PDA

View Full Version : Did Barry, Spurs Deliver Another Cheap Shot To Suns?

Bruno
03-01-2008, 11:09 AM
http://www.ktar.com/sports/?nid=21&sid=749527

February 29th, 2008 @ 8:04pm
by James Schmehl/Sports 620 KTAR

Brent Barry took his time to consider his options.

The veteran free agent was a wanted man by many - including a few elite teams in the West and even a top-tier team in the East.

In the end, the 36-year-old sharpshooter opted to return to his roots and sign with San Antonio.

But is it possible Barry knew where he would wind up all along?

Barry cleared waivers Tuesday morning and signed with the Spurs on Thursday - a week after being traded from his former squad to Seattle, which in turn, released him Friday.

"I think maybe there was something behind the scenes there," Suns GM Steve Kerr told Sports 620 KTAR.

Seattle acquired veteran center Kurt Thomas in exchange for Barry, center Francisco Elson and a 2009 first-round draft pick. However, the SuperSonics opted to buy out Barry's $5.6 million contract and release him on Friday.

Barry would seem to be a likely candidate to be waived due to his expiring contract, but consider the alternatives.

"If I'm Seattle, I'm not going to let Barry go, I'm going to let Donyell Marshall go," Kerr said.

Marshall, 35, is set to earn $5.6 million this year and $5.9 million in 2008-09.

"When you get all of those guys in those two trades, Brent's a guy who is much more productive," Kerr said. "Donyell Marshall doesn't have much more left in the tank."

However, Kerr suggested potential ties between the SuperSonics and the Spurs, which could account for Barry's buyout.

"(Seattle GM) Sam Presti used to be in San Antonio as an assistant," Kerr said. "Who knows? I don't have any proof of that and I'm not about to look into that."

Presti and Seattle coach P.J. Carlesimo both worked under Spurs coach and former GM Gregg Popovich at one time in their career.

Carlesimo was an assistant coach under Popovich from 2002-07 and Presti was the Assistant General Manager under Popovich.

It's a move that isn't uncommon in the NBA. In fact, a similar scenario was almost staged less than a month ago after the Dallas Mavericks and New Jersey Nets made an alleged prearranged agreement.

The NBA investigated the possibility the Mavericks and Jerry Stackhouse violated league rules with a prearranged agreement for the forward to return to Dallas after reaching a contract buyout in New Jersey and sitting out the 30-day waiting period.

The NBA threatened to squash that potential trade - what's preventing NBA Commissioner David Stern and Co. from intervening now?

"That doesn't bother me - that's just the way business is done and that's part of it, everybody does stuff like that," Kerr said.

Despite the loophole, Suns fans can't say Kerr still didn't try to change Barry's decision.

During Barry's free agency period, Kerr altered his already hectic road schedule to meet with the Barry family.

After traveling to Manhattan, Kansas in a scouting trip on Monday, he traveled to San Antonio on Tuesday in an attempt to lure Barry to Phoenix. Following his meeting with Barry, Kerr departed to Nashville, Tennessee to scout the Tennessee and Vanderbilt men's basketball game.

Unfortunately for Kerr, Barry's decision was likely made weeks before he even chartered his plane.

"He's been there almost four years and he's grown very close with those guys," Kerr said. "It was just too difficult of a decision for him to cut the cord."

The Spurs and Suns offered Barry a veteran's minimum contract for the rest of the season and next season, but he chose San Antonio, his team since 2004 and his family's home.

The commissioner's office might not have enough evidence to intervene and apply punishment if wrongdoings took place, but perhaps Barry's poor acting skills could be the catalyst the commissioner's office needs to tweak policies.

However, even more unsettling to Suns fans is the acting job Barry might have put on during his free agency reign.

It wasn't until the Suns issued him a deadline that Barry, who hasn't played since Dec. 31 due to a calf strain, made his decision to return to the Spurs.

Phoenix, along with interested parties Boston, Dallas and Houston, tried to woo Barry during his short-lived free agency period, but the veteran guard opted to sign with the team that had traded him less than a week prior.

But had Kerr not given Barry a cut-off date, would Barry have waited on his decision?

The Spurs likely wouldn't mind - he can't rejoin the Spurs until March 21 - 30 days after their initial trade - and Barry could hold off a decision due to his calf injury that will likely sideline him for another two weeks.

