PDA

View Full Version : Moses was 'on acid'

sa_butta
03-05-2008, 11:26 AM
A top academic says Moses was high on hallucinogenic drugs when he received the Ten Commandments from God.

Prof Benny Shannon believes Old Testament tales are records of visions brought on by plants similar to an acid trip, reports The Sun.

The psychology don at Jerusalem's Hebrew University says the Bible's stories suggest "ancient Israelites regarded psycho-active plants in high esteem".

Prof Shannon claims Moses got high on a drink called Ayahuasca, made out of potent plants that grow in southern Israel.

He said: "They constitute the key ingredients of one of the most powerful psychedelic substances in existence."

The professor came up with his theory after trying the drink, still used in religious rituals by the Amazon people, and having similar visions.

He claims five events in Moses' life were inspired by the drug, including the Ten Commandments and the Burning Bush miracle.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2753432.html?menu=

Solid D
03-05-2008, 11:50 AM
The professor came up with his theory after trying the drink

Exactly. :drunk

Herschel Walker
03-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Where can I find this plant? I've been thinking of starting my own religion and need a doctrine. Might as well do it old school.

Supreme_Being
03-05-2008, 12:30 PM
I think I've posted on something like this a while ago...

BonnerDynasty
03-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Oracle at delphi was high on underground gases all the time.

SpursWoman
03-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Exactly. :drunk

:tu :lol

thispego
03-05-2008, 02:10 PM
my faith hath been restored

BigZak
03-05-2008, 03:04 PM
and jesus was a manic depressive...what else is new?

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-05-2008, 03:20 PM
When I first saw the thread title I thought it said Mouse was on acid.

After actually reading, I have to admit this might make sense. The only guy I know who ever actually did acid (in addition to most anything else he could get his hands on) told me about taking a couple of hits at a party, wandering off, and waking up on his uncle's lawn some 7-8 miles away. Under those circumstances I can see how you end up in the desert for 40 years.

Duff McCartney
03-05-2008, 03:27 PM
It's entirely plausible.

whottt
03-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Bullshit...everyone knows they had already had pharmacies back in 1000 BC. No way would have they have used plants for that kind of shit.

Tike Mailer
03-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Whatever.

Phenomanul
03-05-2008, 11:46 PM
He claims five events in Moses' life were inspired by the drug, including the Ten Commandments and the Burning Bush miracle.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2753432.html?menu=

The Burning Bush,
The Rods turning into serpents,
The 10 plagues of Egypt
The Crossing of the 'Red Sea'
The Guiding Cloud by day
The Burning Pillar by night
The Ten Commandments
The Snake on a Rod that healed anyone who looked at it.
Water from the Rock
Mana from Heaven

If only 5 of the supernatural events above were 'acid' induced... What else will Prof Benny Shannon conjure up to explain the other events.

Yeah... :rolleyes

lefty
03-05-2008, 11:50 PM
This Shannon guy (guy?) is an idiot

Heath Ledger
03-06-2008, 02:43 AM
Im gonna go out on a limb and say he was fasting and hallucinated from fasting not from LCD.

Heath Ledger
03-06-2008, 02:43 AM
Since i'm up here i just bumped into him and asked him and he said it was definitely from the fasting.

some_user86
03-06-2008, 03:03 AM
The Burning Bush,
The 10 plagues of Egypt
The Guiding Cloud by day
The Ten Commandments
Water from the Rock
Mana from Heaven

If only 5 of the supernatural events above were 'acid' induced... What else will Prof Benny Shannon conjure up to explain the other events.

Made up by old fogies (or fogettes) the same way Harry Potter or Santa Claus was?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-06-2008, 07:14 AM
The Burning Bush,
The 10 plagues of Egypt
The Guiding Cloud by day
The Ten Commandments
Water from the Rock
Mana from Heaven

So exactly why do these supposed events not continue to manifest themselves?

I wanna see the snake - maybe he can fix my shitty ankles... :lmao

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2008, 09:36 AM
I think butta's been tripping on some acid.

