PDA

View Full Version : Will Gas prices ever go down?

Denver>SA
03-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Or will they just continue to rise?

I mean, filling up at 3.09 today was horrible.
And I fear it will only get worse.

When will enough be enough?
How high is high enough?

I been riding Via for about 2 years half the time. Maybe I will start riding it full time.

TDMVPDPOY
03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Well there was a news article today in australia, that prices could be at $3 a litre in the future 12-18months...fok that

Denver>SA
03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Well there was a news article today in australia, that prices could be at $3 a litre in the future 12-18months...fok that
3 gallons = 1 liter

so.......that would be 1 dollar per gallon?????

T Park
03-04-2008, 09:43 PM
as long as were not allowed to drill for our own oil, then it will get higher and higher.

midgetonadonkey
03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
As long as oil companies are allowed to raise oil prices while recording record profits they will continue to rise.

midgetonadonkey
03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Too bad we can't spend the same amount on researching alternate fuel sources that we do on this pointless war.

katyon6th
03-04-2008, 10:19 PM
I think I'm going to get a motorcycle.

Hank the Tank
03-04-2008, 10:20 PM
$3.21 in my area. lucky i get around 30 mpg.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Oh, for fucksake, get used to it.

Petrol has been artificially cheap throughout it's entire history - not only is oil a non-renewable resource, but not one cent of what you pay for it accounts for the environmental damage it does.

Current world oil supply is around 85,000,000 barrels/day (take a moment to consider that!), demand has been exceeding supply due to the hot global economy, thus forcing the price up. Add to this the fact that no new supergiant oilfields have been discovered since the 1970s (the 14bil barrels in Brazil discovered recently equates to about 165days of world supply), and that most of the world's large oilfield are at or close to peak supply, and you can see that over the medium term oil prices will increase significantly, and over the long term (50yrs) THERE WILL BE NO MORE OIL.

The world should be adjusting to a future without oil starting now, but no-one seems to get that. If we don't start chipping away at this problem very soon the current economic crash will seem like a blip when oil supply really starts to tighten.

Pistons < Spurs
03-04-2008, 10:25 PM
3.19 here.

And I just recently read an article that said we'll likely see 4$ this summer.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Too bad we can't spend the same amount on researching alternate fuel sources that we do on this pointless war.

Smartest thing I've ever seen you say.

Imagine what pumping $200bil/yr into alternative energy research would do...

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-04-2008, 10:36 PM
As long as oil companies are allowed to raise oil prices while recording record profits they will continue to rise.

As long as liberals tie up new refinery construction for up to 10 years a pop in court, they will continue to rise.

I don't hear Democrats preaching alternative energy, just wanting to tax the oil companies more, who will in turn pass it on to you and me. In short, a stupid ass fucking idea.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I blame inflation and sinking value of the dollar I saidd IS SAIAIAIADDD

midgetonadonkey
03-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Smartest thing I've ever seen you say.

Are you sure about that? I've said some pretty genius stuff.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-04-2008, 10:43 PM
3 gallons = 1 liter

so.......that would be 1 dollar per gallon?????

Close. $3/liter is roughly $12/gallon.

I'd guess that the rest of the world pays, on average, $6-7/gallon now.

boutons_
03-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Demand in US for transport fuel took a big drop recently, indicating there is elasticity in demand. Taxes should force up the price of gasoline and diesel to force demand down, making alternative more attractive, and providing funds for research.

corn-ethanol is total bullshit, just another dubya disaster, "taxing" everybody's steeply rising food costs, on which you spend much more than on gasoline.

midgetonadonkey
03-04-2008, 10:45 PM
I want a car that runs on my own piss.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-04-2008, 10:53 PM
In Oz we are paying $1.20-1.40/L. In The UK it's closer to $2/L. Don't know about the rest of Europe.

