PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Spurs Memory?

bthewigwam
03-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Aside from the obvious championships answer.
I haven't been lucky enough to live in SA and go to lots of games but when I was younger, I would fine tune my radio to night games on WOAI all the way from KC, MO while I did my homework (my parents were very concerned about me). But one of my best memories is DRob's quadruple double.

2-17-1994 Detroit Pistons 96, San Antonio Spurs 115
43 MP, 12-20 FG, 10-17 FT, 10 TRB, 10 AST, 2 STL, 10 BLK, 34 PTS.

Awesome.

Strike
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Not counting the championships, two come to mind:

1. The Memorial Day Miracle.

2. The 1st Spurs game I ever attended. I live in Portland and when I was a kid, I was able to land a couple tickets to a Blazers/Spurs game during the Rodman era. I went decked out in all the Spurs gear I had. Some guy about 3 seats over bet me $100 that the Blazers would win. Well, the Spurs won and the guy welched on the bet. I was just a kid and the dude was, well, much bigger than me so I let it go. The only stat line I remember from the game is the Spurs going 24/24 from the free throw line.

bthewigwam
03-03-2008, 03:51 PM
I was just a kid and the dude was, well, much bigger than me so I let it go.

:ihit

:lol

remingtonbo2001
03-03-2008, 03:54 PM
1. 2003 NBA Finals, Game 6. - I was there. It was great. Went down on the floor during the ceremony. Enough said.

2. Memorial Day Miracle - Best game I've ever seen. Wish I was there.

J.T.
03-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Hands down my favorite Spurs memory is attending Game 7 against Detroit in person. So far the greatest day of my life.

duncan228
03-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Hands down my favorite Spurs memory is attending Game 7 against Detroit in person. So far the greatest day of my life.

I'm jealous.
The last 6 minutes of that third quarter are some of my favorite Duncan minutes of all-time.
The fourth quarter wasn't so bad either! :)

jman3000
03-03-2008, 04:13 PM

for me as well. although memorial day miracle was pretty awesome to see in person.. even if it was from the nosebleeds at the dome.

i dont think ive ever gone from being so dejected, as i was during that 3rd quarter, to being so happy once sean hit that 3... i lost my voice for a couple days after that game.

i remember yelling "holy shit that was the hardest shot ive ever seen somebody hit" and my mom was right next to me. i was 13 years old that year... but i remember every second of that celebration.

TampaDude
03-03-2008, 04:17 PM
1. Game 5 of the 1999 Finals...AJ with the game winner...Sprewell comes up short on the other end...Spurs get their first Championship...I remember it like it was yesterday. :toast

2. The Memorial Day Miracle...without that, #1 might never have happened. :toast

Don Quixote
03-03-2008, 04:21 PM
My greatest Spurs memories, in no particular order ...

(1) Shutting down the L.A. Forum and sending Laker fans home crying in 99, when the Silver & Black completed the 4-0 sweep.

(2) Avery knocking down the series-winner against the Knicks in 99. The Spurs celebrating on the court. Tim holding a cam-corder.

(3) The game against Houston in 96, when we were down by double-digits well into the 3d quarter. Then Vinny del Negro took the inbounds pass, said "screw it, I'm putting this one up" from about 30 ft. He swished it, and the comeback was on. We went from 14 down to winning by 28, all in the space of about 15 minutes.

(4) The Memorial Day Miracle. One of their finest moments. Saw the game in Flint, Michigan, with family.

(5) Big Shot Bob going Corn-holio in the 4th Q of Game 5 against the Pistons in the Finals. Made 6 threes, including the game winner, and made a ferocious dunk in the process.

(6) David Robinson retiring a champion in 03. He got a standing O from the home crowd that night.

(7) The Silver & Black taking it to the Ringless Wonders from Phoenix in the real NBA Finals last year. Nash and his bloody nose. Sons fans still crying about it -- they won't win any titles anytime soon. On that note, Manu opening the 05 WCFs with a dunk off the opening tip, and Bones going for 25 that night. I'm surprised we didn't sweep that one.

