PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Still the same in Dallas - Johnson can't let go

THE SIXTH MAN
02-29-2008, 01:37 AM
Buck Harvey: Still the same in Dallas - Johnson can't let go

Web Posted: 02/29/2008 12:30 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

Avery Johnson coached for the first time in his career with his No. 6 in the rafters. Maybe that explains why he all but wore the jersey.

Maybe that explains why the former point guard subbed out his Hall of Fame point guard. He took control of the floor just as he always did before here.

But nothing explains this.

In the final seconds, Johnson sat down the one the Mavericks traded their future for, the instinctive winner brought in to make everyone forget past playoff chokes, the 35-year-old who has played in a few last-second moments before.

No. 6 sat down No. 2 in the Dallas program and No. 1 on Mark Cuban's payroll. Jason Kidd.

Kidd did play 35 minutes with his customary 10 assists, and he changed the look of the Mavericks. But his appearance didn't change the look of the rivalry. Squint, and this was the 2006 playoffs all over again.

Tim Duncan rolled to the basket for 31 points, albeit without plantar fasciitis. Jason Terry had some anger issues. And Michael Finley again gave Cuban his money's worth.

Then there was Dirk Nowitzki. As it was then, he was unguardable.

The Spurs tried five different defenders on him, and Nowitzki's jerky cleverness created 21 free throws. In Game 3 of the 2006 series Nowitzki attempted more free throws (24) and made more (21) than anyone in Dallas playoff history.

The Spurs protested several calls Thursday night while they clawed at him, and the Mavericks had the right to think Nowitzki should have had a few more. On a late drive it appeared Tony Parker grabbed him.

But as it also was two years ago, Johnson couldn't let that go, either. Afterward he said the game had "shifts for several reasons."

Asked what those reasons were, he answered, "Watch the tape."

Johnson mentioned Parker's tug, and he added an Erick Dampier foul on Duncan. Dampier has his "hands straight up," Johnson said.

Maybe he's right on all of it. But on a night when Nowitzki shot just one fewer free throw than all of the Spurs combined, should officiating be his beef?

If anything, his players should be the ones with a complaint. With 34.5 seconds left, Duncan threw in two free throws after the Dampier "hands straight up" foul. Down by that difference, Johnson called time.

In came Jerry Stackhouse. Out came Kidd.

Just nine days ago, in the wake of the trade, Johnson saw Kidd going in the opposite direction. "He knows how to finish games," Johnson said then, "and that's what we're looking for."

Gregg Popovich compares Kidd to Manu Ginobili, and there were other similarities Thursday. Ginobili, on his way to missing 14 shots, had Kidd's touch.

Popovich naturally sees these two in the best terms. He called Kidd "fearless," and he said he has the "same juice" as Ginobili. "They would have been great warriors in the middle ages," Popovich said.

Kidd is nearly old enough to have played then, so he wouldn't be stumped by whatever sets the Mavericks run. Johnson, too, said his newness to the team wasn't why he benched him.

Instead, Johnson said, "We wanted to spread the floor and give Dirk more room to operate."

That's not illogical strategy. Popovich does the same when trying to free Duncan and, again, Kidd is a notoriously poor shooter.

But if Johnson felt this way, the Mavericks should have never made this trade. The deal cost Dallas both a young talent in Devin Harris and a lot of Cuban's money.

Johnson didn't feel this way when Dallas made the trade, of course. "He's going to help us, because at the end of games he just knows how to win," Johnson gushed on at the time. "A big steal, a big block, a big rebound, big three, his penetration."

The Mavericks shot three times in those final 34.5 seconds, and on the final time there was penetration. But Terry was the one who made it, and Bruce Bowen blocked his shot.

Kidd has spent a career specializing in these kinds of broken plays.

So why didn't Johnson let him?

He couldn't help himself. Going back to his days in San Antonio, No. 6 was always most comfortable being in charge.

[email protected]

link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022908.01D.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.2315461.html)

Findog
02-29-2008, 01:40 AM
I believe Avery wanted to run 60 Stretch FarLaaaaaaaaahhh

Seriously, so what if the Spurs sag off Kidd? His midrange jumper sucks, but he's not a horrible 3-point shooter. If he wants to salvage his credibility, he has to take responsibility for blowing it instead of blaming the refs. Losers whine about calls, Champions earn calls. You're not getting a borderline call on the road at the end of the game.

Findog
02-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Jason Kidd for 6th man of the year!

T Park
02-29-2008, 01:45 AM
Gregg Popovich compares Kidd to Manu Ginobili, and there were other similarities Thursday. Ginobili, on his way to missing 14 shots, had Kidd's touch

:lol

Zing

THE SIXTH MAN
02-29-2008, 01:47 AM
And Michael Finley again gave Cuban his money's worth.
True. :lol

ChumpDumper
02-29-2008, 01:49 AM
AJ is saying he would have taken himself out of games at crunch time.

whottt
02-29-2008, 01:50 AM
Luckily for AJ Kidd is an even tempered guy who doesn't hold grudges or have issues with his coaches :tu

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-29-2008, 01:51 AM
Johnson didn't feel this way when Dallas made the trade, of course. "He's going to help us, because at the end of games he just knows how to win," Johnson gushed on at the time. "A big steal, a big block, a big rebound, big three, his penetration."