Why people buy 5L V8s to sit in traffic jams will never make sense to me. If the whole world committed to only allowing small vehicles (bikes, motorbikes, cars with engines less than 1500cc) for personal use (larger vehicles would be acceptable for work purposes) in cities, combined with better public transport networks, the demand for oil would drop drastically. That would slow the rate of pollution and resource depletion, giving scientists and policy makers more time to find real solutions to these problems... but no, let's all drive SUVs.

CuckingFunt
03-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Firstly, $3.09/gallon would make me jump up and down for joy here in California.

Secondly, the answer is not building more refineries and further raping the earth so's we can all drive SUVs. The answer is in making a concerted effort to research and develop alternate fuel technologies so that we can stop being so dependent on a resource that cannot possibly keep up with our consumption.

TDMVPDPOY
03-04-2008, 11:19 PM
also dont forget the depreciation of a US DOLLAR doesnt do shit when buyin barrels, cose fuel companies would just increase the prices at the station just to make up for it.

T Park
03-04-2008, 11:28 PM

Never heard of the old Supply and demand?

You failed out of school so Im sure you don't know that..

Das Texan
03-04-2008, 11:35 PM

ya but thats not nearly the only answer.

if there were alternatives to gasoline or gasoline based products to fuel autos, then this is a bigger issue.

Its not. There is no alternative for the consumer.

However, I digress. Gas isnt going down, at least not for any significant period of time by any significant amount. Its as simple as that.

We are paying for our own sins now, we can thank Detroit and Big Oil for that largely.

An entire shift in our consumer and societal culture is the only way to change things and end the dependence on oil.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-04-2008, 11:37 PM
corn-ethanol is total bullshit, just another dubya disaster, "taxing" everybody's steeply rising food costs, on which you spend much more than on gasoline.

The libs have been the driving force for ethanol in Congress (particularly with that bill they passed back in December that mandated the six or seven fold increase in the use of ethanol or whatever obscene increase it was), shove your W. hate up your ass, you partisan little fuck.

I don't know if you have blinders on or are just that much of a liberal hack, but Pelosi drove the bus on that bill back in December, don't even try and hang it on W. Everyone in Congress on both sides of the aisle got some kickbacks out of that bill's passage, if you are going to call out Bush you best call out your liberal brethren in D.C., and both presidential candidates for your party as well (who voiced their support for the bill).

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-04-2008, 11:47 PM
ya but thats not nearly the only answer.

if there were alternatives to gasoline or gasoline based products to fuel autos, then this is a bigger issue.

Its not. There is no alternative for the consumer.

However, I digress. Gas isnt going down, at least not for any significant period of time by any significant amount. Its as simple as that.

We are paying for our own sins now, we can thank Detroit and Big Oil for that largely.

An entire shift in our consumer and societal culture is the only way to change things and end the dependence on oil.

I thought you'd missed the point entirely by saying that there are no alternatives, but you didn't you hit it on the head with your last comment. We have to realise that oil is NOT a right we are born with. We have to change the way we live, and develop alternative transport technologies.* We have to do the same with electricity, the majority of which worldwide is coal-generated. We all take cheap energy for granted because we grew up with it, but energy has an economic and environmental cost. Time to wake up to that.

*corn-derived ethanol is a disaster - it is causing rising global corn prices as corn-for-fuel competes with corn-for-feed. At the end of the day, it is only a tokenistic response to the prolem. More promising would be using bagasse (sugar crop waste) and other crop wastes to generate ethanol. Either way, you'd need the entire arable land (ie. all the current food-cropping land) of 4 USAs to make enough ethanol to replace current US demand for transport fuel. it is a very small piece of a very large and complex puzzle.

