PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili remains a starter until notice

TMTTRIO
03-02-2008, 01:32 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030208.09C.BKNspurs.notebook.3e25d0d.html

Spurs notebook: Ginobili remains a starter until notice

Web Posted: 03/02/2008 12:23 AM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News

MILWAUKEE — If Manu Ginobili is disappointed his Sixth Man of the Year candidacy is going up in smoke, he's doing a good job of hiding it.
"I don't care about that little trophy," he said after Saturday's 96-94 victory at Milwaukee. "All I care about is a championship ring."

After coming off the bench in 36 of his first 38 outings this season, Ginobili has started 14 consecutive games, including Saturday night's tilt at Milwaukee.

Though the move has been an unqualified success — Ginobili is averaging better than 24 points per game as a starter — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich isn't quite ready to anoint him a starter for the rest of the season. He will, however, anoint Ginobili a starter for now.

"At this point, it's not a point of contention for anybody," Popovich said. "We'll probably just roll with the way we're going for now."

Popovich has always been intrigued with the scoring punch Ginobili can provide off the bench. For that reason, Popovich wouldn't rule out returning Ginobili to a sixth-man role at some point before the end of the season

"If circumstances are such that we think we'll have a better advantage bringing him off the bench, we'll do it," he said.

Parker shines: Tony Parker had his best game since coming off the injured list, scoring 26 points, dishing out five assists, and generally making a living in the Bucks' lane.

"He was real confident with his shot, which is what we've been looking for," Popovich said. "He attacked aggressively. He looked more like Tony."

Mavs turn in Bowen: The Spurs awoke Saturday morning to news that the Dallas Mavericks had asked the NBA to review film they say shows Bruce Bowen elbowing Mavs guard Jason Terry during a game Thursday night.

Dallas owner Mark Cuban told reporters in Dallas that he had sent tape to the league offices. Since the Spurs hadn't heard from the league by game time Saturday, it was assumed nothing would come of the Mavs' complaint.

Eastern dominance: The Spurs improved to 17-4 against the Eastern Conference, including a 9-1 mark on the road.

timvp
03-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Mavs turn in Bowen: The Spurs awoke Saturday morning to news that the Dallas Mavericks had asked the NBA to review film they say shows Bruce Bowen elbowing Mavs guard Jason Terry during a game Thursday night.

Dallas owner Mark Cuban told reporters in Dallas that he had sent tape to the league offices. Since the Spurs hadn't heard from the league by game time Saturday, it was assumed nothing would come of the Mavs' complaint.ROFL.

mikekim
03-02-2008, 01:42 AM
I rarely dislike an entire organization...but the Mavs have earned that distinction from me.

They do manage to give me so many laughs despite that fact though.

Kori Ellis
03-02-2008, 01:47 AM
:lmao I knew they were going to send the tape to the league. Lame.

genomefreak13
03-02-2008, 01:48 AM
The NBA isn't gonna act against bowen because of an elbow. I've seen him kick Sczerbiak in the face, Cause A. Parker an injury, Tripped Allen, James and Nowitzki. An elbow to low-life terry makes no big difference. Cuban is a sore loser and a cry-baby!

Radiosparks
03-02-2008, 01:49 AM
Cuban at it again.

DespЏrado
03-02-2008, 02:00 AM
Mavs are officially the worst decent franchise in the NBA. They've out done themselves in terms of shear lunacy, idiocy, and bitchiness. FUCK the mavs!

And of course this means Manu is going back to the bench starting the next game if we are to translate CIA Pop's language. :lol

greens
03-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Huh? The Terry/Bowen "incident" will be reviewed? I'm just disliking Mavs more and more each day...I didn't think it was possible to dislike them even more than I already do, especially Terry.

I still don't get why the Spurs/Pop didn't send the tape of the Spurs win over the Mavs back in December when Manu got 37 pts...too many cheap shots there by Jason Terry. At one point, Terry basically grabbed Manu's arm while he was in mid air AFTER the foul was already called.

And this guy is going to ask the league to review Bruce Bowen???

I didn't see anything between Bruce/Terry during the game...

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-02-2008, 02:02 AM

Dallas owner Mark Cuban told reporters in Dallas that he had sent tape to the league offices.