(8) Pop bringing Kerr off the bench to save Game 6 in the WCFs against Dallas in 03.

(9) Sending the Lakers home crying in 03. Watched that one at my best friend's bachelor party.

(10) Avery Johnson catching a pass from the post, faking Mighty Mouse into the air, spinning, and draining a 20-footer in the last game vs. Portland in 99.

(11) Going to the WCF in 90 and 95. Dang, those were good teams.

I feel better now. I love these threads.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-03-2008, 04:24 PM
the '99 championship celebration at the alamodome. that's the only one i've attended and that mother was loud.

Budkin
03-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Seeing David Robinson (the reason I started following the Spurs) go to the sideline at the end of Game 6 in the 2003 Finals and jump up and down pumping his fist, retiring a champion. That shit was amazing.

bthewigwam
03-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Nice ones Quizote. Of course I should include The Memorial Day Miracle.
Anyone remember a Sean Elliott's dunk when it seemed like he elevated to another level mid-air?

FromWayDowntown
03-03-2008, 04:38 PM
But one of my best memories is DRob's quadruple double.

Awesome.

I can still remember sitting in my apartment listening to that game on the radio and hearing Jay Howard continually noting in the latter part of the 4th quarter that David needed 2 more blocks, and then one more block; and I remember that on either the 9th or the 10th block, he just stopped calling the play on the floor until he got an official update that Dave had been awarded that 10th block.

I also remember listening to (but not watching) Dave's 71 point game.

I think the MDM remains my favorite memory, if only because it gave me a true belief that the Spurs would win a championship. A close second from that season is Mario Elie's 3 that stopped the clock at .1 against Houston in a game that the Spurs rallied from way back to win. A very close third to that is Tim Duncan's performance on a Sunday afternoon at the Dome against the Jazz in a game that the Spurs absolutely had to have. Somehow noting that it was a 26-14 game for Timmy doesn't do justice to his effort that day.

I will never forget the way the Spurs played Game 6 at LA in 2003. I will never forget the way that they rallied from down 1-3 against Dallas in 2006 and should have finished it -- I've never been prouder of a Spurs team than that one.

Another fave of mine, though, is listening to a Spurs game on the radio in 1978 or 1979 and hearing the call of Louie Dampier hitting a big shot. I was 7 or 8 at the time and had never been made aware of the Spurs in any way until that day. After that, I was hooked. I might have been the only kid that age in San Antonio who sneaked away at bedtime to listen to AM radio.

urunobili
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
the most recent one among the ones i lived live not on TV.... last week being in Dallas on a Bar to watch the game against them when Terry got Bowened at the end of the game... priceless... after i started shouting they where starting to say that regular season games don;t mean anything... :toast:

SilverSpur
03-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Watching the 1997 lottery results in my bedroom. Saw how SA jumped into the mix for the first pick after Boston was given the third pick ,which should have gone to SA. I remember saying "Please let this happen"
Then I saw the Sixers given the second pick. At that moment I ran all around my apartment swinging my fist in the air saying "Yes! Tim Duncan is all ours!", but after I ran out of breath I started to think,"watch SA screw this up and take Ron Mercer". I'm glad we took Tim.

Any way the 97 lottery comes to mind as one of my favorite spurs moments..

mexicanjunior
03-03-2008, 05:53 PM

We didn't make it to the WCF in 90, we lost to Portland in the Semis that year. They went on to play Phoenix and beat them in the WCF (should have been us had it not been for that non call against Drexler at the end of the Game 7 holding Willie Anderson).

As for my memories, the Memorial Day Miracle is my #1, the Jay Howard call is one of my ringtones. A few other ones that come to mind...

* Beating the Lakers in 6 in 2003 and watching Kobe and Fisher cry their way off the court...good times.

