PDA

View Full Version : Suns think something smells in San Antonio

sa_butta
03-03-2008, 09:28 AM
General Manager Steve Kerr amped up the Phoenix Suns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/pho/)' feud with the San Antonio Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/sas/) a bit last week when Brent Barry (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3017/) (you would have thought he was an MVP candidate the way teams were chasing him when he was bought out by Seattle) said he'd re-sign with the Spurs.

Kerr suggested on a Phoenix radio station it seemed to smell of an illegal, prearranged deal with Seattle GM Sam Presti, a former Spurs executive. "I think maybe there was something behind the scenes there," Kerr told KTAR-AM 620. "If I'm Seattle, I'm not going to let Barry go, I'm going to let Donyell Marshall (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/2627/) go. Brent's a guy who is much more productive. Donyell Marshall doesn't have much more left in the tank. Sam Presti used to be in San Antonio as an assistant. Who knows? I don't have any proof."

Last season, while a broadcaster and a Suns minority owner, Kerr questioned Amare Stoudemire (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3607/)'s suspension while Tim Duncan (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3173/) was not penalized for leaving the bench earlier in the game. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was furious at Kerr, a former Spur, and told him privately that Kerr had too many hats on — broadcasting and ownership.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Suns-think-something-smells-in-San-Antonio?urn=nba,69610

SenorSpur
03-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Kerr and the rest of Suns management should be less preoccupied about the Spurs roster moves and more concerned with their "sinking ship" of a franchise.

WalterBenitez
03-03-2008, 09:33 AM
SUns sucks!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Steve Kerr is kinda dumb. As a broadcaster he was pretty annoying, his comments weren't all that bright at times even then.

Russ
03-03-2008, 09:35 AM
It's the smell of . . . victory.

samikeyp
03-03-2008, 09:35 AM
That smell is from their record since they got Shaq.

SpurAddict561
03-03-2008, 09:36 AM
boo hoo

We gave the loser a ring, what more does he want from us?

samikeyp
03-03-2008, 09:37 AM
actually SA gave him 2 rings, he should be thanking Pop regularly. :)

Taco
03-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Spurs and Barry did and said all the right things

lonestr
03-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Before Kerr makes any claim about our moves, he should look at the Laker's trade for Gasol. Ever since they acquired Shaq, Kerr's clock has been ticking. We'll see if he or D'Antoni will survive the off season after this year.

SAGambler
03-03-2008, 09:39 AM
That smell is from their record since they got Shaq.

Rather since Kerr brought in an overpriced near has been Shaq. Is Steve trying to take heat off himself? I wonder if he has sent out his resume yet? My suspicions are he will be looking for a new job next year.

genomefreak13
03-03-2008, 09:41 AM
He's just pissed off because he got shaq for marion plus he wasn't able to take advantage of the loop hole in the rules. :lol

SpurAddict561
03-03-2008, 09:41 AM
yea, Kwame Brown for Gasol has got to be the most shady deal I've seen in a while..lol

lefty
03-03-2008, 09:42 AM
General Manager Steve Kerr amped up the Phoenix Suns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/pho/)' feud with the San Antonio Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/sas/) a bit last week when Brent Barry (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3017/) (you would have thought he was an MVP candidate the way teams were chasing him when he was bought out by Seattle) said he'd re-sign with the Spurs.

Kerr suggested on a Phoenix radio station it seemed to smell of an illegal, prearranged deal with Seattle GM Sam Presti, a former Spurs executive. "I think maybe there was something behind the scenes there," Kerr told KTAR-AM 620. "If I'm Seattle, I'm not going to let Barry go, I'm going to let Donyell Marshall (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/2627/) go. Brent's a guy who is much more productive. Donyell Marshall doesn't have much more left in the tank. Sam Presti used to be in San Antonio as an assistant. Who knows? I don't have any proof."

