PDA

View Full Version : Kings to trade Christie for Magic's Mobley

timvp
01-10-2005, 07:54 PM
The Kings are close to finalizing a deal that would send guard Doug Christie to Orlando for Cuttino Mobley and Michael Bradley, two league sources told ESPN Insider Chad Ford. In anticipation of reaching a deal, the Magic pulled Mobley and Bradley from the game just moments before tipoff. While the deal is not yet finalized, both sources told Insider that they expected something to happen soon.

Magic GM John Weisbrod has been lukewarm to Mobley since trading for him this summer. Mobley is an undersized two-guard who thinks "shoot first" on almost every occasion. The Magic wanted a better defensive presence in the backcourt and Christie can deliver.

On the other side of the coin, the Kings were looking to juice their backcourt scoring ever since Bobby Jackson went down for the season. While the deal makes Sacramento more potent offensively, they do lose their best (and sometimes only) defender in Christie.

As far as the cap goes, the trade was essentially a wash. Both players are free agents after the 2005-06 season. Bradley was a throw in for salary cap purposes.

Christie, 34, is averaging 7.3 points, four rebounds and 4.9 assists in 31 games this season.

Mobley, 29, is averaging 16 points and 2.7 rebounds in 23 games. Bradley, a 25-year-old forward, is averaging 0.8 points and 1.8 rebounds in eight games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1964051

timvp
01-10-2005, 07:55 PM
http://www.kenston.k12.oh.us/khs/just4fun/christie_mavs.jpg
Time to pack my bags. :depressed

Kori Ellis
It's funny that there weren't any rumblings about this. It makes sense for the Magic (especially if Weisbrod isn't fond of Mobley) but is a pretty drastic move by the Kings.

Spurminator
Pretty good trade for both sides... but I wonder how Steve Francis will react.

timvp
01-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Pretty good trade for both sides... but I wonder how Steve Francis will react.

Yeah, especially because they're legally married in about five states.

Not that there's anything wrong with that .....

jalbre6
01-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Doug, pack my bags too!! Right now, damn it!
http://www.jackiechristie.com/images/test1A_01.jpg

Sec24Row7
01-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Lots more chicks in Swimsuits to not look at in Orlando Doug!

Shelly
01-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Yeah, especially because they're legally married in about five states.

Not that there's anything wrong with that .....

:lol

Now Jackie has a new batch of wimmen to shield Dougie from.

Oh, and....

NBA FORUM

PM5K
01-10-2005, 08:07 PM
I'd keep Mobley. Why would I want some old ass bastage like Christie from the Queens ?

But I'm not a GM and I am sure there is a reason for that...

Brodels
01-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Christie works in Sac because he defends guys like Lebron, Kobe, McGrady, etc. And he's one of the better swing defenders in the league.

Peja can't guard anyone. So now the Kings are going to ask and undersized Mobley to defend the league's best swing players.

I think it's a terrible move for the Kings. They have plenty of offense, and Doug was one of the few players on that team willing to do all of the little things.

The Kings get another scorer when they don't need one and lose a lot of intangibles and defense. That's going to come back to haunt them.

As for the Magic, I don't see how it makes them better. Christie will help them defensively, but they've been successful in large part because of the offensive punch that the guards have given them.

Sense
01-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Mobley > Christie.

Kingz will be more deep with Mobley, a nice shooter.
Christie felt to me like dead weight.

Kori Ellis
01-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Done deal ...

Magic Acquire Doug Christie from Sacramento

Jan. 10, Orlando, FL – The Orlando Magic have acquired guard Doug Christie from the Sacramento Kings in exchange for guard Cuttino Mobley and forward Michael Bradley, General Manager John Weisbrod announced today.

Christie (6’6”, 205, 5/9/70) has played and started in 31 games this season for Sacramento, averaging 7.3 ppg., 4.9 apg., 4.0 rpg. and 1.39 stlpg. in 32.1 minpg. He has led (or tied) the Kings in assists nine times, scored in double figures in 10 outings and has at least one steal in 21 games (13 with two-or-more). Christie currently ranks among NBA leaders in assists (T-29th), steals (T-29th) and free throw percentage (10th, .893, 50-of-56).

