PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Fans - Encouraged?

monosylab1k
02-28-2008, 10:59 PM
I am. Dirk didn't shoot well but he was aggressive. Kidd played pretty well. Howard was decent. The team overall proved that they can hang with the best in the Western Conference.

We had them on the ropes in the 3rd quarter and then Jason Terry decided to be a dumb ass, and then thinking that pissing the Spurs off wasn't enough, he also decides to play like complete shit the rest of the game as well.

So besides Jason Terry being a dickwad, overall this was a disappointing but encouraging night.

Thoughts?

Amarelooms
02-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Mavs played ok...Kidd really hurts come cruntch time cause he can't shoot...he really has to be able to hit a 15ft jumper....if not Mavs have no shot

Findog
02-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Avery pulling Kidd is inexplicable and stupid. Other than that, extremely encouraging. Bet you Avery never pulls such a dipshit move again.

Findog
02-28-2008, 11:06 PM
I guess avery thought the spurs would sag off kidd and stay home with everyone else. classic case of "outsmarting himself."

monosylab1k
02-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Avery made a lot of questionable moves, most notably adding fuel to the fire by getting T'd up immediately after Jason Terry went into Asshole Mode. "Hey, let's give them ALL of our momentum!"

Amarelooms
02-28-2008, 11:11 PM
I guess avery thought the spurs would sag off kidd and stay home with everyone else. classic case of "outsmarting himself."

Of course they would...still i think you keep him in....maybe he gets lucky and actually hits a wide open jumper. Now its just awkward... :elephant

pking
02-28-2008, 11:12 PM
I am. Maybe I shouldn't be seeing as how we lost but I really thought there was potential for us to get blown out tonight (I didn't think we would but I thought there was a big chance of it) and we played a pretty good game. If the BS in the third with the T's and all that didn't go down, who knows...we could've come out of there with a W.

I didn't watch the last 35 seconds of the game (yea, don't ask) so I didn't see that Kidd was pulled. WTF is up with that?

Findog
02-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Other than Avery, I couldn't have asked for much better. Not much has changed between the two teams. We're no worse than third-best in the west.

ponky
02-28-2008, 11:14 PM
lol mono, u little bitch, what's up with the bulls team on your tag? anyway, very encouraging to say the least, this game was as tight at spurs/mavs games get, which is to say it was a normal game. brandon bass, omfg, i love that dude. danny crawford? not so much

monosylab1k
02-28-2008, 11:15 PM
If Kidd is in, Dirk drains that jumper at the end. His confidence is night and day with/without Kidd.

Avery better start feeling the heat. If Larry Brown is really looking to come back, I'd have no problem firing Avery to get a proven coach next year, and hopefully Cuban feels the same way. Avery better get his shit together quick come playoff time.

td4mvp21
02-28-2008, 11:16 PM
I would be encouraged. They played much better than I thought they would. What surprised me was that both teams missed so many shots that they normally make. Brandon Bass should never have even gotten 14 points on us. He and Kidd ran the same play 3 times in a row and he scored every time. I thought our defense was good on Terry (he had a good look late in the game but missed) and Howard. It was good on Dirk but he's not always going to go 5-15, but he may always miss shots with under 30 seconds left :lol I thought the Mavs defense on Ginobili was good, although he missed a ton of fucking shots he normally makes. I didn't think the Mavs defense was good on Parker, or at least as good as it could have been. He missed a lot of shots he normally makes and hopefully when he's 100% rust free he'll have a better effort. Their defense on Duncan was, well, what I would expect. Duncan still put up 31. Damn. The most important thing was Avery's ability to basically eliminate all role players in the first half-although they did miss some good looks. Still, it was a good defensive scheme. That's what fucked the Spurs I think, even though we won, is that we had Dirk, Terry, and Howard out of rhythm but the team defense was poor enough so that Dallas stayed in the game with their role players. Still, it says a lot about your bench for them to be able to keep you in the game against a good team.

