PDA

View Full Version : Are Lakers really that bad defensively?

gmartin02
03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Yeah, yeah - they are weak in the middle right now with Pau "The Sponge" Gasol playing center - we know that.

Interestingly enough, even with their best inside defender (Bynum) and possibly their best perimeter defender (Ariza) injured, they still rank 3rd best in the league in opposing team field goal % (44.2% - ahead of San Antonio, just behind Detroit), 4th best in rebounding, 6th best in blocks, 6th best in steals, 10th best in rebounding differential.

P.S. San Antonio didn't look so good on defense either in the 4 games Duncan was injured (gave up at least 96 ppg in those 4 games, outshot in all 4 games, out rebounded in 3 of the 4 games)

DazedAndConfused
03-03-2008, 06:04 PM
The difference is when Duncan goes down they still have a very capable backup in Oberto. We have fucking Didlier Mbenga.

LakerMagic
03-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Thats where our offense hopefully balances out our defense. We are letting teams put up points on us. I think the Mavs would of had a chance to beat us had they doubled Kobe down the strech. Kobe will beat you. You have to make the other Lakers beat you.

I'd also like to add that Duncan is an amazing defender. Best inside defender in the league in my opinion.

ElNono
03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Responding to the thread title.... YES

ancestron
03-03-2008, 08:13 PM
They'll beef up inside once Bynum comes back.

MajicMan
03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Yes, our defense is terrible. We can't stop penetration for shit and we're soft in the middle. Our defensive rotation is really weak and umm we really don't play team defense. It's the system and Phil's fault.

DazedAndConfused
03-03-2008, 08:20 PM
We will never be a great defensive team like SAS. We simply don't have the coaching staff for that, but we will never be as bad as say PHX. With Bynum and Ariza in the mix we can play good enough defense to hang with the elite teams of the league. It's all about balance, SAS doesn't necessarily have the most potent offense but they counter that with their stunning defensive prowess.

Allanon
03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
The Lakers right now aren't a "bad" defensive team, they're actually a good defensive team. They're just not an elite defensive team like Boston, Spurs, Detroit, Utah and recently the Rockets.

Bynum+Ariza should make the Lakers an elite defensive team again.

J.T.
03-03-2008, 08:27 PM
They've giving up over 100 ppg. Common sense says they run into a team like the Spurs that allow high 80s/low 90s, they won't win that series.

z0sa
03-03-2008, 08:42 PM
The Lakers right now aren't a "bad" defensive team, they're actually a good defensive team. They're just not an elite defensive team like Boston, Spurs, Detroit, Utah and recently the Rockets.

Bynum+Ariza should make the Lakers an elite defensive team again.

First and foremost, individual defenders do not make a team elite defensively. Defense is about the team connecting together. It takes at least a YEAR for a team to become elite defensively, besides the YEARS of players working at it by themselves.

The lakers are nowhere NEAR being an elite defensive team. With bynum and ariza back, they'll be only avg on the defensive side - again, its about the team defense, not individual defenders.

The Lakers are lacking any sort of team defensive scheme from what Ive seen. The middle is soft.

Bob Lanier
03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Ariza is remarkably overrated defensively, like most players traded from the Eastern Conference west. (Remember when Mo Evans was the Lakers' new defensive stopper?)

Allanon
03-03-2008, 10:26 PM
They've giving up over 100 ppg. Common sense says they run into a team like the Spurs that allow high 80s/low 90s, they won't win that series.
Lakers play at a faster pace than the Spurs, that's why they average 107 points while opponents score 100. Spurs score 96 but allow 90. Lakers have a higher point differential than the Spurs.

In fact, the Lakers are #3 in Point differential behind Boston and Detroit.

First and foremost, individual defenders do not make a team elite defensively. Defense is about the team connecting together. It takes at least a YEAR for a team to become elite defensively, besides the YEARS of players working at it by themselves.

The lakers are nowhere NEAR being an elite defensive team. With bynum and ariza back, they'll be only avg on the defensive side - again, its about the team defense, not individual defenders.

The Lakers are lacking any sort of team defensive scheme from what Ive seen. The middle is soft.

The Lakers have been together for over a year for the most part, only Ariza and Pau are the new ones. So they've had time to gel and that's why they were considered one of the best defensive teams in the NBA prior to Ariza and Bynum getting injured.

Ariza is a 6'8" athletic small forward who can guard SF, SG and larger Point guards... perimeter defense is his specialty.

