PDA

View Full Version : M-1 is done...bring on Randy and Fedor

Evan
03-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Don't consider a UFC fight between Fedor Emelianenko and Randy Couture dead just yet.
With Couture embroiled in a nasty legal dispute with the UFC and Emelianenko tied to M-1 Global's MMA franchise, the heavyweight dream matchup has long seemed to be the world's best bout that would never happen.
Now it could. Apy Echteld, one of Emelianenko's agents, confirmed what a source close to the situation previously told The Magazine: M-1 Global and Emelianenko will part ways some time in the next week, making the Russian a free agent. Divorce negotiations are ongoing right now, with a formal announcement likely for in the next few days. "Officially, yes, Fedor will be a free agent," Echteld says.
Of course, the UFC would have to be willing to re-open negotiations with Emelianenko's management. Previous talks dragged on for almost a year before falling apart amid plenty of name-calling and finger-pointing from both sides. UFC president Dana White was vocal in pinning the blame on Emelianenko's team, saying he never once spoke or met with the fighter. Would the head of the UFC be willing to enter the Fedor fray again? "Absolutely, 100 percent, in a heartbeat," says White. "People think he's the best—I don't, not even close. But if it's somehow possible, I would make it happen."
Reached on Thursday, Echteld was caught off-guard when told that White would be willing to revisit last year's stalemate. But he echoed the UFC's willingness to talk and vowed to speak with White as soon as possible. "We're open to a discussion," says Echteld. "If everybody is willing to put a little wine in the water, then we have something to work with. There is space for this to happen."
A fight involving Emelianenko and Couture would also require considerable fence-mending between Couture and the UFC. Couture has cited the UFC's inability to sign Emelianenko as a key reason for his sudden retirement. And now the two sides are locked in a bitter, months-long battle about the duration and terms of Couture's UFC deal. Over the past month, the situation has seemed to only be deteriorating. That could change if Emelianenko becomes available.
"I like Randy, I genuinely like to think he's a good guy," White says. "As much as we've gone back and forth on this, I would sign Fedor and do everything possible to get Randy in the octagon with
him. I'd do anything, because a., it's a great fight and b., I think Randy would smash Fedor."
Through his spokesman, Couture declined to comment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3280383

2centsworth
03-07-2008, 01:04 AM
that would be a kick in the nuts to Cuban. I don't care where it happens, I just want it to happen.

polandprzem
03-07-2008, 03:55 AM
Jeez hopefully it's true that Fiodor will be a free agent.

Damn about time to get something going in emelianenko's career

Evan
03-07-2008, 07:21 AM
On Thursday, new cracks appeared in M-1 Global’s façade. Apy Echteld, a co-manager of Fedor Emelianenko and development executive in the upstart promotion, confirmed to ESPN’s Ryan Hockensmith that the top-ranked fighter and M-1 would be separating next week.

Emelianenko was M-1’s first talent acquisition when the consortium of Russian and American promoters came together in October of 2007.

The report on ESPN.com also stated that both Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White and Echteld would be open to discussions concerning the possibility of having Emelianenko face UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture in the Octagon.

M-1 President and CEO Monte Cox, however, was adamant that the Russian superstar is still a part of his promotion. “As of right now, M-1 Global and Fedor are still working together,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

Cox declined to comment about the ESPN article, but said M-1’s plans were still underway for its first event on American soil, a June 14 card at the Sears Center in the Chicago area, still expected to feature Emelianenko. The show has been rescheduled from a May 3 date at the Allstate Arena, also in the Chicago area.

M-1’s first venture with Emelianenko, a co-promotion with Fight Entertainment Group and other Japanese promoters on New Year’s Eve, was a success according to Cox. Since then, rumors of difficulties between the American and Russian factions of the partnership have persisted.

“But as of now, Fedor still belongs to M-1 Global,” stated Cox

Evan
03-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Well...Fedor's people are obviously a nightmare to deal with. PRIDE, Bodog, M-1 and UFC have all had issues. Now Fedor has to refund 1.5 million dollars so hopefully they cool it down a bit.

Not that the UFC and Dana are pleasant folks...

I am pretty confident we will see Fedor and Randy in the UFC this year.

EliteXC will not happen...no IFL...I can't see HDNet spending that much....

If he signs with Dream........ugh.........

LEONARD
03-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Dreams or WVR seem most likely...

Evan
03-07-2008, 09:39 AM
why do you think so?

Evan
03-07-2008, 09:40 AM
by Josh Gross ([email protected])

Confirmation Thursday of a rumor that circulated for weeks has made Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) the most sought-after free agent in mixed martial arts … again.

The move by Emelianenko, first reported by ESPN, immediately rekindled talk of the Russian heavyweight fighting in the UFC, perhaps even against Randy Couture (Pictures).

Apy Echteld, who was hired as part of the European branch of M-1 Global and is a longtime manager of the 31-year-old Russian, told ESPN's Ryan Hockensmith that Emelianenko would be willing to restart contract negotiations with the UFC once the "divorce" is finalized.

M-1 CEO Monte Cox declined to comment on Thursday's news report, however he told Sherdog.com that M-1 and Emelianenko continue to share a "working relationship."

