PDA

View Full Version : When did you first hear about Tim Duncan?

Galileo
03-01-2008, 02:53 PM
When did you first hear about Tim Duncan?

And what are you early memories of him?

[Caveat - I'm from Madison, Wisconsin, not a big NBA area or state. I got this idea from Ron Paul bloggers who asked the same question about when they first heard of Ron Paul. Both Ron Paul and Tim Duncan are very under-rated, of impeccable moral character, brilliant, the best at what they do, and from Texas.]

I first heard of Tim Duncan during the 1995 ACC tournament. I remember watching these games and Randolph Childress was going nuts, scoring like crazy, mostly on threes. And there was this tall young skinny guy named Duncan getting rebounds, blocking shots and hugging his teammates.

I barely remember Duncan, but that's the first I heard of him. I then remember him, at some point, going up against Marcus Camby in an NCAA game, I can't remember if it was an NCAA tourney game, or a pre-season tournament game. I remember reading, after the fact, that Duncan might have been the # 1 pick in the 1995 draft. That was the year the first four picks were sophomores from the ACC (Joe Smith, McDyess, Rasheed Wallace, Stackhouse). Duncan was a sophomore from the ACC as well, but Duncan was two years younger than those other guys. Kevin Garnett, just out of high school was the 5th pick. He was the same age as Duncan. (The 7th, 10th and 21st picks that year are Duncan's teammates Damon Stoudemire, Kurt Thomas, and Michael Finley.)

After Duncan made the NBA, I used to read the box scores in the paper to see how he did. But I never really watched him until the '99 Finals. He was so dominating, he looked like Olajuwon out there the way he posted up, but with a better outside jump shot and much younger. Olajuwon was my favorite player at that time, but he was getting old and injured and had just been slaughtered by Shaq in a playoff series.

That's when I became a Duncan fan.

So when did YOU first hear of Tim Duncan?

Hope everyone enjoys this topic.

Agloco
03-01-2008, 02:56 PM
TIMMAY!!!!!!

Who the hell is that?

vander
03-01-2008, 03:00 PM
never heard of him until the ping pong balls bounced in the Spurs favor, then I started to take notice of the guy they were probably going to pick. and once again in 2008 I still couldn't tell you the name of a single college basketball player. :oops

JPB
03-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Who's Tim Duncan ?

WalterBenitez
03-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Wake Forest future NBA player, dunno when? :oops

Later I follow him at twin tower team, mainly because of I like black uniform of Spurs :oops x 2, and drafted an ARG's kiddo.

The * championship season was the first year I follow them :toast

Later came Manu, and here I am.

E20
03-01-2008, 03:34 PM
I don't follow College Hoops. I saw him first in 97 in a game against teh Rockets I think. I'm not too sure since I was in 3rd grade in 1997 :lol

porscha
03-01-2008, 03:38 PM
never heard of him until the ping pong balls bounced in the Spurs favor, then I started to take notice of the guy they were probably going to pick. and once again in 2008 I still couldn't tell you the name of a single college basketball player. :oops
I’m like you and saw Timmy the first time at his first game with spurs, the first impression was... that guy is ugly :p: but played well.. And at his first time step to the free throw line.... I flip from my chair and can not stop laughing... :dramaquee because of...his arm pit hair looks so very very very extremely hum.. :dizzy FOREST ... :lol :lol :lol
And he quickly trims it after few games and I still wondering who told him to and HOW :oops ..hahaha
:lol :lol :lol

VaSpursFan
03-01-2008, 03:55 PM
grew up on ACC basketball although my college was in the big east. been a fan of timmay since his frosh year at Wake Forest as a 16 year old phenom. decided then that wherever he was drafted that would be my new favorite team. i was a big DRob from his days at the Naval Academy so when he was drafted by the Spurs they became my favorite team. i was ecstatic when timmay ended up a Spur, i didn't have to have 2 favorite teams!

Sense
03-01-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't remember but now that I know I'm never forgetting him.

bdictjames
03-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Probably in 2002. Against the Lakers, who were seemingly unstoppable back then. Tim and the Spurs beat them, but it wasn't till the championship run on 2003 that got me hooked on NBA basketball and the Spurs.

