PDA

View Full Version : Major Dilemma

stretch
03-04-2008, 12:04 PM
I work at a Credit Union right now. Hours are 8-5, Monday through Friday, and I work in downtown with a nice view. Plus we are right by the AAC, so I can basically have free parking garage access when I go to Mavs games. I don't realy do a lot, but I make about $1600 a month after taxes. There is room for growth, but not until I have been there for like 10 years, but in about 10 years or so, I can make like close to 6 figures, while still not doing a whole lot. I post on spurstalk for the majority of my time.

I'm getting offered another job at Texaslending.com. I will make about $3000 a month after taxes there, but will be working quite a bit harder through the day. Hours are 8-5 as well, but sometimes I may need to work later, as well as the potential for 1 saturday a month, depending on how much work I get done. I also have room to grow quite quickly there too and make a shit load of money within 2 years (I'm talking like 6 figures with only a decent amount of effort, and I'm only 20 right now). However, I won't have nearly as much time to post on spurstalk.

So let's sum up what the dilemma is...

Basically, $1600 a month to post on Spurstalk for 8 hours.

or...

A little over $3000 a month to work my ass off for 8 hours, and likely more at times and hardly post on Spurstalk at all.

The key link is posting or not posting on spurstalk.

What seems like the better deal?

mrsmaalox
03-04-2008, 12:06 PM
The better deal for you? Or us? :lol

sa_butta
03-04-2008, 12:11 PM
What is more important to you?? Making more money or more free time??

stretch
03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
What is more important to you?? Making more money or more free time??
I don't know. The lazy side of me says more time.

The smart side of me says more money.

monosylab1k
03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
fuck texas lending.

stretch
03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
:lol

florige
03-04-2008, 12:43 PM
I guess it matters how much the money means to you at this period in time. If you don't have many bills and money isn't much of an issue then stay. But if you like in my case have bills up the wazoo then take the cash with the workload. I remember when I first started working at 18, I could really care less about the pay, the only thing I was concerned about was having my weekends and evenings off so I could still make happy hour.... :lol

easjer
03-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Money is more important to me. For awhile I thought lazy was good, but when that wore off I got bored, and frustrated by the lack of challenge and no potential for growth. Moving into a field that gave me a 25% raise with a guaranteed promotion in 2 years to higher pay grade (and another substantial raise) and then about 5 different career paths (all of which are higher pay grades than my promotion grade) to choose from and more marketable abilities are so very much worth the extra work and sharp learning curve I'm dealing with now.

Nearly double the money? No question for me.

florige
03-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Money is more important to me. For awhile I thought lazy was good, but when that wore off I got bored, and frustrated by the lack of challenge and no potential for growth. Moving into a field that gave me a 25% raise with a guaranteed promotion in 2 years to higher pay grade (and another substantial raise) and then about 5 different career paths (all of which are higher pay grades than my promotion grade) to choose from and more marketable abilities are so very much worth the extra work and sharp learning curve I'm dealing with now.

Nearly double the money? No question for me.

He's gotta point, bringing home double then what you currently make is alot to pass up.

easjer
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
She's gotta point, bringing home double then what you currently make is alot to pass up.

;)

j-6
03-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I work at a Credit Union right now. Hours are 8-5, Monday through Friday, and I work in downtown with a nice view. Plus we are right by the AAC, so I can basically have free parking garage access when I go to Mavs games. I don't realy do a lot, but I make about $1600 a month after taxes. There is room for growth, but not until I have been there for like 10 years, but in about 10 years or so, I can make like close to 6 figures, while still not doing a whole lot. I post on spurstalk for the majority of my time.

I'm getting offered another job at Texaslending.com. I will make about $3000 a month after taxes there, but will be working quite a bit harder through the day. Hours are 8-5 as well, but sometimes I may need to work later, as well as the potential for 1 saturday a month, depending on how much work I get done. I also have room to grow quite quickly there too and make a shit load of money within 2 years (I'm talking like 6 figures with only a decent amount of effort, and I'm only 20 right now). However, I won't have nearly as much time to post on spurstalk.

So let's sum up what the dilemma is...

Basically, $1600 a month to post on Spurstalk for 8 hours.

or...

A little over $3000 a month to work my ass off for 8 hours, and likely more at times and hardly post on Spurstalk at all.

The key link is posting or not posting on spurstalk.