* Steve Kerr killing the Mavs in Game 6 of the 2003 playoffs. I watched this in Dallas with my roommate, who was a huge Mavs fan. After the game, I turned to him and said "...Kerrplunk...." :lol

* Stephen Jackson redeeming himself after tons of ridiculous turnovers in Game 6 of the 2003 Finals against the Nets with some really clutch 3's.

* Game 2 of the 99 NBA Finals against the Knicks, mainly because I was there. Unfortunately, it has been the only Finals game I have been able to attend since... :depressed

* Horry saving the series in Game 5 of the Finals against the Pistons. I watched this one in Canada (Nova Scotia) at a hotel. It was around 2am when it ended but well worth the non-sleep. :)

* Game 7 of the 2005 Finals, again I was in Canada and had it watch it on delay. Once it ended, I had about 3 hours to sleep and get ready for the long flight back from Nova Scotia to Dallas, TX. It was the best non-sleep and flight back ever...

* The riverwalk parade after the first championship will hold a special place in my heart also, since it was the first and the enthusiasm of the city was incredible...good times.

jag
03-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Seeing Sean Elliott jumping around when the last second ticked off the clock after beating the knicks for the first title.

I'll never forget that feeling.

ClingingMars
03-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Horry for 3 in 2005 in the Finals.

-Mars

jag
03-03-2008, 05:57 PM
* The riverwalk parade after the first championship will hold a special place in my heart also, since it was the first and the enthusiasm of the city was incredible...good times.

I flew down from TN to be there. I'll never forget that either.

Road Warrior
03-03-2008, 06:03 PM
One game that sticks out to me was a game back in 2001 against the Mavs when Timmy went for 53 points. I was at that game and even though we lost Duncan was just incredible that game and i'll always remember it.

Duff McCartney
03-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Game 6 of the WCF in 2003. That was probably the best moment for me. I shared it with some other Spurstalkers as well. We all pretty much mailed it in for 3 quarters. Then the 4th quarter came and the comeback was on.

There was a plan for a GTG, but when the Spurs lost Game 5 they were scrapped because everyone pretty much knew the series was going 7. So there was a GTG at Maggies and there was only about 8-9 of us in one round table.

Then Jax and Kerr started draining 3's and everyone went apeshit.

Another one is going to Wings N More with my cousin for Game 6 against the Lakers in 03 as well. Everyone thought that was going 7 as well then the Spurs went off on the Lakers. It was good times. I remember going to the airport after that game.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-03-2008, 06:23 PM
mine will always always always be game 5 of the 2005 finals.

Robert Horry pulled off one of the all time great finals performances.

#2 is MDM

Agloco
03-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Aquiring Uwe Blab.

baseline bum
03-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Easily the Memorial Day Miracle. Rob's shot in game 5 was incredible too, but I wasn't at that game.

cornbread
03-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Seeing Dwayne Schintzius at North Star Mall when I was 8. What glorious day it was!

Lebowski Brickowski
03-03-2008, 08:04 PM

Ditto. :toast

Lebowski Brickowski
03-03-2008, 08:07 PM
2nd place would be Game 1 vs. the Knicks in 1999. I've NEVEER witnessed mass histeria and excitement on that scale before or since. That whole day I spent with my buddy down at Sunset Station drinking and listening to about 23 different mariachi bands before finally finding our upper deck seats and yelling ourselves hoarse.

bthewigwam
03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224/vipult/09F.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224/vipult/dwayne_schintzius_manwhore.jpg

SpurAddict561
03-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Robert Horry in the Finals or

The Admiral 71 points......

wow

CubanSucks
03-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Watching The Admiral's press conference after the 2003 championship. And, at this last river parade when Oberto was like a couple feet from me and gave me a thumbs up and kept the pose so I could get a picture.

Barbarian
03-03-2008, 08:51 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/elliott_miracle_200w.jpg
http://www.nba.com/media/playoffs2004/elliott_99_450.jpg

Russ
03-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Games I attended:

1. Game 6 -- 2003 Lakers Series. The "Crying Game." The Spurs end the Lakers bid for a "fourpeat" on the way to winning the title themselves. Kobe and Fisher wail away on the bench as reality sinks in.

