PDA

View Full Version : anyone in the airforce??

macdude06
03-02-2008, 05:08 PM
im thinking about joining but just want to here experiences...fun jobs?
anything helps

florige
03-02-2008, 08:56 PM
If it were not for my vision being terrible the Air Force would had been my first choice.

marini martini
03-02-2008, 11:41 PM
If it were not for my vision being terrible the Air Force would had been my first choice.

So the Air Force wouldn't take you, but the Police Force would :cop :lmao :cop

E20
03-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Watch for Top Gun (see my sig)

florige
03-02-2008, 11:53 PM
So the Air Force wouldn't take you, but the Police Force would :cop :lmao :cop

I never tried for the Air Force. Your vision has to damn near be 20/20 uncorrected to get anywhere near one of those jets. Police are allowed to wear contacts or glasses.

marini martini
03-03-2008, 12:06 AM
:reading
I never tried for the Air Force. Your vision has to damn near be 20/20 uncorrected to get anywhere near one of those jets. Police are allowed to wear contacts or glasses.

OHHHHHHHHH, I see :lol

And E20, your sig is funny :toast I was going to add "but long", but thought better of it, as we all know what that would lead up to. (that's what she said) :lol :lol :lol

03-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Why would anyone want to dress like a mailman on purpose?

drunkendan
03-03-2008, 09:09 AM
My wife is in the air force. I was in the navy and if I could do it again I would have joined the air force. The "fun" all depends on what job you want to do and you have to realize there's a chance you can get deployed overseas.

Soul_Patch
03-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Im a contractor working for the airforce :)

If i wouldnt have had such a bad attitude 10 years ago, i would have joined.

AFBlue
03-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Mac,

How old are you?

Planning on going officer or enlisted?

College or no?

Do you want to deploy or would you like to stay stateside?

As far as my experience....

Spent time on the officer side in program management and maintenance. One was day-to-day ops and the other was big-picture management (i.e. F-15 needs new radar, so I'd work with vendors to build, test, and ultimately procure).

My Air Force experience was a good one. Like any job it's got its ups and downs, but I found it to be very fulfilling in the end.

Also, it didn't hurt that they paid for my Bachelor and Masters degrees. :lol

drunkendan
03-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Mac,

Also, it didn't hurt that they paid for my Bachelor and Masters degrees. :lol

Another good thing about the military. The GI Bill is paying for all my college expenses. I've also noticed that Air Force pushes you to go college while your in more than any service.

AFBlue
03-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Another good thing about the military. The GI Bill is paying for all my college expenses. I've also noticed that Air Force pushes you to go college while your in more than any service.

I think you're right on that....

For officer promotions they unmask whether or not you have a degree and I also heard they were moving to unmask where you got your grade degree from.

That woulda shot me in the foot...Touro University (online). :lol

Also, I befriended a number of NCOs with their bachelors and masters degrees, some of which crossed over and others of which stayed put.

Definitely agree though, education (military and otherwise) is a BIG push in the Air Force. At times it felt like it was all I was doing... :lol

macdude06
03-03-2008, 10:32 AM
im 19..20 in june...

i prolly would have to go enlisted right?? im going to utsa right now and have about 30 credits...and i wanna go in as an air traffic controller...and i wanna travel...just want out of texas for awhile..i dont care where i go..i wouldnt mind going to japan or soething like that

AFBlue
03-03-2008, 11:14 AM
im 19..20 in june...

i prolly would have to go enlisted right?? im going to utsa right now and have about 30 credits...and i wanna go in as an air traffic controller...and i wanna travel...just want out of texas for awhile..i dont care where i go..i wouldnt mind going to japan or soething like that

Yeah, enlisted....you have to complete your degree and ROTC (or Officer Training School) before you can become an officer.

Good thing about ATC is that you have a position at every base, so your can request assignment anywhere. Of course, you have to go through 6 weeks of Basic at Lackland AFB and then I'm not sure how long for your tech school or where it would be held.

What I can say is that if you got maintenance, you'd go through another 4 months after Basic at Shepperd AFB, in Witchita Falls Texas.

So if you're looking to leave the state, it might not happen for a while... :lol .

Seriously though, it's not a bad gig. It should help you finish your degree if you stick to it and pay for it along the way. It's definitely MORE than a job (speaking from both sides of the fence), because there's an entire culture associated with it....but it's a good one in my experience.

Oh, and if you're willing to hold off for a couple years, I'd suggest looking into the ROTC program at UTSA for scholarship opportunities. They could pay for your school, and you'd owe back 4 years with a starting base pay of $30K, which may not seem like much, but it goes a long way when you include housing/food allowance and free med care.

Those are my two cents, but let me know if you have any more questions.

macdude06
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah, enlisted....you have to complete your degree and ROTC (or Officer Training School) before you can become an officer.

Good thing about ATC is that you have a position at every base, so your can request assignment anywhere. Of course, you have to go through 6 weeks of Basic at Lackland AFB and then I'm not sure how long for your tech school or where it would be held.

What I can say is that if you got maintenance, you'd go through another 4 months after Basic at Shepperd AFB, in Witchita Falls Texas.

So if you're looking to leave the state, it might not happen for a while... :lol .

Seriously though, it's not a bad gig. It should help you finish your degree if you stick to it and pay for it along the way. It's definitely MORE than a job (speaking from both sides of the fence), because there's an entire culture associated with it....but it's a good one in my experience.

Oh, and if you're willing to hold off for a couple years, I'd suggest looking into the ROTC program at UTSA for scholarship opportunities. They could pay for your school, and you'd owe back 4 years with a starting base pay of $30K, which may not seem like much, but it goes a long way when you include housing/food allowance and free med care.

Those are my two cents, but let me know if you have any more questions.

thanks man

i heard atc school is in mississippi or missouri.. but i also heard it has the highest washout rate...and when i get out it pays well haha...

but bootcamp doesnt effect me...im getting paid for you to yell at me..cool ill do what you want..ive already been in a bootcamp before so i have an idea...