PDA

View Full Version : Why are we starting ginobili now?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Quick question, no bull shit, I honestly cannot figure it out.

duncan228
03-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Because it's working?

itzsoweezee
if it ain't broke, don't fix it

ShoogarBear
I dunno, I just hope they stop playing him 35 a game, though.

loveforthegame
03-01-2008, 08:45 PM
It's working with Finley scoring off the bench. He doesn't always bring the same spark and same style of scoring but if he continues to score between 10-15 points a game we can keep Ginobli starting.

It's his minutes we need to keep a watch on though. I don't think that happens till Barry returns or Udoka is having a stellar game.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I dunno, I just hope they stop playing him 35 a game, though.

This was the result i kept arriving at that rendered every explanation of why ginobili would start illogical.

ShoogarBear
03-01-2008, 08:55 PM
The problem has always been that it's almost impossible to do all of the following:
1. Have 2 of the big 3 in there at almost all times.
2. Keep Ginobili to 28-32 minutes per game.
3. Start Manu.

Pop can't do all three, the math doesn't work. Right now he seems to be ignoring #2.

E20
03-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Doug Collins said he asked Pop the same question and his response was that since he is playing so well and we are winning he's not gonna make any changes until he feels that Manu needs to come off the bench again.

Plus I've noticed that Manu plays the whole 1Q where as he would only 8 minutes of the 1Q if he were coming off teh bench, then gets subbed out, then his rotation is pretty much like if he were on the bench.

ducks
03-01-2008, 09:00 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88310&highlight=ducks

Cant_Be_Faded
03-01-2008, 09:06 PM
ducks think no manu start tim play good for ducks, loler

/ducks

oboymeetsogirl
03-01-2008, 11:50 PM
We can all see that Parker is not quite in rhythm yet, and until such time Pop is not going to let the Lakers get an upper hand psychologically while they are on their current run. He's got to put a starting five on the floor that gives us the best chance of winning (re the dismal shooting first quarters of recent games), and that means Ginobli rather than Fin.

If everyone remains healthy and Parker is clicking on on all cylinders by the time the playoffs come around, it should be no surprise to see Ginobli resuming his 6th man role to give the bench some punch while Duncan and Parker are taking breathers, and to get Fin in better rhythm (always seems to me Fin needs at least a quarter to warm up). Plus, Ginobli seems to have the most impact when he's playing against the other teams' subs -- he just eats less experienced players alive, offensively and defensively.

That strategy worked like a charm last year and in the first half of this season, and like itzoweezee says, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Road Warrior
03-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Because it's working?
And there you go.

Kori Ellis
03-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Well, he didn't start the second half. And that strategy paid off :lol

GSH
03-02-2008, 12:04 AM
It seems that LeBron James, who missed four potential game-deciding shots at the end of regulation in that game, is now 0 for 9 this season on 3-pointers taken in the last two minutes of regulation and overtime when his Cavaliers stand within three points.

I bet Avery Johnson would have LeBron on the bench at the end of a close game, so he could put his best players on the floor. And Cuban would be okay with it.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-02-2008, 12:11 AM
They're 12 and 2 now...Manu's minutes were under 35 finally :clap

I wouldn't be surprised if Pop stands pat, for another week or so.

slayermin
03-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Well, he didn't start the second half. And that strategy paid off :lol

It worked great. I wonder if Pop tries that a little more. Start Manu and then bring him off the bench in the 2nd half.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Once Parker gets his legs and his shot back, Manu will go back to the bench.

DespЏrado
03-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Yeah I noticed pop went to the Manu 6th man lineup in the second half. And it worked well, to get both Manu and Tony involved in the game.

It works to the Spurs advantage to have this two look team. There is the Manu team and there is the Tim/Tony team which both work very well, separately. But Tony and Manu both need the ball to be effective, and when they are in the lineup together one or the other is too often not being used to their full advantage.

I agree with the OP we need Manu to come off the bench in order to take full advantage of both Manu and Tony.

K-State Spur
03-02-2008, 01:11 AM
remember that part of the reason that manu was moved to the bench was because we were getting nothing out of our bench (finley was struggling off the pine). but with finley having now adjusted to his bench role and playing well, it's no longer such a necessity to add a bench spark.