He didn't see my thread:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88756

sa_butta
03-06-2008, 09:44 AM
I think butta's been tripping on some acid.

He didn't see my thread:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88756:lol

I thought it was a hullucination.

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2008, 12:09 PM
:lol

I thought it was a hullucination.

:lol :lol

You've been ripping off Moses' stash.

sa_butta
03-06-2008, 12:15 PM
:lol :lol

You've been ripping off Moses' stash.Nah he's a good friend of mind, we use to hang out
back in the day.

johngateswhiteley
03-06-2008, 12:15 PM
maybe he was high...(shrug)...?

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Nah he's a good friend of mind, we use to hang out
back in the day.

If acid makes you part a significant part of the ocean, I'm getting me some.

phyzik
03-07-2008, 01:11 AM
I wouldnt doubt this shit....

The funny thing about religion is they keep claiming the resurection of their god is at hand but yet shun the guy on the corner claiming to be that resurrected god...

People are fucking stupid. organized religion is even more fucking stupid.

some_user86
03-07-2008, 01:12 AM
If acid makes you part a significant part of the ocean, I'm getting me some.

Only acid can make you believe that BS is true.

You also believe that Voldemort is planning an attack on Hogwarts?

Whisky Dog
03-07-2008, 01:29 AM
I don't know the validity of the basis for religion, but it certainly has been used as a vehicle to control the behaviors of the population for thousands of years. Civilized society relies on it's moral directives to function and there is no better way to control someone than to make them believe they are sick or that their urges are wrong before making them believe you have the answer for them.

mikejones99
03-07-2008, 03:54 AM
Moses Malone

peewee's lovechild
03-07-2008, 08:29 AM

It is written in the book of Rowling.

polandprzem
03-07-2008, 08:37 AM
When I first read this tpic I thoiugh it was about Moses Malone.

Plagues are explainable
Walking through the sea is explainable
Burning bush is explainable

peewee's lovechild
03-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Plagues are explainable
Walking through the sea is explainable
Burning bush is explainable

How about the itch on my left ass cheek?

I can't find an explanation to that.

Why is it only my left cheek?

Extra Stout
03-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Was God on acid when he decided to create humans?

peewee's lovechild
03-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Was God on acid when he decided to create humans?

I don't know about that.
But, according to The Family Guy, he was drunk when he created Rosie O'Donell.

Extra Stout
03-07-2008, 09:28 AM
I don't know about that.
But, according to The Family Guy, he was drunk when he created Rosie O'Donell.
In manufacturing, with any product, some lots will be off-spec.

peewee's lovechild
03-07-2008, 09:35 AM
That explains ATRAIN.

polandprzem
03-07-2008, 01:07 PM
How about the itch on my left ass cheek?

I can't find an explanation to that.

Why is it only my left cheek?

You wanted it on the right cheek?

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-07-2008, 01:32 PM

I guess all of Egypt was on acid simultaneously. Thanks for clearing that up.

peewee's lovechild
03-07-2008, 01:36 PM
You wanted it on the right cheek?

It's easier to reach my right cheek.

peewee's lovechild
03-07-2008, 01:37 PM
I guess all of Egypt was on acid simultaneously. Thanks for clearing that up.

Because Egypt has records of all the plagues that were supposed to have occured.

polandprzem
03-07-2008, 02:48 PM
It's easier to reach my right cheek.

Now you got an explanation

:wink

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Because Egypt has records of all the plagues that were supposed to have occured.

We have God's record, beotch. :tu

peewee's lovechild
03-07-2008, 04:49 PM
We have God's record, beotch. :tu

Written by a guy who was high, biatch.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Written by a guy who was high, biatch.

That's right. I forgot there was an eye witness that he was high.

peewee's lovechild
03-07-2008, 05:10 PM
That's right. I forgot there was an eye witness that he was high.

I forgot that there are still people living that can serve as witnesses to all the plagues that should've occurred in Egypt about 5,000 years ago.