2. Game 7 -- 2005 Detroit Series. Best playoff series in Spurs history. Spurs were down most of the game until Manu almost single-handedly won it.

3. Game 4 -- 1999 Lakers Series. Spurs sweep Shaq, Kobe and the Lakers on the way to their first title. They also close down the "Fabulous Forum" with a sweep in the last game ever played in the Showtime Lakers' playground. That bit of history can never be undone. :)

tmtcsc
03-03-2008, 09:51 PM

Same here. That was the most incredible game, the most exciting atmosphere and a great comeback. The Pistons to this day remain our greatest opponent in the finals. The Knicks, Nets and Cavs were all comic relief.

If I had to pick a non championship memory it would probably be Game 6 against the Lakers on our way to our first Championship. WE BLEW THEM OUT ON THEIR OWN FLOOR ! We shut down the Forum and ended the 3 year run. Kobe was crying and DFish was a mess.

AWESOME.

td4mvp21
03-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Game 6 of the 2003 WCSF...Duncan putting on a clinic and the Spurs bitch-slapping the Lakers out of the playoffs on their turf, all while ending their 3-peat

2005 @ Phoenix...the Spurs fight back from 17 down and win in Phoenix to claim the best record in the league. Ginobili with a career high 48 points

Unknown game...ex-Spurs Robinson shows up wearing a Ginobili jersey :lol I love Robinson

2004 vs. the Pistons...Duncan slams over Ben Wallace dirty

2004 WCSF, Game 2 vs. Lakers...Parker then playoff career high 30 points topped off with a crossover that loses George and then a floater over O'Neal. That's when I knew Parker was going to be fucking good

2003 @ Dallas...Tony Parker tear drop over Dirk and Shawn Bradley in a huge overtime win at Dallas

2003 vs. T-Wolves...I was at that game and Stephen Jackson burries a three pointer at the buzzer to send it into overtime

2003 WCF Game 6 @ Dallas...Jackson hits two threes in a row, including one where he steals it from Finley, trots up court, spots up at the line, nothing but pure swish. I get goosebumps every fucking time I watch that sequence

Game 7, NBA Finals 2005 vs. Detroit...I can't explain something that satisfying. Although 2003 was by far my favorite, I can't even describe the satisfaction I felt seeing the Spurs win it 2005. That season, and that series, was a fucking rollercoaster ride. The Spurs had the best record for much of the year, yet they battled injuries, a shaky road record amongst other things. Duncan sprained his ankle 4 or 5 times that season, including against Seattle in the second round. I thought the Spurs would lose that series against the Pistons...but they didn't.

NBA Finals 2005 Game 5...Horry burries a threepointer to give the Spurs a one point lead and later a seemingly impossible victory at Detroit.

1999 NBA Finals...I didn't watch the Spurs religiously like I do now but I remember watching the last few seconds of the last game and then seeing the paper the next day. Also, I got my first Spurs hat ever a couple of weeks later...a 1999 championshpi hat. The first step towards becoming a hardcore Spurs fan

2006 vs. Pistons...We lost this game by double digits. And we were down most of the game. But I will never forget how hard that Spurs team fought the Pistons, who were playing fucking good at that time. They fought and fought and fought. And the Spurs fans in the audience stood up and applauded them several times, even though the Spurs were always in a deficit. Classic moment.

There are many, many more but those are the ones I remember right now.

Russ
03-03-2008, 10:10 PM
If I had to pick a non championship memory it would probably be Game 6 against the Lakers on our way to our first Championship. WE BLEW THEM OUT ON THEIR OWN FLOOR ! We shut down the Forum and ended the 3 year run. Kobe was crying and DFish was a mess.

