PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't Dirk thrown out?

50 cent
03-03-2008, 11:22 PM
He got a Flagrant #1 on the AK47 foul and now just got a technical for complaining to the refs.

Doesn't a F1 result in being assessed 1 technical foul?

If so, this T just now was his 2nd.

FromWayDowntown
03-03-2008, 11:27 PM
He got a Flagrant #1 on the AK47 foul and now just got a technical for complaining to the refs.

Two entirely different penalties. There is no technical for a flagrant foul. There is just a flagrant foul. Two flagrant points (two Flagrant 1's or one flagrant 2) and you're gone; two technicals and you're gone.

RashoFan
03-03-2008, 11:28 PM
_irk should be Auffed....

Beno Udrih
03-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Damn just saw the replay...Dirk is a fucking pussy.

Solid D
03-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Come on Dirk, 1945 was a long time ago. Dude, you gotta let that German/Russian thing go.

50 cent
03-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Two entirely different penalties. There is no technical for a flagrant foul. There is just a flagrant foul. Two flagrant points (two Flagrant 1's or one flagrant 2) and you're gone; two technicals and you're gone.
Ok...thanks. For some reason, I thought a F1 counted as 1 technical.

mavsfan1000
03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
It was unintenional. Kirilenko was holding on to Dirk to Dirk's surprise. Dirk swung his arm around and bang.

dav4463
03-03-2008, 11:44 PM
It was unintenional. Kirilenko was holding on to Dirk to Dirk's surprise. Dirk swung his arm around and bang.

Are you kidding! What the hell were you watching?......a different game perhaps? :lol

I know he wasn't wanting to hurt him, but that had to be painful.....and definitely had to be called a flagrant foul.

spursrocksocks
03-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Yeah I dont think it was intentional

SAtown
03-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Come on Dirk, 1945 was a long time ago. Dude, you gotta let that German/Russian thing go.

:lmao

Trainwreck2100
03-03-2008, 11:47 PM

Ende the same way too.

dg7md
03-03-2008, 11:58 PM
It was unintentional... Dirk really isn't an angry player on the court, I don't see why Spurs fans hate him, he's probably the most likable of all the Mavs that is for sure.

mrsmaalox
03-04-2008, 12:01 AM
It was unintentional... Dirk really isn't an angry player on the court, I don't see why Spurs fans hate him, he's probably the most likable of all the Mavs that is for sure.
I'm inclined to agree, but I still don't like him! :lol

Solid D
03-04-2008, 12:03 AM

As a Spurs fan, I always love it when Dirk goes up and goal tends a (dead-ball shot) that is taken after the play has been blown dead. It's in the spirit of good sportsmanship and makes me want to just hug the guy.

Kori Ellis
03-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Dirk is pretty likable when he's not flailing. When he's flailing, I can't stand him.

Holt's Cat
03-04-2008, 12:05 AM

Stop watching games in Cubanvision.

ducks
03-04-2008, 12:07 AM
stern could mess with cuban and suspen him for him sending all those tapes in

oboymeetsogirl
03-04-2008, 12:07 AM
No, I think Dirk is to be respected. He certainly respects each and every one of the Spurs and the spurs organization. This is high praise, coming from one of the hardest working players in the league (his physical and practice regimes are legendary). Be as it may, Nowitzki is probably the last person in the NBA who would deliberately try to hurt another player out of frustration or anger. Like Timmy, by nature he has as much self control as anyone has ever had.

Solid D
03-04-2008, 12:08 AM

:lol

(He had ahold of the ball with both hands almost all the way to the floor.)

dg7md
03-04-2008, 12:09 AM
As a Spurs fan, I always love it when Dirk goes up and goal tends a (dead-ball shot) that is taken after the play has been blown dead. It's in the spirit of good sportsmanship and makes me want to just hug the guy.

Oh please, like every NBA player doesn't do that. :dramaquee

Player mentality, it's not done for anything really. That isn't what I look for in good sportsmanship. You've got to look for people who accept personal fouls against them, respect of opponents, don't start fights and not gloat when it comes to good sportsmanship.

YODA
03-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Dirk is pretty likable when he's not flailing. When he's flailing, I can't stand him.

Speaking of flailing, I was talking to a friend in Houston who was telling me how much he hates Manu. Im like,,,how come? he would say, " man that idiot just flops and gets calls all the time, even 3 feet front from him." No matter my arguement, he would just repeat this same thing. I was amazed how much hate he had for Manu. I guess thats what Mav fans get from Dirk.

Holt's Cat
03-04-2008, 12:11 AM
No NBA bigman has gone down quicker after being touched by another man. And that probably includes John Amaechi.

Solid D
03-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Kirilenko doesn't exactly have much padding on his body, anyways. Dirk may as well have been slinging Lara Flynn Boyle down onto the hardwood.

Cry Havoc
03-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Anyone have a vid of the foul?