So, was Barry, who was described as "more confused than he was four days ago," by his brother, Jon, even pulling a fast one past his family?

"I thought we were going to get him at one point," Kerr said. "Ultimately, I think it was too difficult for Brent to pack up his family and go. He's very comfortable in San Antonio and it's tough to leave teammates."

Bruno
03-01-2008, 11:11 AM
If I'm Seattle, I'm not going to let Barry go, I'm going to let Donyell Marshall go.

:lmao
Kerr is a GM and he doesn't know CBA rules.
Waiving Marshall wasn't a possibility for Settle. they had to waive before trading with Cavs and Bulls.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-01-2008, 11:12 AM
:lmao
Kerr is a GM and he doesn't know CBA rules.
Waiving Marshall wasn't a possibility for Settle. they had to waive before trading with Cavs and Bulls.
:lmao That's exactly what I was gonna point out.
What an idiot.

SpurOutofTownFan
03-01-2008, 11:16 AM
The most important thing is that Kerr has become a whinny bitch and he takes it anywhere he goes. Also, he said there has to be something going on in the background but I'm not about to look into it - but just by saying it you are opening the door for others to do.

T Park
03-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Wow, I didn't think Kerr would go the Sarver D'Antoni route.

Wow.

Hey, if they want to waive Donyell Marshall too, I'll take him.

Donyell still does have something left in the tank, despite what Stevie says.

ChuckD
03-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Not to mention that I'm sure Cleveland did NOT send the money along in the trade to buy out Marshall's contract. They couldn't. The cap on trade cash is $3M. The Spurs could, since Barry was only owed the remaining pro-rated portion of this year's salary.

Kerr comes off as a bitter little bitch. What is it with our former guards that they turn into assholes when they leave here? First AJ, now Kerr? WTF? I guess Kerr is understandable, since he was only a transplant, cutting his teeth under the queen of all bitches, Phil Jackson.

tinysands
03-01-2008, 11:22 AM
However, even more unsettling to Suns fans is the acting job Barry might have put on during his free agency reign.

It wasn't until the Suns issued him a deadline that Barry, who hasn't played since Dec. 31 due to a calf strain, made his decision to return to the Spurs.

Phoenix, along with interested parties Boston, Dallas and Houston, tried to woo Barry during his short-lived free agency period, but the veteran guard opted to sign with the team that had traded him less than a week prior.

CIA Barry
:hat

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Kerr thinks this wasn't above board, yet also believed at one point that the Suns were going to get Barry? If it wasn't above board, how on Earth would he have ever thought he had a chance?

SpursWoman
03-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Kerr could have picked him up off of waivers ... anyone could have. So, tough shit. :lol

samikeyp
03-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Wow.

Maybe its in the water down there. :lol

T Park
03-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Kerr could have picked him up off of waivers ... anyone could have. So, tough shit. :lol

Exactly, if hes gonna blame anyone, blame his cheap ass owner.

Thats right Holt haters, I called Sarver a cheap ass.

samikeyp
03-01-2008, 11:32 AM

:lol

yet another reason why SW rules! :tu

polandprzem
03-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Wow.

Yup like Penny had right man?

Dave McNulla
03-01-2008, 11:34 AM
the suns wanted barry on the cheap. they didn't want to use their trade exception.

when you give half an effort and you lose, you should just acknowledge that you gave half an effort.

Bruno
03-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Barry being waived has been said by Ludden way before the Cavs/Bulls trade.

To me, either is was an under the table agreement between spurs and Sonics or Presti wanted to be nice with Barry.

T Park
03-01-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm sure it was said to Barry "When your waived, wed like you back" *wink wink*

Could there have been something? I'm sure, but to come out and whine about it because he chose another team over you is bush league and childish. I honestly though Steve Kerr was better than this.

polandprzem
03-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Well no matter what

Barry could go somwhere else. Even if Pop knew Presti would let Barry go he also knew that Barry could go to another contender.

It was barry's decision no doubt about it (IMHO)

So I have no problems with that

manufor3
03-01-2008, 11:53 AM
:lol :lol :lol

nfg3
03-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Is it the Phoenix mindset with D'Antoni and Sarver or what? Kerr :blah needs to get a grip. If this is business as usual then why all the complaining?

