PDA

View Full Version : Is Avery the man for the job?

monosylab1k
02-29-2008, 09:42 AM
He's getting skewered by the entire city of Dallas right now.

His image is changing from a smart young coach to him being a tyrant, egomaniac, and control freak.

He's made poor decision after poor decision in games that really matter. In fact, when was the last time someone said "That was a good call by Avery"? I honestly cannot remember.

If a guy like Larry Brown is available, do we go with a proven winner?

www.fireavery.com

monosylab1k
02-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Firing him this season shouldn't be an option, but if this team fails and there's a lot of questionable coaching decisions, like in the Miami/GS series', then Avery absolutely must be replaced.

And would it hurt him to keep his freakin composure a little better than Jason Terry does? Avery is supposed to be the one calming his guys down. Instead, Kidd is the one doing that and Avery is making things worse.

fitzgerald
02-29-2008, 10:03 AM
I have already expressed my opinions of Avery after last year. With this group in hand, we need a veteran coach. One that can make quick on the fly adjustments that can impact the game. He is still learning and has the potential to be good later on, not sure about right now.

johngateswhiteley
02-29-2008, 10:42 AM
...i don't think dallas is as good without Avery.

endrity
02-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Where've you been mono. Just because the nat. media tells you it's all Dirk's fault, Mavs better have known better for a long time.

Findog
02-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Avery is a good coach and will be in this league for a long time, but he strikes me as in the Mike Fratello/Larry Brown/Bill Parcells mold, where they can improve a team and make instant impact, but eventually grind the lockerroom down. I agree that his job is on the line this postseason.

Findog
02-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Last I heard, Larry Brown is currently playing shuffleboard and eating dinner at IHOP at 4 pm.

monosylab1k
02-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Where've you been mono. Just because the nat. media tells you it's all Dirk's fault, Mavs better have known better for a long time.
Just because it's the national media doesn't mean they're completely wrong.

I realize that on your Mav fan We Love Dirk message boards, they're defending him to the death. And they're wrong too.

Dirk deserves a ton of the blame. In the end, basketball is a game won and lost by it's stars. That was emphasized a lot last night.

Coaching can help or hurt, but the Golden State series blame goes 60% to Dirk. If he plays agains the Warriors like he played last night, attacking the rim and fighting the entire time, instead of giving up, the Mavs win last year. Dirk played soft and intimidated last year, bottom line. Avery's coaching, however, didn't help.

My problem now is that Avery isn't even putting his best players, and his stars, out on the court.

Allanon
02-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Larry Brown will be coaching next year...I'm pretty sure of it...his name has been mentioned way too much to be coincidence.

JET and Avery were responsible for throwing that game away yesterday...especially that idiotic sequence when they were up by 10. WTH was he thinking? When you're up 10 with momentum on your side, you STFU.

Avery's job is on the line depending on where this season goes but I'm thinking he's done.

ElNono
02-29-2008, 11:51 AM
WTH was he thinking? When you're up 10 with momentum on your side, you STFU.

That's JET for you. He's a weak minded idiot. There's a huge difference between being an emotional player (like Dirk last night shouting 'motherfurher' or however you say it in german) and allowing people to easily get into your head. His comments after the game only highlight how stupid he is: "This game didn't mean much, we'll see them again". Which translates to: My butt hurts, especially since I think I'm a tough guy.

LakeShow
02-29-2008, 12:06 PM
That was the dumbest thing I have ever seen Avery do. We need a poll on who gets fired first, Avery or D'Antoni?

Findog
02-29-2008, 12:07 PM
That was the dumbest thing I have ever seen Avery do. We need a poll on who gets fired first, Avery or D'Antoni?

Should the Mavs and Lakers meet in the playoffs, I'm not so worried about the gap between Kobe and Dirk but the gap between Jackson and Avery.

LakeShow
02-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Should the Mavs and Lakers meet in the playoffs, I'm not so worried about the gap between Kobe and Dirk but the gap between Jackson and Avery.

That is an understandable worry. Avery making boneheaded decision like that, you might have to extend that worry to every coach that makes the playoffs. I just don't get that. :dizzy

ludda
02-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Avery is one of the most overrated coaches in the NBA. Slowly, but surely his inepititude is being shown (though you'd think by being completely kicked in the ass by Nellie, more people would have realized this)

mardigan
02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Avery has to big of an ego. He lost that game last night imo, and is quickly starting to add nails to his coaching coffin.