Last season, while a broadcaster and a Suns minority owner, Kerr questioned Amare Stoudemire (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3607/)'s suspension while Tim Duncan (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3173/) was not penalized for leaving the bench earlier in the game. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was furious at Kerr, a former Spur, and told him privately that Kerr had too many hats on — broadcasting and ownership.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Suns-think-something-smells-in-San-Antonio?urn=nba,69610

Can somebody explain to him that there was no fight when Duncan left the bench ?

samikeyp
03-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Can somebody explain to him that there was no fight when Duncan left the bench ?

He knows that but he is looking for an excuse. Just like those (not all) Suns fans who try to use that to justify the stupidity of their players.

boutons_
03-03-2008, 10:02 AM
"no fight when Duncan left the bench"

fight or just jawing and posturing, does the rule make the distinction?

101A
03-03-2008, 10:07 AM
If I'm Presti, at this point in the season; lottery bound. Do I waive the player that is more likely to put a couple of "W's" on the board?

Probably - keeping the better player is what makes no sense in this case.

samikeyp
03-03-2008, 10:27 AM
"no fight when Duncan left the bench"

fight or just jawing and posturing, does the rule make the distinction?

The rule says that you cannot leave the bench during an altercation between two players. The problem is that the NBA does not say what, in their eyes, is an altercation. By definition, it can be anything from two people yelling at each other to an actual fight. When Elson was fouled and nothing was called, he yelled at the ref and Duncan yelled at the ref with a foot on the court but Elson never got in Amare's face so I am guessing that is why the NBA didn't punish Duncan.

coopdogg3
03-03-2008, 10:30 AM
but, but, but the Suns got Grant Hill - he was supposed to take them to the Promised Land (please ignore losing Kurt Thomas who was then gift-wrapped to San Antonio).

LOL. The Supersonics are loving this. The Suns may miss the play-offs, and look like they're about to implode. The Sonics might get a decent 1st round pick this year from the Suns, and the unprotected 2010 pick might be pretty darn good.

carina_gino20
03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
NBA Rule Book Section VII - Fines

c. During an altercation, all players not
participating in the game must remain in
the immediate vicinity of their bench.
Violators will be suspended, without pay,
for a minimum of one game and fined
up to $35,000

The rule book says 'altercation.'

Merriam-Webster says:

altercation: a noisy heated angry dispute; also : noisy controversy

Now if you look at this, I don't think anyone can say, without a doubt, that there was an altercation going on.

Y39nRO5keRM

naico
03-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Presti is a genius..He'll have massive picks and capspace tou build around Durant. He'll eb able to add another superstar + major talent.

word
03-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Who's Steve Kerr ?

TampaDude
03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
NBA Rule Book Section VII - Fines

c. During an altercation, all players not
participating in the game must remain in
the immediate vicinity of their bench.
Violators will be suspended, without pay,
for a minimum of one game and fined
up to $35,000

The rule book says 'altercation.'

Merriam-Webster says:

altercation: a noisy heated angry dispute; also : noisy controversy

Now if you look at this, I don't think anyone can say, without a doubt, that there was an altercation going on.

For all we know, Duncan was just going to check on his teammate and make sure he wasn't hurt...the contact was incidental and the players weren't even near each other when Duncan stepped onto the court...to equate it to the Horry incident is ludicrous.

Holt's Cat
03-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Misdirection. Nothing more.

Anyways, if the Suns wanted Barry that badly they could've claimed him off waivers.

Ghost Writer
03-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Fvck it.

it's called "gamesmanship."

I like the fact that the Spurs are not playing the victim this season.

the front office is making things happen without giving up much at all.

Agloco
03-03-2008, 11:25 AM
They think that something smells here, but we know something smells over there.......

Slohoop
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Kerr and the rest of Suns management should be less preoccupied about the Spurs roster moves and more concerned with their "sinking ship" of a franchise.
:clap

Rummpd
03-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Why don't you make a good trade Kerr?

oboymeetsogirl
03-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Kerr gambled with Shaq, and I'm sure the fear of not knowing whether he's made the right move (from my perspective on the couch, it's a bad one) only increased his frustration over not landing Barry. I like the guy. Great player, Johnny-on-the-spot shooter, smart TV man. But if I were in his shoes, I'd probably be grinding my teeth, too.