E20
03-04-2008, 11:56 PM
You guys have it pretty easy. It's around 3.50 for regular unleaded in California. I would love it to be at the 3.09's.

sabar
03-05-2008, 12:14 AM
I thought you'd missed the point entirely by saying that there are no alternatives, but you didn't you hit it on the head with your last comment. We have to realise that oil is NOT a right we are born with. We have to change the way we live, and develop alternative transport technologies.* We have to do the same with electricity, the majority of which worldwide is coal-generated. We all take cheap energy for granted because we grew up with it, but energy has an economic and environmental cost. Time to wake up to that.

*corn-derived ethanol is a disaster - it is causing rising global corn prices as corn-for-fuel competes with corn-for-feed. At the end of the day, it is only a tokenistic response to the prolem. More promising would be using bagasse (sugar crop waste) and other crop wastes to generate ethanol. Either way, you'd need the entire arable land (ie. all the current food-cropping land) of 4 USAs to make enough ethanol to replace current US demand for transport fuel. it is a very small piece of a very large and complex puzzle.Finally someone that's done their research. Fact is, ethanol is a total waste. It is incredibly inefficient (all the arable land in the U.S. wouldn't keep us supplied and we would prioduce no food), it drives up corn prices and it substitutes the oil problem for starvation.

Fact is, prices will never go down because we are running out, and oil's lifetime isn't as long as people think. We peaked before the point it should peak and will run out before the time is should run out. Why? Because we need oil for things other than fuel, such as manufacturing plastics. Supply and demand will probably make oil too expensive as a fuel sources before it runs out, which is good because we get off of it faster and don't screw every manufacturing industry that turns oil into other goods.

Because of supply and demand, we will never convert off oil before it's time comes naturally. Oil and coal as energy is too efficient. The only way is to force the issue with taxes (which makes alternate fuel cheaper) or massive government subsidies (what we currently do to fund alternative fuel). Because of the way economics works, the environmental costs have to be catasprophic for the market to switch to a different fuel on it's own. The only solution here is again artificial, by internalizes the external costs of pollution with taxes or fines for envirnmental damage.

The world of courses currently prefers the middle road. No free-market country has taxed oil and coal to raise it's price above alternate fuel (and hence make it undesirable), and for understandable reasons as people are afraid of the market. In theory once oil is out of the picture a large demand on say solar energy causes it's price to fall as the components that make up solar energy lower their prices in a competetive market. Problem is, the demand isn't there, it's niche and will remain so for the forseeable future.

It will work itself out eventually. You can see it at work right here. People are angry at high prices. Representatives should respond. Of course, the time period for the response is extremely drawn out since big oil special interests are involved in politics.

I wait for the day that special interest and lobbyists are banned from the political process.

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Some states have cheaper fuel due to there state policys, theres always a give and go.

Fuel excise tax is a bitch that is only going to increase prices and inflation anyway, doesnt really make a difference whether the govt scraps it or not.

CubanMustGo
03-05-2008, 12:35 AM
All I can say is that my Civic Hybrid turned out to be a very good investment and the more gas goes up the better it gets. Yah I'd rather have $2 gas too but if not ...

Avitus1
03-05-2008, 12:38 AM
They know they got us by the balls, so why let go?

Das Texan
03-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Ya corn based ethanol is really fucking us up a lot.

Not only is it the stupidest and least efficent 'renewable' its causing food prices to rise thoughout the nation.

So now, in addition to rising fuel costs, we got rising food costs too. How awesome.

Thanks Detroit. Make no mistake, their lobbyists are very much behind that movement.

midgetonadonkey
03-05-2008, 07:52 AM

I'm more educated than you are carny. And secondly when the oil companies continuously hoard barrels of oil and put them in the "reserve" that is why the supply is limited.

spursfan09
03-05-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm going to invent my own fuel. I will sell it to you.

xrayzebra
03-05-2008, 10:33 AM
In Oz we are paying $1.20-1.40/L. In The UK it's closer to $2/L. Don't know about the rest of Europe.