AWESOME.
I think we're mixing a couple of storylines here.

td4mvp21
03-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Oh, and Game 6 vs. the Sonics in 2005....fuck that dirty ass team. Duncan sends them packing with a gamewinner floater off the backboard after spraining his ankle and scoring a shitload of points in the fourth.

mrsmaalox
03-03-2008, 10:22 PM
All my Spurs memories are the greatest! But I really loved the 2005 River Parade when I was looking down from a bridge, and Pop cruised by, looked me in the eye, blew me a kiss and said "thanks"! :p:

J.T.
03-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Unknown game...ex-Spurs Robinson shows up wearing a Ginobili jersey :lol I love Robinson

That was at Game 1 against the Mavs in '06.

J.T.
03-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Oh, and Game 6 vs. the Sonics in 2005....fuck that dirty ass team. Duncan sends them packing with a gamewinner floater off the backboard after spraining his ankle and scoring a shitload of points in the fourth.

Yeah and all the Sonics fans cheering when he hurt his ankle. Classless bastards.

td4mvp21
03-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah and all the Sonics fans cheering when he hurt his ankle. Classless bastards.

Yep, but they got what they deserved-a playoff exit and the lottery ever since :lol

tmtcsc
03-04-2008, 12:18 AM
I think we're mixing a couple of storylines here.

Doh !! You're right. Well, I have to merge those 2 games. They were both landmarks. I'll take the 2003 victory as it was the first playoff loss in the new building.

hsxvvd
03-04-2008, 06:23 AM
With the 1st pick in the 1997 NBA draft, The San Antonio Spurs select.... Tim Duncan of Wake Forest University.

#1 Moment in Spurs history.

DespЏrado
03-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Attending the Memorial day miracle with five dollar seats, and racing down to the baseline entrance to watch one hell of a shot go in.

CubanSucks
03-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Attending the Memorial day miracle with five dollar seats, and racing down to the baseline entrance to watch one hell of a shot go in.
Damn, am I the only one who hasn't gone to a playoff game.

duncan228
03-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Damn, am I the only one who hasn't gone to a playoff game.

No, you're not.
I've never seen them live.

CubanSucks
03-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Knowone can forget this past years "controversial" series with Phoenix, when Bruce made that three in their corner and then gave Amare and the bench a glare while running back. Might not be an emotional memory but definiately one of the coolest. FUCK PHOENIX.....sorry.

Capt Bringdown
03-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Gotta be the Memorial Day Miracle for me.
My dad had passed away 2 years earlier and I'd have to say it was the first time I felt genuine joy in a long time.

Doctor J
03-04-2008, 11:38 PM

I feel better now. I love these threads.[/QUOTE]

Spurs didn't go to WCF in 90. WCF was between Blazers and Suns!

slayermin
03-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Game two, '07 Finals. The first Finals game I ever attended involving the Spurs. Horry and TP played inspired ball and the Spurs won.

I also attended game six against Portland in '90. That was the loudest sporting event I ever attended. It was in the old Hemishpere arena. Spurs force game seven but lose in Portland when Rod Strickland attempted his infamous no-look pass to Sean Elliott.

The greatest Spurs memory I viewed on tv is the MDM.

wildbill2u
03-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Aside from the obvious championships answer.
I haven't been lucky enough to live in SA and go to lots of games but when I was younger, I would fine tune my radio to night games on WOAI all the way from KC, MO while I did my homework (my parents were very concerned about me). But one of my best memories is DRob's quadruple double.

Awesome.
Tough question cause I've been around since their first game here. You can't take away the emotion of our very first Championship. The rest were icing on the cake, but I cried when we won the first one.

I like all the previous choices but most are relatively new memories and I'd like to add a couple from our storied past.

In the Spurs official history they say:

The 1981-82 season featured one game with the second-highest point total in NBA history. In a triple-overtime contest against Milwaukee at the HemisFair Arena, the Spurs pulled away with a 171-166 win, thanks to a 50-point performance from Gervin.

Let me tell you some backstory on that game. You know when a player makes 50 points that he's usually the only one with a big game. But the reason this game went into THREE overtimes was the duel between GG and Mike Newlin of the Bucks who was a noted shooter himself. These guys swapped baskets time after time and would alternate hitting shots to bring the game into a tie again and again.