A job's a job. Spurs fans should be proud of the fact that ex-players are out there in key NBA positions. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. What Kerr obviously needs to learn is patience: San Antonio's success, while based upon one phenomenal player, didn't all come about overnight. In Duncan's early years I just don't think there was much supporting cast (apart from the Admiral) around him; but that was okay because the league wasn't quite as high powered as it is now. I think ten, twenty years ago you could build a championship team around just one (re Jordan) or two (re Magic and Kareem) superstars. Nowadays, it takes at least three. In a few more years, it might take four or even five.

Meanwhile, I wish Presti and Kerr nothing but the best. The more they succeed, the more obvious it is that the Spurs are the model organization, and it's sweeter to be the best when everyone knows it!

SenorSpur
03-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Kerr has a myriad of issues that he's going to have to deal with. Player decisions, style changes, impending free agency issues, draft, coaches evaluation, etc. With all that, he just needs to STFU!

coopdogg3
03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
He needs to read the CBA, apologize to Donyell Marshall, and move on.

dbreiden83080
03-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Well so much for Kerr crossing sides but not going to into full attack mode against the Spurs. He has officially gone to the Dark Side now.

smeagol
03-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Suns think something smells in San Antonio

Spurs locker room after the end of a game . . .

SenorSpur
03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
I hope Pop gives him another stern comment, the next time the two cross paths.

phxspurfan
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
"If I'm Seattle, I'm not going to let Barry go, I'm going to let Donyell Marshall go. Brent's a guy who is much more productive. Donyell Marshall doesn't have much more left in the tank. "

Kerr's comment about Marshall was really uncalled for. One would think an executive would exhibit a little more class than to belittle someone that has had nothing to do with his organization.

SenorSpur
03-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Kerr's comment about Marshall was really uncalled for. One would think an executive would exhibit a little more class than to belittle someone that has had nothing to do with his organization.

Very true.

Hey, we're all indebted to Kerr for his contributions when he was a player with the Spurs - especially his Game 6 heroics in the 2003 WCSF versus the Mavs. All that aside, STFU! :ihit

jag
03-03-2008, 01:26 PM
He smells the Championship Trophies....he misses that smell and realizes he wont ever smell it again.

timmy21_4rings
03-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Kerr is stupid to think that Sonics would waive Marshall. Marshall trade would not have happened had Sonics not waived a player because Sonics had one extra player. Stupid Kerr should know more about it

YoMamaIsCallin
03-03-2008, 01:32 PM

On the other hand, I can say without a doubt that there was NOT an altercation going on.

There wasn't anything close to a "heated confrontation" between two players.

JMarkJohns
03-03-2008, 03:11 PM
boo hoo

We gave the loser a ring, what more does he want from us?

I'm not going to defend Kerr on these comments. Sure, on the srface it looks a little iffy, but unlike the Stackhouse situation, no comments were made to give credence to such a line of thought. If I'm Barry and I'm released and my top three options are a Houston team that just lost Yao, a Phoenix team that's like 2-8 since acquiring Shaq and San Antonio, then I'll choose 30 days of rest and San Antonio.

However, the above comment and any like it are just hogwash. Not only did Kerr save your asses in 2002-03 in a hadful of crucial games, he's NOT a loser. He's made as many big shots for Title-winning teams as Horry has. Maybe not as memorable, but certainly as many. He has won five Titles, and while he was little more than a role player, he's one of the players ever to earn the respect and trust of Michael Jordan in crunch time.

he may be off on this topic, and he may be the GM of a sinking ship, though it's arguable that it was sinking before they brought him in as GM, but Kerr is one of the classiest winners in Sports. He wasn't a great player, but he was great at what he did. That shouldn't be belittled simply because he voiced some suspicions on a topic that I've seen stories posted in the forum all but confirming (The worst kept secret thread where Barry never fully cleaned out his Spurs locker).

