PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Parker has long thrived on matchup with Kidd

Bruno
02-28-2008, 05:55 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Arbmi51vwUThY6u_4CRwzQ28vLYF?slug=jy-parkerkidd022808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

By Johnny Ludden, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 7 minutes ago

The call came from the Bahamas. Tony Parker was on the other line, and he wasn’t happy. He had gone to the Caribbean to soak up some sun, and yet his mind kept drifting 1,300 miles to the northwest. The San Antonio Spurs were actually interviewing someone for his job.

This wasn’t news to Parker. He knew the Spurs had planned to bring Jason Kidd to town. Parker had said all the right things, too. Publicly, and in private to his coach, Gregg Popovich. He told everyone he understood why the Spurs would want to shower their free-agent dollars on Kidd. This wasn’t any point guard. It was Jason Kidd! The NBA’s best. Who wouldn’t want him?

Deep down in his heart, though, Parker was never comfortable with the idea. Hadn’t he just beaten Kidd in the NBA Finals? He didn’t play his best, but he was only 21. He would get better. Kidd was 30. And all this talk about the two of them playing together? Neither of them could shoot. Someone would eventually have to go. Parker was betting it wouldn’t be the guy getting the $94 million contract.

Parker’s family and friends called to tell him the Spurs had rolled out the red carpet for Kidd the second his private jet touched down at San Antonio International Airport. Tim Duncan drove Kidd around town. Popovich arranged for a chef to cook dinner for Kidd and his wife. Parker grew more frustrated. Finally, he picked up the phone and called a reporter.

“I know I’m the best point guard for this team,” Parker said. “I can lead this team.”

The follow morning Kidd announced he was staying in New Jersey. Parker’s comments didn’t have much, if any, impact on his decision. The Nets had secured a commitment from Alonzo Mourning to join them, and Kidd’s friends had always doubted his wife would ever agree to move to San Antonio.

But what happened next said something about Parker and why the Spurs should feel optimistic Thursday night when Kidd again visits. Every time the two point guards have met since that fateful week in July 2003, Parker has walked away the winner.

Kidd never had the benefit of playing next to a big man of Duncan’s caliber in New Jersey, and he has a significantly better supporting cast now that he’s lining up next to Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard. But there’s also a reason why Parker said he was “very happy” to hear that the Dallas Mavericks had traded for Kidd: It meant he no longer had to worry about Devin Harris.

No team has matched up better with the Spurs in recent seasons than the Mavericks. Harris was a part of that. He’s one of the few guards quick enough to stay in front of Parker, and he also gives him trouble on the other end of the floor. The trade also cost Dallas 7-foot backup center DeSagana Diop, whose length had bothered Duncan on occasion.

Kidd’s arrival in Dallas very well may end up being filed in the Spurs’ be-careful-what-you-wish-for folder. The Mavericks need an on-court leader experienced enough to wrestle away some of the sideline play-calling from coach Avery Johnson. The hope, at least, is that Kidd will coax his new teammates to run and to cut back on Dallas’ isolation-heavy offense. The Mavericks also welcome Kidd’s toughness.

“You can’t say Jason Kidd isn’t going to help them,” Parker told reporters in San Antonio. Privately, however, Parker is surprised Dallas made the trade. He never understood why Mavericks owner Mark Cuban didn’t re-sign Steve Nash and he doesn’t understand now why he would part with Harris. When Chris Paul used his own quickness to expose Kidd during Dallas’ loss to the New Orleans Hornets last week, Parker smiled.

Parker never had a problem with Kidd listening to the Spurs’ recruiting pitch. He likes Kidd and has long marveled at his game. Popovich and GM RC Buford were the targets of Parker’s frustration, and there are other reasons why their decision to pursue Kidd, while entirely justifiable, wasn’t the best.

To free up more salary-cap room to sign Kidd, the Spurs traded their first-round pick that summer. Duncan had urged them to consider drafting a fellow Wake Forest product. When the Spurs sent the pick to Phoenix and Dallas immediately followed by taking Duncan’s preferred choice – the same Josh Howard who will be running alongside Kidd Thursday – Popovich wondered aloud in the draft room whether they had made a mistake. The Suns, meanwhile, used the Spurs’ pick on Leandro Barbosa, who developed into the NBA’s reigning Sixth Man of the Year.

