PDA

View Full Version : In Memoriam of the Dallas Mavericks

whottt
02-28-2008, 11:15 PM
R.I.P.

I will miss the Spur killing Dallas Mavericks, it was a fun 2 years.

DazedAndConfused
02-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Don't act like you blew the Mavs out. Take away those two tech fouls and its a tie game. The Mavs definitely put up a fight and Kidd isn't even fully integrated yet.

phyzik
02-28-2008, 11:28 PM
hate to say it but I kind of agree with Dazed here..... Still, mavs where grabbing the shit out of Manu and nothing was being called.

It all worked out in the end though, good always triumps over evil.... or at least stupidity.

ChuckD
02-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Man, Ginobili plays like a D-Leaguer, and Bass plays like a Dream Teamer, and they still lose. Dallas fan can't be feeling too good about now.

T Park
02-28-2008, 11:29 PM
This is a Spurs blowout if two things that normally happen happen.

1. Tony Parker is agressive and driving to the hole.

2, Manu makes his shots like he usually does and is agressive.

Just consider the Mavericks getting let off the hook.

Beno Udrih
02-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Don't act like you blew the Mavs out. Take away those two tech fouls and its a tie game. The Mavs definitely put up a fight and Kidd isn't even fully integrated yet.
:rolleyes Weak sauce. Take away Dirks 20+free throws and the Spurs blow this out.

SouthernFried
02-28-2008, 11:30 PM
I dunno...Mav's still looked pretty damn good to me.

Bass was a great pickup. Kidd on the other hand...

We still win this matchup in the playoffs methinks, but they're a scary team for us. Great shooters, great quickness...

Don't like a lot of their players tho...gangsta wannabe's and hotheads. But, they are scary.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2008, 11:32 PM

Take away the Dirk Nowitzki Vaginal Memorial Whistlefest by Crawford and it's a blowout.

Herschel Walker
02-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Not to mention any touch on Dirk was an automatic foul while Manu and Td were getting grabbed, held, and pushed with not many calls. Also, the Spurs shot like shit until late.

whottt
02-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Dazed is a Lakerfan who doesn't know anything about the Spurs Mavs matchup. He probably wasn't even watching basketball the past 3 years when LA sucked.

If I was gonna make this proclamation after one win I'd have made it long before now.

Chuck D has a better take on it...

The past 2 years we've had to play a perfect game just to have a chance of beating the Mavs at the end of the game, even if they played like crap.

Whereas this game the Spurs played pretty poorly and missed easy shots all night and it was all the Mavs could do to stay in the game.

If we'd played this poorly against the Mavs at any point during the past 2 years we'd have been down by over 20....much less winning by 3.

The worm has turned...it's different now.

Goodbye Dallas...it was fun.

remingtonbo2001
02-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Take away the Dirk Nowitzki Vaginal Memorial Whistlefest by Crawford and it's a blowout.

:lmao It's too much...just stop it already.

Findog
02-28-2008, 11:35 PM
R.I.P.

I will miss the Spur killing Dallas Mavericks, it was a fun 2 years.

Obama has no chance to beat out Hillary for the nomination.

US forces will reach the Yalu and unify Korea.

The Wehrmacht will finish off the Russians now that they're on the outskirts of Moscow.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2008, 11:35 PM
And Shaq has sure tightened up that Phoenix defense, hasn't he?

Findog
02-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Dazed is a Lakerfan who doesn't know anything about the Spurs Mavs matchup. He probably wasn't even watching basketball the past 3 years when LA sucked.

If I was gonna make this proclamation after one win I'd have made it long before now.

Chuck D has a better take on it...

The past 2 years we've had to play a perfect game just to have a chance of beating the Mavs at the end of the game, even if they played like crap.

Whereas this game the Spurs played pretty poorly and missed easy shots all night and it was all the Mavs could do to stay in the game.

If we'd played this poorly against the Mavs at any point during the past 2 years we'd have been down by over 20....much less winning by 3.

The worm has turned...it's different now.

Goodbye Dallas...it was fun.

:lmao

Herschel Walker
Once Parker gets in game shape he goes off on this Mavs team like he did on the Cavs. They start the game with Terry on Parker, Dirk on TD, and Kidd on Manu. That's 3 miss-matches in the Spurs favor right off the bat.

Shank
And whottt should know, he was a Mavs fan for a long time before jumping bandwagons.

What's with this "if" and "take away ___" bullshit? That was all part of what made the game what it was. There are no "ifs". It was what it was.

whottt
02-28-2008, 11:40 PM
What's with this "if" and "take away ___" bullshit? That was all part of what made the game what it was. There are no "ifs". It was what it was.

Yeah...and what it was, was a game that the Spurs played poorly and won...that hasn't happened with Dallas in a long time.

Bascially it's been(when healthy)...

Mavs play well, Spurs play bad = Mav Blowout
Mavs play bad, Spurs play bad = Mav easy win
Mavs play bad, Spurs play perfect = Spurs 1-5 pt win, if we're lucky.

some_user86
And whottt should know, he was a Mavs fan for a long time before jumping bandwagons.

Exactly. And the end product was that the Mavs lost. End of Story.

MarceloM!

The Wehrmacht will finish off the Russians now that they're on the outskirts of Moscow.

YEAHHH...OBAMA 08!

