At $1500 deductible individual coverage was $334.85 a month and family coverage was $1071.51 a month. At $3000 deductible it dropped a little to $286.48 for individuals and $916.56 for family. You might get a better rate because of your age and Humana tends to come in low the first year and then hammers you on renewal.

101A
02-29-2008, 11:42 AM
That would be great Shelly! You have my e-mail right? With my husband being self-employed I could deduct everything possible and probably qualify the kids for medicaid but it just doesnt seem right. Like I said, I don't mind paying for insurance but everything I have looked at is over $500 and with a huge deductible. I don't mind a big deductible but I don't want to pay over $6k a year on insurance AND pay for everything else as well.What makes insurance expensive isn't the "everything" you are referring to. Cancer, Diabetes, Organ Transplants, etc... are why your premium of, even with a high deductibe, is $500. But if you look at the potential risk, and cost associated with that risk X the number of people in your family, you can see why the premium is as high as it is. Comparable to your homeowners insurance, probably - and THAT only pays in case of catastrophe, right? Also, you don't expect your car insurance to pay for oil-changes and door dings.

There have been GREAT advances in healthcare over the past 20 years; we can keep people alive and healthy that had no business being so just a couple of decades ago. Those advancements, unfortunately, have a big price tag.

101A
02-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Also, if you look at individual, as opposed to group, insurance policies (if you are healthy, at least), you will usually find less expensive premiums. The group market is more heavily regulated - and cannot select for health, and usually can't impose restrictions for pre-existing conditions. The individual policies can; which is bad if you are sick, but makes the coverage less expensive if you and your family are healthy.

BacktoBasics
02-29-2008, 12:01 PM

You make 50K a year.

You won't marry your significant other so you can game the system and also collect welfare and get your lonestar card.

You come in here and whine that you have been "forced" by the system to "sacrifice your honor".

Would it surprise you if I said that I am having a hard time feeling sorry for you?No it wouldn't suprise me. Just because I have a solid income doesn't mean I should be less fortunate than some hack fat slob who's to lazy to work. Do you see how fucking much milk costs? Over 4 bucks but if you decide to not work or wanna fake an injury its free. We'll make provisions, give money, hand out free education, protect the wealthy all at my middle class expense. So if my hard work is only going to pay off for someone else and my honor is only going to cost me more then its pretty plain and simple to conclude the system is fucked.

Its like taking advantage of an employee who works hard and complains less, you give that guy more work because its the path of least resistance. I'm that path for America. I show up everyday, never call in sick and work my ass off so the less fortunate can get an education, get milk and cheese and live in free or discounted housing because for some reason they're too lazy to figure it out for themselves.

Even though there is no law that says I have to hand over 25% or so of my pay I'm forced to do it, even though its unconstitutional to give it up I have to or I go to jail. I'm forced to pay for the retirement of others who are fully capable of working but chose not to because they can sit at home and collect a fixed income, a fixed income that I'll never see. So now I have to give up some of my "honor" to gain an edge in life. I don't expect most to understand that but I'm selling my family short of finance and opportunity if I don't cheat back the system for what should already be constitutionally mine. I'm mearly attempting to break it even if that. As if 50k really goes that far these days what with the cost of simple auto and home insurance not to mention a total lack of affordable healthcare. Outrageous gas and pretty much every single basic living expense at our disposal.

BacktoBasics
02-29-2008, 12:23 PM

You make 50K a year.

Would it surprise you if I said that I am having a hard time feeling sorry for you?I wasn't really trying to whine either sorry if it sounded that way. Just trying to lay out my train of thought.

CosmicCowboy
02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
I wasn't really trying to whine either sorry if it sounded that way. Just trying to lay out my train of thought.

Phillosophically we agree that a lot of things are fucked up. Government is too big. Government is too expensive. Politicians will continue to pander to every possible voter spectrum to buy votes with our money by promising what THEY will do for that voter.

Government will continue to fuck working people because thats where the money is that they dsperately need to pay for all the new programs they want. Thats just the way it is. Here are some great quotes on democracy.