Looking back, the Spurs helped improve their two biggest rivals all for the right to insult their own young point guard. Two championships later, Buford can afford to joke that his tombstone won’t be complete if the names “Howard” and “Barbosa” aren’t engraved under his own. At times, Popovich has sounded more than willing to even hammer them onto Buford’s granite himself.

But there’s something else that came from the Spurs’ interest in Kidd: It made Parker better. Parker may never admit it, but whenever he sees Kidd there’s part of him that feels like he needs to prove himself all over again.

After Parker arrived for training camp in the fall of 2003, Popovich reminded him of his comments. You think you’re the best point guard for us? You think you can lead this team? Then show me.

For the next month whenever Parker threw away a pass, whenever he took an ill-advised shot, Popovich was in his ear again. Show me.

Sitting on a podium in Cleveland last June, Parker showed his coach and everyone else. The best point guard for the Spurs?

In one hand he cradled the Finals MVP award. The other held his third championship trophy.

Budkin
02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Turnstile time again tonight for TP!

picnroll
02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Now that Ludden isn't the Spurs' official mouthpiece he's detailing a little more explicitly what everyone new went on. Seems like that was Buford's call on Kidd more than the others. Maybe Duncan's as well but Duncan had to know Kidd meant no Howard.

ducks
02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
thanks tp
you saved the spur franchise with that phone call

ChumpDumper
02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah. I think that's Buford's biggest failing. Those picks or the players chosen with those picks would be criminally easy to move during the free agency period if it became necessary to open up the cap space further. There was no reason to get rid of them so early.

Lebowski Brickowski
02-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Man, Ludden writing about the Spurs again brings back good memories. Monroe has got to have his tail between his legs after Ludden's scooped him so much this season.

Awesome how Ludden doesn't pimp himself in that article. He could have told everybody that HE was "the reporter" who talked to Tony.

ducks
02-28-2008, 06:09 PM
After Parker arrived for training camp in the fall of 2003, Popovich reminded him of his comments. You think you’re the best point guard for us? You think you can lead this team? Then show me.

For the next month whenever Parker threw away a pass, whenever he took an ill-advised shot, Popovich was in his ear again. Show me.

T Park
02-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeah Pop turned those comments into a building block for Parker.

Ended up being the best thing that ever happened to this franchise, Joumanji not wanting to live in SA.

timvp
02-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Looking back, the Spurs helped improve their two biggest rivals all for the right to insult their own young point guard. Damn, Ludden drops the hammer now that he can't be reprimanded by the Spurs. That was a nice line.

The stupid thing is the Spurs could have just drafted Howard and if Kidd decided to sign with the Spurs, Buford could have just traded away Howard for a second rounder or whatever. But Buford for some reason hasn't figured out it's easy to trade cheap rookies even after you sign them . . .

timvp
02-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah. I think that's Buford's biggest failing. Those picks or the players chosen with those picks would be criminally easy to move during the free agency period if it became necessary to open up the cap space further. There was no reason to get rid of them so early.:rolleyes

Weren't you arguing against this tactic just the other day?

picnroll
02-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Guess this means my hopes of Ludden returning to the Express are pretty much shot.

T Park
02-28-2008, 06:19 PM
At times, Popovich has sounded more than willing to even hammer them onto Buford’s granite himself.

:lol

Yikes...

ChumpDumper
02-28-2008, 06:19 PM
:rolleyes

Weren't you arguing against this tactic just the other day?Scola is not a scale salary first round pick and the Spurs would have been several million dollars over the luxury tax threshold when they signed him, no several million under the cap as they were in the instances of these first rounders.

If you are incapable of understanding how completely different the situations are, :rolleyes right back at you.

T Park
02-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Guess this means my hopes of Ludden returning to the Express are pretty much shot.
Why would he take a demotion?

timvp
02-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Scola is not a scale salary first round pick and the Spurs would have been well over the luxury tax threshold when they signed him, no several million under the cap as they were in the past.

If you cen't see how completely different the situations are, :rolleyes right back at you.You weren't supposed to say the "S" word.