--------------------------------------------------
MANU T-SHIRTS GIFTS (http://www.cafepress.com/tshirtmaster/3077393)

DazedAndConfused
02-28-2008, 11:41 PM
How about this, if stupid ass Jason Terry never gets that technical foul do the Mavericks win?

Findog
"If" Dirk and Terry don't have off-shooting nights....

I'm just surprised we didn't lose by 50 since Bill Russell and Oscar Robertson play for New Jersey now.

some_user86
Once Parker gets in game shape he goes off on this Mavs team like he did on the Cavs. They start the game with Terry on Parker, Dirk on TD, and Kidd on Manu. That's 3 miss-matches in the Spurs favor right off the bat.

And on the reverse, we have the ultimate Dirk Stopper(TM): Tony Parker.

whottt
02-28-2008, 11:42 PM

What part of Shaq is going to knock the shit out of guys don't you get? That's his d...and if you don't think it works watch what he did to Tony in 04, or Dirk and co in 06. I didn't say he was going to be the second coming of David Robinson now did I? He wasn't the second coming of David Robinson when he was 27.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-28-2008, 11:43 PM
We come to bury the Mavs; not to praise them.

whottt

And yeah....I've been marveling at the defensive improvement of the Heat...

Marion sure impacted that team positively didn't he...have they won with him yet?

Findog
This is a Spurs blowout if two things that normally happen happen.

1. Tony Parker is agressive and driving to the hole.

2, Manu makes his shots like he usually does and is agressive.

Just consider the Mavericks getting let off the hook.

This is a Mavs blowout if Dirk and Terry don't have off-shooting nights.

"IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF"

You guys won a tight game and apparently Avery is still a Spur. Both teams played at a playoff-level of intensity. Any series between these two teams is going at least 6 and probably 7 games. Maybe we'll see you in May.

T Park
02-28-2008, 11:44 PM
"If" Dirk and Terry don't have off-shooting nights....

I'm just surprised we didn't lose by 50 since Bill Russell and Oscar Robertson play for New Jersey now.

If Parker and Manu don't shoot a combined 10 for 28 either.

whottt
How about this, if stupid ass Jason Terry never gets that technical foul do the Mavericks win?

How about this...if fire wasn't hot would it burn you?

Aggie Hoopsfan

Howabout this, if Manu doesn't go 6-20, does it matter?

jag
02-28-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm waiting for Findog to convince me that no-look passes win titles.

GSH
02-28-2008, 11:46 PM
He's a great player, and the Spurs fouled him a lot. I think it took a lot more contact to get a whistle on the other end of the floor, but that's neither here nor there. It's sort of a rule: if a 90% free throw shooter gets as many free throws as our whole team, it's gonna be a tough game.

The one time that he and Bowen were going after a loose ball and Bruce hooked his arm, Dirk spun around like he had been hit by a truck. I was just glad that there was no scorer's table to fly into, or Bowen might have gotten a 2 game suspension.

T Park

Aggie and Whottt brought their A game, this is great.

SpurOutofTownFan
I said it in the other thread, the worst thing the Mavs could have done is to get rid of Harris. TP was afraid of him in a sense. Yes, Kidd is a better player but he doesn't make them better against the big contenders with a really fast PG like Parker and the like.

It really showed today that although Howard always brings it against the Spurs and Dirk gets a lot of calls (ROLF at when he tripped over his own foot and when he was grabbed by Bowen and almost jumped in the floor) and hits a lot of shots. The rest of the team doesn't have enough to counter the Spurs on a 7 games series.

Expect to see more about JT getting pissed and AJ getting technicals.

By the way, to that one who's saying because of the technicals the Mavs didn't win - please don't be naive, what about those blown calls for Noringski. You can't say a game was won or lost because somebody got some Ts... the Ts by the way were well deserved. It was clear JT was insulting Bowen.

Findog
If Parker and Manu don't shoot a combined 10 for 28 either.

Exactly. Neither team played their best game. But since you guys won by 2 points at home and our dumbass coach pulled Kidd for the last possession, the Mavericks might as well forfeit if they should advance in the playoffs to meet San Antonio. I mean it's just obvious that there's a huge gulf between the two teams now and we don't even deserve to be on the court with the Spurs.

T Park
02-28-2008, 11:47 PM
I was just glad that there was no scorer's table to fly into, or Bowen might have gotten a 2 game suspension.

HO HO HO

YES JOHNNY!!!

ZING!!

T Park
Exactly. Neither team played their best game. But since you guys won by 2 points at home and our dumbass coach pulled Kidd for the last possession, the Mavericks might as well forfeit if they should advance in the playoffs to meet San Antonio. I mean it's just obvious that there's a huge gulf between the two teams now and we don't even deserve to be on the court with the Spurs.

God you maverick fans are such bitches.

Findog
I'm waiting for Findog to convince me that no-look passes win titles.

I'm waiting for any Spurs fan to convince me that Devin Harris and DeSagana Diop were our two best players.

Shank
02-28-2008, 11:48 PM
I said it in the other thread, the worst thing the Mavs could have done is to get rid of Harris. TP was afraid of him in a sense. Yes, Kidd is a better player but he doesn't make them better against the big contenders with a really fast PG like Parker and the like.

Holy shit! That was YOU that said that? Did you know your original thought is everywhere now? You should seek royalties.

Findog
02-28-2008, 11:48 PM
God you maverick fans are such bitches.

