PDA

View Full Version : Celtics sign PJ Brown

sprrs
02-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Celtics sign PJ Brown (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/02/28/brown_in_town_to_lend_depth/?page=full)

Brown in town to lend depth
Free agent adds to the frontcourt
Email|Print| Text size – + By Marc J. Spears
Globe Staff / February 28, 2008

After P.J. Brown got double-teamed by the Celtics during All-Star Weekend, it was hard for him to turn down an opportunity to make a title run in Boston.
more stories like this

Brown, 38, was signed by the Celtics yesterday for the prorated $1.2 million veteran minimum for the remainder of the season. The forward/center, who is in his 15th season, is expected to practice today, but it's uncertain when he will make his Celtics debut.

Brown, who was also courted by the Hornets, said his decision to come to Boston was strongly aided by a conversation he had with Paul Pierce and Ray Allen in New Orleans Feb. 16.

"They just pulled me over and said, 'Man, we'd really love to have you on the team,' " said Brown before last night's game against the Cavaliers. " 'With your experience, we think you can help our young guys and add some stability to our team. As a player, we still think you can play. Your defense and rebounding fits in with what we're trying to do.'

"That made a huge difference in this whole deal. If that doesn't happen, you probably don't see me here today."

The 6-foot-11-inch, 239-pounder last played for the Bulls last season, averaging 6.1 points and 4.8 rebounds in 20.2 minutes per game. For his career, spent with New Jersey, Miami, Charlotte/New Orleans, and Chicago, he is averaging 9.7 points, 7.8 rebounds, and 1.5 assists. Brown, a three-time All-Defensive second-team selection, will wear No. 93, the year he was drafted into the NBA and was married to his wife, Dee.

The Celtics will teach Brown their offense and defense at practice today. Coach Doc Rivers didn't think it would be difficult for Brown to grasp because of his experience and the fact he played under Miami coach Pat Riley, whose offense is similar to Boston's.

"He's a professional," said Ben Wallace of the Cavaliers, who played with Brown in Chicago. "He's a veteran who's going to come in and do his work. He knows the game. He does a lot of talking when he's on the floor, and that's going to help the younger guys out.

"We didn't start winning until we put him back in the lineup [last season]. He definitely still can play."

Making a legitimate run at the title attracted Brown to the Celtics.

"I'm just trying to make a dream come true," he said. "I feel like there is only one thing missing from my career. Boston has been coming after me pretty much the whole time. They kept the door open and they are trying to win a championship. Obviously, this team has a great chance to do that. There are rare moments and opportunities that come in this league where you have a chance to ultimately be a champion. I think this team gives me that chance."

The addition of Brown gives the Celtics frontcourt depth. Scot Pollard has been limited by a left ankle sprain, and Kevin Garnett (abdominal strain) and Kendrick Perkins (shoulder) have also missed time.

Brown said he is in good shape, but not NBA shape. Rivers wasn't certain how he would use Brown.

"We'll wait. There is no rush. We have a lot of time. We'll see," Rivers said. "Honestly, since he is not in uniform [against Cleveland], I haven't given it a whole lot of thought. He'll pay his dividends for us at one time or another."

Said Allen: "We feel like he can make us better and we can put him in some great situations."

Space available
With Brown, the Celtics will have 14 players on their roster, with one spot available. They are hoping to fill the opening with a point guard. Candidates include free agents Brent Barry and Flip Murray, and the Clippers' Sam Cassell, if he is bought out of his contract before Saturday's deadline to become eligible to play in the postseason for another team.

An NBA source said there was no dialogue between the Clippers and Cassell's agent, David Falk, yesterday.

"I know for a fact I've done tremendous things for this organization," Cassell told reporters in Los Angeles. "I've helped this organization have respectability in the city of LA, at least for a year, where everybody walked around with their chests out, and they can't tell me I didn't."

Milestone for James
LeBron James scored 26 points in the Cavaliers' 92-87 loss to the Celtics, becoming the youngest player in NBA history to reach 10,000 points. James reached the milestone at 23 years and 59 days, more than a year younger than Kobe Bryant was when he hit the milestone in 2003 (24 years, 193 days). It took James 368 games to do it - the ninth-fastest in league history . . . The Celtics were without guard Tony Allen against Cleveland because of a strained right calf muscle. He is listed as day to day. Forward Brian Scalabrine was back in uniform after missing five games with a strained right groin, but he didn't play.

Material from the Associated Press was used in this report.

sprrs
02-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Article also mentions nothing going on between Clippers and Cassell. Wonder what the odds of him getting waived before saturday and reuniting with KG are.

Xylus
02-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Son Of A Bitch.

sprrs
02-28-2008, 10:14 PM
I guess they got Cassell? TNT analysts saying they got him. Now they have some dangerous depth.

Leetonidas
02-28-2008, 10:41 PM
The best in the East just got better.

Medvedenko
02-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Cassell is old, what 38 now.....

Bruno
02-29-2008, 06:19 AM
Celtics needed a PG and a bigman. They get PJ Brown and likely Cassell. Both are very solid addition.

Boston has now a deep team at every spot. Their roster looks great on the paper and they play very well this year. To me, they are the favorite to win it all. Lakers could catch them as "on the paper" favorite if Bynum came back at 100%.
Teams like Mavs, Pistons and Spurs look worse "on the paper" but you don't win a championship "on the paper"

The_Game
02-29-2008, 06:56 AM
Cassell is old, what 38 now.....

Who cares, look at what he can do at age 38. still averages like 12, 3 and 5. boston now have a closer at PG for the playoffs which will be huge.