ClingingMars
03-01-2008, 04:23 PM
I grew up watching UVa basketball, and seeing Duncan dominate wasn't fun. Until now, of course.

-Mars

ChuckD
03-01-2008, 04:50 PM
I used to follow college b-ball up to the point when all the best players went pro.

So I am not allowed to have a fucking signature AT ALL NOW? Again, fuck you, asshole.
I don't think that's the case. I think everyone was asked to self-moderate, use smaller pictures and position them more horizontally so people don't have to scroll 3 pages to exit your post and get to the next one. If you want to be a big baby, that's up to you.

T Park
03-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Spring of 97 during the NCAA tourny when he got knocked out early on I think by Camby and the Terps. Played good, but had zero help and at the time they said "Will be the consensus number 1 pick"

I didn't think the Spurs could realisticly win the lottery so I was thinking about Adonal Foyle and other bigs that could help out David Robinson. Good old may came along...

ClingingMars
03-01-2008, 04:52 PM
I used to follow college b-ball up to the point when all the best players went pro.

I don't think that's the case. I think everyone was asked to self-moderate, use smaller pictures and position them more horizontally so people don't have to scroll 3 pages to exit your post and get to the next one. If you want to be a big baby, that's up to you.

I took away the gif, and the quote isn't THAT long. Quite honestly I think it is ya'll who are cryin' about it.

-Mars

dbreiden83080
03-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm not really into College Basketball so i was not following his career at Wake. I heard of him certainly when the draft was nearing and the ping pong balls did not go the Celtics way as everyone was saying that Duncan would be the prize of the draft and Boston needed him BAD. I do remember when the pick went to the Spurs some so called "Expert" said he was "not sure the Spurs needed Duncan because they had Robinson" :drunk :drunk

Thank GOD they did not listen to that idiot.

K-State Spur
03-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I grew up watching UVa basketball, and seeing Duncan dominate wasn't fun. Until now, of course.

-Mars

UVA wins the ACC in '95 if Burrough, Alexander, Deane, and Staples don't get swept by Childress (who was an absolute beast that year) & Duncan.

Galileo
03-01-2008, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=ChuckD]I used to follow college b-ball up to the point when all the best players went pro.

QUOTE]

Agreed. The top college players used to play at least until their junior year. The greatest high school class of all time was the class of '81, and only Enis Whatley went pro after his sophomore year.

When Timmy was a a sophomore in the mid 90s, was when I stopped being a college B-ball fan.

Did anyone here see the '95 ACC tornament? In retrospect, I can see how great Timmy was. Childress scored zillions of points but couldn't even make the NBA, barely, it was Timmy who made things go.

BonnerDynasty
03-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Ran into Three Wise Men out in the desert one day.

MajorMike
03-01-2008, 05:12 PM
The 1995 NCAA. OSU went to the Final Four that year. Along the way, they beat Malik Rose (Drexel), Antionio McDyess (Alabama), Tim Duncan (Wake - 1 seed) and Marcus Camby (UMass - 2 seed).

K-State Spur
03-01-2008, 06:09 PM

-Mars

The weird thing is, the worst UVA team of the past 25 years or so actually got him in UHall during his POY season.

Sec24Row7
03-01-2008, 06:29 PM
I remember my friend in college Charlie Geness saying before the draft lottery that we were about to watch in the Bose Dorm common room at SMU my freshman year of college that if the Spurs got Tim Duncan it was over.

Haven't seen Charlie in like 9 years... Glad he was a prophet though.

(he had been a ball boy for the rockets in their 2 championship seasons)

Bob Lanier
03-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Mid '97. I don't really follow the junior leagues very much.

remingtonbo2001
03-01-2008, 06:34 PM
I remember reading an article about Duncan during his senior year. I remember thinking how great it would be to have him playing next to D-Rob. (It at the beginning of the season, before D-Rob went out)

I then proceeded to create him on NBA Live 96' placing him next to 5-Oh.
And.. Oh and it was awesome. If only it were reality.