As for "Barry's poor acting skills could be the catalyst the commissioner's office needs to tweak policies" is really weak. They're :fishing. Frankly the Gasol "where did that come from" trade should be the one they are upset about. Anyway they have the Diesel now so everything should just fine. Right? :smokin

polandprzem
03-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm not taking what Kerr said as a complaining.

he also said
"That doesn't bother me - that's just the way business is done and that's part of it, everybody does stuff like that," Kerr said.

callo1
03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
"When you get all of those guys in those two trades, Brent's a guy who is much more productive," Kerr said. "Donyell Marshall doesn't have much more left in the tank."

Marshall goes for 30 and hits the game winner the next time he plays against the suns:)

C'mon Stevie, 2 things... you need to borrow Isaiah Thomas's GM's for dummies, and you need to not give other players bulletin board material.

I like ya Steve...always have, but after the Snaq trade and these quotes, I'm left shaking my head.

Why do players like Steve and Avery look like brainy MENSA types when in SA, and then soon as they leave, they become mindless?

Lack of Pop?

Pop is soooo underated !!

nfg3
03-01-2008, 12:18 PM
I'll probably settle for Kerr venting on this one. polandprzem -You're right about him mentioning that's its a business but I was kinda reading between the lines and going with my gut on this one. It sounded like at first he was upset and implying some type of colusion between Seattle and SA but seemingly backed off of that later. KTAR 360 then really jumped all over that. Kerr is probably just pissed that he didin't get the perimeter help the Suns needed.

Slydragon
03-01-2008, 12:19 PM

he also said

That's what I was thinking, Everbody? He should expect a phone call from the league asking more questions, Because he had to make that statement.

BillsCarnage
03-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Kerr said. "Donyell Marshall doesn't have much more left in the tank."

This coming from someone who just traded for Shaq???? LMAO

T Park
03-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeah I forgot the irony there :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-01-2008, 12:22 PM
"I think maybe there was something behind the scenes there," Suns GM Steve Kerr told Sports 620 KTAR.

"(Seattle GM) Sam Presti used to be in San Antonio as an assistant," Kerr said. "Who knows? I don't have any proof of that and I'm not about to look into that."

"He's been there almost four years and he's grown very close with those guys," Kerr said. "It was just too difficult of a decision for him to cut the cord."

"I thought we were going to get him at one point," Kerr said. "Ultimately, I think it was too difficult for Brent to pack up his family and go. He's very comfortable in San Antonio and it's tough to leave teammates."

Wait, so on the one hand, he thinks something shady was going on, but doesn't want to get into it, but thinks it was shady, but can't prove it.

Then he says "I understand why he made his decision, it was too hard to cut his ties with the team and his teammates", which is totally understandable and above board.

Fuck you Kerr, inconsistent little fuck. He went to the Avery Johnson school of backstabbing, it appears.

Sigz
03-01-2008, 12:25 PM
He's just confused because he has Shaq.

He probably is still wondering why he traded for him.

JPB
03-01-2008, 12:34 PM
He's not that whining IMO.
Sure, he has one or two shots at Spurs Fo and Brent but is also saying :

td4mvp21
03-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Fuck Steve Kerr, that's all I gotta say.

polandprzem
03-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I'll probably settle for Kerr venting on this one. polandprzem -You're right about him mentioning that's its a business but I was kinda reading between the lines and going with my gut on this one. It sounded like at first he was upset and implying some type of colusion between Seattle and SA but seemingly backed off of that later. KTAR 360 then really jumped all over that. Kerr is probably just pissed that he didin't get the perimeter help the Suns needed.

Well I think he was more pissed about Shaq not giving Suns what Kerr was saying he will give, all the time.

I still don't know where Shaq can improve. I have no idea.

Now Kerr needed a shooting punch that Suns had in 2005. Now they miss that a bit considerating the suns defense problems and offensive style of play.

Btw. Aggie how those words compare to what Pop said about Pau?

Aha I know - Fire Pop :rolleyes

fyatuk
03-01-2008, 01:19 PM
:lmao That's exactly what I was gonna point out.
What an idiot.

Same here.

Apparently Amare's stupidity is catching. Can we quarantine Phoenix while the CDC investigates? :spin

K-State Spur
03-01-2008, 01:30 PM

he also said

Adding a qualifier at the end doesn't really erase the whining.

