PDA

View Full Version : All right, damnit...where are the GAME THOUGHTS?

travis2
03-05-2008, 08:05 AM
What are we paying you for anyway? :lol

vanvannen
03-05-2008, 08:07 AM
:lol

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to push it. Now that you've done it, I can second you.

Jimcs50
03-05-2008, 09:16 AM
game thoughts?

Spurs: Ugly win....who wants to read about 33% shooting anyway?

Allanon
03-05-2008, 09:22 AM
That game was just ugly, ugly, ugly.

How can a team with "Did you seeeeee VCCCCCCC?", Richard Jefferson, Devin Harris, Diop, Kristic be that bad?

Spurs stopped screwing around in the 4th and pulled away.

Doctor J
03-05-2008, 09:27 AM
The game may not even deserve a "thought".

The game was terrible and boring!

But............... I am still waiting for timvp's article. :spin

Dex
03-05-2008, 10:07 AM
For an appropriate recap, timvp should come out with a lethargic review, immediately pop two bad comments on Tony and Tim, shoot from the hip and say things that aren't really accurate but don't entirely miss the point, then wrap the thing up with one solid remark that would qualify the Game Thoughts as an, albeit arguable, success.

Kori Ellis
03-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Kori and LJ Ellis = sick

But I'm sure he'll do them at some point today.

phxspurfan
03-05-2008, 10:47 AM
excuses!

Quasar
03-05-2008, 10:49 AM
What are we paying you for anyway? :lol

Why don't you do it yourself to jumpstart the discussion?

I know you meant it as a half-joke, but if everyone who is able to watch games posted his 'educated' opinion & thoughts, it would allow a lot of opportunity for learning.

Even newbie-ish game thoughts would be a good contribution as they would provide more knowledgeable people with an opportunity to teach and correct.

san antonio spurs
Kori and LJ Ellis = sick

get well

MoSpur
Hope you guys feel better.

Dex
03-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Eat lots of chicken soup and be sure to sneeze on little kids. :blah

Mr. Body
03-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Worst Spurs victory I've ever seen. Awful to watch. Boring and ugly.

travis2
03-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Kori and LJ Ellis = sick

awwww...feel better soon...

urunobili
03-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Bonner: finally realized he is the deepest tool on the bench and will be de-activated for the playoffs.
Vaughn: Showed some toughness out there and played good D. i think he still leads the race for the backup position come playoff time.
Ime: is geting every single day more comfortable with his role and this game showed us that.
Bruce: Played very good D, his jumper was here and there.
Kurt Thomas: i love the way this guy looks on our system. he will thrive come playoff time. he is getting the rebound and despite he still looks like he has a lot to learn, he is smart enough not to screw things up.
Horry: it was nice to c him back on the court. His jumper is still not falling and that could lead top KT getting his playing time in the playoffs.
Oberto: his game was aggressive and that is what Pop is looking for.
Finley: He struggled with his J at the beginning and then a couple fell and some of his frustration went away

Road Warrior
03-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Why do you guys need game thoughts (No dis-respect to TIMVP) didn't you watch the game? I mean don't you guys have a mind of your own?

travis2
03-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Why don't you do it yourself to jumpstart the discussion?

I know you meant it as a half-joke, but if everyone who is able to watch games posted his 'educated' opinion & thoughts, it would allow a lot of opportunity for learning.

Even newbie-ish game thoughts would be a good contribution as they would provide more knowledgeable people with an opportunity to teach and correct.

well, I'm hardly a newbie...

I won't go into player-by-player comparisons except for just a few.

Offensively, let's face it...this game did set the game of basketball back 30 years or so. At least. At times, the clank factor was reminiscent of a middle-school or high school JV game. But hey...a win is a win, especially when as a winning team you shoot 33.8%.

Fortunately, the Spurs had one player who actually came out of the locker room knowing what the basket looked like. TD shot 11-21 on the night...and that was after starting out a scorching 10-13.