This is why they get owned by GS, let one man (Wade) beat them in the Finals. They're spineless.

One day when I'm rich I'm going to have the AAC torn down and a statue of a giant vagina put in its place with the names of the Mavs players, AJ, and Cuban on it.

greens
03-02-2008, 02:03 AM
The Mavs also complained about the officiating...when Dirk got more FTs than basically the whole Spurs team combined...

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-02-2008, 02:07 AM
Mavs turn in Bowen: The Spurs awoke Saturday morning to news that the Dallas Mavericks had asked the NBA to review film they say shows they have incredibly small penises (and in some cases, not one at all).

Dallas owner Mark Cuban told reporters in Dallas that he liked watching Dirk in the showers. Since the Spurs hadn't heard from the league by game time Saturday, it was assumed that league officials were laughing their asses off at the Mavericks franchise as usual.

fify.

carina_gino20
03-02-2008, 03:15 AM
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5755/acf8959qn4.jpg

san antonio spurs
03-02-2008, 04:51 AM
people saying they hate so much the mavs, have we forgotten the lakers.
Their players calling out the spurs, their coach doing the same. Never giving the spurs any credit... and how about them jazz (malone and stockton).
The mavs are just sore losers, you pity them, the lakers however were arrogants *&!?%, you can dislike them. (You'll tell me their players have been replaced but PJ is still there :lol )

WalterBenitez
03-02-2008, 05:42 AM
They also complained about air conditioner, apparently that affected Terry's humor and produced some fog in mid-court at very end of the game that caused that Dirk crashed. :reading

smahmood26
03-02-2008, 05:45 AM
"I don't care about that little trophy," he said after Saturday's 96-94 victory at Milwaukee. "All I care about is a championship ring."

Fantastic

smeagol
03-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Lakers, Mavs and Suns . . .

I pretty much dislike them all equally . . .

TampaDude
03-02-2008, 08:59 AM
[url]

Dallas owner Mark Cuban told reporters in Dallas that he had sent tape to the league offices. Since the Spurs hadn't heard from the league by game time Saturday, it was assumed nothing would come of the Mavs' complaint.

:lol

Whatever...fuck the Mavs...they just cemented themselves as the team I hate the most in the WC...I'd root for the Lakers or Suns against the Mavs...fuck you, Mark Cuban...you no title having cocksucker...

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q68/jahcentral77/MavsAlmostChampsDVD.jpg

:lmao

SAGambler
03-02-2008, 09:21 AM
I rarely dislike an entire organization...but the Mavs have earned that distinction from me.

They do manage to give me so many laughs despite that fact though.

Mark Cuban is a genuine Whiny Fucking Idiot. What would be funny, is if they saw on that same tape JET throwing an elbow at Manu and suspended him instead.

mavsfan1000
03-02-2008, 09:30 AM
How dare anyone criticize Bowen for being dirty. It is completely normal to throw elbows.

SAGambler
03-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Damn...who do I root for now this afternoon? I so wanted the Mavs to knock of the fucking Lakeshow, but now maybe I would just as soon the Lakers blow them out. As bad as I hate Lakerland, I'm beginning to hate the Dallasland team even more.

Why can't Cuban just accept that the Spurs are going to beat him most of the time, and just live with it.

SAGambler
03-02-2008, 09:35 AM
How dare anyone criticize Bowen for being dirty. It is completely normal to throw elbows.

Just as it's normal to throw a fist at someones nuts. Or to throw elbows at someone head. Terry gives as good as he gets. If there is a motherfucker in the league that has no right to bitch when someone takes a shot at him, it's Jason Whiny Bitch Terry.

mavsfan1000
03-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Just as it's normal to throw a fist at someones nuts. Or to throw elbows at someone head. Terry gives as good as he gets. If there is a motherfucker in the league that has no right to bitch when someone takes a shot at him, it's Jason Whiny Bitch Terry.
I'll keep that in mind the next time someone throws a cheap shot at Bowen. He has no right to defend himself. lol

Rummpd
03-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Terry overrated puss.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Terry overrated puss.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x309/Guajalote/jterry.jpg

Terry: You take that back!