It's like the person who says, "No offense, but..." then proceeds to completely insult you.

xmas1997
03-01-2008, 01:32 PM
I doubt anything underhanded occurred, however, I wish there had been since they would never be able to prove it, and it would have been another slap in the face.

polandprzem
03-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Adding a qualifier at the end doesn't really erase the whining.

It's like the person who says, "No offense, but..." then proceeds to completely insult you.

I get it

But than again.
Was Pop also complaining about Pau going to LA?

T Park
03-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Uh yeah he was, but theres a difference in the trades.

The Spurs didn't acquire a former all star 15 and 9 guy for nothing like the Lakers did.

K-State Spur
03-01-2008, 01:48 PM

As a bunch of teams were, Pop was the only one with the cajones to stamp his name on the statement.

There's a big difference between Barry re-signing as a released player vs. the Lakers trading for another team's franchise player and only having to give up scrubs, low round picks, and the expiring contract of one of the worst #1 overall picks in league history.

Budkin
03-01-2008, 02:01 PM
It was obviously set up in advance and most of us knew it was CIA. Brent just did a great job selling it. But Kerr is trying to stir shit up just because he realizes now that he made a horrible move trading for Shaq. I'll always love Stevie for his tenure with the Spurs and the big shots he hit, but as Suns GM he can suck it.

td4mvp21
03-01-2008, 02:03 PM
It was obviously set up in advance and most of us knew it was CIA. Brent just did a great job selling it. But Kerr is trying to stir shit up just because he realizes now that he made a horrible move trading for Shaq. I'll always love Stevie for his tenure with the Spurs and the big shots he hit, but as Suns GM he can suck it.

:tu

ClingingMars
03-01-2008, 02:05 PM
I get it

But than again.

this is shoplifting - that was grand larceny.

-Mars

Phenomanul
03-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Kerr is just bitter he ultimately set the table for the Spurs to pick up Thomas (I guy Pop has been trying to sign for years).

On top of that they essentially lost Marion, and took on an additional 40 million dollar contract, to replace what they didn't want to pay 8 million for Thomas to do. :wtf

Kerr is just trying to divert Sunsfan attention from his inneptitudes as GM.

ChumpDumper
03-01-2008, 02:30 PM
The commissioner's office might not have enough evidence to intervene and apply punishment if wrongdoings took place, but perhaps Barry's poor acting skills could be the catalyst the commissioner's office needs to tweak policies.

However, even more unsettling to Suns fans is the acting job Barry might have put on during his free agency reign.Hey, douchebag.

If you can't tell if a guy is acting, it's a very good acting job.

CubanMustGo
03-01-2008, 02:32 PM
I still think it would be funny if Cuban offered Gordan Giracek more money (like he did Barry) and stole him away from Phoenix. The whining from SunFanLand would really crescendo.

ChumpDumper
03-01-2008, 02:35 PM
The Spurs colluded with the Sonics to make Barry exclusively available to teams with large trade exceptions for two days.

Extra Stout
03-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Poooooooooooooor Suns.

polandprzem
03-01-2008, 02:56 PM
The Spurs colluded with the Sonics to make Barry exclusively available to teams with large trade exceptions for two days.

Ok, I like you irony all the way, but seriously if that was a set up from start to finish it would be a total failure.
I mean why should not Barry take a chance with better opurnieties in Phoenix. He is now stacked in San Antonio and still he won't play big minutes.

ChumpDumper
03-01-2008, 02:59 PM
That might actually be a plus to Barry given his injury situation. He basically is choosing how to end his career next season. By not playing for Steve Kerr, he is actually going to become Steve Kerr.

Without being a backstabbing, whiny bitch.

polandprzem
03-01-2008, 03:04 PM
That might actually be a plus to Barry given his injury situation.

yea but that's not the issue. If he gets 2-3 year contract again he will be in the same situation.
On Suns squad he would eanr minutes. No worries about shots, he could shoot and shoot and shoot.
Plus new opurtunieties after this season.

hmm

timvp
03-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Those might be the dumbest set of quotes I've ever read. I'm shocked, really. I may not be the biggest Kerr fan on earth but I never realized he was this stupid.

timvp
03-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Oh and I wonder if Spur Fan still consideres him one of the best players in franchise history. You've overrated him this far, you might as well stay on the bandwagon.

