PDA

View Full Version : Mouse might know....

phyzik
03-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Hey Mouse, Im trying to make a bootable thumb drive with miniPE. Im sure I could eventually figure it out, I think I just need to create a ramdisk but Im not sure.

you know anything about miniPE? Its kinda like BartPE (if your even familiar with either).

If not, you should check both of them out, Im not lieing when I say they are the ultimate boot disks. Normally run off CD but I KNOW it can be done on a thumb drive.

Al Gore
03-05-2008, 11:53 PM
About time someone is using the PC to move toward the future.........just think You walk up to a computer, any computer, plug in your thumb drive and viola, there's your profile or even your own operating system with all of your own stuff. Independent of what is on the PC you just plugged into.

Well that future is now. You can now buy or build a thumb drive with software that will provide you with everything you need. Well Sort of! You get an operating system, a list of applications and storage space for your data.

There are a couple of products which you can buy right off the shelf.

Black Dog @ http://www.projectblackdog.com/ $199 Worlds smallest Linux server.

I kind of like this one.
Computer-on-a-stick from @ http://www.fingergear.com/ $59 USB Flash Drive featuring its own ultra fast Operating System, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint compatible applications, Email, Firefox, and more...

Then there is the do-it-yourself models, most are designed to be boot CD's but with a little search and work you can make your own.

BartPE @ http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ FREE is a load of your own Windows OS for CD however with a little work it can be put on a Bootable Thumb Drive

MiniPE @ http://jacksonian.ca/brian/info/miniPE.htm

ubcd @ http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Then there's the almighty Windows XP Preinstallation Environment or

WinPE @ http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303891

I first set up a bootable thumbdrive using HP's Flash Drive Format program. Then I stumbled onto BartPE. I haven't gotten BartPE onto a thumbdrive just yet but I'm working on it.

I am in the process of downloading MiniPE as a Ghost image. and I plan to ghost a thumbdrive with it, if all goes as planed. I have read that it works great but we'll see.

nacho
03-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Hey PHYZIK are you the vato that sells PC's and parts? I am going to set up a shop in June do you have site or a list of what you have?
Thanks!

phyzik
03-06-2008, 12:17 AM
About time someone is using the PC to move toward the future.........just think You walk up to a computer, any computer, plug in your thumb drive and viola, there's your profile or even your own operating system with all of your own stuff. Independent of what is on the PC you just plugged into.

Well that future is now. You can now buy or build a thumb drive with software that will provide you with everything you need. Well Sort of! You get an operating system, a list of applications and storage space for your data.

There are a couple of products which you can buy right off the shelf.

Black Dog @ http://www.projectblackdog.com/ $199 Worlds smallest Linux server.

I kind of like this one.
Computer-on-a-stick from @ http://www.fingergear.com/ $59 USB Flash Drive featuring its own ultra fast Operating System, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint compatible applications, Email, Firefox, and more...

Then there is the do-it-yourself models, most are designed to be boot CD's but with a little search and work you can make your own.

BartPE @ http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ FREE is a load of your own Windows OS for CD however with a little work it can be put on a Bootable Thumb Drive

MiniPE @ http://jacksonian.ca/brian/info/miniPE.htm

ubcd @ http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Then there's the almighty Windows XP Preinstallation Environment or

WinPE @ http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303891

I first set up a bootable thumbdrive using HP's Flash Drive Format program. Then I stumbled onto BartPE. I haven't gotten BartPE onto a thumbdrive just yet but I'm working on it.

I am in the process of downloading MiniPE as a Ghost image. and I plan to ghost a thumbdrive with it, if all goes as planed. I have read that it works great but we'll see.

I got BartPE to work on a thumb drive just today using PEBuilder, but you have to buy the full version for it to work all the time, otherwise it just erases the boot sector everytime you boot with the thumb drive. Im considering buying it because I like BartPE but a client of mine wants miniPE.

Im using HP's flash drive format but I think miniPE has its own way of doing things, its wierd. You cant just copy the CD over to the thumb drive once its been formatted. It wont recognize it as a bootable disk drive. For example, to get Ad-aware on BartPE you just install it then copy the executable file and some other stuff over into the application folder then just make a build, but miniPE has packaged everything of Ad-aware into just one executable file, no installation required. pretty crazy. I know I will figure it out eventually but its aggrivating.

