PDA

View Full Version : Protest upheld - anyone hear this?

GSH
03-05-2008, 01:41 PM
1/11/08
In a rarity, the NBA upheld Miami's protest of the December 19 game at
Atlanta. Atlanta led 114-111 with 51.9 seconds left in overtime when the
scoring table ruled that Shaquille O'Neal (MIA) had collected his 6th
foul and, thus, was disqualified when it was actually only O'Neal's 5th
foul. Atlanta went on to win the game 117-111. That game is now invalid
(with Atlanta losing a win and Miami losing a loss in the current
standings) and the game will be replayed starting with 51.9 seconds left
and the score 114-111 Atlanta on March 8 prior to the scheduled Miami at
Atlanta game (the replay game will occur and then the teams will play a
full game). The Hawks were also fined $50,000 for the mistake. It was
the first time since December 1982 that the NBA upheld a protest.

It seems kind of ridiculous, since the Heat have the worst record in the league and Shaq is no longer with the team. I never considered just how hard it would be to work out an upheld protest. I wonder what they would have done if the two teams didn't have another game scheduled for this season? I wonder if they will televise the 51.9 second side-show?

sprrs
03-05-2008, 01:51 PM
The Hawks will be fined for the mistake? Sounds like BS to me.

duncan228
03-05-2008, 01:54 PM
There was lots of conversation when it was announced.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84864

MoSpur
03-05-2008, 01:55 PM
How stupid is that? Miami is going nowhere.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2008, 01:57 PM
As was the case with Miami in that game, the Heat will be better without Shaq.

GSH
03-05-2008, 02:03 PM
There was lots of conversation when it was announced.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84864

I didn't see the original thread. I just thought it was odd that the justification for the protest was that Miami was not allowed to put Shaq on the floor. Now Shaq isn't even on the team, so they are going to re-play the end of the game... without Shaq on the floor. It is just giving Miami do-overs on the end of that game.

Atlanta is hanging on for the 8th spot in the East. Won't their fans be thrilled if they lose the do-over, and miss the playoffs by 1 game?

Heh... wish they'd have given us do-overs on the .4 game.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Heh... wish they'd have given us do-overs on the .4 game.
Since the Spurs couldn't shoot over 30 percent the next game and got the crap beat out of them, it wouldn't have mattered even if Fisher's shot had been incorrectly ruled a basket, which it wasn't.

GSH
03-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Since the Spurs couldn't shoot over 30 percent the next game and got the crap beat out of them, it wouldn't have mattered even if Fisher's shot had been incorrectly ruled a basket, which it wasn't.

I never said anything about the .4 shot being legit or not. Just that it would be nice to get do-overs. (I guess I need to make my sarcasm a little more obvious.)

I don't see how playing the end of that game without Shaq on the floor can make any sense. They already played the end of the game without him. They are re-doing something that has already been decided. Without Shaq on the floor, the Heat lost the game. And with .4 seconds on the clock, the Spurs lost the game.

The point is it's just really hard to create any kind of protest scenario that makes sense.

ancestron
03-05-2008, 02:22 PM
The Spurs should protest the .4 game, and if the Spurs win, all the playoff games after it should be replayed with current rosters.

duncan228
03-05-2008, 02:24 PM
I didn't see the original thread.

I only referenced it so anyone who missed it could see what people were saying when it happened.

SenorSpur
03-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Don't tell Mark Cuban. He'll want to replay every controversial sequence of every game, in question.

TampaDude
03-05-2008, 02:37 PM
The Spurs should protest the .4 game, and if the Spurs win, all the playoff games after it should be replayed with current rosters.

Hell yeah! Five-peat! :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

YoMamaIsCallin
03-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I should protest the parents I was born to, and request a reset back to my childhood with new, more supportive and caring parents.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Don't tell Mark Cuban. He'll want to replay every controversial sequence of every game, in question, where the Mavericks were on the losing end.

Appended for accuracy.

ancestron
03-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Slippery slope.

MajorMike
03-05-2008, 03:23 PM
I think we did protest .4, and lost.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2008, 03:50 PM
I think the league should make the Heat play with Shaq for the 51 seconds just to give them the same competetive disadvantage. I'm sure the Suns would be happy to loan him out for the night.