PDA

View Full Version : BB named WC Player de la semana!

boutons
01-10-2005, 02:32 PM
viva el Brucie!!

timvp
01-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Bosh, Bowen Named Players of the Week

NEW YORK, Jan. 10 – The Toronto Raptors’ Chris Bosh and the San Antonio Spurs’ Bruce Bowen today were named the Eastern Conference and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Monday, January 3 through Sunday, January 9.

Bosh
Bowen
Bosh led Toronto to a 3-1 week, recording wins against Orlando, Sacramento and Golden State. He averaged 20.5 points on 60% shooting and 13.0 rebounds this week, up significantly from season averages of 13.9 points and 7.8 rebounds. Bosh recorded a double-double (points-rebounds) in every game this week, and posted a career-high in rebounds (17) against Golden State and tied a career-high in points (25) against Orlando.

Bowen led San Antonio to a perfect 3-0 week, averaging 17.3 points on 55.9% shooting in games against the Los Angeles Lakers, Indiana and Denver. He set a career-high with 24 points, connecting on five three-pointers, in a win over the Lakers on January 4. Bowen’s defense limited Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant to 17 points (11.5 points below his season average of 28.5 points), Indiana’s Reggie Miller to 11 points (4.7 points below his season average of 15.7 points), and Denver’s Carmelo Anthony to eight points (13.2 points below his season average of 21.2 points).

Here is a closer look at the week for Bosh and Bowen:

Chris Bosh, Toronto Raptors
Jan. 3 vs. Orlando: Tied a career-high with 25 points, and posted 12 rebounds and three assists in a 105-94 win over the Magic.
Jan. 25 vs. Sacramento: Had a double-double of 23 points and 13 rebounds in a 96-93 victory over the Kings.
Jan. 7 vs. Milwaukee: Tallied 13 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks in a 107-105 overtime loss to the Bucks.
Jan. 9 vs. Golden State: Recorded 21 points on 8-of-9 shooting, a career-high 17 rebounds, four assists and two blocks in a 109-87 win over the visiting Warriors.

Bruce Bowen, San Antonio Spurs
Jan. 4 vs. L.A. Lakers: Scored a career-high 24 points, including five three-pointers, and posted four rebounds and two assists in a 100-83 win over the Lakers.
Jan. 6 vs. Indiana: Had 11 points, two rebounds and one steal in a 111-98 win over the visiting Pacers.
Jan. 8 vs. Denver: Tallied 17 points on 6-of-8 shooting, two rebounds and two steals in a 99-90 victory over the Nuggets.

Other nominees for Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Cleveland’s LeBron James, Dallas’ Dirk Nowitzki, Indiana’s Jermaine O’Neal, Miami’s Shaquille O’Neal, Minnesota’s Kevin Garnett, Orlando’s Steve Francis, Phoenix’s Shawn Marion, San Antonio’s Tim Duncanand Washington’s Gilbert Arenas and Larry Hughes.

timvp
01-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Wow ... I didn't even see anybody mention this as a possibility. I guess the NBA likes the Spurs.

:smokin

SpursWoman
01-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Cool. :)

So he beat out:

Other nominees for Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Cleveland’s LeBron James, Dallas’ Dirk Nowitzki, Indiana’s Jermaine O’Neal, Miami’s Shaquille O’Neal, Minnesota’s Kevin Garnett, Orlando’s Steve Francis, Phoenix’s Shawn Marion, San Antonio’s Tim Duncan and Washington’s Gilbert Arenas and Larry Hughes.

:wow :lol

travis2
01-10-2005, 02:38 PM
But Bruce Bowen is a liability and should be on the bench! Bring in the ballas!

[/ :cooldevil ]

boutons
01-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Just think how good he'll be when he matures a bit!!

:lol :lol

Congrats Bruce!!

picnroll
01-10-2005, 02:44 PM
wolves009 Pups actually win a game and KG might get some consideration. :lol

Kori Ellis
01-10-2005, 02:44 PM
For some reason this cracks me up.