The question, then, is for how long?

According to one source that asked not to be identified, M-1 will likely expect Emelianenko to return a $1.5 million signing bonus he was paid last September. Negotiations should be finalized by Tuesday of next week, the same source said.

A free-agent Emelianenko could benefit from a deeper, more competitive bidding pool.

Newly minted with a historic TV deal from CBS, EliteXC would be "absolutely interested in Fedor if he was a free agent," Jeremy Lappen, the company's head of fighter operations, told Sherdog.com. "Of course, we're very friendly with Monte and have a close relationship with M-1 and would never step on their toes."

Mark Cuban, who has quickly turned HDNet into a desired premium-television destination for MMA fans, tempered expectations, telling Sherdog.com he doesn't plan on simply outspending competitors in an effort to sign the heavyweight.

"We always want to work with the best in the world," Cuban responded via e-mail. "That said, we aren't in the business of bidding wars. We are in the business of developing, promoting and supporting fighters and their careers and partnering with any and all who can help us accomplish that."

World Victory Road and Dream -- Japanese promoters attempting to establish themselves in Pride's wake -- could be Emelianenko suitors, though the MMA industry in that part of the world is not as strong as it was during the Russian's heyday.

Wildcard groups, such as the one apparently comprised of Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions and clothing apparel company Affliction, which sponsors Emelianenko and Couture, could enter the fray. An Affliction photo shoot featuring the heavyweight pair created quite a stir when shots and video of the fighters standing nose to nose hit the Internet.

Last October the newly formed M-1 Global, led by investor Mitchell Maxwell and Cox, announced at a New York news conference that they had won the war for the wandering Pride heavyweight king.

Emelianenko was expected to fight six times for $12 million over a two-year period for M-1. He fought just once since October, a co-promoted bout on New Year's Eve in Japan against an unranked opponent. Meanwhile M-1 has yet to produce its first event.

The Russian explained the decision against signing with the UFC came down largely to his opinion of the company's president.

"You cannot start a relationship with someone using those phrases," he said in New York, alluding to White's repeated description of Emelianenko's management as "crazy Russians."

Asked if he remained interested in signing Emelianenko (27-1-0, 1 NC) following a year of failed negotiations and a war of words that resulted in the promoter calling the No. 1-ranked heavyweight a "farce," White told ESPN: "Absolutely, 100 percent, in a heartbeat. People think he's the best -- I don't, not even close. But if it's somehow possible, I would make it happen."

"We're open to a discussion," Echteld responded to ESPN after learning of the UFC's potentially malleable position. "If everybody is willing to put a little wine in the water, then we have something to work with. There is space for this to happen."

Though Emelianenko's management, led by Vadim Finkelchtein and Echteld, expressed in late July that the UFC offer was extremely lucrative, it was also the most restrictive in terms of likeness rights, exclusivity and other points they did not want their fighter to concede.

The UFC chose not to budge either, leading to the creation of M-1 Global and what was thought to be the new home for Emelianenko.

A renegotiation for White would focus on getting Emelianenko in the Octagon across from Couture. While the UFC boss heavily favors "The Natural" in that matchup, the possibility of it taking place -- in the UFC or anywhere else -- is unknown while both sides battle in court over the status of Couture's contract.

After announcing his ill-fated deal with M-1 last fall, Emelianenko called Couture's challenge of the UFC "positive" and said he was "very proud that Couture made such a great decision."

It would be ironic if in the end the Russian signed with the UFC as a courtroom-tested Couture somehow freed himself from the most successful organization in MMA.

Wherever Fedor settles, fans will demand he fights the best challengers, starting with the 44-year-old former UFC champ.

Sherdog.com's Greg Savage contributed to this report

Evan
03-07-2008, 09:40 AM
part of me wants him to sign with the UFC just so Josh Gross will cry and whine

Evan
03-07-2008, 09:47 AM
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/5847-23_FedorEmelianenkoYarennok.jpg

On Thursday, new cracks appeared in M-1 Global’s façade. Apy Echteld, a co-manager of Fedor Emelianenko and development executive in the upstart promotion, confirmed to ESPN’s Ryan Hockensmith that the top-ranked fighter and M-1 would be separating next week.

Emelianenko was M-1’s first talent acquisition when the consortium of Russian and American promoters came together in October of 2007.

The report on ESPN.com also stated that both Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White and Echteld would be open to discussions concerning the possibility of having Emelianenko face UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture in the Octagon.

M-1 President and CEO Monte Cox, however, was adamant that the Russian superstar is still a part of his promotion. “As of right now, M-1 Global and Fedor are still working together,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

Cox declined to comment about the ESPN article, but said M-1’s plans were still underway for its first event on American soil, a June 14 card at the Sears Center in the Chicago area, still expected to feature Emelianenko. The show has been rescheduled from a May 3 date at the Allstate Arena, also in the Chicago area.

M-1’s first venture with Emelianenko, a co-promotion with Fight Entertainment Group and other Japanese promoters on New Year’s Eve, was a success according to Cox. Since then, rumors of difficulties between the American and Russian factions of the partnership have persisted.