I mean, what the hell is a matter with you people? You may have lost to the freakin' Nets in 02-03 without Kerr.

JMarkJohns
03-03-2008, 03:14 PM
That said, his comments on Marshall were unnecessary and do make him look bad. Right or wrong, he shouldn't have went there. You can voice your reaction to the Barry back to Spurs situation without bringing up other unaffiliated players.

ChumpDumper
03-03-2008, 03:16 PM
That said, his comments on Marshall were unnecessary and do make him look bad. Right or wrong, he shouldn't have went there. You can voice your reaction to the Barry back to Spurs situation without bringing up other unaffiliated players.He could have at least brought up a player that actually could have been waived at the time.

JMarkJohns
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
He shouldn't have brought another player into the discussion at all. That's what made him appear bad, not the other Barry comments.

coopdogg3
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
He could have at least brought up a player that actually could have been waived at the time.

Yeah, Kerr could have mentioned Elson. :lol

ChumpDumper
03-03-2008, 03:25 PM
He shouldn't have brought another player into the discussion at all. That's what made him appear bad, not the other Barry comments.Actually, mentioning Marshall made him appear stupid and inept since he could never have been waived in lieu of Barry.

I think maybe there was something behind the scenes there.That is the statement that makes him appear to be a bitch.

By saying nothing, Kerr could have avoided the creating his appearance as that of a stupid, inept bitch.

He chose to speak.

Indazone
03-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Kerr = dumbest GM in recent history with Suns

SpurOutofTownFan
03-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Spurs and Barry did and said all the right things

And that's the main reason why Kerr is so frustrated. He doesn't have any proof what he's suggesting is actually happening.

It's pretty cheap, to say "it seems" and then hide behind a rock.

JMarkJohns
03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with that second quote of yours. Connect the dots. It's hard not to think such. Again, I don't fault Barry for passing on the Suns or Rockets in favor of the Spurs. Not one bit. But I also don't fault Kerr for saying Barry from San Antonio to Seattle by way of a former Spurs assistant, then back to San Antonio once waived seems a little iffy. it certainly looks it on the surface and I've seen articles talking about how Barry never cleaned out his Spurs locker once traded posted in this very forum. Those posts were practically celebrated, but when an outsider questions such, they are a bitch for doing so? Come on! That doesn't add up.

Kerr can be a bitch for a number of reasons. In this case, I think largely for dragging an unaffiliated player into the discussion, but if you're calling him a bitch for having an opinion on a iffy situation, then you're just looking for an excuse to dislike him.

Not every one-time Spur can be Elliott.

I'm not saying you have to celebrate what he's said, or even agree with it, but if having an opinion on a topic makes you a bitch, then every poster in every forum in all the world is one.

SpurOutofTownFan
03-03-2008, 03:35 PM

HAHAHHA

coopdogg3
03-03-2008, 03:37 PM
What we're saying is that he looks stupid for mentioning a player that CAN'T be waived, mean for mentioning a player that wasn't involved in the dispute, and he looks like a bitch for griping about it when it just sounds lame. His team is in a tail-spin and it looks like an odd combination of sour-grapes and a scape-goat.

SpurOutofTownFan
03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
I'.

Whos the lady in the picture?

JMarkJohns
03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Kerr = dumbest GM in recent history with Suns

D'Antoni's sold draft picks and signings of Piatkowski, Marks and Banks beg to differ. I've seen Tucker in college and I think he's got good potential if developed. I've seen Strawberry play very well in actual NBA games. Those two picks of Kerr's already trump any D'Antoni pick, largely because there never was a D'Antoni pick. They were always traded. Plus, Hill was a great signing for production and cost. Infinitely better than Banks, Piatkowski or Marks have been. Hell, even Skinner has performed well when given the minutes. You may bring up the trades of Jones, Thomas and Marion for nothing, nothing and Shaq, but of the three, the only move that was Kerr's was the Shaq trade. Yes, it appears bad, but I give him credit for making the bold move. They were going to win as they were assembled. Something had to be done.