Phenomanul
03-07-2008, 07:37 PM

Just for the record, sulfur domes (aka brimstone) were found in Egypt in 2001, in the Nile river valley area (i.e. areas that would have harbored ancient egyptian cities).

No active volcanoes or techtonic hot-spots are around... the closest ones are in the northern Mediterranean Coast and the Mt Kilamanjaro area 1000 miles to the south.

But skeptics will be skeptics.... whatever. :drunk

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-07-2008, 08:56 PM

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I forgot that there are still people living that can serve as witnesses to all the plagues that should've occurred in Egypt about 5,000 years ago.

There are 'witnesses'. They're called Jews. They even have notes called the Torah. I'm sure anyone of Jewish heritage who is up on his history would testify to the validity of those events. These are the direct decendents of those happennings from 5,000 years ago.

So you have your witnesses which I suppose means that you're now convinced. I'm impressed by your ability to accept the truth. Congratulations. :tu

Next.

03-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Anyone else but me at first blush read the title of this as "Mouse On Acid"?

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-07-2008, 09:21 PM

:lol

Not quite as unbelievable.

marini martini
03-07-2008, 09:38 PM

Every time I visit the club, that's what it looks like to me, also :lol :smokin :lol

phyzik
03-08-2008, 02:14 AM
I wish I could freeze myself and be ressurected 5000 yrs. from now.... Everyone will believe The Lord of The Rings is the fucking truth of our past. Hell, they have a show on History channel that shows proof of a hobbit! It must be fucking fact!

The bible is nothing more than a story based off of some very simple truths. Weak minded people need it to verify their existance. fuck 'em. Let them live by some pre-concieved notion that we are bound by some "laws" a supposed higher being gave to us but has yet to show himself in the past 2000 fucking years except on tortillas and dorito chips.

Whats going to be even more entertaining is if this shit actually is true and everyone disregards the hobo on the side of the street who really is Jesus re-incarnate! :lol

Keep moving along sheep....

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I wish I could freeze myself and be ressurected 5000 yrs. from now.... Everyone will believe The Lord of The Rings is the fucking truth of our past. Hell, they have a show on History channel that shows proof of a hobbit! It must be fucking fact!

The bible is nothing more than a story based off of some very simple truths. Weak minded people need it to verify their existance. fuck 'em. Let them live by some pre-concieved notion that we are bound by some "laws" a supposed higher being gave to us but has yet to show himself in the past 2000 fucking years except on tortillas and dorito chips.

Whats going to be even more entertaining is if this shit actually is true and everyone disregards the hobo on the side of the street who really is Jesus re-incarnate! :lol

Keep moving along sheep....

I'm surprised by how many peeps have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to the possibility of a reality beyond this simple world around them that they can see, touch and smell, and then are angry at the people that are lucky enough to have such beliefs. The truly weak minded are the ones who can't open their minds to anything more.

BigZak
03-08-2008, 03:17 PM
people strongest in the christian faith, few and far between admittedly, have the ability to do things that the rest of our 'weak' minds simply could not handle...

boutons_
03-08-2008, 03:54 PM
"have the ability to do things"

Do you have any verifiable evidence for this claim?

Or is it just another claim such as New Earth creationism. :)

Extra Stout
03-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Team Moses!! (http://dinkandflika.blogspot.com/2008/03/team-moses.html)

http://www.thejewishlife.com/wp-content/plugins/auto-blogster/images/moses.jpg

A “researcher” at Hebrew University has published a study that claims Moses was high on drugs when he was given the Ten Commandments by God. I am having trouble figuring out why this is news and why Benny Shannon (the researcher) would even waste time “studying” this. If anyone has seen “History of the World Part II” then you know that Moses was in fact sober and was given 15 Commandments but dropped 5 of them. If Benny Shannon had done any research at all, he could have saved us all the trouble of making fun of him.

The real motivation behind this thesis is to make Benny feel better about his own drug use. According to the article:

"He mentioned his own experience when he used ayahuasca, a powerful psychotropic plant, during a religious ceremony in Brazil's Amazon forest in 1991. "I experienced visions that had spiritual-religious connotations," Shanon said."