Democracy means government by the uneducated" G. K. Chesterton

"Democracy is election by the incompetent many" |George Bernard Shaw

"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." oscar Wilde

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." Winston Churchill

"In a democracy the poor will have more power than the rich, because there are more of them"

"A democracy is a government in the hands of men of low birth, no property, and vulgar employment" Aristotle

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." Thomas Jefferson

"Democracy is nothing more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner" James Bovard

"Democracy is the road to socialism." Karl Marx

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

"Democracy encourages the majority to decide things about which the majority is ignorant." John Simon

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until a majority of voters discover that they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury." Alexander Tytler

DarkReign
02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
"A democracy is a government in the hands of men of low birth, no property, and vulgar employment" Aristotle

To be clear, the word "vulgar" as used in Aristotle's time is a different meaning than we use today.

Vulgar, in those times, literally meant "common".

101A
02-29-2008, 02:03 PM
To be clear, the word "vulgar" as used in Aristotle's time is a different meaning than we use today.

Vulgar, in those times, literally meant "common".Tomato....Tomata

spurster
02-29-2008, 02:41 PM
I would go for a universal health-care system with very-well controlled costs; otherwise, faster-than inflation health costs will bankrupt us. This would never happen, but I would like to see:

1. All medical costs made public. No special rates for insurance, etc. When you make an appointment or have any treatment, you are provided the costs in advance on a single statement rather than these crazy insurance statements from 5 different actors after the fact.

2. Public medical information and forums on the effectiveness of all doctors and hospitals. 1 and 2 would mean consumers would actually have the information to make choices. Yes, there would be a lot of crap out there, but we are managing for every other product out there.

3. High deductibles. Insurance shouldn't be paying for the small stuff. By high, I am thinking 10% of your income. If you had to bear the full cost, with 1 and 2 above, consumers would run to some combination of low cost and high effectiveness. You want whatever stupid drugs they are trying to sell through misleading ads on TV, and you can convince your doctor, then you can pay for it. Maybe then you might want it less.

4. Single-payer system for the high-cost stuff, but only for the specific treatments approved for specified medical problems. Doctors and patients who want to do high-cost experimental stuff should obtain grants. Yes, part of the system should be grants to do some of this for when the guidelines don't fit, but the treatment does for a particular patient.

5. I would definitely pick out the best from other countries' health care systems. Why not use what works?

Holt's Cat
02-29-2008, 03:18 PM
The federal government gave us this mess and the solution is to give the feds even greater control over the health care industry?

Pass.

Nbadan
02-29-2008, 04:05 PM
We are the Federal Government....we keep electing our Reps so that they get more powerful committee appointments = bringing home the bacon to their respective districts....when was the last time you voted for someone who turned down a ear-mark that would bring jobs to the district because it wouldn't be the financial prudent thing to do?

Holt's Cat
02-29-2008, 04:59 PM
We are the Federal Government....we keep electing our Reps so that they get more powerful committee appointments = bringing home the bacon to their respective districts....when was the last time you voted for someone who turned down a ear-mark that would bring jobs to the district because it wouldn't be the financial prudent thing to do?

I vote Libertarian so last election.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-29-2008, 08:31 PM
There are trillions of barrels of shale oil still in the ground....enough for hundreds of years....the real problem is we are heating up the earth burning all these fossil fuels...an incubator would be a good example...and whenever climate change happens so abruptly...look out...I don't think we fully understand the consequences....but we will...

Dude, you know I know what a concern climate change is - hell, I spent about a year trying to explain all the science behind it to the head-in-the-sand brigade in the polical forum before I got too frustrated and gave up - I just didn't want to make this into a climate change slanging match with the ignorant.

As for shale oil, every barrel takes 10x the energy to extract when compared to conventional oil, and causes far more damage to soil and groundwater - it is a truly damaging process.

Also, extracting the stuff is not something you can start doing overnight - building the infrastructure takes 10+ years, and you'd have to do it on a massive scale to replace the diminishing returns most of the world's oilfields will soon be experiencing.