What seems like the better deal?

Do you really want to get into the mortgage loan business right now? Especially if that position isn't guaranteed money - you're going to have to hustle clients for it? Know anything about cold calling? Go look at all the people leaving Countrywide and Ameriquest right in your backyard.

At 20, I'd keep my slapdick credit union job and maybe do University of Phoenix courses instead of message board posting. Just my opinion, chief.

sa_butta
03-04-2008, 01:22 PM
whats the dilema??
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88679

Get out of there.

florige
03-04-2008, 01:33 PM
;)

I thought about that while I was typing. Sorry easjer.... :p:

Shelly
03-04-2008, 02:05 PM
The better deal for you? Or us? :lol

:rollin

mexicanjunior
03-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Take the money dude...

robino2001
03-04-2008, 03:09 PM
I have family that work at texas lending... one was under investigation for fraud and then committed suicide.... the others have been miserable working there. That's all I know though, they don't talk to the rest of the family much but from what I understand there is a lot of corruption.

ATRAIN
03-04-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't see a dilemma making a little less than 20 a year but having more time to post on a internet board, or making around 36 a year with less free time at work. 16 extra a year, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like an easy decision for me.

ATRAIN
03-04-2008, 03:24 PM
I have family that work at texas lending... one was under investigation for fraud and then committed suicide.... the others have been miserable working there. That's all I know though, they don't talk to the rest of the family much but from what I understand there is a lot of corruption.

There you go Stretch take the job

Twisted_Dawg
03-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Only taking home $1600 per month???

How do you ever expect to find a woman to marry and have two car payments, a big mortgage, and several credit card bills with only $1600 month to pay for all that?

Take the increased pay, pressure, hours, bullshit......its the American way!

stretch
03-04-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't see a dilemma making a little less than 20 a year but having more time to post on a internet board, or making around 36 a year with less free time at work. 16 extra a year, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like an easy decision for me.
well there is more that goes into it. ive heard plenty of reports as robino and j-6 said, about people having lots of stress at that job, and the insecurity of the world of home loans. i have a good job. im not making a ton, but at the same time, i dont need a ton, and have room for growth, as they wish to move me to the IT department soon.

and actually, im making more money on the side as I am also a travel agent. in fact, i should probably let people on this site know about it, as i can cut good deals for people i know, and also sell tickets for concerts, games, etc... people here can find the best deal they see, show me, and i will match or even give them a better deal. I should PM Kori about it, see if she will allow me to post some threads about it or something...

CuckingFunt
03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I would say that if you enjoy what you're doing now, you should stick with it because being happy at work is a rarity.

However, I would also suggest that perhaps job happiness/satisfaction shouldn't be determined by how much you get to fuck off and not work.

stretch
03-04-2008, 03:47 PM
However, I would also suggest that perhaps job happiness/satisfaction shouldn't be determined by how much you get to fuck off and not work.

The not working part was just a joke. I really do enjoy my job. It's not a huge company, but its real cool, growing fast, and doing very well. I know pretty much every employee and am cool with them all, including the CEO who is the brother of a good friend of mine that works here as well. The atmosphere is light, and people here have a lot of fun, but also get their work done, and get along quite well for the most part.

Thunder Dan
03-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Ok I have the best plan for you and your future.

1) Take the job that pays $3000 a month and post on ST when you get home
2) live like you currently are (like you make $1600)
3)invest $1400 a month
4) retire when you are 40 something and post on here all day

stretch
03-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Ok I have the best plan for you and your future.

1) Take the job that pays $3000 a month and post on ST when you get home
2) live like you currently are (like you make $1600)
3)invest $1400 a month
4) retire when you are 40 something and post on here all day
:lol

Good idea.

florige
03-04-2008, 04:03 PM

How to you ever expect to find a woman to marry and have two car payments, a big mortgage, and several credit card bills with only $1600 month to pay for all that?

How about the woman he marries has a job too to help pay for all that crap.

Thunder Dan
03-04-2008, 04:05 PM

How to you ever expect to find a woman to marry and have two car payments, a big mortgage, and several credit card bills with only $1600 month to pay for all that?