Anyway, apparently Harris and Diop don't matter like I thought they did (Yes I was wrong :bang), although I'll take Kidd shooting over Harris anyday :lol. The Mavs are gonna be a bitch for the Spurs, that's all I can say. I still think Pop is approaching this wrong, he pays too much attention to stopping Dirk and goes with small ball :pctoss. Just stick Oberto/Horry/Duncan on Dirk, tell them to make him a jumpshooter (yes, I know, he will make a lot of them) but it hurts when he drives because it draws Duncan away from the basket and it sets up open three point shooters. I'd much rather him shoot over our big. But, despite that, it looks like the Spurs will be playing small ball :vomit against the Mavs. I'm happy with this win, I liked how we executed in the clutch. We hit our free throws/got to the line and stopped the Mavs on the defensive end. I know our defense wasn't perfect or suffocating in that stretch but it was pretty good, better than what I saw for most of the game. Good win for the Spurs. Good game Mavs fans, see you in a month :tu

Amarelooms
02-28-2008, 11:16 PM
lol mono, u little bitch, what's up with the bulls team on your tag? anyway, very encouraging to say the least, this game was as tight at spurs/mavs games get, which is to say it was a normal game. brandon bass, omfg, i love that dude. danny crawford? not so much

Hey Ponky...missed you..how you been :elephant

td4mvp21
02-28-2008, 11:17 PM

Whoa where the fuck have you been ponky?!? :lol

monosylab1k
02-28-2008, 11:17 PM
woah ponky! watup!

yeah the refs were AWFUL but they gave the Mavs a lot of calls as well, so it all evened out IMO.

And the Bulls tag is just a joke. :lol

Purple & Gold
02-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Mavs still have no post game whatsoever. It'll cost them. It was amusing seeing Dirk shoot the fadeaway over Parker at the end of the game though. :lol :lol

lurker
02-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Kidd played better than I expected, but I just can't spin that game into being very encouraging. I don't think we'll be lucky enough to get another 6 of 20 performance from Manu next time.

ratm1221
02-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Game could have went either way. Especially on the no call tomahawk Manu pulled on Terry at the end.

ponky
02-29-2008, 12:08 AM
most impressive moment of the night for me: kidd passing a courtlong pass to dampier near his freakin' ankles and dampier actually catches it, no wobble with a spur near him (forget who) and makes the basket...my eyebrows raised slightly

ratm1221
02-29-2008, 12:10 AM
as far as kid not being in the game at the end, i am sure we are going to hear how we needed our shooters.

Too late. He already said that in the post game. He also made a subtle point about someone grabbing dirks jersey at the end, which I guess I missed.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Aj has no business complaining about the refs when dirk shot only one less FT than the entire Spurs team.

Having said that, it seems a lot of Spurs fans felt that with the exit of Diop and Harris, the Spurs would sweep the Mavs.

Clearly, this is not the case.

See you guys in May :tu

Findog
02-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Aj has no business complaining about the refs when dirk shot only one less FT than the entire Spurs team.

Having said that, it seems a lot of Spurs fans felt that with the exit of Diop and Harris, the Spurs would sweep the Mavs.

Clearly, this is not the case.

See you guys in May :tu

See you. Congrats ADS.

td4mvp21
02-29-2008, 12:21 AM
I know, I thought it was petty that Avery had to get a jab in at the refs....the refs gave the Mavs more ft's than the Spurs on the Spurs' court, I'd be happy. And it's not like the Mavs players never grab jerseys :lol

2centsworth
02-29-2008, 12:23 AM
take it for what it's worth, but Tony and Manu didn't play all that well.

ratm1221
02-29-2008, 12:39 AM
take it for what it's worth, but Tony and Manu didn't play all that well.

If we are going to go there, neither did Josh Howard or Jason Terry. Thanks. :toast

Amuseddaysleeper
02-29-2008, 12:58 AM
If we are going to go there, neither did Josh Howard or Jason Terry. Thanks. :toast

or Dirk for that matter (most of his point off of ft's)

I think both teams have an extra gear for the playoffs, and the more comfortable Kidd gets with the Mavs the tougher they'll be come playoff time.