Peak oil will fuel hyper-inflation and devastate the world economy unless the entire world makes a real effort to reduce oil consumption. Right now, consumption is constrained only by supply, otherwise the world would be chewing through the oil at an even greater rate. How foolish we are.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-29-2008, 08:36 PM
What is with the price of health care in the US???

I pay about $13 a week, or $52/month for basic private health care coverage. What do singles over there pay? I've heard from others that they pay well over $100 a month. Why is it so ridiculously expensive compared with other countries?

A visit to the doctor here costs about $50, and you get $30 back from the government. When I went to the doc in SA, it was $110, and he got the freakin diagnosis wrong anyway (forgot to mention cedar fever, the idiot).

CosmicCowboy
02-29-2008, 09:18 PM
What is with the price of health care in the US???

I pay about $13 a week, or $52/month for basic private health care coverage. What do singles over there pay? I've heard from others that they pay well over $100 a month. Why is it so ridiculously expensive compared with other countries?

A visit to the doctor here costs about $50, and you get $30 back from the government. When I went to the doc in SA, it was $110, and he got the freakin diagnosis wrong anyway (forgot to mention cedar fever, the idiot).

What is the Australia position on liability insurance for doctors?

What is their educational criteria to be a doctor?

This is the good old USA. If "shit happens", and it happens a lot with health care because you wouldn't be seeing a doctor if something wasn't already fucked up... SOMEONE is gonna pay big bucks. Thats why a third of our phone book is lawyers.

Clandestino
02-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Actually, these countries are doing fine....in fact, many countries with universal health care run yearly cash surpluses....and their currency? Let's just say I would switch my currency to Euros in a heart-beat....

I paid 47% in Germany. Fuck that! If I make the money I don't want to pay for some loser like you who screws around on the internet all day.

TDMVPDPOY
02-29-2008, 09:29 PM

This is the good old USA. If "shit happens", and it happens a lot with health care because you wouldn't be seeing a doctor if something wasn't already fucked up... SOMEONE is gonna pay big bucks. Thats why a third of our phone book is lawyers.

Educational criteria to be a doctor is the same as in america anyway, 6yrs ed/co-op, and the intake for applicants for doctor courses is hard to get into and very limited positions at unis.

Liability on insurance is capped, expecially for public liability and its starting to change also for doctors and ppl who work in the public sector, due to increase court cases and insurance cover for public practitioners.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-29-2008, 09:32 PM

We have the same liability insurance problem you do - my GP nearly quit because his insurance premiums were something ridiculous like 30K/yr. Apparently, obstetricians get it the worst.

As for the educational criteria, they are at least as strict. You have to be in the top 0.2% of students in year 12 just to get into a medical college, then they do a 4 year degree and another 3 years in a hospital (followed by another 3-5 years if they want to specialise).

Clandestino
02-29-2008, 09:38 PM
I forgot to mention the VAT tax they have in Germany too. I think it is 15-16% on everything they buy...plus income taxes.... they better have "FREE" healthcare with taxes like that. you couldn't afford to buy it if you wanted to.

TDMVPDPOY
02-29-2008, 09:39 PM
We have the same liability insurance problem you do - my GP nearly quit because his insurance premiums were something ridiculous like 30K/yr. Apparently, obstetricians get it the worst.

As for the educational criteria, they are at least as strict. You have to be in the top 0.2% of students in year 12 just to get into a medical college, then they do a 4 year degree and another 3 years in a hospital (followed by another 3-5 years if they want to specialise).

Another problem is the intake per year from universities....they limit it, when the govt has been tryin to push the unis to increase intakes, due to the shortages of skilled workers practicing or bolting overseas.

30k insurance is tax deductible, dont forget you can always rort the system if your a private practition, bulk billing medicare with fake transactions and remittance of GST hahahhahahaha

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-29-2008, 09:42 PM
I paid 47% in Germany. Fuck that! If I make the money I don't want to pay for some loser like you who screws around on the internet all day.

47% of what? I call BS. Your marginal tax rate may have been 47%, but that doesn't mean you paid 47% of your income as tax. Actually, I just looked it up and Germany has a very uncomplicated income tax system:

0-7,664Eur - 0
7,665-52,152 - 15%
52,152-250,000 - 42%

So, if you earn 100,000Eur you'll pay (6,673+20,096), or about 27% tax in total. So you were talking shit.