Hey, I didn't start a thread proclaiming the Mavs cannot possibly beat the Spurs after a game like this. You'd rep your team too when the shoe is on the other foot.

BonnerDynasty
02-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Mavs looked good but I expected them to look good against the Spurs. They always play well against us. They punk us and they aren't afraid of us.

Spurs played a shitty game and the refs blew on both sides tonight. Can't really take much away from this one imo.

T Park
Hey, I didn't start a thread proclaiming the Mavs cannot possibly beat the Spurs after a game like this. You'd rep your team too when the shoe is on the other foot.

Honestly hes right.

I don't see what hes said isn't correct.

ducks
I think aj days are numbered in dallas

jag
I'm waiting for any Spurs fan to convince me that Devin Harris and DeSagana Diop were our two best players.

Well you already convinced me yesterday that Dampier was capable of guarding Duncan...right?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-28-2008, 11:50 PM
The Spurs have the edge that you guys used to have over us in these close games. They seem to have been one step ahead at executing and getting offense in the game, and it has a lot to do with our pieces. Plus, Duncan has no one to slow him down now. He practically used Damp's chest to pass it back to himself in crunch time. :lol

td4mvp21
02-28-2008, 11:50 PM
I do agree with some things, in the past we have had to play perfect to beat the Mavs and tonight we clearly didn't, on offense or defense. But I don't think Dallas is done or a nonthreat, they are going to be a motherfucking bitch to beat in the playoffs and if all games are like the last one?

Findog
02-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Mavs looked good but I expected them to look good against the Spurs. They always play well against us. They punk us and they aren't afraid of us.

Spurs played a shitty game and the refs blew on both sides tonight. Can't really take much away from this one imo.

:toast

Congratulations on the win tonight.

SpurOutofTownFan
02-28-2008, 11:53 PM
I think aj days are numbered in dallas

I agree with this, especially after he got that stupid T. I don't think he will be there much longer if they don't win it all this year.

lefty
I do agree with some things, in the past we have had to play perfect to beat the Mavs and tonight we clearly didn't, on offense or defense. But I don't think Dallas is done or a nonthreat, they are going to be a motherfucking bitch to beat in the playoffs and if all games are like the last one?

We played like shit, and Barry didn't play.

Plus, Mavs went to the FT line every time

And we still won

Findog
Honestly hes right.

I don't see what hes said isn't correct.

You're right TPark. All one has to do is look at the final score:

Spurs 143, Mavs 87.

It's not like it came down to the final possession or anything. It's not like the Mavs proved they can hang with the Spurs.

T Park

So you think Ginobili, Parker, and Horry are gonna play that shitty again?

T Park
02-28-2008, 11:54 PM

Spurs 143, Mavs 87.

It's not like it came down to the final possession or anything. It's not like the Mavs proved they can hang with the Spurs.

God Fin, act your age and not like the other 12 year old vagina hurt Mavs fans, your better than that.

bigfan
02-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Hey, it was close enough and we still play em again in a month at their place. Ill take the win though, good job, esp. Tim!

jag
02-28-2008, 11:55 PM

Spurs 143, Mavs 87.

What about Dirk shooting as many FT's as the entire Spurs team do you not get?

remingtonbo2001
02-28-2008, 11:55 PM

Takin' it like a champ!

Props.

td4mvp21
02-28-2008, 11:56 PM
So you think Ginobili, Parker, and Horry are gonna play that shitty again?

Nope, I don't. I think it's great and a good sign we won this game with Parker and Ginobili sucking ass. But I'm not going to discount the Mavericks because of won win in late February.

Holt's Cat
02-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Spurs shot 45.7% from the field while the Mavs shot 43.2%.

For the season-to-date, the Spurs are shooting 45.8% while the Mavs are shooting 46.2%, so the Spurs' D was a little better tonight. The Spurs are also holding their opponents to 44.9% from the field while the Mavs are holding theirs to 44.8%.

Findog
[QUOTE=ManuTim_best of Fwiendz]The Spurs have the edge that you guys used to have over us in these close games. They seem to have been one step ahead at executing and getting offense in the game, and it has a lot to do with our pieces.

I agree the Spurs have continuity that we lack. That's the risk you take when you bring in Jason Kidd with 30 games left in the regular season. It's going to take about 10-15 games for us to really get some on-court chemistry going, for guys to adjust to having a PG like him that can get them the ball like he does. Plus, we're way more turnover-prone right now because of the adjustment to Kidd. Part of that is running more with Kidd and botched fastbreaks. Part of that is guys just not being alert enough to receive his passes. The former probably can't be fixed but the latter will.

Plus, Duncan has no one to slow him down now. He practically used Damp's chest to pass it back to himself in crunch time. :lol

Duncan never had anyone to slow him down before. He averaged 32 and 15 in the playoffs against us. You don't stop Duncan, you make him work hard, you rotate bodies on him, one of which was in street clothes, and you rotate back to cover the shooters when he passes out of a double team. Manu and Parker had off-shooting nights, so did Dirk and Terry. Not all that much has changed between the two teams. Should we meet in May, that series will go at least 6 and most likely 7 games.

jag
Nope, I don't. I think it's great and a good sign we won this game with Parker and Ginobili sucking ass. But I'm not going to discount the Mavericks because of won win in late February.