He really has done wonders for your offense.

baseline bum
02-29-2008, 02:06 AM
Yeah, they can hang when Nowitzki gets gift-wrapped 21 fucking free throws.

DazedAndConfused
02-29-2008, 02:09 AM
I don't know why the hell SAS fans are talking so much shit about this game. First of all it was a HOME game against a team that just went through a major trade that has completely shaken up the dynamics of their team. They are all still adjusting to Kidd who is actually making some amazing passes, the other guys just aren't expecting them. Despite all of this, and missing a legitimate backup to Dampier, they nearly knocked off the Spurs on their home court. If I were a SAS fan I would not be so arrogant.

ludda
02-29-2008, 02:10 AM
I don't know why the hell SAS fans are talking so much shit about this game. First of all it was a HOME game against a team that just went through a major trade that has completely shaken up the dynamics of their team. They are all still adjusting to Kidd who is actually making some amazing passes, the other guys just aren't expecting them. Despite all of this, and missing a legitimate backup to Dampier, they nearly knocked off the Spurs on their home court. If I were a SAS fan I would not be so arrogant.

Says the guy who started a thread about the mavs/dirk being chokers and not being a threat. :rolleyes

sribb43
02-29-2008, 08:54 AM
i was impressed until i saw avery put kidd on the bench...averys idiocy trumphed all the positives i was going to take from this game

ratm1221
02-29-2008, 09:25 AM

The Spurs were mugging the Mavs the entire game. Of course they are going to the free throw line. Do me a favor, go back and watch the game again and look at how much more physical San Antonio was on the defensive end. I get tired of the whole "Well they shot more free throws" bullshit. It doesn't work.

monosylab1k
02-29-2008, 09:27 AM
How bout next game tell Oberto to play actual defense instead of grabbing, shoving, and hand-checking Dirk the whole time?

fitzgerald
02-29-2008, 09:59 AM
I was really impressed by Brandon Bass. He causes much more problems for teams. Duncan can not guard him whatsoever. He is too quick and strong fo r Duncan. I hope Avery saw how they can use that same play over and over next time. They can add to that by sending a slasher to basket. Overall, the Mavs will get better and will be ready come playoff time. I saw no lacking needs. This is a team in transition so the next few games will be a good indication of the potential. Oh and Terry is really getting to be an old act.

Islymore
02-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I was fairly encouraged with the Mavs. Yea, Kidd is turnover prone and cant keep up with TP but as long as he makes those excellent passes and gets the team open looks - they seem to be gelling... or meshing... jellin.. whatever it is.

Terry is really getting on my nerves. I wish the JET would stay on the runway at all times and get that intensity and fire that we need from him. I'm sick of the belly-achin' and the tantrums!

Dirk/Kidd - lookin like they might become a beast before the season is over. The two man game they play is fierce! And I like it. This was the first Mavs game I watched all season and I was slightly encouraged... still waiting to be impressed.

clambake
02-29-2008, 11:35 AM
when kidd took his jumpers, it appeared he did so because there was no other player movement. it wasn't his first choice. those were the few moments that his teammates looked stagnant. give them time. i was very impressed.

baseline bum
02-29-2008, 12:54 PM
The Spurs were mugging the Mavs the entire game. Of course they are going to the free throw line. Do me a favor, go back and watch the game again and look at how much more physical San Antonio was on the defensive end. I get tired of the whole "Well they shot more free throws" bullshit. It doesn't work.

Shut the fuck up. All your bitch-ass fans ever do is whine about Wade's free throws and how the NBA was out to get your soft-ass team.

mardigan
02-29-2008, 12:59 PM
I just find it funny that Avery pulls Kidd even though he shotts a much better 3 point % than anyone else on the floor except Terry. Way to go Avery, mine as well taken the jersey from Kidd an entered the game himself. His ego will be his downfall.

