PDA

View Full Version : Parker is right about Devin Harris (Mav fans will be PISSED!)

Man of Steel
02-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Harris' debut is making Nets fans and the media to openly state--

JASON WHO?

Jason who? Devin Harris stars in debut as Nets topple Bucks

BY JULIAN GARCIA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, February 29th 2008, 4:00 AM
Devin Harris drives to the basket during his impressive Nets' debut on Thursday night. Keivom/News

Devin Harris drives to the basket during his impressive Nets' debut on Thursday night.

There were just over two minutes left in the Nets' 120-106 victory over the Bucks on Thursday night when what remained of an announced crowd of 14,034 at the Meadowlands started chanting, "Devin Harris! Devin Harris!"

In New Jersey, that translates to "Jason who?"

It didn't take long for the Nets' new point guard to erase some of the bitter memories left behind by their old one. Harris, the key piece the Nets got back in the eight-player trade that sent Kidd to Dallas on Feb. 19, provided the kind of energetic spark that Kidd used to ignite long before he demanded to be traded earlier this season.

Playing for the first time since suffering a Grade 2 ankle sprain on Jan. 27, Harris scored 21 points and handed out five assists in nearly 21minutes in his Nets' debut. After coming off the bench with 2:30 left in the first quarter, Harris flashed game-changing skills, helping the Nets turn a tight game into one they had full control of from that point on.

After replacing starter Marcus Williams with the game tied at 22, Harris fueled a 10-1 run, handing out an assist and making two three-point plays as the Nets went into the second quarter up by nine.

He then scored 10 points in the second, finishing his first half in a Nets uniform with 16 points on 6-of-6 shooting and helping the Nets take a 68-55 lead into the break.

"It's great," said Harris, who celebrated his 25th birthday on Wednesday. "I couldn't have scripted it any better, playing well and the team wins."

"That was a very, very impressive performance to say the least, for him to impact the way he did," said Lawrence Frank.

Harris' influence was obvious. The Nets (26-32) shot 70% for most of the first half and scored 25 fast-break points overall. They also set a season-high for points scored.

Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson each scored 19 points, Josh Boone had 14 and Williams, starting for the fifth time since the Kidd trade, had 11 points, eight assists and five rebounds.

Bostjan Nachbar scored all 13 of his points in the fourth quarter, burying a trio of three-pointers over a span of 1:50 to help the Nets pull away. Michael Redd scored 33 points to lead Milwaukee (22-36).

With the Nets nursing a nine-point lead late in the third, Carter shared Harris' first highlight reel moment, pulling an underhanded lob pass out of the air for an electrifying alley-oop. With Harris practicing only once with his new team, the new backcourt tandem did not have time to rehearse such a move, and Carter "wasn't quite sure if he threw lobs or not" when they were racing up court side-by-side.

"He's quick in the open floor," Carter said. "I was just trying to stay close."

Before the game, Harris wasn't concerned with the task of filling Kidd's shoes, even saying he thinks he's "a little bit faster than (Kidd) is" and that he "can shoot it just a little bit better" than Kidd can.

Harris then backed up his words, knocking down each of his three 3-point shots in the opening half and driving for layups and a couple of assists.

"When you're making perimeter shots like he is, as fast as he is, that's a really hard (guy to) cover," said Frank. "And then he made some great passes. . . . He really was special tonight."

Hemotivo
02-29-2008, 11:02 PM
good work devin!

mavsfan1000
02-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Harris is a speed demon. He is very close to Kidd's level these days.

bdictjames
02-29-2008, 11:04 PM
And because of this NJ has a better chance of making the playoffs. Carter, Kidd, and Jefferson play horrible together. But the downside is Sean Williams will probably get less touches.

ludda
02-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Good for Flopper Harris.

GSH
02-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Kidd had 20 points, 11 rbs, and 9 assists tonight against the Kings. Maybe both teams will wind up happy, but I think "Jason who" is wishful thinking.

Kidd gets 11 rbs, and nobody is surprised. Find me another PG you can say that about. Even if you bleed silver and black, you have to admit that he is a great PG.

wildbill2u
02-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Kidd is still great, but the emphasis is on still. How long will that last? Harris stands to be a good to great guard for years to come.

whottt
02-29-2008, 11:20 PM
When you shoot as many bricks as Kidd does, you're bound to get a few extra rebounds out of the deal.

monosylab1k
02-29-2008, 11:23 PM
I guess Spurs fans were really impressed with a win over the Mighty Milwaukee Bucks.