Im sure it has something to do with creating a ramdisk to load an ISO of miniPE. Or maybe I could get a good working ghost image of miniPE and apply it to the thumb drive.

Im actually compiling a build of WinPE to try it out on the thumb drive as I type this just to see if I can get it to work.

Hey PHYZIK are you the vato that sells PC's and parts? I am going to set up a shop in June do you have site or a list of what you have?
Thanks!

No, I dont sell any computer parts. Im just a lowly tech for Southwest Research institute trying to make the scientists happy :drunk

mouse
03-06-2008, 12:21 AM
phyzik you may as well be talking about how to fix a sewing machine. I am so far behind in the tech world I still have a 3/4 inch startup disk and a SIS video card on my table as we speak.

I am so busy replacing boards and retrieving data for bulldog PCs and unlocking notebooks for the 1,200 USAA Employees at 10 to 20 dollars a pop I still haven't installed Red hat or Linux or even taken apart a iMac.

I am like that old mechanic that still drinks Schlitz beer and can only work on cars prior to 1993. I am behind the times. And it scares me to think I will be out of a job soon if I don't learn the new shit.

Can you post step by step on how you accomplished your task so that maybe I can learn a thing or two?

And can I use this topic to ask you a few questions or maybe vent?

:wakeup

mouse
03-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Question #1
How long can I keep the SATA USB HD converter plugged into the power supply?
The box does not have a time. But I know that cheap 25.00 dollar part made in Malaysia by Koreans and assembled in Mexico by Argentinians it is very fragile.

I use it for data retrievals and data transfers but now I use it as a permanent external HD connector and I notice it is getting hot.

I found you can't apply to much pressure when you unplug it from the HD or else you make the thin case inside touch one of the soldered points and you can short it out.

Why do they make that shit so flimsy?

Jeff Probst
03-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Can I join the fun? brb let me go get my pocket protector.:lmao

phyzik
03-06-2008, 12:45 AM
phyzik you may as well be talking about how to fix a sewing machine. I am so far behind in the tech world I still have a 3/4 inch startup disk and a SIS video card on my table as we speak.

I am so busy replacing boards and retrieving data for bulldog PCs and unlocking notebooks for the 1,200 USAA Employees at 10 to 20 dollars a pop I still haven't installed Red hat or Linux or even taken apart a iMac.

I am like that old mechanic that still drinks Schlitz beer and can only work on cars prior to 1993. I am behind the times. And it scares me to think I will be out of a job soon if I don't learn the new shit.

Can you post step by step on how you accomplished your task so that maybe I can learn a thing or two?

And can I use this topic to ask you a few questions or maybe vent?

:wakeup

NP Mouse!

trust me, Im not that far ahead of you, I just have always seemed to pick shit up on the fly, never went to a day of college in my life for this crap :lol

I will try to see if I can get you a copy of an ISO image of miniPE up on an FTP site and send you a link so you can see what this shit is all about, just got the latest version yesterday off of torrent. utilities gallore. Everything from Serial key retrieval to Partition recovery to ghost imaging... all off of a bootable CD (or USB) thats basically its own OS. The beauty is that since its running off of the CD (or USB drive) it can access the most intimate sectors of the harddrive without it actually being "mounted" in the system.

PE stands for Pre-installed Environment. I think the first was BartPE (not sure). Basically a way stripped down version of XP that you could attach applications to for troubleshooting. It takes certain files off of your source windows CD or i386 folder (if you have everything in it) and then only links the applications you chose to have. No other bullshit that windows likes to load.

What Im trying to do, and now that I think about it I think I need windows server 2003 SP1 to do it, is make a bootable copy of miniPE on a thumb drive. The problem is they have it set to where its designed to boot off of a CD. I think what I need to do is create whats called a ramdisk that loads first off of the thumb drive that will "mount" the ISO off of the thumb drive and basically make it think its a CD. Basically load a program into RAM that makes it act like a virtual drive.

Kinda like Daemontools for windows if you have ever used it.

Once I figure it out I will try to provide basic instructions. One thing to note, the way Im doing it is that the thumb drive HAS to be formatted with FAT which only supports 2gb, anything larger wont help because its still going to be recognized as 2gb. just FYI.

phyzik
03-06-2008, 12:50 AM
Can I join the fun? brb let me go get my pocket protector.:lmao

Im willing to bet I can drink more than you, have slept with more women than you and definately make more money than you. I got my own house at 24 (which is now paid off), I own 2 vehicles (that are paid off), Im getting ready to open my own bar and have a car restoration project on the side.

what have you done with your life?

dont be a fucking hater or feel threatened because someone knows more shit about something than you. :wakeup

Jackie
03-06-2008, 12:54 AM
, I own 2 vehicles and have a car restoration project on the side.

