PDA

View Full Version : Marion Questions Teammates' Desire

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Marion questions teammates' desire
By CHRIS PERKINS
Saturday, March 01, 2008

SEATTLE — Forward Shawn Marion has been with the Heat only a little more than three weeks, but he already has expressed concern on more than one occasion about the determination of his teammates.

The latest comments came Thursday night after a 106-88 loss to the Lakers in a game televised from Los Angeles by TNT.

"We've got a national TV game. You're telling me you can't get pumped up and come out with fire? That's frustrating. We've got dig deeper," said Marion, who was obtained from Phoenix on Feb. 6 in the Shaquille O'Neal trade.

Lakers reserve guard Jordan Farmar made 9 of 14 shots from the field and led all scorers with 24 points.

"Their bench comes in and gives them energy, our bench needs to come in and give us energy," said Marion, who was in Seattle with his teammates to face the SuperSonics on Friday night. "It's got to be an even swap. We can't have it one-sided."

Miami fell behind 22-6 in the first quarter and never recovered. It was the Heat's sixth loss in the seven games since Marion donned a Heat jersey.

"It's hard, man," he said. "I'm used to being a leader on the floor, but it's got to be everybody. When everybody starts to feel pain, to feel that pain, and get (upset) on the floor ... then this will end. Until that happens, it's never going to end."

But his teammates didn't seem overly bothered by the loss. As Marion spoke in the post-game locker room, they unwittingly illustrated his point by casually joking in the background.

Marion also voiced frustration with the club's attitude after a 112-100 loss at Houston on Feb. 21 and after a 101-96 overtime defeat two days later against Philadelphia.

"That was a tough, tough, tough loss for him," coach Pat Riley said of the Sixers game, in which the Heat took a 96-91 lead in overtime but let Philadelphia finish on a 10-0 run.

"I think that was the first time he really felt it," Riley said of the malaise afflicting the Heat.

Marion's former team is playing for an NBA title this season while his new team is playing out the string.

"Sometimes you get caught in a situation that you've got to deal with, so he's trying to deal with it as best he can right now," Riley said.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/heat/content/sports/epaper/2008/03/01/a13b_heat_0301.html

mavsfan1000
03-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Bwahaha at Marion on the pathetic Heat team. I'm loving it. :D

Matchman
03-01-2008, 02:11 PM
their players dont know when to stop shooting and give the ball to their stars
I dont want anyone on that team to shoot besides Dwhistle, Marion, or maybe Davis

boutons_
03-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Shut up to the press, talk to your teammates, lead by example.

Perhaps the Heat are irretrievably dead in the water. Whatever, just shut up to the press.

Findog
03-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Haha. I thought this was what he wanted, the opportunity showcase himself. Now he knows how his Suns teammates felt when he wouldn't get his head out of his ass and stop bitching about how many more Ashley Furniture tv commercials and bobblehead dolls Nash and Stoudemire had over him.

duncan228
03-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Didn't take long for him to start bitching again.

iminlakerland
03-01-2008, 02:17 PM
he for sure is opting out...miami say bye bye to Marion.

Ronaldo McDonald
03-01-2008, 02:25 PM
the more this guy opens his mouth the more i hate him.

td4mvp21
03-01-2008, 02:27 PM
He asked for a trade and he got it. STFU

Findog
03-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Hell no he's not opting out. Nobody is paying him $17 million a year.

td4mvp21
03-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Hell no he's not opting out. Nobody is paying him $17 million a year.

Latrell Sprewell Part II?

T Park
03-01-2008, 02:35 PM
He wanted to be the man on a lottery team.

IIRC it was ESPN the Magazine article where he had to "think long and hard"

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Miami fell behind 22-6 in the first quarter and never recovered.

"Their bench comes in and gives them energy, our bench needs to come in and give us energy," said Marion

Looks like an excellent analysis blaming the bench there, Shawn. :tu

K-State Spur
03-01-2008, 02:56 PM
their players dont know when to stop shooting and give the ball to their stars
I dont want anyone on that team to shoot besides Dwhistle, Marion, or maybe Davis

do you really want Marion 'shooting' the ball?

Matchman
03-01-2008, 05:05 PM
do you really want Marion 'shooting' the ball?

by that i mean layups and dunks too. I would rather have him doing the offense than scrubs like JWill or EBarron going 1-15 or something. They just dont know when to stop shooting. Threre is a reason teams left them open, you know.

ducks
03-01-2008, 07:16 PM
I feel somewhat for him
I would be upset if my teamates did not go out and give 100%

I think that is all what marion wants

timvp
03-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Be careful what you wish for . . .

EastsBeasts
03-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Whatever the Heat are tanking the season to get a high draft pick. I'm sure you Spurs fans know all about teams tanking seasons. :downspin:

Obstructed_View
03-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Looks like an excellent analysis blaming the bench there, Shawn. :tu
I noticed the same thing. If you go down 22-6 to start the game, it's not the bench who's to blame for that. Marion took teammates who play to win for granted just because they don't love him. I doubt his Heat teammates are going to love him, and they don't care about doing anything other than drawing a paycheck.

ElNono
03-01-2008, 07:46 PM
I wonder how long until he's dialing Nash back and asking for an 'undo'

Jeremy
03-01-2008, 08:39 PM
What are the chances that he'll opt out and sign with the Suns for the MLE? ;)

ChuckD
03-01-2008, 08:51 PM
What are the chances that he'll opt out and sign with the Suns for the MLE? ;)
Zero. Players don't take 67% paycuts voluntarily. He'll play in Miami next year unless they trade him again this summer for other assets. If he was pissy about his role in PHO making big dollahs, can you IMAGINE his shit if he's making the MLE?

xcomp
03-02-2008, 04:01 AM
Shut up to the press, talk to your teammates, lead by example.

Perhaps the Heat are irretrievably dead in the water. Whatever, just shut up to the press.

Can't say I blame him though. According to the article, he *did* try to talk to his teammates afterwards. But they didn't pay attention, they were busy cracking jokes in the background. I think they're just numb ... numb to losing. They don't care anymore. This is where Riley has failed -- he has lost his team. I remember when the Rockets were down a couple of years ago with half their team on IR, JVG still managed to get his players to compete and play to win every single night, refusing to ever accept the excuse of being outmatched in talent. Most fans hated the fact that he wasn't tanking games for a high lottery pick, but man... when you see a team like this Miami Heat team, it can't get worse.

MajicMan
03-02-2008, 04:22 AM
Marion is so dumb, obviously he's not in on the "tanking".

TDMVPDPOY
03-02-2008, 04:39 AM
heat is clearly tankn, he shouldve known that b4 askn for a trade