The tension was palpable and as the game went on into the 3rd overtime the old Hemisphere Arena was in a frenzy with no one sitting down. The noise in that tiny old place was unbelievable.

GG won the battle with 50 points--but Newlin wound up with 45 himself. Imagine TWO guys in one game with over 40 points. I still have the autographed scorer's sheets from the game.

Avitus1
03-05-2008, 12:32 AM
1. Memorial Game Miracle.

2. First Spurs game I went to see. It was in the Hemisphere and they played the Knicks, they lost, but damn it was such an amazing thing for me.

carina_gino20
03-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Probably the whole 2005 postseason. Losing Game 1 to Denver and then Manu just taking over after that. The rough games against the Sonics. Then toying with the Suns (including a 43-pt 4th quarter in Game 1).

But the best show was in the Finals. I didn't care if they set or tied record lows. That series was as honest and as competitive as you can get. Robert's dagger in Game 5, then just the whole team coming together to take Game 7.

Happy times. :)

greyforest
03-05-2008, 05:14 AM
this is mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g754dWS1FqM

carina_gino20
03-05-2008, 05:27 AM
this is mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g754dWS1FqM

No. 1 WTF moment from last season. Tim went from hilarious, to incredulous, to damn pissed off in less than 30 seconds. I don't think he appreciated Joey playing with his emotions like that. :lol

colargol
03-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Draft 2001
I was already a Spurs fan........
As a French this day was incredible

hater
03-05-2008, 12:09 PM
when Eva Longoria picked me up at a club

phxspurfan
03-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Kobe and D Fish crying as Kevin Willis threw down the put-back jam the night they beat the Lakers in the playoffs ('03)

03-05-2008, 02:12 PM
When they sweep the the cavs in 4 game and seeing all their fans go crazy honk their horn.That why they going to win it all this year.GO SPURS GO
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap..I want horry to get his 8 ring with the spurs also finley.He is going for his second ring.Spurs stay on top of the division.Win against your opponent. :clap :clap :hungry: :hungry:..

MajorMike
03-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Ya'll are gonna think I'm a little off base on this one.

For background, I moved to San Antonio in Feb 03 and bought tickets for the last few games to include the playoffs. It was alot of fun, obviously, but I can even tell you the exact play that cemented my loyalty to the NBA.

I come from OSU, where most years GIA is known as one of the absolute loudest places to play basketball. IMO, nothing could match that... until Game 6 of 2003.

When SJax hit the 3-pointer to put the Spurs up 73-72 with 6:33 to go, I would have never imagined an NBA arena could get that loud; but it did. Therefore, that is my fave Spurs moment.

slayermin
03-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Kobe and D Fish crying as Kevin Willis threw down the put-back jam the night they beat the Lakers in the playoffs ('03)

Actually, I think that was after Steve Smith, of all people, hit a three. That's when the floodgates opened.

koriwhat
03-05-2008, 05:42 PM
1) playing in drob's complete jersey with his huge ass shoes on vs the coyote during halftime when i was like 6-7 yrs old.

2) winning a spurs duffle bag with 2 boxes of skybox cards inside just off of buying some dumb program when i was like 8 yrs old.

3) meeting drob and the gang by squeezing between the bars that lead into the back lot at the hemisphere when i was like 8 yrs old.

4) hanging out at my mother's work where the spurs frequented weekly because that's where their lawyers were. law office.

5) watching the finals in person the last 3 championship yrs.

6) being able to talk shit to diaw as he talked shit back during game 1 of the finals last yr. awesome guy! he and parker's bro are cool cats.

7) meeting barry at jason's deli earlier this yr & horry at pf changs last yr.

8) just recently... picking up some tdunks from champs and being able to shove them in the faces of all them mav pussies as i walked down the lobby area of the at&t center this last spurs vs mavs matchup. fuck you mavs!

9) .... going to the finals this yr!