The Mavs played well, they're a solid team. The only thing im not convinced of is that they're better after the trade then they were before.

davi78239
game could of gone either way. I do honestly agree that the spurs had they played better could of won more comfortably at least by 10.

Findog
02-28-2008, 11:58 PM

What about not settling for jumpers and driving to the basket do you not get? How many times was he fouled out on the arc, besides Horry running into him on the three attempt? He was aggressive even though his shot wasn't falling. Superstars that play aggressively get calls. Get over it.

Shank
02-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Both teams played hard.

Findog
02-29-2008, 12:00 AM
God Fin, act your age and not like the other 12 year old vagina hurt Mavs fans, your better than that.

This thread is a 12 year old vagina thread and you know it. You guys get bragging rights for one night, and I'd have to give the slight edge to San Antonio in a seven game series, but we're not "done."

Findog
Both teams played hard.

Both teams played hard.

Holt's Cat
So Dirk received 21 trips to the line and the Mavs still couldn't win.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Guys we should just accept the fact the Mavs will win it all. Despite the fact that AJ thinks he's better off on the bench at crunch time, it's clear having Jason Kidd riding the pine in the fourth while Dirk chokes the game away (when he's not trying to mug down with Dampier at the last second) is going to put them over the top.

We just need to accept and appreciate the greatest we are seeing before us :tu

SpurOutofTownFan
Dirk didn't have an off shooting night

AJ just whined - he said Dirk got his jersey pulled in one of the last plays.

td4mvp21
What about not settling for jumpers and driving to the basket do you not get? How many times was he fouled out on the arc, besides Horry running into him on the three attempt? He was aggressive even though his shot wasn't falling. Superstars that play aggressively get calls. Get over it.
Don't start with that shit. I'm sorry, but you guys bitched about the same stuff when it happened to Dallas with Wade. And Wade drove more than Dirk. Mavs fans would singing a different tune if Duncan got 21 fts.

rAm
02-29-2008, 12:01 AM
it was a great game, but the fouls against dirk were rediculous...

a lot of discrepancies in the game, I still feel that the mavs were better last year tho.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-29-2008, 12:01 AM
This thread is a 12 year old vagina thread and you know it.

You should learn how to count, this is only Dirk's 10th season.

Shank
02-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Both teams played hard.

Both teams played hard.

Findog
02-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Don't start with that shit. I'm sorry, but you guys bitched about the same stuff when it happened to Dallas with Wade. And Wade drove more than Dirk. Mavs fans would singing a different tune if Duncan got 21 fts.

The refs didn't cost us the Finals. And Duncan getting 21 FTAs would be about right if we hadn't doubled as much. The Spurs, especially Finley, knocked down their open shots when Duncan passed out.

Findog
02-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Both teams played hard

Both teams played hard

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-29-2008, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE]

I agree the Spurs have continuity that we lack. That's the risk you take when you bring in Jason Kidd with 30 games left in the regular season. It's going to take about 10-15 games for us to really get some on-court chemistry going, for guys to adjust to having a PG like him that can get them the ball like he does. Plus, we're way more turnover-prone right now because of the adjustment to Kidd. Part of that is running more with Kidd and botched fastbreaks. Part of that is guys just not being alert enough to receive his passes. The former probably can't be fixed but the latter will.

Good point. As much as I liked the signs from this win, it's still a February game.

Duncan never had anyone to slow him down before. He averaged 32 and 15 in the playoffs against us. You don't stop Duncan, you make him work hard, you rotate bodies on him, one of which was in street clothes, and you rotate back to cover the shooters when he passes out of a double team. Manu and Parker had off-shooting nights, so did Dirk and Terry. Not all that much has changed between the two teams. Should we meet in May, that series will go at least 6 and most likely 7 games.I think
Duncan got easier shots than he did in the past against the Mavs with the Diop-Damp tandem. Usually it would slow down our tempo, and help contribute to our come from behind wins. In this game he was on, and the rest of the team was off, but we were right there in scoring pace with you guys. I don't see him working as hard against the Mavs in a series even with Magloire as another big.

Findog
02-29-2008, 12:06 AM
You should learn how to count, this is only Dirk's 10th season.

Irk NoRingski. See what I did there?

jag
02-29-2008, 12:06 AM
This thread is a 12 year old vagina thread and you know it. You guys get bragging rights for one night, and I'd have to give the slight edge to San Antonio in a seven game series, but we're not "done."

Agreed, a 7 game series would be a war. The only thing i've really pointed out is that you lost a lot more D with that trade than you realize. And i dont feel that it's going to make you a better team. Kidd's D will reveal its ugly self against Tony at 100% and/or Chris Paul if you meet the Hornets.

milkyway21
02-29-2008, 12:07 AM

Don't worry he choked on that last two that matters.
:p:

duncan228

Thanks Findog.
We knew it would be a good one.

NRHector
what about the foul the refs called when the idiot dirk tripped with his own fucken feet, do you remember that on eyou dumb fuck it had to be a faker fan making a stupid comment

Findog
02-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Good point. As much as I liked the signs from this win, it's still a February game.

I feel pretty good about this loss, other than Avery pulling Kidd for the final possession. It's probably a mistake he won't make again, so I'd rather it happen in February than May.

I think
Duncan got easier shots than he did in the past against the Mavs with the Diop-Damp tandem. Usually it would slow down our tempo, and help contribute to our come from behind wins. In this game he was on, and the rest of the team was off, but we were right there in scoring pace with you guys. I don't see him working as hard against the Mavs in a series even with Magloire as another big.