I also found it funny that the Mavs were completely lost after they got those offensive boards at the end of the game. Im sure Kidd would have been able to get someone a shot.

DazedAndConfused
02-29-2008, 01:00 PM
How bout next game tell Oberto to play actual defense instead of grabbing, shoving, and hand-checking Dirk the whole time?

Never thought I'd agree with you but I find it a little hilarious that Spurs fans are getting their panties in a bunch when they see a game actually being called closely. It's pretty apparent that the Spurs have nobody that can legitimately guard Dirk 1-1.

SAGambler
02-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Well, you gotta wonder what Kidd is thinking today. After being praised as the guy that can close out games against elite opponents, and then being yanked at the very end of the game, must have him wondering about how much his coach really trusts his game.

SAGambler
02-29-2008, 01:11 PM

Shit, Manu goes in for a layup, is knocked on his ass, no whistle....Dirk makes a move to the basked, someone breathes hard on him, and he is shooting more freethrows. Last foul on Duncan....He was fouled 4 times before they finally decided they had to blow a whistle. Only thing I can figure is Dirk is supposed to be this superscoring machine, but he is such a pussy, the refs know they have to help him out by giving him 20 or 30 chances to score with no one defending him.

ratm1221
02-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Shut the fuck up. All your bitch-ass fans ever do is whine about Wade's free throws and how the NBA was out to get your soft-ass team.

Haha, this coming from a fan of the the team with the whiniest fan base in sports.

ratm1221
02-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Shit, Manu goes in for a layup, is knocked on his ass, no whistle....Dirk makes a move to the basked, someone breathes hard on him, and he is shooting more freethrows. Last foul on Duncan....He was fouled 4 times before they finally decided they had to blow a whistle. Only thing I can figure is Dirk is supposed to be this superscoring machine, but he is such a pussy, the refs know they have to help him out by giving him 20 or 30 chances to score with no one defending him.

You're delusional. There were plays at both ends of the court like that with no calls.

If we are calling out specific plays, how about the Manu layup where he wraps the ball up at mid court and walks it in without a single dribble. That was awesome. :clap

1Parker1
02-29-2008, 03:20 PM
I guarantee you, Larry Brown would never have let the 2006 Mavs lose 4 in a row against a lowly Heat team as Avery Johnson did. That blame isn't on Dirk.

td4mvp21
02-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Haha, this coming from a fan of the the team with the whiniest fan base in sports.

He isn't a Suns fan.

Anyway, I do find it ironic that most Mavs fans keep saying "Dirk drove, that's what happens when you drive", because that didn't stop any of you from bitching about Wade's free throws in the 2006 Finals. And he drove way more than Dirk ever has.

monosylab1k
02-29-2008, 03:44 PM
He isn't a Suns fan.

Anyway, I do find it ironic that most Mavs fans keep saying "Dirk drove, that's what happens when you drive", because that didn't stop any of you from bitching about Wade's free throws in the 2006 Finals. And he drove way more than Dirk ever has.
I dunno if we were pissed about him getting free throws for driving aggressively. I think it was more pissed about him getting free throws for shoving Jason Terry to the ground or for Dirk waving his arm in the air in Wade's general direction.

td4mvp21
02-29-2008, 03:59 PM
I dunno if we were pissed about him getting free throws for driving aggressively. I think it was more pissed about him getting free throws for shoving Jason Terry to the ground or for Dirk waving his arm in the air in Wade's general direction.

Oh, well we all know Dirk never flops. Or flails his arms. Or runs into our guys. Or trips over his own feet and draws a foul. :rolleyes Try to be a tad bit objective here.

baseline bum
02-29-2008, 04:20 PM
I thought you were pissed for Wade going to the free throw line in game 5 after Dirk shoved him in the back.

mavsfan1000
02-29-2008, 04:26 PM
I am not encouraged. Dallas played close to their best and still lost. Avery needs to be fired as well.

monosylab1k
02-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Oh, well we all know Dirk never flops.
http://www.emptythebench.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/manug1.jpg
try to be a tad bit objective here.

dallaskd
02-29-2008, 06:12 PM
:lol

and yeah i would say im encouraged. it was a hell of a game and we had a bunch of chances to win, we just couldnt hit the shot.

dallaskd
02-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Avery pulling Kidd is inexplicable and stupid. Other than that, extremely encouraging. Bet you Avery never pulls such a dipshit move again.

about your sig...Dallas already has a Duncan stopper. his name is brandon bass.

td4mvp21
02-29-2008, 06:23 PM
http://www.emptythebench.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/manug1.jpg
try to be a tad bit objective here.