“But as of now, Fedor still belongs to M-1 Global,” stated Cox.

LEONARD
03-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I really want him to sign with the UFC, but I don't see it happening...he seems to love fighting in Japan...

I hadn't thought about the new Affliction thing though. That's where Lindland is going apparently. That makes sense if Couture can get cleared to fight outside the UFC, which is unlikely right now of course...

Evan
03-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I really want him to sign with the UFC, but I don't see it happening...he seems to love fighting in Japan...

I hadn't thought about the new Affliction thing though. That's where Lindland is going apparently. That makes sense if Couture can get cleared to fight outside the UFC, which is unlikely right now of course...

Where are thery going to get the money though?

Evan
03-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I don't see why the UFC wouldn't be willing to hold their first event in Japan NYE. Let him fight whoever he wants within his weight class...the UFC will have to bend a little to get Fedor and that's one area they could could be willing to bend.

I can also see him being allowed to do Sambo but Fedor's team is going to have to forget about him co-promoting and holding an event in St Petesrburg.

LEONARD
03-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Where are thery going to get the money though?

Affliction t-shirts cost $50 :lol

Evan
03-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Affliction t-shirts cost $50 :lol

:dizzy

so crazy....lol

But seriously...they can't afford him or Randy.

Dreams? Who knows. But another unstable new org.

Evan
03-07-2008, 10:27 AM
following Fedor news over the next month is going to be insane back and forth misinformation.

desflood
03-07-2008, 10:33 AM
part of me wants him to sign with the UFC just so Josh Gross will cry and whine
I understand. Part of me wants Fedor to ignore the UFC completely for the rest of his life just because Dana White is such an uncooperative, unreasonable ass sometimes.

Evan
03-07-2008, 10:38 AM
There is no way the UFC can screw this up by Dana's mouth getting out of control...that can't be the reason.

If is truly goes south because of that... :bang

Heath Ledger
03-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Couture would get pwned in this fight.

polandprzem
03-07-2008, 12:51 PM
yea Dana lackof diplomacy is sometimes cousing him troubles.

I must say that I would love Fiodor to sign with UFC, I can't see other place he can go. In Japan he will get funny fights like the one with Choi.
I knew that Fedor was mad (well not satisfied) with the contract rules, and Dana's big mouth but damn he is a fighter. All in all they could negotiate. Dana said he haven't spoke to Fedor because of crazy russians as he said. That could be a reason they got lost in translation and lost an opurtunity for a nice matchups in 2008.

PS. dana speaks what he thinks and I'm fine with that.

ATRAIN
03-07-2008, 01:17 PM
There is no way the UFC can screw this up by Dana's mouth getting out of control...that can't be the reason.

If is truly goes south because of that... :bang

I hope they both go to UFC, The HW div needs a boost IMO. Im tired of seeing that scrub Silvia.

dbreiden83080
03-07-2008, 04:42 PM
PS. dana speaks what he thinks and I'm fine with that.

Yeah except half the time the crap coming out of his mouth is bad for business. He slams Tito every chance he gets by saying he is a shit fighter, yet he is one of the biggest draws in MMA history. He was all over Fedor for months about how great he was and then when he didn't sign he has routinely said he is overrated as a fighter. This asshole even said once that "GSP" has no heart after he lost to Serra. These are not comments that help sell tickets and fights, they are pointless, childish remarks. White is an arrogant clown, drunk on his power who thinks he can do and say whatever he wants without consequences.

Evan
03-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Yeah except half the time the crap coming out of his mouth is bad for business. He slams Tito every chance he gets by saying he is a shit fighter, yet he is one of the biggest draws in MMA history. He was all over Fedor for months about how great he was and then when he didn't sign he has routinely said he is overrated as a fighter. This asshole even said once that "GSP" has no heart after he lost to Serra. These are not comments that help sell tickets and fights, they are pointless, childish remarks. White is an arrogant clown, drunk on his power who thinks he can do and say whatever he wants without consequences.

I agree but just remember part of Dana's job is to be a carnival barker.

polandprzem
03-08-2008, 06:52 AM

That's the exception I can't argue with.

What about the co-owners?
They don't have a 'voice' in UFC matters?

Evan
03-08-2008, 10:30 AM
That's the exception I can't argue with.

What about the co-owners?
They don't have a 'voice' in UFC matters?

I am sure the Fertitas have far more to do with the UFC than we know. They were after all the ones who decided to do TUF against Dana's wishes.

Lorenzo seems to be the only who ever is seen speaking in public.

I am telling you guys..Dana is mainly doing a bit. Anytime something goes wrong everyone will blame him and not the UFC or the sport in general. Dana has taken more heat over Sean Sherk than Sherk or the UFC has. It's designed that way and works out rather well.

Evan
03-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Stop me if you've heard this one. Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) is once again -- allegedly, presumably, unofficially, categorically, depressingly -- the most valuable free agent in mixed martial arts.

