PDA

View Full Version : manu needs to come off the bench

ducks
02-28-2008, 11:00 PM
he is starting to get too many minutes
back to back games bad shooting
tonight 0-8

yeah this thread will make you bash me but it is the truth and with tp back and barry coming there is no need for him to play more then 30 minutes a game until the playoffs

SuperManu!!!
02-28-2008, 11:06 PM
For the first time, i agree with you ducks :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
02-28-2008, 11:08 PM
ducks getting a little worried his man is getting upstaged? :lol

In all seriousness though, Manu did shoot rather poorly tonight. Perhaps a trip to the bench might help him rest a bit.

Argiebabe
02-28-2008, 11:09 PM
TRUE... he looks tired...
But it was good to see him giving good asists and instructions to the guys, he tried to collaborate in other ways.

Kori Ellis
02-28-2008, 11:11 PM
He had an off shooting night. But I still say your best players should start.

Fin (and Barry) can do their thing off the bench. Let Manu keep starting and just scale back his minutes back close to 30.

kolko
02-28-2008, 11:11 PM
He looks tired. Pop should start reducing his minutes now. A back-to-back is coming.

MarceloM!
02-28-2008, 11:13 PM
He looks tired tonigh. Still i believe he must be a starter, moreover at this stages.

------------------------------------------------------
MANU T-SHIRTS & GIFTS
http://www.cafepress.com/tshirtmaster/3077393

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-28-2008, 11:13 PM
He should keep starting. We've won 9 games.

Manu's shooting is independent of whether he starts or not.

beirmeistr
02-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Why mess around with a good thing? The Sputs are on a winning streak with Manu starting and they are not falling behind in the first quarter like before. I think Finley is playing great off the bench.

Sigz
02-28-2008, 11:15 PM
I dunno.. I'd keep it the same.

We are on a streak, and Finley is playing some of the most consistent Spurs basketball coming off the bench, since he's been here.

jmard5
02-28-2008, 11:15 PM
The Mavs also zeroed in into Manu. He needed a lot of picks to get away from his man.

beirmeistr
02-28-2008, 11:16 PM
He looks tired. Pop should start reducing his minutes now. A back-to-back is coming.
manu thrives on back-to-backs.

T Park
02-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Manu coming off the bench is what made this team successfull, and was the reason for the great start.

Go back to it.

ducks
02-28-2008, 11:17 PM
manu shot bad the last two games

jag
02-28-2008, 11:20 PM
I've been preaching this shit for the past couple weeks...people dont wanna hear it.

Kori Ellis
02-28-2008, 11:20 PM

He's playing too many minutes and is losing his legs late in games. He can't keep playing 36-40. They just need to scale him back to close to 30.

Man In Black
02-28-2008, 11:21 PM

Ummm did they win and what did he do elsewhere? Why don't you tell us, did he rebound badly? What about assists, did he suck at that? Steals, tipped balls, right picks, pass-to-the pass-that-got-the basket?

I don't care when, but if the bench can produce, let him start. The crazier thing is that even if Pop switches him back to the bench, he'll still produce.

The dude is SUPER-MANU
:fro

greens
02-28-2008, 11:21 PM
He had an off shooting night. But I still say your best players should start.

Fin (and Barry) can do their thing off the bench. Let Manu keep starting and just scale back his minutes back close to 30.

I agree...I think Pop should just slowly lower Manu's minutes...I think Manu should continue to start. I just looked at the February results, the Spurs have won 10 games in Feb, lost one game during the month. Manu simply had an off shooting night, yet he still managed 17 pts and 5 assists.

Plus, look at Michael Finley! The way he's playing off the bench. Especially, today he got 16 pts right when the Spurs really needed him! So he's doing a solid job indeed.

Right now, everything is so close in the seedings, I think as Kori had said...the best three players should start the game, to set the tone. And Fin will continue to produce off the bench. Also Kurt Thomas should start playing a lot more minutes soon...Plus, Ime is usually pretty good too...today, he had a bit of an off day.

I say stick with what is working for the moment.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2008, 11:24 PM
He also played the entire first quarter tonight. He's at his best playing 6-8 minute bursts.

ducks
02-28-2008, 11:26 PM
not sure if coming off the bench is best but he needs to play in those spurs like ahf has
as long as spurs make the playoffs they need a rested tp,manu and duncan

porscha
02-28-2008, 11:28 PM
good day or bad day that guy always find a way to make his team wins

Deimosfobos
02-28-2008, 11:28 PM
So Manu is not alowed to shoot bad?

Shoud we bench Parker or Dundan when they miss too much?

Come on... this bs is getting old...

ducks
02-28-2008, 11:29 PM

dude usually does not have a bad outing if he does not play to many minutes or more ten 6-8 minutes at a time

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2008, 11:30 PM
38 minutes for Manu tonight was the problem, he just didn't have the legs at the end. I know Pop says it's critical to turn it on now due to the competitiveness of the West, but not if it means that your biggest x-factor is spent by the time the playoffs start.

Ice009
02-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Well one other option to consider. You could always put Parker on the bench. I like the way the offense runs with Damon out there. If Pop did NOT want to bench Manu and he wanted more scoring production he could always try benching Tony until TP gets his game going again. Might be able to get Tony's game going better from the bench where he can be the focal point of the offense. We don't really want to screw around and have bad starts while TP is still trying to get it going.