That was definitely playoff Duncan out there tonight. He was jazzed and motivated. I honestly don't think Magloire is any kind of savior, but I don't think the difference between him and Diop will be the difference between winning and losing a series. I was really worried about Parker, and he didn't go off, although he did get into the lane a little easier.

Shank
02-29-2008, 12:15 AM
I feel pretty good about this loss, other than Avery pulling Kidd for the final possession. It's probably a mistake he won't make again, so I'd rather it happen in February than May.

How many lessons must this team learn before the get over the hump? I know it's still just a regular season game, but at some point you have to stop questioning your own team, grow a pair and do the obvious to try to get the win.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-29-2008, 12:17 AM
How many lessons must this team learn before the get over the hump? I know it's still just a regular season game, but at some point you have to stop questioning your own team, grow a pair and do the obvious to try to get the win.
It's better you guys made a coaching mistake in a regular season game, rather than one in the playoffs.
But it's true, the regular season games aren't meaningless this year as opposed to other years since every win counts now. Avery's probably kicking himself over the Kidd benching.

ChuckD
02-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Shank and Findog need to get a room so they can "play hard" together...

lefty
02-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Both teams played hard

"Say whaaat ? "

Findog
02-29-2008, 12:22 AM

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/193/507178960_c606e473db_o.jpg

Findog
02-29-2008, 12:23 AM
"Say whaaat ? "

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/513030464_5a3370d2cb_o.jpg

lefty
02-29-2008, 12:23 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/513030464_5a3370d2cb_o.jpg

Findog
02-29-2008, 12:24 AM

Well, the silver lining is that this team still has a two-year window after this one and if Avery once again gets outcoached in the playoffs this spring, we'll have a new coach in November. That was just inexplicable. Yeah, let's have JET dribble around when instead Kidd could do a drive and dish with Jet spotting up.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-29-2008, 12:24 AM
:lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-29-2008, 12:25 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves now.

We won today, sure, and did so while shooting poorly and playing a very average game, but the point is that the Mavs seem to always do that to us - we play poorly against them more often than not.

The Mavs could easily have won today's game, so let's not have a great big circle jerk just yet...

When TP finds his game, the O is flowing again, and the D is playoff level for 48 minutes I'll start getting excited. However, all that is a while away.

YODA
02-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Was at the game and came away with alot of new beliefs about the Spurs and this game.
1. Dirk actually is a fairly smart player. he would shoot then a player running at him would run into him. He would let himself fall down and get a foul . This happen for most of the night till the ref's finally caught on.

2. Seemed like just about everyone played D on Dirk with little to no success. Oberto, Uduka, Bowen, Horry and Finley all had turns on him. nooone had any success.Finley might have been the best of the bunch because he got physical with him and that seemed to piss him off.

3. Few min Horry was in he was to scared to shoot. Can stand when an open player doesnt shoot.

4. Kidd started off on Manu and Manu had his way with him. Poor manu missed a ton of easy layups. and could have had alot more points. It wasnt long till Kiidd was on someelse.

5. Parkers outside shot is currently gone. he was short on all his outside shots and was reluctant to take any shots from the outside. He was even reluctant to drive early on, but once he got his head out of his ass, he eventually and starting driving nad scoring. He didnt kick out much, but he caused enough havic with his pernitration.

6. Bowen D still good, I cant stant when dirk just pretty much jump shoots over him. Seems like it doesnt bother him at all. Bruce still backing off a lot of 3's but the good news was he was moving in and making a few mid range jumpers.,,yes mid range jumpers. scary

7. Manu could have had alot more points but was not getting the calls. he was getting beat up pretty good and just couldnt seem to finish at the rim. Manu just keeps his head and keeps coming at you. His gambling D is troublesome, but his teammates already know to help out because they know he will gamble when he is one on one on D.

8. Pop mostly played small ball and the absolute best line up was TIM. Finley, Parker , Manu, Bowen. this group was awsome on D and had the most motion on O.

9. First half after TD went off on everyone they threw at him, the kept feeding him in the second and pretty much just watched him. Reminded back in the day when we just threw the ball to Tim and watched. luckily, that all changed in the 3rd,

10. Kidd had decent numbers, but really wasnt a factor. The spurs were willing to let him take shots and he really didnt want to take them. He quietly gave out alot of assistsm but nothing extraodrinary.

11. Avery was standing on the court for like the enitire game. Was amazed the refs seldom told him anything.

12. Opening music. the music was decent at best. Kinda a pop rock style with a decent beat, but it was Great by any means. I think they could do alot better. I sure wasnt wowed by it.

13. Kurt tomas was a non factor, he played like 4 min, but pop was intent on small ball and it worked. I kinda would like to see how we would do if we went big, but Dirk would be trouble, ,,,waut,,,he already is.lol

14. yes.....i was yelling "Bring back the Mango tree" most people just didnt get it. and only one guy said," Mango ...mango... mango!!"

15. Spurs D was great all game. Most the shots made were contested outside shots which im fine with. Dirk got more then his fair share of FT, but the ref's were being ticky tacky withhim.

ok 15 points and observations. was a hell of a game and the Technicals on AJ and Terry cost them dearly in the end. The spurs just kept their heads all game and pulled it out.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves now.

