PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Bubble Watch

MajorMike
03-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Right now, they list only KU and UT as locks.

The write-up also does not include the fact that uo's Griffin had surgery Sunday on his partially torn the medial meniscus (knee) and will miss the Sooners' final two regular-season basketball games if not more.

Work left to do: Oklahoma, Baylor, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State

The Big 12 is now officially a complete mess. K-State has lost five of six. Texas A&M has lost four of five and has a really rough last two. Now Oklahoma State has poked its way into the mix while Texas Tech took out Texas for a marquee win. How anyone would sort through this bunch today is anyone's guess. ... You can see anywhere from four to six bids coming out of this conference, depending on the stretch run.
Work left to do:

Oklahoma [19-10 (7-7), RPI: 28, SOS: 8] The Sooners throttled Texas A&M on Saturday to get a huge win for their profile and really put a dent in the Aggies' hopes. Wednesday's game at OK State is now huge for both teams with the Pokes' recent surge. For tiebreaker purposes, remember that Oklahoma swept Baylor, which may be No. 3 in the league pecking order at the moment. OU's three-game skid earlier this month came when Longar Longar was out, so they should get some consideration there. As far as nonconference play, early losses to Memphis and USC were understandable. The home loss to Stephen F. Austin was less so, even with the excellent season SFA is having. The Sooners did beat Gonzaga and West Virginia on neutral floors for some heft and some good tiebreaking chips, if needed.

Baylor [19-8 (8-6), RPI: 33, SOS: 39] This is the way this season has gone: The Bears lost six out of seven in one stretch in Big 12 play and now look to be ahead of K-State for third in the pecking order. They handled Colorado and Mizzou and now have a chance to really help themselves by beating Texas A&M on Wednesday. They close at Texas Tech. In nonconference play, Baylor beat Notre Dame and Winthrop on its way to the Paradise Jam title in the Virgin Islands, and it also won at South Carolina. The Bears' nonconference losses were by three to Washington State at home and to Arkansas in Dallas.

Kansas State [17-10 (8-6), RPI: 43, SOS: 11] Early foul trouble more or less defused the rematch with Kansas. K-State has lost five of its last six and is in some bubble trouble, for now. The Wildcats have a very manageable last two (Colorado, at Iowa State) and probably need to get both of them to feel good about their position entering the Big 12 tourney. 10-6 might be good enough to get a first-round bye, so K-State might need to win its quarterfinal game, which would be against one of the other bubblers. Having a win over Kansas never hurts, but a win over Cal is the best thing on a nonconference résumé that includes losses to George Mason, Notre Dame, Oregon and Xavier.

Texas A&M [20-8 (7-7), RPI: 46, SOS: 91] Aggies fans should now be considerably concerned after Saturday's awful performance in Norman gave A&M four losses in five games. Now the Aggies travel to Baylor for a huge game on Wednesday before closing at home with Kansas. Neither is a gimme in the least, and it's not certain that A&M can overcome a 7-9 league mark. The Aggies really need to get at least one of these next two. Their best nonconference win, over Ohio State, is rapidly losing steam. The other wins -- over UTEP, Washington, Alabama and LSU -- were decent but not great. Having blown a big lead and lost at Arizona might prove costly. They do have a big win in league play over Texas.

Texas Tech [15-12 (7-7), RPI: 47, SOS: 3] What do you make of the Red Raiders? They lost by 43 at reeling Texas A&M and then stunned Texas at home for a marquee win. They have two more big chances -- at Kansas and vs. Baylor -- to improve their position. They'll need at least one of those plus some damage in the Big 12 tourney to have a real shot, but the opportunity is still there. Texas Tech beat Gonzaga in nonconference play (in Alaska) but also lost at Sam Houston State and Centenary.

Oklahoma State [15-12 (7-7), RPI: 73, SOS: 30] It's time to take a quick peek at the Pokes. Five straight wins have them at .500 in the league, and they have chances against Oklahoma (to beat a bubble rival) and at Texas (marquee road win) to improve their lot considerably by this time next week. The pounding of Washington is the best result in a less-than-great nonconference run that includes losses to Marquette, Pitt, Oral Roberts, Illinois and North Texas.

ClingingMars
03-03-2008, 07:07 PM
UVa doesn't even make the list...yikes what a shitty year. Hello, NIT.

-Mars

redraiderinfiji
03-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Techs rpi is not too far away from the marron boys!!!!!

Go tech!

Doug Collins
03-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Aggies dont deserve to be in unless they win out and make a b12 tourney run. Right now they're out.

spursRgay
03-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Let's Go Houston!!!
:clap :clap
:clap :clap :clap

degenerate_gambler
03-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Aggies dont deserve to be in unless they win out and make a b12 tourney run. Right now they're out.

they'll beat Baylor, lose to KU and make the semis in the B12 tourney....that'll be enough to get 'em in.

AFBlue
03-04-2008, 10:20 AM
they'll beat Baylor

I wouldn't count on it....

Baylor knows they need to finish strong, so I doubt they take this contest lightly.

Doug Collins
03-04-2008, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't count on it....

Baylor knows they need to finish strong, so I doubt they take this contest lightly.

Agreed. The aggies shouldve beaten OU especially with an injured Blake Griffin and ended up getting destroyed. This is not a gimme win at all, and I would expect Baylor to win. Of course, I would really like it if the Ags could pull it out.

AFBlue
03-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Agreed. The aggies shouldve beaten OU especially with an injured Blake Griffin and ended up getting destroyed. This is not a gimme win at all, and I would expect Baylor to win. Of course, I would really like it if the Ags could pull it out.

Damn Griffin....

Word was that he was going to be out for 4 weeks, but instead he misses one game and comes back to DOMINATE Baylor. That was a sad loss for the Bears.

And NOW he has surgery... :lol

Seriously though, that kid is a beast. When he's not overshadowed by Beasley (a.k.a. next year) he'll be the talk of the Big 12, IMO.

degenerate_gambler
03-06-2008, 09:48 AM
they'll beat Baylor, lose to KU and make the semis in the B12 tourney....that'll be enough to get 'em in.

...it's occasional nuggets like last nite's game that sometimes seem to good to be true.

aggy getting points @ baylor??? sign me up everyday and twice on sundays.

cha-ching...

johngateswhiteley
03-06-2008, 09:50 AM

Your team is just schizo enough to go in and win tonite.

I'd be surprised if they can pull it off, but not shocked.

...wha what?

degenerate_gambler
03-06-2008, 10:03 AM
...wha what?

i'm a bigger fan of money than any one team....period

that's why I beat the Man and Joe Blow takes it up the ass.

MajorMike
03-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Well last night thinned things out a bit. I would say that it completely excluded ttek from the NCAA and barring a huge upset in Austin left the Pokes out as well. uo looks to be a shoo-in, and because OSU and ttek are now out of the picture I think it automatically includes BU and atm as well. atm finally got the road win over a tourney team box checked, so I can't see how they aren't included.

#1 UT - 2 seed
#2 KU - 2 seed
#3 KSU - 7 seed
#4 uo - 8 seed
#5 BU - 9 seed
#6 atm - 10 seed

tlongII
03-11-2008, 12:29 PM
San Diego!!!!

Is that your school GiG? I see that they beat Gonzaga. If so, congrats!