You guys probably think this is a crazy suggestion though so let me have it if you do.

Kori Ellis
02-28-2008, 11:32 PM
38 minutes for Manu tonight was the problem, he just didn't have the legs at the end. I know Pop says it's critical to turn it on now due to the competitiveness of the West, but not if it means that your biggest x-factor is spent by the time the playoffs start.

That's what I'm saying. Manu plays too hard to expect him to be able to play 38 minutes without getting tired. When Tony gets in game shape, they can scale back Manu to 28-32 minutes to keep his legs fresh.

T Park
02-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Agreed.

Go back to Fin starting.

You have 2 outside threats that open it up for Duncan.

Run 4 down ad nauseum in the beginning and let Tony be agressive with Oberto or Chise with pick and pops or drives to the basket.

Bring Manu in with Stoudamire and Kurt Thomas, let Ginobili and Duncan rest, and keep the offense moving.

jag
02-28-2008, 11:34 PM

Are you delusional?

This is about his playing time, the poor shooting isnt a knock on him, it just poses questions about his playing time.

Sure the spurs are winning games with him playing 36+ min, but at what cost?

Like someone else already said, he needs to play in bursts and less then 30mpg. Fresh legs in the postseason will make all the difference.

2centsworth
02-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Tony will get back to his old self faster with Manu on the bench. At this point, Tony needs to be selfish and get himself back.

gospursgojas
02-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Plus it seemed the in the first half the Spurs lacked a spark off the bench.

Fin gave them one in the 2nd but Manu is instant offense off the bench

SpurOutofTownFan
02-28-2008, 11:48 PM
ducks getting a little worried his man is getting upstaged? :lol

In all seriousness though, Manu did shoot rather poorly tonight. Perhaps a trip to the bench might help him rest a bit.

HAHA coming from Ducks, I would bash on him but I think he actually means well on this one.

SpurOutofTownFan
02-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Tony will get back to his old self faster with Manu on the bench. At this point, Tony needs to be selfish and get himself back.

I kind of second this.

However, I would like to see what the posters would say if Manu brings 40 pts next game. How can you justify what you say if that actually happens?

bigfan
02-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I like Finley starting or even Bones assuming we get him back. Id rather keep Manu fresh and come in to change the game.

rob5
02-29-2008, 12:02 AM
thats stupid, 7 game winning streak with Manu starting and you want to bench him :nope

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-29-2008, 12:38 AM
If you move Manu back to the bench it's sink or swim for TP, and I like that idea.

When Manu starts he has fewer opportunities to score because he has to share the rock with Tony and Tim - I like him rocking the opponent's 2nd unit.

Also, Fin generally plays better as a starter (although he's had some really good games off the bench lately).

I've been calling for this for a few games now. Manu's definitely playing too many minutes and it WILL hurt the team in April if it continues.

TMTTRIO
02-29-2008, 01:23 AM
I would say why change it if it's working so far and we've been winning this way. Manu's been doing a lot better starting lately and although I think we need to really limit his minutes he's been pretty impressive even with the minutes he's played. Mike Finley has been doing awesome and bringing the energy from the bench that we've been looking forward to for a long time to replace Manu. Besides I don't want Manu to get the 6MOY award :).

spursfan09
02-29-2008, 01:36 AM
I love Manu so much. I think out of the big 3 he shows his age the most, but yet again he shows more explosiveness at the same time. He's wierd.

sabar
02-29-2008, 01:41 AM
I'd bench him so Tony takes more shots and gets in form a bit faster.

roycrikside
02-29-2008, 05:37 AM

And Tony's shot bad the last three months. He's got like no jumper at all now. You calling for his benching?

I agree, Manu should go to the bench for the good of the team, but quit looking for reasons to pick on him. We won the game and like TimVP said, he did keep the team in it in the first half when nobody besides Tim could do anything.

Slippy
02-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Agree, with others who say keep him in there as starter. Once Tony gets it going , things will become easier for Manu . Although im all for reducing his mins. From 30 to 34min seems ok.

When they're both on song , they will compliment each other. Just give it time. Theres always a chance Pop will put him back there but it wont be because Manu's having off shooting nights. :wtf

MB20
02-29-2008, 08:05 AM
You can still start Manu but reduce his minutes to 28-32.

MmP
02-29-2008, 08:14 AM
I think that the only way that Manu come back to the "off the bench" role is that Tony starts playing the way he was before injury. Tony is still adjusting and If you make Manu come off the bench now there won't be enough scoring until Manu comes in.

colargol
02-29-2008, 09:54 AM
the only prob with manu starting or not is not about manu...it's about who 's coming from the bench....if Finley plays as he did yesterday there's no reason to bench manu

SAGambler
02-29-2008, 10:34 AM
He had an off shooting night.

How many guys wish they had an "off" night while putting up 17/5/5 ? Manu is fine. But personally, I kind of wish he would go back to coming in off the bench. That way we can all be settled in waiting for the first Manumoment of the night.

Ghost Writer
02-29-2008, 10:38 AM
I said after Parker came back that Manu should go back to the bench. Aside from Finley (who should be starting again), the Spurs' bench has been anemic.

And I believe that Parker and Ginobili almost "compete" for the rock.

Get Finley in there with Duncan and Parker and let Manu carry the second unit.