PDA

View Full Version : Oaklahoma City Voters 121.6M for NBA TEAM

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2008, 02:13 AM
121.6M UPgrades to lure NBA TEAM

some team should do it imo....NOH for example should go there since they wont have to realigned the conferences or another team to southwest division...

Brutalis
03-05-2008, 02:34 AM
Fuck expansion too many teams suck as it is.

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2008, 02:36 AM
they are probably tryin to lure either NOH or sonics to oaklahoma

who do you guys prefer?

johngateswhiteley
03-05-2008, 06:22 AM
they are probably tryin to lure either NOH or sonics to oaklahoma

who do you guys prefer?

i would imagine they'd get the Sonics if any team. though, i will be sad to see the Sonics leave Seattle...if in fact they do.

remingtonbo2001
03-05-2008, 08:31 AM
It's Seattle.

Moving the Hornets out of NO would be racist. :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
03-05-2008, 09:43 AM
The Hornets don't have to go anywhere. They have a really nice subsidy from the state of Louisiana just like the Saints.

MajorMike
03-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Bennett told OKC he would move the Sonics there if they did 'X' amount of improvements to the Ford Center. OKC voters, unlike Seattle voters in 2006, overwhelmingly approved the measure. This means the Sonics will be in OKC for certain. It probably will not be next year, as the city's litigation will do nothing more than purposefully bounce around in court until it is too late to play a full season in OKC. Therefore it will most assuredly be 2009-2010 for the first full season in OKC. This will actually be good, as OKC will have nearly a year to begin selling season tickets and drumming up support. I would venture to guess they will most likely play 1 or 2 exhibition games in OKC and very well might play a regular season game or 2 in OKC next season.

For those of you that don't know about Mayor Cornett (the Mickster), he was actually a very popular sport anchor for years in OKC, and according to legend called Shinn before he even consulted the OKC city council to tell him the Hornets could come to OKC after Katrina.

Oklahoma City approves funding to improve downtown arena

March 4, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma City voters approved a sales tax extension Tuesday to fund $121.6 million in improvements to a downtown arena and build a practice facility in hopes of luring an NBA team.

The proposal received support from 44,849 voters, or 62 percent of those who cast ballots, according to final results from the Oklahoma County Election Board.

The plan calls for a one-penny sales tax to be extended by 15 months to pay for $97 million in upgrades to the Ford Center and another $24.6 million for a brand new NBA practice facility.

"I think we're really set up to get an NBA team. I know people want to know which one and when, and I don't have the answer to those questions," Mayor Mick Cornett said. "There's a process to this, and that process is going to play out. You can't circumvent the process. We have to be patient and see what happens."

The Seattle SuperSonics, owned by Oklahoma City businessman Clay Bennett, are seeking to relocate to the city. NBA owners will vote on the relocation request next month, but the SuperSonics owners' effort to break their lease in Seattle is still pending in federal court.

"We will not let you down. We know we have some work to do and we'll get to it starting first thing tomorrow morning," Cornett said.

Bennett issued a statement Tuesday night thanking Cornett, the city council and the chamber of commerce, which backed a campaign promoting the vote as a way to become a "Big League City."

"Above all, we are grateful to the citizens of Oklahoma City for their continued commitment to excellence," Bennett said.

The Ford Center opened in 2002 and hosted the New Orleans Hornets for two seasons following Hurricane Katrina. Average attendance for those games was more than 18,000, but the proposed upgrades were designed to help increase the arena's ability to generate revenue from multiple sources and also keep up with a new arena in Kansas City, Mo., and one under construction in Tulsa.

"What it did was basically assure we're going to hold our own on Big 12 tournaments and NCAA regionals," Cornett said. "We were in danger of slipping. If we didn't pass this, it was going to be tough for us to get those featured events. That's taken care of, no matter what else happens."

Less than 1½ hours after polls closed, Cornett announced expected victory to supporters at a watch party at a restaurant in the Bricktown entertainment district.

"You need places like this, you need those important infrastructure elements, you need a strong arts community and you also need to have a sporting presence," Cornett said.

"I couldn't tell you how proud I am that we're creating this complete picture. We really are creating a city where people want to be. This a golden age in Oklahoma City. I think some day we'll be able to look back and people will realize it."

The Ford Center was built using funds from a similar sales tax plan that also raised money to build a minor league ballpark and transform a warehouse district into the city's bustling Bricktown entertainment district. It also hosts a minor league hockey franchise and an arena football team.

The Hornets' temporary stay was the city's first chance to host a professional team from one of the four major league sports.

"I think that the Hornets hooked a lot of people on the NBA. A lot of people follow it now," said Greater Oklahoma City Chamber president Roy Williams. "I believe that this is going to be a renewal sort of unlike we've seen. I think people are going to begin tracking and paying more and more attention that it could be soon that it's announced we're going to be an NBA city."

Planned upgrades include restaurants, clubs, suites and new locker rooms. If no team relocates to Oklahoma City before June 2009, the sales tax will run out after 12 months and the practice facility and any NBA-specific improvements to the Ford Center will not be built.

"The Sonics are in Seattle, and the Sonics can stay in Seattle. That's in the hands of Seattle," Williams said. "Seattle can still keep their team if they're willing to do what it takes to pay for it.

"It's not ours to win. It's Seattle's to lose."

ChumpDumper
03-05-2008, 09:52 AM
If no team relocates to Oklahoma City before June 2009, the sales tax will run out after 12 months and the practice facility and any NBA-specific improvements to the Ford Center will not be built.That's actually a very smart way of going about it.

degenerate_gambler
03-05-2008, 10:21 AM
i would imagine they'd get the Sonics if any team. though, i will be sad to see the Sonics leave Seattle...if in fact they do.

seattle had their chance and they said no new arena...so screw 'em.

props to okc for not fucking around and going after what they want.

as for n.o...chump is right on...as long as that shithole state keeps lining Benson's and Shinn's pockets, why move?

MajorMike
03-05-2008, 04:12 PM
I heard today that Seattle might sue to keep the name if Bennett doesn't leave it. Therefore I would prolly say they will be renamed.