It's no coincidence that the Lakers are currently in the top defensive teams in the league...they've become "softer" in the middle with Pau instead of Bynum but by no means are they soft.

1) Boston
2) Detroit
3) Houston
4) Lakers

They used to be #3.

SenorSpur
03-04-2008, 01:32 AM
in a word - YES

m33p0
03-04-2008, 07:56 AM
"Beware of Greeks bearing gifts."

Bruno
03-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Lakers with Bynum are an average defensive team.

gmartin02
03-04-2008, 09:44 AM

#1 - No one said that the Lakers are currently an "elite" defensive team
#2 - Already acknowledged that they are soft in the middle
#3 - In the original post, I quoted TEAM statistics, not individual statistics
#4 - If they are "only avg" even when two of their best defenders return, why are all the other teams in the league having so many problems shooting against them almost every single game? Give a rebuttal to the team statistics.

hater
03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
No they are not that bad. espceially since Jackson is coach. they will be above average defenders. but not great.

their not so great defense combined with their inexperience is their weak point.

Cry Havoc
03-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Lakers play at a faster pace than the Spurs, that's why they average 107 points while opponents score 100. Spurs score 96 but allow 90. Lakers have a higher point differential than the Spurs.

In fact, the Lakers are #3 in Point differential behind Boston and Detroit.

The Lakers have been together for over a year for the most part, only Ariza and Pau are the new ones. So they've had time to gel and that's why they were considered one of the best defensive teams in the NBA prior to Ariza and Bynum getting injured.

Ariza is a 6'8" athletic small forward who can guard SF, SG and larger Point guards... perimeter defense is his specialty.

It's no coincidence that the Lakers are currently in the top defensive teams in the league...they've become "softer" in the middle with Pau instead of Bynum but by no means are they soft.

1) Boston
2) Detroit
3) Houston
4) Lakers

They used to be #3.

The problem with that analysis is that the playoffs are ALWAYS played at a slower pace than the regular season (unless you're Phoenix). More timeouts, more analysis, more effort put into each game. 2 points that mean diddly... poo... in the regular season suddenly feel massive in the playoffs.

And in that stead, the Lakers will struggle. Their young players will not find the easy outlets that they've had all season when the real powerhouse teams clamp down. Kobe and Bynum will be pretty solid against most teams, but I have to wonder about chemistry and rotational issues. The Jazz were considered a good defensive team last year, but the Spurs lit them up in the playoffs with ease.

This isn't needless Laker hate. I think they're clearly a top 2 team out West. But they could seriously struggle in the playoffs with all that youth on their team.

gmartin02
03-04-2008, 02:07 PM
The problem with that analysis is that the playoffs are ALWAYS played at a slower pace than the regular season (unless you're Phoenix). More timeouts, more analysis, more effort put into each game. 2 points that mean diddly... poo... in the regular season suddenly feel massive in the playoffs.

And in that stead, the Lakers will struggle. Their young players will not find the easy outlets that they've had all season when the real powerhouse teams clamp down. Kobe and Bynum will be pretty solid against most teams, but I have to wonder about chemistry and rotational issues. The Jazz were considered a good defensive team last year, but the Spurs lit them up in the playoffs with ease.

This isn't needless Laker hate. I think they're clearly a top 2 team out West. But they could seriously struggle in the playoffs with all that youth on their team.
I agree about the inexperience - I don't think the Lakers will win the west this year (even though I hope they do) - I think they will be even better next year if Kobe doesn't melt down in the off season and the young guys get a little older and the team has more time together as a unit.

SAGambler
03-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Agree with the above post. Defense isn't something you can turn on when playoffs roll around. Notice during the season, a guy goes in, makes a mistake on defense, and Pop has him on the bench in a New York minute.

Defense is the Spurs dependable baby. They are going to bring it every game. That's why you seldom see triple digits on the scoreboard in a Spurs game.

LakeShow
03-04-2008, 02:50 PM
interesting article on the Subject. Our veterans are not worried about their defense or their young players, so neither am I.

Lakers having to deal with physical play
Coach Phil Jackson hears his team is soft, but that's news to players.
By CURTIS ZUPKE
The Orange County Register

EL SEGUNDO -- Everybody seems to be giving the Lakers their best shot these days — literally.

Derek Fisher got whacked upside the head by Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, and Kobe Bryant was practically tackled by Erick Dampier on Sunday. Opponents seem to be playing the Lakers more physically these days, and Coach Phil Jackson thinks he knows why.