:toast

stretch
03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
How about the woman he marries has a job too to help pay for all that crap.
plus im not going to make that much for the rest of my life. lol

Thunder Dan
03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
not to sound cheesy, but life isn't all about money. If you like your current situation there is nothing wrong with staying there. For some reason we feel we have to think that success and happiness only come with money and things. Just do whatever it is you don't mind doing

florige
03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
not to sound cheesy, but life isn't all about money. If you like your current situation there is nothing wrong with staying there. For some reason we feel we have to think that success and happiness only come with money and things. Just do whatever it is you don't mind doing

Good Point TD!

stretch
03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I agree completely, which is why I'm really leaning toward staying.

Thunder Dan
03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I took more money to move closer to home (lived in Chicago, moved to right outside Cleveland where I grew up) and I really kick myself everyday. I loved Chicago and although I hated my job, I'm sure I could find something I enjoyed. I make decent money now, but buying the things I wanted didn't replace the things I loved about being in a big city.

stretch
03-04-2008, 04:40 PM
I took more money to move closer to home (lived in Chicago, moved to right outside Cleveland where I grew up) and I really kick myself everyday. I loved Chicago and although I hated my job, I'm sure I could find something I enjoyed. I make decent money now, but buying the things I wanted didn't replace the things I loved about being in a big city.
Wow

easjer
03-04-2008, 05:46 PM
well there is more that goes into it. ive heard plenty of reports as robino and j-6 said, about people having lots of stress at that job, and the insecurity of the world of home loans.

Ok, now those are good reasons to stop and consider for a bit.

If you like your job and your long-term potential for growth and future prospects, then stay where you are.

If you are concerned that those prospects may not materialize or that you are not building the skills you need to get a better job - then go, go, go.

Medvedenko
03-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Go back to school.

DannyT
03-04-2008, 07:54 PM
if thats your major dilemma then you have nothing to worry about

to21
03-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Fuck that, make that money!

Haven't you heard people who work hard get to play hard? I'm not talking about busting your ass, I mean taking on more responsibility, more to do at work.

Then your major dilemma will be taking out your wallet from your back pocket because it hurts your ass to sit on that fat bitch.

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2008, 06:37 PM
nice job man

i tried applyin for credit controller positions :( keep on gettin rejected

all you do is fukn chase up debtors only, how hard can it be

katyon6th
03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Do you really want to get into the mortgage loan business right now? Especially if that position isn't guaranteed money - you're going to have to hustle clients for it? Know anything about cold calling? Go look at all the people leaving Countrywide and Ameriquest right in your backyard.

At 20, I'd keep my slapdick credit union job and maybe do University of Phoenix courses instead of message board posting. Just my opinion, chief.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I just wanted to let you know that.

bendmz
03-05-2008, 10:07 PM
shit don't go away mad, JUST GO THE FUCK AWAY........

Avitus1
03-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I say take the money and run.

mrsmaalox
03-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Cleveland not big enuff for ya?! Where do you live? My mom's family is in Elyria/Lorain area.

Heath Ledger
03-06-2008, 02:35 AM
If you even have to ask this question you are an unmotivated tool. Why not be a real ass and quit your job and work part time at McDonalds, you will have plenty more time to post on spurstalks as well as get all the free food you can steal.

Heath Ledger
03-06-2008, 02:42 AM
$1600 a month? I spend that much on gas for my S.U.V.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-06-2008, 07:38 AM
On the Thunder Dan riff, do whatever makes you happiest! If staying where you are makes you happy, do it, if you really want the money, do the other.

Having said that, I like that you're not just grabbing the money, because money sure ain't everything. I've discovered over the last few years that lifestyle and peace of mind is far more important than money.

Oh, one other thing - get more education, as much as you can doing what you want to do. That will lead you to the money and the career satisfaction.

stretch
03-06-2008, 09:10 AM
On the Thunder Dan riff, do whatever makes you happiest! If staying where you are makes you happy, do it, if you really want the money, do the other.

Having said that, I like that you're not just grabbing the money, because money sure ain't everything. I've discovered over the last few years that lifestyle and peace of mind is far more important than money.

Oh, one other thing - get more education, as much as you can doing what you want to do. That will lead you to the money and the career satisfaction.
Yup. Ultimately, I want to work at home, and be a web designer. I will be taking classes for that here soon. I'm really using this company right now more as a stepping stone for my ultimate career goal, but I also have an open mind, and if things go real well here too, I don't mind staying one bit. A stress-free job where I'm happy is a nice, but rare thing to find.