PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Popovich sees holes in big winning streak

some_user86
03-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Popovich sees holes in big winning streak

Web Posted: 03/05/2008 11:02 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

The scoreboard at the AT&T Center said the Spurs defeated New Jersey on Tuesday night, and by a comfortable tally of 81-70.

A fly on the wall of the Spurs' locker room, privy to coach Gregg Popovich's postgame (cough) pep talk, might not have been so sure.

By the time Popovich was finished, even his players couldn't remember if they had just beaten the Nets, or if the Nets had beaten them.

"The way he was screaming," Tony Parker said, "it was like we lost the game."

Popovich didn't like his team's focus, didn't like its attention to detail, didn't like its offense and really didn't like its defense.

The point of the postgame gripe session was not lost on Popovich's players: With the playoffs rapidly approaching, it's all about perfection.

"It's not that we don't care about winning," Parker said. "It's just the way we are playing is the most important thing. If it was a good team last night, maybe we lose that game."

Against the sagging Nets, the Spurs played just well enough to win their 10th game in a row.

They made just 33.8 percent of their shots, their most cockeyed shooting performance in victory this season. Of course they also held the Nets to a 37.3 percentage — and to 26 points below what they had been averaging the previous 10 games — but Popovich wasn't about to credit the Spurs' defense for those lackluster numbers.

Afterward, he bemoaned his team's lack of mental focus and failure to stick to its defensive principles.

"Earlier in the year, maybe the 23rd game, it's going to happen," Popovich said. "But it can't happen this late in the year."

No balm conceals a team's imperfections quite like a 10-game winning streak. Yet heading down the home stretch of the season, with just 23 games left beginning tonight against Indiana at the AT&T Center, the Spurs are still a team with a few subtle flaws to fix and blemishes to buff out.

Partially behind the Spurs' push for perfection is the ever-tightening nature of the Western Conference race. With five games separating first place from last, and with the Spurs and Lakers engaged in a daily tug-o-war for the top seed, every game counts.

Even those against otherwise lackluster Eastern Conference competition.

"Lack of focus can be detrimental right now," forward Bruce Bowen said. "You can go on a two-game losing streak and end up in sixth place."

With that in mind, Parker called his team's ragged victory over New Jersey, "a good wake-up call."

"That's what happens, you win a lot of games in a row and lose your focus a little bit," Parker said. "Good teams are coming up, so we need to play better."

For the Spurs these days, the hard work is in the details. It's about tightening up defensive rotations, polishing up offensive execution and nudging everyday intensity levels toward a playoff plateau.

Popovich, meanwhile, has his own to-do list.

Typically, by this time each season, he's got his playing rotation set for the stretch run.

Partially due to a rash of midseason injuries and partially due to the recent arrival of new players Damon Stoudamire and Kurt Thomas, Popovich is still tinkering this season.

"I don't know whether Kurt should start or Fab (Oberto) should start," Popovich said. "(Or) if I should bring Manu (Ginobili) off the bench because it's been successful the last couple of years, or whether he should start now because things have changed."

Popovich says he hasn't given himself a firm timetable for providing answers to any of the above.

"It's just something we'll decide on as we move on," he said. "But I know we're not ready to decide now."

If there's one thing Parker knows, it's that Popovich will iron this out, too. Win or lose, his coach is too much of a perfectionist not to.

"That's why he's a great coach and why we've won so many championships," Parker said. "Because he wants everything perfect."

ALL ABOUT PERFECTION

While the Spurs haven't achieved the perfection Gregg Popovich wants, they have put together a 10-game winning streak, based largely on their defense. Here's a look at their numbers during the streak.

Points: The Spurs' 94.4 points per game ranks as fourth-worst in the league over the last 10 games, but their opponents are averaging only 86.1. That ranks as the lowest for an opponent in the league, and the differential — plus 8.3 — ranks as the fourth best.

Field-goal percentage: The Spurs have shot only 44.6 percent, which ranks 21st. But their opponents have shot 40.7, which makes the Spurs the stingiest defensive team in terms of field-goal percentage.

Assists: The Spurs are averaging 20.3, which is 11th-best. Other teams average 16.3, worst in the league, which shows how difficult opponents find it to move the ball effectively against the Spurs.