We won today, sure, and did so while shooting poorly and playing a very average game, but the point is that the Mavs seem to always do that to us - we play poorly against them more often than not.

The Mavs could easily have won today's game, so let's not have a great big circle jerk just yet...

When TP finds his game, the O is flowing again, and the D is playoff level for 48 minutes I'll start getting excited. However, all that is a while away.
I think it's different than before. I think it's good to enjoy our last two wins against the Mavs, even if they weren't with our A games.

jag
02-29-2008, 12:30 AM

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-29-2008, 12:31 AM
I think it's different than before. I think it's good to enjoy our last two wins against the Mavs, even if they weren't with our A games.

Sure, enjoy it, I'm just saying that writing the Mavs off (ie. "In Memoriam...") is a big mistake. If a couple of plays in the 4th didn't break our way we would've lost today. The Mavs aren't dead yet.

It's always great to beat them though! :D

whottt
02-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Sure, enjoy it, I'm just saying that writing the Mavs off (ie. "In Memoriam...") is a big mistake. If a couple of plays in the 4th didn't break our way we would've lost today. The Mavs aren't dead yet.

It's always great to beat them though! :D

And I'd have still made this thread...you know, for a guy who prides himself on his intellectualism you aren't really thinking on a very deep level here...it's changed.

You don't get it...I think the Mavs played well tonight, they arguably played better than we did...that's my entire point.

Can't turn the PG matchup from a stength to a weakness and expect to matchup better with a team.

It doesn't matter if the Mavs beat us again or not...it doesn't matter if they win the very next game...I'm telling you that the edge they have had against us since AJ became the headcoach is gone.........

This is the first time we have played poorly against the Mavs and not been blown out in years. It's just different now...

It's not an uphill battle anymore.

The Mavs get points on their own against us all day long...Kidd's assist don't mean much to them, a couple of easy baskets per game...

It's changed...the Mavs are just another good NBA team against us now...not the guys that have us by the balls...

T Park
02-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Whottt makes alot of sense.

Props Whottt IMO your winning the arguement :tu

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I lean towards Whottt's take. You can just see it by watching the last two games.

Even when the Spurs were down by 10, it felt like the Spurs played as if they were down 10 against a Cleveland or Minnesota in a regular season game.
The Spurs could make any play they wanted against the Mavs tonight when they needed it.
Spurs aren't afraid of the Mavs now that they're aware their machine built to stop them has slowly been crumbling.

The Spurs need to worry about them in the playoffs like they worried about Phoenix in 2005-2007. Just enough.

milkyway21
02-29-2008, 12:52 AM
It's not an uphill battle anymore.

"This game didn't mean much, we'll see them again,'' Dallas guard Jason Terry said. "We're still a work in progress.''

:lol

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/basketball/nba/img10674973.jpg

Findog
02-29-2008, 12:52 AM
This is good stuff.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-29-2008, 12:55 AM
This is good stuff.
:lol, true there's a Spurs bias in this thread, but we have to feel good about our team against your guys, since you've had our number for the last two years.

milkyway21
02-29-2008, 12:58 AM
meanwhile Harris debut a hero against the Bucks...

Findog
02-29-2008, 12:59 AM
:lol, true there's a Spurs bias in this thread, but we have to feel good about our team against your guys, since you've had our number for the last two years.

Well, yeah. Tony and Manu shot poorly, so did Dirk and Terry. I hate to invoke the Rasheed Wallace cliche, but it's true. This isn't the Spurs barely beating Minnesota by never getting out of second gear. They played it as high-intensity as it gets in the regular season. Has it occurred that maybe the reason San Antonio wasn't able to do EVERYTHING it wanted had something to do with Dallas? Some things are different on both sides now, but our most important players are still here. If there's anything holding us back, it's Terry's lack of composure and Avery's inexplicable decisions as coach.

Avery's a good coach, but he seems like the grinding, Mike Fratello type that eventually loses a lockerroom. Kidd took the P.C. route and said he supported the decision, but you know he's perturbed by it. Should we meet in the playoffs, it will be war. That HASN'T changed, no matter what whottt thinks.

T Park

A Spurs Bias in a thread being pro spurs, on the Spurs board.

Shocking.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
whottt, I understood your argument, and I agree with you that we no longer need to fear the Mavs like we used to because they simply don't present the matchup nightmares any more. They did play better than us tonight, hit some really difficult shots, and still lost.

However, I think writing them off right now is premature.

Kori Ellis
02-29-2008, 01:00 AM
The Mavericks are very good. So I'm not ready to bury them yet.

But ...

With Tony Parker not in game shape and Manu worn out and not able to throw it in the ocean in the second half, this was a sweet win.

I loved that Finley and Bowen were the ones to nail the Mavs and put them away.

In a playoff series, my money is on the Spurs but you gotta still have some respect for the Mavs talent.

whottt
02-29-2008, 01:02 AM
And you know why Kidd wasn't on the floor at the end? Becuase AJ couldn't run his Iso offense with Kidd out there...and he knows that's what gave the Mavs their edge against us.

Thing is...Devin Harris was a huge part of them being able to go Iso on us...I mean when you assume Dirk is going to get his because he's a Supertar...it's Devin Harris that was the problem, because he had a Superstar impact on us because of his ability to Iso on Parker(and defend him).