SAtown
03-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Anyone have a vid of the foul?

5Ce2xaOPdDA

mFFL03
03-04-2008, 12:32 AM
they say he's too soft.....then they say he's too dirty.....people don't want to like him either way

Holt's Cat
03-04-2008, 12:34 AM
they say he's too soft.....then they say he's too dirty.....people don't want to like him either way

Basically.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-04-2008, 12:35 AM
:lol @ lara flynn boyole comment

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-04-2008, 12:48 AM
If it was against the Spurs... Dirk woulda been shooting free throws

greens
03-04-2008, 12:50 AM
I don't think Dirk is dirty...he did check up on AK after he shot his FTs...

His Mav teammates on the other hand, especially Jason Terry, are another story.

SAtown
03-04-2008, 12:51 AM
I don't think Dirk is dirty...he did check up on AK after he shot his FTs...

You mean, he went to the hospital?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-04-2008, 12:59 AM
If it was against the Spurs... Dirk woulda been shooting free throws
:lol too true

anyway, I don't think Dirk was trying to be dirty. He just slammed him too hard. (Maybe it was general frustration coming out of him over a certain trade :lol)

Fabbs
03-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Irregardless if Dirk "checked on him afterwords" and "didn't mean to injure him" it's still a reckless cheapassed play. If you're burned that badly on D, just give it up.
Frustration foul imo.

Cry Havoc
03-04-2008, 01:12 AM
Holy damn that was a hard foul.

If Bowen had done that to Dirk, Mavs fans would be calling for a 10 game suspension.

Cry Havoc
03-04-2008, 01:13 AM

Welcome to the world of the Spurs.

san antonio spurs
03-04-2008, 01:19 AM
No NBA bigman has gone down quicker after being touched by another man. And that probably includes John Amaechi.
I respectfully disagree.
I like and defend our spurs but this is just too funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukde193ivM&feature=related

Fabbs
03-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Replays do show that Dirk intended to chop down on AKs arm, not his neck.
Dirk got spun around as he was attempting to mount AK from the backside.

Wait that sounded too brokerback. Dirk got faked out by AKs pumpfake, Dirk went airborn then as AK jumped up to shoot it spun Glykendahl i mean Dirk around. So i do agree Dirk did not intend to clothesine AK.

K-State Spur
03-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Dirk really isn't an angry player on the court

People with German heritage are angry at all times. We get pissed off petting a puppy.

Budkin
03-04-2008, 01:34 AM

He's just got all the qualities of a total loser. An all around choke artist who whines and flails like a little girl who just got told she couldn't get a new Barbie at Toys R Us.

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Dirk = total brick , or total swish. one of the two, not many rattled in .

m33p0
03-04-2008, 07:09 AM
it really doesn't mean alot. i'm not even sure it's a compliment. it's like saying someone is the tallest of all the short people or the sanest amongst all in the asylum.

travis2
03-04-2008, 07:37 AM

oh damn...:lmao

Taco
03-04-2008, 08:41 AM
5Ce2xaOPdDA

I wonder if Cuban will send this tape to the league office for review :rolleyes

sribb43
03-04-2008, 08:49 AM

eventually he going to sprain his ankle doing that....i can see it now

hater
03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
oh come on spurs fans!!! stop being hypocrites

I gotta side with Dallas fans. AK47 is a skinny dude, Dirk did not mean to hurt his vagina.

I have sen AK47 flop and fly 3 meters when he just gets bumped.

it's about time dirk starts playing like a 7 footer.

Solid D
03-04-2008, 10:01 AM
FWIW, I was doing a little chain-pulling for my part in this thread.

JohnnySixString
03-04-2008, 10:17 AM
People with German heritage are angry at all times. We get pissed off petting a puppy.

:lmao :lmao

1Parker1
03-04-2008, 10:20 AM

:lol Yea, but Manu does the same thing...

I do agree, Dirk's the most likeable guy on the Mavs. And I don't think that foul was intentional either.

Cherry
03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
:lol too true

anyway, I don't think Dirk was trying to be dirty. He just slammed him too hard. (Maybe it was general frustration coming out of him over a certain trade :lol)

looking at the score: Dal 6 Jazz 21 i think Dirk was trying to be more aggressive.

LEONARD
03-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Poor Dirk...

Most consider him a soft pussy...

and when commits are hard/borderline foul, he's considered a cheap pussy...

That's just the way it goes...people love to hate him...don't give him credit for what he does do well...over-state what he doesn't do well. It's comical, especially around here...

learn the rules maybe??

ambchang
03-04-2008, 11:01 AM
:LOL @ mavsfan1000.

It was unintentional, but to lay the blame on Kirilenko for holding onto Dirk is just ridirkulous.

Herschel Walker
03-04-2008, 11:18 AM
I always thought that should be a tech. No reason to do it other than being an ass.

ancestron
03-04-2008, 11:33 AM
I always thought that should be a tech. No reason to do it other than being an ass.