"There was some comment after the Portland game that the way they were physical with us was distracting our players," Jackson said. "They thought our players were wusses and they weren't going to be able to stand up and take a physical game.

"The challenge was sent out to our players. We talked about having to play the kind of game where the referees are not going to make a call. They have to let the physical nature of the game take its course, and you have to play through it."

Jackson's words were news to Fisher, who said the only talk he has heard from players around the league is that his team might win the NBA title.

"I think that's Phil putting his thoughts out there," Fisher said. "You can't argue with his track record, so to speak. He's been able to put his teams together physically and mentally in ways that they're able to withstand for the long haul and come out on top. We feel we have a real chance regardless of what people think."

TOO MUCH HYPE?

Is it realistic to expect an NBA title from a team with little playoff experience outside of Bryant and Fisher?

The buzz got even louder after the victory over Dallas as major media pundits practically rubber-stamped the Lakers as the team to beat.

Co-captains Bryant and Fisher aren't worried about their younger teammates thinking ahead.

"We've been able to build momentum after the All-Star break because our entire team has an uncanny ability to forget about yesterday and not stress over tomorrow," Fisher said. "I think that's been the mark of our team.

"We've responded well. We've won games in all sorts of situations — front ends, back-to-backs, fifth game in seven nights — whatever we've been asked to do, we've figured out a way to do it."

Bryant and Fisher are the only players remaining from the last championship team. Luke Walton was on the 2003-04 Finals team, but no other Lakers player has made it out of the second round.

"The only thing I'm concerned about is us as a team," Bryant said. "I'm not worried at all."

NOTES

Vladimir Radmanovic (calf) will probably dress tonight but is questionable. …

Bryant was voted Western Conference player of the month. He averaged 27.2 points, 5.9 assists, 2.1 steals and shot 50.7 percent from the field in February. …

Fisher on playing Sacramento for the first time this season: "Going back to Sacramento without the Lakers for a few years, I was still getting booed. So I can't imagine how they're going to feel when I show up tomorrow with the purple-and-gold on again. We expect an emotional game, a hard-fought game."

stretch
03-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Derek Fisher got whacked upside the head by Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, and Kobe Bryant was practically tackled by Erick Dampier on Sunday.
Bull-fucking-shit.

The Dirk foul was barely a hit, and completely unintentional. He went to grab Fisher, and Derek moved akwardly, causing Dirk's hand to come across his head a bit.

And the Damp foul was weak as fuck. Not bad at all.

Cry Havoc
03-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Bull-fucking-shit.

The Dirk foul was barely a hit, and completely unintentional. He went to grab Fisher, and Derek moved akwardly, causing Dirk's hand to come across his head a bit.

Besides, since when does being on the receiving end of a bitch slap make you tough? :lol

BLACKMAMBA24
03-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Was Dampier playing flag football?We(us) won,you can put me at center at 5'9 and it won't matter KB24 will decide the game..You heard him at the time out against Dallas."we ain't losing tonight".It's the queens turn.

DazedAndConfused
03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
FG% Allowed + Rebounding Differential = Defense.

Points-Allowed Per-Game doesn't matter nearly as much because it has
to do is heavily influenced by possessions/game... which of course is
heavily influenced by tempo.

21_Blessings
03-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Bull-fucking-shit.

It was dirty. Just like the AK clothesline was dirty.

Dirk is a mentally weak dirty piece of european trash.

21_Blessings
03-05-2008, 08:02 AM

You're really really dumb

batboy
03-05-2008, 08:07 AM
The Suns have just set the bar so high now that using the word "bad" to describe any other team's defense is just silly.

cash459
03-08-2008, 12:38 PM
It was dirty. Just like the AK clothesline was dirty.

Dirk is a mentally weak dirty piece of european trash.

so what was it last year, when "no means no" kobe was clotheslining people with his off hand, saying it "was part of his follow through on his shot"!?!?

you truly are a moron with no basketball intelligence

21_Blessings
03-08-2008, 12:46 PM
so what was it last year, when "no means no" kobe was clotheslining people with his off hand, saying it "was part of his follow through on his shot"!?!?

you truly are a moron with no basketball intelligence

This is hilarious coming from a Spurs fan when Bowen is one of the dirtiest player in the entire NBA and everybody knows it.

manufor3
03-08-2008, 12:47 PM
yes

Purple & Gold
03-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Lakers defense will blow da fuck up when Bynum returns. Get used to it rest of the NBA. :elephant :elephant