PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Are Sexy Again... San Antonio Who??

Kent_in_Atlanta
02-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Who are the defending champs?? Oh... yeah, I almost forgot (I've been listening to a lot of national media lately).

Last night on Inside the NBA, Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley declared that the Lakers are now the best team in the west.

Here we go again. Time to overlook the Spurs and bet on the sexier team. Last year, it was Phoenix... this year, it's the Lakers.

Whadya think? Are the Spurs old and tired... or have they simply succeeded once again in lulling the talking heads to sleep?

O-Factor
02-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Its so sweet to prove these media types wrong. Im dissapointed in you Chuck. :pctoss

Agloco
02-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Who are the defending champs?? Oh... yeah, I almost forgot (I've been listening to a lot of national media lately).

Last night on Inside the NBA, Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley declared that the Lakers are now the best team in the west.

Here we go again. Time to overlook the Spurs and bet on the sexier team. Last year, it was Phoenix... this year, it's the Lakers.

Whadya think? Are the Spurs old and tired... or have they simply succeeded once again in lulling the talking heads to sleep?

Good. Flying under the radar is what the Spurs do best. Who cares what the "experts" think.

Until someone beats us, the Spurs are the champs, and the champs are the ones to beat. End of story.

Interesting though. Chuck usually rides the Spurs nuts. Wonder what got into him, besides another Whopper......

Sausage
02-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Anyone can look good against Miami this year.

nkdlunch
02-29-2008, 01:53 PM
you want to have sex with the Lakers?

dbreiden83080
02-29-2008, 02:03 PM
The Lakers are playing awesome but we have to see how they do with that unproven group in a 7 game series with the likes of Dallas, the Suns and of course the Spurs. They look like they will dominate the rest of the season that does not mean they will do it come playoff time.

Rummpd
02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
I so want a Lakers series. Spurs in 6.

ancestron
02-29-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't know about the Lakers, but Paloma definitely.

SAGambler
02-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I figured Sir Charles would be back on the Spurs Wagon by last night. But I guess he is enamoured with the Lakeshow now. You would think he would know better. Kobe, Fish and the coach the only ones with any playoff experience on that team. And everyone knows how soft Gasol can become.

I think a lot of this is based on how good Bynum will be when (if) he comes back. How much will the layoff affected him? How much will the injury affected him? They are guessing that he will pick up where he left off. That may or may not be the case. Only time will tell.

Right now my money is on Spurs/Pistons Final. And that should prove to be one hell of a series. Maybe better than the 05 one. Sheed seems to be playing better than ever and also seems to have learned some self control along the way.

Guajalote
02-29-2008, 04:32 PM
It's never the ones you notice that get you.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x309/Guajalote/f117stealthfighter.jpg

spursfan09
02-29-2008, 04:43 PM
I don't think any team can be sexy with Animal, err Pau Gasol in thier team.

I will say this out of everybody hyped up over the Spurs, at least the Lakers actually have a chance.

koose
02-29-2008, 04:49 PM
The Lakers will not win the west. They cannot beat the mavs, spurs, or Jazz. I think they can beat the Sun's. The Sun's don't know what the word defense means. They traded their best defender for a busted up Shaq. Pau Gasol is so overrated. Peopl are talking about what a great February they have had since Gasol got there. Look at that schedule. It was against a bunch of bad teams except Phoenix.

Medvedenko
02-29-2008, 05:01 PM
The Lakers are playing awesome but we have to see how they do with that unproven group in a 7 game series with the likes of Dallas, the Suns and of course the Spurs. They look like they will dominate the rest of the season that does not mean they will do it come playoff time.

Yup good point.

I do remember when the Pistons played the lakers in 04 though.....they didn't really have a lot of experiene either and they took it to us. Still, experience is key and the spurs have it in spades.

Strike
02-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Chuck usually rides the Spurs nuts. Wonder what got into him, besides another Whopper......

Another Double Whopper. :elephant

MajicMan
02-29-2008, 05:05 PM
The Lakers will not win the west. They cannot beat the mavs, spurs, or Jazz. I think they can beat the Sun's. The Sun's don't know what the word defense means. They traded their best defender for a busted up Shaq. Pau Gasol is so overrated. Peopl are talking about what a great February they have had since Gasol got there. Look at that schedule. It was against a bunch of bad teams except Phoenix.
We should be able to beat Dallas in 6. Our main threat are the Spurs and not a German with a vagina. Thanks for the input though.

Budkin
02-29-2008, 05:07 PM
It's better to be underdogs IMO.

Strike
02-29-2008, 05:09 PM
We should be able to beat Dallas in 6. Our main threat are the Spurs and not a German with a vagina. Thanks for the input though.

Dirk and the mavs can lick a ball-sack.

The only other team I will root for is LA, even if they beat SA in the playoffs. I despised them in the past because I've always had an utter disdain for Shaq.

Now that "The Big AteYoTaco" is gone, I'll root for them if the Spurs don't make it.

Man In Black
02-29-2008, 05:19 PM
I think they give the Spurs Props, I've heard it so many times out here in California, that the Spurs are considered The team to beat 1A.

td4mvp21
02-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Yup good point.