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030608.01C.BKNSpursPacers.en.3756189.html

Dave McNulla
03-06-2008, 01:41 AM
i heard it from manu on jim rome today. it's not a finished product yet. i haven't been this concerned since 2005 (when duncan was coming off the ankle injuries).

timvp
03-06-2008, 01:44 AM
ROFL @ Pop going off on the team after they win their tenth straight game. Classic Pop.

Knowing Pop, he probably hates this win streak. He can't wait until the Spurs lose again.

Brutalis
03-06-2008, 01:48 AM
"I don't know whether Kurt should start or Fab should start," Popovich said. "If I should bring Manu off the bench because it's been successful the last couple of years, or whether he should start now because things have changed."

For laughs a reporter said "Wow what a plan." and was punched in the nose by Popovich.

greens
03-06-2008, 02:00 AM
ROFL @ Pop going off on the team after they win their tenth straight game. Classic Pop.

Knowing Pop, he probably hates this win streak. He can't wait until the Spurs lose again.

It might be classic Pop...but right now, I don't think he even wants them to lose one game with the way the Western Conference is. He knows one or two or three games make a huge difference...

BUT WOW, yelling at them after they won their TENTH game in a row? I think it's funny how the article said that the Spurs weren't sure if they won or lost the game with Pop going off a bit on them...

This quote is confusing:
"(Or) if I should bring Manu (Ginobili) off the bench because it's been successful the last couple of years, or whether he should start now because things have changed."

When Pop says "things have changed" does he mean the Western Conference is super tough right now? Or that there are new Spurs players and nothing is certain yet as to the rotation?

milkyway21
03-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Popovich didn't like his team's focus, didn't like its attention to detail, didn't like its offense and really didn't like its defense.

The point of the postgame gripe session was not lost on Popovich's players: With the playoffs rapidly approaching, it's all about perfection.

Perfection?

-10-1 in February.
-they are on top of the WC and Division right now because of their DEFENSE-Only 1 Eastern team of their 11 opponents since Feb 5 topped 100 pts.

as long as the big 3 are healthy and they're winning I'm okay with that.

Did Pops want a 50-60-pt. scoring ave from the teams playing against them? :D
(that low-scoring 2nd game vs the Nets was so :sleep)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Pop's just being a good coach. He can afford to be pissed over that meaningless NJ game in preparation for the next two weeks.
I think it'd be nearly impossible to be amped for those guys; so I'm glad Pop's keeping them alert for the upcoming games against Denver, Phoenix and Denver.

Even though it wasn't pretty since their offense wasn't sharp as it should have been, I thought the Spurs had a really good defensive game and it was one of the first times they had a comfortable consistent lead over a team. :lol I still think they toyed with the Nets for the most part.

slayermin
03-06-2008, 03:52 AM
Pop is a great coach.

What's that saying TD said in one of his NBA Home videos?

"Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best."

carina_gino20
03-06-2008, 04:29 AM
Pop is a great coach.

What's that saying TD said in one of his NBA Home videos?

"Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best."

Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better, and your better is best.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-06-2008, 04:31 AM
I think that quote is so cheesy

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-06-2008, 04:43 AM
Heh, it's got a nice story to it though, Timmy's mother and all. It's a good thing to tell your kids I guess. (when you have kids at least)

polandprzem
03-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Did Pops want a 50-60-pt. scoring ave from the teams playing against them? :D
(that low-scoring 2nd game vs the Nets was so :sleep)

It's not about the numbers. It's about the focus.

On other note I would like to see how is spurs offense against Nuggs and Suns. Cause right now it looks like it's 1999

Obstructed_View
03-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Whoopie do. They won ten games in a row. They aren't in playoff form yet.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Finally, Pop explodes. This has been building up for 6 weeks, and he's timed it perfectly to wake the team up before a tough stretch of games. Gotta love this guy - coaching is like fine tuning an orchestra for him.

As for the 10 game streak - I've been most impressed with the D, especially in close 4th quarters. The team has shown that ability to ratchet up the D by a gear that they haven't previously shown this season. The next step is to find the next gear, which is playoff-intensity D for whole games. If they can find that, and injuries are kind, good things will follow...

SouthernFried
03-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Last time Pop was this confused...he went small ball against the best small ball team in the league.

mbass
03-06-2008, 09:22 AM
I think that quote is so cheesy

It was what his mother used to say to him when he was a little (?) boy.

boutons_
03-06-2008, 09:31 AM
There have been some really ugly Ws in that streak, and the ones where Super Manu flew in and won the game by himself. Ugly not offset with Ws domination or overpowering execution. 10 games of Fool's Gold.