They can put Kidd out there all they want...it's still not going to be as effective as they've been when they went Iso on us for the last 2 years...AJ knew that was the Spurs weakness, because he knows their D inside and out, that's what the Mavs have been doing to us for 2 years that had even die hard Spur fans hoping they ran intot he Warriors before us in thye post season...and that's why Kidd wasn't out there.

Kidd will be out there in the future, but that won't be an advantage against us, kryptonite to our D, like it was with Harris.

I'm not sure if we should send the thank you note to Mark Cuban or Don Nelson...I'm thinking Nelson...he's the reason the Spur Killing Mavs have been deconstructed.

Mavfan, best to pay Nelly his money...he may not know jack shit about how to win an NBA title, but he's smart enough to take a team he knew like the back of his hand apart at the seams...

He won. He completely fucked you guys...you better hope LA or Phoenix takes us out in the post season, because you won't be doing it...you don't even have a youth edge against us....

Findog
02-29-2008, 01:05 AM
And you know why Kidd wasn't on the floor at the end? .

Because Avery is an idiot. Or still a Spur. I can't decide which.

Kori Ellis
02-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Because Avery is an idiot. Or still a Spur. I can't decide which.

If you saw his jersey retirement ceremony, you'd know the answer :smokin

whottt
02-29-2008, 01:10 AM
If you saw his jersey retirement ceremony, you'd know the answer :smokin

Aha! So there was a method to Pop's madness!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-29-2008, 01:15 AM
A Spurs Bias in a thread being pro spurs, on the Spurs board.

Shocking.
Of course. But I was just being mindful of the better Mavs fans on here on gamenight.
There's a little bit of Spurs homerism after these kind of "statement game" wins.

Warlord23
02-29-2008, 01:15 AM
As a Spur fan I don't see much to crow about after this game. I kept waiting through the first 3 quarters for the Spurs to hit the next gear and pull away, but it didn't happen. We seemed to have the better talent but were unable to knock down our open shots throughout the first half. The refs seem to call fouls far too easily on whoever defends Dirk, and it happens so regularly we just have to accept it as a fact of life that the flopping vagina will get ticky-tack calls.

Somehow the Mavs always seem to raise their game against us. Bass looked like a stud tonight knocking down the 18-footers and putting it on the floor against Duncan. Howard exploited Finley whenever he could. Devean freaking George, a scrub to the nth degree, was making some off-balance shit that he jacked up. I mean they were up 10 before Terry remembered he was a little bitch and started throwing a hissy fit.

The Mavs are still a threat. Hopefully Parker and Manu will be a bigger factor in our rematch in Big D.

J.T.
02-29-2008, 06:08 AM
As a Spur fan I don't see much to crow about after this game. I kept waiting through the first 3 quarters for the Spurs to hit the next gear and pull away, but it didn't happen. We seemed to have the better talent but were unable to knock down our open shots throughout the first half.

You pretty much answered your own question right there. The Spurs spotty shooting in the first half should have put them down by 20. Instead they were tied.

Somehow the Mavs always seem to raise their game against us.

Exactly. The Mavs play us like they're the 1996 Chicago Bulls. For us to miss shots like that and Dirk to shoot one less free throw than our whole team, and us to win the game is a huge accomplishment. The Mavs are not a bad team, but they play us tough and I agree that we would have typically lost a game like this against the old Mavs.

polandprzem
02-29-2008, 06:12 AM

:D

hehe
:tu

Findog
02-29-2008, 08:40 AM
You pretty much answered your own question right there. The Spurs spotty shooting in the first half should have put them down by 20. Instead they were tied.

The Mavs rarely blow the Spurs out. Dirk and Terry shot the ball poorly too. Dirk's not going to shoot 20 FTs again, but he's not going to go 5-15 from the floor either. Give our D some credit, most of those shots were contested.

LEONARD
02-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Same old Mavs - Spurs...down to the last shot...

ManuTastic
02-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Dirk got his whistles; he always will. For some reason the league loves this guy. So don't count on that stopping any time soon.

Another bright spot for the Spurs:
Once Kurt Thomas gets up to speed on the defensive system, he can put in good minutes. We still have him and Barry in the wings.

And I totally agree: Kidd is much easier to guard than Harris. Just sag off him like Manu did. Parker is so happy about it he actually broke the unwritten law and gave his honest reaction to the press!

phxspurfan
02-29-2008, 01:31 PM
And you know why Kidd wasn't on the floor at the end? Becuase AJ couldn't run his Iso offense with Kidd out there...and he knows that's what gave the Mavs their edge against us.

Does this mean we don't have to go after that long 3 anymore? What other team could kill us with this strategy? Certainly the Cavs can't.

Agloco
02-29-2008, 01:44 PM

All examples of situations with an unknown factor at play. Not so with the Mavs. We know what were getting there. It ain't like China or some other deus-ex machina is going to intervene on behalf of the Mavs, or like Cuban is some great orator able to rally millions to his side. Also, the Spurs, unlike the Whermacht won't get sidetracked into thinking the regular season is where it's at. they will keep their eyes on the proper objective: The box of Larry O's......

timvp
02-29-2008, 07:31 PM
I have to agree with the premise of this thread. Before the Kidd trade, the Mavs owned the Spurs. If both teams played well, the Mavs would win. The Spurs needed to substantially outplay the Mavs just for it to be a close game.