So he figures that if he can bring big Moses down a notch or two, then he will be living large. However he is just a hater all around. His conclusion is based on strong evidence like this:

“As far Moses on Mount Sinai is concerned, it was either a supernatural cosmic event, which I don't believe, or a legend, which I don't believe either, or finally, and this is very probable, an event that joined Moses and the people of Israel under the effect of narcotics."

I had always been under the impression that academic papers and “studies” actually had to have documentable evidence not just hearsay and personal experience with drugs. I wonder if the footnotes cite the Amazonian (is that a word?) religious experience in reference to Moses’ visions (hopefully in correct MLA format). Good try Benny…I for one am on Team Moses.

whottt
03-08-2008, 04:08 PM
It's true...people didn't figure out you could use plants to get high on until reefer madness came out. Damn hippies.

Death In June
03-08-2008, 05:05 PM
I doubt ayahuasca was the main psychotropic substance the jews were taking. While it makes sense that they were fucked up on something, I think mushrooms are probably closer to the truth. In the bible, they describe mana as a bread composed of the flesh of god, which is a term that amazonian indians use to describe psyilocibin mushrooms. They describe the cultivation patterns of mana in detail and they match up reasonably well with the growth and cultivation of psyilocibin containing species. Also, the arid conditions of the desert are probably more conducive to mushroom growth than any of the 5meodmt/dmt cotaning shrubs needed to brew ayahuasca. Somewhere in the bible, though I don't remember where, they describe the experience as seeing as god does and might go a long ways in explaining why they were lost in the desert for so many years. As far as ayahuasca being compared to LSD, I don't think it's a fair comparison. LSD is laughably tame compared to DMT.
Im gonna go out on a limb and say he was fasting and hallucinated from fasting not from LCD.This made me laugh.

Solid D
03-10-2008, 01:17 AM
In the bible, they describe mana as a bread composed of the flesh of god, which is a term that amazonian indians use to describe psyilocibin mushrooms. They describe the cultivation patterns of mana in detail and they match up reasonably well with the growth and cultivation of psyilocibin containing species. Also, the arid conditions of the desert are probably more conducive to mushroom growth than any of the 5meodmt/dmt cotaning shrubs needed to brew ayahuasca..

Where? Verse and translation please.

Pure, unabashed bunk, Death In June!!!

Fillmoe
03-10-2008, 01:52 AM
i just popped some vics and smoked some piff.... am i cooler now then i was 30 minutes ago?

marini martini
03-10-2008, 02:05 AM
I just had a martini, took an ativan, all is cool in my world!

Fillmoe
03-10-2008, 02:09 AM
you wanna give me some head now?

marini martini
03-10-2008, 02:15 AM
In your dreams, sweetie pie! Night night................................ :sleep :sleep

E20
03-10-2008, 02:18 AM
I wonder if Marini Martini is a MILF?

marini martini
03-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Nope, I'm a Gilf :toast

Older than dirt cooler than shit :lol

Feels like a number!

Fillmoe
03-10-2008, 02:28 AM
dont hype ya self up..... lol

marini martini
03-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Like wise A,. hole..Rotflamao!

Fillmoe
03-10-2008, 02:35 AM
far from an A HOLE........ pop another ativan and calm down! lol

marini martini
03-10-2008, 02:39 AM
I'm so popped, I am sayin' Goodnight! Sweetdreams!

Fillmoe
03-10-2008, 02:40 AM
pzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Just for the record, sulfur domes (aka brimstone) were found in Egypt in 2001, in the Nile river valley area (i.e. areas that would have harbored ancient egyptian cities).

No active volcanoes or techtonic hot-spots are around... the closest ones are in the northern Mediterranean Coast and the Mt Kilamanjaro area 1000 miles to the south.

But skeptics will be skeptics.... whatever. :drunk

There is a tectonic plate there.

Which also could serve to explain the parting of the sea that Moses was supposed to have done.

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2008, 10:00 AM
There are 'witnesses'. They're called Jews. They even have notes called the Torah. I'm sure anyone of Jewish heritage who is up on his history would testify to the validity of those events. These are the direct decendents of those happennings from 5,000 years ago.