It wasn't the turnovers (the Spurs only had 11 all game...although the few they had seemed to pop up in critical moments). It wasn't the Nets' defense, either...it seemed to me the Spurs had plenty of open looks all night. No...it was the execution and decision making, coupled with just abysmal shooting. Minus TD, the rest of the team shot 15-56. That's 26.8%, boys and girls. That's not losing basketball...that's getting your ass chewed up and shot out of the gym basketball. Usually, that is.

You have a player who is shooting lights-out...so why the fuck aren't you dumping the ball into him every single play and forcing the opponent to defend against him? Many of those clanks I referenced came after a bunch of dribbling and/or passing, where Tim never touched the ball once! I was screaming with Sean in the second half...get the fucking ball to Tim. Period. Why the ball seemed to avoid him on so many plays is a mystery to me.

At least the team was being relatively aggressive...the FT disparity was one to make blood shoot out of Mark Cuban's eyeballs. 31 FTAs for the Spurs vs 16 for the Nets at least has the possibility of keeping you in the game...so long as you are making those free throws. And the Spurs continued their recent facility at the line, making 25.

No, the story of this win was another wet blanket and axe handle party held in the Nets' honor by the Spurs defense. They held the Nets to 37.3% shooting, mainly by forcing them to shoot jumpshots (or letting them settle for those jumpers). With the exception of Williams, the Nets pretty much had a hand in their face all night long.

Rebounding since Kurt Thomas came on board has been impressive. Both he and Ime did a job cleaning the glass.

I'll let others make individual player assessments...but I need to say something about Mike Finley. The man seems to have lost every shred of confidence in his shot, and I really don't know why. He passed up open look after open look to dribble in closer, only to find a harder, contested shot attempt waiting for him. When he left the floor for the last time, you could see it in his face, his body language, everything...the man is totally lost. I thought the one open 3 he made might help him snap out of it, but no...he continued to pass that shot up.

Let's keep it all in perspective, though...as much as we all want the Spurs to play well, they get no points in the standings for a well-played game. Only the W. And in that sense, mission accomplished.

vanvannen
03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Why do you guys need game thoughts (No dis-respect to TIMVP) didn't you watch the game? I mean don't you guys have a mind of your own?

I like Timvp's points of view. Wether I watch the game or not, I like reading his take. Is that so bad?

Road Warrior
03-05-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't need game thoughts..but what does "have a mind of your own" have to do with game thoughts? Some people can't watch the games and game thoughts are their only way to see how the Spurs played. Also, we enjoy Timvp's recaps.
Maybe you could come up with your own game thoghts? I don't want to get into a thing about game toughts :lol i was just a little curious but it's all good.

smeagol
03-05-2008, 11:51 AM

I won't go into player-by-player comparisons except for just a few.

Offensively, let's face it...this game did set the game of basketball back 30 years or so. At least. At times, the clank factor was reminiscent of a middle-school or high school JV game. But hey...a win is a win, especially when as a winning team you shoot 33.8%.

Fortunately, the Spurs had one player who actually came out of the locker room knowing what the basket looked like. TD shot 11-21 on the night...and that was after starting out a scorching 10-13.

It wasn't the turnovers (the Spurs only had 11 all game...although the few they had seemed to pop up in critical moments). It wasn't the Nets' defense, either...it seemed to me the Spurs had plenty of open looks all night. No...it was the execution and decision making, coupled with just abysmal shooting. Minus TD, the rest of the team shot 15-56. That's 26.8%, boys and girls. That's not losing basketball...that's getting your ass chewed up and shot out of the gym basketball. Usually, that is.

You have a player who is shooting lights-out...so why the fuck aren't you dumping the ball into him every single play and forcing the opponent to defend against him? Many of those clanks I referenced came after a bunch of dribbling and/or passing, where Tim never touched the ball once! I was screaming with Sean in the second half...get the fucking ball to Tim. Period. Why the ball seemed to avoid him on so many plays is a mystery to me.