:madrun

ChumpDumper
02-28-2008, 06:22 PM
You weren't supposed to say the "S" word.

:madrunI never agreed to that. It was another power forward who shall remain nameless. Feel free to edit though if you want to avoid another hijack.

DespЏrado
02-28-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm hopeful that with the recent acquisitions of Stoudemire, Udoka, and Thomas that means popovich has his hands more firmly on the reigns than Buford, or at least that they are supplementing each other rather than working in opposite directions.

But Thomas and Udoka definitely feel more like old school Pop moves along the lines of Elie and Kersey than the moves that let Howard go in the draft.

Holt's Cat
02-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Fuck it, I'll say it. This team could have had Howard, Scola, and David Lee. Plus if they were a little more willing they could possibly have Jack today as well.

:pctoss

T Park
02-28-2008, 06:27 PM
David Lee is an american, we know damn well they wouldn't have drafted him either.

picnroll
02-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Why would he take a demotion?
Because it was tongue in cheek.

T Park
02-28-2008, 06:29 PM
ah....

ChumpDumper
02-28-2008, 06:33 PM
David Lee is an american, we know damn well they wouldn't have drafted him either.Yeah, Howard is the only guy you can truly say we would have drafted. That other guy we did draft was gone once we won the championship and drafted Splitter.

T Park
02-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah Brent Barry and Finley MIGHT not be on the team had Howard been drafted.

Well Finley MAYBE, but who knows.

Having Howard I think though helped Dallas push Finley out though.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I'm just saying there is no evidence the Spurs would make the plum pick at its draft position every year.

Kermit
02-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I'm just saying there is no evidence the Spurs would make the plum pick at its draft position every year.

Marcus Williams would agree with you.

whottt
02-28-2008, 06:44 PM
That part about Pop being on Parker's ass about proving he was the best PG wasn't just limited to sideline talks....

I remember for a couple of years there just about any time Pop would be asked what he wanted of Parker he'd give answers like...

"I want him to be Isiah Thomas and John Stockton rolled into one."

"He can't do enough"

Or simply...

"Everything"

It worked...

I get a nice warm feeling in this thread that some of hte people that were in favor of that Kidd trade are now bitching about the picks we traded away in trying to sign him...makes the pileons in the FSP chatroom that night done to those of us bitching about trading that pick, much more funny now...

ChumpDumper
02-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Marcus Williams would agree with you.True, although I think the biggest failure with him was not fully understanding his unwillingness to go overseas for at least one season. This year's draft class on the whole is proving to have been overrated anyway.

Sigz
02-28-2008, 06:46 PM
What a fucking great read.

whottt
02-28-2008, 06:46 PM
And I still say we should have drafted Greek Baby Shaq.

Holt's Cat
02-28-2008, 07:13 PM

Actually Lee was taken with the Suns' pick in 2005 so scratch that idea. Still, Howard, Scola, and potentially Jack.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Now that Ludden isn't the Spurs' official mouthpiece he's detailing a little more explicitly what everyone new went on. Seems like that was Buford's call on Kidd more than the others. Maybe Duncan's as well but Duncan had to know Kidd meant no Howard.

Somewhere, Kevin O'Keefe weeps.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Looking back, the Spurs helped improve their two biggest rivals all for the right to insult their own young point guard. Two championships later, Buford can afford to joke that his tombstone won’t be complete if the names “Howard” and “Barbosa” aren’t engraved under his own. At times, Popovich has sounded more than willing to even hammer them onto Buford’s granite himself.
:lol

That might be the best thing Ludden's ever written.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Damn, Ludden drops the hammer now that he can't be reprimanded by the Spurs. That was a nice line.

The stupid thing is the Spurs could have just drafted Howard and if Kidd decided to sign with the Spurs, Buford could have just traded away Howard for a second rounder or whatever. But Buford for some reason hasn't figured out it's easy to trade cheap rookies even after you sign them . . .Um, the Spurs still disrespect the value of a first-round pick, just in case you haven't noticed.

T Park
02-28-2008, 09:01 PM
yeah but this time it was for a damn good player.

Come on.