Then David got injured and well...we all know how the ping pong balls bounced later that year. :)

SenorSpur
03-01-2008, 06:35 PM
I've got a couple of recollections of Duncan.

I first got wind of Tim during his junior season at Wake Forest. I didn't watch much college basketball. However because the Wake Forest team was so very good, their highlights dominated the ESPN Sportscenter. That's when I first saw the poise, the footwork, the defensive prowess. I began to understand why everyone was touting Duncan as the best player in college basketball.

Being the Spurs fan that I am, I dreamed about what it'd be like to have this guy on the Spurs. Of course, it was just a mere fantasy, as the Spurs were perennial playoff participants. I later remember hearing all the scuttle-butt about whether Tim would leave school early to enter the NBA draft. Of course, Tim stayed for his senior season. I didn't know, at the time, what a fortunate decision that would be for the Spurs franchise.

Fast forward to the 96-97 NBA season (Tim' senior season as Wake) and all the injuries that ravaged the Spurs roster - including D-Rob and Elliott. As the losses mounted for the Spurs, I started to think more and more about the possibility of the Spurs entering the draft lottery and getting an opportunity to draft Duncan. By the spring, the Spurs were so far out it, that the draft lottery was definitely in their immediate future. In fact, they had one of the top two worst records in basketball (Boston having the worst record). I thought to myself, "could lightening strike twice?"

I recall a specific, nationally televised home game versus the Rockets in April of '97. The NBC sidelline reporter interviewed Big Dave. He updated his personal injury situation, discussed the unfortunate affect the slew of injuries had throughout the team, and then talked about how disappointed they all were with the current season. He was then asked about whether he'd heard of Tim Duncan and what he thought about him. Dave, in his usual congenial manner, was very, very complimentary of Duncan, marveled at his abilities, and went on to state that what a thrill it would be for him if somehow the Spurs were able to draft Duncan.

The rest, as they say, is history. Who would've ever thought?

ClingingMars
03-01-2008, 06:38 PM
UVA wins the ACC in '95 if Burrough, Alexander, Deane, and Staples don't get swept by Childress (who was an absolute beast that year) & Duncan.

Staples...oh what could have been.

-Mars

Galileo
03-01-2008, 06:52 PM
I've got a couple of recollections of Duncan.

I first got wind of Tim during his junior season at Wake Forest. I didn't watch much college basketball. However because the Wake Forest team was so very good, their highlights dominated the ESPN Sportscenter. That's when I first saw the poise, the footwork, the defensive prowess. I began to understand why everyone was touting Duncan as the best player in college basketball.

Being the Spurs fan that I am, I dreamed about what it'd be like to have this guy on the Spurs. Of course, it was just a mere fantasy, as the Spurs were perennial playoff participants. I later remember hearing all the scuttle-butt about whether Tim would leave school early to enter the NBA draft. Of course, Tim stayed for his senior season. I didn't know, at the time, what a fortunate decision that would be for the Spurs franchise.

Fast forward to the 96-97 NBA season (Tim' senior season as Wake) and all the injuries that ravaged the Spurs roster - including D-Rob and Elliott. As the losses mounted for the Spurs, I started to think more and more about the possibility of the Spurs entering the draft lottery and getting an opportunity to draft Duncan. By the spring, the Spurs were so far out it, that the draft lottery was definitely in their immediate future. In fact, they had one of the top two worst records in basketball (Boston having the worst record). I thought to myself, "could lightening strike twice?"

I recall a specific, nationally televised home game versus the Rockets in April of '96. The NBC sidelline reporter interviewed Big Dave. He updated his personal injury situation, discussed the unfortunate affect the slew of injuries had throughout the team, and then talked about how disappointed they all were with the current season. He was then asked about whether he'd heard of Tim Duncan and what he thought about him. Dave, in his usual congenial manner, was very, very complimentary of Duncan, marveled at his abilities, and went on to state that what a thrill it would be for him if somehow the Spurs were able to draft Duncan.