I think I just wet my Boxers! Can I PM you for a date? :)

some_user86
03-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Im willing to bet I can drink more than you, have slept with more women than you and definately make more money than you. I got my own house at 24 (which is now paid off), I own 2 vehicles (that are paid off), Im getting ready to open my own bar and have a car restoration project on the side.

what have you done with your life?

dont be a fucking hater or feel threatened because someone knows more shit about something than you. :wakeup

I don't think it was meant to be offensive. I wear my geek label with pride. :)

Steve Perry
03-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Holy Shit phyzik I underestimated you! All this time I thought you was just another one of LJ's trolls! :lmao

How come you never go to the gtg's? Hey can you hire me for 40.00 dollars a day if you have some extra work? I am sure with all you have going on I can do something to earn at least 100.00 a day you keep the 60.00.

I can do Sheetrock,tape and float,vinyl floors.wood floors,celling texture,wall texture.stain,paint,and lay floor tile. If only I was Mexican I could work in San Antonio on the new homes.

Nbadan
03-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Here's some of Mouse's roofwork...

http://www.inspect-ny.com/roof/GAFShingle010DJFs.jpg

phyzik
03-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Question #1
How long can I keep the SATA USB HD converter plugged into the power supply?
The box does not have a time. But I know that cheap 25.00 dollar part made in Malaysia by Koreans and assembled in Mexico by Argentinians it is very fragile.

I use it for data retrievals and data transfers but now I use it as a permanent external HD connector and I notice it is getting hot.

I found you can't apply to much pressure when you unplug it from the HD or else you make the thin case inside touch one of the soldered points and you can short it out.

Why do they make that shit so flimsy?

The converter is getting hot? Do you know what brand? Im not too familiar with them.

Its hard to say, the problem is that SATA is WAY faster than USB 1.1 so I could see some overheating issues if you are copying alot of data (backing up a HD) because you are running that converter at max since its trying to keep up wth the HD. Not sure how good it is with USB 2.0 but I still cant imagine it being faster than SATA.

Eventually something is going to overheat. thats for sure. The best I can suggest is not use the USB ports on the front of computers, alot of those are not USB 2.0 for some reason (go figure), use the back ones.

phyzik
03-06-2008, 01:13 AM

:lol

mouse
03-06-2008, 01:14 AM

You notice unlike 410 I finished the job! :tu

phyzik
03-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Holy Shit phyzik I underestimated you! All this time I thought you was just another one of LJ's trolls! :lmao

How come you never go to the gtg's? Hey can you hire me for 40.00 dollars a day if you have some extra work? I am sure with all you have going on I can do something to earn at least 100.00 a day you keep the 60.00.

I can do Sheetrock,tape and float,vinyl floors.wood floors,celling texture,wall texture.stain,paint,and lay floor tile. If only I was Mexican I could work in San Antonio on the new homes.

I went once last year to some wingstop place, I cant even remember the name. I know it was out near 1604 and Bandera I think, near that santikos theatre... Im definately gonna try to go to one this year before or during the playoffs if I ever hear about one. :depressed

BTW, I know someone who is a contract manager for KBhomes ( or one of those home builders, I think he left KBhomes). I can ask him if he is looking for any help if your serious. :spin

mouse
03-06-2008, 01:26 AM
The converter is getting hot? Do you know what brand? Im not too familiar with them.

Dude get you one!

You know how much cash there is in data retrievals? Not to mention doing a virus scan with your software on their files w/o having to bring in the whole tower.

Eventually something is going to overheat. thats for sure. The best I can suggest is not use the USB ports on the front of computers, allot of those are not USB 2.0 for some reason (go figure), use the back ones.

That was a great point but this thing gets hot on it's own not even plugged yet to the HD or PC.. and by the way one end is USB so no matter how fast the the other end is you have to go through the other end and it's not to bad. Depending on your CPU a 128 GB folder takes up to 158 Minutes if you have at least 2.2 GHZ processor. keep in mind I am downloading shit watching tv and playing Delta force at the same time.

I remember a few years back when I mentioned splitting up the Intel chip so it can do separate tasks i was laughed at by many.