:rollin

Agloco
03-01-2008, 03:05 PM
http://www.ktar.com/sports/?nid=21&sid=749527

February 29th, 2008 @ 8:04pm
by James Schmehl/Sports 620 KTAR

......The NBA investigated the possibility the Mavericks and Jerry Stackhouse violated league rules with a prearranged agreement for the forward to return to Dallas after reaching a contract buyout in New Jersey and sitting out the 30-day waiting period.

The NBA threatened to squash that potential trade - what's preventing NBA Commissioner David Stern and Co. from intervening now?..........

Um, perhaps the fact that Brent has a few more brain cells than Stackhouse and kept his mouth shut?

polandprzem
03-01-2008, 03:06 PM
He basically is choosing how to end his career next season. By not playing for Steve Kerr, he is actually going to become Steve Kerr.

Without being a backstabbing, whiny bitch.
imo he has got more than a year to play

Agloco
03-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I get it

But than again.

Apples and Oranges.....

polandprzem
03-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Apples and Oranges.....

Is it?

ChumpDumper
03-01-2008, 03:13 PM
imo he has got more than a year to playReduced playing time might extend his career. Big minutes on a running team (when Shaq is out, I guess) might have cut it short.

Agloco
03-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Is it?

Sorry, you're right.

It's Gasols and Barrys.......

ClingingMars
03-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Is it?

HOF vs bench player? why is this question even necessary?

-Mars

timvp
03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I have to hand it to Sarver. He found an overrated, whiny, soft, three-point reliant crybaby to be the general manager overseeing Mike D'Antoni. Hand meet glove.

timvp
03-01-2008, 04:17 PM
http://spurstalk.com/kerrbarry.jpg

ClingingMars
03-01-2008, 04:25 PM

awesome photoshop job

:lmao :lmao :lmao

-Mars

Agloco
03-01-2008, 04:26 PM

:lol :lol

Looks like Brent needs some sun though......

T Park
03-01-2008, 04:27 PM
:lmao FTW

Herschel Walker
03-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Lets see... Another overrated, whiny, backstabbing Spurs guard. When is this one's jersey retirement ceremony slated for?

shelshor
03-01-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm sure it was said to Barry "When your waived, wed like you back" *wink wink*

Could there have been something? I'm sure, but to come out and whine about it because he chose another team over you is bush league and childish. I honestly though Steve Kerr was better than this.
I quit thinking that after he started whining from the broadcast booth about Duncan & Bowen stepping on the court just before Duhmare & Diaw got themselves suspended during the playoffs last season

Holt's Cat
03-01-2008, 05:36 PM
So the Suns gave him a deadline and he gave them a decision. What's the problem? What move did this prevent the Suns from making?

Kerr knows the Sonics needed to waive someone prior to completing the trade.

Of course, the only reason Barry was even available was due to him being waived. Kerr didn't seem to believe that Barry was not a potential addition when he was recruiting Barry.

Kerr just needs an excuse and what better than to dip into the Stern/Spurs conspiratorial nonsense propagated by tin-foil hat wearing Suns fans?

td4mvp21
03-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Lets see... Another overrated, whiny, backstabbing Spurs guard. When is this one's jersey retirement ceremony slated for?

Ouch.

m33p0
03-01-2008, 07:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080301-02

There were actually two interested teams in the Brent Barry hunt -- as much as we love Bones, not sure we can call it a full-fledged sweepstakes -- that could have claimed Barry off waivers.

Neither Phoenix nor Golden State had anywhere close to the requisite salary-cap room to absorb Barry's $5.5 million salary, but both teams possess a sizable trade exception that, according to league rules, could have been used to snag Barry before he had the right to choose his next stop after clearing waivers.

The Suns, though, are more than $3.5 million into luxury-tax territory already. Had they used their $8.1 million trade exception created last summer when Kurt Thomas was dealt to Seattle, Barry would have cost them nearly $8 million for the rest of the season in salary and tax payments. Although Barry had less than half of his salary remaining with all teams at or close to the 60-game mark, Phoenix would have been required to pay the full $5.5 million in luxury tax on Barry at season's end.

So as much as it would have loved to have him, Phoenix naturally preferred to let Barry clear waivers and then try to convince him not to return to the Spurs. Yet once Barry decided against a switch to the desert, I'd still say it makes more sense for the Suns to settle for Philadelphia's freshly waived Gordan Giricek as a minimum-salaried addition, as opposed to bringing Barry in on a high-dollar waiver claim.