Emelianenko's cryostasis was supposed to have thawed with his M-1 Global affiliation last fall. Instead, we got one vapid fight against Marvel Comics mutant Hong Man Choi (Pictures), months of thumb twiddling courtesy of the front office and fatiguing speculation over a theoretical bout with Randy Couture (Pictures). (It's now a fight that can't possibly live up to the unending, insufferable hype.)

M-1 -- led by respected athlete manager Monte Cox -- seemed optimistic that it could circumvent the obvious problems in trying to build a promotional foundation spread across two continents. (Perhaps Cox should've consulted with Ed Fishman, Dana White or anyone who's tried to negotiate foreign combat policy with obstinate peers from overseas.) Now comes word that M-1 is about to implode thanks to warring ideals and what some smart person once dubbed "paralysis by analysis," the act of overthinking everything and therefore doing nothing.

And so the Emelianenko sweepstakes have been resurrected, with the countless freshman organizations all coveting the cache that comes from hosting the presumed world's best fighter.

But as Emelianenko and his agents may soon discover, the adhesive on that label is beginning to peel.

The Russian's last important fight was against Mark Hunt (Pictures) in December 2006 -- and Hunt, barely on the fringe of the heavyweight scene, made Emelianenko work for it. Since then, Emelianenko has fought only twice, the spectacle against Choi and a pointless bout with middleweight Matt Lindland (Pictures).

At what point does the hype expire on the hyperbole?

While the Red Devil figurehead has been busy in the boardroom, athletes like Anderson Silva, Quinton Jackson (Pictures) and Georges St. Pierre (Pictures) have been busy challenging the best in their respective divisions. Even mainstream media, which was all too quick to buy into the concept of Emelianenko as a mystical, mythical figure, has now slotted Silva as the pound-for-pound great. (Imagine the outcry if Silva proceeded to spend the next three years fighting medical oddities and lightweights.)

At a certain point, one has to wonder whether the myriad of financial and contractual impositions that Emelianenko promises are still worth it. If you're paying for the sport's best, shouldn't he have to offer contemporary proof of that? If you're doing due diligence on your investment, wouldn't you question your athlete's diluted career?

Emelianenko, as this space has often charged, possesses his image in part because the heavyweight division is the flimsiest in the game. Aside from highly impressive wins against Mirko Filipovic (Pictures) and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures), he's yet to dominate a majority slice of the top 10. And under the right (or wrong, depending on your perspective) rule set, a good wrestler stands an excellent chance of grounding him and using elbows to turn his scar-stricken forehead into tenderloin.

That's a pretty anticlimactic end to what would be a massive investment.

That said, the UFC -- surely a reluctant contestant in the drawing -- could do worse than to make an effort to see the Emelianenko-Couture bout happen, which would snatch away one of the more significant fights from the competition and sway media attention back to the premier MMA brand in North America.

White and his crew may not feel that heat, however. Despite the incessant fan and press chatter every time the heavyweight passes gas, the bulk of the UFC's customers have little idea what the match truly represents. The blanket story that there's some kind of Pride invasion has been quashed with the mediocre results offered by Wanderlei Silva (Pictures), Dan Henderson (Pictures) and others.

What's really for sale, then? A nearly anonymous foreign fighter who speaks little English, sports a dumpy physique and hasn't been pushed in a fight in years. Call it sacrilege, but Kimbo Slice is poised to sell more pay-per-views than Emelianenko -- at a fraction of his price.

It's ironic that Emelianenko's value revolves solely around a shaky claim to being the sport's best, yet he continues to do nothing to substantiate it.

At least he is re-entering the free market with a fresh line of suitors. EliteXC's deal with CBS might encourage the promotion to open its wallets and send the Russian on a tour of fighting B- and C-list heavyweights with the occasional meaningful fight (Josh Barnett (Pictures), possibly Andrei Arlovski (Pictures)) thrown in. Rumors of the Affliction clothing company and Oscar De La Hoya entering the business could drive up his price further.

But as Emelianenko's middling recent results and contractual foot-stomping have indicated, any and all potential business partners should pay heed to the appropriate Latin cliché: Drago's caveat emptor.

Let Fedor's buyer beware.

Evan
03-10-2008, 09:19 AM
whew...

Evan
03-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Emelianenko Never Under Contract to M-1

Despite the announcement of an agreement last October between Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) and M-1 Global, the deal was never signed, a source close to both camps told Sherdog.com.

The Russian heavyweight's only agreement with the company -- according to the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity -- came in the form of a letter of intent.

The return of a $1.5 million signing bonus paid by M-1 Global to Emelianenko is the only hurdle to the former Pride champion's potential free agency. That should be remedied this week, the source said.

M-1 Global CEO Monte Cox declined to comment.

Once Emelianenko is clear of his M-1 obligations he is expected to field offers from several MMA promotions. The early leader, according to the same source, comes from the purported partnership between Affliction and Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, which Sherdog.com has learned could debut on June 28.

"Right now we don't have any comments," Golden Boy Promotions Public Relations Director Romiro Gonzalez told Sherdog.com. "[Oscar] is in the sports business. He is loading up on all the fields, especially boxing. We're moving into soccer, MLS. There is nothing official we can say."