Who would've ever thought?

Very touching story, I saw that game as well. I think it was April '97, though.

But I was a Rockets fan, then.

m33p0
03-01-2008, 06:56 PM
first heard of timmy in an ncaa game against marcus camby. i also remember the comments made by the announcers that though camby's team won the game, duncan will go down as one of the best ever. yup, even back then some people already had the foresight of how timmy's career would wind up.

i saw his first nba game - spurs against the nuggets and remember telling myself "hey, that chris wilcox dude is a beast!" :lol

its weird too coz though duncan's game was pretty much as it is now, his teammates now are better at taking advantage of duncan's full skill set.

SenorSpur
03-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Very touching story, I saw that game as well. I think it was April '97, though.

But I was a Rockets fan, then.

My bad. Thanks.

BTW, why did you convert over?

DAINTX
03-01-2008, 07:09 PM
After Timmy was drafted, but before his 1st regular season game, my daughter and I were in the IHOP at 1604 & 281 one evening. Tim came in, alone, sat in a corner booth. Now my daughter was 6 years old and a huge Spurs fan. She already knew who Tim Duncan was. So nervous she was shaking, she went up to him and, in a tiny little voice, asked if he would autograph a little kid's game sheet IHOP had given her. Tim started asking her all kinds of questions...how old she was, what school she went to, who her favorite Spur was (David Robinson), etc. etc. He spent about 5-10 minutes with her. I went to get her...didn't want to interrupt his dinner any longer. Well, he asked, "If it's OK can she stay until we finish this game? We're just starting and I really don't mind at all." I said sure. She stayed probably 20 minutes at his table, talking and laughing, and came back with a long autograph with "Thanks..."To Victoria from your friend and new favorite Spur, Tim Duncan" from Timmy. She's 17 now, still has that autograph, is still a huge Spurs fan, and loves Timmy about as much as she used to love her pink teddy bear when she was a little girl.

DespЏrado
03-01-2008, 07:13 PM
I actually have a decent story about this. I was visiting my cousin at Stanford. He was showing me around and showing me what college life was like etc. And we went by one of the rooms with the door open and a Stanford vs. Wake forest game was on. We stopped in and I watched about the last ten minutes of the game, and even though Stanford came out the winner. I watched one guy part water against a better team.

I turned to my cousin and said this guy is going to be a Spur next year, I don't know how its going to happen, (David was just about to come back from his first injury.) but I just knew it was going to happen.

That's how I heard of Tim Duncan.

duncan228
03-01-2008, 07:23 PM
That's a sweet story DAINTX.
That's the thing about Duncan.
He's as incredible off the court as he is on it.
Thanks for sharing.

oboymeetsogirl
03-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Everyone has their memories, and since college hoops always bored me I didn't know of Duncan until his name was called first in the draft. Those days I was a longtime Laker fan (from the Wilt/West/Elgin days followed by Magic & Kareem), but I have to say: the Spurs became my true-blue, #1 team the first time I saw Timmy's patented moves -- ah, the "glass," the footwork, the impenetrable defense... -- that first year he began playing alongside the Admiral.

That said, I must add that I look back at the seasons following the '99 championship as often painful to watch, as teams took to triple-teaming Timmy and turning him into less of a Superman in many a game (his Kryptonite being the Spurs' predictability -- when in doubt, toss the ball into Duncan).

But of course, the past five years have been sheer joy. The maturation of Parker and coming of Manu has been for Timmy what Magic was for Kareem (before that, what Oscar was for Lew), and West and Baylor for Chamberlin.

We Spurs fans are living in historical times. No team has been as dominant since the Jordan-Bulls and the Magic-Lakers. Personally, I think of Shaq as being the most dominant big man of all time, followed by Timmy and then, of course, Russell and Chamberlin. Stick Oscar Robinson, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird somewhere in between those names (any order you like), and you have the eight greatest basketball players of all time. We are walking with the gods.

duncan228
03-01-2008, 07:35 PM
With all the Wake Forest conversation going on...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/waketagteam.jpg

urunobili
03-01-2008, 07:47 PM
1999 NBA Finals

Galileo
03-01-2008, 07:48 PM
My bad. Thanks.