Golden State, meanwhile, quietly chased Barry (and his Bay Area ties) hard and still has a $9,999,999 trade exception from its Jason Richardson trade with Charlotte on draft night. The Warriors, furthermore, are some $8.3 million under the luxury-tax threshold, meaning that they could have claimed Barry off waivers with no tax liability.

Yet it appears that the Warriors preferred to hold onto the trade exception -- which doesn't expire until four days after this June's draft -- to save it for something bigger. Which is likewise hard to argue given that many more player-acquisition possibilities present themselves closer to the draft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once Barry cleared waivers, Dallas had the most to offer financially. That's because the Mavs declined to spend their $5.2 million mid-level exception last summer and still had more than $3.7 million of that amount to offer to the various buyout recipients like Barry and Sam Cassell, even though all leftover mid-level exceptions get reduced by $31,506 per day starting Jan. 10.

But NBA front-office sources say that Dallas, like Phoenix, was not prepared to make a major cash expenditure on a player who might or might not make a significant stretch-run impact.

With the Mavs believing all along that Barry was headed back to San Antonio, sources say Dallas offered him $1.5 million for the rest of this season and $1.5 million next season.
cheap shot kerr.

xmas1997
03-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Really surprised at Kerr, unless his words were said sarcastically and are being taken out of context.

2centsworth
03-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm shocked Kerr would backstab the Spurs. This guy just dropped 5 notches in my book.

whottt
03-01-2008, 07:47 PM
backstabbing is only ok when Avery(retired jersey)Johnson does it

timvp
03-01-2008, 07:49 PM
I don't know the difference between a coach doing his job by trying to win and a general manager backstabbing. And Steve Kerr won the 2003 championship by himself because Tim Duncan told Pop to tell Kerr to do so

SequSpur
03-01-2008, 07:54 PM
ahh...to bad bonner has to sell cotton candy now...

Que Gee
03-01-2008, 08:24 PM
I'd be really surprised if they weren't taken out of context. Its odd.

ShoogarBear
03-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Steve Kerr vs. Brent Barry?

There hasn't been this much internal consternation in whottt's mind since David Robinson vs. Coyote.

TampaDude
03-01-2008, 08:50 PM
I hope Barry hits a game-winning 3 the next time we play the Suns... :lol

ShoogarBear
03-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Personally I'm rooting for a putback by Kurt Thomas.

whottt
03-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Steve Kerr vs. Brent Barry?

There hasn't been this much internal consternation in whottt's mind since David Robinson vs. Coyote.

Fuck Steve Kerr...

I say we don't retire his jersey :td

GSH
03-01-2008, 11:49 PM

"If I'm Seattle, I'm not going to let Barry go, I'm going to let Donyell Marshall go," Kerr said.

Marshall, 35, is set to earn $5.6 million this year and $5.9 million in 2008-09.

However, Kerr suggested potential ties between the SuperSonics and the Spurs, which could account for Barry's buyout.

In general, it's presumptuous for Steve Kerr to be second-guessing Sam Presti on personnel decisions. But I'm damned certain that Kerr hasn't earned the right to question Presti's integrity. (Or Barry's, Holt's, and Popovich's.) And don't try to sugar coat it, that's exactly what he did. He said straight out, "I think maybe there was something behind the scenes there." That's for the league to decide, and unless Kerr has some proof he has no business saying it. Stern ought to hit him with a fine.

The Sonics are building a young team around Kevin Durant. In all their trade negotiations, they made it plain they wanted expiring contracts, draft picks, or young prospects. Everything about this trade is consistent with their very well understood strategy.

This season is clearly a lost cause for the Sonics, so their focus is solidly on next season. Kurt Thomas is an older veteran, and he becomes an unrestricted free agent after this season. He's not part of their building program, so the trade makes perfect sense there, too.

