PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Pro

whottt
02-29-2008, 08:44 PM
I just got back from seeing this.

Well, it's a Will Ferrell movie, there's no doubt about that. If you've seen his movies you know what I am talking about.

But, it's one of his best ones. It is genuinely funny in some moments, and it does do a good job of parodying some of the wildness of the ABA as well as the attitude and music of the mid 70's.

As for the Spurs connection...

The Spurs aren't in the movie till the very end and they are more or less the bad guys(how come we're always the bad guys?). IMO, the team bears little or no resemblance to the actual Spurs of that era....however I am no expert on the ABA or that era of the Spurs, and others might have a better perspective and see more references.

I will say that IMO, Woody Harrelson's character is definitely reminiscent of Larry Brown...right down to the hair.

As for the old Spurs/ABA players in the movie...near as I can tell their scenes didn't make the final cut, and that sucks because I think they would have added something to the movie.

It is a pretty funny ABA tribute/parody, and one of Will Ferrell's best movies, if not the best.

:tu :tu out of :tu :tu :tu :tu

braeden0613
02-29-2008, 08:47 PM
all that and its only a 2 out of 4?

thispego
02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
i thought the funniest part was when the dirty hippy went for the free throw shot from the other end of the court. Jackie Moon interviewed him before the shot and asks him what he does for a living. The hippy thinks about it for a second "ummm nothing right now". hahahahaha

whottt
02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
2/4 is actually a pretty good rating from me for a Will Ferrell movie. I think it might be his funniest one. It's definitely better than Anchorman although I don't know if it will do as well at the box office.

whottt
02-29-2008, 08:52 PM
i thought the funniest part was when the dirty hippy went for the free throw shot from the other end of the court. Jackie Moon interviewed him before the shot and asks him what he does for a living. The hippy thinks about it for a second "ummm nothing right now". hahahahaha

Kelly Leak has really hit the skids...and to think, he was one of the greatest littlelleague baseball players ever.

thispego
02-29-2008, 08:54 PM
there werent alot of other other funny parts to mention now that i think about it... at least it wasn't painful to watch though

whottt
02-29-2008, 08:55 PM

The funniest part for me was the part with the gun...

thispego
02-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Kelly Leak has really hit the skids...and to think, he was one of the greatest littlelleague baseball players ever.
HAHAHA, oh yeah that was funny

whottt
02-29-2008, 08:56 PM
there werent alot of other other funny parts to mention now that i think about it... at least it wasn't painful to watch though

I thought it was pretty funny...I had some good laughs.

thispego
02-29-2008, 08:56 PM
The funniest part for me was the part with the gun...
lol, you knew it was going to go off eventually. where did you watch it? I saw it up at Alamo Drafthouse on Anderson

whottt
02-29-2008, 08:59 PM
lol, you knew it was going to go off eventually. where did you watch it? I saw it up at Alamo Drafthouse on Anderson

Tinseltown Pflugerville...I didn't think about going to see it at the Draft House...

Jackie Moon
02-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the props and the spoilers.

J.T.
03-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Will Ferrell's best movie is obviously The Producers.

METALMiKE
03-01-2008, 11:45 AM
The Director is actually from SA.

Basketball: 'Semi-Pro' director uses Spurs memories to give movie some authenticity

Web Posted: 02/28/2008 12:48 AM CST

Clint Hale
San Antonio Express-News

Kent Alterman spent a sizable portion of his childhood at HemisFair Arena — center court, third row — heckling the living hell out of anyone who had the misfortune of being a Spurs opponent on that particular night.

"I was an obnoxious, smart-mouthed kid," Alterman recalls, "screaming and yelling."

Alterman does more these days than reflect on his memories of rooting for the Spurs during the waning years of the American Basketball Association. Rather, he turned those memories into a feature-length film.

A native San Antonian, Alterman directed "Semi-Pro," a comical — and fictional — take on the 1976 ABA season. The R-rated flick, which stars Will Ferrell, Woody Harrelson and Andre Benjamin, hits theaters nationwide on Friday. "Semi-Pro" tells the story of the fictional Flint Tropics and owner/coach/player Jackie Moon (Ferrell), who attempt to finish in the top four of the 1976 ABA standings, thus allowing them to join the NBA the following season. Aside from the Tropics, each team referenced in "Semi-Pro" actually played in the ABA.