RobinsontoDuncan
03-02-2008, 10:37 AM
everyone with tivo will tell you there was no elbow thrown, jason terry is just a little bitch

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Tampa Dude... that "Almost Champs" dvd is the greatest thing I've seen all week!! Thanks for that. LOL

Ghost Writer
03-02-2008, 11:24 AM
1. "until further notice" means until Parker is playing at a high level again.

2. Bowen is dirty, but Cuban's boys would be better suited to stop b1tching and fight fire with fire.

SpursFanFirst
03-02-2008, 11:39 AM

:lol Look at Bruce just standing there looking at Terry - Not the least bit scared of him.

Ghost Writer
03-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Bowen sucks on offense, but I will never say that he is not a smart defender. His ability to antagonize and control his emotions (duping the other player into a temper tantrum) rivals former Spur Dennis Rodman.

P.S.

We need Barry back and Manu off the bench, because I don't trust Stoudamire or Vaughn with big PG minutes in the playoffs. Manu or Barry need to bring the ball up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I'll keep that in mind the next time someone throws a cheap shot at Bowen. He has no right to defend himself. lol

Defend himself? All Terry does is throw cheap shots and then run and hide behind the skirts of refs and his teammates.

He's not defending himself, he's a pussy.

T Park
03-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm still waiting on the evidence of Bowen's elbow.

Until then, Mavs fan should STFU and quit making up bullshit.

spursrule32
03-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm still waiting on the evidence of Bowen's elbow.

Until then, Mavs fan should STFU and quit making up bullshit.

isn't gonna happen - just like it isn't gonna happen on evidence that Bruce intentionally slides his foot under an opponents foot. It's just easier to say a player is dirty and cheats than to admit your team got beat. Hopefully those teams believe the same way as their fans and focus more on how they were cheated than on how they got beat.

T Park
03-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Yup.

Thats exactly right.

xamila rey
03-02-2008, 01:15 PM
manu will remain as a starter until we lose one or two games....

CaptainLate
03-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Lakers, Mavs and Suns . . .

Speaking of the Suns:

[ (Shaq) said the problems are on defense. "We have to have some urgency and stop some people," he said. "I'm fitting in. I'm swinging the ball to the top and I'm only taking four or five shots a game. I'm just rebounding and trying to fit in. But right now we just have to stop people." ]

Hey, Shaq, didn't you know the Suns don't play no DEEfense. :nope

CaptainLate
03-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Damn...who do I root for now this afternoon?...maybe I would just as soon the Lakers blow them out. As bad as I hate Lakerland, I'm beginning to hate the Dallasland team even more.

Well, it is a pickle. :bang

But considering we're three up on the Mavs in the loss column, :elephant I'd say root for the Mavs.

ClingingMars
03-02-2008, 02:35 PM
youtube the elbow or it didn't happen

-Mars

Herschel Walker
03-02-2008, 02:45 PM
I fail to see how sending tape to the NBA and whining like a bitch to the league and media is "defending yourself". Manu takes cheap shots all the time but never says a word. Terry just isn't even close to being that tough.

Cherry
03-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Dallas owner Mark Cuban told reporters in Dallas that he had sent tape to the league offices.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4706/retard22me1.jpg

SenorSpur
03-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Bowen sucks on offense, but I will never say that he is not a smart defender. His ability to antagonize and control his emotions (duping the other player into a temper tantrum) rivals former Spur Dennis Rodman.

Let's not forget that Bowen has baited some of the better scorer's in this league: Vince Carter, Peja - even Finley back in his Mavs days.

Terry is just a punk-ass knucklehead, who tries to pass himself off as a bad-ass. Only thing is no one in the league is buying his act.

Ice009
03-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Should have freaking guess this was a CIA Pop move and Manu would go back to the bench the next game ;).

Spurologist
03-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Should have freaking guess this was a CIA Pop move and Manu would go back to the bench the next game ;).

= 6th man of the year

TMTTRIO
03-02-2008, 09:39 PM
It sounds like it's going to be permament again. Manu has been amazing since in the starting lineup lately. I kind of expect his game to come back down now being on the bench. I still hope Manu doesn't get the 6MOY award because it's kind of a stupid award in the first place. I hope they give it to Barbosa again or anybody else :p:

WalterBenitez
03-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Manu would get that little trophy?

