PDA

View Full Version : XM and Sirius extend merger deadline by 2 months

Evan
02-29-2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSWNAS317020080229?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Ugh...just get it done.

ATRAIN
02-29-2008, 01:18 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSWNAS317020080229?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Ugh...just get it done.

no shit, I wonder if they will make everyone get a new radio when this happens.

Evan
02-29-2008, 01:23 PM
The exact question I wonder.

From what I understand both receivers are maxed out on bandwidth. I assume SIRIUS will just absord XM's catalogue and licenses and convert a few channels.

ATRAIN
02-29-2008, 01:26 PM
The exact question I wonder.

From what I understand both receivers are maxed out on bandwidth. I assume SIRIUS will just absord XM's catalogue and licenses and convert a few channels.

Sirius + MLB broadcasting and i'm sold for sure!!

Mister Sinister
02-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I have XM, so...what exactly does this mean for me?

ATRAIN
02-29-2008, 02:02 PM

we really don't know yet but best case scenario, you will get more channels.

Mister Sinister
02-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Spiffy!

Evan
02-29-2008, 02:05 PM

Impossible to know.

I have read some stories that seem like everything will sort of shift to SIRIUS but you won't need new radios for now.

But it's anyones guess.

02-29-2008, 02:09 PM
I can just about guarantee what it will mean.

A la carte packages.

Want the NBA? That'll cost you.

Want the NFL? Yea, that's going to cost extra as well.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

ATRAIN
02-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Impossible to know.

I have read some stories that seem like everything will sort of shift to SIRIUS but you won't need new radios for now.

But it's anyones guess.

thats why I am going to wait before getting a Sirius radio. I would assume its safe to get a Sirius because they will be the main company.

ATRAIN
02-29-2008, 02:10 PM

A la carte packages.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

So in your theory will there be a basic package with add ons?

Mister Sinister
02-29-2008, 02:12 PM
If I can get my dad to shell out for the NBA package, I will be a very happy man.

02-29-2008, 02:14 PM
So in your theory will there be a basic package with add ons?

I think so. I have XM, and when I heard rumblings a ways back I did a little googling and could swear I saw something from either Sirius or XM on what the programming packages might look like.

And I can also swear I read something to the effect that to recieve some of the premium programming (Not that they said what that may be) you would need to buy a "new" post merger receiver.

ATRAIN
02-29-2008, 02:15 PM
I think so. I have XM, and when I heard rumblings a ways back I did a little googling and could swear I saw something from either Sirius or XM on what the programming packages might look like.

And I can also swear I read something to the effect that to recieve some of the premium programming (Not that they said what that may be) you would need to buy a "new" post merger receiver.

yeah thats why I am waiting.

midgetonadonkey
02-29-2008, 02:18 PM

A la carte packages.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Not at all. Most of XM channels will be done away with but their more exclusive stuff like Oprah, Opie and Anthony and others will be added to the Sirius channel lineup. No additional fees will be added for more stuff. The price of subscriptions will stay the same.

02-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Not at all. Most of XM channels will be done away with but their more exclusive stuff like Oprah, Opie and Anthony and others will be added to the Sirius channel lineup. No additional fees will be added for more stuff. The price of subscriptions will stay the same.

Here is what XM "promises" (http://www.xmradio.com/merger/news.xmc)

Evan
02-29-2008, 02:26 PM

A la carte packages.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

From my understanding when I last heard Howard talk about this…

XM-SIRIUS are supposed to promise to not raise prices for a year or two after it happens.

But then eventually there would be a premium.

But it has been a long time since I listened to Howard so who know how much has changed.

Evan
02-29-2008, 02:27 PM
ah hell........

What should I expect in terms of subscription costs after the merger?
We will not raise the cost of your current XM subscription cost. We plan to add lower-tiers of pricing, and premium packages of service as we expand our programming, but your current package will stay the same.

ATRAIN
02-29-2008, 02:33 PM
ah hell........

What should I expect in terms of subscription costs after the merger?
We will not raise the cost of your current XM subscription cost. We plan to add lower-tiers of pricing, and premium packages of service as we expand our programming, but your current package will stay the same.

So when is this all slated to happen, I dont know if I wanna wait that long.

Evan
02-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Has to get approved first….who knows.

Just call SIRIUS and get hooked up. It's awesome and even if they don't merge who cares? I will always have it. I could never go back to regular radio again.

ATRAIN
02-29-2008, 02:42 PM

Just call SIRIUS and get hooked up. It's awesome and even if they don't merge who cares? I will always have it. I could never go back to regular radio again.

Yeah I guess i have put it off long enough. I car pool and my co-worker has it and I hate it when I have to drive and have to either pop in a MP3 cd or listen to lame morning talk radio with annoying dj's.

JoeChalupa
02-29-2008, 02:45 PM

I on the other hand can't see myself paying for radio. :oops

Evan
02-29-2008, 02:50 PM
I on the other hand can't see myself paying for radio. :oops

200 stations of music, talk and sports games. FCC censoring free. I pay about $10 a month.

Do you pay for cable? CD's?

Same thing.

JoeChalupa
02-29-2008, 02:52 PM
200 stations of music, talk and sports games. FCC censoring free. I pay about $10 a month.

Do you pay for cable? CD's?

Same thing.

I don't need FCC free radio. Profanity doesn't make it any better for me.
It's just me. I have basic cable, don't buy CD's or DVD's, not into the Blue Ray's and all that other stuff. Basically I'm cheap.