On top of that there is a 5.5% "solidarity tax" ( :lol ) apparently levied since re-unification and no doubt devoted to projects in the East.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Another problem is the intake per year from universities....they limit it, when the govt has been tryin to push the unis to increase intakes, due to the shortages of skilled workers practicing or bolting overseas.

30k insurance is tax deductible, dont forget you can always rort the system if your a private practition, bulk billing medicare with fake transactions and remittance of GST hahahhahahaha

Actually, the number of doctor places has doubled in the last 3 years.

Clandestino
02-29-2008, 10:02 PM
47% of what? I call BS. Your marginal tax rate may have been 47%, but that doesn't mean you paid 47% of your income as tax. Actually, I just looked it up and Germany has a very uncomplicated income tax system:

0-7,664Eur - 0
7,665-52,152 - 15%
52,152-250,000 - 42%

So, if you earn 100,000Eur you'll pay (6,673+20,096), or about 27% tax in total. So you were talking shit.

On top of that there is a 5.5% "solidarity tax" ( :lol ) apparently levied since re-unification and no doubt devoted to projects in the East.

i was there in 1995-2002. Check the rates at the that time.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-01-2008, 12:08 AM
i was there in 1995-2002. Check the rates at the that time.

No, how about you do your own research.

You missed the point anyway - every income tax scale I've ever seen has been a sliding scale so as not to be regressive. Your marginal tax rate DOES NOT EQUAL the total proportion of your income that goes to tax. Saying that you paid "47% of your income" when your marginal tax rate is 47% is incorrect and misleading.

TDMVPDPOY
03-01-2008, 12:31 AM
What you need now is good fiscal policy relating to tax and funding, good economic management...

You know what sector wants to get paid or increase funding, then another sector wants its fair share of funding also, the state/fed budget is not enough when it comes to distribution to different sectors that need it most...

corruption :D:D

peewee's lovechild
03-01-2008, 10:11 AM
As for shale oil, every barrel takes 10x the energy to extract when compared to conventional oil, and causes far more damage to soil and groundwater - it is a truly damaging process.

Also, extracting the stuff is not something you can start doing overnight - building the infrastructure takes 10+ years, and you'd have to do it on a massive scale to replace the diminishing returns most of the world's oilfields will soon be experiencing.

I don't know much about shale oil, or the extraction of it, but I do know that Canada has a huge resovior of shale oil. I'd rather give my money to them than some dumbass towel heads that are hell bent on destroying the West to please Allah.

peewee's lovechild
03-01-2008, 10:15 AM
I see Ruff has done his homework.

I'm kinda impressed.

I would be real impressed if he wasn't an Ozzie.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Actually, I know stuff because I READ. I have also been studying sustainability for a few years now - it is the greatest challenge ever to face human civilisation after all.

As for "I would be real impressed if he wasn't an Ozzie", is that because we downunder are widely regaled for our superior intellect? :lmao

CosmicCowboy
03-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Don't be talkin shit about the Aussies. I was on the team that won the US NCAA's in rugby in '74 and we played the Australian Select team (blacks?) in an exhibition in the states and they not only kicked our ass they showed us what SERIOUS beer drinking was in the traditional party after the game.

Clandestino
03-01-2008, 10:54 PM
No, how about you do your own research.

You missed the point anyway - every income tax scale I've ever seen has been a sliding scale so as not to be regressive. Your marginal tax rate DOES NOT EQUAL the total proportion of your income that goes to tax. Saying that you paid "47% of your income" when your marginal tax rate is 47% is incorrect and misleading.

so, if my effective tax rate came out to 27%, but then you add in the 5.5% solidarity surcharge...AND you add in the VAT tax of 15-16%...

that is OVER 47%... lot of fucking money to pay any way you slice it!

Sportcamper
03-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I am so happy that Hillary took Texas & that she has those super delgates… :elephant Barack would never be able to get Universal Health care going…At least we now have a chance….