“We felt that Doug (Christie) was a perfect fit for the chemistry of our team right now,” said Weisbrod. “He’s a tremendous passer and defender, he’s accustomed to playing in an up-tempo offense and he brings valuable playoff experience. Cuttino (Mobley) is a very difficult piece to give up – one of my favorite people – but we needed to use our depth at shooting guard to fill the areas in which we’re deficient.”

Christie has been named to the NBA All-Defensive First or Second Team for four consecutive seasons (First Team in 2002-03; Second Team in 2000-01, 2001-02 and 2003-04). He has ranked among the NBA’s top five in steals in seven of the last eight seasons and is the only player to rank in the top five in each of the past four campaigns. Entering this season, Christie ranked 17th on the league’s all-time steals average leaders.

Originally selected by Seattle in the first round (17th overall) of the 1992 NBA Draft, Christie has played in 792 career games with the L.A. Lakers, New York, Toronto and Sacramento, averaging 11.5 ppg., 4.2 rpg., 3.7 apg. and 1.90 stlpg. in 31.9 minpg. He has also appeared in 58 career playoff outings, averaging 9.5 ppg., 4.9 rpg., 3.8 apg. and 1.60 stlpg. in 32.7 minpg.

Mobley played in 23 games (21 starts) for the Magic this season, averaging 16.0 ppg., 2.7 rpg., 1.8 apg. and 1.00 stlpg. in 31.6 minpg. He led the Magic and ranks fourth in the NBA in three-point field goal percentage (.464, 58-of-125). Mobley was acquired from Houston as part of a seven-player trade on June 29, 2004.

Bradley has appeared in eight games with Orlando, averaging 0.8 ppg. and 1.8 rpg. in 6.9 minpg. He has been on the Injured List and missed 17 games this season (Nov. 12-Dec. 6; Jan. 1-8) due to a strained right hamstring.

Spurminator
01-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Mobley's not a bad defensive player... I think it's a net gain for Sac.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Sacramento got the better end of this one, Christie's on the decline (plus he's pussy whipped like no other man on the face of the planet).

SpursWoman
01-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Why did Miami agree to this again?

Oops!

Useruser666

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Why did Miami agree to this again?

Shaq wanted a bitchy neighbor?

RobinsontoDuncan
01-10-2005, 09:39 PM
this doesnt make sense to me, the magic have lost 16 ppg for a guy who rarely scores and is getting to the point where he is easy to burn on offense, Christie just cant play the way he could three, two, or even last year.

ZStomp
01-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Did Christie's wife approve the trade??

ShoogarBear
01-10-2005, 10:08 PM
I think the Kings just dealt themselves out of serious consideration in the West.

T Park
01-11-2005, 03:14 AM
The Kings just got tougher to guard.

Mobley and Stoyokovic together is gonna be tough.

Bowen can only guard 1.

Ginobili IMO hasnt turned into the defensive stopper I thought he would two years ago.

Hopefully this makes the Kings worse, but IMO, it makes them much better.

Brodels
01-11-2005, 07:12 AM
The Kings just got tougher to guard.

Mobley and Stoyokovic together is gonna be tough.

Bowen can only guard 1.

Ginobili IMO hasnt turned into the defensive stopper I thought he would two years ago.

Hopefully this makes the Kings worse, but IMO, it makes them much better.

It's usually bad for a team's playoff hopes when they suck on defense and trade away their best defender and the only player who is interested in doing all the little things.

You can look at numbers all you want to, but Doug did exactly what the Kings needed. The team doesn't need offensive help. It never loses games because it sucks offensively.

It loses games in the playoffs because it can't defend.

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2005, 09:31 AM
IMHO this trade makes both teams better...Sacramento needed to load up to be able to outscore Phoenix, Seattle, Lakers, etc...its just the way their division plays..and as stated previously putting Peja and Cat on the wings is a tough guard for any team...

With a healthy Grant Hill it makes sense for Orlando to break up the Francis/Mobley duo...Orlando gets a good strong veteran core with better ball movement and better defense...

ladiesman
01-11-2005, 11:20 AM
For the kings to win a game, they will have to score 125 a night.

boutons
01-11-2005, 11:26 AM
"have to score 125 a night"

Kings scored 40 less points to accept a gift game from the Spurs.

Sportcamper
01-11-2005, 11:26 AM
I was told that Doug Christie posts on this message board...however I am not sure if he is...Ceven... Lance2... or Mila21ca... :lol

Doug After hours (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-90497.html)