So you have your witnesses which I suppose means that you're now convinced. I'm impressed by your ability to accept the truth. Congratulations. :tu

Next.

Ancient Romans believed that Reemus and Romulus (twin brothers) were breast fed by wolves after their mother died.

Later, Romulus killed his twin brother and the nation of Rome was born.

That would be an accurate historical fact, using your rationale.

The Mayans believed that the sun had sex with the moon.

Accurate historical record, according to your rationale.

I could go on and on.

Phenomanul
03-10-2008, 01:50 PM
There is a tectonic plate there.

Ummmm... The Red Sea and the Nile River Valley aren't interchangeble. Again, no hot spot there. The Arabian Plate and The African Plate are moving away from each other.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/hegamboa/Tectonicmap.gif

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/hegamboa/map_quakes_volcanoes_plates.gif

Which also could serve to explain the parting of the sea that Moses was supposed to have done.

If that premise were true, it would still be amazing by all acounts. The supernatural doesn't all have to begin from scratch. Some of it can be pre-orchestrated by the Chief Architect. GOD knew enough about the geology of the area to command Moses when to raise his staff and part the Sea. That tectonic rift, however runs axially with the Red Sea not traversely - so even that theory would have its holes.

Personally, I believe it to be a literal event, one that most forget also destroyed the Pharaoh and his army.

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2008, 02:02 PM
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/8297/redseanilelabeledsmdm9.jpg

As you can see, the Red Sea and the Nile River almost converge. It's entirely plausible that there was a shift, and a subsequent lava flow that caused sulfuric deposits into the Nile.

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Oh, and here's some information from NASA.

I though you might find this useful:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2006/volcano_nile.html

Historic Volcanic Eruption Shrunk the Mighty Nile River11.21.06 Volcanic eruptions in high-latitudes can greatly alter climate and distant river flows, including the Nile, according to a recent study funded in part by NASA.

Researchers found that Iceland's Laki volcanic event, a series of about ten eruptions from June 1783 through February 1784, significantly changed atmospheric circulations across much of the Northern Hemisphere. This created unusual temperature and precipitation patterns that peaked in the summer of 1783, including far below normal rainfall over much of the Nile River watershed and record low river levels.

The study provides new evidence that large volcanic eruptions north of the equator often have far different impacts on climate than those in the tropics. "While considerable research has shown that eruptions in the tropics influence climate in the Northern Hemisphere winter, this study indicates that eruptions in high-latitudes produce changes in atmospheric circulation in the Northern Hemisphere summer," said lead author Luke Oman, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, N.J.

Using a sophisticated computer model developed by NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, New York, the researchers linked the Laki eruptions to a cascade of effects that rippled across much of the Northern Hemisphere, altering surface temperatures that ultimately resulted in much below normal rainfall over the Sahel of Africa and record low water levels on the Nile River for up to a year. The Sahel is a stretch of land from the Atlantic Ocean to the "Horn of Africa" that includes the Sahara Desert and savanna areas with sparse vegetation.

"These findings may help us improve our predictions of climate response following the next strong high-latitude eruption, specifically concerning changes in temperature and precipitation," said Oman. "Many societies are very dependent on seasonal precipitation for their livelihood and these predictions may ultimately allow communities time to plan for consequences, including impacts on regional food and water supplies."

The Laki event had such a significant impact on the climate because it released large amounts of sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere. When combined with water vapor, the gas formed into tiny particles called aerosols that reduced incoming solar radiation, cooling the average temperature over Northern Hemisphere land masses by as much as 3 degrees Celsius (5.4 degrees Fahrenheit) in the summer of 1783, as simulated with the computer model. Tree ring data also showed significantly reduced tree growth in the summer of 1783, indicative of the coolest summer of the last 400 years in northwestern Alaska, while tree growth in parts of Siberia was the least in 500-600 years.