I'm boutons and I approve of Pop's message.

This really nasty stretch of opponents and scheduling will indicate if they can gel and toughen better. It's time.

oboymeetsogirl
03-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Absolutely no surprise. Longtime Spurs fans know that win/loss records have *always* been less important to Pop than how the team is playing; and right now, you can clearly see huge chunks of lapses insofar as focus and execution on defense and offense.

Pop knows that this time around the Spurs will need to have a killer instinct in the playoffs -- step on the opponents' necks from the get-go, and crush their throats... don't give them room to breathe, room for hope, room to come back. It's also a matter of age and energy. The sooner we rip through each seven game series, the better shape we'll be in for the next round.

The next few games should be interesting. From what I can gather, Pop will want to see how close to perfection his team can come out with every night, given the physical stress of playing four in five nights. It's not just a matter of execution. It's also focus, intensity and killer instinct.

ancestron
03-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Pop gets the most angry when the Spurs are winning. I love it.
When they were struggling back in January he was like "Eh, fuck it..if you guys wanna win then play better..."
Now after a 10 game win streak he's all "@#$@#$@#$"!!!"

hater
03-06-2008, 09:50 AM
hell yeah Pop.

our team has been lazy at times and unable to score most of the time. Duncan and Manu have been the reason we are not 5-5 in our last 10

VaSpursFan
03-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Pop is the man. The Spurs cannot lose focus or become complacent now. The West is a war.

MoSpur
03-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Bring both Manu and Fab off the bench. Manu and Fab play great together. Thomas as a starter would help us in rebounding.

duncan228
03-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Pop is brilliant.
He can play the soft card and motivate them, he can disregard a ten game win streak as not a big deal if they're playing bad.
He knows how hard it is to get to and through the playoffs.
He knows his team, knows what works and what doesn't.
There's no coach I'd rather have my faith in for this repeat.

ducks
03-06-2008, 11:35 AM
pop loved it they played as bad against nets
he has their attention going into this tough stretch
12-3 is what I expect now maybe 13-2

some_user86
03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Pop is brilliant.
He can play the soft card and motivate them, he can disregard a ten game win streak as not a big deal if they're playing bad.
He knows how hard it is to get to and through the playoffs.
He knows his team, knows what works and what doesn't.
There's no coach I'd rather have my faith in for this repeat.

Phil Jackson?

duncan228
03-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Phil Jackson?

Nope.
I can't argue Jackson's success, I wouldn't even try.
But I don't think his style would work for the Spurs.
The Spurs have this incredible chemistry, and it starts with Pop and Duncan.
I don't think Duncan could play for Jackson.
Their styles and philosophies don't seem like a fit to me.

Jackson has done his thing with the big egos in the league. Jordan, Shaq, Kobe.
Pop has done his thing with selfless players who have gotten over themselves.
It's a match made in heaven.
I'm certain that the day Duncan retires is the same day Pop does.

wildbill2u
03-06-2008, 05:44 PM
When was the last time your saw great ball movement on offense that resulted in easy scores in a complete game? Oct or November? We started great but the team effort seems to have disappeared.

Team defense has dropped off this year as well. Maybe they can get it all together by playoff time, but damn I miss the team that played the first two months of the season. Where did they go?

DazedAndConfused
03-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Nope.
I can't argue Jackson's success, I wouldn't even try.
But I don't think his style would work for the Spurs.
The Spurs have this incredible chemistry, and it starts with Pop and Duncan.
I don't think Duncan could play for Jackson.
Their styles and philosophies don't seem like a fit to me.

Jackson has done his thing with the big egos in the league. Jordan, Shaq, Kobe.
Pop has done his thing with selfless players who have gotten over themselves.
It's a match made in heaven.
I'm certain that the day Duncan retires is the same day Pop does.

Phil is a very hands off kind of coach. He teaches his players a gameplan and expects them to execute it, and won't bail them out with a timeout. Pop will yank your ass out the moment you fuck up a defensive rotation.

Phil's coaching style would actually work just fine with the Spurs because they are a smart team that doesn't make many mental mistakes. Pop would actually work out very well on the Lakers considering how many youngins we have.