Congrats Bruce!!

Spurminator
01-10-2005, 02:45 PM
About time they recognized contributions on both ends of the floor for one of these awards.

Kori Ellis
01-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Bowen’s defense limited Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant to 17 points (11.5 points below his season average of 28.5 points), Indiana’s Reggie Miller to 11 points (4.7 points below his season average of 15.7 points), and Denver’s Carmelo Anthony to eight points (13.2 points below his season average of 21.2 points).

It's about time they recognize defense in naming these players.

Jimcs50
01-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Suck on that, Ghost!!!!

Rummpd
01-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Unbelievable, but bad news for BB lovers, probably means he will get benched soon early with one screw up - don't want a hot player going off you know.

On the serious side, maybe this will rag other Spurs to uplift games to go on an even more serious upward level = Great leadership BOWEN.

MadDoc

Useruser666
01-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Suck on that Ghost!!!!

Is that a Scary Movie 2 reference?

exstatic
01-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Congrats, Bruce.

boutons
01-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Our Bruce is a symptom-less vector for Brucellosis.

Brucellosis (from Merriam-Webster Unabridged)
========
a disease of man of sudden or insidious onset and long duration characterized by great weakness, extreme exhaustion on slight effort, night sweats, chilliness, remittent fever, and generalized aches and pains and acquired through direct contact.

:lol :lol

Jimcs50
01-10-2005, 02:51 PM

It's about time they recognize defense in naming these players.

Kori, I do not think they are recognizing his D...he got this because he had a great Offensive week too...the D always takes a backseat in these weekly beauty contests.

I think this will get him some pub for D player of the year though.

Kori Ellis
01-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Jim, his D had something to do with it. That's why they listed all that info about his D on those three players this week. Many other players had better offensive weeks than Bowen did. So, D was a big part of it.

Kori Ellis
01-10-2005, 02:52 PM
http://www.spursinfo.com/photos/spurs/050104/050104_6.jpg

maxpower
01-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Nice recognition. Great for Bruce.

Rummpd
01-10-2005, 03:03 PM
B Spurs on a roll, Beno first, then the noble Bruce (was the name of the most famous King of Scotland among other things), whose next Barry or Brown?

T Park
01-10-2005, 03:27 PM
How can this be??

I mean, wasnt it said that he was the worst Small Forward in the league??

THE WORST?!?!?

As usual, big mouth never shows up for this kind of thing.

Rick Von Braun
01-10-2005, 03:32 PM
BB could be Bruce Bowen or Brent Barry. When I read the thread title I was http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiconfused.gif

Matrix
01-10-2005, 03:41 PM
I guess we can give you this one, they can't keep giving it to a SUNS player anyways. We went 4-0 against Minnesota and houston back to back on the road, then to LA for the clippers on sat, and back home on Sunday against the Pacers. Good first week, but January only gets tougher.
Shawn Marion last week stats:
points rebounds steals
28 8 2
22 9 0
22 11 2
21 7 5

AVG
23.25 8.75 2.25

Not a bad week for the MATRIX, anyways, congrats to Bowen, one hell of game in shutting down Kome...

ShoogarBear
01-10-2005, 03:47 PM
For some reason this cracks me up.

Congrats Bruce!!

This gives me the biggest smile I've had in a long time (straight line alert).

Maybe you could argue the award is more of a "lifetime achievement" awardcombined with a week of signficant delta peformance over his norm. On the other hand, you could argue that if someone could play like this every week on both ends, he'd be All-NBA.

Bruce may be the hardest-working, least-talent POW in NBA history. And that's something to be proud of!

:elephant :elephant

genghisrex
01-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Great job, Bruce! With Artest gone, Kirilenko out for a significant period, and the Pistons struggling, maybe he can pull off DPOY too.