"This couldn't be more personal," Alterman said of "Semi-Pro," which marks the first feature-length directorial effort for the 1975 Lee High School graduate. "I have deep roots with it. I was a kid when the Spurs came from Dallas in the old ABA days."

Red McCombs and Angelo Drossos were among the Spurs' principal investors when the team relocated from Dallas in 1973, though the group encouraged investment from others in the community. That enabled Alterman's father Bill and uncle Richard, along with some friends, to combine their efforts and purchase a single share of the team.

That lone share helped Kent Alterman land a premier seat at HemisFair Arena, and enabled him to watch Spurs legends such as George Gervin and James Silas. Both of those iconic figures, plus former Spurs center Artis Gilmore, served as consultants during the filming of "Semi-Pro" and shot a cameo that will be shown on the film's extended DVD version.

Gervin recalls plenty of the ABA's wacky promotional tactics, one of which involved Spurs opponents holding him to less than 30 points, thus granting everyone in attendance free food from a local eatery.

He contends, however, that the ABA was more than a carnival-like sideshow to the more prominent NBA.

"There were a lot of great ballplayers that played in that league, and we proved once we merged in 1976 that we did have a lot of talent," Gervin said. "There was a lot of young talent in the ABA, and in my eyes, the ABA helped the NBA become what it is today."

Silas, meanwhile, was pleased to see an ABA diehard like Alterman take the reins of "Semi-Pro."

"I felt like he was somebody that knew, not somebody who read a book or went out and got the info," Silas said. "He was there, and it makes a difference when you were there and saw it individually. It happened to you."

Alterman, 50, hasn't let his childhood adoration of the Spurs fade with age.

Though he now resides in Los Angeles — where he has been the executive producer of award-winning films like "A History of Violence" and "Little Children" — Alterman still ventures out to Staples Center when the Spurs are in town. He doesn't get quite as animated as in the past, though Alterman admits his fondness for the team sometimes leads to public displays of passion.

He was at Madison Square Garden when the Spurs won their first NBA championship, trekked to Detroit for Game 5 of the 2005 NBA Finals and sat in the stands of the AT&T Center for Game 1 of last season's Western Conference finals. In the climactic scene of "Semi-Pro," the Tropics play — who else — but the first-place Spurs ... even though the Spurs actually finished third during the ABA's final season.

"I took that liberty," Alterman said, "and made them the powerful team in the league."

As for the Spurs' current roster, Alterman lists Tim Duncan as the team's best overall player, though an affinity for Manu Ginobili is rather obvious.

Had Alterman and his wife had a son recently — the couple had a daughter instead — his name would have been Emanuel.

"It was my father's middle name, but we would have called him Manu," Alterman said. "I love the way he plays."

His daughter, Evelyn Maye Alterman, turned 1 in January.

Alterman's love of the Spurs and their old ABA exploits were not lost on the cast of "Semi-Pro," and in particular, the film's leading man.

"Oh yeah," Ferrell said in a sarcastic tone, "we've heard all of those stories, ad nauseam."

The Spurs, with four NBA titles since 1999, aren't exactly keeping Alterman at a loss for on-set conversation with future Hollywood co-workers.

"To have the Spurs transformed into the pre-eminent franchise in terms of how it's run and the results they get ... everyone is doing an amazing job," he said. "It's a thrill to be able to take that kind of pride in your hometown team."
[email protected]

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022808.01C.BKO_SemiProStory.en.3c6e6c6.html

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-01-2008, 02:29 PM
For anyone going to see it pay attention to the opening tip when the Tropics play the Spurs. They do the shot from above the ball and I swear it's the A-Train doing the tip. I said to Mrs. Chopper, "Was that Artis Gilmore?" To which she replied "Who's Artis Gilmore?" So she wasn't much help.

The movie was pretty funny. Mrs. Chopper actually liked it more than I did which was shocking considering the fact that I had to drag her kicking and screaming into the theater.

Mister Sinister
03-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Will Ferrell's best movie is obviously The Producers.
:toast!

Road Warrior
03-02-2008, 12:01 AM
I saw this movie today and it wasn't as good as i thought it would be but i still liked it. The stuff with the bear was pretty funny.

curtismedellin
03-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Took my daughters to see it, there were some great scenes in it, like Whott said it's a Will Ferrell movie so you get what you pay for.

