View Full Version : Barry plans on return to Spurs

carina_gino20
02-29-2008, 01:35 AM
Sorry for creating yet another Barry thread. :lol

Barry plans on return to Spurs

Web Posted: 02/29/2008 12:25 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News

Not long after the Spurs' 97-94 victory over the Dallas Mavericks at AT&T Center, Brent Barry made it as official as he is allowed to by NBA rule: It is his intent to re-sign with the Spurs, just as soon as those rules allow.

"That is my intent, that's for sure," Barry said. "I hope things work out that way, and that's the way it stands now."

The Spurs traded Barry to the Seattle SuperSonics on Feb. 20, but the Sonics released him on Feb. 22 after participating in a three-way, 11-player trade with Chicago and Cleveland. He cleared waivers on Tuesday morning, becoming a free agent.

By NBA rule, though, a traded player cannot officially re-sign with the team that traded him for 30 days.

In addition to the Spurs, Barry was pursued by four of the NBA's elite teams: the Boston Celtics, Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks and Phoenix Suns.

One by one, he eliminated each suitor until the battle for his services came down to the Spurs and Suns. On Thursday he phoned Suns general manager Steve Kerr to let him know he was turning down their offer, believed to be for two years, starting at the veteran minimum salary of $1.215 million.

Kerr told the Arizona Republic about Barry's decision, adding that Barry was going to re-sign with the Spurs.

"That's not exactly true," Barry said of the report that a deal with the Spurs had been finalized, "but that is certainly my intent."

Asked to comment about an Arizona Republic report that quoted Kerr saying Barry would return to San Antonio, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich declined comment.

Asked if Barry was, or wasn't, coming back, Popovich said, "You'll have to ask Brent."

Barry answered the question a few minutes later, and his teammates were pleased to hear the news.

"He's a consummate pro and a good guy." Michael Finley said. "Plus, he's a heck of a basketball player."

Manu Ginobili said he won't be truly relieved until the deal is finalized, but was nonetheless pleased about Barry's announced intentions.

"Until I see him in here, working out with us and practicing with us, I'm not going to be completely happy," he said "But he is a big part of what we do, and he knows we like him and want him back."

Barry's teammates valued his ability to keep them laughing. He was popular enough to get them to participate in elaborately staged, videotaped skits for the team's annual fundraising event, lip-synching Broadway tunes.

"I must like him a lot to want a guy back who made me dress up like Evita," said Ginobili, who had donned a white dress for his role in the Barry-produced video clip. :lol

ancestron
02-29-2008, 01:37 AM
This calls for a few pink elephants :elephant :elephant :elephant

Tigole Bitties
woohoo! welcome back, Bones

T Park
"That's not exactly true," Barry said of the report that a deal with the Spurs had been finalized, "but that is certainly my intent

WTF is that!??!?

Radiosparks
02-29-2008, 01:38 AM
"I must like him a lot to want a guy back who made me dress up like Evita," said Ginobili, who had donned a white dress for his role in the Barry-produced video clip.

Hahhaahhahaa.... I wish someone would leak that out. :lol

ancestron
WTF is that!??!?

CIA Barry :lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
Cool, we have Barry to think for those skits! Not surprising he helped to orchestrate it.

circ
02-29-2008, 01:40 AM
hip hip....
everybody now...

Kori Ellis
WTF is that!??!?

Brent Barry made it as official as he is allowed to by NBA rule: It is his intent to re-sign with the Spurs,

Dingle Barry
:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

whottt
02-29-2008, 01:41 AM
WTF is that!??!?

It means he can't sign with the Spurs yet.

Finalized deal = signed contract

timvp
02-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Barry has some CIA skills. Impressive :tu

He could transfer well into a Danny Ferry type role after his playing days. However, he'll probably just want to surf.

whottt
02-29-2008, 01:44 AM
"I must like him a lot to want a guy back who made me dress up like Evita,"

Smeagol and Manumaniac are gong to go crazy when they find out Manu is a Peronist.

carina_gino20
02-29-2008, 01:44 AM
WTF is that!??!?

No deal has been finalized. But he intends to sign with the Spurs.