Emelianenko would receive approximately $1.5 million to fight and his management could be given the rights to television in both Russia and Japan, according to the source.

The 31-year-old heavyweight champion's younger brother Aleksander is also believed to be joining the Affliction roster, as is American middleweight Matt Lindland (Pictures).

Affliction-branded clothing has created close ties with combat sports through sponsorship of top boxers and mixed martial artists, as well as involvement in Golden Boy's boxing events.

dbreiden83080
03-19-2008, 10:51 AM
What i don't get about this whole fiasco is if Fedor is so damn good or at least is perceived as that damn good then why doesn't the UFC just give him a mega deal for a couple fights?? Tear up Randy's deal and give him a mega one or 2 fight deal. He is 45 years old it is not like you will be locked into paying the guy crazy money for a decade. Isn't it worth it for the UFC to make this happen?? Instead the UFC has wasted time and money by grandstanding and taking Randy to court. I don't take Randy off the burner here as he did not handle this very well but in the end this should be about business. The best business move for the UFC is to sign Fedor and make this damn fight happen. It will be such an event and the UFC will likely set records on the fight. The UFC's actions make no sense to me at all.

Evan
03-19-2008, 12:03 PM
What i don't get about this whole fiasco is if Fedor is so damn good or at least is perceived as that damn good then why doesn't the UFC just give him a mega deal for a couple fights?? Tear up Randy's deal and give him a mega one or 2 fight deal. He is 45 years old it is not like you will be locked into paying the guy crazy money for a decade. Isn't it worth it for the UFC to make this happen?? Instead the UFC has wasted time and money by grandstanding and taking Randy to court. I don't take Randy off the burner here as he did not handle this very well but in the end this should be about business. The best business move for the UFC is to sign Fedor and make this damn fight happen. It will be such an event and the UFC will likely set records on the fight. The UFC's actions make no sense to me at all.

Well..here is what supposedly happened with that

Before this M-1 mess Fedor's people did indeed negotiate with the UFC and obviously it didn't work. These are the details I picked up over time (LEONARD may need to correct me here on some points)

The UFC...

Offered the most money
Wanted his likeness rights for video games

All pretty reasonable and agreeable issues in my opinion but they also..
Did not want him to do Sambo (retarded since he will likely never get hurt here)
Locked him into a champion clause that extends his contract everytime he wins. So in other words as long as he doesn't lose he is never allowed to leave the UFC
They can cut him after one loss

Fedor's people...
Wanted him to be able to do Sambo
Wants the UFC to sign some people from his camp (reasonable to a point)

But…
Demanded the UFC hold an event in St Petersburg (highly expensive)
Wants to cross promote (if the UFC is offering that much money you need to be flexible on this imo)

So I think that was the main points. Supposedly they only negotiated one time. Both sides had resonable and dumb things they were asking for. The UFC are hardasses but considering the fallout from Bodog and M-1 so are Fedor's people. Just dumb sports egos getting in the way of what the fans want to see.

All in all..I am pretty certain fedor is blameless in all of this. I don't think he has a clue any of this goes on. Maybe you can blame him for letting his people have too much control but who knows. That's just a guess.

One more thing…Me and every other die hard MMA fan and media person thought Fedor had signed with M-1, we were wrong. So obviously none of us know anything so my entire post is based on what I have read on sites, forums and blogs so chances are it's all wrong so I would advise you to ignore it. None of us know anything it would seem.

:drunk

LEONARD
03-19-2008, 12:18 PM
That's a pretty good summary Evan :fro

dallaskd
03-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Evan iz a st8 up balla

dallaskd
03-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Tim Sylvia wants Fedor....

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=12047

For the first time in three years, former two-time UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia (Pictures) will compete outside the Octagon.

The 6-foot-8 mixed martial artist announced his departure Friday evening during an appearance on HDNet's "Inside MMA."

"I've pretty much come to a crossroads in my career," Sylvia said. "And there's a lot of big things happening in the MMA world, and especially outside of the UFC."

As Sylvia, 32, spoke of the move -- which came with the UFC's blessing despite one bout remaining on a contract that was set to expire in July -- the No. 4 ranked heavyweight according to Sherdog.com was announced as officially joining Adrenaline MMA, a newly-branded promotion headed by his manager, Monte Cox.

"Adrenaline is a new promotion, but it allows fighters to fight for other organizations -- that's huge," Sylvia said. "I've got three to four years left and want to fight as much as possible, so this is the perfect choice for me at this time."

On Monday, Cox told Sherdog.com that his new organization, which replaces M-1 Global, would debut June 14 in Chicago, Ill. Cox will act as President and CEO. Bob Clark (COO) and Brian Patton (VP) follow Cox from the defunct M-1 Global, which failed to promote an event during its five months in operation.

In addition to Sylvia (24-4), Adrenaline MMA announced it secured the services of former International Fight League star Ben Rothwell (Pictures), currently ranked No. 10 at heavyweight by Sherdog.com.

"I'm ready to see how I fare against the best heavyweights in the world," said the 26-year-old Wisconsinite, whom like Sylvia is managed by Cox.