These unusually cool temperatures reduced the temperature difference between the land masses of Eurasia and Africa and the Indian and Atlantic oceans, weakening the African and Indian monsoon. A monsoon is a seasonal shift in wind direction and in this region marks the return of the rainy season. Without a significant temperature contrast between land and ocean, onshore winds weaken, reducing the inland transport of moisture and rainfall in the region.

In contrast to the cooling over Northern Hemisphere land masses, computer simulations showed the weakening monsoon led to an area of significant warming of 1 to 2 degrees Celsius (1.8 to 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) over the Sahel of Africa, southern Arabian Peninsula, and India in the summer of 1783. The researchers believe the weaker-than-normal monsoon reduced the cloud cover in the region, allowing more of the sun's energy to reach the surface, raising temperatures and further worsening drought conditions.

Computer model simulations also showed that this reduction in cloud cover was consistent with a decline in summer precipitation. "Some of the driest weather occurred over the Nile and Niger River watersheds," said Oman. "The relative lack of cloud cover and increased temperature likely amplified evaporation, further lessening water available for run-off."

To see what effect major high-latitude volcanic eruptions have on rainfall and river levels, the researchers used records on the height of the Nile River that date back to 622 A.D. Record low Nile River water levels occurred in 1783-1784 following the Laki event. Similarly low levels were observed after the Mount Katmai, Alaska, eruption in 1912, when the Niger River was also at a record low. And in 939 A.D. there was also low Nile River flow following the Eldgjá eruption in Iceland. "Our analysis found there is less than a 3 percent chance that the Laki and Katmai low river flow events could be attributed to natural climate variability," said Oman.

Unlike the Laki and Katmai eruptions, similarly powerful eruptions in the tropics usually release aerosols high into the atmosphere, where they can spread around much of the globe for up to two years. As a result, tropical eruptions can influence climate around the world, but often in a different and less dramatic fashion. For instance, the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines in 1991 resulted in upper atmospheric warming, but the aerosols also blocked heat from the sun in the lower atmosphere, cooling surface temperatures in the subtropics. This worked to reduce the difference in temperatures from north to south, altering large-scale atmospheric circulations that resulted in changes to other areas, including warmer-than-normal winters over the Northern Hemisphere.

The study, funded by NASA, the National Science Foundation, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, was published in the September 30, 2006, issue of the American Geophysical Union's Geophysical Research Letters.

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2008, 02:13 PM
From Geology News (http://geology.com/news/labels/Volcanoes.html)

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Climate Impact of High Latitude Volcanic Eruptions

Researchers in a NASA/NSF/NOAA funded study have identified connections between high latitude volcanic eruptions and periods of low water flow in African rivers. Using computer models they linked Iceland's Laki Volcanic Event (a series of about ten eruptions that occurred between June 1783 and February 1784) to the lowest water levels in the Nile River in a historical record dating back to 622 AD.

Using computer models developed by NASA they found that the Laki Volcanic Event altered surface temperature patterns that produced extremely low levels of rainfall across much of Africa. The initial atmospheric response to the eruption was a decline in global temperatures. This temperature decline produced a reduced temperature difference between land and ocean. Without that temperature contrast, onshore winds weakened and the delivery of moisture and rainfall from the ocean was severely reduced.

In addition to low flows on the Nile River during 1783 and 1784 in response to the Laki Volcanic Event, low water levels were observed on the Niger River after the Novarupta eruption of 1912, and on the Nile River after the Eldgia (Iceland) eruption of 939 AD.

Phenomanul
03-10-2008, 10:29 PM
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/8297/redseanilelabeledsmdm9.jpg

As you can see, the Red Sea and the Nile River almost converge. It's entirely plausible that there was a shift, and a subsequent lava flow that caused sulfuric deposits into the Nile.

So the erosive forces that eliminated any evidence of igneous rock layers (or swept them out to the Mediterranean) eroded everything but the sulfur? Unlikely....

