PDA

View Full Version : Lakers getting Gasol ready to move to power forward

MajicMan
02-29-2008, 02:46 PM
link (http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_web_lakers_notes_29.28be926.html )

By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

LOS ANGELES - There will come a time when Pau Gasol will move from the center spot to the power forward position.

It'll happen when Andrew Bynum returns from the injury to his left kneecap, probably sometime in mid-March.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson said the team has worked with Gasol during pregame shootarounds and at practices on playing power forward.

"He is getting some of the semblance of what we do," Jackson said. "It's just conceptually how well he picks that up."

Gasol has fit in seamlessly with the Lakers at the center spot. Jackson has said that's the easiest position to learn in the triangle offense.

Still, Gasol has been a willing student.

"A lot of that has to do with him," Jackson said. "... He's getting it down."

Jackson said it'll take some time for Gasol to move to another spot and to play with Bynum.

"It'll be a different transition," Jackson said. "It'll be a juggling event for him to have to do that. But when it's a reality, we'll get after it."

Bynum Will Be Eased In

Jackson said Bynum, who has been out about seven weeks, probably will come off the bench when he does return.

"Probably, that's the way it's going to have to start, with Andrew going six, eight minutes at a time rather than stepping into a starter's role," Jackson said.

sribb43
02-29-2008, 03:42 PM
......and get abused by the other PF's in the West

Medvedenko
02-29-2008, 04:02 PM

I guess we'll see won't we.....

DazedAndConfused
02-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Can't be any worse than the beating he is taking at the C spot.

J Zone
02-29-2008, 04:36 PM
He should be getting Odom ready to move to the 3, he's the only one I'm really worried about. Gasol shouldn't have much trouble.

MajicMan
02-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Who choked in the Finals against Miami, first round of the playoffs last year, the All Star game, and just yesterday against the Spurs? Hmmm, it was a Euro..Umm PAU? Wait no, it was "Skirt" Novitski. You motherfuckers are the worst fans in all of sports. Fucking Bridesmaid syndrome. When your 7 ft PF can't even post up a effeminate French pg in Tony Parker I would shut the fuck up.

George Gervin's Afro
02-29-2008, 04:48 PM
I don't even know why going to have the playoffs. Since the Lakers are the greatest team ever and are shoe-ins for the title it's just a waste of time. I mean how many times in history have we seen a team win 4 rounds in the playoffs while playing for the first time together.. Can't we just talk about the draft now? :rolleyes

LakeShow
02-29-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't even know why going to have the playoffs. Since the Lakers are the greatest team ever and are shoe-ins for the title it's just a waste of time. I mean how many times in history have we seen a team win 4 rounds in the playoffs while playing for the first time together.. Can't we just talk about the draft now? :rolleyes

Formalities! Don't know why you guys just count us out with the best player in the NBA on our team and Fisher has a rep for knocking down big shots in the playoffs.

ElNono
02-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Formalities! Don't know why you guys just count us out with the best player in the NBA on our team and Fisher has a rep for knocking down big shots in the playoffs.

Like he did in Utah last year... ask Jerry Sloan how that worked out

LakeShow
02-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Like he did in Utah last year... ask Jerry Sloan how that worked out

A spurs fan should know better than anyone else. Didn't fisher go postal on the Spurs while a lakers? Don't forget about .04 too! :)

ElNono
02-29-2008, 05:44 PM
A spurs fan should know better than anyone else. Didn't fisher go postal on the Spurs while a lakers? Don't forget about .04 too! :)

That's like Mavs fans bringing up 2006... We moved on, we won another championship. We're certainly not afraid of Fish.

LakeShow
02-29-2008, 05:48 PM
That's like Mavs fans bringing up 2006... We moved on, we won another championship. We're certainly not afraid of Fish.

Don't have to be afraid of him just be aware that he can make the big shots and has in the past. Btw, he did it for Utah last season too!

ElNono
02-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Don't have to be afraid of him just be aware that he can make the big shots and has in the past. Btw, he did it for Utah last season too!

If you leave him open sure... but we're not Golden State last I checked.
I'll give you that he has his head somewhere else during the series against us, and that he's a good, experienced point guard. But the only Laker player we have to put the clamps on is Kobe.

LakeShow
02-29-2008, 05:59 PM
If you leave him open sure... but we're not Golden State last I checked.
I'll give you that he has his head somewhere else during the series against us, and that he's a good, experienced point guard. But the only Laker player we have to put the clamps on is Kobe.

That's true, I only brought up fisher because you guys were saying we had no one that will make the pressure shots but we do. What are you going to do about Odom? Bowen can't guard him, who are you going to put on him?

ElNono
02-29-2008, 06:08 PM
That's true, I only brought up fisher because you guys were saying we had no one that will make the pressure shots but we do. What are you going to do about Odom? Bowen can't guard him, who are you going to put on him?