Sylvia and Rothwell (29-5), teammates at Miletich Fighting Systems in Bettendorf, Iowa, signed multi-fight contracts with Adrenaline MMA.

"Japan's starting to get some big shows going again, and Affliction show is going to be happening," Sylvia said on HDNet. "So I'm looking to fight in all of them. Be real active, fight five or six times a year. And there's a guy out there named Fedor [Emelianenko], who I'd like to fight. And I think the only way that's going to happen is by me leaving the UFC."

Sylvia racked up a 9-4 record during his tenure with the UFC, which began in 2002 when he battered Wesley Correira (Pictures). In just his second bout in the Octagon, Sylvia stunned Ricco Rodriguez (Pictures) at UFC 41 to capture the organization's heavyweight crown.

Following his first defense of the belt, a knockout over Gan McGee (Pictures), Sylvia tested positive for anabolic steroids. In his return to competition following a suspension and fine, not only did the "Maine-iac" fail to recapture the belt he was forced to vacate, Frank Mir (Pictures) snapped Sylvia's right arm below the elbow.

Having worked his way back into the title picture, Sylvia took control of the belt for a second time with a first-round knockout of Andrei Arlovski (Pictures) in April 2006. He gave up the title 10 months later when Randy Couture (Pictures) scored a dominant five-round decision.

In what would be his last UFC bout before moving to Adrenaline MMA, Sylvia fell short in a battle for the interim UFC heavyweight title against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures).

desflood
03-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Dana going after Emelianenko again :lol

UFC president Dana White said the company had released one big-name heavyweight from his contract while admitting interest in arguably the biggest heavyweight name of all.

White said the UFC released former heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia from his contract with one fight remaining on it. The move made Sylvia a free agent and he is expected to sign a contract with M-1 Global, where he would be teamed with his agent, M-1 Global chief executive officer Monte Cox.

But White said that the UFC is again interested in landing former PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko. Emelianenko had a very public dalliance with the UFC last year, only to spurn the company in favor of the newly formed M-1 Global.

That sparked a torrent of abuse from White toward Emelianenko.

But M-1 has conceded that Emelianenko never signed the agreed upon contract and that he was a free agent. EliteXC has made no secret of its desire to sign the many man feel is the best fighter in the world.

White said Friday that he would attempt to reach a deal with Emelianenko, who is 27-1 with one no-contest and owns a pair of victories over current UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Randy Couture, who holds the UFC heavyweight belt, is in the midst of a lawsuit with the UFC largely because of Couture's desire to fight Emelianenko. The UFC has refused to co-promote an event with another promoter and would only do it if Emelianenko signed a promotional contract with it.

On Friday, White never mentioned Couture by name, but said he would be open to the fight.

"We want to make the fights the people want to see," White said. "If there is a fight that we can make for him that people really want to see, then we'll try the best we can to get that done. We'll see what we can do as far as (signing Emelianenko) goes."

LEONARD
03-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Dana on Fedor...

Oct-Nov
"Fedor sucks! He's not even a top 5 HW"
"Randy would smash Fedor easily. He's overhyped and untested. He hasn't fought anyone in the last year and a half."
"Fedor is a fraud...he isn't even a top five fighter!"

Early 2008
"Fedor is a farce"

3/3/08 after UFC 82 press conf - "It's the hatred of me that makes Fedor ranked #1"
3/5/08 - "People think he's the best—I don't, not even close. I like Randy, I genuinely like to think he's a good guy. As much as we've gone back and forth on this, I would sign Fedor and do everything possible to get Randy in the octagon with him. I'd do anything, because a., it's a great fight and b., I think Randy would smash Fedor."

Evan
03-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Dana on Fedor...

Oct-Nov
"Fedor sucks! He's not even a top 5 HW"
"Randy would smash Fedor easily. He's overhyped and untested. He hasn't fought anyone in the last year and a half."
"Fedor is a fraud...he isn't even a top five fighter!"

Early 2008
"Fedor is a farce"

3/3/08 after UFC 82 press conf - "It's the hatred of me that makes Fedor ranked #1"
3/5/08 - "People think he's the best—I don't, not even close. I like Randy, I genuinely like to think he's a good guy. As much as we've gone back and forth on this, I would sign Fedor and do everything possible to get Randy in the octagon with him. I'd do anything, because a., it's a great fight and b., I think Randy would smash Fedor."

The carnival barker makes an ass of himself once again.

polandprzem
03-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Fedor will make up his mind by the end of a week

Probably EliteXC proposed a contract for four fights with a seven digit income for Emelianenko.

Seems like Elite want to catchup the UFC pretty fast

Evan
03-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Seems like Elite want to catchup the UFC pretty fast

Once they sign another 180 people and are able to put on a show every month, maybe.

When EliteXC can handle a high selling PPV for a few years, maybe.

Evan
04-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Fedor Emelianenko, the former PRIDE heavyweight champion who became a free agent after last week's surprising split from M-1 Global, is in negotiations with EliteXC, but his $2-million-per-fight asking price could keep a deal from being reached.

EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw confirmed the dollar figure during a recent interview with The Lights Out Show on the TAGG Radio Network, a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

MMAjunkie.com reported last month that EliteXC had offered Emelianenko a four-fight, seven-figure deal that would put the fighter on the first two show EliteXC-CBS shows. He'd also get two pay-per-view slots and would share in a portion of the revenue.

Apparently, though, the deal -- which would give a base pay of approximately $300,000 to $500,000 per fight -- wasn't good enough.

"[Fedor] wants $2 million per fight," Shaw said. "We keep going back and forth, but he has to fight soon. It's been almost two years."

Emelianenko actually last fought at the "Yarennoka!" New Year's Eve show back in December, but it's been nearly two years since he's faced a top-tier opponent in his own weight class. And while that drought of meaningful fights has many fans questioning his once near-unanimous standing as the world's top heavyweight fighter, Shaw still considers him one of the best.

In fact, he seems to think the talent pool is fanning out and that his biggest competition is struggling.

"[The UFC's] got a hole in their dike right now," Shaw said. "It's leaking... No one organization owns the best fighters."

Despite the comment, the UFC is still considered one of Emelianenko's most likely destinations, though he's rumored also to have offers from Japanese-based organizations.

For more on this interview, and to hear Nick Diaz talk about being pulled off this past weekend's Strikeforce/EliteXC show and for Joey Villasenor's thoughts on his fight with Ryan Jensen, download Tuesday's edition of The Lights Out Show, available for free in the TAGG Radio Network archives.

LEONARD
04-01-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm kinda surprised that Nog being the champ in the UFC doesn't draw Fedor in...he's already smoked him twice... :lol

and that was when Nog was REALLY good...

dallaskd
04-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I cant imagine EliteXC outbidding the UFC. Who does Elite have for Fedor? JT, Kimbo, Ricco, Big Foot?

Evan
04-01-2008, 08:58 PM
I cant imagine EliteXC outbidding the UFC. Who does Elite have for Fedor? JT, Kimbo, Ricco, Big Foot?

Fedor's team wants two things

A truckload of cash and complete freedom.

Well....welcome to capitalism. You can't have both.

They need to chose one or the other. Fedor has now fallen out with three companies, Bodog, M-1 and PRIDE.

Don't forget...there was a ton of weird rumors about problems with Fedor and PRIDE at the end. They were furious at him fighting Lindland and from what I remember they did not want to deal with RedDevil either. Supposedly they used some weird loophole to have the fight in Russia.

oligarchy
04-01-2008, 10:50 PM
We'll see who picks him up. I'm sure UFC is going to lay out the same offer. I think they were offering somewhere around a million last time.

polandprzem
04-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Leak in UFC?

polandprzem
04-05-2008, 01:07 AM
If already posted - sorry

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/OrGaNiK/Fedor.jpg

The following interview was conducted by the Korean MMA site MFight with Fedor Emelianenko:

Q:You will be one of the carriers of the Olympic torch for the Beijing Olympics in St. Petersburg on April 5. How does it feel to represent Russia?
A:(Fedor):I feel very good. I was chosen as one of 5 carriers of the torch. I'm very happy and proud.
(Finkelstein): Many other famous Russian athletes will be carrying the torch including world champion boxer Nikolai Valuev.

Q: Who do you think would be the best opponent for you right now?
A: I don't think about such things. I am an athlete and I just fight. I just fight whoever is put in front of me. I don't think about who I want to fight in particular. I proved everything I had to to myself.

Q: You terminated your collaboration with Sibling Entertainment and Monte Cox. Is there still a possibility of a match against you and Randy Couture? If so, where will it likely be?
A:
(Fedor):I trust my manager Vadim 100%. I agree with whatever he thinks and decides. If he thought severing the relationship between the American side was necessary, there was probably a valid reason for it. We've met with Randy's manager a few times. I think there's definitely a chance that we'd fight each other.
(Finkelstein): I think Randy Couture is the best opponent for Fedor. He has a good style and a good skillset. The fight won't be able to take place now because he's currently under contract with the UFC, but I think I could happen once his contract is up. Fedor also wants the fight to happen.

Q: UFC President Dana White recently said that you weren't the best in the world. What are your thoughts on this comment?
A: I think Dana White is just a very weird person. So I don't particularly care about what he says.

Q: What do you think about the UFC's policy of signing exclusive contracts? Will you be willing to fight under an exclusive contract if they offer you the right money?
A: The offers the UFC has given me so far weren't satisfactory. Like I said before, my manager knows more about these matters. But as far as I know the UFC hasn't given me a good offer.

Q: What are your thoughts on EliteXC?
A: As far as I know my manager Vadim is currently in negotiations with the UFC and EliteXC.

Q: Your most recent fight against Hong-Man Choi has been a major topic of interest in Korea. What do you think about Choi?
A: He's a very huge and interesting fighter. But I was able to beat him.

Q: The move Choi used to take you down was a sireum technique. How effective was it, in your opinion?
A: I don't think the effectiveness of a takedown is that important. In my opinion, the most important thing is the result of the fight. Choi took me down but didn't do that much damage. He only got the top position. The fact that I beat him using technique, is what is important.