Phenomanul
03-10-2008, 10:31 PM
From Geology News (http://geology.com/news/labels/Volcanoes.html)

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Climate Impact of High Latitude Volcanic Eruptions

Researchers in a NASA/NSF/NOAA funded study have identified connections between high latitude volcanic eruptions and periods of low water flow in African rivers. Using computer models they linked Iceland's Laki Volcanic Event (a series of about ten eruptions that occurred between June 1783 and February 1784) to the lowest water levels in the Nile River in a historical record dating back to 622 AD.

Using computer models developed by NASA they found that the Laki Volcanic Event altered surface temperature patterns that produced extremely low levels of rainfall across much of Africa. The initial atmospheric response to the eruption was a decline in global temperatures. This temperature decline produced a reduced temperature difference between land and ocean. Without that temperature contrast, onshore winds weakened and the delivery of moisture and rainfall from the ocean was severely reduced.

In addition to low flows on the Nile River during 1783 and 1784 in response to the Laki Volcanic Event, low water levels were observed on the Niger River after the Novarupta eruption of 1912, and on the Nile River after the Eldgia (Iceland) eruption of 939 AD.

These are interesting articles... but they have nothing to do with the presence of sulfur in Egypt.

Death In June
03-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Where? Verse and translation please.

Pure, unabashed bunk, Death In June!!!"Exodus 16:14-24 indicates that MANNA was inevitably a MUSHROOM.
It was a small round thing in the morning dew, it bred larva, and would melt to mush if not dried. KING JAMES VERSION.
All mushroom pickers know that fly’s eggs cause larvae/worms in mushrooms. The one food most notorious for being full of worms.

Daniel 5:3-5 with Exodus 16:32 and Hebrews 9:4
indicates that the mushroom was a DRUG. After sacking the temple in Jerusalem and stealing the Ark-of-the-Covenant, the King of Babylon and his table drank from the golden cup containing the holy “MANNA” they had visions within the hour….. Psilocybin takes 30-40 minutes to induce visions.

Hebrews 9:4 makes it clear that MANNA was the most holy thing to Israelites, kept in A POT OF GOLD in the ARK OF THE COVENANT, in the MOST HOLY OF HOLYS. So sacred is the Manna that only the High Priest has access to it and only on one day of the year (Yom Kippur), which comes 3 days before the harvest moon (Hallows Eve).

Psalm 78:24-25 calls MANNA FOOD OF ANGELS, just as MAYAN/INCA PRIESTS from Meso-America called it TEONANACATL FOOD OF THE GODS.
MANNA is an Egyptian word, not Hebrew or Aramaic, meaning;
The BREAD OF GOD. This is what Moses called it in Exodus 16:15.
“Bread Of God” means “FOOD OF GOD”, which is the same meaning of TEONANACATL (Mayan), and AMBROSIA (Greek), and SOMA (Hindu) a word for mushroom tea, all these words mean “Spiritual Food”.
Coca and Tobacco Leaves found in Pharaohs tombs suggest it was ancestors of Mayan/Inca Priests who brought MUSHROOMS to Egypt."
You can find many more references around the internet. Those are just a couple I googled.

Solid D
03-10-2008, 11:53 PM
First of all, getting back to the original premise of this thread, Dr. Shannon theorized that Moses got high on a drink called Ayahuasca, made out of potent plants that grow in southern Israel. He came up with the theory after drinking some of it.

Moses did not live in Southern Israel (nor the area that is now Southern Israel). He was born in Egypt and then settled in Midian, east of the Dead Sea, in what is now Saudi Arabia and Southern Jordan. Moses never entered the Promised Land of Canaan which includes Southern Israel, instead living out his days east of the Jordan River.

It's all circular logic. Create a theory AFTER partaking of a psychodelic substance and state that Moses must have had that substance too because that type of substance can be derived from plants in Southern Israel, a place where Moses did not live.

Secondly, the Bible does not refer to manna as the Flesh of God as you say it was. That was bunk, as I said before.

Death In June
03-11-2008, 12:31 AM
First of all, getting back to the original premise of this thread, Dr. Shannon theorized that Moses got high on a drink called Ayahuasca, made out of potent plants that grow in southern Israel. He came up with the theory after drinking some of it.