What a great and apt quote, Buck :lmao @ AJ

sabar
Gregg Popovich compares Kidd to Manu Ginobili, and there were other similarities Thursday. Ginobili, on his way to missing 14 shots, had Kidd's touch.

Haha, ouch!

T Park
Luckily for AJ Kidd is an even tempered guy who doesn't hold grudges or have issues with his coaches :tu

Ahhh

I see what you did there....

Obstructed_View
02-29-2008, 01:54 AM
Meanwhile, Devin Harris has 21 points, 5 assists, 1 steal and only 1 turnover in 21 minutes off the bench for the Nets.

ludda
02-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Im just glad more people are seeing what I've always said about Avery: overhyped, annoying and whiny as a coach.

T Park
02-29-2008, 01:57 AM
I still think Avery would be the perfect coach to take over for Pop.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-29-2008, 01:59 AM
I still think Avery would be the perfect coach to take over for Pop.
How so?
I don't remember Pop complaining about the refs, even in his "young" coaching days..

The Truth #6
02-29-2008, 02:01 AM
That was a good article by Buck. He's right - AJ has to micro-manage.

T Park
02-29-2008, 02:01 AM
Outside influences my friend, outside influences.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-29-2008, 02:03 AM
That was a good article by Buck. He's right - AJ has to micro-manage.
:tu Yeah it was a real good read.

Buck>>>>>>>>that sorry sack of shit McDonald.

sabar
02-29-2008, 02:06 AM
They would have been great warriors in the middle ages," Popovich said.

Kidd is nearly old enough to have played then

Buck's showing no mercy!

Obstructed_View
02-29-2008, 02:07 AM
I don't know if I'm willing to bet my basketball team on that. It's gonna end ugly in Dallas, we'll see what is said after the bloodletting.

Dingle Barry
02-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Holy chit. Harvery just journalistically fisted Avery Johnson's ass.

inconvertible
02-29-2008, 02:31 AM
dude just got there, let him learn some plays and shit....please. this guy gets paid to come up with bullshit like that.

give them another week and Kidd won't be coming out of games.....this guy is stupid.

Tek_XX
02-29-2008, 03:07 AM
I wonder if Kidd was getting migraines while he was being sat for the last play?

ShoogarBear
02-29-2008, 03:11 AM

Popovich naturally sees these two in the best terms. He called Kidd "fearless," and he said he has the "same juice" as Ginobili. "They would have been great warriors in the middle ages," Popovich said.

I've been saying this for years. Manu is a better shooter, and Kidd is a better passer and defender, but otherwise they are very similar in their effect on the game.

timvp
02-29-2008, 03:16 AM
When the Mavs traded for Kidd, they basically fired AJ at the same time. The only thing that can save AJ now is a championship. Otherwise Kidd will have AJ fired either this summer or sometime next season.

The only remaining question is whether AJ will come to San Antonio to be an assistant for Pop. I hope he does.

ludda
02-29-2008, 03:19 AM
Avery is not a good coach for a team like the Mavs. He's made constant references to Duncan and the Spurs system, but his main players couldn't be farther from opposite from our system and players.

If mavs don't do well this season, I'm sure Avery will be booted. As he should, he's been exposed in the playoffs and I never understood the hype around him being a great coach.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-29-2008, 05:42 AM
dude just got there, let him learn some plays and shit....please. this guy gets paid to come up with bullshit like that.

give them another week and Kidd won't be coming out of games.....this guy is stupid.
I like how the in-game commentators covered for Avery's decision, "oh Kidd's probably out because he's not acclimated to the plays" and some actually bought that angle.

I thought Avery Johnson said on the first day of Kidd's arrival, something about there not being time for Kidd to get acquainted and that he's just going to play immediately, because he's already a seasoned Vet and one of the best point guards in the league...and that's how much AJ trusts Kidd to perform?

AJ left him out because he didn't trust his shooting because he used bad judgment, not because he didn't think Kidd was acquainted with the plays, otherwise he would have said that in his post-game statement. Instead he admitted he wanted to spread the floor (even though Damp was in the game).

ChuckD
02-29-2008, 08:34 AM
At one point, I would have been OK with AJ here on the bench, but he caught The Cuban Disease, and like AIDS, it's incurable. All that whining about the refs does is give your team an "out" to lose big games in the future. After all, they can just blame the refs. See: D'Antoni, Mike.

jmard5
02-29-2008, 08:47 AM
But if Johnson felt this way, the Mavericks should have never made this trade. The deal cost Dallas both a young talent in Devin Harris and a lot of Cuban's money.

Ouch.

lonestr
02-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Avery is not a good coach for a team like the Mavs. He's made constant references to Duncan and the Spurs system, but his main players couldn't be farther from opposite from our system and players.

If mavs don't do well this season, I'm sure Avery will be booted. As he should, he's been exposed in the playoffs and I never understood the hype around him being a great coach.