Q: M-1 Challenge, which is using a "nation vs nation" format, will be held on April 3 in St. Petersburg. What opinions do you have on this event?
A: An event like this was necessary. Events that can scout promising young prospects are important. Events like this are also good for fighters like myself.

http://www.fightline.com/images/pic/emelianenko.jpg

Q: Do you know which course you'll be running and how long?
A: I don't know yet. There will be a meeting on this on April 3. I'll find out how long I'll be running then.

Q: It's said that you have to be quite famous in Russia to represent the country as the carrier of the Olympic torch. I know it'd be a little awkward for you to answer, but how popular are you in Russia? Do a lot of people recognize you?
A: A lot of people recognize me. People recognize me on the streets but some people just pass by thinking it's just someone who looks like me (laughs.) I sign a lot of autographs. I don't know any statistic regarding my popularity so it'd be hard to tell you exactly how popular I am.

Q: You once said that you respect Alexander Karelin. How popular or influential are you compared to him? People in Korea are curious about your popularity in Russia.
A: I respect Alexander Karelin but I don't think I can compare myself to him. We are in different fields. Aleksander Karelin is Aleksander Karelin, and I am myself. I just want to work hard on what's put in front of me.

Q: You held a seminar in early March in the Netherlands. How did it go?
A: We had a seminar in the Netherlands and a lot of famous fighters were there. There were a lot of people who became interested in the sport while working out at the gym. The seminar was held in a very warm and laid back atmosphere. I really enjoyed it.

Q: Remy Bonjasky, Ernesto Hoost, and Peter Aerts were there as guests. There's a photo circulating around of you putting on a submission on them. What did you guys talk about?
A: We always say hi and talk to each other when we meet. We asked each other how they were doing and talked about training together. They asked me to show them some submissions so I demonstrated some on them.

Q: A lot of fighters seem to be challenging you these days. Kimbo Slice, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and Randy Couture are a few.
A: I fought Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira twice and beat him both times. I heard he became the UFC Champion. I'm not under contract with the UFC so I won't be able to fight him. Randy Couture is a very popular fighter who's very tough. I respect him very much and like him as a person. I think I'll have the opportunity to meet him again in the future.

Q: Several Korean fighters will be participating in the event. Do you have any thoughts on them?
A: I'm afraid I don't as I haven't seen them fight.

Q: Team Russia will be facing Team Japan in M-1 Challenge. It's been said that you've been training with members of the Russian team. What kind of training did you do?
A: Some great trainers including Voranov Vladimir, Nichkov Alexander (I'm probably waaay off with the names as I'm just guessing based on the phonetic pronunciation, sorry.), who built me up trained them. I just played the role of pointing out and correcting common mistakes the fighters tended to make. I trained with them a lot too. I'll probably play a role as trainer more and more from now. But as of now I'm training with them as a trainee. I believe Team Russia will win the battle against Team Japan.

http://ca.c.yimg.jp/sports/sn2004080917461100002532m/sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/fight/pict/200408/im00002532.jpg

Q: There is a lot of changes going on in MMA worldwide. The power is shifting from Japan to the US. How do you see the worldwide MMA scene in 5 years?
A: I think MMA will gain more recognition around the world. I think more people will tune in to the sport. MMA is a new sport and will only get bigger.

Q: Your second daughter was born last year. How do you spend time with your family when you are not training?
A: I take a lot of walks in forests and outdoors and talk to my daughter a lot. She smiles a lot. I spend time with my family whenever I have free time.

Q: Do you still draw pictures in your free time?
A: I do sometimes when I have the time. I draw a lot of pictures for my daughter.

Q: There have been rumors of you making a silver screen debut. Have you been working on your acting for it?
A: No, I'm not doing any acting practice (laughs.)

Q: Mirko Crocop has starred in a movie. Have you seen it by any chance? Although it flopped...
A: Sorry, I haven't seen Crocop's movie.

Q: Russians like to drink. You've probably tried soju in Korea. How much can you drink, in bottles of soju? (soju is a Korean alcoholic beverage with about 20% alcohol, BTW)
A: I did try Korean soju. But I don't drink to find out how much I can drink. I drink occasionally when I meet friends or have an important meeting. I don't drink to get drunk so I don't know how much I can take.

Q: You're known to enjoy theme parks around the world. Where have you been to, and what is your favorite?
A: My favorite place (in terms of theme parks) is Japan. This one rollercoaster in Japan was the most impressive one I've tried. It was great. There was a good ride in Korea too. I like going to theme parks.

Q: Do you have a goal for this year?
A: My goal is to train hard, get many fights, and not lose a single fight. Raising my daughter well is also an important goal. My goals are basically the same as always.

The link is here http://www.fightline.com/news/2008/43/fedor_emelianenko_320923.shtml

Evan
04-05-2008, 07:43 AM
good interview, thank you.

He definitely lets his people run everything...I just hope he is seeing the majority of the money he gets...which I very much doubt.

trueD
04-05-2008, 11:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/OrGaNiK/Fedor.jpg

Just look at that guy, scary.