Moses did not live in Southern Israel (nor the area that is now Southern Israel). He was born in Egypt and then settled in Midian, east of the Dead Sea, in what is now Saudi Arabia and Southern Jordan. Moses never entered the Promised Land of Canaan which includes Southern Israel, instead living out his days east of the Jordan River.

It's all circular logic. Create a theory AFTER partaking of a psychodelic substance and state that Moses must have had that substance too because that type of substance can be derived from plants in Southern Israel, a place where Moses did not live.

Secondly, the Bible does not refer to manna as the Flesh of God as you say it was. That was bunk, as I said before.Well, I was going by memory. So you could see where I might confuse flesh of god with bread from god. I don't think it makes that much of a difference in the point I was trying to make.

Solid D
03-11-2008, 01:00 AM
My points come from historical and Biblical study and common sense. Some of your latest points appear to be basically cut and pasted from here MANNA Magic Mushrooms http://people.tribe.net/aman-mana/blog/cf0b17d5-feda-4fc4-9f03-e8153a2e6210

BTW, the word manna (Strong's definition #4478) used in Exodus 16 originally written in Hebrew means "what is it?" because the Israelites, as it says in Exodus 16, did not know what it was.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Ancient Romans believed that Reemus and Romulus (twin brothers) were breast fed by wolves after their mother died.

Later, Romulus killed his twin brother and the nation of Rome was born.

That would be an accurate historical fact, using your rationale.

The Mayans believed that the sun had sex with the moon.

Accurate historical record, according to your rationale.

I could go on and on.

The point is that there won't be a historical source from several thousand years ago 'credible' enough to convince someone who can't take some of it on faith.

I just find it interesting that folks start salivating at the opportunity to believe in some scientist's theory about Moses that obviously is just a random unsubstantiated guess.

In my opinion, the scriptures hold more credibility than some guy making random guesses about historical events behind the guise of scientific research. But people are awfully quick to support an unfounded theory and dismiss scripture when it helps to support their idea that God does not exist or that miracles didn't actually occur.

5,000 years from now people will likely look at our views of the world and universe and likely laugh at our current lack of understanding of it all.

My unscientific theory is that when all is said and done people will realize that the scriptures weren't that far off, and we'll probably gain a greater understanding as to the symbolism a lot of it represents as our true knowledge of the world around us grows.

Death In June
03-11-2008, 01:46 AM
My points come from historical and Biblical study and common sense. Some of your latest points appear to be basically cut and pasted from here MANNA Magic Mushrooms http://people.tribe.net/aman-mana/blog/cf0b17d5-feda-4fc4-9f03-e8153a2e6210
.No kidding? That's why my later points were all in quotes and I actually mentioned in that post that it came from a quick google search. I really don't care enough to dispute you though. Shrooms or no, it doesnt effect me in the slightest.

Fillmoe
03-11-2008, 03:42 AM
Piffery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peewee's lovechild
03-11-2008, 07:56 AM
These are interesting articles... but they have nothing to do with the presence of sulfur in Egypt.

The Nile flows upstream.

Volcanic activity flowing into the Nile from mid and east Africa could easily deposit sulfur into the Nile. The remnants that did not flow into the Mediterranean could easily be collected on the bank of the Nile.

Extra Stout
03-11-2008, 08:10 AM
I just find it interesting that folks start salivating at the opportunity to believe in some scientist's theory about Moses that obviously is just a random unsubstantiated guess.
You've expressed something I've been trying to figure out the right way to say for a few days.

I suppose I had a notion of agnostics as people whose sense of reason and logic simply did not lead them to the conclusion of a personal God, whether that sense was based upon evidence or personal ontological philosophy or whatever. That seems to be a very different animal from the one who latches onto wild speculation and tries to pass it off as solid evidence. That is more like the person who just does not want to believe, for whatever reason, and grasps onto whatever he can find to buttress that belief. It is the same family of intellectual dishonesty one might find in a creation scientist -- one comes to a conclusion first, and then cherry-picks evidence to back it up.