Buddy Holly
02-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Tony playing well so far.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2008, 11:30 PM
yeah but this time it was for a damn good player.

Come on.I'm not talking just about giving up a first-rounder for Thomas. I'm talking about the combination of that plus NOT getting a first-rounder for the S guy.

timvp
02-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Um, the Spurs still disrespect the value of a first-round pick, just in case you haven't noticed.Um, you obviously missed the point of what you quoted.

SenorSpur
02-29-2008, 12:40 AM
To free up more salary-cap room to sign Kidd, the Spurs traded their first-round pick that summer. Duncan had urged them to consider drafting a fellow Wake Forest product. When the Spurs sent the pick to Phoenix and Dallas immediately followed by taking Duncan’s preferred choice – the same Josh Howard who will be running alongside Kidd Thursday – Popovich wondered aloud in the draft room whether they had made a mistake. The Suns, meanwhile, used the Spurs’ pick on Leandro Barbosa, who developed into the NBA’s reigning Sixth Man of the Year.

Since Ludden decided to hammer this again, so will I. I'll never forgive Buford for being such a dumb-ass and bypassing Howard. This blunder is only compounded more because of the following 2 basic reasons:

1. The Spurs had just parted ways with Stephen Jackson
2. The Spurs have been unable to successfully replace that skill set.

Josh Howard would have filled the bill. And we wouldn't keep having this annual conversation about this mythical "swingman".

This was, by far, the biggest blunder of Buford's reign. It's time for him to stop living on the laurels of drafting Parker and Ginobili. I don't care what he's done to date or what he does in the future, Buford "screwed the pooch" on this one - and all for the pursuit of a PG who didnt' have any business being courted in the first place.

carina_gino20
02-29-2008, 12:50 AM
And Tony remains undefeated against Kidd since then... :toast

spursfan09
02-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Even though Tony made those calls eventually to vent his frusteration. I still admire how well a 21 year old handled the whole situation. Tony you are awesome and way mature for your age. I'm glad the Spurs were "stuck" with you, because it was meant to be.

Ice009
02-29-2008, 01:25 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022908.04D.BKNspurs.barry.1d30ccd.html

Kidd said Parker is entitled to his opinion.

"I didn't know about his comments until the media told me about it," Kidd said Thursday morning. "The big thing is, I just go out and do my job. When I look at the best point guards, (John) Stockton and Gary (Payton), those guys, even later in their careers I always respected them because I always felt they were the best until they left the game.

"For that, everybody has a right to their opinion, how they feel. So that's how he feels."

I would have liked this better had Tony not said anything and just thought those comments to himself. TP should know better than that to say stuff like that aloud to the media. I don't think Kidd is too happy about hearing that from TP.

spursfan09
02-29-2008, 01:29 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022908.04D.BKNspurs.barry.1d30ccd.html

"I didn't know about his comments until the media told me about it," Kidd said Thursday morning. "The big thing is, I just go out and do my job. When I look at the best point guards, (John) Stockton and Gary (Payton), those guys, even later in their careers I always respected them because I always felt they were the best until they left the game.

"For that, everybody has a right to their opinion, how they feel. So that's how he feels."

I would have liked this better had Tony not said anything and just though those comments to himself. I don't think Kidd is too happy about hearing that from TP.

Who gives a shit if he wasn't happy to hear that from Tony? Kidd turned Spurs down. Tony hasn't. Defend Tony not Kidd.

Ice009
02-29-2008, 01:33 AM
I agree with what Tony said as I thought the same thing myself, but I just don't think TP should have said it to the media or whoever it was that he said to. You get what I'm saying right? Tony has to back that up now.

It's not about defending anyone. I doubt Pop liked hearing that either.

Holt's Cat
02-29-2008, 01:37 AM
No wonder Jumanji was beat down so often.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-29-2008, 01:41 AM

I would have liked this better had Tony not said anything and just thought those comments to himself. TP should know better than that to say stuff like that aloud to the media. I don't think Kidd is too happy about hearing that from TP.
It was a brainfart on TP's part, but he was just being matter-a-fact about it. Kidd can't really compete with Parker to take him on individually, but it might add some incentive for Kidd to really want to beat us. He could have helped to try and win it on that last possession, if he was given the chance. :lol

But yeah, it's better not to open your mouth like that. Oh well.

whottt
02-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Fuck Kidd and the #1 pick he rode out on.