Whatever his flaws, Kerr is far and away the better GM twixt he and D'Antoni.

That's the sad part. He's that much better and the Suns are still effed!

JMarkJohns
03-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Whos the lady in the picture?

Kat Von D of L.A. Ink and Miami Ink fame...

SpurOutofTownFan
03-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Kat Von D of L.A. Ink and Miami Ink fame...

Interesting her parents were both born in Argentina before moving to Mexico.

JMarkJohns
03-03-2008, 03:46 PM
What we're saying is that he looks stupid for mentioning a player that CAN'T be waived, mean for mentioning a player that wasn't involved in the dispute, and he looks like a bitch for griping about it when it just sounds lame. His team is in a tail-spin and it looks like an odd combination of sour-grapes and a scape-goat.

I get what your saying. Now, get what I'm saying. Had he never brought another player into the discussion, your point would be moot, therefore my point trumps your point. He should have stuck to Barry and San Antonio. Was it sour grapes? Probably, but like I've said, on the surface, it's fairly simple to connect the dots and come away with this line of thought. I've seen articles in this same forum that celebrated the likelihood of Barry returning once waived since he never cleaned out his Spurs locker. I don't get why it's so hard to admit he, at least on the surface, has a point. Did he need to talk about it? No. Was he most likely answering a question asked of him? Yes. I'm not going to fault a GM for having a valid point then voicing it.

However, he should have kept it simple and left the unaffiliated players out of it. Such, like you said, made him look stupid and petty.

JMarkJohns
03-03-2008, 03:49 PM
But whatever, I guess I'm a bitch for even thinking such...

Just don't discount Kerr. Not that it was you or ChumpDumper, but that's as stupid and petty as anything Kerr said. Maybe more so...

ChumpDumper
03-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with that second quote of yours. Connect the dots. It's hard not to think such.It's fine for message board fodder. I personally expect more from NBA general managers.
Again, I don't fault Barry for passing on the Suns or Rockets in favor of the Spurs. Not one bit. But I also don't fault Kerr for saying Barry from San Antonio to Seattle by way of a former Spurs assistant, then back to San Antonio once waived seems a little iffy. it certainly looks it on the surface and I've seen articles talking about how Barry never cleaned out his Spurs locker once traded posted in this very forum. Those posts were practically celebrated, but when an outsider questions such, they are a bitch for doing so? Come on! That doesn't add up.Again. He's an NBA general manager who told the press just days earlier that he thought he had a good shot at getting Barry after he was waived. He was either lying then or being a bitch about it now.

Kerr can be a bitch for a number of reasons. In this case, I think largely for dragging an unaffiliated player into the discussion, but if you're calling him a bitch for having an opinion on a iffy situation, then you're just looking for an excuse to dislike him.I'm calling him stupid for bringing a player that could not be waived in Barry's stead because Barry's waiving was necessary to make the trade for Marchall possible. There never could have been a choice whether to waive Barry or Marshall at that moment because Marshall was on a different NBA team. It was flat out stupid to mention him, not bitchy.

Not every one-time Spur can be Elliott.

I'm not saying you have to celebrate what he's said, or even agree with it, but if having an opinion on a topic makes you a bitch, then every poster in every forum in all the world is one.I don't disagree with that characterization. We just don't choose to do it on a national media stage when we clearly do not have to.

I actually have a pretty high opinion of the guy on the whole, but in this situation Kerr came off as a stupid, inept bitch. You won't change my mind about this.

MajorMike
03-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Kerr can be a bitch for a number of reasons. In this case, I think largely for dragging an unaffiliated player into the discussion, but if you're calling him a bitch for having an opinion on a iffy situation, then you're just looking for an excuse to dislike him.