I'm a big fan so it was worth my coin.

They preveiwed Wills next movie "Best Friends" with John C Reilley, now that looked hillarious!

boutons_
03-02-2008, 12:55 PM
The moviegoers have voted:

"LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Will Ferrell's latest sports comedy ran afoul of moviegoers and is on track to become one of his worst performing movies, according to preliminary sales data issued on Saturday. "Semi-Pro," in which the comedian plays the flamboyant owner of an underdog team in the now-defunct American Basketball Association, opened at No. 1 with estimated earnings of $5.45 million on Friday, tracking firm Box Office Mojo said."

Maybe it will "pick up steam" later as a cult movie so bad that it's good?

T Park
03-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm going to see it tonight after the Spurs game is over.

Its just a fun basketball movie. Ya know its not like your going to see a supposed Oscar winning movie.

I dont understand the critics when they judge a movie like that.

SA210
03-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Saw it, loved it. The bear scene was hilarious.

:tu

boutons_
03-02-2008, 01:37 PM
"I dont understand the critics"

The moviegoers who are staying away seem to understand something.

Sometimes moviegoers and critics disagree, but here both groups seem to agree the movie sucks (at least against expectations).

Not that there's anything wrong with wasting time and money on a sucky film. Happens to everybody.

E20
03-02-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm going to see it tonight after the Spurs game is over.

Its just a fun basketball movie. Ya know its not like your going to see a supposed Oscar winning movie.

I dont understand the critics when they judge a movie like that.
Then why do you say shit about Rocky and Rambo and point to the critics?

Hypocri..........

Heath Ledger
03-02-2008, 03:29 PM
ANCHORMAN sucked.

T Park
03-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Then why do you say shit about Rocky and Rambo and point to the critics?

Hypocri..........

I dont point to the critics.

I point to sylvester stallone being a patheticly horrible actor whos only talent is curling his lip and saying "Hey yo"

Shoot there was a wrestler when I was a kid who did that, and he was twice as funny as him.

E20
03-02-2008, 04:32 PM

I point to sylvester stallone being a patheticly horrible actor whos only talent is curling his lip and saying "Hey yo"

Shoot there was a wrestler when I was a kid who did that, and he was twice as funny as him.
You just contradicted yourself. :bang

T Park
03-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Uh how so, I gave my opinion of the movies.

How is that contradicting myself?

E20
03-02-2008, 04:58 PM

Its just a fun movie. Ya know its not like your going to see a supposed Oscar winning movie.
Yes Rocky and Rambo are fun movies as well, you don't go to to see it as a supposed Oscar winning movie, except for Rocky I. You pick and choose what you want to see/hear/say. Just like you don't go to see the movie Semi-Shit for acting, you don't see action flicks for acting either.

Also Rocky I WON an oscar for best picture and Stallone was nominated to win an Oscar for best actor. See the thing people don't know aobut Stallone is he could have taken the Marlon Brando route and been a person who picks movies just to raise up his accolades/oscar nods or just been an action star and rack up fame, fandom and cash. He took the latter. FYI After Rocky I a lot of people were hailing Stallone as the next big actor, but he was like fuck that. Plus his 'talent' has made him millions, plus he didn't need surgery to get into shape.

Also this:

Shoot there was a wrestler when I was a kid who did that, and he was twice as funny as him
Doesn't make any sense at all. He's not trying to be funny when he says Hey Yo.

Your quotes = you contradicting yourself/being hypocritical.

T Park
03-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Your quotes = you contradicting yourself/being hypocritical

I said hes not a good actor.

What am I contradicting?

mrsmaalox
03-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Took my daughters to see it, there were some great scenes in it, like Whott said it's a Will Ferrell movie so you get what you pay for.

I'm a big fan so it was worth my coin.

They preveiwed Wills next movie "Best Friends" with John C Reilley, now that looked hillarious!

Isn't it rated R? How old are your daughters? My son (14 yrs in 3 weeks) doesn't even bother to ask me about going to R movies, although I know he's probably seen and knows it ALL. And I'm betting he goes to R rated movies anyway. Was it the usual Will Ferrell type raunch or worse?

BonnerDynasty
03-03-2008, 12:50 AM

You obviously haven't watched that many Stallone movies. What a dumb fucking take.

You do realize the Rocky character was suppose to be a dimwit boxer right?