Why people buy 5L V8s to sit in traffic jams will never make sense to me. If the whole world committed to only allowing small vehicles (bikes, motorbikes, cars with engines less than 1500cc) for personal use (larger vehicles would be acceptable for work purposes) in cities, combined with better public transport networks, the demand for oil would drop drastically. That would slow the rate of pollution and resource depletion, giving scientists and policy makers more time to find real solutions to these problems... but no, let's all drive SUVs.

You are the epitome of the type of individual that has
no earthly idea of what is going on in the world. You
and boutons.

You want to drive a stupid riding lawn mower, be my
guest, but don't try to tell me or anyone else what they
should drive.

Oil is abundant and should be exploited for the good of
the human race, which it has been for the past hundred
years. How in the hell do you think the world progressed
to the point it has without the energy supplied by oil?
The good fairy?

People like you and boutons have caused more pain and
suffering through your stupid environmental crap and oil
is bad BS than the law allows. Alternative fuels my
butt. These so called alternate fuels being pitched now
cause more harm than good, cost more and pollute more,
using you terms.

Go back into your little world and leave us to ours.

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2008, 10:33 AM
i think i better invest in horses and carriages....

who knows 40yrs from now...we be back to the good ol times of transportation

MoSpur
03-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm sick of the prices going up too. I am shocked as to how high its gone in such little time. Its all about money though. I hate hearing in the news of how much money Exxon made this quarter and that quarter. DUH!!!! Of course they're gonna make record profits.

CubanMustGo
03-05-2008, 11:26 AM
and boutons.

should drive.

The good fairy?

using you terms.

Go back into your little world and leave us to ours.

Translation: I've always been a resource hog and nothing will stop me.

Supreme_Being
03-05-2008, 12:37 PM
As long as you people fight with the middle east, I think it'll never go down.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
and boutons.

should drive.

The good fairy?

using you terms.

Go back into your little world and leave us to ours.that's a little agro, but i do blame environmentals to a degree. expecially these al gore groupies. don't give me this global warming crap. i can't wait for the carbon tax. i'm sure everyone's wazoo is just humming over that one.

spurster
03-05-2008, 02:34 PM
The era of cheap oil is fast coming to a close. There is plenty of oil shale and tar pits for niche uses, however.

More refineries would mean using it up faster at lower prices, perhaps. That's just what we need to do: more pollution, more global warming, and more funding of ME extremism.

Opening up Alaska or other US reserves in ecologically sensitive areas would be a drop in the long-term bucket. See above for using it up faster at lower prices.

Rather than wait for the technological tooth fairy to save us in a crisis, I would rather push alternatives and research now. For the medium-term, I think we'll have to depend much more on nuclear energy.

Trainwreck2100
03-05-2008, 02:39 PM
As long as you people fight with the middle east, I think it'll never go down.

Middle East fighting has gone on for hundreds of years, but when oil dries up0 when can go back to not giving a shit

Viva Las Espuelas
03-05-2008, 02:39 PM
more global warminghttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

xrayzebra
03-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Translation: I've always been a resource hog and nothing will stop me.

Another misguided soul. Has all the answers but none of
them are correct.

midgetonadonkey
03-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Another misguided soul. Has all the answers but none of
them are correct.

What makes you think your answers are the correct ones?

tlongII
03-05-2008, 05:32 PM
OPEC has reduced production to keep the price high.

xrayzebra
03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
What makes you think your answers are the correct ones?

Because I have history on my side. Just thought of
something. You still wear the bandana on your head.

Extra Stout
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
1. Demand is up because of growing economies like China and India, but supplies can't keep pace.

2. We are close to the point in history when oil production will plateau and then slowly start an irrevocable decline. Since the American economy, its infrastructure, its cities, etc. are all designed with the assumption of cheap and readily available oil, this means we are screwed. Sorry. The party is over. We will invade lots of countries to forestall this as long as possible, but ultimately we are screwed. If we don't bankrupt our economy because we can't compete anymore, we'll bankrupt it by fighting all the wars.