It is retarded and I hate Dirk as much as anyone but it does send a message. The spurs do the same thing sometimes.
As a shooter every chance you get to see the ball fall through the net helps your aim.
As a defender its just a way of saying no free looks on this goal.

703 Spurz
03-04-2008, 11:50 AM

As if you really know if it was intentional or not, fuckass :lol

cash459
03-04-2008, 11:59 AM

it has to do with being a mental thing. When a shooter is missing shots, and shoots a ball after the whistle is blown, its like getting a free practice shot...why let the shooter see one go in...make him think that he cant hit the broad side of a barn and continue to struggle....

its not a big deal....it doesnt affect anyone...let it go....

Taco
03-04-2008, 12:40 PM
I gotta side with Dallas fans. AK47 is a skinny dude, Dirk did not mean to hurt his vagina.

I have sen AK47 flop and fly 3 meters when he just gets bumped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUJW_8KzzZc

TampaDude
03-04-2008, 01:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUJW_8KzzZc

Yeah, I remember that one...he slid almost to half court! :lmao

JamStone
03-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I played in a city league with a bunch of former college players (not D-1, just a bunch of D-3 type quality players, but the competition better than just a regular rec league) where a hit like that wouldn't even be called flagrant. It would just be a regular two shot foul. Mavs were getting pasted and Dirk was making sure the shot wouldn't have any chance to go in. I don't think it was malicious or with intent to hurt.

Million dollar contracts has made the NBA soft.

Heck, in the 80s, that wouldn't be flagrant either. The entire NBA has gone pussy. Dirk is just one player in a pussy league.

TampaDude
03-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Here's some more classic flops...

Robert Horry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukde193ivM

Raja Bell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNN9ZiH38fs

Greg Paulus (Duke): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0upQDkY-pg

TampaDude
03-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I played in a city league with a bunch of former college players (not D-1, just a bunch of D-3 type quality players, but the competition better than just a regular rec league) where a hit like that wouldn't even be called flagrant. It would just be a regular two shot foul. Mavs were getting pasted and Dirk was making sure the shot wouldn't have any chance to go in. I don't think it was malicious or with intent to hurt.

Million dollar contracts has made the NBA soft.

Heck, in the 80s, that wouldn't be flagrant either. The entire NBA has gone pussy. Dirk is just one player in a pussy league.

No autopsy, no foul! :lol

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
03-04-2008, 06:05 PM
If Bowen did this, there would be a mob asking for Bruce's head.

However, I don't think the foul was that hard. Kirilenko simply didn't expect it, since Nowitzki was behind him, and couldn't see him. So when he got fouled, he was caught by surprise and couldn't put his hands or fall on his side.

GSH
03-05-2008, 12:09 AM
The definition for Flagrant 1 is contact that is unnecessary. The definition for Flagrant 2 is contact that is unnecessary and excessive.

Regardless of what you think Dirk's intention was when he swung his arm, he failed to let go - and that action threw AK to the floor. That continued action, pulling a player to the floor, will almost always be called a Flagrant 2. It doesn't matter what the original intention was... the end of that play was intentional on Dirk's part. He could have let go, and I would say that even if it was a Spur player. Once a player is in the air like that, he is vulnerable. Pulling or throwing him to the floor can result in serious injury, and that's what happened this time. The flagrant rules are there to punish and discourage that specific thing.

If Dirk had just brought his arm across Kirilinko, he wouldn't have gotten hurt. I will be totally surprised if the league doesn't review that play and hand down a fine or suspension.

If Bowen did this, there would be a mob asking for Bruce's head.

Truer words were never spoken. It would be that much more "proof" that Bowen is a dirty player.

GSH
03-05-2008, 09:56 PM
The definition for Flagrant 1 is contact that is unnecessary. The definition for Flagrant 2 is contact that is unnecessary and excessive.

Regardless of what you think Dirk's intention was when he swung his arm, he failed to let go - and that action threw AK to the floor. That continued action, pulling a player to the floor, will almost always be called a Flagrant 2. It doesn't matter what the original intention was... the end of that play was intentional on Dirk's part. He could have let go, and I would say that even if it was a Spur player. Once a player is in the air like that, he is vulnerable. Pulling or throwing him to the floor can result in serious injury, and that's what happened this time. The flagrant rules are there to punish and discourage that specific thing.

If Dirk had just brought his arm across Kirilinko, he wouldn't have gotten hurt. I will be totally surprised if the league doesn't review that play and hand down a fine or suspension.

Told you.

sheriee84
03-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Dirk has been suspended for thier next game against the Rockets according to
http://www.nba.com//news/nowitzki_suspended_080305.html (http://www.nba.com//news/nowitzki_suspended_080305.html) and his F1 was upgraded to an F2

Tike Mailer
03-05-2008, 11:28 PM
This is a conspiracy against Mark Cuban. That's all it is! Admit it, losers.