Completely disagree. Did he not tell the press he thought the Suns had a great chance at getting Barry, then turned around and show his vagina when he is says it was a pre-arrainged deal (i.e. the Suns never actually HAD a shot at signing him)?

You can have your opinion about a situation and be all good; if he would have left it at that, made some statement (as Pop did) that something didn't seem completely correct about the situation and it would be nice if we had a trade board to look into such matters, then he could have gotten his point across (as Pop did) without looking like a complete hoo-hoo. However his opinion turned personal and included an erroneous statement and an accusation of wrongdoing based upon that erroneous statement. That is what, in fact, makes him a bitch in this situation.

Moral of the story:
If you can't handle the media, don't open your yap.

Slydragon
03-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Kerr is to white for Phoenix that hot Sun has baked his brain stupid.

timvp
03-03-2008, 05:03 PM
However, the above comment and any like it are just hogwash. Not only did Kerr save your asses in 2002-03 in a hadful of crucial games

I mean, what the hell is a matter with you people? You may have lost to the freakin' Nets in 02-03 without Kerr.Oh my gosh, The Legend of Steve Kerr has even started to spread to fans of other teams. See what you started with all your make believe fairy tale crap, whottt.

For the record, Kerr hit seven shots that entire playoff run. To put it in Suns perspective, he hit one-third of the amount of shots James Jones hit last season in the playoffs. And as you know, the Suns were eliminated in the second round.

Only one game did Kerr "save their ass" and even in that game, that phrase would be more appropriate to describe what Stephen Jackson and Malik Rose did. Against the Nets, Kerr was basically a non-factor. In one game he played after the Spurs were already up and hit a few shots. In another game, he played, sucked and the Spurs fell into a hole.

But I guess it's too late now that the disease is starting to spread to other teams . . .

P.S.

Kerr is probably smelling the river.

Holt's Cat
03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
It was Jack and Malik who brought the Spurs back in Game 6 of that series. Kerr only had that opportunity thanks to those two.

The thing I find amusing is that most Spurs fans reference DRob cheering on the sidelines as the Spurs came back and closed out that series on their way to their second trip to the NBA finals. Why was he on the bench, Spurs fans?

Malik and Jack were the unsung heroes of the '03 title run, yet so much of the glory seems to find its way to easily the most undeserving player on the team. San Antonio's love affair with Steve Kerr when compared with his actual performance as a San Antonio Spur makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Harry Callahan
03-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Kerr is smelling the mass amounts of Methane gas his new 330 pound center is soooooo very capable of producing. Not to mention the crappy play on the floor by the Suns.

The Spurs obsession in Phoenix continues.

GSH
03-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Kerr should be getting a personal call from David Stern over this one. It's one thing to question a trade, it's another to come right out and say that the Spurs broke the rules. Besides slandering Holt, Popovich, Presti, and Barry, he is questioning the validity of the league. And that is almost as dangerous as the referee scandal.

Any team that really wanted Barry could have claimed him off waivers, just for paying his contract. He could have belonged to the Suns, with no possibility of going back to the Spurs. If Cur is upset that Barry isn't wearing a Suns jersey, he has only himself to blame.

Once Barry cleared waivers, he was free to sign with any team that made him an offer. If you had a choice between the Spurs' organization, and playing for a couple of pricks like Kerr and D'Antoni, which would you choose? (And if it's a question of getting another ring, getting rid of Marion and bring in Shaq didn't help things either.) Why would Cur think his winning personality was going to be enough to bring Barry to the Suns, after the way he talked about the Spurs over the last couple of years?

This latest outburst could make it harder for Kerr to get players in the future too. He courted Barry, but when Barry didn't sign he publicly accused him of cheating. I think it's important to call a spade a spade. The back-door deal that Kerr says took place would have required Barry to participate in the collusion. Why would any player accept a personal recruiting visit from Kerr after this?

gospursgojas
03-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Kerr should be getting a personal call from David Stern over this one. It's one thing to question a trade, it's another to come right out and say that the Spurs broke the rules. Besides slandering Holt, Popovich, Presti, and Barry, he is questioning the validity of the league. And that is almost as dangerous as the referee scandal.