Evan
02-29-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't need FCC free radio. Profanity doesn't make it.any better for me.

It's not just profanity. The music I listen to is pretty clean just by its nature. I listen to mainly bluegrass, blues and classical and talk radio on SIRIUS.

But regardless I don't want those f#ckers at the FCC telling me whats good for me.

It's just me. I have basic cable, don't buy CD's or DVD's, not into the Blue Ray's and all that other stuff. Basically I'm cheap.

I hear ya. :toast

Sausage
03-01-2008, 10:46 AM
In total, the companies announced a suite of eight post-merger programming options, all
of which adhere to the companies’ commitment to maintain and enhance service to
existing devices and to ensure that no consumer pays more after the merger for the
service they enjoy today.
“The a la carte options and other packages unveiled today demonstrate that consumers
will be the beneficiaries of this merger. The efficiencies of the merger will allow the
combined companies to save hundreds of millions of dollars a year and give us the
opportunity to increase the number of programming options available to subscribers,”
said Mel Karmazin, CEO of SIRIUS Satellite Radio.
A La Carte Programming
The combined company will offer two a la carte packages. Consumers will select their
channels on-line allowing them to easily review the full-range of each company’s
programming choices. A la carte programming will only be available for subscribers
using new radios, which will be developed following approval of the merger.
• A La Carte – 50 Channels ($6.99) – Currently the only standard package offered by
either company is $12.95 a month. Under this new option, for only $6.99 per month
– a savings of 46 percent – consumers will be able to choose either 50 SIRIUS
channels from approximately 100 SIRIUS channels or 50 XM channels from
approximately 100 XM channels. Additional channels can be added for 25 cents
each, with premium packages priced at additional cost. However, no one choosing
this option will pay more than $12.95 a month.
• A La Carte – 100 Channels ($14.99) – Consumers may also choose an a la carte
offering of 100 channels each. SIRIUS customers will be able to choose from some
of the best of XM’s programming and XM customers will be able to choose from
some of the best of SIRIUS’ programming. Today this programming would require
two monthly subscriptions, totaling $25.90. The new 100 channel a la carte option
represents a savings of 42 percent.
Best of Both Packages Will Be Available on Existing Radios
Today, if consumers want the best of both XM and SIRIUS, they need two satellite radios
and two separate monthly subscriptions totaling $25.90. Following the merger of
SIRIUS and XM, consumers will be able to obtain the best of both SIRIUS and XM, on
any of today’s satellite radio devices with one monthly subscription. XM customers
would continue to receive their existing XM service, and be able to obtain certain
SIRIUS programming. SIRIUS customers would continue to receive their existing
SIRIUS service, and be able to obtain certain XM programming. This will be available
through existing SIRIUS and XM radios at a monthly cost of $16.99, a savings of 34
percent, compared to what it would cost to receive both services today.
Discounted Family-Friendly Packages
Both companies enable comprehensive channel blocking and parental controls today.
After the merger, consumers who purchase a family friendly version of XM Everything
or SIRIUS Everything can do so for $11.95, a credit of $1.00 per month.
SIRIUS customers will also be able to choose a family-friendly version of SIRIUS
programming that includes select XM programming. And XM customers can select a
family-friendly XM programming option that includes select SIRIUS programming.
These packages will cost $14.99 per month, a credit of $2.00 per month from the cost of
the “best of” packages. Today, a consumer would have to purchase two subscriptions for
$25.90 to get this combined content.
Get Mostly Music or Just News and Sports and Save 23 Percent
Following the merger, consumers will also have the option of choosing a package of
SIRIUS Mostly Music programming or XM Mostly Music programming. Subscribers
will also be able to choose a package of SIRIUS News, Sports and Talk programming or
XM News, Sports and Talk programming. Each of these packages will be $9.99 per
month, a savings of 23 percent compared to today’s standard subscription of $12.95.
Like What You Have Today? It Will Still Be Here Tomorrow
From day one, SIRIUS and XM have promised that no subscriber will pay more after the
merger for a service similar to what they enjoy today and that no existing radio will be
made obsolete by the merger. The XM Everything and SIRIUS Everything packages will
offer a service similar to that offered today for the standard subscription of $12.95.
Customers who choose to keep the subscription package they have today can continue to
do so for $12.95 per month. Customers who purchase XM Everything and SIRIUS
Everything packages will also be able to continue their current $6.99 multi-receiver
subscriptions.
Additional detail on the packages is attached to this news release and available at either
www.siriusmerger.com or www.xmmerger.com.
The companies anticipate the merger will close in late

http://www.siriusmerger.com/uploads/ala-cart-Press-Rel-7-23-07.pdf

Thunder Dan
03-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I loved when Jim Cramer called out the people in Congress that are holding this up. They have all taken money from the NAB and they are also against this merger. He noted that this has received more hearings than the Whirlpool/Maytag merger and the Exxon/Mobil merger (which didn't receive one single hearing).

http://www.thestreet.com/funds/madmoneywrap/index.html

actually one of the congressmen that are strongly against this is from the Houston area and his name is Gene Green. If I were from that area I would write him because he is basically just taking money from the NAB, and opposes this because he doesn't give a shit either way- however he knows he won't be getting large sums of money from the NAB if they are weakened.

AlamoSpursFan
03-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I only listen to 10 Sirius channels (not counting games) anyways, so it looks like my bill's going DOWN. I just hope they move Dale Jr.'s show from XM to Sirius Nascar 128.