Rummpd
01-10-2005, 04:58 PM
"I guess we can give you this one, they can't keep giving it to a SUNS player anyways. We went 4-0 against Minnesota and houston back to back on the road, then to LA for the clippers on sat, and back home on Sunday against the Pacers. Good first week, but January only gets tougher.
points rebounds steals
28 8 2
22 9 0
22 11 2
21 7 5

AVG
23.25 8.75 2.25

Not a bad week for the MATRIX, anyways, congrats to Bowen, one hell of game in shutting down Kome..."

AS HE ABUSED MARION!!!!

Next complaint?

TOUGH IS WHEN THE SPURS ROLL INTO THE LAND OF SUN - ready for @#$ whipping #2!!!!MadDoc

Jimcs50
01-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Jim, his D had something to do with it. That's why they listed all that info about his D on those three players this week. Many other players had better offensive weeks than Bowen did. So, D was a big part of it.

Yes, his D had something to do with it, but he has had even better defensive weeks than this in his career, and go ZERO votes for POW, you know, I know it and everyone knows it.

He got voted in because of his offense and defense together.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Nice, this is way better than Beno's award.

boutons
01-10-2005, 05:11 PM
"this is way better than Beno's award"

Tell Beno that. Any comparison is totally invalid!

Each got his award for his merits (ok beauty) within his role.

Kori Ellis
01-10-2005, 05:11 PM
He got voted in because of his offense and defense together.

Umm, yeah that's what I've been saying in this thread. You said it wasn't because of his D.

Kori, I do not think they are recognizing his D...

Jimcs50
01-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Kori, I do not think they are recognizing his D...he got this because he had a great Offensive week too...the D always takes a backseat in these weekly beauty contests.

I think this will get him some pub for D player of the year though.

Oh contrare, I said his D and his O...the word "too" is in my sentence...you omitted it, I see.

Kori Ellis
01-10-2005, 05:21 PM
I still don't get what you are arguing with me about. All I said was that this was the first time that they recognized defense when awarding Player of the Week. And you said, "I don't think they are recognizing his D" :wtf are you babbling on and on about? :)

Jimcs50
01-10-2005, 05:22 PM
My point is and was, that Bruce had shut down Peja, Ray Allen, Vince Carter, and Kobe many many times and was never even considered POW...he would have never been considered this week, had he not hade 24 pts against LA and averaged 17 pts and shot 57%...Offense is, and always has been the glamour of the NBA...and only scorers get MVPs and POM awards.

Jimcs50
01-10-2005, 05:24 PM
I still don't get what you are arguing with me about. All I said was that this was the first time that they recognized defense when awarding Player of the Week. And you said, "I don't think they are recognizing his D" :wtf are you babbling on and on about? :)

I am babbling :) on because I am tired of the NBA never recognizing strickly defensive greatness. Bruce should have won this award a few times, IMO.

Kori Ellis
01-10-2005, 05:24 PM
:rolleyes

You still do not get it. OF COURSE it's about both his offense and defense. I didn't say otherwise. ALL I SAID WAS THEY ARE FINALLY RECOGNIZING D. Believe me if he just put up those offensive numbers and Kobe and Melo went off on him, he wouldn't have gotten the award either.

Jimcs50
01-10-2005, 05:25 PM
anyway...I am happy for him

Even Ghost does not recognize defense, because he said that Bruce would not start on any team in the NBA, many many times.

Kori Ellis
01-10-2005, 05:26 PM
Now stop ruining this beautiful thread with your babble. :)

Jimcs50
01-10-2005, 05:28 PM
:rolleyes

You still do not get it. OF COURSE it's about both his offense and defense. I didn't say otherwise. ALL I SAID WAS THEY ARE FINALLY RECOGNIZING D. Believe me if he just put up those offensive numbers and Kobe and Melo went off on him, he wouldn't have gotten the award either.

Yes, that is true. But we all got our dicks hard(well, not you) when he outscored Kobe, that is what got him the national publicity....

Maybe they will start taking note from now on.

I also think this will just about lock up the DPOY award for Bruce.