This isn't a discussion about Manu Ginobili, but that's a good diversion from the topic on which you clearly had no answer. Link to where I ever said Ginobili doesn't flop? You won't find one. Ginobili flops, even the most biased Spurs fan will admit that. Unfortunately he hasn't gotten 22 trips to the line against Dallas on the road. Maybe one day.

monosylab1k
02-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Unfortunately he hasn't gotten 22 trips to the line against Dallas on the road.
Well that's his problem isn't it? Our flopper got to the line 22 times. I never once said Dirk didn't flop.

And find where I ever blamed refs on the Finals loss. I haven't. I make jokes to piss off Heat fans, and I talk about one play where Wade shoved Terry and got the call. That's it. You said all Mavs fans bitch about "D-Wade calls" and I showed you at least one call that was in fact crap. But never did I blame the refs for the Mavs losing. So get your fucking facts straight before coming at me with some bullshit.

There were plenty of bad calls against both teams last night. Dirk figured out early on that he was gonna get whistles, so he exploited that. And don't say for a second that you wouldn't have wanted the Spurs to do the exact same thing if they could.

td4mvp21
02-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Well that's his problem isn't it? Our flopper got to the line 22 times. I never once said Dirk didn't flop.
Nope, Ginobili was active last night and he drove more than Dirk yet ended up with much less free throws. :rolleyes That's the logic I've been hearing, Dirk drove so he got free throws, because we all know every drive warrants a free throw. Not saying you said it, but that's what I read. Maybe they've been talking to Stern? :lol Because that's the kind of thing he likes, except usually with fucking guards.

And find where I ever blamed refs on the Finals loss. I haven't. I make jokes to piss off Heat fans, and I talk about one play where Wade shoved Terry and got the call. That's it. You said all Mavs fans bitch about "D-Wade calls" and I showed you at least one call that was in fact crap. But never did I blame the refs for the Mavs losing. So get your fucking facts straight before coming at me with some bullshit.
Maybe you should get your facts straight. This is what I said:

Anyway, I do find it ironic that most Mavs fans keep saying "Dirk drove, that's what happens when you drive", because that didn't stop any of you from bitching about Wade's free throws in the 2006 Finals.

Perhaps my reading comprehension is a bit lacking, but I don't think I mentioned anything about Mavs fans blaming the officials. I said it didn't stop any of you from bitching about it, which is accurate because most of you did bitch about it but then credited the Heat and chose not to blame the officials. Admirable, but let's not disregard the fact that you all bitched when it happened. And if you didn't bitch on the board, it doesn't mean you never bitched period.

There were plenty of bad calls against both teams last night.
True, there is in every game.

Dirk figured out early on that he was gonna get whistles, so he exploited that. And don't say for a second that you wouldn't have wanted the Spurs to do the exact same thing if they could.

I do want the Spurs to do the same thing. They drove last night and didn't always get calls when there was contact. Oh well.

monosylab1k
03-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Maybe you should get your facts straight. This is what I said:

Perhaps my reading comprehension is a bit lacking, but I don't think I mentioned anything about Mavs fans blaming the officials. I said it didn't stop any of you from bitching about it, which is accurate because most of you did bitch about it but then credited the Heat and chose not to blame the officials. Admirable, but let's not disregard the fact that you all bitched when it happened. And if you didn't bitch on the board, it doesn't mean you never bitched period.
You're right about that. I got a little oversensitive on this one. sorry.