I do remember when the Pistons played the lakers in 04 though.....they didn't really have a lot of experiene either and they took it to us. Still, experience is key and the spurs have it in spades.

Good point as well.

boutons_
02-29-2008, 05:50 PM
"they didn't really have a lot of experience either and they took it to us"

... minus Malone, the Duncan killer those playoffs.

Pistons had been in the playoffs and EC finals in 2003 so where do you find not "a lot of experience". And they also have to get by a very tough Pacers in 2004.

Medvedenko
02-29-2008, 06:15 PM
"they didn't really have a lot of experience either and they took it to us"

... minus Malone, the Duncan killer those playoffs.

Pistons had been in the playoffs and EC finals in 2003 so where do you find not "a lot of experience". And they also have to get by a very tough Pacers in 2004.

I still stand by my original comment. Yes, they had playoff experience but not championship experience.

ATXSPUR
02-29-2008, 06:22 PM
I still stand by my original comment. Yes, they had playoff experience but not championship experience.
well nobody has championship experience before they win a championship.

Cherry
02-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Spurs: Time for flying under the radar :stirpot:

Obstructed_View
02-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Welcome to zero pressure to repeat. You can always count on ESPN Nation to continually bury the Spurs right when it's most advantageous to do so. Time for Lakers fans to start showing up trying to equate team greatness with TV ratings.

anjlbitz
02-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Oh noes.

Does this mean that the Suns don't even get the ratings championship this year?

nfg3
02-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I like it when we start to fly under the radar. Who cares who the best team in the West is now? I don't and I think most Spur fans don't either. Its about who comes out of the West that counts. That be us!

Avitus1
02-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Just look at the teams the Lakers have beat. Nuff said.

DazedAndConfused
02-29-2008, 10:13 PM
If the teams the Lakers have beat are so bad then why does SAS struggle to beat them and in many cases need 4th quarter heroics from Ginobli just to win? Shouldn't SAS be blowing them out by double digits too if they are the best team in the league?

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I think the national media types have forgotten how good the Spurs are offensively when they're clicking on all cylinders. They started 17-3 while putting on offensive clinics. When Tony really shakes off the rust, the Spurs will be right there among the best offensive teams in the league... especially with Duncan cranks it up for the playoffs (he's operating at about 80% right now). This in addition to the fact that the Spurs are always the best defensive team in the post-season.

CarefreeAZ
03-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I think the national media types have forgotten how good the Spurs are offensively when they're clicking on all cylinders. They started 17-3 while putting on offensive clinics. When Tony really shakes off the rust, the Spurs will be right there among the best offensive teams in the league... especially with Duncan cranks it up for the playoffs (he's operating at about 80% right now). This in addition to the fact that the Spurs are always the best defensive team in the post-season.

This is one of those statements that can go either way. I agree that when all of the big three are on it can be a very high powered offense, one of the best in the league. On the other hand, I agree with Dazed and Confused that most of the time you usually have a close game when playing the Spurs.

Regarding the Lakers, not only can the starting 5 put up points, but when they go to the bench there are so many other guys that can put up numbers as well

Sense
03-01-2008, 06:10 PM
If the teams the Lakers have beat are so bad then why does SAS struggle to beat them and in many cases need 4th quarter heroics from Ginobli just to win? Shouldn't SAS be blowing them out by double digits too if they are the best team in the league?

Don't you get it? History has shown that is a good omen for the Spurs.... I'll take it.

Rummpd
03-01-2008, 06:10 PM
This is one of those statements that can go either way. I agree that when all of the big three are on it can be a very high powered offense, one of the best in the league. On the other hand, I agree with Dazed and Confused that most of the time you usually have a close game when playing the Spurs.

Regarding the Lakers, not only can the starting 5 put up points, but when they go to the bench there are so many other guys that can put up numbers as well

As can K. Thomas, Finley, Stoudamire and a guy named Barry coming back for playoffs.

Spurs are better than the Lakers and the gap is much more than the inane media knows as all they do is watch the LAL show.

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-01-2008, 06:12 PM
As can K. Thomas, Finley, Stoudamire and a guy named Barry coming back for playoffs.

Ditto.

slayermin
03-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Skip Bayless has been jockeying the Spurs for at least two years now. I don't always agree with his takes and he isn't always right (Patriots).

But at least there is one national media guy in Bristol that's bought into the Spurs other than the chuckster. What I do find funny is that as the Spurs become more relevant, the media people that ignored the Spurs, usually get details wrong when they finally try to talk Spurs Basketball. And most of the time, they just regurgitate the takes of ASS Smith.

But Skip usually gets everything right as if he reads this board.

xmas1997
03-01-2008, 07:36 PM
I'll never root for the Lakers as long as that overrated jerk of a coach Phil Jackson is there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't stand him even more than I couldn't stand Shaq when he was there!

xmas1997
03-01-2008, 07:37 PM
And last I heard the Spurs were the defending Champs so it all goes through San Antonio, not L.A.