Remember, Artest got POW last year when he went off on offense that week.

Jimcs50
01-10-2005, 05:28 PM

sorry. :depressed

Kori Ellis
01-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Well Bowen got torched by Peja, Ray Allen (twice) and TMac already this year. So I don't think he's a shoe-in yet for DPOY. Some people may even argue that Duncan has a better shot at it. But Bruce learns from his mistakes and he watches a lot of tape to improve. So I don't think those three will be going off in the next meeting against the Spurs.

Brodels
01-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Ghost, the man you pegged as 'worst starting small forward in the NBA' has been named player of the week. You're being called out. Eric Williams didn't make the cut in the east.

I'm happy for Bruce. He's had a good week and he keeps improving even at his advanced (for the NBA, at least) age.

I personally thought he did a pretty average job against Melo in the fourth quarter though. I was actually going to start a thread claiming that Bruce might be losing a step...and then he's named player of the week. Silly me.

Matrix
01-10-2005, 05:39 PM
"I guess we can give you this one, they can't keep giving it to a SUNS player anyways. We went 4-0 against Minnesota and houston back to back on the road, then to LA for the clippers on sat, and back home on Sunday against the Pacers. Good first week, but January only gets tougher.
points rebounds steals
28 8 2
22 9 0
22 11 2
21 7 5

AVG
23.25 8.75 2.25

Not a bad week for the MATRIX, anyways, congrats to Bowen, one hell of game in shutting down Kome..."

AS HE ABUSED MARION!!!!

Next complaint?

TOUGH IS WHEN THE SPURS ROLL INTO THE LAND OF SUN - ready for @#$ whipping #2!!!!MadDoc

Wow, didn't know that was considered complaining....oh and FYI its the "Valley of the Sun"

Dunno if your road record agrees with that.

Jimcs50
01-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Well Bowen got torched by Peja, Ray Allen (twice) and TMac already this year. So I don't think he's a shoe-in yet for DPOY. Some people may even argue that Duncan has a better shot at it. But Bruce learns from his mistakes and he watches a lot of tape to improve. So I don't think those three will be going off in the next meeting against the Spurs.

As for the TMac torching, prior to TMac hitting his last 6 miracle shots, he was 6-23 in that game, so Bruce was doing a great job on him defensively up til then. TMac had no open looks in that shooting spree, and just kept hitting miracle shot after shot. Also Bruce was not guarding TMac on the 4 pt play or the last 3 pointer, so I place no blame on Bruce in that game.

ALVAREZ6
01-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Good Job Brucie B!!

Especially in the 4th vs. Denver.

like 3 late 3 pointers to seal game.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-10-2005, 06:23 PM

Just embed the music to "Rocky Top" in this thread and he'll go away.

whottt
01-10-2005, 10:16 PM

Bonzi torched him too.

I hope you are right, that what happened can be corrected if he merely learns from his mistakes, but I don't think Ray Allen and Peja are unknowns to him. I really hope the Ray Allen situation is a fluke since that is a team we are likley to meet in the post season.

I kinda agree with Jim, this is one of the best offensive weeks Bruce has ever had and I think that had a lot to do with his winning it...Of course the main reason he won it was his D...but if he'd just had his typical offensive week I don't think he would have won it either. It's true he is greatly improved on O, but IMO he is off to the worse start defensively of his Spurs career...at least from a consistency standpoint.

I just want to see his D there every night more than his O...I can live without getting O from him as long as he plays D like he has historically...but if Allen and Peja have his number all of a sudden...or remain unknowns, I don't think his improvement on O is good enough to negate what will happen on D. And I still think that we aren't doing ourselves any favors by using Bruce up in the regular season on a lot of teams we could beat without his D...

Anyway, props to Bruce for a good week, and props to him for having a much improved offensive game...

xcoriate
01-11-2005, 12:19 AM
That is SOOO good for Bruce. Keep it up mate, sweet effort.

timvp
01-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Bump for Ghost Writer.

Sup now?