Um, while you guys might get your ass kicked on a regular basis by the Bucks, the rest of the NBA generally doesn't. So sorry, I'm not impressed.

ludda
02-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Kidd had 20 points, 11 rbs, and 9 assists tonight against the Kings. Maybe both teams will wind up happy, but I think "Jason who" is wishful thinking.

Kidd gets 11 rbs, and nobody is surprised. Find me another PG you can say that about. Even if you bleed silver and black, you have to admit that he is a great PG.

I admit it, I like JKidd's game a lot. That's why I found it funny when so many were hailing Harris as the next great pg and dumping on Kidd just to dump on the trade. May not be a good trade, but I'll take Kidd any day. But that's just me, I can't stand flopping, whiny little bitches like Harris. (He's a good player though).

Cant_Be_Faded
02-29-2008, 11:26 PM
ROFL

I'll never forget reading on the Dallas Morning News that Devin Harris had worked hard all summer long on "taking charges". The headline might as well have read "Harris Vows a Flopping For the Ages"
Its like....I didn't work on my real defense, i just worked on taking charges. That's the Devin Harris philosophy...brah.

ChuckD
02-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Both Kidd and Harris are thriving in their new environments, but the bottom line is that Harris will have a lot more great games, simply because he has more games ahead of him. Kidd's about at the end. I think the end of this contract is the end of his career. He's really not the kind to stick around and mentor on a small contract. I think teams will also beware the PITA attitude that has permeated his whole career.

Mr. Body
03-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Harris ain't that great. He'll be a good player for the Nets, but never, ever at Kidd's level. Harris will never sniff the All-Star Game.

ducks
03-01-2008, 12:25 AM
in the east there is not that many great point guards
they are all out west

timaios
03-01-2008, 12:42 AM

Beno Udrih had 25 pts 5 rbs 5 ast fg:10/16
:madrun :madrun :madrun

StoneCutter
03-01-2008, 12:44 AM
I guess Spurs fans were really impressed with a win over the Mighty Milwaukee Bucks.

Um, while you guys might get your ass kicked on a regular basis by the Bucks, the rest of the NBA generally doesn't. So sorry, I'm not impressed.

Mono...you might have me beat by about 6,900 posts, but posts like this offer nothing. When you posted only one Rockets fan had praised Harris for his game.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Bucks
I stopped being impressed when I got to that point. Devin Harris was a matchup issue for the Spurs, but he's not in Jason Kidd's league.

dirk4mvp
03-01-2008, 01:29 AM
He'll dissapear for about 8 games and bullshit like this will stop.

Findog
03-01-2008, 01:35 AM
To listen to Spurs fans tell it, Devin and Diop were our two best players. Sure, we'll miss Devin's speed at times and Diop's shotblocking, but I'm extremely encouraged that we still are a bitch to play for San Antonio. Oh, but we had an offnight, comes the reply. Like we didn't have something to do with that?

Duncan played great. Both teams were in fifth gear at a playoff-level intensity. This wasn't @ Charlotte on the second night of a back to back. If you want to point out that Manu and Tony shot poorly, so did Dirk and Terry. Dirk may not get 20 FTAs per game, but he won't shoot 5-15 on a regular basis either. Not much has changed, another playoff series between our two teams will be a war.

Holt's Cat
03-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Excuses, excuses.

Findog
03-01-2008, 01:37 AM
Excuses, excuses.

Exactly! "We played shitty but still won, unlike in the past when Devin and Diop would've led you guys to a 20-point blowout win."

The bias of this board is amusing at times. :lol

Trainwreck2100
03-01-2008, 01:40 AM
Dirk may not get 20 FTAs per game, .

yes he will

ChuckD
03-01-2008, 01:41 AM
Harris ain't that great. He'll be a good player for the Nets, but never, ever at Kidd's level. Harris will never sniff the All-Star Game.
There are a lot of "Milwaukee" nights in the East. Harris might already be in the top 3 PGs in the EC.

Sense
03-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Harris is extremely underrated... Maybe he'll shine in NJ...