I told people soon Block Buster will be sticking your flash drive into the movie USB socket and hopefully your credit card info will be on there also already and you just walk out the door. place the flash drive in your Flat screen and grab the popcorn.

That shit is out there already. By the time the average consumer gets his hands on some new tech shit the Military and NASA already tested it out for 10 years.

I remember using sat com back in the Delta force days in 1980 the birth of the cell phone. :lmao

phyzik
03-06-2008, 01:28 AM
I think I just wet my Boxers! Can I PM you for a date? :)

If this isn't another mouse profile you can go to Hotshot billiards right next to Alamo Drafthouse off of 410 and ask for Jason, Im almost always there since its my friends bar, we can have a few drinks and watch the Spurs! :drunk

If it is you Mouse, we can still have some drinks and watch the Spurs.... just dont hit on me, I dont bat for the other team! :lol

I am Tom
03-06-2008, 01:31 AM

go to Hotshot billiards right next to Alamo Drafthouse off of 410 and ask for Jason, Im almost always there since its my friends bar, we can have a few drinks and watch the Spurs! :drunk

Hey asshole! why not say this shit when in the Spurs forum there is over 100 topics saying "where can I see the Spurs play and drink beer?" topic? :devil

phyzik
03-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Dude get you one!

You know how much cash there is in data retrievals? Not to mention doing a virus scan with your software on their files w/o having to bring in the whole tower.

That was a great point but this thing gets hot on it's own not even plugged yet to the HD or PC.. and by the way one end is USB so no matter how fast the the other end is you have to go through the other end and it's not to bad. Depending on your CPU a 128 GB folder takes up to 158 Minutes if you have at least 2.2 GHZ processor. keep in mind I am downloading shit watching tv and playing Delta force at the same time.

I remember a few years back when I mentioned splitting up the Intel chip so it can do separate tasks i was laughed at by many.

I told people soon Block Buster will be sticking your flash drive into the movie USB socket and hopefully your credit card info will be on there also already and you just walk out the door. place the flash drive in your Flat screen and grab the popcorn.

That shit is out there already. By the time the average consumer gets his hands on some new tech shit the Military and NASA already tested it out for 10 years.

I remember using sat com back in the Delta force days in 1980 the birth of the cell phone. :lmao

With the shit I was talking about in the origional post, you dont need to bring the whole tower either. Just a USB drive or bootable CD of the program I was talking about and MAYBE an external HDD for ghosting purposes (most of the time an external drive is not even necessary). you dont even have to boot their system on their drive, that way its fully unmounted and can in no way infect your shit or have annoying services running that prevent you from doing a complete image. Not to mention it has never failed me when recovering a bad partition on a harddrive unless its an actual physical problem with the HD. You can even pull some files from damaged or incomplete zip files, even recover accidentally deleted files.

Trust me, I will get you a copy, you wont believe what you have been missing. Just tell LJ or Kori to let me know when the next GTG is :drunk

USA Employee
03-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Maybe if you by a Dell we can meet on the phone one day?

phyzik
03-06-2008, 01:42 AM
Hey asshole! why not say this shit when in the Spurs forum there is over 100 topics saying "where can I see the Spurs play and drink beer?" topic? :devil

I have mentioned it several times in the past but no one shows up, so fuck them! :spin

I even had Kori try and setup a GTG there but it fell through (nothing wrong on her part)... ohh well.

mouse
03-06-2008, 02:03 AM
This is a great find! Kinda like when I was turned on to microscope 2000

A complete all in one diagnostics program that had it's own platform and did not have to acquire software of any kind it operates like windows in DOS setup mode.

You have to wonder who the hell gets up in the morning and decides to write a program. I call bullshit! That knowledge is pass on from one person to another.

That is why most of the Anti Virus software are ex employees of a company I will not mention. You remember the man who would toss nails on the road and just happen to know the man who owned the tire shop down the road? :lmao

mouse
03-06-2008, 02:15 AM

I have mentioned it several times in the past but no one shows up, so fuck them! :spin

I even had Kori try and setup a GTG there but it fell through (nothing wrong on her part)... ohh well.

next GTG mouse,Dawn,Jason,TPark and Chris Duel attend will be the bar you mentioned! and Kori can make it happen.........

I got People!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/LS-kori.gif

Tenacious D
03-06-2008, 02:50 AM
Question #2

How much money have you made from CCleaner? :lmao