Any team that really wanted Barry could have claimed him off waivers, just for paying his contract. He could have belonged to the Suns, with no possibility of going back to the Spurs. If Cur is upset that Barry isn't wearing a Suns jersey, he has only himself to blame.

Once Barry cleared waivers, he was free to sign with any team that made him an offer. If you had a choice between the Spurs' organization, and playing for a couple of pricks like Kerr and D'Antoni, which would you choose? (And if it's a question of getting another ring, getting rid of Marion and bring in Shaq didn't help things either.) Why would Cur think his winning personality was going to be enough to bring Barry to the Suns, after the way he talked about the Spurs over the last couple of years?

This latest outburst could make it harder for Kerr to get players in the future too. He courted Barry, but when Barry didn't sign he publicly accused him of cheating. I think it's important to call a spade a spade. The back-door deal that Kerr says took place would have required Barry to participate in the collusion. Why would any player accept a personal recruiting visit from Kerr after this?

Can't stop laughing @ your sig!
:lol :lol :lol :lol

temujin
03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Kerr is as connected to the Spurs as Presti.
While Presti is not harming Seattle significantly with the Thomas trade,
sending Marion to Miami for the ghost of Schiachillo
only makes sense for opposing teams.
Specifically, the Spurs.

After the Gasol "trade", I had called upon Popovich to activate his links.
Whom he has aplenty.

He did.

It's just unclear who worked out better.

Sec24Row7
03-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Kerr is a bitch for trying to get Duncan Suspended after game 4 of the WCF last year for a non factor play.

Other than that he can say what he wants... but that was a Bush league move on his part last year to compare Duncan leaving the bench when Cisco fell to Amare and Boris leaving after Nash got shot.

Supreme_Being
03-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Suns think something smells in San Antonio? Don't they always do?

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
haha after nash got shot....

Budkin
03-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Boo Hoo Suns are done and have gone back to whining.

carina_gino20
03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
On the other hand, I can say without a doubt that there was NOT an altercation going on.

There wasn't anything close to a "heated confrontation" between two players.

That's why he's a tool for even suggesting that Timmy should have been suspended.

carina_gino20
03-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I wonder what Pop has to say about this. But CIA Pop won't likely be giving us sound bites anytime soon.

CarefreeAZ
03-03-2008, 09:32 PM
What? Something smells in San Antonio? Check the Riverwalk. I think Suns Fans are going to be throwing D'Antoni in there after the season.

J.T.
03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
There may have been some behind-closed-doors talks between the Spurs and Barry, there may not have been. But the fact of the matter is there are teams out there that are contending right now in the west, and they could have claimed Barry off waivers. And they didn't. Then there are teams like Golden State and Dallas that could have offered Barry a decent deal and didn't because they want to save trade exemptions or capspace for free agency. If he went to Phoenix he would have cost them mucho dinero in lux tax because they took on Fat Shaq's contract.

And then there's the reverse of this situation. I'm sure Brent and his agent discussed all the options and decided coming home to San Antonio was the best financially and would give him a decent chance at competing for another championship. So if there was no collusions between the Spurs and Brent, and he simply didn't want to trade in his Spurs for a first or second round exit, then big fucking deal.

CaptainLate
03-03-2008, 11:17 PM
yea, Kwame Brown for Gasol has got to be the most shady deal I've seen in a while..lol

This trade took the whole damn league by surprise...even the pundits. :wtf

Had other teams known Gasol was up for grabs, Memphis could have rcvd a ton better in compensation. That's why Pop said what he said about the trade committee. It just didn't make sense.

This fish smelled :dizzy from the git go.

Supreme_Being
03-04-2008, 04:52 AM
Sorry PHX fans. Time to go :fishing.