Ginobili/Finley will probably take Odom, like always.

remingtonbo2001
02-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Don't know why you guys just count us out with the best player in the NBA on our team

Kobe Bryant is not the best player in the NBA. The man doesn't even have an MVP trophy. Until he can make his teamates play at the highest level, he isn't the best. Basketball is a team sport, not a game of 1 on 1.

DazedAndConfused
02-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Kobe Bryant is not the best player in the NBA. The man doesn't even have an MVP trophy. Until he can make his teamates play at the highest level, he isn't the best. Basketball is a team sport, not a game of 1 on 1.

8 players on the Lakers are posting career high FG% numbers. Next.

And the MVP award is a fucking joke, look who got it last year.

LakeShow
02-29-2008, 07:06 PM

whatever :rolleyes

LakeShow
02-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Ginobili/Finley will probably take Odom, like always.

Odom should be able to do well against those guys, especially in the low post and rebounding.

TheNextGen
02-29-2008, 07:14 PM

haha.....i LOL. You still living in 2001 buddy. Thats why your username has 2001 on it?

mavsfan1000
02-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Lakers have too many low post players. The Lane will be crowded. I'd say they are best with having Odom come off the bench in a 6th man role.

ElNono
02-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Odom should be able to do well against those guys, especially in the low post and rebounding.

He's been mostly a non factor against them, mostly because he doesn't really have a low post game. On top of that, you already are going to have two 7 footers filling up the lane, so I kind of doubt it.

George Gervin's Afro
02-29-2008, 07:26 PM

In all seriousness I do not see any team winning 4 rounds in the playoffs in their first 1/2 year together. Granted this may be the first time in a long time but the odds are against the Lakers this year. Now I certainly don't have a problem with the Lakers being touted as heavy favorites next year but all of this hype is a bit to much.. I will give you Fish and Kobe having great experience but they can't play all 5 positions for 48 minutes..

dallaskd
02-29-2008, 07:41 PM

Dirk has a history of kicking Gasol's ass so I like it. And Gasol better be ready to eat Boozer and Duncan's shit too.

George Gervin's Afro
02-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Dirk has a history of kicking Gasol's ass so I like it. And Gasol better be ready to eat Boozer and Duncan's shit too.

Gasol isn't a very good defender..

DazedAndConfused
02-29-2008, 07:56 PM
It's called TEAM defense people. When you have a defensive anchor in the paint like Bynum you can afford to send double teams and take chances on the perimeter.

remingtonbo2001
02-29-2008, 08:04 PM
8 players on the Lakers are posting career high FG% numbers. Next.

And the MVP award is a fucking joke, look who got it last year.

It's more than present statistics...It's about consistancy, leadership and CHARACTER.

Then again, I shouldn't expect much from fairweather fans such as yourself...Jeff.

ElNono
02-29-2008, 08:09 PM
It's called TEAM defense people. When you have a defensive anchor in the paint like Bynum you can afford to send double teams and take chances on the perimeter.

We don't know anything of that thing... Team Defense...

LakeShow
02-29-2008, 08:39 PM
He's been mostly a non factor against them, mostly because he doesn't really have a low post game. On top of that, you already are going to have two 7 footers filling up the lane, so I kind of doubt it.

Odom played the 4 position last season, this season he is at the 3. He does have some handles and can take it to the hoop. I think on the weak side he should do very well. Bynum down low and Gasol at the top, they wont be in each others way.

LakeShow
02-29-2008, 08:43 PM
In all seriousness I do not see any team winning 4 rounds in the playoffs in their first 1/2 year together. Granted this may be the first time in a long time but the odds are against the Lakers this year. Now I certainly don't have a problem with the Lakers being touted as heavy favorites next year but all of this hype is a bit to much.. I will give you Fish and Kobe having great experience but they can't play all 5 positions for 48 minutes..

Ok, but who out there besides the Spurs have as much experience than Kobe, Fish and Phil Jackson? I agree the Spurs experience will be a factor and there is no telling how the lakers will adapt to it but if somebody knocks you out or if our athleticism gets us over the hump. I see no reason why they can not win it this season.

DazedAndConfused
02-29-2008, 08:46 PM
It's more than present statistics...It's about consistancy, leadership and CHARACTER.

Then again, I shouldn't expect much from fairweather fans such as yourself...Jeff.

No argument from me here. Kobe is just finally beginning to grow into a leadership role after 11 years in the league.

ElNono
02-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Ok, but who out there besides the Spurs have as much experience than Kobe, Fish and Phil Jackson?

The Pistons?

dbreiden83080
02-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Formalities! Don't know why you guys just count us out with the best player in the NBA on our team

Tim Duncan is a Laker, when did this happen???

LakeShow
02-29-2008, 09:26 PM
The Pistons?

Ok, That's right but the Pistons are by no means a lock to come out of the east.