T Park
02-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Fuck Kidd and Fuck if he was disrespected.

We lost out on Josh Howard cause of his OJ Simpson ass.

spursfan09
02-29-2008, 01:48 AM
I agree with what Tony said as I thought the same thing myself, but I just don't think TP should have said it to the media or whoever it was that he said to. You get what I'm saying right? Tony has to back that up now.

It's not about defending anyone. I doubt Pop liked hearing that either.

He shouldn't of yes. I can agree with that, but as a 21 year old, he was just trying to save his job I guess. He never said things like that during the reg. season. He had to put up with that the whole year. AT least he waited until after the season and playoffs were done. I'm glad Tony let his voice be heard, but it all worked out I think. All in all I don't see the big deal in his comments. And if Kidd needs to used those words that were said years ago as motivation, well then thats pretty sad on Kidd's part. He has a lot of more reasons to beat the Spurs other than his TP's comments

Ice009
02-29-2008, 01:57 AM
He shouldn't of yes. I can agree with that, but as a 21 year old, he was just trying to save his job I guess. He never said things like that during the reg. season. He had to put up with that the whole year. AT least he waited until after the season and playoffs were done. I'm glad Tony let his voice be heard, but it all worked out I think. All in all I don't see the big deal in his comments. And if Kidd needs to used those words that were said years ago as motivation, well then thats pretty sad on Kidd's part. He has a lot of more reasons to beat the Spurs other than his TP's comments

I was talking about what Parker said after Kidd got traded to Dallas, not his comments from years ago.

timvp
02-29-2008, 02:51 AM
Fuck Kidd and the #1 pick he rode out on.

Fuck Kidd and Fuck if he was disrespected.

We lost out on Josh Howard cause of his OJ Simpson ass.

Are whottt and T Park the same person? :reading

greens
02-29-2008, 02:53 AM
It was a brainfart on TP's part, but he was just being matter-a-fact about it. Kidd can't really compete with Parker to take him on individually, but it might add some incentive for Kidd to really want to beat us. He could have helped to try and win it on that last possession, if he was given the chance. :lol

But yeah, it's better not to open your mouth like that. Oh well.

I agree...especially since the media always exaggerates everything and makes it seem a lot worse. Reading Tony's comment, he's just basically saying that Davin Harris/Diop presented more match up problems for the Spurs, while saying that it's no offense to Jason Kidd...YET, obviously, that is sort of dissing...but not too much.

I just think there is no necessity to add fuel to anyone...Usually, all the Spurs players basically keep everything to themselves...without making any public statements about certain things.

It's just that you never want to add any kind of extra heat...Jason Kidd probably took it personally, one would assume. It's better to avoid anything that can fire up an opponent, especially on a rival team like Dallas that already has their beef with the Spurs...

I still think that TP's words were a bit exaggerated though...the headlines for the articles were like "Tony Parker is HAPPY that..." I don't remember him saying that he's super excited about the trade or anything...more about him talking about the match ups...

Jason Kidd could have heard the over the top/multiplied version of what TP had said...He took offense to that, obviously.

Obstructed_View
02-29-2008, 02:58 AM
Parker hasn't said anything most of the Spurs fans weren't saying right after the trade anyway. Kidd with a grudge just makes it a better matchup. I'll take my chances with Parker.

Obstructed_View
02-29-2008, 02:59 AM
True, although I think the biggest failure with him was not fully understanding his unwillingness to go overseas for at least one season. This year's draft class on the whole is proving to have been overrated anyway.
The biggest failure with him was reaching for an undersized guy with a history of off-the-court problems and an inability to shoot or play defense.

ChumpDumper
02-29-2008, 03:08 AM
Nah, I'm not bagging on the pick per se because there's maybe one guy picked after him that has been worth anything this season. This past draft was a tease and is an object lesson for people who put too much importance on crappy picks. Lightning isn't going to strike every season.