Here are some other facts that give some context to the trade:
1. Kerr gave the Sonics Kurt Thomas PLUS two first round draft picks, in exchange for an $8M trade exception. (Okay, Phoenix also got a conditional future second round pick.) If the Sonics had been more competitive this year, Thomas would have helped. But the real prize was the two first round picks.
2. For sending Thomas to the Spurs, the Sonics got two expiring contracts plus another first round pick. That's consistent with what Presti was asking from all his negotiations. The trade gives the Sonics 2 first round picks in each of the next three drafts. Not to mention the 7 second rounders in those three drafts. Gee... what could Presti be thinking?
3. Others have already mentioned that Marshall was not an option, no matter what Kerr says. Even if he was, Barry was never going to be a part of the Sonics building program either. But they still have to field a team for the rest of the year, and Marshall is averaging about 13 minutes for them. Barry plays the same position as Kevin Durant, Damien Wilkins, Delonte West and Mickeal Gelabale. Plus, he's out with a recurring injury. What would make Kerr think the Sonics needed to keep him? Everybody knew Barry was going to get offered a buyout. They even mentioned it in the press releases when the trade got made.

Kerr has proven to be quite an asshole. He was totally out of line while announcing for TNT after accepting the GM job in Phoenix, and he went too far with some of his comments. (Not just my opinion... Pop verbally kicked his ass for it too.) If he had any class at all, he would have stopped some of the crap that got talked during those playoffs, rather than participating in it. He backstabbed people who had been his teammates, and an organization that had treated him very well. I never thought he fit with that whiny-ass D'Antoni, but I was wrong.

But this recent commentary is something else again. If he really thought there was a back-door deal, he should have brought his case to the league instead of courting Barry. But making those unsupported public statements after the fact is way over the top. He attacked Barry's integrity... and Presti's... and Holt and Popovich's. But it's also an attack on the credibility of the league. None of that should have been done publicly.

I wrote Kerr off after the TNT incident, and this incident doesn't surprise me. But he ought to have to answer to Stern for his comments, if not all the other people involved.

smackdaddy11
03-02-2008, 12:31 AM
I keep reading Barry got bought out. Not true. He was waived. This means he gets his entire salary for the year plus what he signs for with the Spurs.

He wouldn't go through waivers if he was bought out. He would be free to sign with whoever immediately.

Barry was traded, never had to leave his home (never reported to Sea), receive his full contract, AND signed with whoever. Think Brent didn't have a little appreciation for the Spurs?

T Park
03-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Yeah Barry recieved a raise for getting traded.

What a tough life :lol

GSH
03-02-2008, 12:36 AM
I keep reading Barry got bought out. Not true. He was waived. This means he gets his entire salary for the year plus what he signs for with the Spurs.

He wouldn't go through waivers if he was bought out. He would be free to sign with whoever immediately.

Barry was traded, never had to leave his home (never reported to Sea), receive his full contract, AND signed with whoever. Think Brent didn't have a little appreciation for the Spurs?

You're right. Bad choice of words. The point, though, was that nobody expected Seattle to keep him on the roster. That's not why they took him in the trade.

timvp
03-02-2008, 01:18 AM

Barry was traded, never had to leave his home (never reported to Sea), receive his full contract, AND signed with whoever. Think Brent didn't have a little appreciation for the Spurs?Damn, a smackdaddy11 sighting :wow

PM5K
03-02-2008, 01:38 AM
Bulletin board material, lol, the guy has barely even played this season...

polandprzem
03-02-2008, 01:45 AM
HOF vs bench player? why is this question even necessary?

-Mars

Crying is crying, cheap shot is cheap shot, complaining is complaining

Am I missing something

btw. what does Kerr (player) got to do with Kerr (GM) ?

Manu-of-steel
03-02-2008, 07:46 AM
kerr is obviously upset that he wasn't able to get barry to sign with the setting suns- so he criticized the spurs and barry. it's quite understandable. plus, looking at how their team is playing, i would feel the same too. depressing...

smackdaddy11
03-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Damn, a smackdaddy11 sighting

Sup. I'm always around here reading. You pretty much cover what I would say anyway.

nkdlunch
03-02-2008, 10:58 AM
This is all a smoke screen. Kerr is an agent from CIA POP that has infiltrated the Suns org and made them the laughingstock of the NBA.

LOL at the owner and D'antoni who approved the Shaq trade

bigfan
03-02-2008, 11:17 AM
An unfortunate statement by Kerr but Im going to let it slide this time. He's earned one for his SA playing days and hopefully he just let his anger get the best of him. Very uncharacteristic of him.

Ishta
03-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Sounds like sour grapes to me.....Steve Kerr who would have thought he would have acquired Mark Cuban syndrome?

SpurAddict561
03-02-2008, 04:21 PM
It's great that we're getting Brent back...

He's a huge part of our bench and doesn't hesitate to take the big shots.