3A. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread about things like corn ethanol and refineries. Liberals do not support corn ethanol, and neither do conservatives. Archer Daniels Midland, ConAgra, and Cargill support corn ethanol because basically the scheme consists of giving them free money from taxpayers. We should be impaling their executives on blunt poles like the Turks and Romanians used to do, and/or eviscerating them with dull, rusty tools, and/or subjecting them to the Iron Maiden, but we don't seem to practice viciously cruel, medieval-style violent torture like that anymore.* Pity. The bastards deserve it.

3B. The whole talking point about "no new refineries since 1979" is bullshit meant to mislead you. Of course no oil company in its right mind is going to build a greenfield facility when it can just expand its existing refineries over and over again; why spend the money to recreate the infrastructure and logistics that they already have? Dozens of refinery expansion projects are going on right now; that is why my company has to keep throwing money at me so that Chevron, ExxonMobil, or Motiva won't lure me away.**

4. Even when oil supply and demand reaches an equilibrium, the price rises in dollars because the dollar is turning into Monopoly money lately. The British pound is $2 now; the Euro is $1.52. Our fiscal policies have been Third-World stupid since January 2001, and eventually the chickens come home to roost. Inflation is running at an annual rate of 7%.***

In summary, oil prices are never going down ever again, they'll actually go much higher, it will affect the cost of all goods that require transport such as food, and basically your quality of life is going to decline significantly. The post-WWII era of American hegemony and boundless prosperity is ending. Sorry.

*Except for waterboarding, WHICH IS TEH AWESOME
**Yes, while your life is collapsing into an economic hell unseen since the 1930's, I'll be doing OK. Thanks for asking. This is why I give to the homeless, because eventually a lot of them will be people I know.
***Zimbabwe runs 150,000% inflation, which is worse than 7%. THANK GOD for term limits on the Presidency. That was one seriously enlightened amendment.

BonnerDynasty
03-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Well that sucks.

:depressed

SpursWoman
03-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Got damn, no kidding. :(

midgetonadonkey
03-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Because I have history on my side. Just thought of
something. You still wear the bandana on your head.

I never wore a bandana fucknuts.

Spurminator
03-05-2008, 09:06 PM
For a really good time, read Extra Stout's post with The Carpenters' "Top of the World" playing in the background.

scott
03-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Haven't we explained this about 3298432423 times in the Political Forum?

Capt Bringdown
03-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Since the American economy, its infrastructure, its cities, etc. are all designed with the assumption of cheap and readily available oil, this means we are screwed.

Copy that - our entire way of life is based on cheap oil. Kinda frightening, isn't it?

I thought that after 9-11 the top priority should be developing alternative fuel sources. A massive project, along the lines of NASA and the Manhattan project.

Heath Ledger
03-06-2008, 02:30 AM
$3.99 for premium today in Baker California.

sa_butta
03-06-2008, 09:04 AM
This doesnt help...

Trans-atlantic flight had five passengers
An airline is under fire for flying an aircraft across the Atlantic with only five passengers.

The Boeing 777 used 22,000 gallons of fuel to take the five from Chicago to London.

It led to American Airlines being accused of reckless behaviour by green lobby groups, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Friends of the Earth said it was 'obscene' to waste so much fuel flying an almost empty plane

It's estimated each passenger was responsible for 43 tons of CO2 - enough to carry a Ford Mondeo around the world five times.

An American Airlines spokesman said: "With such a small passenger load we did consider whether we could cancel the flight and re-accommodate the five remaining passengers on other flights.

"However, this would have left a plane load of west-bound passengers stranded in London Heathrow who were due to fly back to the US on the same aircraft.

"We sought alternative flights for the west-bound passengers but heavy loads out of London that day meant that this was not possible."

Richard Dyer, Friends of the Earth's transport campaigner said: "Flying virtually empty planes is an obscene waste of fuel.