Obstructed_View
02-29-2008, 03:15 AM
Nah, I'm not bagging on the pick per se because there's maybe one guy picked after him that has been worth anything this season. This past draft was a tease and is an object lesson for people who put too much importance on crappy picks. Lightning isn't going to strike every season.
That's definitely true. It's not like they skipped someone who was on their radar and is now tearing the league up. If anything, it could be that they were reaching for potential because they knew there wasn't anybody there.

Marcus does suck, though. :)

ChumpDumper
02-29-2008, 03:19 AM
He actually played really well these past few games. He'll probably be the Toros' #2 guy after Langford leaves.

Obstructed_View
02-29-2008, 03:28 AM
He actually played really well these past few games. He'll probably be the Toros' #2 guy after Langford leaves.
Damn, I was hoping you wouldn't call me out on that one.

genomefreak13
02-29-2008, 03:46 AM
looking back, the Spurs helped improve their two biggest rivals all for the right to insult their own young point guard.

Come to think of it... later on SA made another similar move. You can add the Scola deal in that mix- The spurs also improved division rival Houston.

That's so kind of them... giving the other teams a chance to win against them

whottt
02-29-2008, 03:53 AM
You guys notice...as pissed off as Kidd was...he wasn't exactly chomping at the bit to guard Tony(and neither was AJ)....he did look more determined against Manu though. He's not fast enough to guard Manu either.

I'm not sure that pissing Kidd off is the wrong thing to do...he plays at such a high level that pissing him might get him to force things.

ChumpDumper
02-29-2008, 03:57 AM
Damn, I was hoping you wouldn't call me out on that one.:lol There's no telling he'll ever stick in the NBA, but he has come a long way since summer league.

Obstructed_View
02-29-2008, 03:59 AM
It'll be really interesting to hear what talk radio has to say up here tomorrow about Kidd being on the bench.

ludda
02-29-2008, 04:02 AM
It'll be really interesting to hear what talk radio has to say up here tomorrow about Kidd being on the bench.

ESPN, TNT inside, and the Dallas newspapers are all questioning and criticizing Avery for the move (as they should). I'm sure he will be blasted more.
:lol Avery is probably the only coach who would go for guys like Brickhouse or Turtle head Terry over Kidd. I hope this fucks up their chemistry.

ChumpDumper
02-29-2008, 04:02 AM
Dallas keeps finding ways to stay atop the NBA laughing stock power rankings every week.

Obstructed_View
02-29-2008, 04:06 AM
That rise in temperature AJ just felt was the magnifying glass lens moving into position above him. I really wonder if he'll be able to survive it. However far the Mavs go, it's going to be tough for him to dodge the inevitable blame that's going to funnel right to him.

greens
02-29-2008, 04:56 AM
You guys notice...as pissed off as Kidd was...he wasn't exactly chomping at the bit to guard Tony(and neither was AJ)....he did look more determined against Manu though. He's not fast enough to guard Manu either.

I'm not sure that pissing Kidd off is the wrong thing to do...he plays at such a high level that pissing him might get him to force things.

Apparently Dirk also had a few comments about TP's comments:

"I saw that," Nowitzki said of Parker's comments. "I guess we'll just have to wait and see. We like our chances against anybody. That's how you got to look at it in the West. Everybody's so tough, and it's so tight that you got to be able to beat anybody."

Then Nowitzki couldn't help himself. He had to slip in a little sarcasm about Parker.

"Ultimately, they're still the champions, so whatever he says is going to be right because they've won three or four [titles]," Nowitzki said. "They're still the team to beat.

"It's just speculation. Nobody ever really knows what's going on. All the so-called experts give their opinion, but nobody's ever right. We'll just see what happens."

source:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/022908dnspomavsdate.1f61115.html

Bruno
02-29-2008, 05:51 AM
The "Barbosa/Howard" trade wasn't bad by itself. Spurs have just traded a late first round pick for a future first round pick.
Was Pop way higher on Howard than he is usually on players drafted by Spurs ?
I haven't the answer to that question. If Pop was in love with Howard, the trade was bad. If Pop just like Howard, the trade was just unlucky.

spursfan09
02-29-2008, 09:38 AM
I was talking about what Parker said after Kidd got traded to Dallas, not his comments from years ago.

oh ok! I thought you were talking about the comments from 03.