Random thought: What's happened to Cisco since?

Medvedenko
02-29-2008, 01:45 AM
Was this ever in doubt. Unlike Stacks debacle....Barry and his agent know the real way of operating a buyout and comeback. Good for him and the spurs.

T Park
02-29-2008, 01:50 AM
Barry has some CIA skills. Impressive :tu

He could transfer well into a Danny Ferry type role after his playing days. However, he'll probably just want to surf.

Honestly, as smart as he is, it would be nice if he became a coach.

timvp
02-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Honestly, as smart as he is, it would be nice if he became a coach.He's too funny to coach.

whottt
02-29-2008, 01:54 AM
He'd be Mike D'antoni part 2...get serious.

Will work great with Sean in the broadcast booth though :tu

T Park
02-29-2008, 01:54 AM
The team would stink, but hell the press conferences would be great :tu

sabar
02-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Barry definitely needs to get into broadcasting Spurs games!

T Park
02-29-2008, 01:56 AM
He'd be Mike D'antoni part 2...get serious.

Will work great with Sean in the broadcast booth though :tu

Come on, give Barry some kind of credit.

God, thats a white glove across the face if I've ever seen one.

Herschel Walker
02-29-2008, 01:58 AM
Barry doesn't have the demeanor for coaching. Surfing and Barry seem to fit like Suns fan and crying.

dav4463
02-29-2008, 02:15 AM
I am so glad. I was kind of depressed when I heard Barry got traded.

Obstructed_View
02-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Considering how much better he played when he was ALMOST traded, I can't wait to see how he plays when he comes back after ACTUALLY being traded. :)

inconvertible
02-29-2008, 02:25 AM
the spurs are gonna be one loaded team after he comes back......damn. what looked like a tidal wave of trades to deal with the spurs, ended up back firing on everyone.

Budkin
02-29-2008, 02:27 AM
What a great guy... man it's a relief to have him back!

MagnusKrauss
02-29-2008, 03:07 AM
maybe he can be a shooting coach?

duncan228
02-29-2008, 03:22 AM
Hahhaahhahaa.... I wish someone would leak that out. :lol

Here are some of them.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87305

carina_gino20
02-29-2008, 03:28 AM
Here are some of them.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87305

Those links don't work anymore. They were taken end of last week. Too bad I only got to save Tim's, Bruce's and the short one with Tony and Eva. I hope someone uploads all of them again, now including the Manu and Fab segment. If anyone wants a copy of the three I mentioned, I can upload them somewhere else for you to download.

milkyway21
02-29-2008, 03:34 AM
Barry's teammates valued his ability to keep them laughing. He was popular enough to get them to participate in elaborately staged, videotaped skits for the team's annual fundraising event, lip-synching Broadway tunes.

"I must like him a lot to want a guy back who made me dress up like Evita," said Ginobili, who had donned a white dress for his role in the Barry-produced video clip.

No wonder Manu called Brent to assure he's welcome to come back to the team :lmao :lmao

OMG, I just cant help myself laughing imagining Manu in a dress.

Tek_XX
02-29-2008, 03:37 AM
This was probably planned from day 1. Stackhouse this is how you do it.

duncan228
02-29-2008, 03:48 AM
Those links don't work anymore. They were taken end of last week. Too bad I only got to save Tim's, Bruce's and the short one with Tony and Eva. I hope someone uploads all of them again, now including the Manu and Fab segment. If anyone wants a copy of the three I mentioned, I can upload them somewhere else for you to download.

I should have checked them. :oops

I'd love the Duncan if you can get it. :)

carina_gino20
02-29-2008, 04:37 AM
I should have checked them. :oops

I'd love the Duncan if you can get it. :)

check your PM. :)

Manu-of-steel
02-29-2008, 05:53 AM
you made the right decision, brent. playing with this team, the spurs, is irresistable because you know you had great times with us. We have the best basketball team, win or lose, we are a team. Thank you for your decision. Now, line up all of those contenders- we'll take them down one by one. Go spurs, go!

m33p0
02-29-2008, 06:10 AM
Brent and the Spurs just showing the kids how this is done.
:clap