"Through no fault of their own , each passenger's carbon footprint for this flight is about 45 times what it would have been if the plane had been full."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2755142.html?menu=

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-06-2008, 10:26 PM
1. Demand is up because of growing economies like China and India, but supplies can't keep pace.

2. We are close to the point in history when oil production will plateau and then slowly start an irrevocable decline. Since the American economy, its infrastructure, its cities, etc. are all designed with the assumption of cheap and readily available oil, this means we are screwed. Sorry. The party is over. We will invade lots of countries to forestall this as long as possible, but ultimately we are screwed. If we don't bankrupt our economy because we can't compete anymore, we'll bankrupt it by fighting all the wars.

3A. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread about things like corn ethanol and refineries. Liberals do not support corn ethanol, and neither do conservatives. Archer Daniels Midland, ConAgra, and Cargill support corn ethanol because basically the scheme consists of giving them free money from taxpayers. We should be impaling their executives on blunt poles like the Turks and Romanians used to do, and/or eviscerating them with dull, rusty tools, and/or subjecting them to the Iron Maiden, but we don't seem to practice viciously cruel, medieval-style violent torture like that anymore.* Pity. The bastards deserve it.

3B. The whole talking point about "no new refineries since 1979" is bullshit meant to mislead you. Of course no oil company in its right mind is going to build a greenfield facility when it can just expand its existing refineries over and over again; why spend the money to recreate the infrastructure and logistics that they already have? Dozens of refinery expansion projects are going on right now; that is why my company has to keep throwing money at me so that Chevron, ExxonMobil, or Motiva won't lure me away.**

4. Even when oil supply and demand reaches an equilibrium, the price rises in dollars because the dollar is turning into Monopoly money lately. The British pound is $2 now; the Euro is $1.52. Our fiscal policies have been Third-World stupid since January 2001, and eventually the chickens come home to roost. Inflation is running at an annual rate of 7%.***

In summary, oil prices are never going down ever again, they'll actually go much higher, it will affect the cost of all goods that require transport such as food, and basically your quality of life is going to decline significantly. The post-WWII era of American hegemony and boundless prosperity is ending. Sorry.

**Yes, while your life is collapsing into an economic hell unseen since the 1930's, I'll be doing OK. Thanks for asking. This is why I give to the homeless, because eventually a lot of them will be people I know.
***Zimbabwe runs 150,000% inflation, which is worse than 7%. THANK GOD for term limits on the Presidency. That was one seriously enlightened amendment.

Thank you ES, a voice of reason.

As for you Ray, you think I don't have a clue? You get your information from 1950! :lmao

Oil is a non-renewable resource that will run out - the International Energy Agency, who keep tabs on this sort of thing, predicts that to happen (based on the entirely predictable yield curves of oil fields in each country) in 43 years. FACT.

Transport fuels (ie. oil) are the 2nd major contributor to greenhouse gas production after electricity generation. FACT.

No-one currently pays for the damage being done to land, earth and air by fossil fuels. FACT.

Sitting in a traffic jam alone in your 5L V8 SUV is extremely wasteful when you could be sitting in a car with a 1,5L engine. FACT.

:flipoff

People like you make me sick.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-07-2008, 12:16 AM
You are a bitch. FACT.

And you're a lying cocksucker who pretends he's mouse when he's actually not. Who's the bitch again? What do you actually add around here? Not a fucking thing that I can see.

Ray mouthed off about me and I'm not allowed to say something back to him? Go fuck yourself with a cactus.

Nbadan
03-07-2008, 12:49 AM

Bravo....that the most significant post I've ever read from ExtraStout...

mikejones99
03-07-2008, 04:11 AM
$3.59 and rising here

JoeChalupa
03-07-2008, 11:10 AM
After this summer the days of gas under $3 may be over.

Heath Ledger
03-07-2008, 11:17 AM
$3.59 for reglar in my home town right now. been going up every day for last week.