PDA

View Full Version : Sudafed is evil

Shelly
01-10-2005, 08:04 PM
link (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/special/05/legislature/2985592)

Jan. 10, 2005, 11:51AM

Lawmaker wants to ban drugs like Sudafed
Associated Press

RESOURCES
• Complete coverage: See more stories and resources on the 79th Texas Legislature from the Houston Chronicle.
AUSTIN - A state senator who wants to eliminate from the market drugs that contain mainly pseudoephedrine has introduced a series of four bills for returning lawmakers.

Under the legislation by Sen. Craig Estes, no one would be able to buy drugs like Sudafed in Texas. But he said consumers could still buy other congestion remedies containing the decongestant, as long as it is mixed into capsules and cough syrups.

"We hope the general public will realize that a little inconvenience will go a long way," Estes, R-Wichita Falls, told the Scripps Howard Austin bureau in Monday's editions of the Abilene Reporter-News.

In Oklahoma, passage of state legislation last spring that banned store sales of popular medications like Sudafed and Claritin-D that contain pseudoephedrine, the main ingredient in methamphetamine, was credited with reducing the number of methamphetamine labs during the first six months of 2004.

Police and prosecutors have been "inundated by meth abusers and cookers" who have crossed into Texas after Oklahoma outlawed over-the-counter sales of pseudoephedrine, the main ingredient in methamphetamine production, Estes said.

Restricting sales of common cold remedies that contain the illegal drug's key ingredient could aid in the fight against drugs, said Capt. Doug Kunkle of the Texas Department of Public Safety in Austin.

"It will really reduce the amount of meth they will cook here," Kunkle said. "Anything that can bring us relief ... will be helpful."

DPS officials and other law officers, in a 12-month period that ended in May 2004, busted 934 labs. That number represents a 167 percent increase over a 12-month period ending in December 2002.

"This is drug that is terribly addictive and leads to death and destruction of family and property," Estes said. "It's an overwhelming problem."

The 79th Legislature opens Tuesday.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-10-2005, 09:24 PM
We're going to be a pretty wacky state if we ban Sudafed and allow Mary Jane to be a traffic ticket.

tsb2000
01-11-2005, 01:55 AM
In Arizona, Sudafed and Enfamil baby formula are both sold behind the counter. Apparently for the same reason. :wtf

AlamoSpursFan
01-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Your state leg is also trying to make it illegal to get a drink at midnight on your 21st birthday and require a person to REGISTER (ala buying a GUN) to buy a freaking KEG OF BEER!

:rolleyes

MannyIsGod
01-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Why can't Leticia Van DePUKE work on some way to fix the schools in her district? I fucking hate that woman.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Your state leg is also trying to make it illegal to get a drink at midnight on your 21st birthday and require a person to REGISTER (ala buying a GUN) to buy a freaking KEG OF BEER!

:rolleyes

ASF, I didn't know about the registration to buy a keg. Can you link me to something about it.

I already have a reporter working on the alcohol at 7AM on birthday story and the marijuana possession.

MannyIsGod
01-11-2005, 09:13 AM
It's part of the same bill dude so unless your reporter is stupid, they'll find it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-11-2005, 09:22 AM
It's part of the same bill dude so unless your reporter is stupid, they'll find it.

H.B. 36?

Nothing there, buddy.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-11-2005, 09:27 AM
It's H.B. 193.

tlongII
01-11-2005, 09:30 AM
This is one step in combatting the meth problem. Meth addiction is a HUGE problem in our state. I think it's a good idea.

bigzak25
01-11-2005, 10:00 AM
funny, i've been thinking of taking it as a supplement and as a substitute for ephedra products.....nasal decongestant will help you breath better and the medicine does give you an energy boost like the other ephedra based supplements did......maybe it's time to stock up.

MannyIsGod
01-11-2005, 10:07 AM
my bad JB

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-11-2005, 10:08 AM
'Cause buying loads of Sudafed won't tipoff the cops, right, Zak?

On a side note - I can't fucking type today. I haven't hit the backspace button so much in a long while.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-11-2005, 10:09 AM
my bad JB

Don't worry. The more we have, the easier it's going to be to fill those 12 pages I have in the first issue next Tuesday.

MannyIsGod
01-11-2005, 10:44 AM
I thinkyou should do a 10 page expose on Hook Dem

AlamoSpursFan
01-11-2005, 10:59 AM
The crap about not getting booze before 7 is fucking retarded. Because some dumb broad's dipshit Aggie son drank himself to death on his 21st birthday she has to fuck things up for everybody.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-11-2005, 11:02 AM
The crap about not getting booze before 7 is fucking retarded. Because some dumb broad's dipshit Aggie son drank himself to death on his 21st birthday she has to fuck things up for everybody.

Why do I have the feeling that's going to be the exact wording of the bulk of Texas State students in the story?

Useruser666
01-11-2005, 11:03 AM
So can't people just buy the beer the day before and then drink themselves to death the next? A little planning people!!!

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-11-2005, 11:11 AM
So can't people just buy the beer the day before and then drink themselves to death the next? A little planning people!!!

I think the point is not to sell beer to people before 7AM the day of their birthday.

*Smack*

AlamoSpursFan
01-11-2005, 11:41 AM
It just means they have to wait until 7am to drink themselves to death instead of doing it at midnight.

Nothing like a seven hour waiting period to off yourself with the sauce.

Useruser666
01-11-2005, 01:36 PM
I think the point is not to sell beer to people before 7AM the day of their birthday.

*Smack*

How shitty is it to have to buy beer for yourself on your birthday!!! No wonder you're drinking yourself to death!

T Park
01-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Nothing like the good ole government to come up with retarded things like Sudafed and preventing buying till 7 am.

Only the government would have an idea as stupid as that.

Hes gonna drink whether it be at 12 or 7.

Plus, dont think there wont be friends that will buy booze for him???

This is plain stupid.

SpursWoman
01-11-2005, 02:08 PM

In the incident they site in the proposal, which I assume this all originated...was that his friends did buy him waaaaaay too many celebratory drinks. :fro

T Park
01-11-2005, 06:40 PM
guys or people that age are gonna find a way around it.

Making up stupid laws to prevent such a worthless cause is such a beurocratic waste of time.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Nothing like the good ole government to come up with retarded things like Sudafed and preventing buying till 7 am.

Only the government would have an idea as stupid as that.

Hes gonna drink whether it be at 12 or 7.

This is plain stupid.

There actually is some sound research showing that such a ban does reduce alcohol-related vehicle deaths. Other states have implemented laws like this with pretty good success. I'd support it if I were still one of you silly Texans.

scott
01-11-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm an alumnist, you should interview me JB.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-11-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm an alumnist, you should interview me JB.

I'll see, but I'll keep you as a contact for future stories.

scott
01-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Seriously, we can discuss my arrowhead collection.

Kori Ellis
01-11-2005, 11:11 PM
In Arizona, Sudafed and Enfamil baby formula are both sold behind the counter. Apparently for the same reason.

You can make Meth out of baby formula??

desflood
01-12-2005, 12:49 PM
In Arizona, Sudafed and Enfamil baby formula are both sold behind the counter. Apparently for the same reason. :wtf
Enfamil is probably sold behind because baby formula is so damned expensive people steal it whenever they can. And I'm sure some rival drug company paid this guy off.