PDA

View Full Version : Supervolcano - Yellowstone National Park

SLOVENIAN 8
01-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Man! That is scary! :wow

Hidden deep beneath the Earth's surface lie one of the most destructive and yet least-understood natural phenomena in the world - supervolcanoes. Only a handful exist in the world but when one erupts it will be unlike any volcano we have ever witnessed. The explosion will be heard around the world. The sky will darken, black rain will fall, and the Earth will be plunged into the equivalent of a nuclear winter.

Normal volcanoes are formed by a column of magma - molten rock - rising from deep within the Earth, erupting on the surface, and hardening in layers down the sides. This forms the familiar cone shaped mountain we associate with volcanoes. Supervolcanoes, however, begin life when magma rises from the mantle to create a boiling reservoir in the Earth's crust. This chamber increases to an enormous size, building up colossal pressure until it finally erupts.

The last supervolcano to erupt was Toba 74,000 years ago in Sumatra. Ten thousand times bigger than Mt St Helens, it created a global catastrophe dramatically affecting life on Earth. Scientists know that another one is due - they just don't know when... or where.

It is little known that lying underneath one of America's areas of outstanding natural beauty - Yellowstone Park - is one of the largest supervolcanoes in the world. Scientists have revealed that it has been on a regular eruption cycle of 600,000 years. The last eruption was 640,000 years ago... so the next is overdue.

And the sleeping giant is breathing: volcanologists have been tracking the movement of magma under the park and have calculated that in parts of Yellowstone the ground has risen over seventy centimetres this century. Is this just the harmless movement of lava, flowing from one part of the reservoir to another? Or does it presage something much more sinister, a pressurised build-up of molten lava?

Scientists have very few answers, but they do know that the impact of a Yellowstone eruption is terrifying to comprehend. Huge areas of the USA would be destroyed, the US economy would probably collapse, and thousands might die.

And it would devastate the planet. Climatologists now know that Toba blasted so much ash and sulphur dioxide into the stratosphere that it blocked out the sun, causing the Earth's temperature to plummet. Some geneticists now believe that this had a catastrophic effect on human life, possibly reducing the population on Earth to just a few thousand people. Mankind was pushed to the edge of extinction... and it could happen again. (BBC)

http://exodus2006.com/supervol.html

SpursWoman
01-10-2005, 04:42 PM
:wow :wow

3rdCoast
01-10-2005, 04:46 PM
i count the days...

timvp
01-10-2005, 04:50 PM
I'd survive.

:smokin

SLOVENIAN 8
01-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Man i am happy that i am far away from there!

MannyIsGod
01-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Doesn't matter how far from there you are. When that thing goes, it's night time for the planet.

SLOVENIAN 8
01-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Doesn't matter how far from there you are. When that thing goes, it's night time for the planet.

Yest that is true, but here in SLO not so scary than in USA.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Depends on how you want to go. Do you want to die in the initial explosion, or do you want to starve to death?

Nbadan
01-10-2005, 05:06 PM
And the sleeping giant is breathing: volcanologists have been tracking the movement of magma under the park and have calculated that in parts of Yellowstone the ground has risen over seventy centimetres this century. Is this just the harmless movement of lava, flowing from one part of the reservoir to another? Or does it presage something much more sinister, a pressurised build-up of molten lava?

I visit the Yellowstone area almost every year and if one of the cauldrons in the Park was going to erupt we would be seeing a lot more than just Yellowstone Lake rising in some parts. There are many hot spots in the Park, it is a living volcano after all, I love to go hot-podding, but there is more danger of getting mauled by a grizzly, a pack of wolves, or a bison than you'll face from any of the natural attractions.

bigzak25
01-10-2005, 05:10 PM
we are all getting closer to death by the day....just live yo lives and enjoy the ride. tomorrow is not promised. but that's pretty cool about yellowstone...it right where a couple of plates meet isn't it...err fault lines?

MannyIsGod
01-10-2005, 05:14 PM
I visit the Yellowstone area almost every year and if one of the cauldrons in the Park was going to erupt we would be seeing a lot more than just Yellowstone Lake rising in some parts. There are many hot spots in the Park, it is a living volcano after all, I love to go hot-podding, but there is more danger of getting mauled by a grizzly, a pack of wolves, or a bison than you'll face from any of the natural attractions.

So you'll hype the end of the world from Iran, but not from something that ctually exsists?

You're right though, an iminent eruption would show more signs.

Useruser666
01-10-2005, 05:41 PM
So you'll hype the end of the world from Iran, but not from something that ctually exsists?

You're right though, an iminent eruption would show more signs.

Bush is covering it up by focusing our attention in Iraq.

Hook Dem
01-10-2005, 06:41 PM
And now add to that a raving lunatic liberal. Damn! Is nothing sacred anymore! :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-10-2005, 06:43 PM
^^^^^^^^^ lol @ Manny

AlamoSpursFan
01-10-2005, 08:28 PM

I don't know about y'all, but I'm heading for the library right NOW!

scott
01-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Call me a skeptic, but I just have trouble accepting this from the website www.exodus2006.com that has this on its main page in addition to links to "bible code" predicting disaster and OH is part of the Rastafari webring.

Join the retreat into the Ethiopian mountains - near to the town of Axum - where the Ark of the Covenant is kept.

Sounds like a good premise for a Jerry Brucheimer film though.

travis2
01-11-2005, 07:56 AM
:rolleyes

A "Bible Code" follower?

Ummmmm...I'll risk the eruption and stay around here, thank you...

MannyIsGod
01-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Well, the event will eventually happen one day, it's been pretty well documented. BUt yeah, the site is just exploting that to scare people.

AlamoSpursFan
01-11-2005, 08:29 AM
Join the retreat into the Ethiopian mountains - near to the town of Axum - where the Ark of the Covenant is kept.

Don't these idiots know the ark is in a huge warehouse somewhere in America?

Sincerely,
Indiana Jones

SpursWoman
01-11-2005, 08:40 AM

Follow me everyone...... :devil

http://www.bright.net/~dapoets/koolaid.jpg

MannyIsGod
01-11-2005, 08:58 AM
:lmao hahahahahah!!!! that's classic shit.