The 2006 Mavs were the only team in the Duncan era that eliminated the Spurs with less talent. That Mavs team was decent but the Spurs were more talented. Duncan is better than Dirk. Ginobili and Parker are more talented than Howard, Terry and Harris combined. It's just that the Mavs, as constructed prior to the Kidd trade, were built specifically to beat the Spurs.

When they traded for Harris, they all but said it was to go against Parker. Dampier and Diop were brought on board to push Duncan around. Even Terry was a Spurs killer before he ever got to the Mavs.

What the Spurs do defensively is make you shoot contested two-pointers while not allowing you to rack up as many assists as you'd like. So what the Mavs did was build a team that thrived off of what the Spurs allowed. The Spurs took away assists? The Mavs didn't care because they were an isolation team. The Spurs took away three-point looks? Didn't matter because Dirk no longer relied on three-pointers.

The pre-Kidd Mavs were the Spurs' kryptonite. It was funny that the Mavs lost to the Warriors last year but I'd say they had about a 60% to 70% chance of beating the Spurs. This season, prior to the Kidd trade I'd say the Mavs still had the Spurs' number.

Now? The Mavs are still a very good team and they are still capable of beating the Spurs but they are no longer built to beat the Spurs. If the two teams face off in the playoffs, the Spurs are no longer the underdog. It's more like 50/50 or 60/40 Spurs.

2centsworth
02-29-2008, 07:40 PM
I just don't see it the way others see the matchup. I saw the Spurs lose to the 2006 Mavs with some robberies in Dallas, and a bone head play by Manu. That's in no way having the Spurs number. I do agree the Mavs were built to compete against the Spurs with Harris and Diop. Now the Mavs are easily 5-10 points worse than the Spurs. I see 4-2 max in the playoffs.

2centsworth
02-29-2008, 07:41 PM
I just don't see it the way others see the matchup. I saw the Spurs lose to the 2006 Mavs with some robberies in Dallas, and a bone head play by Manu. That's in no way having the Spurs number. I do agree the Mavs were built to compete against the Spurs with Harris and Diop. Now the Mavs are easily 5-10 points worse than the Spurs. I see 4-2 max in the playoffs.

There's a difference between Spur fan being scared and the Mavs actually having the upper hand.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-29-2008, 07:51 PM
The Mavs rarely blow the Spurs out. Dirk and Terry shot the ball poorly too. Dirk's not going to shoot 20 FTs again, but he's not going to go 5-15 from the floor either. Give our D some credit, most of those shots were contested.

Um, no. In the first half I can think of at least 5 wide open corner 3s that were missed, not to mention other wide open jumpers. That's what the poster was talking about.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-29-2008, 07:54 PM
I have to agree with the premise of this thread. Before the Kidd trade, the Mavs owned the Spurs. If both teams played well, the Mavs would win. The Spurs needed to substantially outplay the Mavs just for it to be a close game.

The 2006 Mavs were the only team in the Duncan era that eliminated the Spurs with less talent. That Mavs team was decent but the Spurs were more talented. Duncan is better than Dirk. Ginobili and Parker are more talented than Howard, Terry and Harris combined. It's just that the Mavs, as constructed prior to the Kidd trade, were built specifically to beat the Spurs.

When they traded for Harris, they all but said it was to go against Parker. Dampier and Diop were brought on board to push Duncan around. Even Terry was a Spurs killer before he ever got to the Mavs.

What the Spurs do defensively is make you shoot contested two-pointers while not allowing you to rack up as many assists as you'd like. So what the Mavs did was build a team that thrived off of what the Spurs allowed. The Spurs took away assists? The Mavs didn't care because they were an isolation team. The Spurs took away three-point looks? Didn't matter because Dirk no longer relied on three-pointers.

The pre-Kidd Mavs were the Spurs' kryptonite. It was funny that the Mavs lost to the Warriors last year but I'd say they had about a 60% to 70% chance of beating the Spurs. This season, prior to the Kidd trade I'd say the Mavs still had the Spurs' number.

Now? The Mavs are still a very good team and they are still capable of beating the Spurs but they are no longer built to beat the Spurs. If the two teams face off in the playoffs, the Spurs are no longer the underdog. It's more like 50/50 or 60/40 Spurs.

Exactly. :tu

They are our nemesis no longer, but they're not dead and buried either.

Findog
03-01-2008, 03:00 AM
Um, no. In the first half I can think of at least 5 wide open corner 3s that were missed, not to mention other wide open jumpers. That's what the poster was talking about.

The Mavs missed about 7 open looks from great passes by Kidd. Sometimes guys miss from point-blank. It's part of the game. These two teams are still pretty evenly matched.

whottt
03-01-2008, 04:32 AM
The Mavs missed about 7 open looks from great passes by Kidd. Sometimes guys miss from point-blank. It's part of the game. These two teams are still pretty evenly matched.

You just don't get it...we matched up with you guys like you guys matched up with the Warriors...and now we don't.

Evenly matched indeed.

And btw...you'll probably beat the Warriors this time around so props.

danger
03-01-2008, 05:19 AM
whottt...just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and start this thread... and totally redeem yourself!

ludda
03-01-2008, 06:15 AM
We were never the Mavs' little bitches like they were to the Warriors. That 06 series could have gone either way, last I checked they hardly dominated us. But I agree with the general premise that Kidd is a much easier matchup for us.