At least the team was being relatively aggressive...the FT disparity was one to make blood shoot out of Mark Cuban's eyeballs. 31 FTAs for the Spurs vs 16 for the Nets at least has the possibility of keeping you in the game...so long as you are making those free throws. And the Spurs continued their recent facility at the line, making 25.

No, the story of this win was another wet blanket and axe handle party held in the Nets' honor by the Spurs defense. They held the Nets to 37.3% shooting, mainly by forcing them to shoot jumpshots (or letting them settle for those jumpers). With the exception of Williams, the Nets pretty much had a hand in their face all night long.

Rebounding since Kurt Thomas came on board has been impressive. Both he and Ime did a job cleaning the glass.

I'll let others make individual player assessments...but I need to say something about Mike Finley. The man seems to have lost every shred of confidence in his shot, and I really don't know why. He passed up open look after open look to dribble in closer, only to find a harder, contested shot attempt waiting for him. When he left the floor for the last time, you could see it in his face, his body language, everything...the man is totally lost. I thought the one open 3 he made might help him snap out of it, but no...he continued to pass that shot up.

Let's keep it all in perspective, though...as much as we all want the Spurs to play well, they get no points in the standings for a well-played game. Only the W. And in that sense, mission accomplished.
:tu

Thanks

GSH
03-05-2008, 12:10 PM
The Spurs knocked down their free throws... again. Over the last 10 games, they have shot .793 from the line. From 9:31 in the third, until 7:34 in the fourth, the Spurs made 3 field goals: a dunk by Duncan, a tip-in by Duncan, and a 3-pointer by Ginobili. That's 7 points from the field in more than a full quarter (14 minutes) of playing time. But they went 9-9 from the line during that same span, and only gave up 1 point of their lead.

If the Spurs had shot free throws that well in the past, they might have another banner or two hanging from the rafters. That might be the most overlooked factor heading into the Western Conference playoffs - if they can keep it up.

Quasar
03-05-2008, 12:16 PM

Sorry, my bad - I was actually saying that to everyone. The 'newbie' thing was as an encouragement... I know you've been around for a long long time :D You did use to post more often though!

Great job with your thoughts - I love reading the thoughts of knowledgeable users as I can only watch box scores due to living in France and having no sports channel subscriptions!

Wow... that means he went 1-8 afterwards!! Was it due to better defense?

You have a player who is shooting lights-out...so why the fuck aren't you dumping the ball into him every single play and forcing the opponent to defend against him?

May be they stopped going to him because he was 1-8 (possibly due to good defense?

Wow I haven't seen this mentioned by anyone before... Has this been going on for some time? He was shooting at a nice percentage when he was coming off from the bench a few games ago....

Quasar
03-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Yes I'm too lazy to write about everyone else, because the game was too damn boring.

Why do you say it was boring? Low percentage shooting?

How was ball movement? Whenever I get the chance to watch games, what makes it most interesting for me is to watch the defensive abilities on display, and the ball movement.

Quasar
03-05-2008, 12:22 PM

I don't get to watch games - only box scores. This being an international site, i'm sure there are a lot of others who share my predicament.

Game thoughts give great insight into the team's morale, chemistry, and especially, game flow (e.g. look at my reply to travis above)

Quasar
03-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Kurt Thomas: i love the way this guy looks on our system. he will thrive come playoff time. he is getting the rebound and despite he still looks like he has a lot to learn, he is smart enough not to screw things up.

Indeed both him and Udoka have been getting lots of rebounds. We're no longer a soft rebounding team!!

Oberto: his game was aggressive and that is what Pop is looking for.
Why do you say he was aggressive? According to the box score, he shot 0-3 and only got 4 rebounds. Doesn't look very good.

My thoughts
I have only one because that stat on the boxscore jumped out at me...