Holt's Cat
03-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Spurs need Manu's scoring coming off the bench now. It looks like Pop's going with the Argentine duo as his first subs.

itzsoweezee
03-02-2008, 10:30 PM
if manu's going to be coming off the bench, then duncan needs to step his scoring up.

Yuixafun
03-02-2008, 10:39 PM

lol...

tweedy bird is all :madrun

(and yea Bowen is standing all poised nonchalant)

DespЏrado
03-03-2008, 01:40 AM
Did someone say Manu would return to the bench in the next game in this thread? Oh yeah that was me.

Ghost Writer
03-03-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm not surprised at Ginobili as 6th man again, but giving K. Thomas the start so soon is a little surprising. Not that I don't agree with the move, but Pop usually makes his guys earn it.

oboymeetsogirl
03-03-2008, 11:12 AM
I've always been totally for Manu coming off the bench. One of the worst times for any basketball fan is when the starters go out for their rest and you have to watch the subs flail and fail to score. Manu changes the whole equation. As far as I can see, he plays the same amount of minutes as if he were starting, and he's still there in the last few minutes of the game when it really counts. What's the dif? It makes the team better.

That's the difference between the Spurs and the rest of the league. They're in it for the w's, not for individual stats or the distinction of being a "starter." Good enough for Pop, good enough for the Spurs players, good enough for rings on a fifth finger, and so damned well good enough for me!

Finally: I didn't expect it either, but I loved the move to get Thomas into the starting lineup. The more time he spends in the thick of things -- playing alongside Timmy, Tony, Bruce and either Manu or Fin -- the better off we'll be by the time the playoffs come around. Heck, it's only a few weeks away, and time's a'wasting. Plus, bringing Oberto off the bench with Manu so the two Argentines can rock 'n roll to their hearts' content makes all the sense in the world.

The Spurs have always been about cohesive team play, and so kudos to Pop for making the move right now while there's opportunity to turn regular season games into meaningful practices, yet still come away with the wins.

genomefreak13
03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Spurs notebook: Lineup changes after all: Ginobili returns to bench

Web Posted: 03/03/2008 12:18 AM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Not long before tipoff Sunday night at New Jersey, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich approached Manu Ginobili.

Popovich had that look in his eye. Ginobili knew what it meant.

After starting 14 consecutive games, he was headed back to the bench.

"When he comes with that look, I know what he's going to say," said Ginobili, who had 17 points in the Spurs' 93-83 victory. "He said it was the best for the team, and I want what's best for the team, too."

A day after telling reporters in Milwaukee that he did not anticipate making a lineup change in the immediate future, Popovich made two of them Sunday.

His two Argentines, Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto, headed to the bench. In their place, Popovich started Michael Finley and newly acquired forward Kurt Thomas, who technically started at center.

Ginobili, who emerged as a leading candidate for the sixth man of the year award after coming off the bench for 36 of his first 38 games this year, said he wasn't surprised by the move to the bench.

"At this point in my career, nothing surprises me," he said.

Popovich informed Thomas of the decision not long before tipoff, too. Like Ginobili, Thomas was unfazed by the move.

"I've been around long enough to know you've got to be ready to go at a moment's notice," said Thomas, who logged 17 minutes, 29 seconds for the most playing time of his fledgling Spurs career.

The lineup shift came partly as a pre-emptive strike against any bench fatigue that might set in on the second night of a back-to-back, especially with a relatively early 6 p.m. EST tipoff on Sunday.

It also served to carve time for Ginobili and Oberto, who team up well on pick-and-rolls, to play together off the bench.

FURTHER NOTICE SERVED...

smeagol
03-03-2008, 01:19 PM
We will send hit men from Argentina.

Pop is a dead man, I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

genomefreak13
03-03-2008, 01:26 PM
We will send hit men from Argentina.

Pop is a dead man, I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol :toast

ancestron
03-03-2008, 03:55 PM
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4706/retard22me1.jpg

:lol

TMTTRIO
03-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Manu's starting again tonight :lol

loveforthegame
03-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Manu's starting again tonight :lol

That's good. He's proven he can play as a starter or coming off the bench. However, it messes with Fin's game when he's shuttled back and forth. Hopefully, Pop makes a decision and sticks with it.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah, and Pop is going to fuck up the opposing coaches gameplans as well