I agree with you Ludda, AJ is geared for a Spurs system and takes pride in having been part of the system. With the advent of teams hiring former Spurs staff members and adopting certain Spurs ways, AJ will be highly sought after if the Mavs give him the axe. I'm sure Steve Kerr would make an offer to be head coach of the Suns. Those who would pick him up as an immediate assistant would be: Portland, Seattle, and Cleveland.

remingtonbo2001
02-29-2008, 09:34 AM

Just his ex-wife.

Ghost Writer
02-29-2008, 10:11 AM
First of all, I can't believe how scathingly one-sided Buck Harvey is! Does he hate the Mavs that much?

(Harvey should have mentioned the ridiculous phantom foul that was called on Udoka when Dirk tripped over his own feet.)

That was a very bold move by AJ to leave Kidd out in crunch time. I don't care if Kidd is not familiar with the set plays yet; like Harvey said, Kidd has positive intangible instincts like Ginobili.

I see that substitution as a coach trying to over-manage to the point of direct defiance to his front office.

monosylab1k
02-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Meanwhile, Devin Harris has 21 points, 5 assists, 1 steal and only 1 turnover in 21 minutes off the bench for the Nets.
And we all know that San Antonio is almost as good as the Indiana Pacers.

Bruno
02-29-2008, 11:07 AM
I believe Avery wanted to run 60 Stretch FarLaaaaaaaaahhh

:lol

SenorSpur
02-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Local Dallas talk show radio is hot today with many of the callers wanting Avery's head "on a stick".

mardigan
02-29-2008, 12:26 PM
AJ is an idiot. To big of an ego. You take your best playmaker out to spread the floor for Dirk with a shooter? Thats fine, except that Kidd shoots a higher 3point% than everyone on the court except Terry. And after the Mavs got those offensive rebounds at the end of the game, they had no idea what to do. Avery is on his way to getting fired.

wildbill2u
02-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Down to the final seconds and needing 3 to win, Pop usually puts in five guys who can hit the three or maybe 4 and Duncan (hoping for a 2+1).

ducks
02-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I am almost certain aj will be the suns new coach

Agloco
02-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Just like I thought, Kiid is paying immediate dividends for the Spurs......

Tony played like ass.
Manu played like ass.
Dirk went to the line. A lot.
Kidd sits during the most important play of the game.

Spurs win.

Does it get any better? :hat

Brutalis
02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
When the Mavs traded for Kidd, they basically fired AJ at the same time. The only thing that can save AJ now is a championship. Otherwise Kidd will have AJ fired either this summer or sometime next season.

The only remaining question is whether AJ will come to San Antonio to be an assistant for Pop. I hope he does.
Well he won't get another gig cause Cuban firing him will make damn sure his credibility is whacked. I don't see any other job for him he could get.

PM5K
02-29-2008, 02:53 PM

I don't know if it's what you mean but Johnson wouldn't complain as much if at all if he were a coach here.

I'd guess that it's just not the philosophy of the coaches and owners, and I certainly think it's worked pretty well...

1Parker1
02-29-2008, 03:13 PM
I really don't like Avery's "subtle" whining about how the game was refereed as part of the blame. This is why I think Avery is such an overated coach.

I bet you today, he is still thinking that he made the right decision in leaving out Kidd and that if it weren't for "bad non-calls" they would have won the game. But that's not the attitude to have.

Obstructed_View
02-29-2008, 06:48 PM
And we all know that San Antonio is almost as good as the Indiana Pacers.
And it wasn't his first game back from an injury or anything, so he gets no credit for anything other than the record of the competition, even though we were all told not to mention the records of the bad teams Kidd was racking up assists against.

I thought Devin Harris couldn't run an offense or get assists, but I guess a player looks better putting up numbers against the eastern conference every night.

How those sour grapes tasting?

GSH
02-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Down to the final seconds and needing 3 to win, Pop usually puts in five guys who can hit the three or maybe 4 and Duncan (hoping for a 2+1).

It's just not that black-and-white. Benoh often had a better 3-point percentage than the players Pop put on the floor in those situations. But he sure as hell wasn't a go-to guy.

The difference is, Terry tried to force up that shot even though Bowen had him smothered. Kidd would have dished it. More than that, he would have known where his teammates were on the floor, and dished it to someone who had a better chance of getting a good shot off. I'm not saying the Spurs couldn't have defended if Kidd had been in the game. The point is, Terry didn't recognize that he was in trouble. Kidd would have.

Agloco
02-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Well, hell.....

Since everyone is calling for AJ's head on a stick, perhaps you Mav fans should start calling for Cubans balls on a platter as well. Kinda like meat and potato kabobs for the Maverick fans still hungering for a championship.

Lord knows hes done enough shady shit of late to bring shame on the organization.

Obstructed_View
02-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Something you'll rarely hear Chuck Cooperstein say:

"Nice dish by Jason Terry"

Not being afraid to take a last second shot and being too stupid to pass back to your teammates under any circumstances are two completely different things.