Udoka: 11 rebounds??!!! Wow!! When was the last time a guard not named Manu (who rebounds in clutch situations) or Tony (who's a pretty good rebounder) got more than 7 rebounds?

Kori Ellis
03-05-2008, 12:33 PM

This is one of the dumbest comments I've read in a while.

1. Many people on the board can't watch the game.
2. Do you read the newspaper, magazines, watch TV or listen to the radio for sports commentary/analysis? If so, please stop .. don't you have a freakin' mind of your own? :rolleyes Actually, you shouldn't even be here on SpursTalk reading other people's opinions, right?

travis2
03-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Sorry, my bad - I was actually saying that to everyone. The 'newbie' thing was as an encouragement... I know you've been around for a long long time :D You did use to post more often though!

no sweat...another half-joke. Work issues prevent me from posting more than I do.

Wow... that means he went 1-8 afterwards!! Was it due to better defense?

May be they stopped going to him because he was 1-8 (possibly due to good defense?

No, actually it was more a case of him going 1-8 because they stopped going to him and he lost his rhythm.

Wow I haven't seen this mentioned by anyone before... Has this been going on for some time? He was shooting at a nice percentage when he was coming off from the bench a few games ago....

Actually yeah, the last 2 or 3 games, anyway. Usually when he gets into a slump like this (and he has slumped before), he is able to shoot himself out of it...and he keeps his head up while he's doing it. His head's not up right now.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-05-2008, 12:38 PM
It was a tough game to watch. Spurs won this one on the boards. When you're shooting like shit the only thing left to do is generate more possessions. They were +8 on the offensive glass and from what I saw were pretty effective in converting their second chances points.

And for anyone who doubted that Diop is a Spurs killer? He had the Nets best +/- rating (+3) :lol

GSH
03-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I don't get to watch games - only box scores. This being an international site, i'm sure there are a lot of others who share my predicament.

Game thoughts give great insight into the team's morale, chemistry, and especially, game flow (e.g. look at my reply to travis above)

We spent a year in Israel (consultants) a couple of seasons ago, but we listened to every single game on an internet feed. The 10-hour time difference made it tough sometimes, but we never missed a game. We got really good at picturing things from a voice-only broadcast, but it's still nothing like watching a game. It was really nice to come here and read the comments and game recaps.

Last night's game was so strange, it would be tough to get a feel for it from a voice-only feed, or from a box score.

SpursFanFirst
03-05-2008, 12:53 PM
This is one of the dumbest comments I've read in a while.

1. Many people on the board can't watch the game.
2. Do you read the newspaper, magazines, watch TV or listen to the radio for sports commentary/analysis? If so, please stop .. don't you have a freakin' mind of your own? :rolleyes Actually, you shouldn't even be here on SpursTalk reading other people's opinions, right?

:lol :tu

Get well, Kori and Timvp! :sick

smeagol
03-05-2008, 01:37 PM

He used to be a damn fine Political Forum poster . . .

Now he usually wastes his talents in The Club . . . :depressed

:lol

travis2
03-05-2008, 01:44 PM
I like my blood pressure where it is, thank you...:lol

wildchild
03-05-2008, 01:52 PM
yeah, oberto just couldn't hit a shot from anywhere around the basket... even when no one was around him. After a while, I was thinking "get oberto off the court and put KT in"...

Neither Oberto nor Kurt didn't score. Thomas wasn't so well but he's in process to learn our system.
The only thing we won't say Oberto off the bench 'cause Ginobili off the bench any more. Manu started again?.

Come back Timvp!:tu. Who's sick? Kori? Get better soon! .

wildchild
03-05-2008, 02:01 PM
And for anyone who doubted that Diop is a Spurs killer? He had the Nets best +/- rating (+3) :lol

I thought Mavs'll miss him in the paint perhaps I'm wrong. Bass was amazing against Tim last game.