BonnerDynasty
03-03-2008, 12:50 AM
And I just tried watching semi-pro and the first 10 minutes were pretty fucking stupid and not funny. Maybe I'll try again later.

T Park
03-03-2008, 01:00 AM
You obviously haven't watched that many Stallone movies. What a dumb fucking take.

You do realize the Rocky character was suppose to be a dimwit boxer right?

Why does he play that part in pretty much every movie he plays?

Get Carter.
Tango and Cash

I mean its all the same damn character.

J.T.
03-03-2008, 04:12 AM
Isn't it rated R? How old are your daughters? My son (14 yrs in 3 weeks) doesn't even bother to ask me about going to R movies, although I know he's probably seen and knows it ALL. And I'm betting he goes to R rated movies anyway. Was it the usual Will Ferrell type raunch or worse?

I watched it streaming online today because I'm a broke piece of shit, but it's not that bad for teenagers in my opinion. Maybe a little worse than other Will Ferrell movies (mostly cursing) but if your kids are in the public school system they probably curse as much or more than Tony Montana as soon as you leave their sight. Or at least they probably know other kids that do. The public school system is probably parental censorship's worst enemy.

But yeah I don't think Semi-Pro is a movie that parents should stop their kids from seeing. If they see it, they won't go back to school and do something like this

m8ZpJei2jik

J.T.
03-03-2008, 04:16 AM
And lulz at the rest of this thread. I once thought about starting a site and doing movie reviews from an entertainment perspective instead of a judgmental one. I figured ordinary people would like to have a site that does reviews on movies so they can decide what they want to see on the weekends, not a site that tears every movie to shreds because some fat old dude with a stick up his ass is doing the reviews.

But I also figured something like that would disappear into the bowels of the internets pretty quickly, so I never did it.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-03-2008, 05:18 AM
Yes Rocky and Rambo are fun movies as well, you don't go to to see it as a supposed Oscar winning movie, except for Rocky I. You pick and choose what you want to see/hear/say. Just like you don't go to see the movie Semi-Shit for acting, you don't see action flicks for acting either.

Also Rocky I WON an oscar for best picture and Stallone was nominated to win an Oscar for best actor. See the thing people don't know aobut Stallone is he could have taken the Marlon Brando route and been a person who picks movies just to raise up his accolades/oscar nods or just been an action star and rack up fame, fandom and cash. He took the latter. FYI After Rocky I a lot of people were hailing Stallone as the next big actor, but he was like fuck that. Plus his 'talent' has made him millions, plus he didn't need surgery to get into shape.

Also this:

Doesn't make any sense at all. He's not trying to be funny when he says Hey Yo.

Your quotes = you contradicting yourself/being hypocritical.

Stallone does lack talent, and it's completely laughable that a cheesy film like Rocky would beat out an all time classic like Taxi Driver for best picture.

Stallone lost out on a lot of roles for prestigious films (Godfather being a notable example) and then decided to milk being a campy action star for all it was worth.

Your comparison to Brando makes it sound like it's a bad thing for Brando to want to take respectful roles (although oddly enough, Brando was probably more cash hungry than Stallone, seeing how bad a majority of his movie choices were, post Apocalypse Now).

Amuseddaysleeper
03-03-2008, 05:19 AM
And lulz at the rest of this thread. I once thought about starting a site and doing movie reviews from an entertainment perspective instead of a judgmental one. I figured ordinary people would like to have a site that does reviews on movies so they can decide what they want to see on the weekends, not a site that tears every movie to shreds because some fat old dude with a stick up his ass is doing the reviews.

But I also figured something like that would disappear into the bowels of the internets pretty quickly, so I never did it.

I am not fat.

T Park
03-03-2008, 01:09 PM
So your saying you have a stick up your ass? :)

CuckingFunt
03-03-2008, 02:32 PM
I will never understand people who talk shit about professional critics, and then offer their opinion of a film. Only difference is that one person is smart enough to be making money by doing so.

jman3000
03-03-2008, 02:36 PM
it was ok... i only really laughed out loud about 4-5 times.

i didnt think the spurs were the "bad guys", they were just a good team. the spurs coach gave andre ... errr.. coffee black... the spurs jersey at the end to be on their team.

i thought the scene where the crazy boyfriend starts to jack off while watching monix and that chick bang, was pretty funny... but in a weird kinda way.