2Cleva
03-04-2008, 05:14 AM
In my post-trade-deadline blog, I wondered why Otis Smith didn't trump San Antonio's offer for Kurt Thomas. Well, Florida Today reported Seattle demanded first-rounders in 2008 and 2010 from Orlando, then settled for a 2008 first-rounder from San Antonio that will be a worse pick than the pick Orlando was offering. Um, how is that not collusion? Sam Presti worked for the Spurs; now he's giving them a discount price for Thomas? Throw in Brent Barry's curious decision to spurn Phoenix for the Spurs, as well as Steve Kerr's frustrated comments afterward, and this is like one of those shady incidents that happens in a fantasy league. I thought Presti stopped working for the Spurs?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/links/080303

whottt
03-04-2008, 05:52 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/links/080303In my post-trade-deadline blog, I wondered why Otis Smith didn't trump San Antonio's offer for Kurt Thomas. Well, Florida Today reported Seattle demanded first-rounders in 2008 and 2010 from Orlando, then settled for a 2008 first-rounder from San Antonio that will be a worse pick than the pick Orlando was offering. Um, how is that not collusion? Sam Presti worked for the Spurs; now he's giving them a discount price for Thomas? Throw in Brent Barry's curious decision to spurn Phoenix for the Spurs, as well as Steve Kerr's frustrated comments afterward, and this is like one of those shady incidents that happens in a fantasy league. I thought Presti stopped working for the

Well maybe Seattle wanted Elson.

The pick San Antonio gave them was a 2009, not a 2008.

And Barry could have been picked up off waivers.

And maybe, just maybe, Barry didn't to play for Phoenix. Obviously, he didn't want to play for Phoenix. Heaven forbid we live in a free country.

Bruno
03-04-2008, 06:09 AM
You should look at the financial aspect in a trade.
By taking Elson+Barry instead of Garrity+Arroyo, Sonics have saved $800K. It's logical that Seattle was asking more to Orlando than to SA.

J.T.
03-04-2008, 06:10 AM
And, it's Brent Barry, people. It's not like the Spurs are getting Kobe. Barry handles the ball well and is a good shooter, but his defense isn't perfect. He fits the Spurs system well, chances are he wouldn't have cracked D'Antoni's rotation much anyway. You want to bitch about unfair trades, go bitch at Lakerfan for getting Pau Gasol for a fucking happy meal.

hsxvvd
03-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Steve Kerr was never a true spur, just a hired assassin.

m33p0
03-04-2008, 06:38 AM
... it's all the bullshit the suns are throwing the spurs' way.

Manu-of-steel
03-04-2008, 06:44 AM
kerr smelled the stinking corpse of his losing team. that's something that he should be worried of.

CubanMustGo
03-04-2008, 10:23 AM
By taking Elson+Barry instead of Garrity+Arroyo, Sonics have saved $800K. It's logical that Seattle was asking more to Orlando than to SA.

Now don't throw logic and facts into this, Bruno. If it's one thing Sun Fan/Sun FO can't deal with, it's the truth.

angel_luv
03-04-2008, 11:05 AM
I am just coming to this thread. I wondered about this quote from the article.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was furious at Kerr, a former Spur, and told him privately that Kerr had too many hats on — broadcasting and ownership.

If Pop told Kerr that privately, who told the press about it? Kerr?

I am so over Steve Kerr, by the way. Phoenix can have him.
Too bad because I liked Kerr when he was a Spur.
At least we'll always have Kerr-ville. :)

ChumpDumper
03-04-2008, 01:55 PM
By taking Elson+Barry instead of Garrity+Arroyo, Sonics have saved $800K. It's logical that Seattle was asking more to Orlando than to SA.I wouldn't doubt the Spurs' sending some cash to sweeten the deal as well.

K-State Spur
03-04-2008, 02:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/links/080303

I enjoy his writing, he's funny. But most people on this board know as much (if not more) about non-Celtic issues in the NBA than Simmons does.

Holt's Cat
03-04-2008, 02:25 PM
The Celtics never engage in funny looking deals.