BTW, why did you convert over?

I became a big basketball fan in 1981, my freshman year of college, and a great year for college freshman, and starting following the players, including Akeem.

A few years later I got so sick of everybody hyping Jordan, that I had to find somebody better to root for, so I became a huge Akeem the Dream fan. When I saw Duncan in the '99 Final's he totally reminded me of Akeem and how he posted up (but Duncan had a better jump shot). So at during the next few years I got totally sick of the overhype of Shaq & Kobe, Shaq & Kobe, etc., so I became a big Duncan & Spurs superfan.

I always did like the Spurs, though. I remember rooting for them in the '82 and '83 playoffs when they had the A-Train, going against the Lakers. Then, in 90-91, they had a superteam, and young, that should have been a dynasty. They had Robinson, PF Terry Cummings, SF Willie Anderson, PG Rod Strickland, and Sean Elliot.

When I saw them choke in the first round to the Super Sonics that year 3-1, I lost interest.

Beast Juice
03-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I Think I was in 4th grade. I remembered being excited for the season cuz the Spurs got Dominique, Maxwell, and Dana Barros....? Well I was expecting the Spurs to be beastly and being from So Cal I did not get to watch a lot of Spurs games but remember my grandpa teasing me that the Clippers beat them and Robinson got or was hurt. I remember my grandpa saying the Spurs get the first pick and could possibly get Tim Duncan and I was like Tim Who?????? Give me Ron Mercer and the Spurs will be unstoppable.

Galileo
03-01-2008, 07:52 PM
first heard of timmy in an ncaa game against marcus camby. i also remember the comments made by the announcers that though camby's team won the game, duncan will go down as one of the best ever. yup, even back then some people already had the foresight of how timmy's career would wind up.

i saw his first nba game - spurs against the nuggets and remember telling myself "hey, that chris wilcox dude is a beast!" :lol

its weird too coz though duncan's game was pretty much as it is now, his teammates now are better at taking advantage of duncan's full skill set.

I remember this game as well, versus Camby, but was listening on the radio. Does anyone know when this game was played?

That's cool they said he would go down as one of the best ever.

Galileo
03-01-2008, 08:04 PM
After Timmy was drafted, but before his 1st regular season game, my daughter and I were in the IHOP at 1604 & 281 one evening. Tim came in, alone, sat in a corner booth. Now my daughter was 6 years old and a huge Spurs fan. She already knew who Tim Duncan was. So nervous she was shaking, she went up to him and, in a tiny little voice, asked if he would autograph a little kid's game sheet IHOP had given her. Tim started asking her all kinds of questions...how old she was, what school she went to, who her favorite Spur was (David Robinson), etc. etc. He spent about 5-10 minutes with her. I went to get her...didn't want to interrupt his dinner any longer. Well, he asked, "If it's OK can she stay until we finish this game? We're just starting and I really don't mind at all." I said sure. She stayed probably 20 minutes at his table, talking and laughing, and came back with a long autograph with "Thanks..."To Victoria from your friend and new favorite Spur, Tim Duncan" from Timmy. She's 17 now, still has that autograph, is still a huge Spurs fan, and loves Timmy about as much as she used to love her pink teddy bear when she was a little girl.

Wow! I truly wonderful story! It makes your heart warm to know that people like Tim Duncan are here on this planet with us. Yours is a truly memorable story.

K-State Spur
03-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Staples...oh what could have been.

-Mars

he did leave as the ncaa's all-time 3 point shooter.

it was more jeff jones' complete inability to get any talent around him (and deane) that wasted their final couple of years.

GSH
03-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I was in St. Croix in the summer of 1990, and saw this tall kid at the swimming pool. When he got out of the water, I saw that he was really, really tall. So I told him, "Hey, you should be playing basketball instead of swimming." And he said, "You think so?" The rest is history.

Okay, seriously. Some good stories on this thread. I really enjoyed reading, so I'm glad you thought to start it.